• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Werther

Lt. General
87 Badges
Jan 26, 2010
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Island Bound
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
NNYzTbO.png

Hello and welcome to Crowns of the Levant, a somewhat special narrative AAR. Why special?
  • I am not a native speaker
This is perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind. I have been writing AAR for more than 10 years now, but always in French. The French-speaking AAR forum is slowly dying out, though, so I decided to try my luck here as well. I tried to translate as best as I could, but you may notice some mistakes or strange turns of phrase. I apologise in advance. If you are a French speaker, you can read the AAR in it original version here, I'm gonna try to post simultaneously in the two languages.
  • It is a spin-off
This AAR is indeed derived from another one, which you can consult here. But it is not at all necessary to have read it. It is even an advantage since you will be more easily immersed in a world with a rich history of which you will not master all the ins and outs (as in real life).
  • The previous AAR
The previous AAR was a historical book retracing the history of the Montoires, the dynasty descended from Hugues I the Great, brother of the french king Philippe I. The first two books told the story of the Council of Clermont (1095), the First Crusade and the foundation of the Kingdom of Jerusalem (1096-1099). The following books recounted the reigns of the six kings of Jerusalem until the coronation of Hugues III the Glorious as Emperor in 1274.

As I said, knowing as little as possible is almost an advantage. I will nevertheless provide some info at the beginning of the AAR (maps, family trees...) to help you.
  • This AAR
This is a narrative AAR that begins in 1297, 23 years after the end of the previous AAR. It focuses on the 17 years that changed the history of the East.
  • Game version
This game was played (and completed) over a year ago, in version 1.2.2, before the DLCs. It doesn't really matter to us anyway. I only used cosmetic mods. The game was not played in Ironman (more convenient when you write an AAR) but I never reload..
  • Miscellaneous
I played RP based on the traits of my characters. Even if it is a narrative AAR, all situations, events, characters (their traits and characteristics) are based on what happened in the game.
  • Pace of publication
The first part of four chapters has been written and will be published quickly. The pace will slow down after that. I will take my time. It must remain a pleasure.

If in the French version all the names of the characters (even Greek) are Frenchized, it is not the case in English where I kept the original spelling.

I really hope you enjoy reading this AAR!

Last edited:
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Appendix
og1Uneb.png

The two Empires

krN2qzZ.png

The previous Kings of Jerusalem

DIadjNA.png

The Montoire family tree

7ocLKmC.jpg

The Komnenos-Palemonaitis family tree

RJu2G9v.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
BOOK I - Chapter I. Agathe
rkuEPl5.png

0RQinyx.png

Like all the streets of Jerusalem, the thoroughfare leading to the gate of St. Etienne was narrow. So the imperial procession had stretched out in a long column making its way painfully through the holy city. The Guard had great difficulty in clearing a path through the crowd of onlookers who had come to admire this procession of great lords.

The column was strictly hierarchical. Humble knights and courtiers closed the ranks, preceded by a myriad of powerful barons and ladies dressed in rich materials. The head of the procession was reserved for the councilors and members of the imperial family, the Montoires.

As the oldest child of the emperor, Agathe was ahead of them all. The princess had the greatest difficulty walking. The summer had extended into the heart of autumn and a stifling heat had descended on the holy city. Agathe wiped her forehead and readjusted her veil in the hope of escaping the sun's rays and keeping her composure.

A self-control that her younger sister Isabelle, who was walking beside her, was incapable of: "What was Father thinking by demanding us to come to Jerusalem so early in the year? It was so mild in the Palace of the Wise."​

O7gonJU.png

Princess Isabelle and her son Hugues the By-Blow

Usually the imperial court spent most of its summer and early autumn at the Palace of the Wise, built on the heights of the Judean mountains, or at the Palace of the Broken, built by the sea. Normally, the return to the imperial palace in Jerusalem did not take place until mid-October.​

hjDrKkF.png

The Palaces

"Father has been fighting for three years in Mesopotamia against the Mohammedans, replied Agathe calmly. The least we can do is to give him a proper welcome when he returns from his campaign."

She knew that the heat was not the cause of her youngest daughter's worry. Since the scandal broke, not a moment had passed without Isabelle trembling at the thought of Father's return. And that day had arrived, so she could not help but cast anxious glances at her young son, Hugues the By-Blow, who rode beside them.

As for the young man, he was completely unaware of his mother's fears. He kept staring at the guards and the crowd with a half-fearful, half-fascinated expression on his face.

"My aunt, aren't those villeins going to come after us?" asked young Hugh the By-Blow in a feverish voice as he watched a group of men being pushed aside by a guard.

"The grandson of an emperor should not fear little men," replied Agathe, smiling at her young nephew. At twelve years of age, Isabelle's natural son looked no older than eight. He was shy by nature, but the princess liked him very much, perhaps because he reminded her of the child she would never have. She had insisted on taking him with her, despite the recriminations of her half-sisters Béatrice and Ève who thought it unseemly to welcome Father with a bastard.

Seeking to divert her attention from the crowd, Agathe pointed to the St. Etienne's Gate they were approaching. "Do you see that mighty gate flanked by two great towers? At the time of the Crusade, the Mohammedans called it the Damascus Gate and it marked the northern boundary of the city.” Two hundred years later, Jerusalem was the capital of a vast empire stretching from the Taurus Mountains to Aden and from Libya to Mesopotamia. The city had long since spilled over its walls and suburbs extended beyond the gate.

The boy's eyes sparkled at the mention of the Crusade. "Is this the gate mentioned in the chronicle that Father Ancel made me read? The one through which our ancestor entered the city? That is the exploit that would have earned him the crown!​

6obiRL2.png

The Siege of Jerusalem (1099)

"No," corrected Agathe. Hugues the Great stormed the Gate of Flowers, the present-day St. Magdalene Poterne. But don't be ashamed of your mistake, this is precisely because of this mistake that gave birth to the tradition of welcoming the sovereign at St. Etienne's Gate.."

"Just like we're going to do for Grand-Father after his campaign against the Infidels!"

Agathe nodded with a smile, pleased to see that her nephew had completely forgotten his fear.

“One day," swelled the boy with pride, "it will be my turn to go through the gate after I have fought against the enemies of our Lord. I will honor my name and those of my ancestors!"

Agathe saw her sister's face break down in grief. She herself could not help feeling sorry for Hugues. He seemed particularly proud to bear a name so important to the Montoires that the many Hugues should be distinguished by sobriquets. But the By-Blow was a reference to his bastardy, so the young man was unlikely to lead any man into battle. He would learn his place soon enough, as Agathe had done.

As they were about to pass through the gate, they saw several young street boys sitting casually on the battlements. One of them was perched on the statue of Saint Etienne that topped the gate.

“My aunt! cried Hugues indignantly. This is a sacrilege against our Holy Patriarch!"

"It's a statue of the martyr Saint Etienne who lived in Roman times," Agathe explained, "not Saint Etienne of Jerusalem."

This name drew Isabelle from her dreams. “A holy man, she said, croissing herself."

"Have you met him, Mother?"

"I was far too young to remember him at all. Your aunt, on the other hand, knew him well."

Agathe smiled as she saw the young man's greedy look. In response, she took the small jeweled box that hung around her neck and opened it, revealing a small flask. "I have kept the ampoule with which, nearly half a century ago, the holy man baptised me. My grandfather, Hugues II the Broken, after the Dark Years, had the wisdom to entrust him and handed him the reins of the kingdom. For 26 years he guided Jerusalem, brought peace and prosperity, while loyally serving the Broken as well as the Glorious." She kissed the relic and closed the reliquary. "I had it made 25 years ago, in honor of the visit to Jerusalem of Our Holy Father Eugene IV. Before conferring the imperial title to Father, the Pope proclaimed Etienne’s saintliness and made him our patron saint. I never was as happy as the day I learned about the holiness of the one who had baptised and instructed me."​

2MkI92U.png

Saint Etienne of Jerusalem

The imperial procession stopped in the square on the other side of the gate. Large banners in the colours of the Empire and the Montoire family had been placed here and there, and a dais had been set up for the council members. Two rows of guards were deployed to contain the inhabitants of the suburbs and to divert the many merchants towards the Josaphat’s Gate.

Agathe hastened to place the family members in a row in front of the gate. A prestigious position, but one that had the disadvantage of exposing them to the sun's rays. So she hurriedly sent for umbrella bearers.​

eFP16Y9.png

Princesses Eve and Béatrice

It was at this moment that her two half-sisters came to see her. The skinny Eve was suffering badly from the heat, so it was Béatrice who spoke up: "Agathe. We must insist. The bastard can't stay here, you know how he feels about it." She had said her last words while looking at Isabelle with a disdainful air. The latter could not contain herself for long:

"My dear Béatrice, if only legitimate children had the right to welcome Father, there would not be many of us in front of this gate."

"Enough!" intervened Agathe. As the eldest, she got on with all her siblings and was uncomfortable when they were arguing. The infidelity of Father's two wives had cast a shadow over the legitimacy of all his children and the issue was taboo between siblings. Accusations of bastardy were nevertheless common against those who did not share the same mother.

She turned to her nephew: "Young man, you will attend the return of your Grandfather with your cousin Hugues the White.

It was a good compromise, which satisfied both the young man and his three sisters. Hugues the White was the son of his brother Hugues the Dark. A legitimate member of the imperial family, he was afflicted with a skin disease, so he and his drunkard mother, the duchess Catherine, were on the dais, sheltered from the sun.​

9bgB4UR.png

The Duchess Catherine and her son Prince Hugues the White

When Eve and Beatrice were satisfied and withdrew, Isabelle was able to let her anger explode: "I hope to have the joy of seeing these two bastards faint before me!

"Isabelle!" lectured Agathe.

"Spare me with your moral lessons, dear sister. You didn't have to suffer the smugness of those two bitches so proud of their unions with dukes. Their mother would have been found out sooner and they would also have made misalliances like me and Marthe.

"Marthe married in the family of the despot of Anatolia"

"To the despot's brother you mean, who has no chance of ever inheriting. As for me... I had to marry that clod Etienne. A mere knight! And in the service of our cousin Guichard, moreover, Béatrice’s own husband. When she became Duchess of Cairo, she wasted no time in pointing out that my husband was only a servant of hers. I'm sure it was she who revealed the affair!”

She was ranting and Agathe thought for a moment that she was going to throw herself at Béatrice. A few months ago, the scandal was on everyone's lips. In her youth, Isabelle had been so promiscuous that she had given birth to a bastard, young Hugues le Mal-né. Father had quickly hushed up the affair by marrying her to Etienne d'Eu, a man she had never loved even though she had given him two sons and two daughters. She ended up cheating on him with a common man and gave birth to a new child, little Aubry, who was not legitimate. When the affair was discovered, Isabelle was locked up for a few days before Father sent a message to have her released. She had since remained at court, away from her husband. She was a brave woman, but Agathe felt that she feared more than anything else the reaction of the emperor, who had not mentioned the affair once in his many letters.​

Xc4gtLQ.png

The scandal

I never understood why Father never married you off, his favourite," sighed Isabelle. I used to feel sorry for you... But now I know that he has given you the most beautiful present, and I envy you."

This confession took Agathe by surprise. It provoked a flush of anger in her. A present? Such a life? While my sisters married powerful lords and bore many children, Father condemned me to a life of celibacy and solitude! While my brothers were promised the Empire or powerful lordships, my sex forbade me to rule even a barony. Even God's love was denied to me when he refused to let me take vows! Who am I now? A 47 year old virgin, playing the role of surrogate mother for quarrelsome siblings, and even for a mother-in-law who is 15 years my junior!

Agathe was about to explode and reply curtly to her sister, but she was saved in extremis by the young boy perched on the statue of Saint Etienne.

"They're here! They're coming!" The news was greeted by exclamations from the crowd, and a few sighs of relief from the court members.

Agathe recomposed herself and swept away her gloomy thoughts. She turned to look at the long column of soldiers that had just appeared. It approached with a determined step, raising a long plume of smoke and sand behind it. The princess found it difficult to estimate how many footmen there were. A few hundred, no more than a thousand. She was surprised by their small numbers. Perhaps Father had had to leave more men than he had expected in the East to defeat the last of the Mohammedan resistance?

A few more minutes and Agathe could see the two dozen horsemen who preceded the column. She recognised some of the great lords and her brothers Hugues the Dark, Henri and Etienne.​

1ik0266.png

Princes Henri, Hugues the Dark, Etienne and Duke Onfroy

The first two had a love-hate relationship. Physically very similar with their jet-black hair and tall stature, they were both very religious and spent most of their time together, so Agathe was not surprised to see them riding side by side. But their characters were very different. As much as Hugues the Dark was arrogant and impulsive, Henri was calm and temperate. Their rivalry had been exacerbated when Father had entrusted each of them with a duchy between the Tigris and the Euphrates to compensate for the new law of succession that made Jean, their oldest brother, the sole heir of the emperor.

Etienne had also received land, but further north. With his red hair, he stood out from his half-brothers, to whom he was not close. He was a quiet man, not very talkative, and Agathe had always found it very difficult to understand him. He rode a little apart, alongside their distant cousin Onfroy. Agathe did not like this one very much. Angry and stingy, he seemed incapable of making a decision on his own and invariably followed the strongest.

All eyes, however, were on the man at the front of the procession whom a herald soon announced: "His Imperial Majesty, Hugues the Glorious, third of his name, Emperor and King of Jerusalem, Sovereign of Syria and Egypt!”​

eWP0hdz.png

Hugues III the Glorious, Emperor of Jerusalem

Mounted on a great white steed, the most powerful man in Christendom slowly made his way to the dais of the councilors. Hugues the Glorious was not a handsome man, his great height and thinness made him look like an emaciated giant. His features, marked by years, were common and his short-cropped hair contrasted with the beautiful hair of many great lords. But the emperor of Jerusalem exuded an irresistible charisma.

"Mylords, it is a joy to see my most faithful servants again after so many years." His energetic tone, warm voice and kind smile were able to convince any audience, so much so that the Greeks called him Chryssiglossa, "Golden Tongue". The emperor had a word for each member of the council and then greeted the great lords of the kingdom and even the delegation of burghers from the city. Then he turned towards the great gate and, in a loud voice, addressed the crowd:

"My heart rejoices to see once more Our Holy and Beautiful City and its proud people." Some cheers greeted his words. "To celebrate my return, my people will distribute victuals at vespers in the great squares of the city and Jerusalem will be exempt from taxation until the day of the Lord." The crowd exploded with joy while Duke Guerech, the steward, seemed on the verge of collapse. The Glorious generosity was proverbial, much to the chagrin of those who held the office of treasurer.

Hugues III then walked towards the imperial family. All bowed respectfully. Beatrice and Eve hastened to introduce their children, who seemed to please the emperor. The reunion was colder with Isabelle.

"Where is your new son Isabelle?"

The emperor was clearly not referring to one of his daughter's two legitimate sons, but to his new bastard. Isabelle was white as a sheet, her self-confidence had evaporated and she now looked like a young girl ready to be scolded.

"In... in the palace, Father."

"I expect him to be present at the audience," Father said curtly. Isabelle bowed and disappeared, leaving Agathe alone with the emperor.

"My daughter! I am so happy to see you again!" His expression had completely changed, he was now smiling broadly and went so far as to take her by the shoulders.

"It's also a great joy, Father," she says while bowing.

"I wish to see you by my side as I enter the city." He raised a hand and one of his squires led a horse to the princess. Agathe obeyed her father and climbed onto the horse's back. She was about to go behind the emperor, next to her brothers when the Glorious stopped her."

"No, my daughter. I want to see you ride at my right hand." Agathe was not the only one astounded by such an honour. Her brothers and sisters looked at her with a mixture of surprise and jealousy."

Thus Hugues III and Agathe made their entry into Jerusalem amidst cheers. On the other side of the gate, the crowd was much more compact and hundreds of inhabitants had invaded the narrow streets and balconies to catch a glimpse of the royal procession, which was having the greatest difficulty in progressing.

"I was surprised not to see my wife."

"The Empress was not feeling well, she is waiting for you at the palace."

A shadow passed briefly over the emperor's face. Agathe knew that her father had been plagued by suspicion since his misfortunes with his first two wives, although he had little to worry about. Agathe's young mother-in-law was nothing like women of the stature of Maria Komnenos or Athanasia Bryennios. Reserved and isolated, she spent most of her time in her quarters praying or weaving, leaving the running of the palace to Agathe.

"Is Bouchard ready?

"The Patriarch is waiting for you at the Holy Sepulchre to give you his blessing."

"I want him to accompany me to the palace, to attend the Council."

"You want to convene the Council after the ceremony at the palace?"

"Before. I must discuss with the councilors the announcements I will make at the audience." Agathe was surprised and wondered what urgent business could compel her father to postpone the imperial audience."

"I will give orders to prepare the council chamber." She straightened in her saddle. "Two Greeks request an audience, Father."

"Two? One would have been enough."

"They are not part of the same delegation... The most important one is undoubtedly Hippolytos Taronites, the son of Timotheos, Despot of Armenia who is in charge of Constantinple’s diplomacy."

"And who does he represent this time? Is he an ambassador of the little girl? Or is she already overthrown?"

"Basilissa Helena II still reigns, and it is her that he represents."​

xC6oMCz.png

Princess and former basilissa Helena I Komnenos, Basilissa Helena II Palemonaitis and Princess Dorothea Komnenos

"Constantinople has become more lenient towards the Palemonaitis, usually they are quickly overthrown without my support. Sometimes I don't have time to remember their names when they have already abdicated." Since the terrible defeat of Vanand against the Mongols 24 years earlier and the emergence of the Jerusalem Empire as the new great power in the East, the Greeks had entered a period of turmoil, which some scholars did not hesitate to call "the Greek Anarchy". While Jerusalem had always lived in the shadow of the Greeks, the situation had now been reversed, and all the great Roman families were looking to Holy City."​

45bFX7N.png

0QDjVXi.png

The defeat of Vanand (1273) and the Greek Anarchy

"Who is the second one? A representative of my daughter-in-law Dorothea? If I refused to support her claims when she sent me Jean as ambassador, my own son and heir, she should know that I would not be convinced by a stranger."

"No, Father. Since Jean left, Dorothea has not sent any emissaries. This is Prince Narses, who was once co-emperor, he represents Helena Komnenos, the former empress."

"So Helena I clung to her dream of restoration. The Komnenos are decidedly incorrigible." His face darkened. "Treachery is in their blood, I learned that thanks to her."

The emperor refused to speak the name of Mother, Maria Komnenos the Younger. The chilling memory of that night came back to Agathe’s mind. Decades later, she could still remember the horrible cell, its smell, and her weakened mother who had lost her mind months or years ago. The former queen of Jerusalem was still holding the hand of Eunike, Agathe’s half sister. The princess did her best to dismiss the memory to not faint.​

fjh1yi5.png

Maria Komnenos the Younger and Eunike

“Helena has lost her throne, she must come to terms with that," the emperor said coldly. “But I will meet her emissary, in my apartments before the council.

"It will be done, Father," replied Agathe, who was still trying to banish her memories. "What about Hippolytos Taronites ?"

"I will grant him his audience... even if he will not be happy about it," the emperor continued in an enigmatic tone.

"Where is Count Errard, Father? This is the first time I have not seen him at your side." Errard was a man of humble origins who, through his prowess on the lice and battlefields, had been elevated to knighthood by the Glorious. This quiet and modest man had led his fathers' troops for years and was rewarded with a fiefdom. He was perhaps the only true friend of Hugues III and usually followed him like his shadow.

"He is in Tripoli, with the army." Noticing the confusion on his daughter's face, he added with an enigmatic smile, "I'll probably still need my bannermen, but you don't need to know more."

They soon arrived in front of the huge Church of the Holy Sepulchre where the Patriarch welcomed them. After a prayer and a blessing, the procession headed back to the Imperial Palace. Built under Hugues I the Great, the building was still as austere as ever despite the work undertaken by King Henri II the Coward and his wife Queen Heliodora to make it lose its fortress-like appearance.

The emperor dismounted and then greeted the empress who was waiting for him at the door. The reunion took place without much effusiveness and was short-lived. Hugues III hurried to the council room to talk with his advisors and the Patriarch, leaving the organisation of the imperial audience to Agathe. She prepared the throne room, unfurling the great banners of the House of Montoire and the Empire of Jerusalem and large tapestries depicting the key moments of the reigns of Hugh I, Henry I the Wise and Henry III the Younger. The empress was seated on the throne to the right of the emperor, the imperial family was placed on the first steps, while the great ones were given places of honour on either side of the great hall.

Eventually the council members arrived, most of them with a worried look on their faces.

Eventually his Father made his entrance, escorted by several members of the Imperial Guard. He had changed, wearing magnificent clothes and a cloak held together by golden threads. On his head he had placed the heavy imperial crown which was only taken out on special occasions. He sat on the imposing throne surmounted by the fleur-de-lis and the Jerusalem cross. Patriarch Bouchard stood to the left of the emperor.​

WoiTYoz.png

Emperor Hugues III the Glorious

"People of Jerusalem! The voice of the Glorious carried through the vast hall. Our Lord, in His infinite goodness, has granted us a new victory over the Infidels. I have recently learned of the fall of the last Mohammedan places in Mesopotamia. The total surrender of our enemies will not be long.” This news was greeted with cheers. The Emperor waited for calm to return before resuming. "Respecting the rights and customs established by my ancestor Hugues the Great, I refuse to keep these new lands for myself and I will therefore proceed to grant the fiefs."

He called several knights who had participated in his campaigns and handed over castles and baronies to them. All of them paid homage to him according to the ancient custom from across the seas. Then came the turn of the county of Kufa, a large fiefdom prized by many courtiers.

"Bring me Aubry de Montoire." A rumour arose in the room. Completely disoriented, Isabelle approached Father with her newborn child in her arms. She seemed to be afraid that he would devour him, but the emperor merely laid his hand on the baby's forehead: "Here is the new Count of Kufa."​

8yAlQqB.png

Aubry de Montoi, Count of Kufa

The murmurs increased. Handing over a fief to a newborn, a bastard at that, did not seem to go down well with the nobles who had not been chosen. With a gesture, the Emperor imposed silence and his will.

Isabelle broke down in tears and was about to thank the Glorious when he cut her off: "Aubry will need the support of her mother who will watch over her lands. Isabelle will leave this evening for the East.”

Isabelle, seemed completely lost: "What about my other children?"

"Etienne’s children will remain in Jerusalem where they will receive an education worthy of their rank... the other will enter priesthood.” Lower so no courtiers could hear, Father added: “Your mother's cursed blood runs in your veins, and I am now sure that you have not a drop of mine. I don’t ever want to see you here again. You were never my daughter, you are no longer a princess.”

Shocked, Isabelle did not react. She almost had to be dragged out of the room. Agathe's heart sank as the door closed on her.

But the investiture ceremony was not over. Patriarch Bouchard came forward accompanied by a deacon carrying a heavy wooden box. "His Imperial Majesty, like Alexander the Great, has gone to Noah's Land to slay the legions of Gog and Magog. He has made the lands of the ancient kings of Babylon his own." A squire came forward and removed the imperial crown from the head of the emperor, who knelt before the patriarch, who continued. "Through him the will of God has been fulfilled, so he will receive the crown of the Ancient Kingdom of Mesopotamia."

The deacon opened the little box and Bouchard took out a beautifully crafted gold crown. Then he placed it on the head of the ruler before blessing him once more. "Rise, Hugues, first King of Mesopotamia. The emperor did so to the cheers of the audience.

"Three crowns already adorn my head. A fourth would only weigh it down unnecessarily." He turned to the princes. "Hugues, kneel before your emperor."

Hugues the Dark was as surprised as the audience. Full of arrogance and pride, he strode confidently to his father and dropped to one knee. The Glorious placed the crown on his son's head before uttering the consecrated words: "Rise, Hugues, second King of Mesopotamia".​

aYKAf74.png

Hugues the Dark receives Mesopotamia

The whole court cheered the new ruler, and then Hugues's wife Catherine was brought in. By elevating this drunkard to the rank of Queen, Father and God are definitely putting me on test, thought Agathe. The couple were blessed by Patriarch Bouchard and then seated on a throne to the left of the emperor. They received tributes from their new vassals, including Henri, who found it hard to hide his jealousy and disappointment.​

gevKEdh.png

Queen Catherine, Patriarch Bouchard, King Hugues II the Dark and the Kingdom of Mesopotamia

The great ceremony was not over, however. The Glorious held an audience for what seemed like hours, settling one by one various disputes of the empire's leading figures. As always when he was not dealing with a member of his family, the emperor was particularly charming and convincing, managing to find the right words and compromises to end the most devious conflicts.

Agathe wondered, however, whether her father was playing a trick on Hippolytos Taronites, the Greek ambassador. The latter was becoming increasingly impatient and nervous. Giving priority to the debts of small Egyptian barons was clearly an offence to the empress's representative.​

5r7zuQh.png

Hippolytos Taronites

When the last applicant had left the room, Taronites was finally called. The ambassador hid his displeasure admirably and stepped forward to face the throne. He knelt in Frankish fashion and then, in a not very good French of Outremer, recited a speech that had probably been repeated many times: "Her Majesty the Basilissa Helena wishes to congratulate the great King Hugues who has led Our Faith to a new victory against the Infidels. She graces him with purple robes and a relic of St. Simeon as a token of eternal friendship." The ambassador made a grand theatrical gesture as two of his servants presented the imperial gifts. "The Basilissa hopes that Jerusalem will renew the Ancient Alliance with the Roman Empire."

The speech was probably not as successful as expected. The room was suddenly plunged into a great silence, and the ambassador soon seemed embarrassed. Nevertheless, the Glorious finally made a sign to the eunuch who was carrying the large piece of purple cloth. He took it carefully and seemed to examine it attentively. Without looking up, the emperor replied in a soft voice: "You may thank your empress for this gift.” He suddenly looked up, and stared at the young man. "Are you the son of the despot Timotheos Maronites?"

Agathe knew that her father spoke perfect Greek, but he deliberately used French, forcing the ambassador to resort to a translation by one of his eunuchs.

“Yes," the young man simply replied.

"It would have been pleasant to see a person of his status at the court of an emperor." Father had emphasised the last word and Agathe heard the eunuch whisper basileus in his master's ear. The latter's face broke down. He clearly did not know how to react to such an insult to his skills and status. The last word was also an invitation to recognise the Glorious as an equal of the Basilissa. But for a Greek, it was mainly a question of lowering her to the level of a Frankish ruler.

"I am sure your father would have done wonderfully. A man of such intelligence and respect for protocol would have prostrated to the emperor, for such is the custom among the Greeks." The eunuch was translating, Agathe clearly heard the word proskynesis. Hippolytos Taronites was clearly on the verge of exploding in anger. The emperor was attacking the Romanity of his empire, a red line that should not normally be crossed.

The Glorious nevertheless lightened the mood with a big smile: "So be it! Your father is probably very busy, I can understand that. I am quite willing to renew the alliance between Constantinople and Jerusalem. I have many grandsons. Let her choose one. Although I would propose Prince Jean, the eldest son of my heir. He is about the same age as her and has lived in her empire since birth. What's more, he's the great-grandson of a Basileus. What better way to reconcile the descendants of Emperor Pantaleon's two sisters than by a marriage between their grandchildren?"

The ambassador was particularly embarrassed: "The Basilissa is already promised to Valerios Monomachos."

"He must be a powerful lord to prevent an alliance between our two empires."

The Greek looked increasingly uncomfortable: "Love is sometimes... mysterious." Clearly, even the ambassador saw this union as a mismatch.

"Love means something for troubadours. But rulers only understand Duty.” The emperor's voice had become harsher. “Wouldn't the Palemonaitis have learned this from the Komnenos when they were about to take their throne?"

"The Basilissa is a Komnenos! The direct descendant of Basileus Manuel IV!"

"Through women," the emperor cut him off. The tension was now unbearable, even the imperial guards moved into position, as if the ambassador was going to throw himself at the Glorious.

The latter again disarmed his interlocutor by adopting a friendly tone: "It doesn't matter. I am not a chronicler, and I have not mastered all the subtleties of my neighbours' inheritance laws. This will not prevent me from renewing my alliance with Helena II. I will therefore be satisfied with the Empress and the Patriarch of Constantinople recognition of the authority of our Holy Father Alexander IV.

-I've heard enough!" Hippolytos Taronites finally exploded, it was clearly too much for him. "The Empire of the Romans will not prostitute itself and lose its soul to gain the favour of a heretic barbarian!"

The emperor's drogman hastened to translate the ambassador's words, causing a wave of indignation in the audience. Several guards almost intervened and arrested Hippolytos, but the Emperor held them back: "No emissary will ever be molested in my lands. But you are no longer welcome here, Hippolytos Taronites. Go back to your mistress, and tell her well that the descendants of God's Crusaders will not suffer such insults."

When the ambassador left, the emperor stood up and addressed the great lords: "Great Lords of the Holy Land! Your forefathers crossed the seas with my illustrious ancestor Hugues the Great! They shed their blood to free the tomb of Christ from the Infidels! What did the effeminate Greeks do despite their promises to help them? Nothing! While our forefathers were dying under the walls of the Holy City, the Greeks were tearing each other apart and seizing Sinai! Did they help us when we overthrew the Fatimid power and took back the banks of the Nile?"

"No!" exclaimed the barons as one.

"Did they support us in our struggles against the Seljuks? When we were retaking Syria?"

"No!"

"Did they come to support us in the Yemeni Wars against Sultan Aram, the son of the Antichrist?"

"No!"

"When the Scourge of God, the Great Khatun Gulçiçek, rose from the Mongolian plains to sack Constantinople, who came to save them?"

"We came!"

"And how do they reward our sacrifice? With insults! These depraved and murderous rulers, who do not hesitate to spill the blood of their own family! They scorn our Holy Father! They call themselves followers of Christ, but they are followers of Judah! They only dream of one thing, to take over the tomb of Christ to sell it for 30 pieces of silver!"

As the great hall was now in turmoil, Agathe was putting the pieces of the puzzle together. The few men accompanying Father, the ost in Tripoli, the secret meeting with Helena I's envoy, the council meeting, the insults to Hippolytos...

"Tomorrow, with the whole court and His Holiness Bouchard, we will leave to join the ost in Tripoli. We will follow in the footsteps of our fathers. We will take up the Cross. My Lords! Yesterday we triumphed over the Infidels! Tomorrow we will punish the Schismatics!"

Agathe was now convinced that the Glorious had planned everything…​

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Chapter II. Hugues the Dark
HB4JYm3.png

The promontory offered a breathtaking view of Lake Tiberias which stretched as far as the eye could see. Hugh spent some time admiring it while his host droned on about the history of his ancestors.
quiDRdr.png

Duke Alain and Duchess Wulfhilde

"Did you know that it was Valerian, sixth Duke of Tiberias, who built the port you see below?" Alain II of Immaddin, Duke of Tiberias stroked his long beard as he hobbled over to Hugues. "He wished to compensate for the loss of his suzerainty over Acre, after... Bouchard's revolt." For a few seconds the old man was embarrassed to recall the involvement of his ancestor, Valerian the Imprudent, in the revolt against King Henri III. But he did not back down. "I was just thinking of telling Our Majesty about it, but your father has been locked in the flower room since he arrived. I agree with him, it is a magnificent place to work, my ancestor the Duchess Aurengarde had brought artists from Crete to paint floral ornaments on the walls. It is not the first time that it has been used as a council room for a sovereign, Henri II held a council there at the time of Duke Immamadin, who was then...

"My husband!” interjected Countess Wulfhilde, "Don't annoy my royal cousin with such frivolities.” Hugues would almost have hugged his "cousin", so much did the cripple's pointless chatter try his patience.

"Um... yes. May Your Majesty forgive me. Anyway, I was wondering if you could tell your..."

"My kingly brother will probably tell our father," intervened Etienne who had just appeared with their cousin Onfroy.

Kingly half-brother, Hugues corrected inwardly. But he was not unhappy with this intervention. He had little patience with this kind of sycophant and was about to explode.

"I was just thinking of joining him," added Hughes. But I should like to take my wife back to our chambers first."

Catherine was already on her third glass of wine, but she quickly understood her husband's ploy. She smiled at her hosts before adding: "It is true that the journey was tiring... and so long, such a procession is impressive but so slow. And we still have a long way to go to Tripoli. I must rest. Then I will go to confession in your chapel... if you have one."

Duchess Wulfhilde replied with a forced smile. "Absolutely, Your Majesty can visit our magnificent chapel. You could also go to St. Pierre's Church in the town. It's mostly commoners who pray there but..."

Duke Alain quickly understood the insinuation and preferred to cut short the discussion which was about to turn sour. "My son!" Alain, his heir, ran up. "Take Their Majesties to their Chambers. You will be very pleased, they were built and fitted out by Duke Alderic in..."

"Thank you," Hugues cut him off. He and his wife followed Alain through the fortress, leaving their hosts alone with Etienne and Onfroy.
IUZgSWo.png

Alain, heir of Tiberias

The Duke's heir was about the same age as Hugues and, fortunately, seemed much less talkative than his father. He did not speak to him until they reached their chambers.

"It is... it is an honour to receive Your Majesty in Tiberias. I look forward to following Your August Father across the seas to fight the heretics. His Highness, Your Brother, has done me the honour of asking me to accompany him into battle. Prince Etienne is a good man, and in him flows the blood of great kings."

Aye, the blood of kings, thought Hugues, but probably not of an emperor. Athanasia Bryennios, the second wife of Hugues the Glorious, had an affair with Guichard, Duke of Cairo. Guichard was a Montoire Gizeh, and thus a descendant of Prince Henri the Diligent, second son of Henry III. For Hugues, there was no doubt that Etienne and his sisters were bastards and should have followed their mother into her Libyan exile. Instead, Father had granted them titles and even given Beatrice in marriage... to Duke Guichard.
mUaQUQY.png

The scandal and Empress Athanasia escape (1281)

He was careful not to mention this to Alain, however, and merely grunted a thank you and dismissed him.

When he was gone, he could finally growl: "One more word from that cripple about his family and I'd throw him over his impressive, ancient walls."
AVq9uSK.png

Queen Catherine

"He's a Crusader," Catherine replied as if that were enough to excuse the Duke's pride. The term Crusader was reserved for descendants of families who had taken part in the First Crusade.

“A Crusader?" laughed Hugues. “The title has fallen very low if we award it to those who have inherited through women! The Duke was careful not to mention that his great-grandfather inherited from his mother. Two hundred years of wars, revolts and marriages have brought most of these families down. No, apart from the Montoires, no lord can still claim an unbroken male lineage on a title obtained during the Crusade."

"Whatever, he can be proud of his dynasty... unlike his wife. That bitch was really insufferable with her innuendo about my family. A mayor’s widow, who is not even the mother of the Duke's children! And because she is a Faqs, she dares to call you "my cousin". Her family is descended from an unrecognised bastard of Henri I, borned more than a century and a half ago! Your so-called elder sister has more royal blood than her!"

"Woman!" thundered Hugh. Stop talking like that about Agathe." He hated it when Catherine attacked her elder sister. They may have been distant, but they had the same mother and valued each other.

Catherine snorted with disdain as she poured herself another drink: "You can look the other way all you want, I'm sure the blood of the Montoires doesn't run in her veins. Perhaps the same is true of Jean, for that matter. And your father must realise it."

"You are rambling, woman. My father likes my eldest brother, there's a reason why the beggars and fools call him the Heir..." He let out a grunt. "We should be on our way to the East to take advantage of the last gasps of the Turkish kinglets and complete the conquest of Mesopotamia. Instead we're off to the West, probably for Jean’s benefit." Hughes could not help but feel a great deal of frustration.

His wife took another sip and then approached him: "I am drinking but you are the one who is drunk. Can't you see that the emperor favours you? Who has been by his side for years? Not your brother who has not seen him since his wedding thirty years ago. Who has received the crown of Mesopotamia? Not the Heir who has to live off his Greek princess. Whom did the emperor name after his own father, as is the tradition for the heir? Not Jean, who was given his brother's. Don't you see? He sees you as his true heir! In you, he sees him, the Hugues who was not to inherit until the tragic death of Henri the Black Prince. Hugues the Heir, that is your destiny.

Hugues IV, he dreamt. But the Dark quickly regained his senses and frowned even more. "Jean is the eldest and the laws of the realm are formal, he must inherit, and all of Father's possessions as that damn decree states."
qs0BRck.png

In 1284, the Emperor and the High Court of Jerusalem changed the succession law of the Empire

"The law also specifies that the emperor can freely choose his successor."

"You should stop drinking, woman. Your mind is wandering." Nevertheless, he began to daydream. Catherine was not completely wrong. "I'll go and talk to him... to convince him to march East rather than West... As for the rest, we'll see." With that, he left the room, without a glance for his wife.”

As he walked through the fortress, Hugues could not forget Catherine's words. Ever since he was a child, he had suffered from his father's coldness, and had repeatedly convinced himself that he did not regard him as his legitimate son. But his coronation had changed everything. The Glorious had made him a king. So why didn't he support him more? Why didn't they go to the Levant to wage war against the Infidels and liberate the lands that were rightfully his? A dull anger rose in Hugues as he climbed the narrow steps leading to the council chamber.

When the guard let him in, he discovered a large room lit by large openings but protected from the heat by large wooden moucharabieh. The white stone walls were embellished with flowers painted with undeniable refinement. In the centre of the room, Emperor Hugues III was leaning over a large table where a map had been laid out. He was in conversation with Chancellor André Duqm, Duke of Oman.
vIz8eVi.png

Emperor Hugues III the Glorious and Duke André, his chancellor

"Doge Giano has promised us fifty ships."

"I don't like to ask something to the Pisans," replied the emperor. “They already control a fair share of our trade and ports.

"Unfortunately we do not have enough ships, Your Majesty, and your plan requires several hundred galleys."
HbSIpRh.png

Pisa

"What use are ships?" growled Hugh the Dark as he approached the table. “We should lead our troops to the East to deal with what remains of the Mongols before they re-form their Empire!"

The emperor looked up from his map and stared at him for a long moment. "The Mongols have fallen, they will never recover from the death of the Great Kaghan Gulçiçek. You won't need all the power of Jerusalem to subdue a few Turkish emirs. "
IqreMwU.png

The Mongol Empire around 1270 and the Orient in 1297

Hugues could feel anger boiling inside him. "I am the king of Mesopotamia, your greatest vassal, and I demand the lands you promised me!"

A cold silence fell over the room, before the Emperor turned to Duke Andrew and smiled warmly.

"My Good Duke, we will postpone our discussion. I must confer with the King of Mesopotamia." André bowed respectfully to the two men, then quickly left the room. Hugues the Glorious sat down calmly on a small chair and poured himself a glass of wine. When they were alone, his friendly expression disappeared. He took a sip and then, in a harsh tone, questioned his son.

"And who made you King, Hugues? Who exactly do you think you are?"

"I’m Hugues de Montoire," he replied. “A man who bears the name of Hugues the Great, and yours! A man who should be deemed worthy to rule a kingdom..." Or more, he implied.

The Glorious looked at him intensely, as if he was trying to gauge him. And what he saw did not seem to please him.

“Hugues de Montoire...", he murmured. “Hugues. To my ears, he does not evoke the Great, but the Broken. My father was not fit to be king. He was weak and incapable. Half of his lords had nothing but contempt for him, the other half revolted. Why would I give my son such a name? To respect a futile tradition? No. But your mother did not know that." His voice was now sharp as the edge of a sword. "The name you bear was not my choice. She chose it. It wasn't the first time, by the way. A few years before you were born, when I discovered her... affairs with that dog Kyriakos, she had named her little bastard after me. Probably in the hope that I would not put him to death. Your brother”, he insisted on this word, “is now traveling the world. The last I heard from him, he'd left the priesthood and was living somewhere in the Greek Empire, cursing my name.” With a wave of his hand, the Emperor got rid of the memory of the bastard. “I should have disowned that whore that day, but Patriarch Etienne and my own mother convinced me otherwise. You were born some time later and, probably in the hope to be forgiven, your mother gave you that name... She would have done better to end her affair with that son of a dog."

The emperor seemed almost to have forgotten Hugues, lost in his thoughts and old grudges. Nevertheless, he finally looked at him again.

"And now you're bragging about a simple first name? And in it, you see claims that are not yours? Is that why you named your son Hugues? Did you think you were honouring me by naming a cursed toddler after me?"
w0ZFXPB.png

Prince Hugues the White

The son of the Dark had indeed been given his grandfather's name. Hugues the White was only 13 years old, but his hair was snow-white and his skin was deathly pale, which some people interpreted as a curse.

Hugues feeled paralysed. He wondered how the Glorious could be so charming to his lords, and so ruthless to his own blood.

The emperor rose slowly, then approached Hugues the Dark. He was only a few inches from him and almost whispered, "I give you credit, Hugues. You are a man of war. So I hope your sword does not disappoint me, for I shall need it to defeat the Greek Girl." He turned around and walked to a window. Contemplating the view, he continued in a louder voice: "For even you can guess. I will overthrow this family of sinners. And their crown will not be for you..."

He turned, setting his eyes on Hugues, "...but for my child."

With a gesture, he dismissed the Dark who left the room, completely stunned. The Glorious was right, he was now like his grandfather, Broken.​

Last edited:
  • 3Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
This is marvelous, riveting stuff. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is marvelous, riveting stuff. :)

Thank you so much!

I'm gonna post the next chapter.

I'm sorry for the Constantinople map I will use in chapter 3. Google can find plenty of good maps of 1200's Constantinople in French, but it is really difficult to find one in English. I had to take a photo of the map in Jonathan Harris book, Constantinople. A a result, the image quality is bad, but the map is way better than anything I can find on the internet.

Constan.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter III. Jean the Heir
MlmB9Ll.png

The Ta Konsta was a magnificent palace on the Mese, the main avenue of Constantinople. Ideally situated halfway between the Capitol and Constantine's forum, it probably dated back to the early emperors, but had been renovated many times by the great aristocratic families who lived in it. After the coup d'Etat of Eustathios, Princess Dorothea Komnenos left the Palace of Blachernae and moved to the Ta Konsta. She quickly undertook embellishment and enlargement work to make it one of the most beautiful residences in the capital. The most impressive room was without doubt the great hall, which opened onto a terrace and was decorated with magnificent frescoes.

It was there, on a large cypress wood table, that Prince Jean de Montoire lunched in silence, disturbed only by the coming and going of the slaves bringing the dishes.

The prince was about to tackle the sponghata, the spiced omelet that the Greeks loved, when he was interrupted by the arrival of his wife Dorothea Komnenos: "So this is where you've been hiding," said the princess, who, pregnant, had to be helped across the room by two servants. "I have sent for you several times, without success." She sat down with difficulty at the other end of the large table. "Where have you been this time?"​

mISANsx.png

Princess Dorothea Komnenos

"I went to the harbour of Theodosius to get news from Jerusalem. But the Latin merchants and captains knew nothing."

"If you had come to see me in my chambers you would not smell like fish and would know more about the Holy Land. I have some information that should interest you."

She, in turn, was interrupted by their eldest son, also called Jean, entering the room. The young boy quickly greeted his father, then moved towards Dorothea, in front of whom he bowed much more respectfully.​

JJW53UF.png

Jean de Montoire

"Mother. You wanted to see me?" he asked in perfect Greek.

"Yes, Iohannes. I wanted to make sure that your new tutor had given you the works of Nikephoros of Thessalonica to read."

"Yes, Mother. Master George made me read it and we studied the reigns of the Doukai and the revolt of my ancestor Manuel Komnenos."

"Good, Iohannes."

Jean, corrected Jean the Heir inwardly. His son's education was far too Greek for his taste. He did not open his mouth, however, and merely brooded inwardly.

“I hope he is not neglecting your religious education," continued Dorothea.

"No, Mother. We read the Life of Simeon the Stylite by Theodoret of Cyrus and I learned the Creed."

"Recite it."

The boy hesitated for a moment, then complied. Jean the Heir felt increasingly uneasy. His son probably did not know the Latin Creed.

"We believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver-of-Life, who proceed from the Father, who with the…"

"Who proceed from the Father and the Son," Jean corrected, making a point of using Outremer French. “Filioque in latin.

"I'm... I'm... I'm sorry, Father," stammered young Jean in a broken French.

"Don't apologise," said Dorothea. “This is the Latin Creed.

"And my son is a Latin! He will become Emperor of Jerusalem, protector of the Tomb of Christ and Shield of Our Holy Church."

"He will be Basileus Autocrator," Dorothea replied coldly in Greek. “And he will not kneel before the Patriarch of Rome." The tension in the room was at its height. Young Jean seemed petrified, looking alternately at his two parents.

"Iohannes," Dorothea said in a soft voice. “Go back to your chamber. I must speak with your father." The boy did not hesitate. He greeted them before disappearing in an instant.

Dorothea took a bite of salad: "Hippolytos Taronites has just returned. He's probably in front of the Usurper right now." The princess never called Helena II by her name. "He will soon inform her of the insult he has suffered from your father, and of the rumours of war that agitate Jerusalem."

Jean was blown away by this news. "Why on earth did the Logothete of the Drome send his son in Jerusalem as an ambassador?" The Logothete of the Drome was the person in charge of relations with foreign courts. This important role had been given to Timotheos Taronites, despot of Armenia. "I would have not even sent him as an emissary to a Norman baron."

"It was I who suggested it to Timotheos.."

"And he agreed? I thought he was a man of experience and reason. He also seemed to be aware of the... shortcomings of his heir."

Dorothea smiled enigmatically: "Despot Timothéos is indeed a man of reason. He knows that the Palemonaitis do not deserve to sit on the throne. Remember that my late mother was a Taronites and that we are related by blood"

Jean suddenly understood what game his wife was playing: "So the Logothete of the Drome secretly supports your claims... I know now where you get your information from. But what interest do you have in pushing my father into war by sending him a fool?"

"For years the Glorious has refused to intervene against the Usurper and help me reclaim what is mine," Dorothea replied reproachfully. “I force him to move.

"You are playing a dangerous game, Dorothea," warned Jean. Who says the emperor will hand over the crown once he has it?

"Your father is ambitious, but not stupid. He himself has no claim on the Roman Empire. And he cannot afford to keep such a vast territory under his control, let alone make Constantinople a mere province of his Empire. He will have to find a legitimate candidate to lead the Romans."

"Even if he succeeded in overthrowing Helena II, the Palemonaitis were descended from Maria the Elder, a Porphyrogenitus, the eldest daughter of the emperor Andronikos. They have no shortage of arguments, nor claimants. "

Dorothea gave a little sniff of disdain. "What claimants? That disfigured alcoholic Eustathios had to abdicate, he is now in exile in the East, fornicating with Mohammedan women. His son Helias, the Usurper's father, has also renounced the crown and retired to Mount Athos where he has become a monk under the name of Leo. The others are negligible and, like the Usurper, are not porphyrogenitus. As for their claims, they may adorn themselves with the name of Komnenos, but they will always be Palemonaitis, descendants of a provincial who were lucky enough to marry my aunt. And you forget that a sister cannot prevail over a brother. The lineage of my father, the Basileus Pantaleon, takes precedence over all others.

"Perhaps, but you seem to pay little attention to your niece Helena Komnenos. She is the daughter of your late brother, and a former basilissa."

"And when I am on the throne, she will be honoured as such. My niece had her chance. She was weak and unpopular, and could not prevent the usurpers from taking power."

"Yet she tries to get back what she thinks is hers."

"She can still try. The Romans no longer have faith in her. Neither the great oikoi, nor the army, nor the people or the senate of Constantinople will accept her. When all this is over, she will have the opportunity to dedicate her life and her children to the service of God." The princess pushed her dish away, and sighed, "No, decidedly your father will have to choose me. I am his daughter-in-law, I have given birth to his grandsons and heirs. He will help me become basilissa autocrator and even have the joy of seeing his son become consort."

Or he will prefer you as a consort. The blood of so many unions between Montoires and Komnenos runs through my veins! Am I not a grandson of Andronikos myself? Perhaps it is time for the branch of Mary the Younger to take things in hand. But Jean kept this thought to himself. Some things should not be said out loud.​

977h2pl.png

Oversimplified family tree of the Komnenos-Palemonaitis

“Anyway, the die is cast," continued Dorothea.“ A merchant who is in my clientele has informed me that Pisan sails are heading for Tripoli. War is about to break out."

"Shouldn't we retire to your land in Philippopolis? At least until the storm passes."

"To end up like my niece Helena, who has been sulking in Thrace for fifteen years? No. We are not in your Frankish Empire, where knights and great lords live among their peasants. If some great families are settling more and more in the provinces, the most important ones are still in the City. The Polis is the center of our World my dear husband. I must be in Constantinople when your father overthrows the Usurper."​

H4xGzVS.png

Princess Helena Komnenos and her lands in Thrace

"Let's at least keep the children safe..."

Dorothea nodded, "Yes, I will send them to Philippopolis. They can..."

"Your Highness," interrupted Meletios, the protostrator of the palace. “I am sorry for disturbing you, but the Domestic of the Schools, Dorotheos Ouranos, despot of Anatolia, wishes to enter. He is accompanied by several soldiers."

Dorothea and Jean nearly choked. They got up and came to stand in the centre of the room, before ordering the protostrator to let "their guest" in.​

pBjxhv3.png

Dorotheos Ouranos, despot of Anatolia an Domestic of the Schools

The despot Dorotheos Ouranos, in charge of the imperial army, soon appeared, accompanied by some men in arms. He himself wore a large sword on his belt, but had not put on chain mail. Even dressed in silk, the Domestic of the Schools was impressive with his imposing build. He bowed to Dorothea: "Your Highness." His voice was powerful and deep, as one would expect from a man of war.

"What is the meaning of this Ouranos? How dare you enter the palace of a Komnenos with weapons?"

Dorotheos seemed genuinely embarrassed. If the Ouranos were relatives of the Palemonaitis, they had supported the Komnenos and had been among the last to abandon empress Helena I. The Palemonaitis had managed to win Dorotheos over to their cause by showering him with honours and rogai. He was no less embarrassed to disturb a princess in this way.

"I beg your pardon, Your Highness. But Her Imperial Majesty has sent for Prince Jean and his eldest son."

"My cousin is overstepping her rights!"

"What Basilissa asks, Basilissa gets", said Dorotheos.

The princess frowned, but finally gave in: "Well, I have little choice. I will prepare myself."

"No," replied Ouranos. “She sent for the two Jean. Not you."

Dorothea wanted to protest, but the Domestic of the Schools did not give her the opportunity: "These are my orders."

"I will go to His Majesty," intervened Jean. Don't worry my dear, Dorotheos Ouranos will not harm me, I am sure. His own brother is married to my sister Marthe." He turned to the despot. "I presume you will... escort us."

"These are my orders too," Dorotheos replied, placing his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"So be it. Meletios, send for my son." When the young man was ready, Jean greeted his wife and then followed the Domestic of the Schools.

The two Jean climbed into the carriage that had been prepared in the palace courtyard. Dorotheos and his men took their horses and placed themselves around the carriage, which moved off.

"Are we going to the Blachernae?" asked Jean through the small opening in the car.

"No," replied Dorotheos. ”To the Great Palace."

This information surprised Jean and left him wondering. Since its construction by Isaac Komnenos 250 years ago, the Palace of the Blachernae had become the palace of the Basileis. Located in the northwest of the city, in a less densely populated area and close to forests where the emperors could go hunting, the Palace of Blachernae also had the advantage of being much less expensive to maintain than the huge imperial palace. The Great Palace was only used for important official ceremonies. So the Basilissa wants to put on a show, worried Jean.​

c3iQ5oX.jpg

Constantinople, c.1300

The Great Palace was not far. They just had to go down the Mesè, the large thoroughfare that formed the backbone of the city. Jean glanced at the large buildings that flanked the main street. Crowds of onlookers, soldiers, servants and slaves were going about their business, sometimes stopping under one of the countless arcades where merchants were selling the oriental products that the great families of Constantinople loved.

The capital of the Greek Empire was full of energy, but it was not as populated as it had been in its heyday. Jerusalem and Constantinople now had more or less the same number of inhabitants. Nevertheless, if the Holy City could be compared to a child who had grown so fast that it was squeezed into its clothes, the Great City resembled one of those monks who had fasted too long and found his tunic too big for him. The Walls of Theodosius had been built for a much larger population, and it was not uncommon, further west, to see ruins, large aristocratic villas with huge gardens, and even fields.

Even here, in the heart of the city, one could see, between a large public building or a church, an abandoned palace. Of course, some of the great families had simply moved to the more pleasant quarter of Blachernae, which had become the real centre of power. But since Vanand's disaster against the Mongols and the beginning of the Anarchy, many of the aristocrats spent more and more time in the provinces. Even Jean, who had only arrived thirty years ago, had seen these changes. Although the great families remained the servants of the emperor and could not be compared to the barons of Jerusalem, they were slowly gaining autonomy. The weak emperors who had succeeded each other over the past few decades had increased the number of concessions. Certain offices became hereditary, and taxes were increasingly diverted and reinvested in the clienteles of the provinces. And the loyalty to the central power of certain distant garrisons was greatly questioned.

He had even once heard an old scholar lament the influence of the "Frankish barbarians" on the Empire and the great families. He was exaggerating, of course. The authority of the central administration was still very strong in Constantinople, and the power of the aristocrats still depended on the goodwill of the emperors. But it was true that the leading figures of the state looked more and more with envy at the rising power of Jerusalem and the freedom enjoyed by its great lords.

“Father," Jean asked in Greek. What does the Basilissa want?

"Outremer, Jean."​

"Nai... Yes, Father," said the young boy, switching to French. “I heard Grandfather's name..." He hesitated for a moment before continuing. "Is he threatening Constantinople? Master Georgios says that a foreign despot cannot bring war against the Basilissa, it would break the taxis... the uh... the order, the hierarchy of rulers intended by God."

"Your grandfather is an emperor," Jean corrected him. The young man was definitely too influenced by his tutors. He should have brought a priest from Jerusalem to teach him about the culture and religion of his ancestors. "The Greeks are under the illusion that they are Roman. His Holiness the Pope alone can claim this heritage. As for our family, it is the protector of the Tomb of Our Lord and the Crown of Jerusalem is the most sacred on this earth. Our empire is like the Kingdom of Heaven, blessed by God who has given us victory over the enemies of the Faith. Our Lord is with us, not with them, he has proven this time and again."

Jean did not know whether he had convinced his son, but the young man remained silent afterwards. The Heir fell back into his dreams. He wondered how to save his head until Father arrived. If he survived, the Glorious would certainly crown him emperor. Jean II Montoire, basileus autocrator, he began to dream.

They soon passed the first arch of Constantine's forum and could admire the great emperor's column and the Senate. Jean was still embarrassed to see the statue of the pagan goddess Athena enthroned there. After the second arch, they soon arrived in front of the Great Palace, dominated on the east by the imposing hippodrome and on the west by the Church of Hagia Sophia. They soon got out of the car and, under guard, made their way to the Palace of the Magnaure, the most impressive of the complex.

The court was located in the largest of the three halls which, unlike most of the buildings in the Great Palace, had been carefully maintained. The room was simply huge, but now only accommodated a few dozen people. Flanked by his son and Dorotheos, Jean walked towards the throne, wondering whether this "small committee" was a good or bad omen.​

SNEsuZP.png

The Domestic of the Schools Dorothéos Ouranos, Logothete of the Genikon Hippolytos Doukas, the Parakoimomenos Pulchérie Doukas and the Logothete of the Drome Timotheos Taronites

The hierarchy, or taxis, was scrupulously respected at court. The more Jean advanced towards the Empress, the more important dignitaries he encountered. Closest to the Basilissa, after the ambassadors of the various tributary or allied countries, Jean discovered the highest dignitaries of the Empire. Timotheos Taronites, Logothete of the Drome, was in charge of the ambassadors. The Doukai, the former rivals of the Komnenos were well represented with Hippolytos Doukas, the Logothete of the Genikon in charge of the fiscal offices, and his distant cousin, the parakoimomenos Pulcheria Doukas. The latter's office had long been the prerogative of eunuchs, but this tradition had gradually died out. She was, however, the first woman to occupy this position, which was at the head of an office in charge of state security.​

9txzDBl.png

Empress Dowager Nikoletta Ouranos, Basilissa Helena II Paramoneitis and Patriarch of Constantinople Germanos II

On either side of the Empress sat the two co-regents appointed by the basileus Helias before he retired to the monastery. The Dowager Empress Nikoletta Ouranos, despot Dorotheos’s sister, was not considered to be very knowledgeable about the affairs of the Empire, so her husband had deemed it preferable to appoint the patriarch of Constantinople, Germanos II, as her co-regent. The previous basileus had probably thought it safer to appoint a man with no claim to the throne, but Germanos was not known for his strength of character either. The Patriarch could easily be manipulated by the great dignitaries who usually had the last word.

Directly below the apse decorated with an impressive Christ Pantocrator, the 13-year-old Basilissa, Helena II, sat on the Throne of Solomon. She was so small that she did not touch the floor and her purple sandals were far too big for her feet.

Jean walked a few feet from the throne to the spot designated by the cubicularius, the eunuch in charge of protocol. Related by blood and marriage to the Basilissa, Jean did not have to prostrate himself and merely bowed respectfully.

"Cousin!" began the Empress without preamble. “My Logothete of the Drome has informed me of the grave insult done to my ambassador by your father the King of Jerusalem." Her childish voice was filled with anger. "My dear Pulcheria even informs me that the troops from Jerusalem would be stationed in Tripoli."

"Your Majesty," intervened the parakoimomenos, "if you allow me. I have also been informed by Venetian merchants that Pisan ships are heading for Lebanon.

"Why would these Italians want to hurt me?" asked the girl, clearly shocked.

“Doge Giano was particularly disappointed by our refusal to grant him a chrysobull”, the Logothete of the Genikon Hippolytus Doukas informed him.” The Pisans were asking for the same exemptions from the kommerkion that we granted to the Venetians. They also wanted the right to settle in Constantinople itself."

The Venetians had supported the Palemonaitis and in exchange obtained the eviction of the Pisan merchants who had to relocate in Pera, the Latin quarter beyond the Golden Horn.

"I want all the Pisans to be expelled from the city as soon as possible!” The tone sounded more like a whim than an order. “As for you," she said, pointing angrily at Jean, "I should have you decapitated!”

Jean was about to panic, when Timotheos Taronites intervened: "Your Majesty. I am the first to be shocked by the actions of the Frankish king. He has insulted my own son and heir!" The despot was a man of many qualities, but above all he was an outstanding orator. "But we are not yet sure of the barbarian's intentions. It would be a mistake to act in haste and put his heir to death. We would be condemning ourselves to a war without mercy. I remind you that Prince Jean is also your relative, and that patricide is no small matter for men, and even less for Our Lord."

"It is this man's father who wishes to spill the blood of my beloved daughter," said the Dowager Empress Nikoletta indignantly.

"Your Majesty," replied Taronites, "there is no reason why he should go to such extremes. And I doubt that Prince Jean has been informed of his father's plans, otherwise he would not be here at this very moment. Moreover, I think he would be much more useful to us alive. He would be a great way to put pressure on the King of Jerusalem."

These words convinced Germanos II: "The despot Taronites has a point, Your Majesty. We should spare the Prince." The Empress Dowager agreed with the patriarch, but Helena II was still angry. Jean was nevertheless relieved, he knew that the Empress could not completely go against the Regents's opinion. The Heir thanked the heavens for the support of the Logothete of the Drome, who had outdone himself. If Timotheos had not been a supporter of his wife, Jean’s head would already adorn the walls of Theodosius. .

"So be it, but I still think we should get rid of the traitors, especially my cousin Helene. I'm sure she's conspiring with the barbarians to get my throne. I should send her to the convent!"

This time it was Dorotheos who intervened with his deep voice: "Your Majesty. Helena Komnenos is of your blood, and a porphyrogenitus who once ruled as a Basilissa. She still has many supporters in the provinces, it would not be wise to divide the Empire at a time when it is threatened." Decidedly, the basilissa's council is infiltrated by all the pretenders of the Empire, Jean mused with amusement.

"My brother," intervened the Dowager Empress. “This woman makes no secret of her desire to usurp your niece's throne, she is dangerous."

"I am well aware of that, sister. But her young children, Princes Valerios and Kyros are at court, she will be unable to try anything against you."

Nikoletta seemed reassured and the patriarch nodded his approval. Helena II had to back down once again: "Fine, but I demand that she mobilise Thrace and reinforce my armies."

"It will be done," replied Dorotheos, bowing respectfully.

Pulcheria approached the young Empress and whispered a few words that seemed to delight her. She smiled mischievously before announcing, "Concerning the Montoires. it would seem appropriate that the daughter of the King of Jerusalem, Princess Marthe, should also come to Constantinople."

Jean immediately understood the subtlety of the stratagem. By bringing Marthe to the palace, she was not only ensuring that she would have leverage against Hugues III, but also against Dorotheos Ouranos, since Marthe was his sister-in-law. The Domestic of the Schools wanted to intervene, but the empress ordered him to remain silent.

"That is my decision!" She then pointed to Jean. "As for you, you will fight your father. Perhaps he will withhold his arm when he sees you on the battlefield? While you lead your wife's troops to prove your loyalty to me, your son and heir will remain at court. If you betray me, Prince, I will have him blinded and castrated."

Jean found it very difficult to swallow.

"And to make sure you will obey, I will let you perform your barbarous custom. Come here, Jean de Montoire! Kneel and swear your fealty to me!"

As Jean, ashamed and humiliated, paid homage to the Basilissa, he made another oath deep within himself.

To make her pay.​

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
And pay she will, I’m sure.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And pay she will, I’m sure.

We will see... but the fate of Helena II is one of the main story of this AAR.

I will post the next chapter. It will be the last of the First Part. After that, I will probably publish on a weekly basis. Enjoy!

Reactions:
Chapter IV. Agathe
g34NVl9.png

Agathe, accompanied only by a maid and a guard, roamed the docks of Tripoli. The presence of the Imperial Army was both a curse and a blessing for the city's inhabitants. Many Tripolitans had to welcome soldiers into their homes, and some complained openly about their behaviour. Merchants and artisans, however, saw it as a boon. Dozens of men-at-arms were paying good money for food or wine. Blacksmiths received orders from the greatest barons and knights of the Empire, and merchants were paid handsomely for the barrels and crates that were loaded onto the Pisan ships.

What a lively city, Agathe thought as she admired the port. Perhaps I should move there when Father leaves? She was tired of looking after her family. She had to find a meaning to her life, she who had no title, no husband and no hope of entering the convent.

"Isn't it beautiful, Your Highness?" She almost jumped. A man in his thirties was standing next to her. He had a neatly trimmed beard and a slight Greek accent.
Pb16DT0.png

Philippos of Pera

“The army or the sea?“ she asked.

“Both," he says with a charming smile.

She couldn't help but laugh, and then asked in Greek: "Who are you?“

“I see that my origins have been discovered," smiled the stranger. “Your Greek is impeccable, I would expect nothing less from the daughter of Princess Maria Komnenos. I am Philippos of Pera, at your service," he said, accompanying his statement with an amused bow.

"And what is a Greek doing here?“

“In the middle of a barbarian army ready to invade his empire? Well, you should know that your father is not the only one who does not appreciate the young Helena II... or respect Our Holy Father Alexander IV." His smile was charming. Agathe had to pull herself together, it was unseemly, this Philippos was only a commoner ten years her junior. "But perhaps you only wanted to know why I am here before you? The emperor asked me to bring you to him.“

“I thought he was with the Council.“

“He is, but he wants to see you. I will escort you. Perhaps you will do me the honour of teaching me more about this beautiful city?"

Agathe followed him, amused by his effrontery. They crossed the quays, trying as best they could to avoid the crowd. When he heard two Italian sailors talking to each other, Philippos could not hold back a laugh: "There are as many Pisans as in Pera!

-This has always been the case," said Agathe. “When my ancestor Hugues the Great was crowned king two hundred years ago, the kingdom was poor and threatened on all sides. We were connected to Christendom only by the modest ports of Jaffa and Acre. That is why one of his first campaigns was against the Nasrids to seize the Lebanese coast. When he took Beirut and Tripoli, the Genoese who had taken the Crusaders across the sea wanted to settle there. But Hugues I wanted to limit their growing influence on the kingdom, so he called on their rivals the Pisans, who opened a trading post there.“
xYO5gWG.png

Hugues I the Great campaign (1099-1104) against the Nasrids to control the flow of pilgrims (blue arrow), contain the Byzantines and isolate the Fatimids (red lines)

“So it was the Great who made it such a prosperous place.“

“No, his son. It was Henri I the Wise who had the port built to accommodate the many pilgrims and knights who flocked to the Holy Land."
xNsYmqX.png

Construction of the port of Tripoli by Henri I the Wise (1120s)

As they walked up the main street towards the castle, Philippos pointed to a monogram engraved on several facades: "And this H I see everywhere. Is it that of Hugues I or Henri I?“

“Neither one nor the other," replied the princess. “It is the monogram of Prince Hugues the Frank, who was Duke of Lebanon for almost 60 years.“

“His name rings a bell.“

“Oh, probably. He was a character. He was the son of Henri II the Coward and the brother of Henri III the Younger. He was an ambitious man, convinced that my grandfather Hugues II the Broken was a bastard. Two rebellions took place in his name. He did not participate in the first War of the Frank, being in deep disagreement with the rebel Marie of Aleppo. It was in Tripoli that the latter suffered its greatest defeat. But he led the second war, crowning himself king as Hugues II the Frank in 1236. It took three years of war and all the energy of my uncle Henri, the Black Prince, to defeat him. At the judgment of Nablus in 1239, he lost Lebanon, which reverted to the Crown.”
hwxCKKr.png

Hugues "II" the Frank

They soon arrived at the fortress. It was modest in size but its thick walls had withstood many a siege.

“I think I know this story," said Philippos. “At least part of it. We're talking about a time when Montoires and Komnenos were allies, and Constantinople was still the great power in the East. Manuel IV Komnenos had only been basileus for a few months when he decided to go on a campaign to save his barbarian ally against an obscure claimants. It was perhaps here, in Tripoli, that he died in 1238. The Empire passed into the hands of his very young brother Nicomedos. A year later, Caesar Andronikos Komnenos, his uncle and regent, blinded him and took power." He smiled at Agathe. "Your maternal grandfather.”
KGFUTCh.png

Basileis succession in the first half of the XIIIth century
Note : the empresses Aude and Constance were Montoires

The princess and Philippos made their way up the stairs to the council chamber. “1239 was definitely a year of upheaval," remarked Agathe. “It was also the year of the Great Plague which took the Black Prince's life. My grandfather Hugues II never recovered from the death of his heir. The Broken retired to his palace by the sea. My father, the now heir of Jerusalem, was still young. He received the duchy of Lebanon and was sent to Tripoli under the care of his aunt Anne the Maid.”
NpFHRdC.png

Death of the Black Prince and Princess Anne the Maid and Prince Hugues, heir of Jerusalem

They arrived at the door of the council, but continued their conversation.

"It must have been a difficult time for your father.“

“Not in the least. He once told me that these were the best years of his life, away from his broken father and his power-hungry mother. He adored his aunt who was like a mother to him. It is said that she was a woman of character. The troubadours like to sing of her forbidden love affair with Guorhoiarn, Count of Gaza." Agathe suddenly became pensive. "But she ended up like me, husbandless and landless, raising other people's children in castles that didn't belong to her."

Agathe was surprised to let herself go like that in front of a stranger and wanted to apologise, but Philippos didn't give her the chance: “You don't know what Fate has in store for you, Your Highness,” he said with a smile.

The princess gave it back to him: "Thank you for the ride, Philippos. I hope to see you again soon.“

“You will see me again, your Highness, have no fear."

Then Agathe entered the council chamber.

The room was not very large and poorly lit. In the middle, a round table had been set up where the members of the Council were sitting. Sitting opposite the door, Emperor Hugues III silently listened to his advisers discuss the future campaign.
w3Cu1dE.png

The Council : Chancellor André, Duke of Oman; Commander Errard, Count of Yamama ; Treasurer Guérech II, Duke of the Delta ; Marshal Hugues II le Sombre, King of Mesopotamia; the Patriarch of Jerusalem Bouchard ; the Grand Chamberlain Mursel, Duke of Bahrein

When they saw Agathe, the great lords fell silent. The princess hesitated for a moment before addressing the Glorious: "Father, I am sorry to interrupt. I was told you wished to see me. I can, of course, return after the Council is finished.“

“No, my daughter." The emperor pointed to the chair on his right. "Sit down."

Agathe was taken completely by surprise. It was not usual for someone who was not part of the Council to attend a meeting, let alone a woman. The councillors also seemed confused and there was an awkward silence as the princess took her seat.
jOKtAWw.png

Emperor Hugues III the Glorious

"Go on," ordered the emperor. “Hugues?"

Hugues the Dark, Agathe's brother, had just been appointed Marshal of the Empire. This was a definite honour and made him the official leader of the armies of Jerusalem. In fact, the troops were commanded by the old Count Errard, who also sat on the council.

"I still think we should conduct a ground offensive. Antioch should easily fall and the passes of the Taurus Mountains are poorly defended. As soon as we have taken them Anatolia will fall in our hands."

Hugues III answered nothing and turned silently to Errard. The emperor's loyal servant spoke up: "The prince underestimates the walls of Antioch.” Like a good soldier, he spoke in short, simple phases that went straight to the point. "It is difficult to lead an army through the passes of the Taurus. We will be harassed and we will have to lay siege to all the places in our path or else we will be caught off guard. We will also have to leave garrisons in each place to ensure their loyalty. The campaign will be long and deadly. By the time we get to Constantinople we will have only a tiny fraction of our troops left.“

“And need I say that I have been secretly negotiating with the Pisans for weeks to obtain ships?" Chancellor Andre, Duke of Oman was a man full of himself but an excellent diplomat.

"And your generosity towards our Italian friends nearly emptied the treasury," said Guérech II of Hainaut, Duke of the Delta. He was one of the oldest members of the Council. He was not the most gifted of the treasurers but he was an influential man in Egypt. Guerech was also the great rival of Duke Guichard of Cairo, whom Father did not like. The Glorious often said that appointments to the Council were more about politics than expertise.

"I also think that we should end this as soon as possible by striking at the heart of the Rums' Empire," said Mursel ibn Sehinsah. The latter was probably the most colourful character on the Council. Since the collapse of the Mongol Empire, Hugues III had been trying to conquer Mesopotamia and the north-eastern Arabian Peninsula. Ten years earlier, he had subdued Mursel, then Emir of Bahrain, and forced him to convert. Baptism had made him a Christian, not a Saint. The Bedouin spent his time getting drunk, seducing women of easy virtue and quarrelling with knights whom he challenged to duels. Hugues III seemed to appreciate his services, however. Mursel was a networked man, always well-informed and never shied away from the most dirty jobs. His appointment had also pleased the converted elites in the East of the Empire. "We must attack the capital. When you want to kill a man, you don't aim at his feet, but at his throat."
k0xSpXa.png

The two invasion plans

Everyone turned to the Emperor, who had not yet said anything. He gave them his best smile: "Dear Councillors, you have convinced me. We are not fighting a vulgar war for lands, but wish to overthrow this schismatic dynasty and bring the True Faith to our misguided brothers." Patriarch Bouchard nodded his approval. "Now, the Empress and the Patriarch, the two heads of the Greek hydra, are in Constantinople. If we take the city, we win the war. I therefore agree with you, dear Councillors."

Agathe was amused to see her father acting. She knew that the emperor had already made his choice, but he was always careful to present it as a decision of the Council.

“Your Majesty," intervened Patriarch Bouchard, "I am convinced that His Holiness Alexander IV will not support our campaign.“

“Why not?" asked Hugh the Dark. “We are going to end the Schism.“

“Perhaps... but the Supreme Pontiff does not wish to weaken our Greek brothers any further, even if they are in error. He thinks he can convince them by preaching.“

“The Pope has been trying to convince them for two centuries," said Guérech. “Why would he succeed now?“

“The real reason, explained Chancellor Andre, is that Pope Alexander fears Jerusalem. He has already brought down the power of the Germanic Emperors who threatened his positions as head of Christendom. And Jerusalem is now a far more formidable rival. The independence of our patriarchate is not to the liking of the curia either.“

“Your Grace!" intervened Bouchard. “I do not like your insinuations. I am a faithful servant of the Holy See, whose primacy I have recognised!" The Patriarch forgot to specify that he was above all the faithful servant of the Emperor. In Jerusalem, the great conflict between temporal and spiritual power had clearly turned in favour of the former.

“Please excuse me if I have gone too far, Your Holiness," replied Duke André. There is, however, a political reason behind Alexander IV reluctance. The Holy Father takes a dim view of our alliance with the Pisans, who threaten him from the north, and if we win, His Majesty would control Byzantine Italy, south of the Papal States.“
PHw5xGu.png

Pope Alexander IV and the political situation of the Italian Peninsula in 1297

“Duke André," intervened Hugues III. “Our campaign has the blessing of our Patriarch. When we control Constantinople, the Pope will understand that this was a wise decision for the good of Christendom and the Church. He will not have to worry about Italy, I do not intend to take an inch of Greek territory.“

“Don’t you want to be proclaimed Emperor of the Romans?" asked Agathe, clearly surprised.

"The Greeks will never accept a foreigner. Even worse, a foreigner who has no claim." replied Mursel. “If His Majesty seizes the Throne of Solomon or turns the Empire of the Rums into a mere province of Jerusalem, I do not give two months before they rebel.“

“We don't have enough men to keep the peace over such a vast territory," Count Errard explained.“

“Nor the money“, added Duke Guérech.

“Not to mention the reactions of foreign courts“, Duke André concluded.

“So are you going to give the crown to Helena I or to my sister-in-law Dorothea?“

“Schismatics!" exclaimed the patriarch.

“The perfect candidate must follow latin rites, related by blood to Your family and be a claimant to the throne of Constantinople”, Duke André said.

Agathe suddenly understood: "Jean! My brother!“

“He is the ideal candidate", admitted reluctantly Hugues the Dark.

"No." All turned to the Emperor. "Jean will inherit Jerusalem, not Constantinople." He turned to Agathe: "My eldest child from my late first wife will be crowned Empress of the Romans."

The sky had simply fallen on Agathe. She almost fainted. The Princess could barely hear the councilors as they all began to speak at the same time.

"Silence!" For once, the Emperor imposed himself by force. "This is my decision. This very evening His Holiness Patriarch Bouchard will crown Agathe Empress of the Romans in the Church of Saint George in Tripoli. This council is over, you may leave."

Agathe was still stunned. She stood petrified on her chair as the councillors left the room. Soon, only her father remained. He stood up and walked towards the door.

"Wait!" she stopped him. “F... Father! How, I... I don't know anything about Constantinople or the Greek Empire.“

“And that is why I have taken Philippos of Pera into my service. He has a thorough knowledge of the court of Constantinople. He will be able to teach you everything he knows about the habits and customs of the Greeks, as well as about the great figures of the Empire.“

“B... But... How can I become Empress? How can I take on such responsibilities?“

“This is exactly the same question I asked your great aunt almost 50 years ago. Do you know what Princess Anne said to me? That I had to find the answer myself.” He smiled and left the room.

A few hours later, Agathe was kneeling before the Patriarch of Jerusalem for a coronation ceremony mixing Greek and Hierosolymitan rituals. Like the Basileis she received the purple Chlamys from Bouchard, but like the Kings of Jerusalem, the Patriarch anointed her.

Agathe stood up and faced her father, her family and the great lords of the Kingdom. A crown was presented to her. Agathe was extremely surprised when she discovered it. It was not, of course, the one worn by the Komnenos Basileis, but that of her ancestor Hugues I the Great. This crown decorated with fleur-de-lis was one of the Montoires' most precious treasures.

Finally, she placed the crown on her head, becoming Agathe I, Empress of the Romans.
ykfGjrh.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
My immideate thought is she is beyond child bearing age, unmarried. Who will be heir? Is this a long winded plan to unite the thrones?

• 2Like
Reactions:
My immideate thought is she is beyond child bearing age, unmarried. Who will be heir? Is this a long winded plan to unite the thrones?

You're thinking right. She is 47 and can not bear child. Her heir would be Jean the Heir.

Hugues III's decision is complex and have multiple reasons :
  • A personal one : As a King and Emperor, the life of Hugues III is, until 1297, a series of successes. As a husband and father, it is a complete failure. His first two wives (Maria Komnenos and Athansia Bryiennos) cheated on him. Agathe is not only his most beloved child who reminds him of his aunt Anne the Maid, he is also persuaded that Agathe and Jean are his only legitimate children, that is why he only called them "Daughter or Son". Why? Hugues and Maria were engaged in 1241 and married in 1249, Agathe and Jean were born in 1250 and 1252 respectively, when the Glorious was still the heir of Jerusalem. At this time, Hugues and Maria were really close. The first scandal happened in when Hugues became king in 1253-1254, and even if Kyriakos was already around before this date, Hugues persuaded himself that the first two children were his. Was he right or wrong? Only what he believes matter. You will learn more about the scandals in the next chapter, it's important to understand the family.
  • A political one : Hugues III's hatred for the Komnenos family date back to the scandal, but he also have political motivations. While Constantinople and Jerusalem were allied for the last two centuries, the Byzantine were always the major partner. Since the disaster of Vanand against the Mongols, the beginning of the Greek Anarchy and the coronation of Hugues as Emperor in the 1270's, Jerusalem is more and more recognised as the main rival of Constantinople, a clash was inevitable. But the Glorious knows that the annexion of the Empire could provoke a disaster. Crowning Agathe is probably a way to slowly integrate the Greeks before an unification. But I will not say more, as Hugues's plan are still mysterious... and plans are one thing, reality is another.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter V. Jean the Heir
xSACxpP.png

Jean the Heir, standing on the chemin de ronde of the Sea Walls, watched the banner of Jerusalem now flying over Pera, the Latin quarter on the north bank of the Golden Horn. The prince was torn between pride in the victory of his people and fear that he would soon have to draw his sword against them.

He was not the only one absorbed by this unreal spectacle. All the bells of the city had rung in unison when the first Latin sails had been seen on the Sea of Marmara. Hundreds of soldiers and inhabitants had rushed to the walls to admire the immense armada. Many Greeks were in shock. For several days, rumours had been circulating about this Frankish ruler who had crowned his daughter Empress and declared war on the Basilissa. However, this was a distant and unreal rumour that few people took seriously. And now a forest of masts had appeared in front of the city, pouring thousands of soldiers onto the northern bank of the Golden Horn.
EzRWTcS.png

The declaration of war and the route of the Pisan ships

“The defenders of Pera did not resist for long," remarked Jean.

“Galata was infested with traitors," Dorotheos Ouranos replied curtly. The Domestic of the Schools spat, as if to express what he thought of the Italians. "We did well to expel all the Pisans from Constantinople so that they could not stab us in the back. And Galata is worthless for our enemy as long as we control the kastellion."
PffsDyW.png

Dorotheos Ouranos, Despot of Anatolia

Ouranos was referring to the mighty tower built on the north bank. The Greeks still held it, despite an attempt by Jerusalem's troops to seize it. The importance of this defensive building lay less in its walls than in the chain that hung from it. This chain blocked the access of the Golden Horn to the Pisan ships.

"The kastellion will soon fall," said Jean. “Without the chain, the Pisan ships will enter the Golden Horn and the Hierosolymitans will be free to launch an assault on the walls."

The Domestic of the Schools grunted: "Even if the chain were to be broken, the Franks would have to get through our walls. No one has ever succeeded by force. Just ask the Arabs, their futile attempt in 6806 turned into a fiasco thanks to the might of our walls and the bravery of Constantine V."

Jean was amused by the deference shown to the iconoclastic emperor. Despite his victory in 717, Greek chroniclers called him Copronymus, literally 'the dung-named', or Caballinos, 'the Filth'. But thirty years in Constantinople had taught Jean that the Greeks did not hesitate to re-evaluate or belittle the figure of their former emperors depending on the situation.

The Domestic of the Schools seemed to have seen enough, so he turned on his heels and headed for the nearest tower, closely followed by Jean. They went down the stairs and soon found themselves in the Venetian quarter.

"Are you not afraid of the subjects of the Serenissima?" asked John as he climbed onto his mount.

“The Venetians hate the Pisans more than anything, they will not help your sister."

The mention of Agathe was intended as a dig at Jean. When the news of his sister's coronation had reached Constantinople, Dorothea had slapped him, as if he had been responsible for this "betrayal". Yet it was he who had the most reason to feel betrayed. Agathe was his elder, but she was a woman!

They soon left the Venetian quarter and headed west. Jean did not know where they were going, but he was aware that the Domestic of the Schools had not summoned him to admire the capture of Pera.

“Can the City withstand a prolonged siege?" he asked.

“We have enough food for a few months and we still control the Theodosian Walls. We are not cut off from the Empire.”

“From the Western part of the Empire," Jean corrected.

“The Pisans are too busy here to control all the coasts and we still have a hold on the Dardanelles Straits. This is where Taronites plans to return once he has gathered the armies of the East. He must first repel a Turkish incursion into Armenia. Infidels are like vultures, they take advantage of the weakness of their prey to pounce on it."

As they walked through the city, Jean noticed an unusual hostility towards him. Several passers-by looked at him with suspicion, even hatred. Near Constantine's mausoleum and the Church of the Holy Apostles, he heard a holy man preaching against the heretics. An angry mob was pouring out its hatred against the Latins and the Holy Father. Throughout the years, he had sometimes felt incomprehension or condescension from the Greeks, but never such hatred. He thought it prudent to keep a low profile.

"Let's hope Taronites comes back with enough men," Jean finally said. The Hierosolymitan army is impressive. I counted nearly 30,000 men.”

“Yes, I did not expect so many enemies..." Dorotheos became almost pensive. "The tagmatas are not what they used to be..."

This admission of weakness almost surprised Jean, who was used to Greek arrogance. It had to be said that the Empire's military situation was particularly worrying.

Before the Vanand disaster, Constantinople would not have trembled. The imperial army could then rely on the tagmatas, the regiments of professional soldiers that had gradually replaced the mass armies of the thematas over the centuries.

The rout against the Mongols had discredited the tagmatas. The basileus Pantaleon Komnenos had launched a series of reforms which, as is often the case with the Greeks, were presented more as a return to the idealized army of Heraclius than as an innovation. In fact, the professional regiments had been greatly reduced in favour of provincial levies.

This reform had played a role in the Greek Anarchy, as Eustathios took advantage of the discontent of the tagmatas to overthrow Helena I and take power. But the new basileus, aware of the political danger of the professional regiments, was quick to accelerate the reform.

The borders of the ancient themes had been redrawn and the office of Strategos, weakened under the Komnenos, resurrected. The Dukes or Catepans, in charge of several themes, saw their fiscal and military powers strengthened, while they were no longer recruited from the administration but from the great families who gradually became owners of the title. The great innovation was nevertheless the creation of large military and fiscal regions, the Despotates. The title of Despot, previously devoid of any power, was reserved for great aristocrats who were now in charge of the levies. While the Emperor was always free to choose whomever he wished, it was increasingly customary to choose the heir of the previous title holder.
9VNxvac.png

The weakening of imperial autorithy and the organization of the Empire at the end of the XIIIth century

All these reforms had removed the risk of a coup d'état and satisfied the great families. On the other hand, they had greatly weakened the imperial authority and the army, which was now made up of inexperienced levies. Worse, in this war the Greeks could no longer rely on the mercenary companies that were often recruited in Jerusalem. These men were essential as they provided the cavalry that the Empire was sorely lacking.
FFFYvC7.png

The Greek army

The two men eventually passed the ruins of Constantine's Wall and came upon fields and magnificent villas. "Aren't we going to the Palace of Blachernae?”

“No," replied the Despot. “We are going to the gate of Andrinople. From there I will leave the city and go west to gather the troops.”

“Already?” John was surprised. “But the siege…”

“As you said yourself, Constantinople cannot hold out indefinitely. I must organize the army for a counterattack. And I don't know how much longer we can hold on to the land beyond Theodosian Walls. We must go now.”

“We?”

“I have been ordered to take you with me." Dorotheos turned and smiled at him, "The Empress is not only suspicious of the Pisans, Prince Jean."

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter VI. Agathe
WXEpigd.png

Twenty years earlier, the Pisans had obtained the right to erect a large tower in Pera. On the top floor of this building, known as the Galata Tower, a large round table was set up to accommodate the members of the council. The circular room was pierced by several large openings that offered a breathtaking view of the Bosphorus Strait and Constantinople. Unfortunately, they also let in icy gusts of wind and Agathe shivered with cold despite her furs.
zEhahCh.png

The council. Clockwise : Emperor Hugues III the Glorious of Jerusalem ; King Hugues II the Dark of Mesopotamia ; Duke Mursel of Bahrein, Chamberlain ; Vicar Gilbert du Puy du Fou ; Agathe, Empress of the Romans ; Duke André of Oman, Chancellor ; Duke Guérech II of the Delta, Treasurer ; Count Errard of Haditha

She did not seem to be the only one suffering from the temperatures, the treasurer Guérech, Duke of the Delta, was shaking like a leaf as he reported: "The winter looks particularly harsh. This worries me. Our provisions are running out and our soldiers have already dug up a good part of the hinterland.”

“Perhaps we could buy some wheat from the Great Sea?" asked Chancellor André.

“And with what money?" replied Duke Guérech curtly. “Our coffers are emptying just as quickly as our barrels. At this rate, in less than seven months we won't have a single denier left.”

“Winter does not stop at the walls," Duke Mursel remarked. “Since Prince Etienne is positioned in the west, Constantinople has not received a bushel of wheat. According to my informants, the Greeks will soon have to eat their horses. Let's hope they don't confuse them with their women." The Bedouin was obviously very proud of his joke and burst out laughing.

It took a lot more to cheer up Count Errard. The soldier waited for the emperor's permission before intervening: "Prince Etienne can only attack supply convoys. If the Greeks decide to make a sortie, he will be swept away."

"We must end this siege!" cried Hugues the Dark, pounding his fist on the table. "We must launch a new assault before reinforcements arrive!"

"Don't worry, Your Majesty," Mursel intervened with a grin. "The Anatolian army is still held back in Armenia to fight the Turkish incursions. So believe an Arab when he tells you that a Turk cannot be trusted except on the battlefield. Timotheos Taronites will be held back in the East for several more months.”

“And we know how our last attempt to take the walls by force ended," added Duke Andre of Oman. “With a failure and many deaths.”

“That won't be the case this time," Hugues replied curtly. He pointed to various points on the map that lay before him. "We have spotted several weak points on the Sea Walls and the Pisans have just installed ladders on the masts of their ships in preparation for an assault.”

“I thought that the Pisans did not wish to participate directly in the capture of Constantinople," Guerech intervened.

“Indeed," said Vicar Gilbert of Puy du Fou. It was the first time since the beginning of the council that the cleric had looked up from his parchments. He was a well-built young man with attractive features who spent his time taking notes on the course of the conflict. He was the representative of Patriarch Bouchard who had remained in Jerusalem. "The Pisans do not want to further aggravate their relations with the Holy Father, who still disapproves of our war against the Schismatics."
0XqSPyV.png

Vicar Gilbert du Puy du Fou

“I know that for a fact," growled Hugues, who did not hide his animosity towards Puy du Fou. Agathe's brother had nothing against the young cleric himself, but it was no secret that he hated Bouchard. "The ships of Pisa will be manoeuvred by the Pisans of Pera. The latter have clearly sided with us. I maintain that we are ready."

The various councillors fell silent and turned to Emperor Hugues III. He smiled at Count Errard, who was quick to give his opinion.

"I think King Hugues is right. We should attack," he said tersely. "In a few days, probably before Saint Sylvester's Day."

The Glorious thanked the Count before turning to Agatha: "I think the final decision lies with my daughter, the legitimate mistress of Constantinople."

Agathe began to panic. The responsibility of sending so many noble and proud fighters to their deaths turned her stomach. But she tried to pull herself together, it was her duty to make a decision for the good of her subjects. She had to be strong and not let her doubts and hesitations show.

"I cannot ignore the wise counsel of my brother and Sieur Errard. The suffering of my people has gone on far too long, it is time to end it and free them from the schismatic tyranny of the Usurper."

Agathe almost blushed when she saw the look of pride in her father's eyes. The councillors submitted to his decision. Her brother Hugues seemed to be impatient: "I will prepare the men. The preparations should not take more than a few days, a week at the most."

No sooner had the council been declared closed than he stood up and left the room. He was soon followed by most of the councillors and by the emperor himself.

The empress was about to do the same when the vicar Gilbert of Puy du Fou humbly bowed to her: "Your Majesty. The humble servant that I am, would like to show you the fruits of his labour. Would you do me the honour of following me to my cabinet?"

Agatha still found it difficult to adjust to the deference shown to her. She wanted to return to her palace as soon as possible, but the cleric had aroused her curiosity. "Certainly, Father," she said, calling out to her guards.

She followed the vicar to his cabinet on the lower floor. It was a small, well-lit room where several writing desks had been set up. On one of them was a large manuscript which Gilbert du Puy du Fou pointed to proudly.
2nifvRW.png

Vicar Gilbert du Puy du Fou and Empress Agathe

"Your Majesty, you are not unaware that I have been commissioned by your August Father to write a chronicle of the members of your illustrious family."

Agathe came closer to admire the book. It was illuminated with beautiful miniatures of her ancestor Henry I the Wise.

"I was not informed," she replied to Gilbert's dismay. "I thought my father did not appreciate these books.”

“You are surely referring to this Glorious History that was circulating in Alexandria!" replied the vicar, clearly shocked. “This Raoul of Nablus, whoever he may be, was probably inspired by the Evil One, and your Father was quite right to make all copies disappear. Of course, I refused to lay eyes on these infamies. In writing this chronicle, I was inspired by the great Suetonius. I am of course only a dwarf on the shoulders of the Roman giant, but I humbly hope that this work and the example of the noble and high deeds of your ancestors that it reports, will enlighten the souls of future generations."

Agathe was inwardly amused by the false modesty displayed by the young man. She wondered, however, what the cleric might want. "How can I be of service to you, Father?”

“Telling the exploits of your distant ancestors is easy, Your Majesty. I need only read the works of my predecessors. But the reign of our glorious emperor has not yet been chronicled. What a responsibility! How can we do justice to the resurrected Augustus? To this new Charles the Great?”

“Didn't Patriarch Bouchard write about my father's reign?”

“His Holiness has written a Life of St. Etienne, and if it corresponds with the beginning of the reign of the Emperor Hugues, it ... leaves out certain events which do not concern the holy man." The vicar looked embarrassed. "It thus omits to speak of Queen Maria... In the light of recent events, the latter is of particular importance in the account I am about to write…”

“It is indeed from her that I get my claims. So it's hard to ignore her," she said a little too curtly. She collected herself and then walked over to the small window to admire the view of the city. "What do you wish to know?"

The vicar took a sheet of parchment and a quill. "Some things remain unclear. The Greeks seem to make a great deal of the birthplace of their princes and princesses. Was Queen Maria born in the porphyra?”

“No. My mother was born in 1230, when her father, Andronikos, was only the second son of Emperor Manuel III. So she was not born in the porphyry room of the great palace. She is not a porphyrogenitus.”

“1230..." reflected the vicar. “So it was at the age of 11 that your mother was betrothed to our most holy emperor?"

"Indeed, in 1241."

The vicar hastened to note this information. "Two years after the death of the Black Prince and the decision of King Hugues II to withdraw. So it was an initiative of Queen Rusudan.”

“My grandmother liked to present herself as the ruler of the kingdom, but the reality of power was in the hands of her brother-in-law, Prince Henri the Diligent. My great-uncle was not a holy man..." It is perhaps not appropriate to mention the rumours about the assassination of his wife... a Komnenos princess. Even his grandson Guichard, my dear and loving cousin and brother-in-law, seems to be unaware of this. "But Prince Henri was a statesman. The Montoires had made multiple alliances with the main branch of the Komnenos, who had just been overthrown by Andronikos. It seemed appropriate to him to get closer to the new basileus by proposing this union. It was this betrothal that led us into the Seljuk war. My great-uncle just didn't foresee the disaster of Tall Mahra.”
sDXUwKG.png

Left : Prince Henri IV the Diligent, duke of Cairo and Queen Rusudan in 1241 ; right : the engagement

Gilbert du Puy du Fou suddenly looked up from his parchment at the mention of the defeat against the Turks: "A moment of great misfortune for the kingdom! The Holy City was threatened by the Infidels! The countryside was in revolt! All seemed lost!"

The vicar signed himself: “But out of the darkness came the Light of God! St. Etienne succeeded in convincing King Hugues II to return to Jerusalem and to dismiss his wife and brother. The patriarch then led the kingdom to victory against the rebels and infidels. And so began the government of God under the leadership of our holy man!”
zKLd4Lf.png

1244 : beginning of the counter-offensive of Duke Guillaume of Medina and Patriarch Etienne against Sultan Bayzar II. Turks are defeated by Andronikos Komnenos' troops at the battle of Sinjar in 1245

The vicar's emotion and fervour deeply touched the empress, who could not help but caress her reliquary.

"Saint Etienne did not question the union between my father and Maria Komnenos. It was even he who celebrated their wedding in 1249.”

“It is said that the princess wept on her wedding day.”
bVhHIWc.png

Prince Hugues and Princess Maria wedding in 1249

“I don't know, Father. I wasn't due to be born until a year later. But I wouldn't be surprised. Many years later, she confided to me that she had suffered from leaving Constantinople. She was a Greek girl, sent to a distant kingdom to marry a young prince she did not know. She rejected her new home, refusing to abjure the patriarch of Constantinople. As queen, she retired to the Palace of the Wise, where she surrounded herself with the Greek courtiers who had accompanied her into exile. It was perhaps this dubious company that led to commit her sins."

Agathe was becoming increasingly uncomfortable, but Gilbert from Puy du Fou wanted to know more. "Do you remember the scandal?”

“The first one? No. I was barely three years old, and my brother Jean two. I only remember my father's anger and the men who came to take us away from our mother to the royal palace…”

“And... Kyriakos?"

Agathe could hardly contain her anger. "I vaguely remember that dog. He was much older than my mother, whom he was her bodyguard. His features were hard, and his soul black. It was much later that I understood that he made my mother pregnant. The queen was weak, she had no control over her instincts, but this man was the devil who had made her break her vows! Ha, how I wish my father had managed to stop him and have him hanged. What misfortunes would have been avoided! But this dog took refuge in the Greek Empire.”
XjU87Ks.png

Birth of Hugues the Bastard, illigitimate son of Queen Maria Komnenos and Kyriakos

“And the basileus Andronikos did not hand him over to your father?”

“No! He even went so far as to appoint him governor of Drama in Macedonia!" This injustice made her angry.

"There was a valid reason for divorce," said Gilbert.

“This is also what my father thought. But Queen Mother Rusudan and Patriarch Etienne did not want to break the alliance with the Greeks. My father was content to send the queen to the palace of the Broken."
ZUFnMk4.png

Up : Drama, in the Theme of Strymon
Down : King Hugues III, Queen Maria Comnène, Queen Mother Rusudan and Patriarch Etienne

The vicar reflected. "Under the care of Missi-Izé, Count of Suryia, is it not?

“Yes, a good man. When St. Etienne let me visit my mother, the Count always treated me with the greatest tenderness." She turned to the window to conceal her sadness. "His death has broken my heart.”

“In 1257?

-Yes, I was only 7 years old and I was present at the Palace of the Broken on that night. I was woken up in the middle of the night and taken to safety. I later learned that the dog Kyriakos had returned to kidnap my mother and her bastard son. As I walked through a corridor..." His voice choked, "I saw the lifeless body of the poor Count. He was lying in a pool of blood.”
fig2x1Z.png

Murder of Count Missi-Izé and abduction of Queen Maria by Kyriakos

“Do you know where Kyriakos took him?

“Yes, she finally admitted it to me years later. She was in Drama." Anger rose to Agathe's face again. "She dared to say it was the best months of her life."

Gilbert looked deeply shocked. "Why did she come back then?”

“The old emperor Andronikos did not want war. He pressured my mother to return to Jerusalem. She abandoned her lover and her bastard and humiliated herself before my father so that he would take her back. St. Etienne again pleaded the queen's case. But the king would not have accepted her if she had not been accompanied by a Greek ambassador. My mother had to make an act of contrition and embrace the Latin rite.” Agathe now felt disgust. "My mother was weak. She trampled on her faith as she had trampled on her marriage."
suItPzZ.png

Return and conversion of Queen Maria

Agathe was as if absorbed in contemplating the roofs of Pera. She continued in a sad voice. "I don't think my father forgave the queen. But as the years went by and the babies were born, he eventually softened. He even accepted the queen's proposal to marry Jean to Princess Dorothea Komnenos and send him to Constantinople. He even went so far as to organise a great tournament in Jerusalem in honour of his wife!... But everything changed again two years later.”

This time she turned to the vicar. "I was fifteen years old then, and I remember that cursed day when my father, returning from the violent Yemeni campaign against the Sanaïds, learned that Kyriakos had been seen in the kingdom and that the queen was pregnant. I will never forget the cold anger that the king felt. I seriously feared for my mother's life... But he was satisfied with a divorce. My grandmother and the Holy Patriarch had long since died and Pope Eugene IV could not refuse such a request. The king then had the queen locked up, not in a dungeon, but in a modest fortress on the banks of the Jordan. There she gave birth to my half-sister Eunike..."
JvFrAr5.png

Queen Maria arrest and the divorce​

There was silence. Agathe did not wish to continue. Gilbert from Le Puy du Fou waited a few moments before asking: "Have you seen him since?”

“No..." She hesitated. "Yes. Once. Fifteen years later." For a brief moment, the memory of that horrible day rose to the surface. "But that's not your concern," she added, turning away from him.

"Of course, Your Majesty. Please forgive my curiosity.... May I ask again what happened to Kyriakos?”

“Him? Although my father remarried, he kept asking for the dog's head. Relations with my maternal uncle, the basileus Pantoleon, had not been good since my mother's arrest. There were even clashes on the border with the troops of Manuel Komnenos, Duke of Antioch and cousin of the emperor. Kyriakos died during the smallpox epidemic that struck Drama in 1271... and some people claim that my father was not unrelated to this event.”

“Nonsense! Only God can spread miasma to punish sinners. A shameless attempt to tarnish the name of our august emperor!"

Perhaps, thought Agathe. But I still remember how happy Father was when he heard about the epidemic in Macedonia... And then that visit to my mother... All in all, I wonder if Gilbert did the right thing in dismissing Raoul of Nablus’ book.
qCLbQvy.png

The death of Kyriakos
Event : bring the corpse to Drama

She walked towards the door. "I hope I have given you enough information about Queen Maria..." She turned one last time and fixed her eyes on the vicar. "But I hope you understand that some information has no place in your great work.”

“Indeed, Your Majesty," replied the vicar, bowing. “There are some points... which probably do not deserve to be included in the deeds of the sovereigns of Jerusalem. I thank you a thousand times over for the honour you have done me."

Agatha greeted the cleric and then took her leave. Accompanied by her guards, she hurried out of the tower and back to Constantine's palace. It was a complex of several buildings as well as two churches, all protected by a wall. It had been built by Constantine XI Doukas shortly before his overthrow by Manuel I Komnenos. A century later, the basileus Manuel III gave it to the Pisans when he granted them the right to govern themselves in Pera. When the troops from Jerusalem captured the city, the Italians made it available to the empress.

A dozen servants and two of her ladies-in-waiting welcomed Agathe to her chamber. They helped her change and served her food. Cheered up, the Roman empress went to the loggia where Philippos of Pera was waiting for her.
1rVOFxx.png

Empress Agathe and Philippos of Pera

Her councillor bowed respectfully and then informed her of the various meetings she would soon be having.

"Few Greeks," says Agathe, grabbing a bunch of grapes.

"Indeed, Your Majesty. The city has been mostly inhabited by Pisans since the chrysobull of Manuel III. The Greeks are few in number in Pera, and those who live there still have doubts. You were not crowned in Constantinople by Patriarch Germanos II... In this regard, what has the council decided?”

“If my brother is to be believed, you can rejoice. We'll soon be at Hagia Sophia. If I let it, he would storm the walls by himself. He will have to wait on the Pisans of Pera, though. If they do not betray us.”

“Impossible, Your Majesty. I was born in Galata, and I know the Pisans well. Many of them were born here, some of them have never even been to Italy. And many of them hate the Palemonaitis. Eustathios relied on the Venetians in his coup, and did not hesitate to send his troops to Galata."

Philippos looked grim.

"You seem troubled, Philippos."

The councilor smiled, "I cannot hide anything from you, Your Majesty. It is indeed difficult for me to speak of this event without reviving the memory of my family's disgrace.”

“Your family?”

“Yes. And it was my fault."

Agathe frowned: "You intrigue me, Philippos.”

“My father was a reputable notary in Pera. He worked with most of the Italian merchants in the city. However, he wanted me to rise in the world by entering the administration. He even hesitated to have me castrated.”

“How terrible!" exclaimed Agathe. “Why is that?”

“An eunuch can expect an important position in the Great Palace, Your Majesty.”

“What a barbaric custom! I would have it banned.”

“It already is, Your Majesty, although this prohibition is not always respected. Perhaps that is why my father gave up. Perhaps he also hoped that I would produce offspring. In that case, he was probably disappointed; I have never been particularly attracted to the things of love."

Agathe had indeed become aware of Philip's prudish and chaste ways. An attitude that she also shared and which, paradoxically, only strengthened her... attachment to her adviser.

"My father often reproached me for my laziness and lack of seriousness. I cannot prove him wrong, but this did not prevent me from entering the Grand Palais at the age of 16. I held several posts under Pantoleon and then under Helena I. My meteoric rise was stopped dead in my tracks by Eustathius who, on taking power, purged part of the administration. I chose exile. The dishonour naturally reflected on my family, which fell victim to the proscriptions. My father died a few months after the sack of Galata. He was in total destitution. At least that is what I was told, I never saw him again..."

Philip looked deeply sad. Agathe could not hold back, she went up to him and took his hand.

"My father had strictly forbidden us to visit our mother. But when I heard that my... half-sister Eunike had died, I couldn't help but secretly go to the prison where she was kept. There she was, prostrate in front of the coffin of that unknown 14 year old. Her once beautiful hair was a mess, her fingernails were long and black and her knees were bruised from prayers. Fifteen years of captivity and the death of her daughter had broken her soul and spirit. She did not recognise me and went so far as to beg her jailer to throw me out... I left her there, wracked with grief. A few months later, she died, alone."
nF5eI4a.png

Maria Komnenos and her deceased daughter Eunike in1280
Description : died under suspicious circumstances

Her voice broke. This confession had surprised her. She had never opened up about this episode to anyone. And now she had lost control and let herself go. She turned away abruptly to hide her embarrassment. She had to hide her budding and unseemly feelings for a man of such low status.

"I promise you that I will make the Palemonaitis pay for what they have done to you," she added before abruptly leaving the room without a glance at Philippos. What would his Father think of such a moment of weakness?​

Last edited:
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter VII. Hugues the Dark
l2KVgB1.png

"Jerusalem!" Hugues shouted while thrusting his shield before him. "Saint Etienne!" With the help of a few men, he tried to keep the Greeks away from the ladders. "Union! Endurance! Vigilance!" With each word of the Montoire motto, the King of Mesopotamia swung his sword while holding his shield up. His helmet blocked his field of view and he was hampered by the narrowness of the parapet, so no blow was struck. But his opponents did not dare to approach, leaving time for more Hierosolymitans to reach him by climbing the ladders placed against the wall or hanging from the masts of the Pisan ships.
ZvZOyYO.png

Coat of Arms and motto of the Montoires

When he considered that enough men had joined him on the wall, Hugues charged. "Montjoie!" he shouted, echoing the battle cry of his Capetian ancestors. The Greeks, obviously overwhelmed, lost their cohesion and sought to flee towards the tower. In the panic, several stumbled and one of the soldiers crashed several feet below. Hugues took the opportunity to plunge his blade into the back of one of the defenders. The sword sank so deep into the flesh that the Dark almost toppled over as he tried to pull it out.

Hugues and his men ran at the defenders, chasing them into the tower, which they quickly overran. They showed no mercy, putting to death those who surrendered.

Emerging onto the street, Hugues ordered some of his men to open the gate while he regrouped the rest to face an unlikely counter-attack. When the doors opened, his vassals entered the city accompanied by several hundred men.

Most of the defenders had already fled, and it took the Hierosolymitans little time to take control of the streets near the gate.

"The day is ours!" cried his brother Henry of Jerusalem, who had been one of the first through the door.
r9NthMM.png

Duke Charles of Basrah and Prince Henri

"God be praised," replied Hugues, crossing himself. "I hope that Count Errard and his troops have managed to seize the Gate of the Drungaries." He asked for his horse. "I leave you the honour of helping them. You may even have the chance to take over the Great Palace. I will go west to help the Egyptians at the Gate of Phanarion.” He turned to his vassal Charles of Basra. "Assemble twoscore knights with their squires, all mounted."

The two brothers embraced before parting. At the head of his column of knights, Hugues quickly made his way up the road that ran alongside the Sea Wall. The streets were deserted, the defenders had decamped and the population was holed up in their homes, probably terrified.

When they arrived at the Gate of Phanarion, they found some desperate Greeks trying to resist the onslaught of the troops from Egypt. Hugues and his men charged the defenders from behind, breaking what little will they had left. Some tried to flee, but the Greeks were slaughtered to the last man.

"A fine charge, cousin!" Duke Guichard II of Cairo of House Montoire had just passed through the gate with the treasurer Guérech of the Delta. "Charles of Al-Said and Onfroy of Al-Wahat had the greatest difficulty in getting through their defences. Without your help we were stucked until Sext." The cutting remark made to the dukes of Upper Egypt did not surprise Hugues. The lords of Lower Egypt felt superior because of the prestige and seniority of their houses and the wealth of their lands. They could also pride themselves on being directly under the Crown of Jerusalem and not of Egypt.
EqrAJvB.png

Top : Duke Guérech II of the Delta and Duke Guichard II of Cairo, lords of Lower Egypt ; Duke Onfroy II of Al Wahat et Charles and Duke Charles of Al-Saïd, lords of Upper Egypt
Down : maps of the duchies of Egypt and the Kingdom of Egypte (note that Lower Egypt belongs to the Crown of Jerusalem)

“My brother Henri and Count Errard are both heading for the forums," announced Hugues. “They will then turn east to take the Great Palace. You will have to go south and take over the Church of the Holy Apostles to cut off any retreat from those who would want to escape.”

“Aren't you coming with us?”

“No, I will continue north. I must rescue the Gates of Kynegos and St. John the Forerunner and ensure the capture of the Palace of Blachernae.”

“Arabs will need your help. Away from their desert, they are worthless."

Lords of Lower and Upper Egypt alike burst out laughing. Few Arabian lords could claim to have been enfeoffed for more than a generation, and laughing at these upstarts was a pleasure shared by all Egyptians, whatever their position on the Nile.
KMj9Jqa.png

Arabia (which is not a Kingdom)

Hugues soon left them to continue west. Guichard had obviously been mistaken. The gates they encountered were either deserted or had fallen to the Latins. The victory was complete, so much so that most of the soldiers from Jerusalem were already engaged in looting. They entered the houses, expelled the men and took away the wealth. As for the women, powerful or simple servants, they were almost all raped. Those who dared to resist were promptly put to the sword.

Hugues had to restrain the instincts of some of his knights to join in the slaughter. They had a mission and should not turn away from it. He also held back the more chivalrous ones who wanted to help the inhabitants. After nine months of a difficult siege, the soldiers needed a reward. The three days of plundering was a tradition that it was dangerous to question.

So they did not stop at the churches from which the golden vessels, icons and relics were being torn, nor at the fire starts, which they simply bypassed.

It took them a good half hour to finally arrive in sight of the Palace of Blachernae. It was an impressive complex, built on a hill whose slopes had been laboriously flattened to create a succession of terraces. On each of them, successive basileis had built a multitude of buildings, each more magnificent than the last.

The complex adjoined the Walls of Blachernae, a defensive structure thicker and with more towers than the Theodosian Walls, which it continued to the Golden Horn. To the south, the palace was cut off from the rest of the city by a much smaller enclosure.

The area around the Blachernae was deserted and strangely quiet. Smoke could be seen rising from the palace complex, however, so Hugues ordered his men to stay on their guard.

This was an unnecessary precaution, because on entering the complex, Hugues discovered Hierosolymitan soldiers. They were posted in front of a large church and did not seem very alert, some having even placed their spears against the wall. A Greek cleric was pleading with them, and his distress amused them.

"What's going on here?" roared Hugues. "Why are you not on guard when the enemy is near?" Facing the King of Mesopotamia, the soldiers hurriedly retrieved their weapons and bowed respectfully.

"Palace is ours, sir. We rest after the battle.”

“Where is my brother Etienne?”

“The prince, sire? In the palace of Manuel, sire. The one that doesn't burn." He pointed to a beautiful palace on one of the upper terraces.

The Greek priest practically threw himself under Hugues’ hooves. He was shouting in his own language, which the Dark had barely mastered. Charles of Basra translated as best he could: "He says that soldiers have looted the church of St. Mary of Blachernae, the holiest shrine in the city."

He pointed to the church building behind him. Through the open doors, Hugues could see a magnificent nave with green jasper columns.

"He adds that the soldiers have now entered the... parecclesion, Aya Soros, and are going after the relics."

The priest was now pointing to a small chapel attached to the main building.

“Take me there," ordered Hugues.

The king dismounted and followed the priest into the chapel. There he found some men-at-arms, their arms laden with icons and relics. He ordered the soldiers to put them down and leave. Then he let the priest check on the treasures. The old man took care of two large pieces of cloth which he handled with extreme delicacy. Charles of Basra continued to translate: "This is the robe of the Virgin and..." The duke crossed himself. "...the Holy Shroud in which our Lord Jesus Christ was wrapped after his death and before his resurrection.”

Hugues approached slowly and fell to his knees before the relics. He prayed to God and thanked Him for the victory against the heretics. After rising, he said: "These relics come from Jerusalem. They belong to the emperor. Gather them and send them to the Holy City.”

He turned and walked out of the chapel, ignoring the priest's protests and curses. Hugues chose some men to accompany him to the Palace of Manuel, leaving Charles of Basra with the bulk of his troops.

The King of Mesopotamia climbed several staircases and crossed terraces laid out as large gardens. He ignored the magnificent palaces, one of the largest of which was going up in smoke. Apart from a few outremer soldiers and a handful of frightened servants, the complex was strangely empty and quiet. He soon came upon an impressive building attached to the outer ramparts. He entered it and discovered magnificent rooms beautifully decorated with frescoes and mosaics. At the heart of the building was an imposing throne room where he met his brother Etienne.
46yVU5N.png

Duke Philippe of Palmyra, Prince Etienne, Duke Onfroy of the Desert, Duke André of Oultrejourdain and Alain of Tiberias

At the prince's side, he recognised several great Syrian lords, such as Duke Philippe of Palmyra of the House of Beaumont. But other lords, close to Etienne, had decided to follow him, such as Alain, the son of the Duke of Tiberias or André, Duke of Oultrejourdain, the arrogant cousin and brother-in-law of Hugues. André was also the brother of Onfroy, Duke of the Desert, Etienne's inseparable companion. Onfroy had preferred to follow the prince rather than fight with the lords of Egypt. And he was now slumped on the imperial throne, a diadem on his forehead and a cup of wine in his hand.

“Cousin!" said Hugues as he strode across the room. “Why not spill the blood of our enemies rather than their wine?" Onfroy sat up abruptly. He was not happy to see the King of Mesopotamia who tore the diadem from his hands. “This is my sister's!”

“There are enough crowns and jewels in this palace to reward the Duke without robbing Agathe," Etienne calmly replied.

“While you get drunk, our people continue to fight.”

“We fought!" André of Oultrejourdain was indignant. “I personally did dukes of Oultrejourdain honour by killing several of our enemies!" He may have been a Montoire, but André liked to associate himself with the legendary House of Juliers. Duke Gerard of Juliers, was one of the heroes of the Crusade and his grandson Gerard I the Younger had received one of the most powerful duchies of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Gerard II and especially Gerard III, the Hero of Mecca, had always been considered the bravest of the outremer lords. But the House Juliers had disappeared with the fall of Robin of Franche-Comté, one of the Three Felons of the First War of the Frank. "We may have been the only ones to fight directly against the Girl's troops!"
EDbEPYH.png

Dukes of Oultrejourdain from the foundation of the Kingdom of Jerusalem (1099) to the fall of Robin of Franche-Comté (1238)

Hugues ignored his cousin and turned to Etienne. "And where is she?"

Her brother was clearly embarrassed. "She ran away at dawn.”

“How is this possible? You had to stop the Greeks from leaving the city.”

“And with what men? Preventing the supply of the city is one thing, covering the entire Theodosian Wall is another. We chose to concentrate the bulk of our forces at the Gate of Blachernae, but the Greeks came out in force from the Gate of Andrinople. My troops there were quickly overwhelmed.”

“Did you manage to take prisoners?”

“No, the palace was empty. The court, the great officials and the entire imperial family... they all disappeared.”

“What about Germanos II?”

“The Greek patriarch is nowhere to be found," answered Etienne, provoking the anger of Hugues, who cursed. "It doesn't matter, we have Constantinople.”

“Without the patriarch, Agathe's coronation will not be recognised by the Schismatics and they will continue to fight for the Girl.”

“Patience, we will win in the end.”

“Patience? Patience?!” Hugues exploded. “You will need it, brother. Thanks to your incompetence, the war has been prolonged by several years!"
ciZIMSH.png

The Fall of Constantinople

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter VIII. Agathe
iHcUWoc.png

Standing in front of the nave, Agathe was overwhelmed by the majesty of Hagia Sophia. The war and looting had not spared the magnificent building, however. The altar had been partially destroyed and the looters had gone so far as to scrape off the gilding. She had been told that soldiers had not hesitated to bring in donkeys to transport the sacred vessel and candelabras.

The building was still magnificent, however, and those present seemed impressed. This was particularly true of Gilbert du Puy du Fou who stood before her with his head down.

“Patriarch Germanos has refused to abandon the Usurper," announced Agathe. “Having persisted in error and heresy, and not recognizing the primacy of Our Holy Father in Rome, he is no longer worthy of his office. We have therefore decided to depose him. According to custom, the metropolitans met and proposed three names.” Instead of the metropolitans, who had almost all fled, Philippos had gathered together a few ambitious Greek clerics who were ready to collaborate, to whom the priests who had accompanied the army had been added. Of the three names proposed, two were fanciful to say the least and served only to legitimise Agathe's choice. "Divine grace, as well as our power derived from it, promote the most pious Gilbert du Puy du Fou as Patriarch of Constantinople."
60O2r4J.png

Empress Agathe and the Latin Patriarch of Constantinople Gilbert du Puy du Fou

After the acclamations, the new Latin Patriarch of Constantinople hastened to renew the coronation of Agathe. The ceremony was quick and less emotional than the one in Tripoli. In fact, the audience consisted mainly of Latin lords, the Greeks having mostly malingered. Few of them recognised Agathe as Empress, even less Gilbert as Patriarch.

When the ceremony was finally over, Agathe hurried back to the Palace of Bucoleon, located south of the Great Palace. Although looted, the building had been relatively unscathed compared to the other imperial residences. It also had the advantage of being modest in size, more in keeping with the empress's small retinue. She particularly appreciated its terraces, which offered a breathtaking view of the Sea of Marmara.

It was on one of them that she welcomed her father, Emperor Hugues III.
mS3KFuj.png

Emperor of Jérusalem Hugues III and Empress of the Romans Agathe

"You are at last Empress of the Romans, my dear daughter.”

“I don't think my new subjects recognise my claims," she said before taking a sip of fresh water.

“Subjects need time to get used to the new head that wears the crown. On my own accession to the throne, I faced opposition. My father's former lords had developed a taste for the weakness of royal authority. Yet I managed to win them over. On the very evening of the High Court meeting where I restored the laws of our ancestor Henri III the Younger, I organised the famous 'coronation banquet' which won me many hearts."

Agathe did not hide her scepticism. "Your lords shared the same culture and religion as you, and you did not owe your crown to a foreign army." She pointed to a thin stream of smoke rising into the sky. "I don't think barrels of wine and roasted pheasants will make them forget three days of intense looting. Much of the city has gone up in smoke! Philippos told me of the horrors committed by our... your men. The Church of the Holy Apostles was badly damaged and the necropolis defiled, and a man-at-arms was even seen carrying off Emperor Justinian's head. Seven Pisans stole the body of St. Simon the Zelot from the church of the Virgin Chalkoprateia. Other commoners seized the arm of St. James the Apostle and St. John the Baptist in the Church of the Pantocrator, and even pieces of the True Cross disappeared. The Pisans took away the bronze Quadriga from the Hippodrome and the other statues in the building began to be dismantled. Oxen were even used to bring down the great statue of the Forum of Constantine.”

“A statue of a pagan goddess,” said Hugues. “And looting is inevitable. Even your ancestor Andronikos didn't hesitate to plunder the city when he took over. This campaign is draining my coffers and the Treasury has been taken by the Girl. Our army must be paid." The Emperor took a few steps onto the terrace. "I don't like Philippos' influence on you. He was supposed to teach you more about your future Empire, not turn you against us. I can see how you look at him. Beware my daughter, I know only too well the charms of the Greeks. They are lecherous and debauched beings who bring only misfortune. Do not make the same mistake as I did, beware of a misalliance. We have some people in mind for you. A foreign ruler or a great Frankish lord who would support you…”

“Enough! I am the Empress of the Romans and I will choose my future husband myself!" She had surprised herself, it was the first time she had raised her voice to her father.

Hugues III was as if frozen. He stared at her in silence for what seemed like hours. “Well, we'll talk about it when I get back," he said simply.

“Get back? Are you not staying in Constantinople?”

“No, your crown will not be secure as long as Helena II is recognised as Empress by some of your subjects.”

“So you go west to confront her.”

“No. The Girl is probably waiting for that. She has a firm grip on the European part of the Empire and wants me to come to Thrace and throw myself into the lion's den. But in doing so, she has cleared out Asia Minor. I will cross the Bosphorus and take over the East. This will also provide supplies for Constantinople.”
NYl7J91.png

The Emperor's plan

“But the City will be exposed!”

“Come on, Daughter," said Hugues III with a smile on his face. “You said it yourself, you are the Empress of the Romans and do not need a foreign army to defend you.” With that, he turned on his heels and disappeared.​

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter IX. Jean the Heir
IqSsxP3.png

The long column of the Eastern army stretched along the Via Egnatia, progressing slowly to the outskirts of Thessalonica. There, the Domestic of the Schools Dorotheos Ouranos and his retinue, including Jean the Heir, were waiting for it. Several horsemen rode at the head of the army, including the Despot of Armenia, Hippolytos Taronites, accompanied by his officers. At their side rode a large, richly decorated chariot.​

7YTDGP3.png

Hippolytos Taronites, Despot of Armenia

"Welcome to Thessalonica, Despot," greeted Ouranos. "Her Majesty is delighted with your arrival.”

“It is an honour to serve her," Taronites replied in a honeyed tone.

“I am sorry for your father," said Jean the Heir.​

1t2j5ZA.png

The war against the Turks and the death of Timotheos Taronites

“Thank you, Prince. He was a brave man, and he fell with dignity to protect the Empire. We have avenged his death by repelling the Turks." At the beginning of the conflict, Timotheos Taronites had been sent to Anatolia to assemble the army of the East, but the Mohammedan raids had kept him in Armenia for some time. Helena II had complained incessantly about Taronites' slowness, and his death, far from changing her mind, had only succeeded in making her even angrier. "The journey was then long and trying. Crossing the Dardanelles took several days. Fortunately, Princess Helene welcomed us at Gallipoli."​

rGsHsqq.png

Princess Helena Komnenos and her domains

He pointed to the cart from which the former empress emerged. Helena Komnenos was not a beauty, her features lacked grace and she was somewhat overweight due to her legendary gluttony. Jean noticed that she was wearing several purple fabrics that left no doubt about her pretensions. Dorotheos Ouranos bowed respectfully to her. A little too respectfully for a princess, Jean thought.

"You see me confused. I had not been told of your arrival.”

“Don't apologise, my good commander." Helena's voice was soft and she seemed unused to speaking in public. This apparent shyness created a certain contrast with her old-fashioned manner and distinguished bearing. "We had not planned to come here. Nevertheless, we thought it best, in these troubled times, to respond favourably to the invitation of our dearest cousin." In fact, the invitation was an order that the princess had been reluctant to obey. It was common knowledge that Helena I did not like the court, and even less so taking orders from one she considered a usurper. "Whatever our grievances, we had to come and comfort our own blood in this difficult time. What a misfortune it is to see our beautiful capital fall to the barbarians and the court meet in this modest provincial town."

Jean turned around, as if to make sure they were admiring the same city. Thessalonica was the second most populous city in the Empire and its population and wealth could rival the Italian cities. But the Greek elite had nothing but disdain for a city of merchants that did not have the same antiquity and aura as Athens or Antioch. The Greeks also had this annoying tendency to compare every city with Constantinople. And an emperor or empress had to control the capital.

"Where is our dear cousin? Is she waiting for us at the palace?"

“No, Helena II prefers to hold court among her troops in the imperial tent," Ouranos replied, pointing to the northern outskirts where the Western army was camped. "I will personally lead you there while my men guide the rest of the troops to their quarters.”

Taronites and Helena I followed the Domestic of the Schools who guided them to the army camp. The princess took the opportunity to approach Jean. She seemed to hesitate for a moment, as if it was costly for her to start a conversation.

"Is it really necessary to camp with your troops when the enemy is on the other side of the Bosphorus?”

“Her Majesty wishes to present herself as a warrior empress", Jean replied with the utmost caution. “This is good for the morale of the troops."

“She is free to present herself as Heraclius or as Basil II. But if I were her, I would be careful not to end up like Michael III, murdered by his favourite Basil." She smiled at Jean. "It is very strange to keep your enemy's own brother with you.”

“I will remain loyal to the Basilissa," protested Jean, who understood the trap Helena was setting for him. “And Marthe, my other sister, is in her service, just as my son is in the service of the Emperor Valerios.”

“Your son is just at the right age to get married," said Helena suddenly. “My husband, Basileus Narses, is looking for a good match for Valerios. Our Valerios, not my cousin's husband. We could also find a good wife for young Jean. We should discuss this after my reunion with my cousin. It is high time we thought about the future." She smiled enigmatically at Jean, then hurried off to join Dorotheos Ouranos.​

RTFRcH1.png

Helena Komnenos family

They soon entered the imperial field tent. It was so large that it could accommodate several members of the court and their servants. At the back, two seats had been set up to accommodate the two rulers.

Helena II was now 16 and had a certain presence in her finely decorated armor. Marthe, as lady-in-waiting, stood behind her.​

Si1XeXo.png

Basilissa Helena II

The meeting between the two Helena was particularly cold. "Cousin", the princess said simply, making a perfunctory curtsy.

"Princess Helena," replied the Empress. "I had hoped to see you earlier, especially at the coronation of the Basileus."

The princess turned to the very young Valerios Monomachos and greeted him. "It is an honour to meet you. Welcome to the Palemonaitis family." The mention of this name, preferred to that of the Komnenos, made the young Helena gnash her teeth. But the Emperor did not understand the jibe and greeted the princess with a big smile.
0eO7nnE.png

Basileus Valeros Monomachos

According to Jean's eldest son, the new basileus was not worth much. The young man was certainly intelligent, but he was lazy and brutal to his servants. Despite his relatively modest origins, he was particularly arrogant. Yet Valerios was the ideal choice for the regents. Among the Greeks, it was indeed customary to make the consort a true Basileus Autocrator, a reigning emperor. This was how the successive spouses of the last Macedonian empresses, Zoe and Theodora, had ruled the Empire centuries before. Valerios Monomachos, because of his inexperience and lack of support from a powerful family, did not threaten their influence on the Empire.​

5kYaM1S.png

The regents : Patriarch Germanos II and Empress Dowager Nikoletta Ouranos

Hippolytos Taronites bowed to the imperial couple, then turned to the regents, Patriarch Germanos II and the Dowager Empress Nikoletta. "I bring very bad news. Duke Diogenes Kaukadenos has sent me a missive. Tarsus has fallen." The news was met with sighs of dismay. "The Opsikion is threatened and Diogenes asks for help, otherwise he will have no choice but to submit to the Franks.”
jzQP9Cw.png

lK8Eck7.png

Up : Fall of Tarse
Down : the Opsikion threatened bu the Franks

“A traitor!" exclaimed the empress.

“Your Majesty," intervened the Patriarch. Kaukadenos only wishes to protect the Empire from devastation. I am sure we can find common ground with our enemies, the peace proposals…”

“Have been rejected!" cut him off.

“Perhaps we can make a few more concessions to convince the Frankish ruler and his daughter to abandon their foolish claims. This will restore peace and put an end to the looting.”

“I know that you are more concerned about the Church's lands in Anatolia than about my crown. You are a coward, it is no longer time to parley but to punish the barbarian with iron!“

“Your Majesty," offended Germanos, "I only want the good of the Empire and to protect you. As regent I..."

“I dismiss you from your position!"

“You can't, you are still under my and your mother's responsibility until you come of age..."

“My daughter," intervened the Dowager Empress, "it was your father who appointed the Patriarch to this office and..."

“Send him in!" ordered the Empress. To everyone's surprise, a man in a monk's habit entered the tent. It took Jean some time to recognise Helias, the former basileus turned monk. Still young, the man who now called himself Leo had lost none of his beauty and charisma.
R7mLHnu.png

Leo, former basileus Helias Palemonaitis

"Mylords. In this time of great peril, my daughter has commissioned me to become her co-regent alongside my ex-wife. I have vowed to serve God and, in defending the Empress's crown, I will protect the Empire from heretics."

The audience was in great excitement. Never had an abdicated emperor returned to claim the regency he had established. Even less so an emperor who had become a monk. The Greeks, who hated novel situations above all else, did not know how to react.

"My husband and emperor..." began Nikoletta timidly, "seems entitled to take back what he has granted. I accept his claim to the regency at my side."

Germanos II seemed completely distraught, but he had little choice. Neither did the great aristocrats, even though many of them disliked Helias, whom they had pushed into abdication. John could not but be impressed by the revenge of the fallen emperor. The latter smiled, then in a loud voice announced: "My daughter is indeed right, there is only one solution to the barbarians. War!"

Princess Helena, who was clearly angry, took advantage of the confusion to get up and head for the exit. As she passed Jean, she whispered: "Come and see me when this comedy is over. We must talk about the future." Then she disappeared, leaving the Heir to witness the triumph of the monk-regent.​

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Just finished the first chapter, and liking what I've read so far. Been a while since I've committed to following a narrative AAR, but I'll definitely be watching this one with interest :)

Thank you so much, it means a lot to me. Hope you will enjoy the next chapters. ;)

this seems very interesting so far, i love it

Thank you and welcome to this AAR!

• 1Like
Reactions: