• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Economic Summary: Permo-Siberia Year 1000
uDmNivR.jpg

Economic Report: Permo-Siberia Year 1000

Realm size: 133
Yearly Income: 4,52
Treasury: 20.214(+1.982 in currently held investors, +6.851 in mercenary band)
Number of Cities in Realm: 2
Number of Cities in Personal Demense: 0
Number of Prosperity Province Modifiers: 7
Number of Holding Slots Generated: 5
Number of Great Works: 2
- Far North Scriptorium in Udmurts (Great Library; Stage 2; Keeper of the Tomes, Scribe Room, Architecture collection)
- Hagia Epimoni in Tynea (Grand Cathedral; Stage 1; -)
Global Construction Speed modifier: 64,6%
Global Construction Cost modifier: 76,5%

5 Highest Income Realms (Yearly Income)
1. Tibet Empire (326.66)
2. Byzantine Empire (282,84)
3. Ghaznavid Shahdom (Shahdom of Sindh)(282,08)
4. Kingdom of Italy (214,29)
5. Lambakanna Kingdom (157,15)

Honorable Mentions: Republic of Amalfi (813,35)(the richest Merchant Republic, under Byzantines), Sultanate of Egypt (150,16), Kingdom of France (133,16), Kingdom of Maharastra (131,63),

5 Wealthiest Counties Worldwide (Province Wealth)
1. Amalfi (304)
2. Baghdad (294,33)
3. Cholamandalam (219,7)
4. Hamadan (209,2)
5. Dunhuang (194,77),
Honorable Mentions: Goa (190,6), al-Iskandriya (185,6),

Additional Comment on worldstate: Black death swepped everything beside India&Poland. It gave rise to huge religious turmoil but will probably help stabilize bigger players and delete many minority cultures. I wonder if it will push AI towards feudalising? Ghaznavids keep expanding but met good resistance in Tibet empire. Western Protectorate fortunes are up and down (currently they subjugated not small Xia kingdom). Abbasids reconstituted themself in Persia after their catastrofic collapse due to decadence rebelion, but Armenians from Caucasus keep pushing them further and further from Anatolia. Even after splitting into 2 kingdoms (Armenia and Hyrcania). Generally Miasphytes are doing great because of all holy sites between them and Abbisynians. Egypt on other hand tackles common problem of many religious and peasant revolts (they also got stuck at 0% against Shia pretender who had 40.000 troops). They either collapse or remain in current limbo of being unable to win/lose wars. Byzantines aren't doing much better in Greece, as they kept losing counties to powerful Tengri Bulgharian Khaganate that just started splitting. On other hand their Merchant Republic took Rome and keeps reconquering Italy. Italy in which we are currently with rest of Catholics, displacing Cathars in Central Italy. Kingdom of Italy might take another kingdom and they already ate Bavaria. Other than that there are catholics in Kingdom of Navarra, that should watch out for Lollardian Leon that consolidated 1/3 of Spain. Waldensian France can't break through towards great power status. England started collapsing. Central europe starts centralising with 2 Germanic kingdoms of Saxony and Pomerania, Orthodox Bohemia,freshly independent Poland and also Polish Galicia-Volhynia. Big Slavic Sweden also disintegrated. Closer to us Suomenusko Finns finally started taking over their lands, Tengri Russian broke away from Khazars as both Khazar and Pecheneg khaganates thanks to us are shadow of their former self.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yearly Income: 4,52

It's fascinating how poor that area of the map is. Sure, it forces players and AI to focus on manpower, Raiding and constant violence instead of building anything up, but having it so a gigantic empire unifying much of the region being poorer than one county minors in England is a little odd.

Reactions:
Thank you for the updates. Amazing amount of detail. I think that my strangest crusader badge was as a Catholic duke/general leading an Orthodox Byzantine army through Egypt (crusade target) en route to rejoining war front in Anatolia. Gotta love AI mapping.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's fascinating how poor that area of the map is. Sure, it forces players and AI to focus on manpower, Raiding and constant violence instead of building anything up, but having it so a gigantic empire unifying much of the region being poorer than one county minors in England is a little odd.
It's a tough call if manpower really works here. We are still eating attrition every time winter turns severe in arctic counties (even with Military Organisation 6-7), which makes siegeing those tribes of originally Suomenusko (Defensive Pagans with +40% Garrison sizes and extra unique structure increasing base archer numbers, which also affects garrison) really tough. I think it was the first time for me that entering steppes actually improved my supply situation x]. On other hand Warrior Lodge really helps, as with Shield of Thundra perk it isn't impossible to have actually better supplies in winter than during summer. Suomenusko unique lodge power is nothing to sneeze at, as you can conjure 1.000 Pikemen strong event army, that is really difficult to beat efficiency wise at those supply numbers.
I think Siberia is the worst economy wise, because those lands have very little holding slots + no technology thanks to many Nomads. Nomads, which also affect your play pattern as not small hurdle to overcome.

Not sure if you know, but this isn't our true economic output. Here you can see why:
l2e7SRg.jpg

So being little over the vassal limit, gives me -100% Vassal taxes (and levies but it matters not, as most of those Allies are called to war anyway, granting 100% of their armies). If you look back to Economic Report from year 900, you will notice that without it we had 27,74 yearly income at realm size 43. So most likely currently there is possibility to have around 40-50 yearly income. There is also very good reason for me utilizing current system. Not only does it increase my culture&religious conversion pace, but it keeps the cost low. Many event decision and intrigue tab decision scale based on yearly income. But Permo-Siberian income mostly comes from other sources (ransoms, raiding, inheriting, banishing, events). So I really saved a ton of gold so far. Here are some examples:
- New province holding slot from prosperity - 250% yearly income,
- Province modifier from prosperity - between 50% and 150% yearly income,
- Invite Noble to Court / Promote Commander - 25% yearly income,
- Present Debutante - 20% yearly income,
- Trade Route from Business scales with yearly income but it does have minimum and maximum values,
- Smith an Artifact is the same - it does have minimal value for Empires,
So now with our crummy income I would pay around 10g for holding slot instead of 100, if I got all the taxes ;)

There is something to be said about tribal economy based on temples, which if started earlier might generate more income throughout the whole playthrough and also help spreading technology (Monastic Schools) while tribal. Especially as member of Monastic societies that at max rank get 50% discount on temple construction. It would help Moral Authority. Later you could just keep breeding extra sons, educate them into stewardship and make them take the vows (which also makes them joint Monastic Order) to become administrators of those holdings. As the time would go, they would improve by acquiring virtues (many of them give extra stewardship) and you could still pass more virtues on them anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Permo-Siberia still has a long way to go before they are considered a truly prosperous realm.

Reactions:
Part XXIX (1001-1008)

78kCkRj.jpg

Part XXIX (1001-1008)

Year 1001
======================

Once more we go back to our post-pandemic Permo-Siberia. Long period of recovery begins. While our ruler is 50 years old, he still might need to do some work before passing throne to his 11 years old son Kezhay.

But first we need to rebuild our court. Investor search is arranged and to my suprise there are still great fortunes out there, which managed to prevail over plague. I do invite them (and their heirs if needed). I also find new Jewish Steward (15 stewardship and ambitious 29 years old so he can generate us additional 500 g!) and fantastic Jewish spymaster (27 intrigue).

o1dWS7u.jpg

Back to business as usual. Luckily our goldmine didn't dried up. Maybe later we will encounter problems, as they are delayed in time?

In March our Marshal fires (you guessed it!) another "massive recruitment drive in Kudymkar". Given, that there is only around half of possible levies it will help. More importantly it gives +6 prosperity points there, which should help getting rid of Minor depopulation. At the same time our sick (Rash+Headache+Fever - I hope it isn't black plague) Spymaster is sent to both Thrake to acquire new technologies as well as is ordered to arrange search for that artifact we heard rumours about. Why him? Because according to wiki (which I studied) he is currently the best candidate for that task. He is Genius, has 18+ attribute related to his council office and most of his other attributes are above 8 as well (beside learning). He is Greedy and Cruel which might help in his kind of search. I can't deduce what kind of artifact we are searching for so it might take between 5 to 10 years. Fingers crossed I guessed. We might live, as we are still on Hunting focus (+1 health), got dog (+1 health), can still train dog while diligent (for extra +1 health) and are eligible for becoming Brawny event (even more - +1 health).

Community of Saint Basil offers us another task - donation. I take it. Even with fantastic devotion gain (+20/month) extra currency might prove useful. For our effort, game rewards us with Charitable trait. And then for succedding in mission, emperor Varaka "the Scholar" becomes humble as well. Here I have to note that I was wrong in avoiding Saintly Bloodlines. Turns out they don't prevent us from being able from picking "Forge Bloodline" ambition. Thus I was worrying over nothing and now I only have to spend that 10.300 prestige in the bank, before current ruler dies.

Our Spymaster informs us about making steady progress in the search at 11th of April. That's fast. Well we should start our work too. We switch our capital from Perm to Kol'va tribe to the north. Why you ask? To forcefully push technology there. Extra level of Improved Keeps (to reach 4th). With that we can start building another Great Work, which is urgent given our plans of feudalising in around 100 years. So we start making Great Walls in Kolva (I like that idea as it is close to northern gap between Ural mountains and Siberian taiga). But that is not all - we also start building Magnificent Gardens in Pilva to the west. You heard me - we start 2 at the same time. And we are still upgrading Grand Cathedral in Tynea :). Plenty of work for architects.

MO863uu.jpg

More wonders of the world in our own lands :). They do start taking considerable funds though.

I was shrewd and thought I could just reverse my capital choice after that. Turns out I was wrong as Perm isn't the capital of de jure Volga-Ural empire. Bolghar county is. Thus I might be stuck with Kol'va for quite some time >.>. Which is not optimal. Still I had to do it. No way around it. I hope that this decision with it's cooldown (600 months = 50 years) is tied to character. So as next ruler we might be able to switch it again.

Our Ruler doesn't get to dwell on it for long, as May greets him with another Bogomilist rebelion. This time in Bolgharia but it is tiny (3.500 troops). Kinda weird after getting those huge rebelions previously. Well it isn't threatening so my retinues will deal with it.

During our retinues long march from Mordva to Bolgharia, another merchant caravan visits us. This time we are presented with not particulary great Greek Spymaster. Still will take him. Our troops of course don't make it in time (even with Organiser commander) and Bilyar tribe gets captured.

Month later our spymaster steals 50 diplomatic tech points. Soon we catch rebels and kill them, thus ending another religious uprising. Our heir turns 12 years old, so after assigning him stewardship education focus we pick this option from our ongoing ambition:

oUPZW5l.jpg

Rarely do I get occasion to use it. It will help offset short reign penalty for Kezhay so it ain't too shabby!

Soon we start his first interactions with Permo-Siberian vassal horde (currently 87). Orthodoxy icon event pops up again (at least I have that impression) and I take +1 Martial to not lose Zealous. Also given more than enough in both Stewardship and Learning it doesn't hurt to have slightly more levies ;).

Some marriages take place, as two oldest daughters come of age. Nulzyava becomes wife of new Romagnan Catholic King Berthold "the Pilgrim". Sanal'la Permyakid is waiting for Prince Folkhard of Bavaria to become an adult (14 at the time). With that all children beside our heir are already matched with really nice dynasties in Europe :). I also did bethrothed our Emperor to young cousin high chief of Ural in bid to take over those counties for ourselves.

We end the year by throwing another feast. It does increase prosperity a little, so why not :) I check up on my spymaster and he is suffering from Great Pox. Well... That's less than ideal. He has only mild case of that sickness (+1 health) and was succesfully treated (+2 health and stats) but he is realistically one bad treatment away from dying and wasting artifact search. Well I'll pray for him :)".

Year 1002
======================

New year coincides with change in china. Previous Finno-Ugric hating Emperor passed away and once again our prospects are looking up.

C4fZ4j4.jpg

While he doesn't like us, he at least doesn't hate us. Meaning we get regular amount of grace from interaction with him.

As I watch our heir (who sadly developed temperate instead of diligent), another uprising occurs. This time previous Suomenusko lands in Nenetsia is the hotspot. Because it was finally converted away from it (meaning whole of Nenetsia is Orthodox). Seems my festivities are once again cut short. That's another small army to deal with - enough for my vassals to manage, after ordering them to. Sadly it does cancel introducing heir to realm decision.

During spring our spymaster steals another 50 military tech points, our vassals try to figure out whole war business on their own, and I start spending some of my prestige. Decision is make to upgrade all weaponsmiths in Perm high chiefdom to at least 3rd level.

08wVKIG.jpg

Four tribes get that upgrade, removing 1200 prestige for us. That's a beginning :) Will also help with replenishment.

By Summer several 1.500+ strong vassal hosts are marching towards rebels. Our Marshal once again rolls critical success in Kudymkar (+6 prosperity) and upon inspecting our retinues are mostly fully replenished. Orthodox Moral Authority started recovering and reached 45%, which once again makes us capable of requesting excommunications. I have already 3 targets, who are actively scheming via focus to get rid of. On top of that, some vassals due to plague craziness acquired more land that I would like them to have. Thus our game begins once again :)

By November our loyal vassal deal with Nenetsian rubble. I also succesfully imprison local ruler from the rebelious county, as he was one of scheming vassals. It goes smoothly and soon I can give it away. But to whom do I give it? During check up on vassals I got some idea.

SOkuYNk.jpg

One of our vassals has nice combinaiton of ambition coupled with his hobby. He really has great chance of fulfilling his objective and thus helping Orthodox Moral Authority.

Given, that we are constantly changing rulers we might grant Zealous Learning educated characters fiefs in order to improve Moral Authority without holy wars. I like this and I'm curious how well will it work. If it does work it might be heck of an option to manage state of religion when playing far from holy sites :). Thus I generate Zealous character by spamming 25 piety decisions. Sadly it is still, a chance and he instantly takes scheming, even though he is content >.>. Maybe it will work better with Ascetics invited from Monastic communities?

Year 1003
======================

Some minor depopulations already vanished in Perm high chiefdom. Udmurts has still minor depopulation and Tynea significant depopulation. But heck, let's help it even more and organise great tribal festival. We haven't had one of those in ages.

XWYGVCr.jpg

It doesn't stop to amaze me hiw many different steps this event chain has. Also it being localised for Christians, which is not common combination.

In February another update from our artifact hunter arrives - he want's diplomats to help him. We are happy to provide him with them, as that -15 general opinion might not matter anymore on this ruler, on top of that event providing 5 years worth of steady progress. The same as our Councillor asking for money. Festival proceeds and we go hunting for some extra health :). As our ruler visit local shops and his eye lands on strenght potion, small nomad band visit eastern reaches of empire.

Soon they are beaten and we can focus on tribal festival once more. Some excommunication flies in the background and there is eating contest! Before it proceeds our ruler has PTSD from memory of Orvietto battle. It is no biggie, as we can just once again pick Celibate trait. We don't win but at least have some fun. Also I'm suprised that this event was also customised for Christian tribals!

In Summer our Ecclesiarch routs out heresy in Udmurts. Then he is sent to Tarbagatai to convert local population, so the county becomes eligible to converting passively. Because Massalianism there has weak MA, we have 10.68% yearly chance of success. Not sonner do I end that sentence and yet another peasant rebelion occurs - this time in Belaya (the only remaining Bolghar county).

CYws1SJ.jpg

We slowly convert steppes to our religion. Which is a prerequisite for culture conversion. Still heresy outbreak slow down that process considerably.

I get rid of another scheming vassal, simultaneously moving infantry retinues from southern Cumania to deal with rebelion. Final intervention for our heir (14 y.o) is presented and I spent a while to decide. We can either make him Diligent (he already is stressed so there is no drawback) or Ambitious. Diligent will gelp with education trait, but he most likely has a really long reign ahead of his and while being genius he might end with level 3 education anyway. So I take a gamble and pick ambitious that is much more tricky to get. With that even before getting education trait he has Genius, Patient, Temperate, Ambitious, Stressed with 2 more child traits giving him 12/14/16/10/16 attributes already (Dip/Mar/Stew/Intri/Lear). Let's hope he doesn't roll absolutely terrible on his education.

xAuK4W5.jpg

Pacifying countryside. Will they ever learn? One would think that after what they just been through, they would behave.

Dealing with rebels goes terribly inefficient, as they make it to melee because of total clusterf*ck of tactics rolled (hit 5.2% chance at Gen. Skirm twice...). Soon our Permo-Siberian Patriarch dies and I invite one of our vassal councillors to replace him. Sudden case of Dysyntery. In the end we win, but boy we definetely did not need to lose over 100 men for such minor battle.

As our Weaponsmith III are finished, we continue upgrading towards next level. Costing us another 1.600 prestige (which leaves us at 7.825). I add Practise Range I in Burtasy (Mordva duchy in the south) and two Training Grounds I in both Irghiz and Tarbagatai. That's another 300 prestige well spent.

With the advent of Winter - we reach second rank within Community of Saint Basil (not that it is particulary great this time, as we already are Celibate but at least can bestow virtues we have on others). Now we are once again mostly barred from advancing sooner by "at least 3 years as previous rank" requirement. At least next level in this Society will give us option of inviting Ascetics for our "Get Holy scheme". We also get rid of that not grateful clergymen we made chief in Nenetsia by feeding him to bears (execution). Bigger (1.000) nomad host arrives in Syrt (Bolgharia duchy). We move our 5.500 light infantry/light cavalry retinue to greet them. And show them exit.

Year 1004
======================

New year starts with another good news from "Artifact search" department of our Komi'mpany. Once again we can give Councillor some leverage, which means additional progress points. It is going really nice as within 3 years we made (IRC) close to 11 years worth of steady progress. It becomes more and more possible that we do end up with that artifact and soon.

UXAbXxf.jpg

Any artifact news that isn't critical failure is good news. Also anything we can do to speed it up is welcomed.

By the end of March we catch those pesky nomads from Syrt. They tried to get clever with us by retreating. So we're waiting to ambush them alongside border and killed over half of them in process. That will make them think twice for at least few years, before passing our border.

After dealing with nomads we can enjoy tranquility. Some excommunication is thrown, one of our vassals Realm Priest converts Zaysan tribe in Eastern Cumania. After Burtasy concludes building Practise Range, we immedietely follow it with further upgrade.

In August our infirm and cancer suffering Italian sponsor dies. He is instantly replaced with one spare courtier I procured earlier. Then finally after much waiting this event fires:

J9Tepco.jpg

The prerequisite for this is to be at peace, so nice that we got it. Let's hope we manage to actually acquire further building discounts :)

Finally that Economic Collection in Far North Scriptorium does, what it was build for. I send our Han courtier as she has slightly higher stats. Let's hope nothing goes awry, because I really need that book to stack cost reduction even more.

By November we keep up with our Excommunication game alongside continued buildup in Irghiz and Tarbagatai trbes. After they finished they previous assigment, we order them to make Training Ground I. That leaves us with 7.262 prestige. Upon inspecting military tab we can observe partial recovery of our armies might - 10.000 out of 14.000 warriors are once again at our personal command.

5kEpx6j.jpg

Small price for how little that book will save us in the future upon Feudalising.

We get an update on that Architecture book. Gladly will pay as by not paying we are making sure to not get that goodie. Sadly before end of year, Bogomilist heresy pops up in Buqtirma tribe within eastern Cumania. So we are still at 5-6 heretic counties throughout empire. It might keep being an issue, as Orthodoxy keeps fluctuating between 40 and 45% moral authority. Before end of year our spymasters returns with... Minor artifact :/. Well that's dissapointing. Was thinking we are at least on track of some quality 4 artifact.

Zn5uszm.jpg

I know I shouldn't keep my hopes up buuuuut... I really wanted some nice quality 4 christian artifact x]

Year 1005
======================

Still being dissapointed by how much research went into obtaining such a minor artifact, we flip the calendar page to 1005.

In February our Han courtier sent to retrieve book is spotted abandoning her cause. She found herself a place within some Arabic court and book is nowhere to be seen. Well that's quick 1-2 of failures in regards to artifacts in succesion. At least soon our son&heir comes of age, so we are ready for any sudden transfer of power

82EfK4R.jpg

Well he is genius and we rolled absolute minimum in regards to his education to be able to get most modifiers for prosperity (but after upgrading it once via Business focus). Lack of Diligent doesn't sting as much thanks to us needed to rebuild prosperity D:

In May we continue building structures. After Practise Range II, Warcamp II follow. More Excommunications are issued and then we hear about not small Norse realm in Norwey converting to Catharism. Well that definetely won't help future crusades. England did make up for losing allies in Italy. Then Catharism once again flips to being mainstream religion. It doesn't stop being exotic as with 0% moral authority some of it's provinces keep flipping to Catholic heresy. While for us on menu there is medium sized peasant rebelion erupting in tribe east of Perm itself - Thisageta.

More building up - Practise Ranges II in both Tarbagatai and Irghiz. That drops us finally below 7.000 prestige mark. Our Ecclesiarch converts Tarbagatai. I pause to think where to send him next. We have still 2 more counties that need converting before passively converting their culture (Burtasy and Irghiz). But this event is tied to character so as long as I have 1 county it's optimal. So I sent him into Bolghar county to eliminate that heretic hotspot and prevent spread from it. We still have over 11% yearly chance of converting it, so it ain't bad.

It reminds me that I own tribe in Irtysh. So make it 3 more counties that need converting. Also neglected building there, so we remedy this by starting Practise Ranges. Gotta get those archers to improve our tactics chances.

By December we finally arrive 1 province away from rebels. Securing prosperity of our capital duchy.

Year 1006
======================

In January big round of constructions ends in the heart of our demense. Weaponsmiths are maxed within Perm High Chiefdom. Kol'va and Pilva then proceed with Maxing culture building (boosting Heavy Infantry in Komi case), while Udmurts and Tynea start working on Training Grounds 2. That leaves us at 5.641 prestige. Slowly we are getting there :).

byVPp6O.jpg

Another chance at proving our retinues can deal with peasant rebels. While it doesn't matter with our prestige gain, it matters for my sanity that I don't have to let them rampage through our lands, before amass troops.

Reckoning comes for uppity peasants in Thisageta. They do manage to secure narrow flanks in hills with Feint tactics. We still roll them over but it kind of depressing that we have to rely on pure numbers to win. Then our border guard goes on march back to Mordva. Which will take around 11 months :)".

After that I start working on my administration issue with double (thanks to plague) counts. There is 5 of them, holding between them 10 counties. We have excommunicated all of them, so we can start readjusting. I start with count marriage. In the meantime we get another donation mission from Community of Saint Basil, so we give in to our charitable nature, getting Honest in return. This Emperor sure looks saint material more and more. Then I proceed with rest.

Mistakes are made as I accidentaly skipped over 1 character in the list in the overlay and he was not excommunicated but I moment ago just imprisoned him. So now we are the tyrant :/. Well Woopty-Doo!

BEqZmue.jpg

Cleaning up administration mess that occured due to plague instigated inheritances.

After ordering all 82 vassals to besiege enemies, I start moving my own retinues in Eastern part of realm to hasten the whole process. Also noticed that our religion MA went down the drain again - down to 30%. What's weird those are mostly lost holy wars but Byzantines are doing better than usual, fielding some 27.000 troops and having several one county victorious greek rebels around them. So much for more excommunication in the foreseeable future.

uxf5nBG.jpg

We are diligent and can train for even more health. So why not. This reign might be quite a longer than expected.

Udmurts loses depopulation in May while, Tynea tribe goes from significant to minor depopulation. We also do bribe our son into converting to Orthodoxy. Even if he takes part in some secret Catholic cult, we will see it and be able thus to exterminate it upon succession. What's more I want to start giving him Spiritual guidance and then gifting him virtues. First we get rid of Greedy. Putting Kezhay down to 5 traits.

By October we are done with excommunicantes in Bolghar and Kazahks duchies. That leaves us with just marriages to deal. I did kind of derped the AI by getting into war against already called vassals, thus AI for big chunk of that time was confused on what to do, as some rebels are still tagged as allies. Irghiz, Irtysh and Tarbagatai tribes continue on building up, as soon as they finished previous constructions. Giving us only 5.114 more prestige to burn through. Also our Moral Authority got nuked down to 14.8%. Forget about converting anything soon, as our Ecclesiarch chances went from 11% to 1.25% yearly.

In November our Spymaster steals 50 culture tech points, our vassals consolidate and start progressing our last 2 wars and we move retinues back onto border. Then my subjects manage to terribly overstack their armies on one of rebel tribes. Year ends with us having just 1 rebel county, 1 being besieged and 2 not even started.

Year 1007
======================

I did check and our vassal with holy ambitions changed them before achieving his goals :<. That's not great. Our spymaster is also waiting for another treatment, as his previous ended it's duration. Emperor Varaka on other hand is ranking up in Monastic society.

zsYRrNs.jpg

This time both new powers are interesting and of use for us. Slowly improving vassals, especially barons might be underestimated.

Soon we force Excommunicated husband count to surrender, which leaves only his wife in war with us. She is down to single holding close to Siberian taiga in duchy of Komi. But this is nothing to lose head about.

tCFjIaM.jpg

Our predicted life duration prolongs once more. Not sure if I will be happy or not in the end.

Now we are only waiting for chance at brawny to be ready to have the oldest ruler to date. With start of March another religious uprising occurs. Good. At least chance for extra Orthodoxy moral authority. Sunnis took arms this time if you wondered. Not suprised, as they are at abysmal 0% MA and are looking at becoming heresy within few years, as Zikri is keeping pace of conquering Islam world. While most realms are still nominally Sunni. Also Shia pretender in Egypt finally started getting warscore :)". Our unhappy muslims spawned in Karasor tribe. Such a shame that our border patrol is just province north-east. Sadly soon Bogomilists pop up in Saur county, next to silkroad in south-eastern Cumania. Also all counties beside Irtysh, recovered from depopulation.

With Spring we put behind us excommunication wars and start administering justice. Revoking exactly 2 counties for betrayal put's us at 19/12 personal demense. While I have the option to Invite Holy Ascetics now, it cost 300 devotion (meaning 15 months of passive income) and currently we have none. So we will have to do with regular "Invite Holy Man to Court decision". After some clicking I reconsider. Among counties to give out there are 2, which are orthodox with non-komi culture. So I get 2 Stewardship courtiers for them (to help conversion). Then I keep clicking button for "Holy Mans". I also decided to give away Tarbagatai county to some other administrator. He should so A-ok with that and it gives me some more breathing room. Thus once again I not passively culture converting.

fHaxexI.jpg

As we were discussing in previous week, I finally encoutered it. I also kept getting double Lifestyle characters - for example Scholar-Mystic

Just as Sunni rebelion ends, Tengri rebelions replaces it. But it occurs in Mordva tribe. Where my 5.500 retinues is. So their 4.000 troops instantly ambush us, but we beat them with ease (losing 300 men to kill over 2.000 rebels and completely deleting them). Thus easy +2% MA is achieved in quick succession. Putting us at 18% MA.

By June Warrior Gathering Grounds IV are done in Kolva and Pilva tribes, so they mimic tribes in southern Perm and start working on another level of Training Grounds. That removes further 400 prestige and put's us at just 5.000. No wait - Tynea, Udmurts and Burtasy ended their construction queue as well, so 3rd levels of Training Grounds and Practise Range III follow. That leaves only 4.100 prestige :).

I continue with last excommunication war left till now - this one is different. It revolves around that single Cheremisian vassal who previously conquered much of Vladimir duchy. We need to decentralise him :). Luckily he is closa to Mordva tribe so we can jump at him quickly. At the start of July I push another level of Practise Range in Irghiz (making border county more difficult to siege is beneficial) and remember to check Tarbagatai. It turns out our new administrator already culture converted it :). We order him Warrior Gathering ground in reward.

We proceed with siegeing Cheremisian vassal down. It goes smoothly. We get another donation request from monastic community and happily pay for that extra devotion. We are also rewarded with Temperate. That's 5 virtues already on top of Content, Zealous and Honest (well Possesed too). Our newly appointed Marshal also increases prosperity in Kudymkar by +6 from critical success in Training troops.

We conclude extraction war, diminishing our vassal from 6 counties down to 4. But we also execute him, letting his son succeed. With 2 extra counties I'm willing to try our "Invite Holy Ascetic" scheme. Well it quickly turns out to be not possible. We can't give out titles to Monks/Nuns :/. So we are back to chance rolling with Learning courtiers. Dammit!

So I try working with those Clergy-Courtiers that can be granted holdings. Some of them do pick Theology focus and if they have "Become the Councillor ambition I fulfill it by granting them temporarily Chancellorship. Sadly often they pick up "groom and heir" which basically removes any opportunity of change for at least 15 years. But I will keep doing it - this way maybe some of them after getting adult heir will decide to pick "Become Paragon of Virtue" ambition with already not small amount of Piety. By the way - our MA crashed again to 10% because of some smallpox epidemy in Constantinopole forcing Ecumenical Patriarch into hiding.

Year 1008
======================

We are down to 4 investors, which allowed us to not diminish our coffers too much so far. While actively building 3 Great Works at the same time, we are losing -186,93 gold coins every year. Our saldo currently shows 21.713 coins, so it isn't yet an issue but will have to think about investing more.

In February our son-in-law king of Romagna dies due to severe stress. Somehow Catholics are doing better than us. 53.5% MA and Pope managed to snatch for himself county next to Rome (Orvietto).

With May Zikri finally dethrones Sunnis as mainstream Islam. They have close to 92% MA and well are on great way to accumulate power further. Then we spend another 1.000 prestige on building upgrades in Pilva+Kolva (Training Grounds III) and Burtasy (Practise Range IV).

ZujEcuZ.jpg

As Emperor Varaka already has lifestyle trait I'm suprised to see this occur. But sure we will.

Seems like one of our ways out arrived. I keep juggling Chancellors, while our MA raches 1.9% I don't know who keeps losing holy wars. Bohemia converted to Paulicianism, Byzantines are actually recapturing Anatolia and are probably waiting for Serbia to split upon succession into 3 before attacking. Yet we are looking at -60% MA from lost holy wars in the last 20 years. Well at least this happens

MkG3Sg7.jpg

Forgot how quickly this type of wonder is built. Well no harm in it. We upgrade it even further. Also means extra holding slot sooner.

By November we keep building (Final levels of Training Grounds for Tynea and Udmurts tribes and 3rd level Practise Range for Irtysh) almost depleting our prestige (we are left with 1.387). More importantly we are notified that our great beast was spotted. Our Emperor rides out.

Last month in this part starts with another Bogomilist uprising in Buqtirma. There is 5.000 of them so maybe I should wait for some help from vassals. So as my vassal keep marshalling their troops, and our Emperor embarks on great hunt I will end this part :).

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congrats on finding a useful book and an artifact, even if it isn't a major one.

Do you have an idea about which saint the tongue belonged to? It doesn't look like the game specifies, but do you have any ideas about who it belongs to in the world of the AAR?

How many Zikri realms are there now?

Are there Zikri in your realm? Will some easily crushed religious rebellions be Zikri instead of Sunni now?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hope you don't think I got that book because:
Year 1005 said:
Still being dissapointed by how much research went into obtaining such a minor artifact, we flip the calendar page to 1005.

In February our Han courtier sent to retrieve book is spotted abandoning her cause. She found herself a place within some Arabic court and book is nowhere to be seen. Well that's quick 1-2 of failures in regards to artifacts in succesion. At least soon our son&heir comes of age, so we are ready for any sudden transfer of power

Regarding Saint - I haven't seen any while being Catholic and now there is none in Orthodoxy. Not sure about Miaphysite and Nestorians so I checked bloodlines on ledger and I stand corrected:
rxFBxjk.jpg

There is plenty of rebel Zikri 1 county realms. From bigger Sunni realms only Egypt and Ghaznavids remain but they do are in process of being dismantled. So far any Zikri realm didn't reach hegemony but Yemen and Jerusalem are relatively big with still plenty of event troops. Seems like Sunni will persist the longest in eastern Persia (de jure Sistan and Sindh) if they don't lose too rapidly to big expanding Hindu Persian realm pressing onto Khorasan.

There are no Zikri rulers in my realm as I keep strict control. If you mean provinces, here you go:
CYws1SJ.jpg

And yes there were and definetely will be Zikri uprisings. Not that it gonna help, as Sunni tanked to 0% and Zikri is at 95% while holding only 3 out of 5 Holy Sites (Baghdad is currently in hands of Armenian Miaphysites).

Thanks for your input!

Reactions:
Yes he does. First time I see what you mentioned previously :).
The one in my game had D3, I2, and M1 educations. He was in the game spawn and I think a count at spawn as well. Does your count get both L4 and L3 benefits in stats? When you call someone a baron, are you referring to count level or sub-level?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Wow. So he had 3? That's bonkers!

I must check but I think he did, because he also got double the penalties. Mine was spawned from decision in intrigue menu.
By Barons I mean sub-count levels (single castle inside county, city or bishopric).

Edit: Yes - he is benefiting from both education traits with all positives and negatives.

Reactions:
Part XXX (1009-1016)

jVnMiL6.jpg

Part XXX (1009-1016)

Year 1009
======================

We sit to toil again for the wellbeing of our people in Permo-Siberia during those taxing times. Turns out one of our vassals took dealing with peasants into his own hands, and using his 1.000 strong army defeated 4.000 lightly armored rebels before we decided to intervene, thus saving us the effort. That's +1% MA, which currently makes 1/3 of our religion MA :]".
7z2xzwq.jpg

Acquring new investors never truly ends. While I still managed to catch some interesting characters, it took way more time that usually and I think the "after plague lag" finally hit that "market"

After sending invitation, we also start family for our heir. He can take his time before taking over Emperorship in procuring suitable heirs. It almost goes without hiccup, but one of concubines turns to be daughter of local ruler and thus even with bribe refuses our invitation. Well 3/4 is still not bad and that includes Greek Genius relative of Count (so no huge prestige penalty).
bvW5OX0.jpg

Once those start, these hunting events fire quite frequently. Let's hope for something beneficial.

February starts quite eventful. First we have our Great Hunt proceeding. We drink some potion and even with hopeful description I notice no permament difference (was thinking maybe it will give us strong/greedy/lustful). Then in few days our Grand Cathedral in Tynea county finishes upgrading to Stage 2. There is not much of visual difference but maybe upon comparing both pictures there is more than I remember. But more importantly we finished previous stage in year 981, which means, that in year 1031 we will become eligible for "New Town is born" event here. We still need more features there (as it is currently completely feature-less).
vVUvdzo.jpg

As the name of that most holy place suggest, we prevailed and persisted. From now on this will remind us the hardship Komi people had to deal with so far.

But waait! There is more. Our Marshal returned to us with yet another rumour. This time is marked as more significant. So I start breathing heavily and my excitement is drived by thoughts of acquiring quality 4 or 5 religious artifact. We obviosly thank marshall but send our previous artifact hunter - jewish spymaster Achunai of Plyos for this task. He has great pox, developed Lunatic behaviour but still this cruel, greedy Genious is man for this kind of job. All of sudden living few extra years as current emperor became really important :).
UKIlOjc.jpg

Not exactly the best to hear such rumours once your ruler is close to 60 years old, but hey we will try anyway. Maybe we just manage to find it before Varaka Permyakid croaks.

I raise our levies (around 15.000 men), as I found some use for them in the near future but it still will make some time for them to march all the way to our capital. Retinues that were protecting the borders are moved onto few selected 'scheming to kill some courtiers' vassals, as I want to replace them with probably better candidates to speed up culture change. There is also our ungrateful clergymen, who after getting tribe started scheme focus (from our experiments in previous part). For him though I start my own assasination plot (seems we can get up to 400% plot power), as we are still his heir.

With coming of march our 75 years old Keeper of tomes dies, and our treasury refills instantly after recent investments. I quickly exchange our master of hunt position and invite some spare courtier I wisely booked in reserve, giving our investor pool another 343 gold. Our Spymaster at the same time informs us about his progress in artifact search. He demands 50% plot power defence and power. That's a lot just as we get informed our ungrateful vassal will have an accident. But decision is made to make that significant artifact search progress. Soon our scoundrel vassal dies in manure explosion, without trace of our complicity. He is replaced with commander (19 martial and 'Leading the center' commander trait) to boost up levies that tribe provides.

Spring start with another Chancellor (no luck so far with anyone deciding on "Become the Paragon of Virtue ambition) and capable one at that. I send him to Tortosa county in middle-east to fabricate claim. Why? Because if we are to live for a moment, maybe we will want to generate some claims to costly pass them to Kezhay. But maybe it won't be costly even? I was thinking about intervetion in vicinity of Jerusalem for some time now, after Abbasids collapsed. It might be a nice task during our next ruler reign. So for now let's start working on it just in case. We also try to imprison Chieftess Litava of Osha tribe for her involvement in some assasination plot. Just to replace her as her county needs more administration oriented ruler to help with assimilating locals. She evades our guards and rises in rebelion, but our 3.900 strong retinues are already there so her 300 strong force is demolished instantly. The siege begins. Our western retinue had to give up, as one of vassals reconsidered his schemes on his own and now they are moving up all the way to Kargopol in Nenetsia to deal with last target.

To my suprise before May, our target chieftess called to war 3 other chiefs to her defence. First of them is considered stupid but later one of our better commanders joins. It won't help much as probably they will surrender after we extract her from her tribe walls but is annoying.

During summer we instigate the same manouver in Kargopol but sadly catch local chief with just 38% chance. Can't imprison him again, as he isn't excommunicated. The war is prolonged as even after taking all the holdings of main target, we are at just 97% warscore and opposing side refuses to surrender. So we move out and hunt one of Chieftess Litava allies in the field, which finally forces them to peace talks. I only revoke her tribe and leave 3 other traitors free (one has quick heir, second has already converted his county and third is fellow Crusader commander).
ihKT6O4.jpg

I keep revoked tribe, because it is strategically located in the middle of our eastern realm. Also has temple holding, which will help technology spread :). With that we can evenly feed technology into previous nomadic lands, as they count as being adjecent to rest of our personal demense

That leaves me at 11/12 holding limit. As newly acquired Osha tribe was partially build I continue that by upgrading Practise range I into II (-200 prestige). Time for our other scheme. Remember that raised levies? They gathered. Now I sent them west towards rising Russian Tengri kingdom on our borders. Why? Because they have plethora of Temples to loot. Gotta help clergy spreading good word ;).

So as Autumn approaches and our raiders move out, we get issued another mission from our comrades in Community of Saint Basil (Orthodox Monastic society). This time they don't want money (weird as we were asked donations like 3 times in a row?) but want us to do some seclusion and penance. Happy to oblige!
76O9hDW.jpg

With over 600 devotion and yearly income of +288 we surely want to speed up gathering 2.000 devotion for last rank in this society. Also I still don't have Erudite trait and this is occasssion to earn extra +2 Learning.

We start besieging 4 counties of 4 different realms. Doesn't help, because in meantime our MA reached 0%! Our emperor sure will have to ponder on that while meditating, thus leaving realm managment in the hands of his son and heir - designated regent Kezhay Permyakid. Pilva and Kolva tribes finish Training Grounds III and Irtysh completes Practise Range III. I will wait till new year to start another round of buildings as Burtasy tribe will finish it's construction by then. At the end of month we lose our hunting dog. Not great for longevity - expected him to survive few years more.

Our Chinese ward comes out of age frail and cynical with diligent being only redeeming trait. She is ambitious but soon stops thanks to our succesful Monastic intervention >.>. We at least arrange for lustful husband for daughter of our Scholar-Bureaucrat to keep Taoist characters alive in our court. Meanwhile our 5.600 strong cavalry retinues raiding Suomi (on the border) will have to fend for themself in local forest against slightly numerically superior Finns (6.150) Troops are arrenged into center and left flank under capable commanders. Our Varaka finally fires event for interpreting Bible and we have 75% of success on our own compared to 65% on option to ask our Ecclesiarch. Yet we instantly fail. Damn!
mf9oNmh.jpg

We repel locals after sacking their temple. Due to how many things kept happening I didn't realised mistake during taking screenshot :)"

Battle doesn't go well. Yes we are slowly winning with 2 Volley Tactics and Shieldwall against their Inspired Defence and Harass, but for once it's they who have Heavy Infantry to use in what seems to be a battle reaching Melee phase.

Year 1010
======================

Battle prolong itself till the end of January. Mostly thanks to our goofy Suomenusko warrior lodge commander on the flank that kept firing defensive tactics. It ends with us losing close to 1.000 men for 2.200 locals. Ouch! It wouldn't be an end of world if we lost it, as I don't intend to keep raiding Finland but would prefer our force to be more intact before moving them for use in Vladimir. Well we will move them anyway. Additionally on 16th of January we get informed that Spymaster is making steady progress on search of artifact. That's great. Back to tribe infrastructure - we spend 2x400 prestige on final Training Grounds in Pilva and Kolva, 100 prestige on Training Grounds I in Burtasy and 400 prestige on Practise Range IV in Irtysh. Which leaves us with just 365 prestige. Amount that won't hurt in case of unexpected sudden death. Our Raiders also manage to open up 2 out of 3 holdings behind border on the Silk Road. Decided to try it as Tibet Empire (current owner) is in the middle of civil war.
MIVsAfY.jpg

Many temples nearby might help us recover some morality for Orthodoxy. If needed we are close to replenish our numbers too. And we are hitting Tengri MA, which is also beneficial.

Our Levies after looting temple in Yegoryevsk move onto Moskva. In February interesting fatherless girl is born to one of our Vassals. She is Genius. I will gladly take over as her teacher to mold her into suitable partner for our Heir later. Also my Genius spymaster fires event that let us choose between +10% arrest and plot power. We take arrest as it might be usable but only for a year. It also increases prosperity in Kolva capital by most likely +6. Our raiding forces in Aylik (Tarbagatai duchy) are also done so we move them northwards towards rest of feudal type counties in the vicinity. We keep getting around 40 gold per holding looted on border so it ain't bad. We also extracted several prisoners (first time in ages) from Nomadic descendants holding Tengri holy site in the south. One of our Vassals embraces some heresy but we persuade her to convert back. Still we suffer 3.8% Moral Authority.
vKE1bxn.jpg

Took us little less than 12 years after epidemic to recover from depopulation and reach 1st prosperity level as arctic tribal capital x]

As we celebrate economic progress, Vladimir'ians move onto our raiding retinues located in north. 5.300 of them versus 4.800 of us in Forest. Not bad. I replace defensive oriented wing commander though. Just as I prepare for that battle, huge 10.000 strong Zikri uprising occurs in Irghiz tribe. I evacuate instantly my steward from there (to not let the mob kill him) and call for help from vassals, as retinues nearby are only 3.150 men strong. That one thing I really did not really needed right now.
IpQNPy6.jpg

Facing Off most of Vladimir's event troops in their on Forest

The battle against Russians is long and bloody thanks again to goofy tactics of army wing. We win but lose 1.100 men for their 2.300. If it keep going that way sooner or later we will be forced out. So now marshalling troops to deal with Zikri's begins. During all that my Emperor kept being secluded slowly recovering from initial failure by small amount of progression. This will take waay longer than usually. At least future Emperor now can earn some firsthand experience at running realm.

On 27th of May our ward Wang Mai comes out of ages. He is Midas Touched Taoist Han steward candidate with 17 Stewardship and ambitious. Currently rival but we will not intervene and hope he retains ambitious for use under future emperor. We keep looting and after dealing with Moskva and moving province away, supplies are finally good enough to split our 14.000 strong levies to start siegeing 2 counties simultaneously.

During summer we find a key to old, dusty locked chest from God knows how long ago. Of course turns out the coffers war completely empty x]. Good to know this event pops up even without warrior lodge.
byfQOG3.jpg

I Wonder if not being eligible for other Norse specific sacking events and having already found "+2 Axe" we are more likely to found those Strange Chests. We went from previously best outcome to worse outcome this time.

Just as I manage our raiders, news from China arrives. Turns out previous Emperor died and there is new one - Li Xuanzong. He likes Iranian cultures but dislikes /Buddhist. Which reminds me that I probably should prepare some gifts to his liking. But not now as our character is in seclusion.

Bu Autumn as I move our 3 armies through Vladimir Kingdom in hunt of Temples, our MA recovered to arround 11%. Mostly thanks to 12% Lost Holy wars timing out. I've seen that Byzantines managed to loose against both rebels (losing some counties in Anatolia and Hellas in Greece) while having over 20.000 troops still =.=. Due to probably that we have -30% from 'Rebel victories'. Russians once again charge our retinues but this time it us who have numerical advantage on top of Forest defensive bonus.

In September we finally end seclusion and reach 1.150 devotion. Nice. Less than 5 years till last Monastic rank. My previously raiding south of Cumania retinues managed to circle back while avoiding Zikri rebels back to our lands. Now we start getting those vassal armies and soon we should be able to deal with non-believers. Both Tynea and Udmurts finish their last prestige based buildings, meaning now we are ready to start putting real gold into our tribes.

Russians once again bounce off our retinues (200 men for their 1.700 exchange) and now we have to pay attention mostly to rebels. It takes quite some time to convince our vassals to follow us, despite orders.

Year 1011
======================

I recall my retinues from Tibetan Empire. Why? Because I realised I was raiding my own religion temples =.=. They still belonged to those Orthodox Karluks, we accidentally spawned by past sheningans with Horde title claim wars. Which definetely wasn't helping. I also lock onto Zikri rebels but my reinforcements are behind. Thus we start battle badly outnumbered (3:1).
cd22NnH.jpg

Costly initiation of battle against Sunni rebels. Our retinues took majority of casualties so our vassals could tackle those Pechenegs in melee.

Battle goes horribly for Emperor personal troops, as they are sacrificed so the rest of vassals finally decides to join the fray. We lose 1/3 of our retinue force and they route, before more allied armies feed into battle at melee phase. We win in the end and put down whole Rebelion (+1% MA) but daaamn... was it not needed to lose so many men. In the meantime we inherited Tarbagatai tribe again (and gave it away). Raiders are working in Novgorod, Vyazma and Toropets counties. Also on 28th of January we received another progress in artifact search. With that I finally have time to find perfect gift for new Chinese Emperor.

By March I procure Persian Sunni, Grey Eminence. He should give us some grace upon doubling for his culture. But I didn't check and thus he turned out being not eligible to being send. Then after several minutes of looking through I finally find candidate. Monophysite Persian with 20 Learning, Mastermind Theologian, Architect
tptq0Th.jpg

Chinese emperor can enjoy Iranian architecture and we can enjoy Chinese Master Engineer

With extra 700 grace I can once again afford to replenish vacant office of Master Engineer. This time we get a women! How progressive of China :) I can marry our newly arriveed Di Xinyue to Wang Mai (grandson of previous Master Engineer / son of Wang Hong that betrayed us during search for Roman architecture book). Thus keeping our Permian Han population growing. Also he is presented 3 concubines with at least some bonus fertility (as his wife is 30 years old already).

Di Xinyue ironically fires her first province modifier for Irghiz again. It is also something we already seen - Administrative outpost (+1 Economic/Cultural technology points income). We progress with sacking more Tengri temples in Vladimir, recovering up to 19% of "Faith" into Orthodox religion. Then I look onto my prestige situation and see many tribes not working. Pilva and Kolva are finishing their last prestige buildings, which leaves us with just outskirts. I decide to spend 300 prestige on Warcamp III in Burtasy (to make it tougher to siege) and 200 prestige on Warcamp II in Osha tribes. Also another 200 goes towards Irghiz tribe and second level of weaponsmith. Upon checking our Permian Mercenary band is still alive with 7.700 gold coins in their pockets.

As we keep improving our religious status, our Emperor once again goes on great hunt. Russians keep attacking fruitlessly. That said after repeling them in Smolensk I do notice, that my once 7.000 part of levies without winter specialist diminished to under 4.000 warriors. Well we will still continue, as locals can't dream about beating even that. We are also replenishing troops decently back home, so if we have we can "refill" our forces. Also there are so many temples here that by the time we probably end, we might be not too far away from looting initial temples again (1013 year is a timer for those east of Moskva). By August Irtysh finishes Practise Ranges. Sadly I have -6 prestige income, as we keep reinforcing 2 damaged retinue forces.
DWrfGSc.jpg

That's second sacrifice for the search. I'm really hoping it keeps happening to speed up the whole process.

We get unexpected update on whole hunt for artifact. That's second such event, each giving +5 progress and we had 2 regular updates. That means so far we secured 12 points of progress. I have no idea whether this artifact rumour is medium or major but we will learn in time. Medium requires 14 points of progress, while major 20. So if we get it within 2 years it was middle quality from possible outcomes. It is possible to get Bones of Saint Peter from Quality 5, which reduces both build time and cost by 10%. From Quality 4 Seamless Robe of Jesus is nice (+10% National Tax), but Crown of Thorns ain't bad (-3% National Revolt Risk). The whole hunting activity goes without much thrill. We get some event but fail at 20% Chaste chance.

It ain't the end as in December Megaloschemos ask us for another donation. Two hundred devotion for 100 gold isn't bad. It put's us even closer to being able to rank up (1.700/2000). Once we reach last rank we will get several great powers and modifiers. We soon also get one of the last missing virtues (Chaste) and now our devotion income rises to +312/year.

Year 1012
======================

Yet another Anno Domini starts on managing logistic. Was moving our raiders around. I keep ransoming prisoners that kept showing up. Sometimes for 130g sometimes for 340g. Note that we are not members of Warrior lodge and thus lack amazing passive power increasing our chance of procuring them. As I was waiting around I noticed that somehow Italy-Bavaria managed to snatch kingdom of England for itself. But it was passed to one of Cathar sons of previous king. So we start assasination plot (one of our female relatives that was married into their dynasty is still there), as we can easily reach 160%. Killing current king Lodovico II of Italy, would pass the crown to his father - Prince Lothar "the sword of the Lord" and fellow Crusader :). And then to his son Giuseppe von Kufstein. Both are Catholics, which is what we care for. Their Moral Authority is doing really well (62%) given that now they have partial control over holy site in England. Turns out Lodovico has claim on Permo-Siberian empire, because he is son of Varaka niece (daughter of emperor Viryay "the Accursed"). Also he is possessed (thus making whole plot possible % wise) but also celibate. Meaning this can sort itself out on it's own.
xoEXUbV.jpg

Catholics start making moves, after getting help from us in Crusade. Nice. If they somehow convert England to our cause, it will make for valuable ally against France.

Spymaster generates +50 economic tech points. No update on artifact search. Seems those ticks are irregular. Decided to move our previously battered retinues away from Irghiz. Local county has 24% revolt risk for 2 more months and it would suck to lose whole retinue army due to rebelion spawning on top of our troops. During April also our assasination plot fires. we hire some bandits and carry out hit run on the road. Everything goes smoothly and soon our fellow Crusader (which actually contributed to winning war) is once again on throne of 3 kingdoms. Let's hope he won't lose against rebelion forcing him to abdicate again.

With coming of spring I decide to sponsor Summer Fair. Why? Cause it also increases prosperity in Capital slightly. Get used for us to keep both it and Feast up, to speedrun that prosperity gain. At this point having any province at max prosperity is priority to not waste years without chance for extra holding slots. Also Warcamp II finishes in Osha tribe. We are out of prestige though (14 atm) due to reinforcing retinues. We proceed with unboxing Tengri temples in Vladimir, keeping our Orthodoxy at around 21% MA.

Alongside long summer heat, I confirm that Vladimir is big enough for us to keep constantly looting temples. That's neat. That makes for easily accessible raiding across border. Still I have to return one levy army that is halfway depleted to raise them again in full strenght. We have the men, who kept replenishing in the meantime. Additionally our upper limit of levies raised to over 17.000 :). That's a force! We have to deal with some raiders too. In Southern Cumania 1.000 khazars tries to rob Or tribe (that still suffers from significant depopulation), but our almost fully replenished retinue force in the region beats them. Then our returning levies are moving onto 1.900 enemies besieging Mordva. Not raiders - enemies. Why? Because local chieftess decided to holy war Ryazan. I could not help her and then wouldn't have to extract those tribes. But that is another -3% MA for us. Ehh!
6QIhs7h.jpg

Once again we are eligible to pick it up. I forgot that it also gives +1 stewardship upon completion. Let's hope we manage to live long enough to find artifact and get that extra prosperity (+35 points for every county in realm)

It doesn't matter, as they take over her tribe before we can arrive, giving them 100% warscore. Thus she surrenders, as next vassal declares holy war on them >.>. How could I not love my morons? We still beat those event troops down, thus making our biggest Vassal in Vladimir war easier. We kind off achieved the worst possible outcome, without fault of our own :/.

In September we get the pop up that this world is dangerous place. It's a red flag! I check plots and turns out our daughter and rival Sanal'ka Permyakid, currently residing in Italy is hiring goons in our court to kill us! We send her our demands to stop that at once - plot power is at 89%, so it shouldn't be too late to talk it through! After that our subjects notice us about spotting of great beast, that Varaka was on trail of.

Levies were reraised and and slowly marching down to Burtasy tribe. Not everything is up to maximum but still 5.000 troops is way better than 3.000 troops out of 7.000. Then on 23th of October we get notification of Spymaster making steady progress with artifact search. That's 13th point in that event, so probably next year it will end with quality 4 artifact or not (meaning we are on hunt for quality 5!).

On the first day of October we can push towards final rank in monastic Society (Megaloschemos). I was thinking of it earlier whether it is wise to spend 2.000 devotion on rank up or wait to become new leader upon succession. After consulting member list it seems inheritance of that rank is no-go. We are losing in society score against way younger candidates, who are monks/nuns. There is another thing to consider though - missions. I'm not sure if being at final rank but not the leader, prevents us from getting further missions. They are a nice source of extra devotion every 2-3 years. So we could not rank up now and gamble on accumulating devotion to instantly use several powers upon ranking up at once. But then again we might be receiving missions or die in the process with unspent points. So I think ranking up is the choice, so in the worst case we will learn how it works.
R0Z8tSh.jpg

Decision to rank up instantly instead of stockpiling more devotion.

We get rewarded for our choice with extra devotion income from reaching highest society rank. Which just works out to be worth more currency than missions anyway and comes without any requirements! I can't organise a feast cause we miss prestige (90 out of 100 needed) and our emperor is out in the wilds hunting. By the end of year we reach 21% Temple Looted in Orthodox MA description (from 4% base). Sadly we are still mared with -54% Holy Wars lost and -30% Heretic Rebel Victories =.=. We also get rid of negative "Out of Patience" character modifiers, which baloons our attributes to 25/28/26/5/28 (Diplomacy/Martial/Stewardship/Intrigue/Learning). Just few days before end of year we manage to return to court and start organising feast at last possible moment.

Year 1013
======================

As preparation for feast are ongoing, our winter-resistant levies are making their way back to starting point of our 'Vladimir campaign', as soon their looted cooldown will vanish. Then we get this notification:
uFiQR9f.jpg

Turns out I was right and as long as I'm not a leader, we still get the benefit of missions on top of getting extra society currency.

This is working better and better for us :). Then we slowly watch as our levies trod back (and cause casualties thanks to issue with supplies when passing through county with our retinues present).

With advent of spring we once again start summer fair, while our raiders re-start the whole Vladimir raiding route again :). Then in May our Spymaster steals 50 military technology points - I forgot to keep mentioning this success also generates +6 prosperity points in capital every time it happens, so now Kol'va is getting some extra prosperity out of blue :). Then as month changes we get notified that Kudymkar (county that we are targeting with both Crown Focus and Marshal mission) reaches 1st prosperity level.
U6WSmmF.jpg

Wow. Either we are extremely lucky or currently there is a tremendously high chance of this event happening for some reason. We bribe our courtier before sending her.

Summer greets us with 2nd opportunity at finding lost Roman book about architecture. This time wisely I examine, who will be sent. Sochava (1st option) likes us quite a lot and is diligent. We bribe her (before she becomes unavailable due to being in travel) and off she goes. Really nice that this event isn't limited to firing once per ruler. We will monitor her but in the meantime we get some work to do.
uMwpiDT.jpg

Thanks to huge discount from final rank of Community of Saint Basil (-50%) we can build several holdings for basically free.

One of the reasons for my advancement towards Megaloschemos rank was an opportunity to cheaply build many temples. Not only will they help our religion authority but also are not too bad of financial investment. By appointing skilled stewards (or spare sons) as Bishops there, we could easily double our income. If it was not for 'over the limit vassal penalty'. But even with that, they will retain those money, making it possible to extract it from them later. How profitable it is?

====================================
Base temple - 8 gold yearly income
Temple cost - between 50 and 80g (depends on how much Construction tech we had in county)
Time to pay for itself - between 7 and 10 years
Time to pay for itself if we were paid 60% Temple taxes - between 11 and 17 years
====================================

This isn't even counting holder stewardship (and we have few Bishops that increase it by around 30% or more) and technology. Both of those modifiers are multiplicative instead of additive too! And I didn't even mentioned that, temples have possibility of building Monastic School to speed up technology spread across realm :). So as you can see it is very profitable (as a tribal) to build, if you delay your feudalisation at least for around 100 years. Won't build more for now, as I still have not figured out optimal use of building slots outside personal demense. So filling counties with at least 3 holdings slots for now.

In the wider world, Byzantine Empire holy war'ed back one of lost duchies. At the same time Basilea vassals are reintegrating some counties that got away, improving cohesion of empire in process and taking back chunks of Greece. With that we are up to 26% MA. I really wish, for most of negative modifiers to time out.

As some of our eastern levies are still marching to Burtasy tribe, 1.250 strong Uyghur raiding host shows up on the border. Our retinues in Irtysh (3.900 light infantry/light cavalry) that didn't had anything to do for long time are thus moved out. By mid September we beat them, killing 750 of them but only losing 75 men ourself. I made the decision to switch Emperor Varaka focus from Hunting to Theology to fulfill monastic mission. While Hunting can still give us prestige from hunting great beast and Brawny from pulse event, the first (IRC) can kill us and second isn't highly likely to begin with. Theology still retains passive +1 health and might increase our piety gain. Also it enables us to go on Pilgrimage!

By end of September we get another notification about Spymaster making steady progress in search of artifact. That's 14th point. So unless in days to come the whole event wraps up, we are onto some really epic artifact. Our Councillor so far used Intrigue and Stewardship special events (and at least for a year he can't use Intrigue again and even longer for Stewardship). At this point the worst thing is for him to roll usage of his Learning (only attribute below 8) and failing. It is 1/3 chances (if the roll is before intrigue cd wears off), as he will be rolling from Diplomacy/Martial/Learning options. Eventually he can ask for gold I think (haven't that in a while).

In October Sochava returns with empty hands. Turns out event failed but at least we get paid back most of our expenses. Maybe it fires 3rd time, as I have feeling that due to exhausting most possible events, those artifact related ones are firing more often now. Later that month we get notified that our acquaintance King Lothar "the Sword of the Lord" got assasinated. Most likely his Cathar Anglo-Saxon nobles. His titles are all inherited by his other 3 years old son, that fought off "Sickly" trait. Ok I lied. Upon checking, someone else inherited Kingdom of England but he is king of it, while having no holdings inside it. Thus England fragments into Dukedoms.
SexjwmF.jpg

Different type of failure is reached this time. At least we got back some funds back.

Then we get offered from our re-admitted Chancellor opportunity to get claim on County of Tripoli for cheap price of 33g and 150 prestige. We take it. To make it inheritable, we might need to press war and surrender. I'm just worried how much will it cost. Is it based on our treasury (bad outcome) or income (great outcome).

On 1st of December we start theology event chain (for now +20 piety for wanting to read scriptures) and another feast.

Year 1014
======================

Year starts with awful choice pressed upon us. From Theology either we lose Zealous or get 100 piety with 30% chance at depression. That negative health modifier is a killer at rip old age of 63. I will part with Zealous I guess. Maybe we get it again later. If not, well I'm not in huge need of many seclusion events. We continue our sieges in Vladimir and our other force is finally assembled. Force just numbers currently the same, as the army under our winter commander. Before end of first month our Jewish Spymaster thanks to his contacts generates further 50 military tech points. No prosperity though.

With February our prestige income is back. We move our western retinues to sack single county realm inside duchy of Vladimir. Also I spot that there is new emperor of Romans - Basileus Theodotos. And he is all business, as he instantly began his reign by retaking county of Constantinopole. Also his nemesis kingdom of Serbia-Epirus-Bulgharia under female ruler Khanum Sibel, now has 4 male heirs in line of succession. Byzantines have also close to 30.000 troops to use and reconquer, as currently their eastern border stabilised and nothing is happening.

In May we start yet another summer fair (getting extra 12 prosperity points/year from event's will slowly add up). We also get presented interesting event from Theology focus, which allows us to become Malnourished with chance of becoming Diligent (we already are) and maybe Zealous. No I won't take Malnourished as I'm afraid it might lead to some health complications. Instead I will lower my stats by taking "Hard Diet" for that +0.25 health.
3hBxKEl.jpg

Hard choice but better safe than sorry. We need to buy time for our little artifact hunt.

We work on sacking Vladimir temples and slowly accumulate up to 30% MA. Probably will have to help because contrary to my belief our Qazan-Vladimir vassal is losing his own holy war. It's concerning that "Heretic Rebelions" are not vanishing, which means they either occured in one big lump at the same time or have a really long duration. Another repercussion of our theology choice occurs and now we either risk 50% depression chance to keep Hard Diet or we remove hard diet. Well we said no to Emperor Varaka being depressed and we will say it again. While losing that small health modifier isn't great, at least we get rid of stats penalty. Hoping it exhausted that event chain avenue. If we get depression anyway... It won't feel great.
mWyEQh9.jpg

Turns out we have to babysit our vassal in Vladimir high chiefdom and eliminate his opponents to preserve our religion Moral Authority. Lose-Lose situation no matter what we do. Argh!

As we finally catch and trounce Ryazanians, our Spymaster informs us on 20th September about another progress in artifact search. That's it. We are on track to get one of rarest artifacts and it is our 15th out of 20 points required. Any special event occuring might basically finish the whole artifact hunt, as they provide +5 progression points. We finish enemies and kill 2/3 of their force. Maybe now our derpy vassal will manage to not lose another Holy War.

This way we finally reach November but I'm again a week late to host feast early enough, that we can host 2 such events during single season. Got distracted by 5 temples finishing constructing. We assign capable administrators there and then we get interupted by our raiders, who found another key to strange chest. This time it give us +200g. Nice! We sent our Marshal to hunt meat for feast (weird it didn't happen so far) and then upon game updating I check on how profitable those temples are. The only downside is that by removing empty holding slots I removed +50% to base levy value across demense, moving our Levies from 16.000 (After losing Zealous) to 15.000. It takes me 10 tries for 7.9 gold each to get satysfying Bishops. We also start Building Church Town I everywhere to accelerate investment. I also spot some visual bug - not all of my modifiers are visible as upon deciding to construct instead of I pressume his 138g price I pay 61g.
qgqSdU9.jpg

Initial not-recalculated by game return of investment on those Economic Bishoprics. Their

With all that (temple in Burtasy finishes as I write it and in 2 weeks temple in Irtysh will be completed too) Orthodoxy MA rises up to 38%. Now we are starting to get somewhere. With few more % we will regain ability to use Excommunications (I know you are missing it dearly xD). Also it seems that barons update less often than monthly, as those newly assigned didn't double their state stewardship (as the Bishop of Perm does). Maybe it is with new year? It will increase their income by a ton! Given that we accumulated some prestige (700) I push final level of Warcamps in Burtasy and Weaponsmith II in Osha tribe. Emperor Varaka also accumulated enough Devotion to instantly convert single province in realm to Orthodoxy. The power is spent on Buqtirma in eastern Cumania to get rid of Bogomilists spread in the vicinity. It does increase revolt risk from 8% to 15% for 2 years. But after that it will diminish to just 5%. Or even 0% because upon inspection county has will lose "Heretic Stronghold" modifier upon change of month.

Year 1015
======================

With year 1015 arriving, sadly our new bishops state stewardship doesn't update :(. So it seems maybe year after they got landed? I will keep you updated and check from time to time. At least our Marshal increases prosperity in Kudymkar by +6 via success in his mission of training troops.

By February we get our ability to request Excommunications back. I use it at once on Chieftess of Turgay (province east to Irghiz). Why? Because that county has 3 holding slots, meaning if we hold it, we could build Temple there to speed up technology spread on the reaches of our empire even further. But we don't press the issue now (cause we are diligent and remember about our "See the Realm Prosper" ambition). As we move beyond 41% MA treshold our Patriarch conversion chances once again rise by around 4% to 13.33% yearly chance. Next such increase over 61%.

In April we get issued another monastic mission. Easy one this time - another attempt at Seclusion. As you remember last time we fumbled our chance at getting Erudite. Let's try it again. But before that let's wait for May to throw Summer Fair. Our Ruler can do penance during summer.
LMe3GIR.jpg

We help our Vladimirians with their Zikri uprising. Cool to see our altaic army model (loyalists) again altaic rebel model.

After intervening on behalf of our neighbouring victim, we get informed that Varaka's wife became pregnant. Well I don't believe it :)". Not with Celibate character. So the investigation begins.

We return the longer raiding force back to replenish them, swapping commanders to the army that will remain and keep looting. Summer fair concludes and we start our meditation. By doing that, we get awarded Malnourished trait anyway :)". Why do I even bother... x]? At least I keep up with moving our raiders from one target to another. I also moved our retinues onto southern nomadic land to loot 3 temples there.
lDTyBeG.jpg

We finally have success and obtain Erudite, which further increases our devotion gain, which now stands at +481/year. With some mission that's county converted every 2 years. Not bad!

After progress showed above our Spymaster rolls once again Intrigue special progress event, and we gladly will give him support and take that negative penalty for just few months most likely. According to my math this should be +5, putting whole event chain at 20 progression points - meaning next tick it should end.
pGJl48c.jpg

Safe Intrigue based event progress. I'm more than happy to grant it! Seems the star are aligned for success.

Out of blue we inherit Tribe of Balkhash together with Chinese Ceremonial Robes (+0.5 prestige gain/month and +1 Diplomacy). Holding is located in Kazakh duchy (southern Cumania) and interestingely it is already culture converted but not religion converted. I spend two-three clicks to generate commander and assign him there with some cash. Will keep artifact for ourself thank you!

During October we beat down some old visitors from across border in south-western Cumania, then get audio spammed with sound affect of children dying. Due to some peasant uprising our granddaughters in Italian kingdom get killed. Three out of six children of Queen Sanal'ka of England (Varaka daughter) die. I check on our Economic Bishops and they finished Church towns so Church Walls I follow (pre-requisite for many buildings). Also they still haven't updated their state stewardship.

We keep making progress in seclusion twice (and I'm suprised it didn't end already) keep managing raiders and rebuild forts in high chiefdom of Perm. It might save us some prosperity in the future by delaying any rebels just few days more! We can't organise feast, as we are still secluded. We also manage to get ultra unlucky, while helping Vladimirians deal with their peasant revolt, angry mob gets reinforced from 9.000 troops up to 18.000 troops. And our northern levies that were recapturing got trashed big time. We lose 2.600 men for their 180. Well can't say I didn't deserve it as some of that revolt risk in those lands is probably thanks to us.

Year 1016
======================

On 25th of January "iffy" daughter is born to emperor Varaka. Well that ain't the worst but it probably isn't his kid. Also we end our seclusion, neting us +200 devotion (putting us at 800), which means by mid year we will be able to convert yet another province.

Our levies get routed close to Baltic coast, where I started opening up Latvian temples. It still means we are down to 2 sacking armies at the moment (one in Latvia and one on Pontic steppe). I watch as new young Basileos takes over Greeks. While he is dumb he might be just a man we need, as he started by Holy Waring single county Muslims in Anatolia with his 30.000 troops. Bizairre what it takes for AI to start doing stuff :)". Similarly little more to the east Kingdom of Armenia took over Baghdad and is shielding Greeks from fracturing remnants of Abbasids fighting against rising Zikri realms. That reminds me of my Chancellor to re-sent him for claim fabrication in case he got bribed. I realise something. He was the same chief of Non-Komi cultured county I excommunicated half a year ago to replace him, thus diminishing his nice and high diplomacy by -5 to just 17 x]. Oops!

In April I did check my capital duchy temples and finally the state stewardship was recalculated. This doubles the bonus from attribute when generating income - just look at best example:
mp8m8MW.jpg

This is one way to play tall - by managing characters. The same can be done for levies or technology generation on Dukes+. This also makes use of extra sons on stewardship :)

Will keep utilizing this method to even greater extent with city vassals. Sadly temple vassals lack ability to marry for extra 1/2 of spouse attributes contributing to state stewardship. But that's in the future and currently we have Zikri revolt to deal with.
fZQRYFX.jpg

Our Vladimir chief makes his damnest to make our life difficult and annoying.

Will have to call-in vassals to deal with that, as I'm not moving my raiders back to just deal with little 3.500 unhappy locals. In the meantime surveyed my 91 vassals and found one scheming enthusiast to gift him most valuable excommunication notice. I trounce local khazars to unlock last county containing feudal holdings.

In June our marshal reports another success in Kudymkar and emperor has just enough devotion to convert another county. Upon some consideration I decide on Burtasy tribe. Not only would it be nice for locals to visit temple we just build there, but also that will give us county to culture convert passively and strenghten garrison on border. Also last genius concubine we had in mind at the start of this part, for our son&heir becomes eligible to be invited. We don't even have to use favor we still have on her.

Month later huge news arrives. Our spymaster returned with artifact. This time he fulfilled all expectations - quality 5 artifact in shape of... Bones of Saint Peter! The best possible outcome from artifact pool for that event (it also includes Staff of Moses and Harp of David). Wow just wow. That's perfect find to store in our Grand Cathedral - Hagia Epimoni. It removes a lot of work for me, as I not longer need to keep my Taoist breeding program going. I was planning to convert to Taoist, as one of religion specific schools offers -10% Building Time and Cost. The same as Bones of Saint Peter (which require being Catholic). That's really nice. Now we only need to collect remaining 2 books before feudalising (Lost book on Architecture from our Far North Scriptorium event and "On Komi Architecture" that was eluding us thus far). Also Pope Nicolaus III "The Wise" will be suprised, as he no longer is the sole owner of that artifact in world :).
umAynKP.jpg

Event chain outcome was far better that I was wishing for. The best artifact we could use in this specific playthrough in just 3 (!) attempts.

By August even our vassals manage to succeed at something and concentrate 2.900 troops against 3.600 rebels giving them shot at (with help of river crossing) winning. That's nice change of pace. We have to chase off some nomadic predation in eastern Siberia with our retinues though.

By September Burtasy reach 1st level of prosperity, temple in Turgay is finished (we assign there 15 stewardship Bishop) followed by construction of Church Town and temple in Izborsk falls. Our Patriarch manages after many years to convert the heretics in Bilyar tribe to mainstream Orthodoxy (lowering amount of heretic provinces in realm to just 4). Then he is moved to Mordvin Bogomilist in Kerzhenets (14.99% yearly chance). Things are coming together nicely.

By October our vassals deal with Zikri uprising. Which further boost Orthodoxy to 56% of our beloved statistic in this game. This is workable + will persist longer than Heretic Rebel victories. Church walls are also finished so I decide to built Monastic schools in each of recently build Bishoprics. Our reductions are crazy as real cost varies between 60 to 62 gold coins per school :). Those buildings will help turbo-spread technology to different parts of empire. Forgot to build anything in temple within Osha tribe so now I have to make up for it.

At least I finally remember to slow down before 1st November, to try getting 2 Feasts during season. And we succesfully click that decision on exactly beginning of November. Burtasy tribe max their warcamps so 300 prestige is splurged on Weaponsmith III, while Osha focuses on getting Practise Range III. That leaves our character with just 144 prestige and 8.522 piety.
MmeXAGP.jpg

Finally we experience positive results of our efforts into upholding our branch of Christianity

Between last months of year we have a "situation'. Our detoriated by time raiding levies in Luki tribe, are on route of 10.000 strong khazarian army. Spotted too late to escape. I consolidate all forces into center and prey for Narrow Flank. Turns out only fraction of them fight us (1.700 Cheremisians). Thus we easily trounce them but still we are left with less than 4.000 troops here. My retinue force raiding Pontic steppe is recalled as they finished their mission. Probably will tag them in to take over sacking duty. Two weeks later our Patriarch Shyrpuzh informs us, he converted Kerzhenets already. Well that was fast. So fast in fact, that he has to remain there for at least 3 more months, as we can't recall him due to cooldown. Well that leaves 3 Bogomilist counties to convert.

That leaves us to feast and celebrate. Thanks to beginning it so early, we end event chain by 29th of December and thus can throw feast again (doubling our prosperity gain from this event alone). But that's a story for another part, as during this week I probably already hit some personal peak ;).

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Varaka isn't having a good time.

An Orthodox empire having the bones of Saint Peter amuses me. I'm surprised the Pope hasn't complained about it.

Also, what is going on in Western Europe? There's Italy-Bavaria (did that survive this update?) and a large Navarre. How did Navarre get so large?

Reactions:
An Orthodox empire having the bones of Saint Peter amuses me. I'm surprised the Pope hasn't complained about it.
He wouldn’t be simply complaining, he’d be beside himself trying to figure out how the bones that the Vatican is literally supposed to be built on top of (I mean that’s literally the whole freaking point of St. Peter’s Basilica) somehow managed to wind up almost a continent away.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Varaka isn't having a good time.

Also, what is going on in Western Europe? There's Italy-Bavaria (did that survive this update?) and a large Navarre. How did Navarre get so large?
Yes, Italy-Bavaria survived but without England. Navarre was a major european power for close to 100 years. They took advantage of fracturing France during many French-Dutch indepedence war (which ended in France victory giving it indepedence from Dutch overlords), and ate most of Aquitanne.
He wouldn’t be simply complaining, he’d be beside himself trying to figure out how the bones that the Vatican is literally supposed to be built on top of (I mean that’s literally the whole freaking point of St. Peter’s Basilica) somehow managed to wind up almost a continent away.
You are onto something. If we are to believe that original Saint Peter bones are still there, Pope might be nervous. Mostly due to county of Rome being in Greek hands for quite a long time, so he might suspect some deal between Byzantine and Permo-Siberian Empire took place. Especially as during last Crusade emperor Varaka suspiciously was present in Northern Italy on pretext of having to command his forces against Cathar heretics in Romagna and his troops were the only armies fighting during height of Black Plague. From that moment Pope started reinstablishing himself in duchy of Rome but still doesn't own his original seat of power. So he might not be certain that the relic is still there.

Or in words of my favourite polish fantasy set in medieval alternative history; 'If you were to put all chunks of holy cross in possesion of various nobles across Europe together, you would end not with one but three holy crosses. The same way you would found, that most saints had not 20 but 40 finger bones. Relic trading is truly booming' ;)
Thank you for updating. Is your religion's MA, the #1 factor in conversion speed? Does Iffy daughter (25Jan) mother have more children and what are their birthdates?
I would say so. Difference between converting at 0-20% (8x MTTH) MA and 80-100% MA (0.56x MTTH) is 16 times as fast. We have skilled Patriarch (22 Learning at which conversion speed maxes up) so it is mostly that. There are culture modifiers (0.75x same culture group, 0.75x same culture) and found out that there are also religion modifiers (0.5x same religion group, 1.5x heresy) but I'm not certain how they are compared. I was under impression that is is the Culture/Religion of Realm Priest that is compared to province, so Mordvin Patriarch would get bonus in Mordvin cultured provinces. Wiki page would suggest that converting heresies of other religion groups will be the toughest - might check it with Sunni (heresy of Zikri) Pechenegs provinces if I remember.

Empress Mazava of Permo-Siberia just have that 1 child (Slyugan'ka Permyakid). She is landed as Chief of Ural Tribe and is distant kin from our Permyakid dynasty.

Reactions:
Part XXXI (1017-1025)

jnF4QXD.jpg

Part XXXI (1017-1025)

Year 1017
======================

Another year to forget traumatic plague, that occured at the end of first millenium. Finally some last few lagging behind counties recovered from depopulation. We most likely are on last few years of Emperor Varaka reign (he is 66 years old). Our successor is more than ready to take over, so for now our objective is to tie few lose ends. As our court is still almost full I just need to invite single investor to take over Senechal office. Found 62 y.o. Anglo-saxon Cathar and member of hermetic society - Aelle, who is willing to joins us in Perm (together with his fortune of 1.600 gold coins). He might take over as Keeper of Tomes later, as he is more than capable enough for that role (16 learning). Our jewish steward is also replaced because due to stress he no longer can generate +500g extra and was failing at his task so far. Now Baboi of Mena (whom we personally tutored into our rival takes over) works for us instead. Ambitious fortune builder with 19 stewardship and jewish contacts. He is sent to Osha to settle tribes there, as we currently can passively convert Burtasy thanks to spreading Orthodoxy there in last part.

As we are preoccupied with feast preparations, our Raiders loot Slavic temple in Luki by mid January and then move onto Pskov. Our returning from pontic-steppe retinues are directed into eastern Vladimir to start third round of looting temples having misfortune being located there. I also realise that now our eastern neighbour on silkroad, fully replaced local Karluk Orthodox rulers with their own Buddhist Tocharians. So now it is a free real estate for our forces nearby.
MrrGzqK.jpg

Cool. Never seen that event. I have a suspicion it can end badly and continue our tradition of brutally dying. But heck - I will bite

At this point I'm ready to part with Possesed trait. Was hoping we might start hearing voice of Jesus, but at this point it won't really matter much. So we roll on that 40% chance and we exorcism ends in success. We replace previous trait with Zealous thus making us probably slightly more likeable across our vassals. When it comes to other religion characters we still have 'Harvest festival of faith' modifier granting us -30% penalty for different religion from Crusades.

By end of February all festivities are done. We still are on - 'no wars' ambition, so instead I decide to sent Emperor Varaka on pilgrimage. It might help our devotion gain now that I think about it. We have around half a year before we have to start thinking about another feasts. I'll skip summer fair though. Hmmmm. So maybe let's fire summer fair and then go? Ah dangit! We go now and avoid scenario in which we are stuck. Why change of opinion? Consulted tooltips and both summer fair and pilgrimage have the same requirement of being 'not occupied'. Have to spend a while deciding where to go, while Constantinopole is closer and safe it is kind of waste. Do our ruler pushes his luck and aims for Jerusalem? Probably. He already made it all the way to Rome during Crusade.
llt0boG.jpg

Probably last grand adventure of our wise ruler. After getting to know Constantinopole and Rome it is time for Jerusalem.

In march we buy another claim in Levant. Our chancellor (from whom we liftem excommunication) is then moved on other county located in different duchy belong to the same ruler. Thus we won't need to holy war him twice for 1 county each time. I also encounter troubles with raiding on our retinues in Vladimir. Did I somehow lost a battle and are thus on no raiding-timer? Probably due to some revolters winning? Not sure. Then our Permo-Siberian scholar goes on his travel. I'm not sure what events might even occur as our ruler is already Saint candidate.
fa2jpvL.jpg

Turns out most events are not beneficial to already Saint quality character. Seems it is better to start the reign with pilgrimage that end it with one.

Soon I find out. Many events that just offer either paying the cost or losing positive/getting negative traits. We proceed from those straight into meeting some holy orders riders. I don't think I have anything to worry about as we are recognised as one of Catholic Crusaders. Things proceed accordingly and soon our old ruler reaches Jerusalem. Our Genius Permyakid is quite happy with that travel.
yoFMgWt.jpg

Luckily the whole travel goes without any major hindrance. Our protegee is quite happy with his decision to visit Holy Land. Now Varaka can boast not only being Crusader but also Pilgrim.

After first spring month of 1017, our chinese scholar-bureacrat dies. Yuwen Zhenglun was 81 years and for around 35 years he was working on Permian infrastructure.. Not bad for one time transaction with Middle Kingdom. Few days later our Emperor comes back to his home, just in time to throw summer fair and share his stories about pilgrimage. The trait itself does increase our devotion gain but only by +1/month.

Our retinues find target finally, but rest of our initial levies take so much attrition that we are left with just 2.000 warriors in Pskov. Our Kezhay becomes father of his first child - daughter from concubine Styaka Permyakid. Good to see him starting prolonging our family line. We do get also another request for penance from monastic society, which we will happily perform, as summer fair just ended.

As our MA fluctuates around 55%, one of our vassals manages to convert one Germanic province to Orthodoxy (Gorodets). That reminds me to move our off-cooldown Patriarch onto another heretic province in Vetluga. Chance isn't bad - 20% per year. Our keeper of tomes dies, and our funds rise above 21.000 again. The vacant office is filled with Aelle and new senechal is procured.

Across summer we continue looting and after finishing Church town I in Turgay county, we proceed with Church walls I. Ransoms are arranged for any prisoner having any worth. Our spymaster steals 50 military techpoints from Thrace as well as increases prosperity in our capital.

Then on 6th of October we finish our prosperity ambition. Nice! That's another task accomplished. Having spotted some bigger Tibetan rebels (our neighbour is in civil war) I evacuate my eastern raiders for now to not engage those border patrols. At the same time our raiding expedition in Pskov get's slowly but constantly eaten by attrition and as of now there are only 980 men left after sacking the tribe.

We do keep progressing at penance and then we are offered another event with extremely tough choice to make.
ZosR4VT.jpg

We had dog, we trained dog for pernament +1 health and are currently at Theology which also grant's +1 health. Should I prolong this ruler reign?

I don't really know what to do. While old rulers are usually powerful, there isn't as much to do. As I see it by prolonging our life we get maybe 1-2 conversions from monastic societies more and probably can make some bigger initial push into holy lands. Well let's try it. Maybe being greedy won't be as terrible.

Because of ongoing prolonged seclusion we aren't able to throw a feast. Our raiders aren't able to raid Vladimir so we go back to repel some 500 nomads that arrived in Burtasy. Our son-in-law Miaphysite king of Daylam dies and now our Grandson rules there. Finally our most western raiding party attrition rapidly with winter specialist to 500 men. Not sure why. Osha tribe finishes Practise Range III but nothing is ordered next, as we are low on prestige. Our Retinues in Cumania are re-sent to raid Tengri holy site and Tibetan Empire rebels counties on silkroad.

Year 1018
======================

Year starts with celebrating marriage between our 28 years old son Kezhay and genius Kyra Kanakaris - daughter of Greek doge of Amalfi. It fulfills our heir ambition of getting married. Also our master of hunt dies, so we invite another Waldensian Lombard named Gundoald - 60 years old with 800 gold in his pockets. Emperor manages to finish his penance, while his trusty marshall adds another 6 points of prosperity to Kudymkar through event. To my suprise we once again are eligible to organise great tribal festival, so we do. There won't be too much prosperity for quite some time to come.

Levies were raised again (sadly only 9.000 troops) and started marching onto another raiding expedition. We also thanks to bonus devotion for mission, are able to instantly convert yet another county. I spent that power on Osha tribe to make it count for event conversion. Our MA went down a little to 53%, because some Transoxianian realm keeps losing holy wars :/.
oVZasMc.jpg

Haven't noticed that Bogomilist pop up in northern Nenetsian penninsula. Luckily it was already culture converted so it is less of an issue.

In April we chase off nomads and sent our cavalry retinue into Novgorod to continue raiding temples and check if we can outrun bad co-religionist ai decisions. Our monastic schools are done and we proceed with Church Towns II to maximize return on investment. That's 6 times 80g and we will have most likely to forget about building monastic schools outside of our core demense as technology is not there yet (Towns and Temples category).

Our tribal festival goes with Poetry contest this year and some courtier wins it. What I care is extra prosperity on top of being able to organise summer fair after. Some raiders from Mongolia itself arrive in eastern Siberia, but our local forces are busy raiding themself. They won't pose much threat as they are too few to overcome local tribes garrison. We keep raiding in the meantime.

I have difficult time deciding what to do with Southern Cumania border force (3.300 light infantry/archers). First I was wanting to use them to raid Tibetan empire but by the time they arrive there, we probably will be done. So I move them towards Burtasy tribe in southern Volga-Ural. We might use them somewhere in the west after all.

In autumn our spymaster steals 50 cultural tech points. Not bad. Then all of our counties beside capital (Kolva) and Kudymkar (which we target) level up their prosperity, reaching 1st rank Prospering. Meanwhile our capital reaches II rank (Flourishing) and in Kudymkar our quick-shrewd marshal fires special event for extra military points that also increases local prosperity by 6 points.
8j4wTOs.jpg

Most of our tribes accumulated exactly 100 prosperity points, capital reached 250. Third level needs 500 prosperity points though.

Our Raiders finish another Tibetan county, and move onto next one. Given that we stockpiled some prestige (almost 700) I start final level of Weaponsmith building in Burtasy. Should help with levy replenishment there. Feast as always proceeds throughout december.

Year 1019
======================

We keep low intensity raiding and just watch as various civil wars reck kingdom of Vladimir, thus making us unable to sack their occupied holdings. Meanwhile in Tibet locals mustered over 7.000 troops to oppose us and we are too late in making our exit. We consolidate forces into single flank under Direct leader and prepare for desperate defense.
ojXmSiG.jpg

Initial battle goes well. Seems like they did not cordinate well enough to oppose us as single army.

Fight goes really well as we completely beat first army before bigger force arrives. That's increases our chances of being able to keep raiding and maybe even going further into Tibetan empire. Then we repel other army despite things initially not look promising due to rolling 13% chance of generic skirmish (with only other tactic being Harass at 87%). Still thanks to weight of numbers we route 2/3 of enemies in skirmish and then trample last segment of Tibetan army in melee. We pay 400 lives for that victory but claimed 1.400 enemies. Together with first battle it is over 2.500 enemies killed.

Unexpectedly quickly we culture convert Burtasy tribe. That means my previous decision about spending our devotion on Osha tribe was well timed.
dG8MNvq.jpg

We keep spreading our culture. Nice to think that the game started with around 20 Komi provinces and currently we are making good progress even in Cumania, which was conquered less than 100 years ago.

In 2nd week of april first grandson of Emperor Varaka is born. Kudym-Osh Permyakid did not inherit Genius trait from either of his: Komi father or Norse mother. On topic of Norse - Germanic head of faith just called great holy war for Norway, targeting Cathar duke there. Both sides are too weak for me to care.

In may our new Patriarch Setyamka (the old one died some time ago due to old age) managed to convert heretics in Vetluga thus proceeds onto last Bogomilist county in the vicinity. He is still rocking that 20% yearly chance of converting province, as we are keeping our MA above 50% (with combined -90% between lost holy wars and heretic victorious rebelions). At least Byzantium won it's own holy war and now is fighting to wrestle Adrianopolis back from Serbian clutches (and winning). Sadly new Zikri realm emerged from Mecca and Medina and took most of Jerusalem and now is helping last few Zikri realms in Anatolia to repel Byzantine vassals offensive. The only good outcome from it is that both sides are getting rid of their own rebelion event troops.

In June we loot our 51st temple. Then our levies are finally sent on route for their next destination. Which sorry sod is it this time? Serbia! Which was just weakened by Byzantines. I will gladly see them fall, so Greeks might take more lands in Balkans. Also our infantry from southern Cumania trounces 1.000 Pecheneg raider contingent in Bolgharia as they pass by. Our emperor goes into meditation (theology event that gives diligent/temperate or gets rid of any vice on top of +100 piety) and passes 9.000 piety mark.
2SVnaoe.jpg

Thanks to previous Crusading experience we know the road into Bulgharian khaganate. Should be sweet! Mordva is excellent staging point to sent troops in Balkans.

Our Raiders go across Khazarian khanate and soon (due to my negligence) we receive news about defeat of our raiders inside Tibet. We encountered 11.000 locals with out 3.900 retinue and lost 3.200 of them. Well that's gonna sting prestige wise. Luckily no retinue unit was lost, so in time they will replenish.

On 1st of november we receive once again information about local population in Osha county accustoming to our culture. Well that goes well. Just as we received yet another donation mission from monastic society thus are able to convert another county. This time it will be Irghiz in southern Cumania we hold. So next culture conversion event will pop there. I also remember to start feast on that day. Week later our levies reach Serbia - one could say those are first Serbio-Siberian relations ;). We still have around 3.000 troops on route. After they arrive, I will divide and spread out to accelerate pace of raiding. Contrary to previous raiding target, here supplies should be fine even in winter.

Upon check up on our economic bishoprics, we start building Church Walls II (7 times= Perm + Irtysh). Osha and Irghiz counties will have to wait till they finish their current construction.

Byzantines conquer Adrianopolis and our reinforcements are almost there. During all that commotion down south, our cavalry retinues in Novgorod keep raiding and sadly even with Winter commander eating small attrition. On last day of year we organise 2nd feast!

Year 1020
======================

Next year in February, after feasting we finally reach 60% Orthodoxy moral authority with sacking the temple of Soltsy in Novgorod county. Then our Ecclesiarch dies and we don't have anyone as skilled anymore so one of Bishops with 17 learning takes over. That lowers our conversion chance to 17% per year. Also want to point out that our current devotion income is over 500/year so every 2 years we can make some province Orthodox via monastic powers.

In March as we keep watching our progress in siegeing 3 Serbian counties at the same time, we notice some enemy activity. Serbian empire finds itself under attack from independent greek duke from Hellas. He desires Thesaloniki. Not sure if he will get them as total levies of our current host is 11.000. But currently they are depleted to around 4.000. And greek duke is peasant rebel with 15.000 troops thanks to rebelion event troops within his rank :). So at least there is hope.

Tranquility is the best word to describe next few months as beside moving my raiders in Novgorod I don't have anything to do. Our spymaster does acquire 50 economic points, stolen from Thrace. Then our 70 years old ruler starts having heretic thoughts.
73xx2hS.jpg

Theology focus at it's finest. Good for generating some off-map religions back. But we don't want it. Taking it would force emperor Varaka out of Monastic society and pursuing heresy (as we have around 40% of orthodox provinces in whole world) would mess Byzantines up.

Upon giving up on such revolutions at old age, we get report from our marshal about another massive recruitment drive in Kudymkar tribe. I wish my steward had anything good to report. Months pass and in August we learn that our wife is once again pregnant. Oh for the love of Lord...

You know how do you realise your ruler is old? When this event pops up x]:
LGSJLES.jpg

Oh yea. Between it and Joan D'arc we haven't had one of these yet. I really like dedication of robbing few wealthy in our realm by hiding in some arctic shrubbery

Soon another step occurs but more worryingly Bogomilist heresy pops up on it's own in Kazakh duchy. We are somewhat unlucky as our MA isn't low - 53%. Yet we had more isolated heresies appearences than them spreading by adjecency. Well in a year time I can clean it up before it spreads.
niZeeQp.jpg

This actually works as Suomenusko religion gets extra archers from tribes and their Lodge special powers revolve around archery. If we were still pagan or in warrior lodge that is ;)

Event progresses further but there isn't much to say. This is really old event and while back in the day those characters were outstanding, due to Crusader Kings 2 feature creep - no longer are. This makes for nice story for our old Emperor, who recently returned from Pilgrimmage and is now seeing how well the realm was ruled during his absence. Or maybe was it due to legend about Permyakid immense wealth hoarded somewhere in their vaults? Who knows.
HJFjddH.jpg

Our Finno-Ugric smallfolk celebrities get married with our blessing. Who knows maybe later I'll even land them after another excommunication cleanup. While Robin does not make for good Marshal for our specific aims, he is more than enough to boost some local levies.

Year 1021
======================

Took a break before reassuming play session. Was contemplating my current course of action. Mostly whether should I retire my current ruler myself or just ride along. And if decided to continue playing, what should I aim for. One obvious benefit of continuing as Varaka 'the Scholar' is an ability to continue converting provinces in our realm at rapid pace. This does strenghten our realm by getting rid of huge chunk of constant revolt risk, as well as increases levies. Not that we are short on manpower (our call vassals to war is equivalent of nuke button). Yet it does eat on future potential. Still with grandson in place and probably not reaching final prosperity level in next 10-20 years, focusing on siring heir to heir might not be as important now. I doubt we will pass 80 years old, as even without negative health traits we should be rolling for death due to natural causes. So final decision is to keeping playing as Varaka. Now onto what to do. We are currently bogged down in Serbia, utilizing rare occasion of it vulnerable state to diminish one of our economic rivals. It is especially crucial as this realm is currently on road to fracture into 3 upon succession. Making them levy-less seems like a perfect way for Byzantines to re-conquer counties in Europe. Which means that both another administrative cleanup back home, as well as pressing claims for middle east probably won't be done. Well first can be postponed. Second did cost us 100 gold so far but it isn't tall order to get those 2 claims again and quickly too.
epAZUcZ.jpg

We are slowly finishing up yet another county. This will come in handy cause it is on the border. The more prestige we spent, the more gold we save (even if with our discounts it costs less)

On 21st of Janury Burtasy finish final level of Weaponsmith, granting us maximal levy replenishment rate. As we have culture converted county, we can finally start with culture specific building to add extra troops to the mix. During that our northern raiding group moved from Novgorod onto Belo-Ozero right on the border, targeting another temple - this time Suomenusko kind.
CdTdhxx.jpg

So far so good. Extra Grace for interaction is really nice. Not expecting any troubles in China for time being

After deciding what to do with another chinese refugee, feast ends and I investigate situation in Serbia. Some forces did amass, which makes me willing to trounce them to deplete local armies. If they are not present when we sack, they will retain those forces. Things soon complicate. Second son (sickly Kya Permyakid) is born to our ruler. We couldn't prove he is not from our celibate emperor. That's kind of complicates a lot. We do still manage to make our character known as 'Religious Philosopher' from Theology focus - upgrading our lifestyle modifier to +2 Learning. We can't progress further though.

On 4th of April guards from Middle Kingdom arrive to escort back the escapee. That earns us another 300 devotion, giving us enough for another Scholar-Bureaucrat. So, 30 years old Su Guangfu becomes part of our court. He is Midas Touched, Poet, Erudite but also Gregarious Hedonist. Let's hope he last as long as his predecessor. I also decide to construct additional temple in Tura (east off Osha county). It has 3 holding slots and maybe I can disqualife second son by grantic him Bishopric. That seems like the fastest way to resolve whole problem. Then as all bishoprics finished upgrading their church walls, we invest around 131 gold in 7 of them (Kolva, Pilva, Kudymkar, Udmurts, Tynea, Burtasy, Irtysh). Plan to max what we initially can on economic buildings there + monastic schools, letting vassals invest in rest of levy buidlings. Our levies in Irtysh also replenished from 600 to 2.200 men.

In Serbian lands I decide to move back and squash some 1200 strong retinue guarding 5 holding county. We easily beat them and kill 700 locals. I also realise that one of Byzantine vassals took another 2 county duchy from Serbians and Athenians are 80% on their way to retake Thesalonikki. Our bad luck continues though as Bogomilists pops up in Shish tribe... Again this is lower chance than spreading from adjecent province event. Argh. I just can't keep up and we are on 52 percent MA.

Burtasy tribe in last day of June finish their Warrior Gathering Ground I giving us exactly 1800 levies there- 1300 light infantry, 400 archers and 100 heavy infantry. So next upgrade of Heavy infantry it is.
mEexacs.jpg

Decided on this, as at least this is some progress into getting rid of non-Orthodox group religions and if it culture converts it will get rid of last Khanty province in game

I think for now I won't target heretics but focus on getting rid of non-Christians. Soon game helps me with my decision making by displaying this screen:
gQlmIvd.jpg

And thus comes to an end unexpectedly long reign.

After reigning for 39 consecutive years, emperor Varaka 'the Scholar' at the age of 71 passed away. What an exciting reign it was - he lived through fratricide among his brothers after his father sudden death, then spent most of his young life in prison, unexpectedly inherited throne after his 2 older brothers (emperor Irter and emperor Viryay) deaths, took part in victorius Crusade, survived Black Plague, started restoring Permo-Siberia from depopulation, kickstarted Bishopric economy and finally recovered Bones of Saint Peter to store in one of his many Architectural wonders. Most likely will become Saint, as he converted many provinces and worked tirelessly to uphold Orthodoxy.
49Xa0LO.jpg

First look on current ruler and few initial decisions regarding his strategy for now. We had him secured for quite some time, but now we once again have to worry about next in line, as Genius genes so far weren't secured.

Now onto usual succession business. We pick business for focus to upgrade our level 2 education 'Thrifty clerk' into something more and help with writing the book. Ambition will be to see realm prosper, as it works out nicely to be finished few years before another Crusade happens. We also put new emperor's intrigue value to good use in sorting out our (most likely bastard) brother Kya inheritance. Council is rebuilt and I notice that game bamboozled us by killing our Keeper of Tomes automatically... But transfering him before doing that into England meaning all of his funds escaped our grasp even though he had court office and was marked as important character. The same happens to our jewish spymaster, leaving us without one. Ehh. Then we send vassalization offers to 22 break away vassals. Chief of Kazakh won't accept as he is catholic. Will have to clean that up later. Our crown focus is moved to Kudymkar and we at once move our capital there. This will focus our prosperity gain there and I'm happy with capital being there until next century.

Chancellor was sent to start fabricating the claim on middle east, Steward Baboi of Mena to settle tribe in Irtysh, Patriarch remains on converting duty (for some reason we dropped 3 percent and now are under 50% MA) the same as Marshal who keeps training in Kudymkar. We pick decision to write a book at once. But we get bamboozled again. Can't pick writing about stewardship. Meaning we want to write again later... While praying for another long reign.

Game cheats me even more because week later it recalculated which characters to cull from court again and get informed again about Aelle death but also about Gundoald death in foreign coart. If I remember correctly both of them had quite a lot of gold... And then our Master Engineer Di Xinyue builds blast furnance in Irghiz AGAIN. Can you please target any other county pretty please?

By end of September most of realm is rejoined. Our raiders keep raiding and northern group moves from Suomi temple onto Novgorod capital again. Our concubine becomes pregnant but the father turns out to be one of our vassals. Then our Ecclesiarch is attacked by heretics in Illyinsk and suffers a wound. We do rejoin Community of Saint Basil. Also I realise something is missing. Where is my message about blessed passing away? Why did my ruler did not become blessed already while having all 7 virtues, 9k piety, Religious head and none of banning traits? Oh cmon game!

By November 2 attempts are made on our bastard brother Kya - second being succesful in act, but quickly caught by general public. Thus we became tribal kinslayer. Our old chanellor (chief of Bjarnia with 22 Diplomacy) is replaced and newcomer is sent to get claim on break away catholic county in Kazakh. Then Bogomilists rise up in Kazakhs duchy. With their current numbers (5.500) we need vassal help, as recovering retinue force in Irtysh numbers just 2.900 men. So we call our 88 vassals in.

In december unexpectedly quickly trade route event fires. We of course take it. We want to level up Kezhay stewardship education to level 3 in case of reaching maximum prosperity anywhere. Thus I'm not a cheapskate and buy regular ships instead of trying to save up. Profits from that event chain are secondary to modifiers we can acquire.

Year 1022
======================

DFuilev.jpg

Everything once again goes really smoothly. We get everything we wanted from possible rewards and thus can consider Business focus exhausted already.

One by one we breeze through trade expedition event chain steppes. This time we travel down to Egypt. Our MA also goes down to 44%. Because some really old temple looted timed out. Ehh - be patient. According to my calculations by 1027 most of negatives should time out and Orthodoxy should soar by around +50%.
UkxKjib.jpg

Took quite some time to world to recognize him. Half a year dammit. Still happy he got what he deserved.

After those good news, we keep manouvering our troops in southern Cumania to try and catch rebels while absorbing further vassal troops. If you wondered how are my retinues in Novgorod doing - they just keep sacking temple after temple. Southern Vladimir is still occupied by several different enemies and those temples are not sackable sadly. Might think about moving that huge retinune force to Bolgharia to go up to 4 raiding armies. Even with constant raiding we are currently at 46% I wish we had better Ecumenical Patriarch as current one even though has decent Diplomacy (Drunkard with 10-12 diplomacy) has issues when gathering piety and after 25+ years gathered only 300 (and it maxes at 1250 for MA bonuses). Still he currently makes for 11% of our MA.

Abruptly we receive defeat report in Serbia. Seems one of our armies got ganged up and lost 2/3 of it's men. The other is also in fight but it doesn't seems as bad.
2DbfMOU.jpg

Enemies unexpectedly for me attacked us. Will we get defeated in detail?

I stand corrected. Even with mountain bonuses we get smoked in melee by not outrageously bigger forces. Thus our raiding comes to sudden end and I evacuate last remnants of raiders to avoid further losses. Well that costed us half of our raiding expedition but we have around 5.000 men replenished in our demense, so we have more than enough to regain stability. Soon I see why. Serbia managed to marshall over 10.000 troops. But then as they try to catch last army they are too eager and attack us on mountain slopes with just 3.000 troops against our amassed into single flank 4.000 men, who just take revenge and slaughter them. But then 10.000 troops join and reverse the battle in melee. Well that's that folks. At least we ravaged northern half od Wallachian lands.

Our temple construction in Tura finishes and we assign there 18 stewardship Bishop. We also start building it up. Goddammit game. You got rid of our freshly purchased Scholar-Bureaucrat upon succession =.=. Why? I spot it because costs are significantly higher. But hey - at least Permo-Siberian Robin Hood commanded our forces to put rebels down.

In July our border raiders in Novgorod found another strange chest. We organize another summer fair as per tradition. First time it will help our top priority province though. Another child from our concubines for whom our character isn't a father and soon another concubine becomes pregnant. Just you wait chief of Mansia. Once peacetime is up I'm gonna exact lawful vengeance x]. Then at least our wife becomes pregnant.
kzsIhgM.jpg

We get rid of one heretic province but other slipped into heresy in the meantime >.> Whack a Bogomilist.

I curse bad luck, as Bogomilist despite our effort retain around 5 provinces in our realm. We won't be able to combat them effectively before 10 more years passes and we acquire the highest rank in Monastic society. I just pray other Orthodox realms or our vassal don't screw things up. We are currently looking at -96% MA between lost holy wars and Victorious Heretic rebelions. Permo-Siberian Patriarch is sent to single Nestorian county within our realm to rout out this religion completely.

By October our beaten raiders come back. After dismissing them we have 8.000 levies out of 12.000. Well that will put a wrench into our efforts of hitting temples. I spent 300 prestige on Warrior Gathering Ground in Burtasy and 100 on the same in Osha tribe. We were also asked to donate 100g for Monastic Society and we did. Easy devotion!

With November comes another feast. I also realise Irtysh isn't build up so Warcamp II is started. Then I watch as 2 of my commanders duel each other to death (one being scheming vassal we had for quite some time). But that isn't the end - my last retinue returning from Serbia gets ambushed in Khazarian khaganate and we lose 80% of our forces :). Wow what a year it was!

Year 1023
======================

After eating some of that "humble pie" and getting trashed I hope to turn Emperor Kezhay fortunes this year. January isn't bad - we get massive recruitment drive in Kudymkar. Not bad for start!

After securing return of our trashed retinues back to Burtasy tribe now I have plenty of time for less pressing issues. We can start with Technology. It was quite some time, that we looked there and our previous character had quite an income (+6 Economic technology points of income). So now I fill comfortable to spend it and start spreading it across lands. We pushed Construction 2 levels towards level 6, Castle Infrastructure 2 levels towards level 4 and Cities and Temples towards level 4. Then 2 level each into Majesty (moar piety and prestige), Tolerance (less opinion penalty due to different culture/religion + better emancipation laws) and Legalism (better taxation obligations). Then 3 levels into Infantry (reaching lvl 5), 2 levels into Skirmish Technique and Melee Technique, 3 levels into Siege Equipment. This way our mostly infantry armies will benefit a lot and we improve our chances at not rolling generic skirmish. Not having even 2nd level of Siege Equipment hurt a lot while raiding feudal realms.
YrZwMT5.jpg

Technology spread overview. Personal demense marked in light green - those are points from which we feed technology to the realm. Now with extra monastic schools it should go little faster.

Now we can boast beinga technological powerhouse with level of capital county - 24 military / 20 economic / 19 cultural. For comparison: England has around 12 in all categories, Paris has 14-15, Italy around 15, Constantinopole 16-21-19 and Baghdad 14-17-17.

In February we hold a Grand Tournament to check if it increases prosperity. While we wait to begin it, Kezhevat Permyakid is born - the second son of current Emperor. He did not inherit any traits sadly. As soon as our Warriors start the melee we get informed about construction of Uralic Walls finishing.
6OHLuFP.jpg

Not gonna lie I really like how they do look on Arctic background. Never did I ever built 2 wonders at the same time. We are making the plays folks!

Another funds are spent to progress with further upgrade. This will be mostly it (not counting features) when it comes for funding Great Works in this century. Which means that as long as we acquire 1 holding slot in Kudymkar (our current capital) by year 1073 we are ready to feudalise. In few months also Primal Taiga finishes it's 2nd stage. Leaving us with paying for just 1 Great Construction out of our pockets, which tremendously lowers the financial burden.

For some reason as tournament is ongoing, we can simultaneously throw a summer fair and we do. We soon acquire Gregarious trait (making it our 6th) from it. Soon tournament is finished and after clicking through ton of notification about wounded and dead, we discover that it does in fact increases prosperity in capital.

EYeu6VB.jpg

Wasn't sure if it gives extra prosperity but it sure does.

During summer another child is born to Permo-Siberian ruler. This time it is daughter! Nyayka Permyakid might come in handy for some alliance. Soon several notification about 'new prosperity treshold reached' arrive. Among them - our capital Kudymkar moves onto 2nd level.

In September first heretic victory penalty vanishes and our MA at once improves by 5% to 47%. Our infantry retinues managed to replenish up to 1.800 strong, and our northern raiders are still raiding. Vladimir is still occupied and it seems like end for them as even when 3 sons of current king inherit all of them are imprisoned. We throw another feast.

Sadly we lose Ambitious due to being over the trait limit :/. With that our Learning go down to 19. Not great. Both Irtysh and Burtasy finish their construction but building frenzy stops for now. I have something in mind for next year and need quite some prestige. Also finally our council stopped being angry at us and learned to tolerate our rule. Then on 10th od December we inherit small fortune from our Norse investor that finally died at 75 years old due to Cancer. We get monastic guardian event for ward increasing our oldest daughter Martial and Learning by +2. Then we throw another party day before year ends

Year 1024
======================

As our emperor keeps feasting with his vassal, our raiders move from Gdov to Pskov tribe. Our kin from Yugra High Chief Kezhay, finally comes out of age. I was eyeing him to make him our designated regent. With him in place we can embark on longer journey. Where to?
nN4xOKr.jpg

Last time (and only time to date) we had quite old ruler with not a lot of spare prestige. This time is different and I need to make up for game unjustly getting rid of my previously bought scholar-bureacrat

With that underway I have to give away single tribe in Nenetsia to some commander, as our regent can't even dream of matching our hyper high demense limit. Also spotted occasion to sack tengri holy site near southern Cumania border so I send our boys there.

With spring my terrible luck continues and Bogomilism spreads in Khantia east to Tara county. It is already culture converted so I don't pay it much mind. We reached exactly 50% MA recently so finger crossed this won't keep happening.
oB3oVck.jpg

Kind of funny that it happened during regency and worse stewardship value.

During our absence, greedy kin and regent keeps pocketing away funds from treasury. Also our raiders find another key to strange box but the result is middling - just 10 gold. Then as season keep getting warmer, our Marshall dies due to old age. I replace him with Robin (Hood) Tobolid, as he has 20 Martial, which ain't bad.

In July we finally meet chinese border patrol. We pay them and follow them. Then we keep paying attention to our raiders.

In August south of our eastern part of realm, our Irtysh retinues manage to sack barony of Syganak. Our MA still hurts (down to 38%), what cheers us up is this proclamation:
1r1qRx7.jpg

First Orthodox Saint and bloodline for our dynasty. I like the new nickname more. Bloodline kind of meh - would prefer one of monastic ones. Still it won't hurt if we plan to recapture Jerusalem.

Given some time I arrange some diplomatic marriages. First our oldest daughter - Styaka is bethrothed to current 29 year old and strong Basileos Porphyrios. Then daughter Nyayka is bethrothed to son&heir of Armenia - 13 years old Prince Trdat. Securing those alliances might come in handy later to have some support against islam. We also bethrot our son&heir Kudym-Osh to our niece from Shahdom of Daylam - Shahdokt Vosgi (our nephew is currently rulling there). Between those 3 realms we have 40.000 extra troops to help us in middle-east, should the opportunity arise.

For once we don't spam another feasts, as Emperor Kezhay is away.

Year 1025
======================

I keep waiting for events, as I bestow patient trait upon our 15 year old female ward (eating -2 to all stats for 4-5 years modifier). Then another kowtow event pops up;
bFfuYgW.jpg

Not great but still it is slightly better fertility thanks to opinion and extra prestige. I hope it mostly reflects well on us and pushes us toward higher kowtow modifier.

Book writing pop-up arrives and I take vomiting for raising it's quality. Won't use it anyway but maybe we can gift it to Chinese Emperor. At least I don't roll 1% chance of dying! Then I seek treatment and I get quite a scare in May!
YePh2pG.jpg

Well that would be totally not worth it to risk dying for book we don't even really want >.>

It vanishes in few days and my Court Physician grim diagnosis doesn't come true. Rest of summer is spent on repeating sacking of Novgorodian temples, yet our MA drops to 36%, as some temple sacked modifier time out first :<. I realise we finally acquired few prisoners and ransom 5 of them for 114 ducats. That's something. Then on 10th of July we advance to 2nd rank within Community of Saint Basil. Giving us once again powers of Celibacy at our wish. Also extra +1 learning put's us again at 20 (once we get rid of current "Out of Patience modifier"). Won't take the vows now, cause I still think we can do better that our current heir and acquire one with Genius trait. Then our Ecclesiarch pisses off locals in Ob county (eastern Siberia), resulting in mob chasing him out.
EYs3gBy.jpg

Forget winning those pennies. We want maximum grace income from our far eastern neighbour.

Upon reaching capital of China, we encounter some sport activity that we can either take part in for 65% chance of winning 25 gold / losing 10g, or ignore it for 50% chance at both patient and humble (we have 1st). I go with first option as it might improve our kowtow score. Then Orthodox icon event pops up, offering us extra +1 stewardship (Icon of Saint Peter). I gladly take it.

In November Ecumenical Patriach Methrophanes II dies and Orthodoxy tumbles down to 27% MA. The new Religious head Maximos II isn't great either as he has only slightly more diplomacy and the same difficulties in being pious =.=. Let's wait and see which focus will he choose.

December marks death of our 72 years old Sindhi investor. Then our new Ecumenical Patriarch chooses... Scheming. In such dissapointment the year ends. With Orthodoxy MA tumbling down despite our continous efforts.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's ironic that a saint was possessed, but it looks like he dealt with those demons. That'll be a fascinating episode for the inevitable hagiography.

Let's hope that grace with China proves useful.

Also, Robin Hood and co. are in the Arctic Tundra? I guess that fits the AAR's economic theme...

How will you attempt to stop Orthodoxy's MA from falling to ridiculously low heights? Or will you give up and bail on Orthodoxy in favor of a different religion?

• 1Like
Reactions: