• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm always amazed at how strange the world gets when the player is in a different continent to Europe start.

Reactions:
Peaceful usurp would be that he had acquired enough counties to form duchy and pushed button. The prior Emir had probably been evicted from the de jure area. I had Emir Octopus. He had eight ducal titles, but his entire realm was one county.

Reactions:
Part XXXV (1051-1058) New

K9b8Pku.jpg

Part XXXV (1051-1058)

Year 1051
======================

As per usual every play session starts with things done best in-between recorded parts. Meaning even more searching characters to become investors in our court as well as checking up on vassals and what kind of "up to no good" are they currently on. Found several new court officials (or should I say fortunes that I wish to inherit myself). In this place I want to spend a moment to pinpoint some change in this process lately. The more I played the more I realise that looking up only big numbers isn't that profitable. If I have to wait 50-60 years to inherit 2.000 gold then it is worse option than inviting 60-70 years old with 400-500 gold and waiting decade to inherit. Gave up on waiting more than a generation to inherit - too much hassle for too little gain. So with that in mind I found several candidates that I will probably use during this part to refill court quickly (instead of having to do a whole search again for single candidate).

qNmK5Tp.jpg

That tolerance tech really helps out to snatch some nice investors :). Still got some multi-generation investors - their fortunes might be worth it.

Beside that there were only 3 scheming vassals! One of them is no-issue because he was previously landed character generated from intrigue menu with Architect lifestyle. I was about to write that: "because of that he can't get Schemer lifestyle" but now I reminded myself that he still get schemer modifiers thus making him eligible to capture/kill characters in the same realm without whole plot mechanic. So I have to deal with them. That gives me something to use those 2 per year excommunications. Beside that I could use them on upgrading rulers in regards of chance for culture converting but from what I saw there aren't many such candidates (require the province to be of our religion and well as you probably noticed in last parts - we are struggling with that).

As time slowly ticks and my levies March to quash Vologdan rebelion, I thought something relatively clever. Our character once again is able to start writing another book. To remind anyone - previously we got scammed and game did not offer us option to write on Stewardship theme due to rng (and had great leader able to write on any of 5 topics while menu offers only 4 topics). But now we can try our quill again. You might think that this isn't smart given that Emperor turned 60 years old in February. And here I present you the crux of plan - it is not the point :). After starting it, in year or two we get some event that might affect the quality of book. Some of them include option to become sick (in this AAR we already had hell to experience because of it). So I pay for chance to die sooner. And that's for me is big-brain move :D.

Before advent of Spring more world news arrive. This time regarding realm that our raiders are currently looting - Pomorye. It got sponsored conversion straight from Byzantine Empire thus becoming fellow Orthodox. Well with that we do have to change targets if we are to continue working on that Moral Authority. At the moment we are up to 66%, which isn't bad. Especially as relatively not long ago we lost our established Ecumenical Patriarch and new owner of that Patriarchal seat needs time before he matches his predecessor contribution. It is also interesting transition as Pomorye just conquered previously owned Bohemian lands, that got sponsored baptism into Paulicianism and now many of those lands got turned via baptism mechanics back to Orthodoxy.

IYzM3Qx.jpg

First Norse Orthodox realm. Who knows maybe they will help us in raiding infidel temples

Time to get cheeky. Instead of leaving our new brothers in faith alone, we do move to target specifically those vassals that are of wrong religion to weaken them and maybe allow their overlord to stabilize and deal with them. Our vassals in meantime slowly siege out Vologdans. Just as our main force nears the active battle front, more raiding adventures enters our realm in south-eastern Cumania straight from Silkroad. We do have one of our border guards nearby so we move to fight them with 2:1 advantage in numbers. Never boring eh?

On topic of boring we are still in the middle of religious penance (Monastic Society stuff) and not sure if unlucky (or we exhausted possible events) but we only passively progress from time to time. No active gameplay revolving it was spotted since the beggining of that part. Our forces take over first rebel holding, as rebels take over tribe in Belo-Ozero. Meanwhile our welcoming comitee says "hi and goodbye" to nomads by hosting them Battle of Saur (we lose 400 men but kill 700 of them). Some colors change across our borders and I notice that mentioned previously Polish multi-kingdom of kingdom Galicia-Volhynia chomped on previously Vladimir lands in Tver. Not bad! They are on they way to create de jure Empire of Rus. Sadly they young (21 y.o) ruler was assasinated and now the whole realm is under regency for 1 y.o queen Eufrozyna.

Summer is spent on "helping" our Bohemian vikings, but it seems our assist is not apprecrieated and 2.700 host is sent against our most northern detachment. I have everything consolidated into single flank under Aggresive leader, that secures narrow flanks, then rolling Feint tactic (our best options) on top of hills and river-crossing penalty for enemy. During that massacre (of enemies) in Battle of Gorlitz suddenly our Gentle Emperor dies (stress). Huh seems my book machinations didn't even had time to come to fruition. Also kind of wasted some prestige and 1 monastic instant province conversion (was waiting till the end of penance to decide on which county). Well you lose some, you win some. In this regard our next character is 23 y.o thanks to that sudden change in leadership.

esZGo3x.jpg

While expected it still suprises as it is little sooner that I would like. Still not the worst situation to start picking things up from.

The only problematic consequence is that high chiefdom of Veliky-Ustug went to our younger brother and King of Nenetsia - Mosheq Permyakid. He instatly gave it to one of his High Chiefs, making him Great (double) High Chief. Retracting control of those de jure Perm lands will be tricky, as there isn't single way currently to get them back without incurring tyranny. There is hope in waiting - current Chieftess has 2 sons so it will split. But she is only 1 year older than our ruler. Well we will think about it later.

For now the usual administration managment comes first. Council is rebuild (without any losses), Business is picked for Character focus (we want it to improve our lousy stewardship education. We also join Society of Saint Basil again. This time (wiser for previous experiences) - I won't join Catholic Crusade as I want to finally sort out religious bogaloo that is taking place within empire. With quite long reign ahead of Setyamka I hope to be able to forcefully convert many counties and keep tabs on keeping Orthodox MA high to stabilize whole religion. Maybe even fellow Orthodox realms will become stronger thanks to it? One can hope. After Gorlitze our raiders are sent towards Pomorye Heretic revolt (Paulicians - cool to know that they don't have to be Pagans and it occurs with different religions too). I feel obliged to help them deal with that, after killing their armies in self-defence.

Then we arrange search for new Empress. Need her to sort out our over the demense limit problems (13/11). I find 48 y.o. chieftess from our lands that is quick and shrewd. She will do, as I don't want heirs yet (want to focus on it later during reign). Soon the marriage goes through and it alleviates our demense problems. It also pays for itself prestige wise.

By end of September we finish Vologda extraction, getting title of Vologda high chiefdom back. With that we can transfer vassalage under brother Mosheq for some visually pleasing border division. Sorted everything out with exception of him holding Veliky-Ustug :/. Utilizing brief period of piece I re-vassalize various over-the limit counts in Siberia that seceded. There was 9 of them. Eight of them will accept the offer at once. The last can't as our southern neighbouring khaganate tries to subjugate them. So we offer to join the war to defend our previous vassal. How about that Mr. AI :)?

Next few in-game weeks are somewhat intense. After re-integrating most of Syberia we rush to prevent our one county chief of Sarysu from losing due to losing 100% of his holdings, which the Nomads aim for. So we have to ignore some 450 nomads that arrived to loot south-western Cumania tribes to just make it in a nick of a time to attack their 1.000 native force besieging tribe, before 1.500 mercenaries join them. We are also moving our "by the Silkroad" army to start occupying nomadic capitals from east.

aT4UskA.jpeg

We risked it and seems we won't be winning this day. We are killing enemies too slow.

Sadly the fight is too slow and enemies get reinforced in melee with extra 1.500 mounted troops. Thus we lose. At least we get one of their capitals so maybe he won't force his war goals on our vassal? Sadly it turns not to be a case. So soon we will have to fight for our land again.

Year 1052
======================

As I wait for our forces to return within our borders before reconquering lost county, our raiders hit Pomorye religious uprisers. Brother vassal-king coming out of age is marked by some productive activities - he starts cleaning his own realm out of heretics by revoking some led astray chief. Given that we are still waiting for troops to come into position to pounce on southern Nomads let me tell you about one problem with current ruler. He has chest pains since chilhood that never got treated. Once I took over him I think it is because for some reason previous treatment got interrupted and is eternally stuck on "was recently treated" flag. So I can't click to get character treated and he doesn't have any positive treatment to offset -2 health from that symptom. Urgh! This reminds me a lot of Sarin II who was Genius but also developed cancer before we took over as him.

At least our religion authority holds high (74.4%). It translated into 33.76% yearly conversion chance of Komi Heretics, that our Permo-Siberian Patriarch is personally working on. Soon news aboud Sunni Jihad for Yemen arrives. Good luck with that as the Caliph that called it has only 5.000 troops and remaining Abbasid Caliph in single island of Socotra has 4.000. King Jayaraja "the Great" still has 33.9k men.

This time being able to call-in our vassals by end of April we declare war on nomads. We start trashing them, when another nuisance pops up closer to our heartland. You guessed it! Peasant rebelion!

xCfHTTj.jpeg

Luckily we have over 4.000 troops nearby to quickly get this baptism of fire in "crushing rebelions" sorted out.

For now we play catch and mouse with nomads, crushing their 1.000 detachment and avoiding their 1.500 detachment. As our Permian levies march to kill peasants, one of our raiding armies venture deeper into Germany, carefully targeting non-Catholic, non-Orthodox German realms. One of locals beats my army (didn't noticed it was event spawned army). We lose 1.400 of one army but it doesn't prove fatal to require returning whole detachment back home. After other 6.000 warriors in vicinity finish their sieges, we will punish them to avoid situation in which this Paulician ruler carves a huge realm for himself by eating everyone we weakened.

Given some downtime I can tell you on what imperial councillors are presently working. Already mentioned that our realm priest is converting heretics. Chancellor is in Veliky-Ustug hunting for that high chiefdom claim fabrication, Steward is settling tribe in our most eastern county of Irtysh and his other Jewish collegue is in Thrace to get some of that nice Greek Technology imported to our Empire :). That leaves only Marshal - I don't need arrest chance so I set him to train troops in Udmurts to accelerate prosperity gain there. If we finish developing holding slots and province modifiers in our current capital it will be nice to instantly pounce on another county.

mpV8Upx.jpeg

Rite of Passage at this point. At least as the first rebelion for this ruler it confers him his "-4% revolt risk" modifier for next 10 years.

After brief dance with ever unhappy peasants, we can focus full attention on eastern war. But it leaves us already in December. Our forces managed to concentrate into over 7.000 strong army that started occupying Sarysu. Our adversaries also consolidated their forces into 2.200 strong cavalry army. So soon we will fight each other. But before that business event pulse fires, giving us option to debase currency. Instead 100g is paid for +100 prestige as I don't really want both Deceitful and Greedy (would put Emperor Setyamka at 6 traits and probably slow down his progress in Monastic society). Soon I get rewarded for it anyway, as we get first level of Trader modifier.

yphLgld.jpeg

This usually takes the most time. I expect soon we will be presented option for embarking on trade expedition.

Year 1053
======================

In the western Europe, our raiders only partially manage to punish german event troops of previously mentioned one county succesful rebelion leader. They still lose around 100 men. Maybe was too greedy and should started fighting them sooner? Hmm. Well it is what it is. We now consolidate looters into 2 forces to tackle some better fortified castles. Orthodoxy reaches 80% MA that gives our Patriarch 45% yearly conversion chance. Not bad! Think over 81% it rises to highest modifier.

By end of January we take over disputed Sarysu tribe and move to defeat nomadic army for that sweet warscore. Retinues are split into center and left wings to minimize risk of being narrow-flanked into oblivion. Soon our Marshal reports massive recruitment drive in Udmurts, meaning +6 prosperity there. Before battle commences we get informed that Norwegian somewhat fully liberated Sweden converted to Paulicianism. Suprising how well they spread having hardly any realms for that mechanic.

eZbesUC.jpeg

Time for sweet revenge. We have to teach them to not even try snatching anything from us after post-succession fragmentation.

Sadly contrary to my expactations battle goes "not well" to put it lightly. Enemy gets narrow flank under their khagan, that turns out to be a military god (30 martial, Unyielding + Defender, meaning he can tank incoming damage for really long time). The battle goes on and on, as various vassals reinforce us but we just can't break their center in melee even after grinding them down to 900 men with our 6.000 men. Thus we are defeated in that meat grinder - losing 5.800 men for their 860. Seems Permo-Siberia will need to call in more numerous armies. Soon another 10.000 vassal warriors swamp our briefly victorious enemies and they take revenge for us. Probably this time enemies didn't get that narrow flank thus whole fight was piece of cake.

As our armies are on the run, we get informed that Balkhash county (in Kazakh high chiefdom) got converted to Orthodoxy by efforts of our vassal there. It was previously Tengri so it means we are down to just one more Tengri province within realm. As our forces start marching back we once again get informed about another foreign realm conversion - High Chiefdom of Lesser Poland becomes Orthodox. I'm not sure but maybe it's due to Orthodoxy currrently riding on 85% MA that all of that is occuring? On other hand Paulicianism has only 30% and also got spread in Sweden.

Our levies from Perm High Chiefdom did venture as punitive expedition to trounce Pechenegs (that decided to loot one of vassal tribes in south-western Cumania). We caught them and exacted justice. It leaves me with decisions. As we already have autumn do I press on into Khaganate? If I make it in time we will avoid winter attrition. Otherwise we will take extra losses. Decided to press on - onto one of neigbhouring nomadic capitals. Soon choice proofs correct. With it we reach 100% warscore and thus before November is over we enforce our demand, reuniting the empire of our forebearer. Great time to start "See the Realm prosper ambition".

But this isn't the last thing we can now focus on. We also can start writing book. And this time we get lucky and game offers us what we aim for!

yc4kfFN.jpeg

I'm still lacking book from Great Library so we still have something beside this, even if we finally manage to write what we need.

Year 1054
======================

We can't venture to China as it is invaded by Mongols. But some time ago we got mission to go onto Pilgrimmage. Buuut. Writing book is special occasion that while not listed prevents us from going. Gosh darnit. I didn't know. Should have first go on Pillgrimage then write the book. Well you learn every time you play. Instead I play with Permian raiders so we keep around +41% Infidel temples looted modifier. While we still have -51% from lost holy wars our current MA is 92%. The highest that I ever seen it. Which gives my Patriarch staggering 60% yearly chance of converting province :). Soon another vassals converts Bogomilist in Bashkiria to Orthodoxy. Keep it going!

Nevermind me. I'm stoopid. Forgot that one of our vassal invited us to carousing. We make friends with him and after whole celebration ended we can go onto Pilgrimage. After choosing our destination more news arrive that Miaphysite become majority religion and the same goes for Catharism that triumphed over Catholicism. Well. Great job Catholic cousins. It didn't even take me to not participate in next Crusade (scheduled to happen in 12 years time) for things to go upside-down. It seems they might not have the MA required for it anyway. Well not my problem. Especially as last crusading gains keep getting lost because for unknown reasons Pope losses against each French revolt that happens. Leading to even more fragmentation.

hreurI5.jpeg

Noticed only while editing but we can visit saint burial site of our previous Emperor - Varaka. We definetely will to check for any extra flavour :)

It is always funny that whenever regent takes over our demense limit goes down. Simply because there are few characters as great with Stewardship as my rulers. Emperor Setyamka has 25 stewardship and 18 learning with even somewhat botched education. Well onto pilgrimmage!

First event let us pick 30% chance for Wroth. No thank you. There are playthrough where I like it (+3 Martial ain't bad). It is especially great on Vikings cause it comes free with "Go Berserk" lodge power for some juicy rapid power up. Second event is better - we can get Kind for 10g. Easy pick - it will help in Monastic Society so the sooner we get it the better. As I also was managing something at the time I forgot to screenshot it. What was I so busy with you ask? Well things regarding Veliky-Ustug high chiefdom changed. Our 1 year older vassal under our vassal brother, died thus great high chiefdom split into 2. Now we can cleanly return to fold for some small penalty in breaching the feudal contract for few years. We recently gave Mosheq quite a lot of new lands so he will endure this. Rest of our vassals are only slightly upset (-5 for 5 years). With that we cleanly resolved that problematic result of latest succession.

cyCgveZ.jpeg

Got something beside Pilgrim trait thanks to lucky roll. Also that friend is a knight from holy order named Aymeric - he isn't the greatest warrior to write about though

After arriving in Antionch we get a really nice old event. 15% chance for extra Learning or Intrigue. And we do roll +1 Learning. Nice. Nostalgic how those older game events have really low % chance and how the powercreep advanced during Crusader Kings 2 lifecycle. But at least we got something from it :). On the topic which, we also got unwanted attention of Nomads. One neigbhour arrived in south-western Cumania that contains some of our personal demense to pillage. While it is fixable, bigger problems arrived from Silkroad. 2.700 strong adventurer host. I can't deal with them as my retinues are still recuperating from war against Dunrodid khaganate.

I muster some extra troops from Perm itself but it will take time. Meanwhile other retinues get into slugfest against another fan of Narrow Flanks on the steppe - costing us 300 troops for their 400. Thus another 4.800 men are marching to reinforce 2.000 near the silkroad. Pilgrimmage also comes to an end and we get enough devotion from monastic society to advance towards 2nd rank. Giving us another +1 learning, penalty to fertilty and options to become celibate (that I won't use for now). Before we get recognised we get issued another mission - easy one at that. Give some money into charity for easy +200 devotion total. Don't mind If I do. Also I reconsider because becoming Celibate doesn't cost monastic society currency but generates it monthly - we can always resign from it later. So that 24 extra devotion yearly from that trait for at least 15-20 years.

Sadly soon (at the end of October) after unavoidable sacking of Saur, Empress Ordava dies. Thus our Setyamka is a widower at the young age of 26. Putting him once again over the demense limit but only slightly. I find new wife candidate - 44 year old fresh widow to our imprisoned high chief of Kostroma (who recently visited our dungeons).

JEAXvBL.jpeg

Old wife with same education and nice stats overall.

Before end of year we reach 100% MA for Orthodoxy (more lost holy wars keep timing out) as our relief force arrives closer to adventurer marauders.

Year 1055
======================

As I prepare to tackle the nomadic problem in the east, some good news arrive from China: they fought off Mongol invasion!

With that after restoring order we can think about some diplomatic embassy to Middle-Kingdom. We still have 1.800 grace there. Sadly at the moment due to reinforcing our retinues we are relatively short on prestige (345 and going down). Still we can prepare some great gifts.

7pTUg0w.jpeg

Gifts alongside our congratulations to Emperor of Middle Kingdom in the east. Happy to see our good diplomatic relationship flourish further.

I'm sad that I could not send our 23 years old aunt that has cancer, because she would give us double what we got from other family member in Grace currency. Why? Because she is ill. And to be honest - cancer isn't probably going anywhere from her character screen. Also I have to double back as adventurers escaped back into Tibet, and some nomads arrived in the western part of our realm, from where we just moved their border patrol away.

By July our Marshal reports another +6 prosperity in Udmurts. My raiders finish looting last few "one county realms" on the border of Austrasia kingdom. That seems to exploit current situation and expands itself into weakened by us realms. Well can't have everything :/. Maybe I will hit them to balance things out?

Some nomads arrive in Mordva (southern Volga-Bolgharia). It takes time to muster troops to deal with them but we make sure that 400 out of 1.300 remains locally as fertilizer. Mordva tribe in which we fought converted during crisis to Orthodoxy thus getting rid of last Tengri province in the realm. Thus strenghtening local garrison (by getting rid of -25% modifier).

Before end of year I remind myself that I have now time to de-age my ruler. Now that everything kind of calmed down. So we visit our Primal Royal Taiga and drink the fresh water, succesfully becoming 2 years younger :). This will be quite a reign!

HbmcFfq.jpeg

Time for some Siberian SPA to relax. Daily routine is a key when it comes to self-grooming!

Year 1056
======================

As we finally recovered enough retinues to have a positive prestige income, I think we can embark on travel to China. The sooner - the more Grace we will accumulate passively throughout Setyamka's reign. But I can't yet as I need to be over 1.000 prestige. Urghhh :(! So we can't get into negative prestige this way. Well for now we fill vacant advisor office on the council with young King Mosheq. I hope Emperor younger brother feels apprecieated. It is nice that he stayed under Imperial rule - we can still grow his realm to help us further down the line with regards to Orthodoxy.

As we happily started year with looting, finally our Jewish spymaster sends us notification about stealing 50 cultural technology points. Nice to see someone other than Marshal performing well. I have high hopes for our 21 Learning Patriarch. Have to decide what to do with our Chancellor, now that we don't need that claim on Veliky Ustug. Hmm. Khazars just subjugated some Muslims in Anatolia - maybe I help Greek brothers in faith by expending briefly into Anatolia?

It is also good moment to construct some features in Urallic Walls. I start with Watchtower Network (+10% Levies). We need 2 features, if in 20 some odd years we want "the town is born" event to pop up. By February we get the nickname - "the Gentle" again. Well it seems we are on "Gentle" Emperors roll. Didn't expect it due to having relatively not much prestige and not having fullfilled "See the Realm Prosper" ambition yet.

Another group of Nomads arrive in Syrt (Bolgharia high chiefdom). So we once again raise up Permian levies to march there and deal with them. Meanwhile our 9.000 retinues on the German-French border continues looting. Having nothing better to do I check on our 4 "Great" conquerors. Ethiopan warlord is winning against Jihad targetting him despite Egypt joining with their 27.000 troops. Polish king of Ireland has a pause due to truce timers. As has King Ubbe the Liberator of Denmark. On other hand Cathar Andalusian has died and his heir is under regency. All of them have most of troops mentioned in previous report. Byzantines fight Venetians for embargo reasons, but on the flipside - Serbia that converted to Catholicism due to it becoming heresy is valid target for Orthodox holy wars :).

By April our Patriarch dies and is replaced by newly generated character Shindyay with 22 Learning (who also becomes our Court Physician). I was hoping that this would enable us to get treatment but nope! At least new Patriarch rocks 63% yearly chance for conversion so you know... Anytime you are ready!

As I keep micromanaging raiding, spring turns into the summer. Then we get event regarding our book writing. I can get some sickness to raise quality. Given our level 2 stewardship education - I want it. But we can't treat it. Is there a chance that this will cure Setyamka of chest pains? Or will it just kill him? Well... This isn't coward AAR xD. Let's yolo this!

kKO6ygv.jpeg

Let's check if I can fix my savefile by in-game actions. Maybe it will re-trigger some check. At least it provided us with something to offset health penalty.

We get "cough" symptom and for brief moment we get notified about being able to seek treatment. But it vanishes! So something was stuck and bugged out in game itself. Maybe I should pause while playing on slow speed? Doesn't matter as our Court Physician finally treats us, granting us +2 Health (that just offsets chest pains). So my risky decision at least might help me in the long run. Who would thought? Then we develop headache and doctor doesn't treats that symptom seperately. Now I'm curious if all symptoms will combine into single sickness. If so then it probably might be worse because of those chest pains? But on other hand we might get rid of them for good. Question is - do Setyamka survives this x]? Our Jewish Spymaster steals another 50 military tech points as I await.

"Seek the Treatment" button finally unlocks. Our doctor thinks it is a Flu. If so then we are really lucky. But it still doesn't manifest as sickness we just get worse +health treatment modifier. Then in October another mission from Society of Saint Basil arrives. They want us to pick Theology focus. Another dilemma. If those symptoms evolve into something other than Flu we might need Theology to cure it (it also provides extra health). So I think I will accept it. We still haven't had trade expedition event from Business so I don't swap focus yet. I can swap later as we should have enough devotion gain without fulfilling this mision to need just await time requirement on ranking up.

Then in November we finally are certain it is a flu. But it doesn't remove chest pains! Nooo! Will it vanish together with sickness? I doubt it x].

XAEiaB9.jpeg

Ok now I don't know what is going on anymore cause we get 2nd diagnosis from court physician. Shouldn't happen.

But this isn't the end. Moment later my Physician informs us that we are developing consumption. Whaaaat? Now Setyamka is double sick? Never had this in my time in CK2. You ok game? While waiting for further information whether game bugged out even more or not I remind myself that after few years of raiding we might have some prisoners to ransom. And we do. In December we arrange to ransom 8 characters for 180 gold. Not bad!

Year 1057
======================

New year starts annoyingly. One of our vassals declared holy war on fragmented realm under Western Protectorate in Mongolia. If he wins, we have to start adjusting borders. If he losses we get -3% MA for another 20 years. Could swear that anytime that "lost holy wars" penalty goes down (currently at -30% from -54%...) the AI thinks - "Wouldn't it be great if I mess it up again?. Well situation will be monitored. At least our last Suomenusko province in High Chiefdom of Zyriane gets converted.

Then our sickness saga continues. By February Flu goes away. As does modifier for treating minor symptoms. Yet we can't seek treatment again. I checked and previous modifier should time-out by the end of 1058. So let's wait if we can treat it then. Unless, as mentioned before we develop second sickness. Currently can't click that decision anyway (so we are back at the start...)

As nothing happens, our steward finally proves himself useful. He offers us what we expected - to embark on trade expedition. Of course we take him on that offer and start financing according to previous research on that subject.

uHSdxKB.jpeg

While we got first lifestyle modifier quick, we had to wait a while for this event chain to pop up.

Accidentally I clicked through inviting our Priests but I took them for +17g. Setyamka has close to 20 diplomacy which is more than enough to explain their bad behaviour later. Before we embark on adventure game presents us another minting event for upgrading trader modifier. I take it cause it is cheap and there is always potential for failure thus even longer time of waiting before we can start specific lifestyle event chain. Better safe than sorry. And yes you heard me right - we won't dip out as usual. I want Setyamka to become Gardener, while fixing his Education first. We have more than enough Learning anyway.

Few days later game decides our destination - Khagan Karadakh of Yabghu that recently seperated from Khazars near Crimea. He already kind of likes us. I think I still will pay little more to max his positive relations. This way I can later take Zealous trait during another step in this event chain. As I won't be changing religion during this character reign I don't have to avoid Zealous. It can also prove quite useful while on Theology focus (makes seclusion events twice as likely). Sadly even though we pick 50% chance for Zealous we don't roll it.

KXRxA5C.jpeg

Sadly no education upgrade - meaning no extra 10% bonus MTTH on Prosperity Events :/ It was the most important - rest while nice is more of a bonus.

Unlucky we didn't manage to improve our education focus. Which means we probably will want to risk it on Rulership focus. Which can improve it alongside giving us Ambitious, Diligent (already we have) and Just. On the flipside we got some extra prestige puting us at 890 which is closer to 1.000 we need for travel to China.

By October county of Qazan get's converted back from heresy to Orthodoxy. That put's Bogomilist count below two digit number. We are also year away from reaching 3rd rank in Community of Saint Basil and our Setyamka isn't even 30 years old yet! Using this moment I think that I will showcase religion ledger and religious map of whole world instead of just our Permo-Siberian empire.

MkAzHUx.jpeg

Overview of how various religions fared at halfpoint of this AAR. Sadly seems like it is another one of those were Christianity will be rather weak.

As you can see, Orthodoxy is on top size-wise mostly by virtue of our efforts. Also local ruler in Thrace arrested our spymaster. So time to find replacement as he won't accept ransom. Last moment our Patriarch also convert Bogomilists from Annuy. So now we don't risk last Karluk province getting distracted from trying to convert culture. Our Patriarch then is sent to do the same in Qarazhyra tribe. Also before new year - Reformed Germanic Fylkir announces great holy war for Kingdom of Suomi. Problem being he has exactly 0 troops and no one joins him at start!

Year 1058
======================

We keep looting thus securing our religion MA remains high. Our eastern vassals succesfully conquered single county in Altay - let's wait for it to secede. At least they did not damage our authority. Byzantines also started contributing by holy warring for duchy of Tao in Caucasus. Well that's something. The more they blob (especially eastwards) the better.

By March another of our vassals converts county of Magnitaya to Orthodoxy. If you wondered - it was the single Sunni province on other side of Ural. Month later another interesting things happen - one of mainstay old events turns out to have way more options that I suspected. Troubadour arrives and thanks to our virtues we have extra options - we can get +1 Learning for being Temperate, while Kind offers +1 Intrigue. Permamently to base stats! That's really great.

dIFyY0L.jpeg

I like how this game still suprises me. Had no idea this event has so many traits that can affect it!

Meanwhile previously problematic nomadic band returns from silkroad. But twice as big (4.600 men). Well time to marshall our troops yet I suspect we won't make it in time. Kill them we must. As for our raiders I start slowly moving them south-east towards Byzantines. Want to longterm help them by weakening whoever their border.

Nomads sack Saur again as bulk of our military is just about crossing Ural mountains. Well lets hope we manage to catch them before they vanish again. By July our Patriarch converts another province and we reach enough Devotion to rank up in Monastic Society. Now we need 2.000 devotion to reach last level, before we can fully commit towards mass converting the realm. Depending on how much to convert there is left. Remeber - we have almost all of our lands under single county rulers, meaning every single one of them has their own realm Priest that tries to convert. It can really speed things up as we still rock that maximum religion MA. What is less nice is getting "Stressed" from business focus. It was unavoidable yet it is concerning because together with Chest Pains it presents -3 Health. Rulership in the future can add also depressed which will give -4 health total. That's quite a lot... Will have to reconsider.

Qarazhyra tribe becomes Orthodox again, so our Patriarch moves onto Sarysu. Would want him onto Saur but it is currently besieged and don't want to risk losing him by enemies getting him through chance. Sarysu tribe for which we already fought during this part is interesting example of how much having the same culture helps in religious converting - it is also Bogomilist province but with Pechenegs instead of Komi. Thus our conversion chance goes down from 63% to 35.5% yearly.

Soon our half-sister Ruzava that we married off into Anglo-Saxon biggest realm, starts organizing invasion for title of Permo-Siberia. That 'not very nice'! We can't plot to kill her (outside of diplomatic range) so we will have to endure yet another attack. If you wondered my realm can at the moment muster up to 80.000 warriors (34.000 own levies and retinues + 46.000 from vassal levies), meaning our landless half-sister will probably have similar limit. What's worse it can be of better quality composition, as we mostly have Light Infantry, Archers, Heavy Infantry and only some amount of Light Cavalry. Well last such attack occured 150 years ago, when we had happy times trying to freeze off Finnish Vikings. There is always chance something happens to her on her own in 2 years preparation stage.

Meanwhile our looters entered big Tengri kingdom of Croatia in force. I keep hawkishly watch over them to consolidate them to tackle local 7.000 army that they can muster. Meanwhile Patriach Shindyay is on fire as by 22 of October he converts population of Saryssu. It's so fast that we can't recall him for 3 more months. The wonders of high religious authority :).

By November we get into huge fight with Croatians. Turns out they were undercounted as they easily can pull up to 10.000 troops into battle. We choose our defensive position wisely in hills of Potten, helping us secure narrow flank. Still the fight starts with us outnumbered 3:1 as our reinforcments are on their way. We aren't losing but if we don't inflict damage in skirmish it will be nasty.

BVSE4u0.jpeg

AI did some gamer moves. Did not expect to be played like this by Croatians. Also not expected so many Croatians - where do they came from?

Unlucky we get intercepted with our last 3.000 army by some token force thus we fight skirmish with just 6.300 troops. Because of that we barely lose overall, as our center routes the moment they roll Feint while opposing center barely keeps fighting. By the time last contingent arrives, the battle is lost. Thus we lose over 3.000 troops in 2 battles and lose ability to raid Croatia. Well I was little to full of myself and I didn't expect them to have 50% more troops + preventing us from merging by sacrificing some small armies. Well played on AI part.

On the plus side we do finish our ambition of seeing realm prosper, so the peace time is over! Wife of Setyamka tells him he is eating too much and we have to start doing something to avoid taking another hit to health. That gives him Malnourished (-5% Fertility). And on that thin note we will end this part!

• 1Love
Reactions:
It's nice that China beat back the Mongols. Is the Mongol Empire on the map, though? Do you need to worry about a Mongol invasion?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sadly seems like it is another one of those were Christianity will be rather weak.

Christianity is very weak in the final version of CK2. Unless the player has a strong, large Catholic or orthodox empire, it will collapse into heresies so easily that it will never recover. Best you can hope for then is regional heresies becoming embedded, which tends to happen in more stable places like the british Isles.

Reactions: