Inspired by another thread - what would you witness?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh! That's actually a good one.

Now that I think about it, I would like to be in Jerusalem on friday, April 3rd of the year 33 AD. Just to see if it's really all it was made out to be. :)

Yes I'd be curious too. Even better would be if you got dropped off not knowing the time or location. I wonder if I'd find him recognizable, or even likeable.

Interesting direction for this thread.

This actually reminds me of a short scifi story I read many years ago: time travel is invented in the USSR, and a graduate student conceives a project to prove the Bible wrong for the greater glory of communism. Travels back in time, only to find out that indeed there is no Jesus. However because of circumstance he becomes the person told about in the Bible by performing "miracles": a bottle of vodka for the road = turns water into wine; clumsily falls off a boat and his impermeable plastic cloak inflates around him like the skirt of a hovercraft= walks on water, etc. Eventually he is crucified, and his body disappears under the eyes of his followers when the time machine's automatic recovery timer switches on. :)

So much for butterflies.

You can watch what you like, he can watch what he wants to. Is that so hard to understand?

It's hard to witness something that didn't happen. Regardless of that, is there even a fixed and confirmed date according to religious texts of the exact day Jesus was supposed to have resurrected?

Now that I think about it, I would want to see the Native American civilizations of North America at the point of contact with Europeans, and see the astonishment from both parties towards the other. Of course, from there, it just gets ugly... so I would leave by then.

It's hard to witness something that didn't happen. Regardless of that, is there even a fixed and confirmed date according to religious texts of the exact day Jesus was supposed to have resurrected?

If you believe it did not happen, then don't make the trip. For the rest of us who either believe or are curious, it would be time well spent.

If you believe it did not happen, then don't make the trip. For the rest of us who either believe or are curious, it would be time well spent.

Again, is there even a specific day for his resurrection?

Who cares?

You are already there, just hang around a bit, soak up the ambiance, and take in the local color.

It's not like you are in a hurry.

I thought the fact that I'm asking would imply that I care.

Well, you aim to arrive a couple months or years early. Just know your greek.
Didn't they speak jewish then?I thought Judea had a little bit independence until 77AD like it was a vassal of rome or something

Didn't they speak jewish then?I thought Judea had a little bit independence until 77AD like it was a vassal of rome or something

I believe it is Aramaic, though I could be mistaken.

Firstly, [nitpick]if you can't interact with anything, there is no way for your eyes to absorb the light for you to see anything, or for your ears to absorb sound waves. No smell or taste either.[/nitpick] :p
Secondly, can we move the religious discussion to the OT? It has very little to do with history.

That said, I'd like to go back and see what some of the Viking age kings were like, Harald Bluetooth, Svein Forkbeard or someone like that.

The Paris Commune of 1871.

I believe it is Aramaic, though I could be mistaken.
They at the time were part of the Roman Empire (if only added recently), and most people there spoke Greek in addition to Hebrew and Aramaic--the region had been subject to Alexander and his Successor states for centuries previously, and there was IIRC a sizeable group of philhellenes amongst the Hebrews, as well as a sizeable number of Greek people who were really into Judaism living in the region. Plus, it is pretty close to Greece by sea (only a week or two by ship).

Fall of the Berlin wall.

Boring. Besides I think it's on youtube.

Yeah, realised that as I posted it. Then again, it's one thing to see footage, another to actually be there.