• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Methodius I
Part Eight 1524-1525
~In which the Protestants hiccup~

However, before Poland could try to break the relative stalemate in the north that March, events turned sour for the Catholics in the south. Slovak agents sparked a peasant's revolt in Hungary. The Hungarian army split in two, with half keeping the Slovaks busy and the other half on their way to killing the peasants. However, they only got halfway to the revolt before 24,000 French troops slammed into them annihilating almost 3000 men. The fighting continued for quite some time. A combination of Slovak, Austrian, Byzantine and French troops finally put Hungary under and peace was struck on June 20, 1524. Hungary gave independence to the Duchy of Wallachia and gave France, Slovakia, Austria and the Byzantine Empire 50,000 Ducats each.

To the great suprise and dismay of the Slovak nation, and the fury of King Methodius, most of the French Army returned home after Hungary capitulated. Only 8,000 remained in the East. However, the Byzantines and Bulgarians had arrived in the north so the numbers remained only slightly less than status quo. In July and August battles raged across Silesia with no clear winner. In September, two tragic events occurred. First, Slovakia lost the Battle of Karpacz which allowed Poland a free hand in northern Silesia. Second, the Austrians totally collapsed facing a final push from Brandenburg and Pommeranian forces. These two events led to the great retreat by Protestant forces. In sweeping fashion, the Brando-Pollack-Pommeranian forces pushed down through Bohemia, taking Prague and Plzen along the way, and arriving at the gates of Vienna on November 15.

De_aftocht_van_de_Duitsers_-_Retrea.jpg

The Slovak garrison fleeing Prague, 1525

The siege lasted one month, and the defenders were on the verge of collapse, when a reconstituted rescue army arrived. The great Siege of Vienna would turn hot, in the middle of December. The 26,000 Catholic troops were lead by Count Stefko and King Joachim I. The 24,000 Protestant troops were lead by Grigory, Duke of Silesia and Odet de Foix, Vicomte de Lautrec. Of the 24,000 for the Protestant cause were Slovaks, French, Byzantines, Austrians, and Bulgarians. A true multinational coalition, with units fighting side by side from as far away as Calais and Constantinople. The battle itself last almost a month, with heavy fighting every day. Finally, after 9,000 Protestant losses (including Odet de Foix) and 12,000 Catholic losses, the Siege of Vienna was broken on January 13, 1525. It is speculated that if the Protestants had not arrived when they did, Vienna would have fallen before Christmas.

Siege_of_Vienna_1529_by_Pieter_Snay.jpg

The Slovaks were happy to relieve the Pommeranians of their guns after the siege.

The rest of winter saw the Catholic retreat back into Bohemia and then back into Poland. In early March the Protestant coalition took Plzen back, though they lost a strategic ally. The Byzantines (and thus the Bulgarians) were suffering from internal strife with rebels covering almost all of Attica. They bowed out of the war for a small sum of ducats paid to them by the Polish. However, plans for the 'Methodist' offensive were not totally shelved. In April, Austria and Slovakia, together with the remaining 5,000 French, attacked Prague winning a strong victory over the Poles stationed there. Among the dead in battle was Count Stefko himself. The papist cause in Slovakia was dead along with him. Protestants in today's Slovakia celebrate the day of his death, April 26, as a holiday. The siege of Prague took much longer than expected, even with the new canons the Slovaks had forged in 1520. As of October the city still had not fallen, though good news came. The Swedes had assembled a modest army and began the land invasion of the entirely undefended Pommeranian coast. When the armies settled into winter quarters at the beginning of December, both Prague and Danzig had fallen.

Meanwhile, other events were going on that would shape the outcome of the war. The Austrians, making their third attempt at invading Brandenburg, failed miserably that August and only just prevented another dash to Vienna. In Slovakia proper, September marked the beginning of a massive peasant revolt, some say caused by Polish agents (though more likely the incessant high taxes and war taxes), around the capitol Bratislava. Slovak troops relocated from the Tatras, Austrians and German mercenaries put down the revolt that November. However, the entire country teetered on the brink of open revolt and Methodius had few options to stop it.

War exhaustion...haha.

But at least the pretender is dead!

War exhaustion...haha.

But at least the pretender is dead!

Yeah :p Haha yeah woot! :)

Bloody Slovaks and their cannon-stealing ways. :D

Slovakia must be relieved of Silesia. The the Slovak-Polish war will stop and everyone will be finally happy. Well Poland needs to create it's own church. Then everyone will be happy.

:rofl: Haha still clamoring for Silesia are we? Well since the state of affiars is relatively dire for the Protestant cause, that is not totally out of the question.

Damn rebels and war exhaustion. Its gonna be a tough aftermath.

Great update

Yeah... Unlike other wars this one is draining a lot out of Slovakia. If we loose, it could spell devastation. If we win, it might not be a lot better than devastation haha :eek:

Go Methodist Slovakia! Boo Catholics! Go Byzantines!

And furthermore, Polonia delenda est.

:rofl: It seems you know where your loyalties lie! Well, too bad the Byzantine Empire couldn't stick it out but I couldn't really blame them. They had (IIRC) over 20,000 rebels throughout their empire at the time... That's almost more than the Byzantine Army!!! :eek:

EDIT: Post 3,500! Woot! :D

Among the dead in battle was Count Stefko himself.
Protestants in today's Slovakia celebrate the day of his death, April 26, as a holiday.

:(
Those protestants... What's wrong with them?

Well... I guess it's back to square one, then. I might consider supporting the Protestant Slovakia once Methodius is dead.

:(
Those protestants... What's wrong with them?

Well... I guess it's back to square one, then. I might consider supporting the Protestant Slovakia once Methodius is dead.

Haha I'm sorry but your hero died :p

Well Methodius is 35, unmarried and without issue as of December 1525. So, his succession looks to be interesting at least... :eek:

Ah! But I have spoken too much already! :eek::eek:

Haha I'm sorry but your hero died :p

Well Methodius is 35, unmarried and without issue as of December 1525. So, his succession looks to be interesting at least... :eek:

Ah! But I have spoken too much already! :eek::eek:

Ah, well... As the Havamal says

Sheep die, kinsmen die
You too shall die
I know of one thing which never dies
The judgement of each death man

Stefko will be remembered, even if it is as that lame old guy whose death we celebrate in April!

Taking the opposite angle from Vesimir right now....

Hahaha, now the Poles know what is like to have their cannons stolen! Justice is finally served! :D
Oh the cruel, cruel irony.:p

Great help you got from your allies. One of the things that improved greatly with In Nomine. Better make peace quick now, before your whole country goes revolting!

Ah, well... As the Havamal says

Sheep die, kinsmen die
You too shall die
I know of one thing which never dies
The judgement of each death man

Stefko will be remembered, even if it is as that lame old guy whose death we celebrate in April!

Haha mark your calendar! :)

Taking the opposite angle from Vesimir right now....

Hahaha, now the Poles know what is like to have their cannons stolen! Justice is finally served! :D
Oh the cruel, cruel irony.:p

:rofl: Couldn't agree more!!!

What has the Slovak army been doing?
Sitting? :p
Attack Poland!

We've been trying to recapture the rest of Bohemia after the Brandenburgians and Poles took it on that mad dash to Vienna. After we get that territory back, and if the revolting calms down a bit, Poland will be within our crosshairs for sure...

Great help you got from your allies. One of the things that improved greatly with In Nomine. Better make peace quick now, before your whole country goes revolting!

YES! I couldn't agree more!!! :) Yeah, that might be a good idea :eek:

It is strange. In my games there tends to be very few major revolts DURING the biggest and longest wars but huge revolts immediately afterwards. I have more than once been defeated by endless armies of revolting peasants, heritics and general mischevious fools :eek:o.

It is strange. In my games there tends to be very few major revolts DURING the biggest and longest wars but huge revolts immediately afterwards. I have more than once been defeated by endless armies of revolting peasants, heritics and general mischevious fools :eek:o.

Hmmm.... Perhaps it is because I have made peace twice within the war (with Bavaria and Hungary)? Well all I know is that in late 1525, for some reason or another, my peasants got mad about something hahaha! :D

Methodius I
Part Nine 1525-1528
~In which promises are made~

On December 1st, another great revolt broke out in Western Slovakia. This time, the troops were prepared for it and swiftly crushed the revolt. However, instead of killing all the leaders of the revolt, Methodius had them brought to the palace. Methodius told them that to win the war, all troops would be needed to fight. If they couldn't, things could turn out very badly for not only the Slovak nobility but for the peasants and burghers as well. Methodius, according to possibly apocryphal legend, asked the peasants what could be done to have their unswerving loyalty until the end of the war.

What happened next remains the subject of violent debate in the academic community. As we academics mourn the passing of Prof. Milorad Dzuretsko last spring who died trying to find the truth, we shall count him the last casualty of this devastating war. Modern supporters of the King and divine rights maintained that the peasants asked for a strong cut back on taxes once the war ended. Supporters of the modern parliamentary system strongly believe that Methodius had promised the peasants some form of representative body so their ideas and grievances could be heard. In this historian's opinion, it is more likely that Methodius craftily worded his statements to promise a tax reduction while hinting at representation in the future while actually not committing to it. Whatever was said at that meeting was never written down, though the number and intensity of revolts declined rapidly within a few months.

Louis_prince_de_Cond.jpg

Methodius I at about the age of 33.

Due to the quelling of revolt, Slovak troops were able to mobilize for a surprise attack into Brandenburgian territory in February of 1526. The battle of the Elbe, fought just south of where modern Berlin sits today, fought on the ice in February 1526 was the most devastating loss for the Catholics in the whole war, with a 10:1 death ratio and thousands of lives lost. It also marked the first major outright victory for the Protestants since the capitulation of Hungary the previous June. Shortly after the Battle of the Elbe, at the thaw in March, Sweden began again the march on Pommerania. Leaving their quarters in Danzig, they marched across the coast taking town after town and city after city. A few small hiccups delayed their progress though by the end of October Pommerania surrendered to Sweden, giving up their portion of Finland and the trading centre of Danzig to the Swdes.

Brandenburg, after the Battle of the Elbe, was no longer a major factor in the war and though the sieges took some time Brandenburg accepted a modest ducats-for-peace exchange in September of 1526. However, a blow to the Protestants was also dealt when France and Austria dropped out of the war in the winter of 1526-1527. Austria, on verge of collapse, had good reasons to. France simply tired of the war and went home, which left a bad taste in the mouths of some Slovaks. As of the late thaw in April 1527, there were two left in the war. Poland and Slovakia stared at each other from across an ever changing border. It would be the final phase of the greatest and most devastating religious conflict since the crusades.

On April 9, the first blow was struck by Poland when an army crossed the Oder and took a Slovak army by surprise, defeating them before reinforcements could arrive. With the city of Wroclaw hotly contested, this battle meant much as it allowed Poland to surround the bulk of the Slovak army. Seeing the probability of deafest was high, the Slovak commander, the famous and infamous Grigory, Duke of Silesia. The good Duke promptly retreated to the banks of the Bóbr and waited until the Polish arrived. To battle with one's back to a river is near suicide according to most military theory. Grigory used the river twofold. First, to make sure that the Poles would have a hard time sneaking up and attacking on his very vulnerable rear. And second, to provide a simple message to his troops. "Victory; or die at the hands of Poles or in a cold river." His troops got the message. The Battle of the Bóbr marked a major Slovak victory and spelled the beginning of the end for the Polish cause.

5770387.jpg

Modern shot of the battle location. The trees would have been cleared for farming at the time, and the town of Jelenia Gora in the background would have been only a few smoking fires in 1527.

Marching away from the Bóbr, Duke Grigory attacked and destroyed several other small Polish armies. The Poles attempted to contain this invasion force by sending most of their army to attack him. What they did not realize was his band of men, now down to 5,600, was purely diversionary. In the East, a great force of 14,200 strong lead by Methodius's brother-in-law Martin, Count of Trnava charged into the South of Poland. In six to seven months, with little to no opposition, they had taken a large swath of southern Poland. From Odessa to Krakow and north to Lithuanian border. By the time serious Polish opposition arrived, there remained no hope. A fruitless wintertime attack on Krakow by the Poles led to the final defeat of the war for them. Eight days later Warsaw fell and the treaty ending the war was signed March 6th, 1528.

The war had began with both sides roughly equal in troops strength, the Protestants topping 145,000 and the Catholics 135,000. At the end of those five devastating years, 160,000 men lay dead or dismembered with countless civilian deaths due to the famines and ravaging armies. In total, it is estimated that 400,000 died directly or indirectly from this war. And what was won? A break up of the powerful Catholic alliance, domination of Central Europe for the Slovak Kingdom, and some money (and a province or two) exchanged hands. A great and bloody war fought for little gain other than bragging rights. It should come as a surprise to few that, despite the artfully worded promises of Methodius, that the revolts began again in Spring 1528.

Dying to find out the truth - sounds all National Treasure-y to me.

"Or die in this cold river" - excellent motivational speech.

400,000? Not bad! And I bet you didn't even count the civillians!

Goodness.:eek:

Good update, glad to see you win the war (while sad to see Catholics losing; it should be noted.)

Now go! Quell those upstart peasants!:D

The region can't have been that greatly inhabited during that time, but we are talking of a large region of course, so maybe with civilians added, 1 million casualties? Still nothing like the Thirty Year's War, that erased approximately 1/3 of the German population as I've heard. Top that, democratcikid! ;)

Anyway, great update. Nice to see Sweden all united and roughly historical again.