• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ernst II, the Good
Lived: 1522-1574
Head of House of Habsburg: 1550-1574
Holy Roman Emperor: 1550-1574
Archduke of Austria: 1550-1574
King of Bohemia: 1550-1574
King of Mexico: 1553-1574
Duke of Lombardy, Thuringia and Brunswick: 1550-1574

austria.jpg

Ernst II grew up in the court of Luther, surrounded and educated by fanatical Lutherans, he would be the first Emperor to be crowned in a Protestant ceremony. Upon his succession although the Habsburg realm was largely Lutheran it was still going through a chaotic time and was sorely divided with Catholic, Nationalist and Parliamentary groups all aiming to undermine the Emperor’s authority. But Ernst managed to solidify his nation under his control, in no small part thanks to the vast treasures that flooded across the Atlantic into Imperial coffers.

20040819165445Emperor_Maximilian_I.png

The first few years of Ernst’s reign saw the collapse of the long, unstable and bloody Rule of the Saints. After Luther’s death in 1548 the Lutheran ecclesiastical government had gone into chaos as numerous successors vied for the power once held by the troublesome priest. The government was only held together thanks to the failure of Emperor Franz to capitalise on his opportunity to reclaim power. Ernst was a much more forceful character and within weeks of his ascension to supreme power he started to dismantle Luther’s Parliamentary legacy. In the last years of the Protestant rule an Austrian Parliament had been set up, this was quickly dismantled, meanwhile over the course of 1550-1552 Ernst reclaimed the courts, the army, the treasury and all other fields of government. Despite his Lutheran teachings Ernst also adapted what was effectively the Church of the Habsburg realm (Lutheranism was only widespread within Austria). Ernst placed himself at the head of the Church, by tieing control of the Church with the Habsburg Monarchy Ernst effectively ensured the Church’s loyalty to the Monarchy. By 1552 Lutheran’s Jerusalem was dismantled, all that remained of his dream of an ecclesiastical Empire was the faith of its inhabitants.

800px-OrteliusWorldMap1570.jpg

But Ernst’s rule is most remembered as the time when Austria went global. Austria had held colonies in Africa since the 15th Century and during the reign of Luther and Franz private individuals had started to setup colonies across the Atlantic but it wasn’t until the reign of Ernst that the Habsburg government through its weight into the endeavour.

map13.gif

Ever since their foundation at the end of the 15th Century the Austrian African Duchies had been making many Austrian merchants obscenely wealthy as the slave trade brought them massive fortunes. During the 1510s and 1520s the main source of demand for Austria’s slaves shifted from Castile’s Caribbean colonies to the vast, newly founded, colony of Brazil. This turned the problem of piracy (which in the Caribbean had been merely a nuisance thanks to the Castilian fleet) into a major issue. In an attempt to lessen the problem the Austrian West India Trading Company established bases on the South Atlantic islands of St Helena and Fernando Po in 1526. These bases were in turn used by company and government ships to protect the vital slave trading routes. The increased contact with the Castilians in South America led to stories being filtered through to the Germans that there lied a wealthy land somewhere to the South of Brazil. These stories of a land of milk and honey led Friedrich Kolin, the disenfranchised 2nd son of the Duke of Niger and a descendent of the legendary Kolin brothers, to set off on an expedition to find the land. In 1533 discovered the fertile estuary of the Silber Fluss (an area that the Spanish would come to call the Rio de La Plata). Two years later Friedrich Kolin returned to the Silber Fluss with several hundred Austrians (fleeing the wars in their homeland) and established a series of small hamlets around the mighty river. Within a few years the population of the Silber Fluss colony had skyrocketed and Friedrich (now Duke of the Silber Fluss) decided to offer migrants free land on the fertile plain of the Pampas. This led to a steady westward push of the colony from the Silber Fluss itself. In 1555 the territorial expansion of the German immigrants became too much for the local population to accept and several thousand local tribesmen moved to force the Europeans back into the sea. Quickly the Pampas was overrun and the natives even managed to attack some of the towns along the Silber Fluss. In exchange for having his lands officially annexed by the Habsburg state Friedrich received military aid and the natives were quickly defeat, forced to recognise Austrian rule over a wide area (the last territories of which were not settled until 1563). Friedrich and his family were allowed to remain the Dukes of the Silber Fluss but unlike in the West African colonies the state was the main power rather than locally based merchant-nobility.

734px-Gama_route_1_svg.png

During the 15th Century Europe’s ancient trade routes with China and India came under threat. The violent end of the Pax Mongolia coupled with the rise of the Aydin Turkish Empire (which captured Constantinople in 1510) strangled overland trade at a time when the demand for Asian goods was rising. It was for these reasons that the Castilians had first crossed the Atlantic in search of India and it was these reasons that Vasco da Gama had sailed around Africa on his way to India. Ever since that fateful voyage at the very end of the 15th Century trade around the Cape of Good Hope had exploded. Iberian merchants travelled around Africa to India in their hundreds, it was clearly only a matter of time before a trading station was setup at the Cape itself.

Charles_Bell_-_Jan_van_Riebeeck_se_.jpg

This was done in 1556 by an Austro-Dutch coalition. A large of Dutch merchants and settlers had travelled to the Cape, using Austrian ships. Once at the Cape they were allowed to setup their colony (Cape Town) on the condition that they pay taxation to the Habsburg crown, recognise their status as a part of the Habsburg Empire and swear loyalty to their overlords in Vienna. In exchange for this they were given funds to help construct a harbour, military protection from natives, jealous European and pirates. The people of the Cape Colony, who would latter call themselves Afrikaners, were made of a strange mix of Dutch, German and Bantu cultures.

european-explorers-6.jpg

At the outset of his reign Ernst knew the one thing he needed to succeed – gold. During the 1540s the Spanish had conquered the Yucatan Peninsula from a series of powerful local City-States (many of the Mayan Cities dwarfed those of Europe). Since then Castile had been a flush with gold. However news had quickly spread to the main trading partner of the Spanish – Austria – that there existed an even wealthier native nation to the West – the Aztec Empire. At a time when he was still vying for power with the Lutheran government Ernst went against the advice of his political rivals and funded an expedition to Mesoamerica. Hermann Kersting, the Emperor’s most capable General, was given 2,000 foot soldiers, 1,000 horsemen and a battalion of cannon and tasked with conquering the mythical Aztec Empire. Kersting arrived in the Spanish Yucatan in March 1551 and quickly crossed the Castilian colony’s Western border. After only a few months Kersting had destroyed several local tribes and established a strong foothold in Mexico. Thus Kersting was very surprised when the Aztec Emperor Montezuma offered him congratulations and gold for his actions. Kersting had actually been fighting the greatest enemies of the Aztecs – the Zapotec and Montezuma believed that Kersting would help bring stability to the region. As a means of establishing diplomatic relations with the new arrivals Montezuma invited Kersting and his men to his capital at Tenochtitlan.

azteccity.jpg

Tenochtitlan was incredible, centred on a magnificent pyramid the city dwarfed anything seen in Europe in both size and splendour. Yet Kersting’s awe soon turned to anguish after he witness the human sacrifice of dozens of captured Zapotecs, in a ceremony done in his honour. Kersting left the Aztec capital convinced that he was faced with an evil Empire. In early 1552 he invaded the Aztec Empire. At first the Aztecs were confused – believing Kersting to be an ally, even a vassal. But quickly their confusion was dispelled after Kersting destroyed a series of Aztec controlled cities.

object95_t_725.jpg

At the Battle of Otumba Kersting’s men along with many thousands of local allies (eager to throw off the yoke of Aztec rule) crushed the Aztec Imperial army and captured Emperor Montezuma. Kersting then used Montezuma to gain access to the Aztec capital which he subsequently had burned to the ground. Without their Emperor or great city the Aztec state quickly went into collapse and Kersting help provoke a succession dispute by executing Montezuma. By then end of 1553 Austria had firmly established itself as the ruler of Mexico. As a symbol of his triumph Ernst had himself crowned King of Mexico (he rejected the proposal of being named an Emperor to avoid devaluing his Roman Imperial title). The Kingdom of Mexico was the first European style Kingdom to be created in the New World.

576px-Cortes_in_Veracruz.jpg

Kersting’s work in Mexico did not finish with his conquest. For decades to come he and many other Austrians would bleed Mexico dry as they spread the Lutheran faith, introduced epidemics like smallpox, worked the people to death and extracted gold on an ungodly scale.

Untitled40.jpg

Following the conquest of the Kingdom of Mexico Austria decided to look into breaking the Castilian monopoly in the Caribbean. Unlike the Castilians who had focussed on the large islands of Cuba and Hispaniola (along with mainland territories) Austria established its colonies on smaller, more manageable, islands in the Lesser Antilles and Jamaica. In these new Caribbean Colonies Austrian settlers were able to grow high value luxury goods such as sugar, tobacco and coffee. The new colonies also broke the monopoly the Spanish had previously held over these goods.

map14.gif

During the early 1570s Ernst invested heavily in the establishment of a convoy system that would protect the transportation of valuable goods from Mexico and the Caribbean back to Austria and would protect the Slave trade between Africa and the New World.

map15.gif

By the end of the reign of Ernst II the Habsburg realm had established a vast Empire overseas. Only Castile was more powerful beyond Europe’s shores and only France was more powerful within Europe itself.

Noticed this AAR after reading your post on mine. I apologize, I didn't see an active AAR for Austria when I started mine. I'll probably change the way I narrate mine as we seem to have taken a similar structure. Great read thus far though! =)

Austria as a colonizer? Haven't seen that before. Great work, I liked the way you recreated Cortez's adventures in your story. :)

Since I plan to start a battle for European domination with Catholic powers like France, the Papacy and Castile around the 17th Century I actually made an entirely new nation - New Germany. Here is its flag:

flag.jpg

It has all the Austrian leader names, ship names, slightly edited fleet names (adriatic flotte is changed to Atlantic flotte) and slightly changed army names (army von ungarn to army von Silber Fluss).

Anyway this country is only a worst case scenario, if the shit hits the fan in Europe.

Just name army of Hungary Armee von Neuen Ungarn?
Armee von Neu-Schlesien?
Armee von Südanden, Armee von Neu X... etc :D

Vizeregent is viceroy, Vizekönig maybe also? :confused:

Ernst II of Austria = Phillip II of Spain IRL? Better watch out a it didn't turn out that well with Phillip's empire in the end...

Quick Question!

Tommorow I intend to start playing deep into the 17th Century. However I think I've got three possible paths:

Do I attempt to establish some sort of German Raj in India (much of India is united under that country starting with a V)?

Do I engage Le Blob in Europe and attempt to cut the French down to size and in doing so likely face the wrath of the Catholic World :wacko: ?

Or do I attempt to do both with limited resources?

I reckon I'll need a significant army to make an impact in India (probably around 10k men). This would be expensive, time consuming and difficult. However if I attack the French and am doubtful that I could win. :eek:

ps update tommorow - the religious wars begin. ;)

German Raj, but only take rich parts. India has huge opportunity for wealth and manpower, and their tech is worse. Europe offers land to be taken, but with strong opponents who will doggedly hound you to give it back. I say go for India; much better option.

I must say that I find a French invasion to be a fascinating idea. On the other hand, I can see it being long, bloody, and resulting in economic ruin even should you win strategically. I would suggest India as a more feasible venture at this time.

The Two are not mutually exclusive. An invasion of India could be used as a way to gather strength to fight in Europe. It all hinges on whether you believe you can win in France. Le Blob does need to be taken down before it gets to powerful yes, but are they still on the warpath or are they currently at peace and do not look to be expanding anytime soon? You can most definitely take down India. If you are the Emperor, that means that France may give you an excuse for war so if an opportunity presents itself take it. You do not need to match France unit for unit, you can take them if you fight smart and chip away at them a little bit at a time. Take as many provinces as you can as fast as you can to use as a safety net. If you can keep France retaking their own provinces, they cannot take yours. I defeated an HRE France with that method as Mecklenburg. I had an army of equal numbers of Infantry and Cavalry. Use smaller armies to take the provinces and then condense them if you see a doomstack coming but think you can take it. Also, try to make an alliance with someone who can distract France and draw away some of their armies if you can. I beat them in two wars and then Le Blob turned into a paper tiger.

Ferdinand I
Lived: 1541-1585
Head of House of Habsburg: 1574-1585
Holy Roman Emperor: 1574-1585
Archduke of Austria: 1574-1585
King of Bohemia and Mexico: 1574-1585
Duke of Lombardy and Thuringia: 1574-1585

austria.jpg

Ferdinand’s reign saw, for the first time in two Centuries, Habsburg power decline in Europe. This was partly due to the ending of the Personal Union between Brunswick and Austria but also due to the 3 Years War which ushered in the period of Religious Wars. By 1580 most of Europe’s major powers, with the exception of France, had managed to establish some sort of religious uniformity and as such attempted to spread their faith throughout the Continent. Austria was the only first rate Protestant power, leaving it all alone against a sea of Catholic anger.

Untitled43.jpg

Less than a year into his reign as Habsburg Emperor Ferdinand quickly looked to use the national Church, which he was the head of, to his advantage. First he decreased the Church’s secular power by declaring its property to be a property of the state and by extension the Habsburg Monarch. Then he increased its religious authority by passing anti-blasphemy laws. Through these pieces of legislation Ferdinand was able to increase his control over the Church, removing it as a threat to the Monarchy, whilst increasing its power over Austria’s people and in doing so enhance his own grip over his populace. It was a clever move and helped the Habsburg Monarchy on its road to abolitionist brilliance.

map16.gif

Just as Ferdinand had started to settle into his new position he was faced with a major problem in the Caribbean. In the years 1577 and 1578 the Papacy made a large scale play for a Caribbean Empire by establishing colonies on 5 Isles of the Lesser Antilles (an area previously under Habsburg influence). This forced Ferdinand to step up his funding for the Caribbean Empire and led to the establishment of colonies of St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago between 1578 and 1579. Quickly relations with the Pope became strained after Austria’s merchants refused to sell slaves to the Papal colonies, therefore preventing them from flourishing. As a means of making up for the loss the Papacy attacked the Kingdom of Benin in 1579 and by the end of the year had established a powerful slaving post that bordered the Austrian Duchy of Niger.

Urban3355.jpg

Agitation between the two powers quickly started to snowball and the wily old Pope Urban VII moved with impressive pace to form a Catholic League, encircling the Habsburg Empire. The Papacy had held a small port to the South of Morocco for decades before the 1570s but this had in truth only been a base for Italian merchants who wished to participate in Atlantic trade. Never before had the Papacy attempted to compete with Austria, Castile and England (the English were focussed in North America) for New World processions. But it was not the founding of Papal colonies in the Lesser Antilles that caused the real problems but rather the breaking of the Austrian monopoly on the West African Slave trade. By the start of 1580 dozens of privateers were ravaging the Pope’s ports around Benin, the main aim of Urban VII in arranging for war was not to sweep away the Reformation as Catholic rhetoric would claim but to simply force the Austrians to leave the Papacy to become a colonial power in peace.

map17.gif

War finally broke out on March 19th 1580 after an Italian merchant was killed by Austrians whilst sailing up the Niger River. Following this act the Pope declared war and called upon his loyal German and Iberian allies. With 3 of the 4 European colonial powers at war the 3 Years War became the first global conflict as battle commenced from the Pampas to the Sudeten Mountains.

6a00e54efdd2b38834010535ebc17f970c-.jpg

Just as any great King would have Ferdinand assembled the army and led his forces across neutral Modena and into Papal Italy. The wealthy city of Florence quickly fell and Ferdinand’s army plundered its loot. Then on May 23rd General Sebastian di Medici, the greatest of the Pope’s Generals, marched North to meet the Lutheran Emperor. After the Medici issued the Popes demands to Ferdinand the Emperor infamously replied ‘’If you stay here you shall all be killed. I shall burn your cities, destroy your idols and sow the fields with salt. None shall stand before me, I am the Emperor, God’s anointed and your master’’. The following day Ferdinand met the Medici in the field with an army twice the size its Italian counterpart, more modern and equipped with more cannons. That is why the Emperor’s defeat is so incredible. Ferdinand entered Tuscany with 6,000 cavalry, 20,000 men and 4 battalions of cannon. He fled back into Lombardy with only a few thousand cavalry men. In total Sebastian di Medici had wiped out 1/3 of the entire Habsburg army, including all forces on every continent within Europe nearly ½ of the army was gone. It was one of the most crushing defeats in the family’s history but the Emperor was not done.

bhc0286.jpg

Disaster on land was quickly followed by catastrophe on sea. In the Adriatic the Habsburg Mediterranean Fleet (the third largest single fleet in the Mediterranean) was completely annihilated by a mixed Castilian-Papal fleet around the Straits of Messina. The small stations of warships around Silber Fluss, West Africa and the Cape were then destroyed. Only in the Caribbean did any Habsburg vessels survive the initial Catholic onslaught at sea.

It was at this stage that Austria reached its low ebb in the Conflict as the Bavarian army ran amok through the Austrian core lands (taking Salzburg and burning the Steiermark). However a much more serious threat was Sebastian di Medici’s counter invasion into Lombardy. At first his army seemed too numerous the face but eventually, after gathering several thousand Swiss and Croat mercenaries, Emperor Ferdinand moved to face his enemy at Brescia.

130307-050-C377EA9E.jpg

Just as he had been humbled in Tuscany Ferdinand crushed his enemy in his own lands. At the start of the battle the more limited Habsburg missile troops had exchanged volleys with their Papish counterparts before directly charging into a melee. Despite a narrow Papal numerical advantage Ferdinand’s mercenaries more than held their own. Just as the battle was perched on even terms Ferdinand himself donned his stead and led out the Austrian nobility into a charge. The cavalry had been the only unit to survive the debacle in Tuscany and proved invaluable in Lombardy as the force of Ferdinand’s cavalry broke the Medici’s army. Despite his record of success Sebastian di Medici was never forgiven by the Pope and was sent away into virtual exile to command the Papal armies in the Bight of Benin. With Sebastian di Medici gone, despite their superior numbers, the Papal armies would never again pose a serious threat of overwhelming Lombardy, even after Castilian reinforcements started to arrive. However Catholic armies would continue to ravage the region even if they never threatened to fully establish themselves in it.

Brescia marked the turning point in the war; soon afterwards the Papal colony of Santana (which lay between Silber Fluss and Brazil) was burned to the ground. Soon after that the Austrian Caribbean Fleet captured the island of St Martin from the Pope. Sadly this was quickly followed by the sinking of the same fleet. In May 1581 Brandenburg signed Peace (even though its rulers were Catholic a narrow majority of Brandenburgers were Lutheran and had received funding from Vienna to rise up – the Religious Civil War in Brandenburg continued to rage even if the government pulled out of its conflict with Austria). The threat of defeat in Europe was ended in August 1581 when the rampaging Bavarians (who had even attacked the suburbs of Vienna itself) were bought off in exchange for the formerly Bavarian province of Schwaben alongside a small tribute. The end of the Bavarian threat allowed Austria to quickly conclude the war in Germany. First the Palatinate was forced to pay a tribute after its army was defeated in Wurttemberg, then in February 1582 the Duchy of Baden was turned into a Habsburg vassal and a new, Lutheran, Duke was put in place.

Untitled48.jpg

Since the capture of St Martin things had not gone well for the Habsburg Empire overseas. In Africa both the Duchies of Guinea and Niger had fallen. Meanwhile the Cape Colony was only held onto thanks to the valour of a mixture of Austrian soldiers and Afrikaaner militiamen. Meanwhile in the Caribbean the Portuguese had taken 3 of Austria’s Caribbean Islands. In Mexico the entire Kingdom was under Castilian occupation and in Silber Fluss the Reformed minority had taken advantage of a Castilian invasion to establish control over the Pampas. Only Uruguay remained firmly under government control.

This is why Ferdinand decided to assemble all of Austria’s armies in Europe for a mass invasion of Papal Italy. The utter ineptitude of the Papal commanders in Lombardy since Sebastian di Medici’s dismissal had been such that 4/5 of the entire Papal army had been destroyed. By the Summer of 1582 the initiative was back firmly in the hands of the Lutheran Austrians. The invasion was swift and successful as Florence, Pisa, Siena and Romagna all fell. In December Ferdinand himself establish a siege of Rome. Instead of allowing his army to crack open its walls as sack it as the zealots had during Luther’s rule, Ferdinand waited until the city was nearing starvation. Then he issued the people of Rome a message – in exchange for the head of Urban VII and 100 tons of silver he would make peace. Quickly Rome erupted into mob rule and in late August 1583 the Emperor received both of his prizes as a worried collection of Cardinals signed off on a peace treaty as representatives of the Papacy and the Catholic League.

map18.gif

For all the grandeur of the 3 Years War very little changed. The Papacy lost two colonies with Santana being destroyed and St Martin going to Austria whilst Bavaria regained Shwaben from Austria. Meanwhile both Baden and Brandenburg (whose government was overthrown by the Lutheran rebellion) converted to the Lutheran faith and Baden became a Habsburg vassal. Meanwhile the Papacy did, in effect, achieve its war goal of ending the Austrian threat to its new Trans-Atlantic Empire as the entire Austrian Fleet was sunk and Vienna’s finances were put into utter disrepair, making it impossible for the Austrians to fund any major privateering campaign. This draw left both sides claiming victory and went only a short way in ending the disputes which led to it.

Ferdinand lived only a couple of years after his military victory in Italy, on his way home from Rome he suffered a riding accident which left him bedbound for his last two years. For two years he suffered through excruciating pain and various illnesses before death finally claimed the soldier-Emperor.

Now that the update is written I'm off to invade India! (or atleast try )

I think you should weaken the Pope. before you go for India. He is a strong Catholic with powerful allies in your backyard. Do not take his lands for yourself, but force the release of Naples, Sicily, and Urbino instead.

Great update. Good luck in India. :)

Leopold VIII, the Seafarer
Lived: 1545-1610
Head of House of Habsburg: 1585-1610
Holy Roman Emperor: 1585-1610
Archduke of Austria: 1585-1610
King of Bohemia and Mexico: 1585-1610
King of Peru: 1594-1610
Duke of Lombardy and Thuringia: 1585-1610

austria.jpg

Leopold VIII of the House of Habsburg was a man of great vision and determination. When he inherited the throne of Caesars in 1585 Austria had just recovered from the 3 Years War and was both ready and eager to continue its showdown with the Catholic world. But Leopold had no interest in theological warfare in Europe when there were Empires of gold across the seas. The Emperor used merchants rather than generals to establish himself as Europe’s most powerful Monarch. Despite never going to war against a Continental power by the end of his reign Leopold had established the Habsburg realm as the most powerful on earth.

Untitled53.jpg

Leopold’s first major moves after taking power came in 1587 when he passed the Bill of Trade Across the Oceans. The two main parts of this Bill were the creation of the Austrian House of Trade (a state controlled regulatory body) and the Importation Act (essentially a system of tariffs non-Austrian goods). The AHT (Austrian House of Trade) quickly helped to increase profits for the partially state controlled Austrian West India Company and generally streamlined trans-Atlantic trade. The Importation Act meanwhile had more mixed effects. Firstly it further strained the abysmal relations between Austria and its main competitors in New World, tropical, goods – Castile and the Papacy. However it did help Austrian producers in that they were able to increase their profits by due to the higher prices they secured for their goods (the AHT made sure that prices rises were limited to reasonable levels). Finally the new tariffs promoted inefficiency in production which discouraged the innovation of New World agriculture.

map19.gif

With virtually all of the Caribbean already claimed in 1590 Leopold rushed to establish control over Curacao, off the coast of British Colombia (based around Lake Maracaibo), and later in the year took control over the profitable Turk Island chain. This left only the Bahamas (a highly populated and comparatively unprofitable chain of islands off the coast of Florida). Around the same time the Afrikaners of the Cape expanded the Cape Colony Northward in order to cope with the high level of immigration into the colony. The strong trade of Cape Town, temperate Mediterranean style climate and wealthy lands of the region had made it very popular with Dutch and German immigrants.

004-Francisco-Pizarro-zu-pferd-bei-.jpg

As early as the 1560s Castile had established contact with the mighty Inca Empire – a state that dwarfed even the Aztecs in wealth and size. However it position on the Pacific Ocean had made it difficult for any permanent relations to be established. Improvements in shipbuilding in the following decade allowed the Castilians to begin trading on a large scale with the Incan Empire during the late 1570s. For more than a decade Castile enjoyed a monopoly on trade with the Incas. As a response to this in 1593 Karl von Gutenberg was given an army and told to establish a trading post next to the Incan Empire and to convince them to focus their trade with Austria rather than Castile. Two months after leaving the safety of the Silber Fluss Gutenberg made contact with the Inca at a town called Lima. Here emissaries of Emperor Tupac Hualpa II informed them of a small tribe – the Chimu – who ruled over a port to the and were utterly encircled by the Empire, if Gutenberg destroyed the troublesome tribe then the Emperor would allow him to keep their port and cut off relations with Castile. Needless to say Gutenberg quickly moved to accomplish his mission.

Once Gutenberg and Austria’s traders started to make their way through the Empire of the Inca they were shocked at what they discovered. Ever since the arrival of the Castilians epidemic diseases had started to sweep across the Incan Empire. Upon first contact the Incan population was approximately 20 million, by the time Gutenberg arrived there was between 1 and 3 million. Entire cities had been abandoned dead bodies littered the impressive mountainous highways of the Empire, everything was in disrepair. The Inca were weak.

Following the recruitment of around 3,000 Chimu warriors Gutenberg invaded the once mighty Incan Empire with an army of 3,000 Chimu, 2,000 German infantry, 1,000 cavalrymen and a battalion of cannons. At this stage the Inca could still call upon between 20 and 30 thousand warriors.

2IC3D00Z.jpg

Gutenberg opened the war by splitting his forces: the Chimu warriors were sent Northward into the almost totally abandoned Northern highlands, Gutenberg led his German soldiers back aboard the fleet and sailed South to the port of Lima. Here Gutenberg gained access to the city under a flag of friendship and then once inside slaughtered the inhabitants and the 4,000 man garrison.

introsnap038.png

Gutenberg then proceeded to march South, following the shore and remaining with reach of his fleet, the Incas sent several armies to face him. Each and every one was dispatched with ease as less than 500 Germans died during this stage of the war. Then after reaching the far South of the Empire he turned Northward and began the march on Cuzco (capital of the Inca). Once he had strayed far from the safety of the coast Emperor Tupac Hualpa II led the last of the Incan army – 13,000 warriors into battle against Gutenberg’s 3,000.

IH-97.jpg

The Battle of Puno, like each battle before it, ended in sure victory for Gutenberg. On the fields of Puno the Incan Empire was destroyed. The army was annihilated, the Emperor killed and most importantly the pride of the Inca was finally broken. Barely one week later Cuzco fell and Gutenberg announced his master’s annexation of the Incan Empire.

map20.gif

Emperor Leopold VIII of Austria made the incredible decision, against the advice of almost everyone in Europe, to travel all the way from Vienna to Lima to accept the newly founded Peruvian crown. Leopold was the first European Monarch to ever set foot on the new world and his journey to Peru was symbolically a highly significant move. It showed that the Habsburgs now regarded their vast overseas Empire as an integral and equal part of the nation rather than merely seeing it as another unimportant possession. The new Kingdom was also a highly profitable asset as it was able to produce more income even than the Caribbean colonies.

No sooner had Leopold returned to Europe than a major crisis erupted. The Lutheran citizens of Pressburg sent a message to Vienna begging for assistance against their Orthodox Hungarian overlords who had banned their faith, burned their churches and frequently tormented them. The crisis actually began whilst Leopold was still on his way to Vienna itself and in his absence many leaders of the Lutheran Church openly called for the liberation of the people of Pressburg. By the time Leopold was in his capital public opinion was so strongly in favour of war that he had little choice.

map21.gif

The war with Hungary was short. Hungary – a nation in seemingly perpetual civil war – was simply unable to resist the more modern and more numerous Austrian armies. Just a few months after the start of the war Hungary surrendered. Moravia was claimed through the virtue of its association with the Bohemian throne (a Habsburg title) and the city of Pressburg was brought into the Empire.

map22.gif

During the first three years of the 17th century Leopold funded a period of colonial expansion. In Central America the Kingdom of Mexico was expanded into nearby, wealthy, lands to the North. After this expansion the Kingdom reached the fringes of North America’s barely inhabited deserts. Meanwhile in 1603 the colony of Piranti was established to the North-east of Sliber Fluss on rather less productive but still valuable lands.

galleon2.jpg

With the Caribbean almost totally colonised and most of the most valuable territories in the New World already taken Leopold came to the conclusion that the future lay not in the West but in the East. For almost a century Iberian merchants had been trading with the rich continent of India. Yet even by the start of the 17th Century India remained largely shrouded in mystery for the Germans. That is what makes Leopold’s decision to fund the largest colonial expedition in history so incredible. 4 War Galleons (a new type of warship first built by British sailors in 1602 only a select few nations in the world possessed the ability to build the ships), 8,000 men, 4,000 cavalrymen and 2 battalions of cannons. In 1607 General Ulrich von Stubenrauch set off from Genoa. After more than a month at sea (including a brief stop at Cape Town) Stubenrauch arrived off the coast of Gujarat, India.

map23.gif

India was focussed around one ultra powerful Empire – the Hindustani Empire. To the West, East and South of the Empire there existed a series of weak and divided Hindu Princes, in the North-West there were two powerful Muslim Princes whilst the island of Ceylon was ruled by a Buddhist Prince. Stubenrauch attacked the weak and divided Princlings of Gujarat in an attempt to establish an Austrian base in India, however he faced an attack from the Hindustani Empire.

857-freedom-struggle-india_26.jpg

For the next two years Stubenrauch waged the Gujarati war against insurmountable odds each and every Indian army was beaten back. At sea his war galleons proved utterly superior to the ships of the Hindustani fleet, this left Stubenrauch able to blockade half of the Empire’s ports. After two years of military failure on land and sea the Hindustani Emperor surrendered to the Habsburg nation.

map24.gif

The story of the Germans in India began in the best possible fashion. Militarily they were clearly vastly superior to their opponents whilst with the capture of Kutch they took control of a city that handled roughly half of India’s trade.

Leopold did not love to discover the triumph of his expedition to India as he passed away in 1610. He was succeeded by his 49 year old son Ernst.