• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When you're finished with this AAR (which I plan to follow religiously) do you think you'll publish your modifications for the new independent Louisiana? This is a scenario I'd like to give a crack at myself.

Kudos on this format, it's one that I've wanted to do for my first AAR.

That's the way to inspire your new people! Tell them you rule them against your will!

I know nappy's being honest but that must be a little annoying for the poor Louisianans.

I look forward to the Imerpium's future. Onwards sons of the Mississippi!

I think Emperor of New France is the most plausible title for Napoleon. He leaves all ties to France, BUT he shows the world he will rule the French everywhere outside of Europe. They didn't want him in Europe? Fine, but they didn't say anything about the World. :D Plus claims on half of Canada at the beginning of the game would be nice. ;)

Acadien sounds better than Cajun. Cajun sounds terribly native american. Acadien sounds frenchier. It's nice to see Haiti is Acadien (I'll use this untill you decide. Easier to write than New French.). Also, you should've used a different shade of gray/white for Lousiane. It looks like uncolonised Canada and Washington is Acadien too. Or are they?

ideogically, Napoleon was Empereur of the french, not of France...and it's was a very important thing! Never would he abandon his title...The allies could call him whatever they wanted but event at St Helena, he was still calling himself Empereur des Français...

lettersf.png

To All: The lack of updates in the last couple of days were due to heavy snowfall here which disrupted my access to the life-giving Internet. But now, back to normal service!

Dear Sir:

Now all we need is the fleet to defect to their Emperor, carrying a horde of Frenchmen over to the new world.

A land of opportunity, for Frenchmen?
Shall you have the same plurality and attractiveness as USA?

Yours,

Enewald

As you'll see, that's more or less what I plan to do. I haven't added a whole bunch of extra POPs to Louisiana, but for my starting scenario I have raised literacy and plurality quite a bit. I'm hoping to stimulate an immigration boom that will rival the USA's. I figure that if Nappoleon is crafty, he can capitalise on Liberal discontent in Europe at the Ancien Regimes. The USA was historically none-too-welcoming for Catholics, so the Republic of Louisiana would provide a nice alternative for Irish, Poles, South Germans, Italians and, of course, French immigrants.

Dear Sir:

I, like many others, was overcome to the point of tears by patriotism and amour de la patrie, even one that is now centered in this New World. The Emperor's speech bestirs any heart to such noble sentiment! Vive Napoleon!

Sincerely,

Mssr. R-G. de Baie.

Exactly - Napoleon needs to give the Louisianais something to cheer about, and to quickly instill a sense of patriotism into a nascent state (before its overrun by the Yankees or British).

Dear Sir:

When you're finished with this AAR (which I plan to follow religiously) do you think you'll publish your modifications for the new independent Louisiana? This is a scenario I'd like to give a crack at myself.

Kudos on this format, it's one that I've wanted to do for my first AAR.

Yours,

Opening Eye, III

I'm glad to hear you'll be on board. I'll certainly pass along the modifications I made once I'm through with them (I'm still tinkering a little bit as we speak). I'd like to see what you make of them!

Dear Sir:

That's the way to inspire your new people! Tell them you rule them against your will!

I know nappy's being honest but that must be a little annoying for the poor Louisianans.

I look forward to the Imerpium's future. Onwards sons of the Mississippi!

Yours,

Tommy4ever

Well, to be honest, I think Napoleon was a little embittered at seeing his new homeland for the first time. He doesn't have much material to work with. Perhaps he was a little blunt with them.

Long Live the Riverine Republic!

Dear Sir:

I think Emperor of New France is the most plausible title for Napoleon. He leaves all ties to France, BUT he shows the world he will rule the French everywhere outside of Europe. They didn't want him in Europe? Fine, but they didn't say anything about the World. :D Plus claims on half of Canada at the beginning of the game would be nice. ;)

Acadien sounds better than Cajun. Cajun sounds terribly native american. Acadien sounds frenchier. It's nice to see Haiti is Acadien (I'll use this untill you decide. Easier to write than New French.). Also, you should've used a different shade of gray/white for Lousiane. It looks like uncolonised Canada and Washington is Acadien too. Or are they?

Yours,

Vesimir

Perhaps Acadien would be a nice compromise. I also like Republic of Louisiana. But Emperor of New France / the New French? It's a bit of a mouthful, and I think the Brits would see through that attempt to lay claim to Quebec. Maybe we'll stick with Emperor of the French, at least within the borders of Louisiana. Or maybe just the Emperor Napoleon. That says it all, really.

And I deliberately made the North and West borders of the Republic vague because, just as in OTL, nobody quite knows where they are! The difference between 'Upper Louisiana' and 'Indian Country' is really just in the mapmaker's imagination, really.

Dear Sir:

ideogically, Napoleon was Empereur of the french, not of France...and it's was a very important thing! Never would he abandon his title...The allies could call him whatever they wanted but event at St Helena, he was still calling himself Empereur des Français...

Yours,

Gen. Hoth

As above, I think this is the approach I'll follow. The Allies will call him 'Emperor of Louisiana' (with deliberately patronising irony, no doubt), while N will refer to himself as 'Emperor of the French'.

Suscribed!

Nice to have you on board!

Dear Sir:

Loving this AAR so far. The format and the set up are enjoyable to read. What will ole Nappy get up to in the Americas?!

Yours,

Kaltorak

Great to hear from you! Napoleon's always a popular figure, and upsetting the US's plans of Manifest destiny usually draws a crowd :D.

Last edited:
sept1818top.jpg

sept1818bottom.jpg

Last edited:
As always a great update.

I feel sorry for Napoleon living in this barely gilded cage but he seems to be making the best of things.

I'm looking forward to when we finally get to the game portion of the AAR. :)

Yours,

Tommy4ever

Dear Sir;

The Steam-Boats are ghastly, smoke-spewing creatures that will lead to nothing good. Though it is increasingly clear they are no longer mere toys, surely this unreliable power is better left alone in favour of more traditional means of transportation?

Sincerely,

R.G. de Baie.

Dear Sir;

The opening up of Upper Louisiana by the use of steam boats seems a prudent move. It is a shame however, that the powers that be view the country as a joint stomping ground. It must humble the Emperor even more than his reverses in Europe to be seen in such an insignificant light. He seems to distract himself with the sciences he loves so. The Emperors comrades seem to be growing a little long in the tooth, hopefully the spark isn't lost within them.

Regards,

Kaltorak

Dear Sir;

I have recently begun following your most excellent paper and look forward to new issues.
It is good to hear that the British and Americans have shown their support of our independence with signing of this treaty, although I think they are taking too many liberties with what they can do within our borders. Hopefully the Emperor can put some more respect in them later.

Yours,
Mssr. Sometimes

Last edited:
Dear Sir

I am outraged at Mssr Bonaparte's actions in appointing 70% of the new senators. Who will defend the interests of commerce in a chamber of appointees? Who will protect the interests of the Louisianais from the incoming Frenchmen?

Yours (in outrage)

A. Alfredian

lettersf.png

The editing staff is greatly impressed by the increasing quality of letters being received from readers ;)

Dear Sir:

As always a great update.

I feel sorry for Napoleon living in this barely gilded cage but he seems to be making the best of things.

I'm looking forward to when we finally get to the game portion of the AAR. :)

Yours,

Tommy4ever

Not too long to wait now - 3 or 4 more updates! I got a little carried away with my prologue, it seems :). The gilded paint is definitely rather tired and flaking by now. But at least Nappy can continue to be an annoyance to his neigbours, and promote his independence in all possible ways.

Dear Sir;

The Steam-Boats are ghastly, smoke-spewing creatures that will lead to nothing good. Though it is increasingly clear they are no longer mere toys, surely this unreliable power is better left alone in favour of more traditional means of transportation?

Sincerely,

R.G. de Baie.

Dear Sir;

You would make a ship sail against the wind and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense.

Yours,

Mr X

Your thoughts are probably echoed by a number of Louisiana's citizens. That may explain why the reckless Americans have a head start on constructing these vessels. But the Emperor is not one to miss out on a scientific discovery. As the Mississippi is the main artery of the Republic, trade along it is vital to the new economy.

Dear Sir;

The opening up of Upper Louisiana by the use of steam boats seems a prudent move. It is a shame however, that the powers that be view the country as a joint stomping ground. It must humble the Emperor even more than his reverses in Europe to be seen in such an insignificant light. He seems to distract himself with the sciences he loves so. The Emperors comrades seem to be growing a little long in the tooth, hopefully the spark isn't lost within them.

Regards,

Kaltorak

The entire government is one of exiles and men of past glories. Some new blood will be rising through the ranks, but with the Emperor being naturally backward-looking, it will take some time. Louisiana was created as a buffer-state by the US and GB, and both see its existence only as a result of their own mercy. It must certainly irk the Emperor, but at least he's not on a tiny island in the Atlantic!

Dear Sir;

I have recently begun following your most excellent paper and look forward to new issues.
It is good to hear that the British and Americans have shown their support of our independence with signing of this treaty, although I think they are taking too many liberties with what they can do within our borders. Hopefully the Emperor can put some more respect in them later.

Yours,
Mssr. Sometimes

I'm glad to hear you've been following. Unfortunately the Americans and British hold all the cards - for now. The next issue will see Louisiana taking some baby steps towards true independence.

Dear Sir;

Can we have a 30 Years War between Catholics and Protestants in the New World?

Yours, Enewald

That's a real possibility, given the geopolitical axis of North America right now. Louisiana and Mexico versus Britain and the US? :D

Dear Sir

I am outraged at Mssr Bonaparte's actions in appointing 70% of the new senators. Who will defend the interests of commerce in a chamber of appointees? Who will protect the interests of the Louisianais from the incoming Frenchmen?

Yours (in outrage)

A. Alfredian

I'm afraid that's almost certainly Napoleon's intention. You don't really think he would allow a fully elected chamber, do you? Besides, the benevolent Emperor will protect all our interests, I'm sure. :p

Dear Sir;

I have to wonder if the Empereur remembered that time when he said steam powered ships are pure nonsense. I must say I am happy that the Acadiens have welcomed immigrants from the Napoleonic Empire, counting me among them.

Yours,

Mr Gabriel Valjean

Being lucky to retain his title and living thousands of miles from home may well have given the Emperor a new perspective on the notion of 'progress'! French immigrants are no doubt the key to any future success for Louisiana.

Last edited:
july1819top.jpg

july1819bottom.jpg

Last edited:
Mabye Napoleon needs to re-militarise the Mississippi-land and then agree to an Anschluss with the Oregon territory. Then its only fair if the Tejas-land is ceded by Spain or the Mexico in the name of keeping all good people of Louisianan descent in the Empire.

Your Tommy4ever