• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good lord! Cnes did not end well at all, didn't even deserve it, the poor girl.
Marcovefa seems like she could be a good mother to the children, they'll need one.
Sorcha's fascination with executions is...troubling but maybe something good will come of it.
It looks like Henrik is securing some legacy for himself but we will have to see how long that lasts.
I don't like the look of the Insular heresy, especially if it risks rising to the throne of England.
A slightly messy crusade but in the end, Castille looks ready to take over the rest of Iberia. I'm always slightly disappointed that Portugal almost never appears in CK but here's hoping.

Reactions:
An amazing update as always. Good work!

Reactions:
Good lord! Cnes did not end well at all, didn't even deserve it, the poor girl.
Marcovefa seems like she could be a good mother to the children, they'll need one.
Sorcha's fascination with executions is...troubling but maybe something good will come of it.
It looks like Henrik is securing some legacy for himself but we will have to see how long that lasts.
I don't like the look of the Insular heresy, especially if it risks rising to the throne of England.
A slightly messy crusade but in the end, Castille looks ready to take over the rest of Iberia. I'm always slightly disappointed that Portugal almost never appears in CK but here's hoping.

Cnes was an innocent victim of the craven Bishop.
Marcovefa is a good woman from a good family and will soon have more concrete ties to the Bamburghs.
Sorcha has learned to be temperate and just, so at least she is taking the right lessons from her interest in executions.
King Henrik is looking to secure his family's future, as the throne continues to jump from family to family.
Insular keeps spreading, not sure how it will play out.
Everyone was doing their own thing during the Crusade, luckily there were enough Catholic armies involved to come out on top. Castille is definitely sitting pretty after that boost in territory. Not sure how Portugal will play out this time around. the new Duchess Wulfwynn of Coimbra is sitting in de jure Portugal territory I believe.

An amazing update as always. Good work!

Thank you, appreciate your support.

Time to find a new bride...good in Intrigue but not ambitious or of child bearing age....second wives are sometimes more important than heirs!

Duchess Marcovefa still has a few good years left in her and will soon add to the family.

If you have been unlucky, second wives are needed to produce heirs.

As mentioned, Duchess Marcovefa will add the Salian genes to the Bamburgh bloodline.

Reactions:
1133 - 1135 The War for East Riding
1133 - 1135 The War for East Riding

The flurry of construction I had overseen before the Crusade had people calling me an architect, even though the late Thane Hroberht and his staff had done the bulk of the work. When I returned home with the spoils of the Crusade, I was ready to put my architectural reputation and skills to work and finally develop the land in Bernicia that now had water from my new aqueduct and lumber from my new logging camps. With the help of the guild of stonemasons, I laid out a new city west of Bebbanburg. It would be called Rothbury when it was done, which would take about three years.

d9dd2v0.jpg

I was engrossed with the planning of my new city for the next three months. Once things were set in motion, I stepped back and looked for my next task. I learned that Duchess Gjertrud of Mercia and Jórvik had died of smallpox while I had been off fighting in the Crusade. Her young son, Audun af Island, had inherited the Duchy of Mercia and her even younger son had briefly inherited the Duchy of Jórvik, before smallpox had claimed him as well. Her husband and cousin, Úlfhédinn af Island, had inherited the Duchy of Jórvik from their son. The two Dukes were of course, allied, since they were father and son from House af Island. But even their combined strength was no match for mine.

a12mLN9.jpg

W9I2WGp.jpg

After the new year, in 1134, I declared war on Duke Úlfhédinn of Jórvik to press my claim for East Riding. As expected, Duke Audun II of Mercia joined the war, but even then, I had almost double their strength without even calling in my own allies. But I called them anyway. Earl Rogellach of Leinster who I had helped claim Ormond and my nephew, Duke Eanfrith of Frisia, though he was still in bad shape physically. Eanfrith did have a new heir, his wife had just given him a son, Udo of Bamburgh, named Udo after his grandfather.

0MHQIph.jpg

As my men gathered that Spring to march for war, my Steward Reeve Sigeric of Whitehaven passed away peacefully. Reeve Ealdmund of Sheffield was named as his replacement on the Council.

xySJRIi.jpg

Also, another war appeared in England as an Anglo-Saxon peasant revolt erupted in the south of England. As the Marshal of England, I probably should have done something about it, but instead I ignored it and focused on my own war. In May, I had besieged Pockington in East Riding.

RXlfTTK.jpg

Earl Rogellach showed up to fight even though our alliance was technically over. My sister Agatha had died after I had sent the call to war. She had been drinking alone, all by herself. She had been found dead in her rooms in late April. That left only my sister, Leofwine, and I.

yV4qKXj.jpg

While the siege continued, I was informed that Anglo-Saxon researchers had discovered all they could about horseshoes. They asked what should they study next. I looked at the walls of Pockington and said something to make those walls fall faster. So began the Anglo-Saxon fascination with trebuchets.

rXgtewt.jpg

In November, Pockington fell and I marched west. The Mercian army had just captured Bolton and I hoped catch them before they could move on. I and my allies caught up with them in Halifax and crushed their army. They fled south toward Mercia. I sent my allies toward Lincolnshire, while I concentrated on freeing Bolton from the Mercian garrison.

ekrwrjR.jpg

In February of 1135, my nephew Eanfrith died from his non-healing wounds that had plagued him for years. His one-year old son was now Duke Udo II of Frisia and Upper Lorraine. His men remained in England fighting my war. Duke Udo II’s 14-year old sister, Gautlindis of Bamburgh was his heir. She was betrothed to Gaudenty Opawski, a landless 31-year old Polish noble.

2BA0m7z.jpg

Better news was that my daughter Cynehild had outgrown her sickly infancy and was now healthy. She was already showing signs of becoming a scholar, always lost in thought.

MLjLzwd.jpg

The Mercians returned and tried to lay siege to Cheshire, but my Frisian allies chased them off.

My neighbor across the Scottish border, Duchess Coblaith of Lothian, took offense at something Reeve Sæthryth had said and decided to spout off about her displeasure. I sent the letter to Sæthryth to file away.

mNDBDyg.jpg

In May, Bolton was free and I was marching for Lincolnshire. Meanwhile the Frisians had followed the Mercian army and caught them at Wigmore and defeated them in battle. By the time I heard of the victory, my siege camp was in place outside of Lincoln.

The siege would stretch on for 5 months.

xy57cSl.jpg

My son Leofric came of age. Unfortunately, he was content to sit around drinking and socializing with his friends rather than applying himself to his studies, so he was at best an adequate diplomat.

QC5kH6x.jpg

The siege ended with Lincoln in my hands as well as Earl Skule of Lincolnshire, the former Duke of Jórvik before his late sister unseated him, and 4 other prisoners. The Mercian army had landed in East Riding to try and free Pockington, so I marched north to meet them.

The battle of Bridlington ended the war as I proved victorious. Duke Úlfhédinn of Jórvik had died several weeks earlier from internal injuries, so Jórvik and Mercia had been reunited under Duke Audun II. So, he was the one who surrendered East Riding to me. The wording of his surrender did not suit a 6-year old boy, I assume someone on his Council wrote it for him.

qe7w4oF.jpg

11r1pG3.jpg

The situation did upset my plans, as I now had a truce with Duke Audun II and could not press my claim for Shropshire, which I could have done if his father had lived two months longer.

I went through my prisoners from the war and arranged for their release. All I gained in ransom was for Earl Skule’s daughter Astrid. I continued holding onto the Earl and his son, Torfinn, as Skule didn’t even have enough coin for his daughter. I let her go for a quarter of what she might have fetched.

j50NSrn.jpg

wjhVGcV.jpg

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Time to go after the crown? Of England or Wales?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Insular keeps spreading, not sure how it will play out.
Insular Christianity has a history with the people of Northumbria. The first Northumbrian converts including your predecessor, Saint King Oswald of Northumbria, were converted by Ionian Monks. They even followed the Ionian calculation of easter until the Synod of Whitby in 664 brought them in line with Rome. It will be interesting to see whether the Insular Rites will hold sway once again among the people of Northumbria. Perhaps it will once again cause conflict in the Northumbrian Court, maybe the second Synod of Whitby is in Northumbria's future?

Loving this AAR! Keep up the good work.

Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Time to go after the crown? Of England or Wales?

Wulfgar is still thinking inside the box, sticking to traditions while trying to restore Anglo-Saxon rule, so taking the throne himself has not crossed his mind.

Insular Christianity has a history with the people of Northumbria. The first Northumbrian converts including your predecessor, Saint King Oswald of Northumbria, were converted by Ionian Monks. They even followed the Ionian calculation of easter until the Synod of Whitby in 664 brought them in line with Rome. It will be interesting to see whether the Insular Rites will hold sway once again among the people of Northumbria. Perhaps it will once again cause conflict in the Northumbrian Court, maybe the second Synod of Whitby is in Northumbria's future?

Loving this AAR! Keep up the good work.

Interesting, thanks for that, am not familiar with Insular Christianity history in Northumbria and the main points of divergence from Catholicism, it basically comes down to a dispute among mathematicians ;). Was vaguely aware of the St. Oswald connection as well as St. Cuthbert.

Thank you.

Leofric only does what Trust Fund Kids do all the time in college....

So true.

Disgusting Welsh, why would you ever want their crown.
Nice work in this update though!

Hehe, Thanks.

Reactions:
Wulfgar is still thinking inside the box, sticking to traditions while trying to restore Anglo-Saxon rule, so taking the throne himself has not crossed his mind.

In truth he already is a king effectively and culturally in his realm. But if he gets any larger, by pushing up the socttish border or down south, he might as well make it official and take the crown of England as well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1136 – 1138 A Cross Roads
1136 – 1138 A Cross Roads

As a new year dawned, it was brought to my attention that none of my children had been married. My 20-year old daughter, Beorngyth, and 18-year old daughter, Sorcha, had been waiting for years. And now my son and heir, Leofric, was also ready to marry. I hadn’t realized how long it had been as I been at war for most of the past seven years. I immediately looked to rectify that.

Beorngyth was married to a Duke, Duke Ebregisel Chatenois of Lausitz, a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire whose lands were to the east of her Frisian cousins. My sisters had mainly been married matrilineally, but that had been because I was my father’s only son and much younger than them all. My father had wanted to ensure that the Bamburgh line would continue and couldn’t wait to see if I reached adulthood and had children of my own. My daughters were older than my sons, but I had three sons already and four daughters, and my sisters’ children were also having their own children, the Bamburgh line was sure to continue for some time.

snBm9IJ.jpg

So, I also had no qualms in marrying my second daughter to my vassal Hereweard de Criel, Earl of Cheshire. They were close in age and had known each other for most of their lives, they would be happy, I think.

XgojnV0.jpg

For Leofric, I was looking for someone to rule at his side. I had originally tried to find someone with a claim on England, to perhaps try a new approach to restoring Anglo-Saxon rule, but no females with claims, either Anglo-Saxon, Norwegian, or even Dane, were available or willing to marry my son. I would try again with the younger boys when their time came. Then I looked for woman with nearby claims, but that was also fruitless. In the end, I chose a young woman with good administrative skills and diplomacy to help the boy rule. Her name was Alfonsina de Sezzadio, from Northern Italy, one of the daughters of the Countess Candida of Cuneo.

dl6SBq0.jpg

Out of these marriages arrangements I gained two sons, one daughter, and a war. My Lausitz son-in-law called me into his war to press Countess Christina’s claim on the County of Zielona Góra against the King of Poland. I accepted the call, not wanting to get off on the wrong foot with my daughter’s new husband. I quickly gathered my army and set out for the east.

4LiPiMn.jpg

Some months after I had sailed east across the North Sea to join this war, I received some shocking news. King Henrik Estrid was dead. That wasn’t the shocking part, all men die and Henrik and I had gotten old together. I was over 50 years old myself and Henrik had been a few years older. I didn’t hear the details of his death. But as I said, that wasn’t the shocking part. The shocking part was that the new King was Gospatric Dunbar, a heretic and a Scot, and, I think, a distant kinsman. He held no land in Scotland, so all he inherited was the crown and county of Hampshire. The Duchy of Kent had gone to one of Henrik’s sons, Olaf, I think.

I’d known some Dunbars had a claim, but I never expected one to inherit ahead of the Scandinavian choices. I had let myself becoming distracted and had lost sight of how the electors and candidates were playing out. While I might say I preferred a Scot to a Dane, I wasn’t completely sure that was true. But neither should be on the throne.

How did I learn this news, you may ask. I learned it from a messenger who came a long way to bring me an invitation to join King Gospatric’s Council as the Steward of England. I asked the messenger if he knew who else was on this Council. He said Queen Nuala of course, and the Insular Archbishop Indulf, Duchess Martha of East Seaxe was Chancellor. Earl Eastmund of Gloucestershir was Marshal and Duke Trygge of Cornwall was spymaster. The last threw me for a second, Duke of Cornwall? The messenger explained that the new King had created the Duchy of Cornwall and granted it to his fellow Insular heretic, Earl Trygge of Dorset.

5HQZ8u3.jpg

I was too far away, on the border of Poland, to do more than shake my head at all this confounding news. I turned my attention back to the siege of Lubusz. The sooner this war was over, the sooner I could go home.

CJHAxm0.jpg

My son, 13-year old Wulfhelm was with me on campaign acting as my squire. His association with some of my better Knights had led him to embrace generosity, something he had not gotten from Æthelwold Slee.

CoK2z5x.jpg

In the Spring of 1137, Lubusz fell and Countess Suanhilde was captured. This brought the war closer to an end, but only a little more time was needed to make King Wieslaw of Poland and his ally King Csaba II of Hungary surrender to Duke Ebregisel. I ransomed Countess Suanhilde back to her husband, he was very generous paying 165 gold for his wife.

In August, the war was over. Duke Ebregisel’s vassal Countess Christina claimed Zielona Góra and I could go home.

k7m8RcI.jpg

But then another messenger arrived with another invitation to sit upon the Council as the Steward of England. This invitation was from Åle Yngling, King of England. The brief reign of King Gospatric Dunbar had been shorter than my son-in-law’s war against Poland. King Henrik had ruled 40 years, King Gospatric had ruled 10 months.

I finally returned to England and got more information on my new King. King Åle was another heretic, following Insular Christianity. He also held the only the County of Hampshire and the crown of England. He had two underage sons, the Princes Gudrød and Erlend. His primary wife was Queen Maria Orkneyjar, who had been a widow, before marrying Åle and had borne three other children, though only two still lived.

It seemed at the moment the current heir for throne was King Gospatric’s son Evander Dunbar. Again, I wasn’t sure if a Scot was an improvement over a Norwegian.

yOUvKZY.jpg

I returned to Bebbanburg and decided make some more improvements in Bebbanburg and Bernicia. I expanded the defenses with traps and ditches along the approaches to my fortifications. And then I decided to make a tour of my holdings and determine what would be of use in each of them. I went to West Riding, visiting Leodis first. I decide to make some improvements in Leodis, adding bastions and curtain walls to the defenses.

kRDw5jc.jpg

nvqsDa8.jpg

North of Leodis, I stopped in at Bolton. Thane Beorhtwine of Bolton was the late Thane Hroberht’s younger brother. He had been his brother’s second for years and would do well, but he was now 68 years old himself, so I didn’t know how much longer he would be around. My friend Reeve Sæthryth, was the youngest in the Bolton family.

TrNHyBr.jpg

From Bolton, I went west into Lancashire. There I decided to add a small harbor to the County. Then I circled north into Cumbraland to Carleol and expanded the military camps by adding cook houses at the camps to better store food and organize meals for my levys stationed there. I went back east into North Riding and started construction of bastions and curtain walls at Eoforwic. Then headed south into East Riding. Poclintun already had bastions and curtain walls, so instead I provided my newest subjects with land and seed to plant more crops. And finally, I stopped at Dunholm on my way back to Bebbanburg and started improvements on the defenses with earth ramparts.

GpfpaX0.jpg

zxsJQl0.jpg

Oy87XKL.jpg

CSkFPQ1.jpg

E0uoyjP.jpg

All-in-all this little tour cost me about a third of my treasury, 800 gold. But most of that coin had come from Crusade and about half the improvements would soon be paying money back, while the rest would help me better defend my holdings and all of Northumbria.

AiIXPsa.jpg

In October of 1137, my main construction project for the past few years was completed, as Æthelsige Grey became the Reeve of my newest Barony, the Borough of Rothbury. The first steps toward this goal had taken place almost 15 years earlier when the late Thane Hroberht had floated the idea of building an irrigation system to deliver water to the Rothbury area. Now there is a growing community. I hugged Reeve Sæthryth and said this was part of her brother’s legacy. Rothbury joins the monasteries at Hexham and Lindisfarne as well as Bebbanburg, of course, as the centers of the Bernicia economy.

accTup4.jpg

In Bebbanburg, Earl Skule and his son were still under house arrest as Lincolnshire hadn’t been able to raise enough funding to pay their ransoms. I released the Earl after gaining a pledge from him and sent him to see if he could speed up gathering the ransom of his son and heir, Torfinn.

sy4xuch.jpg

Earl Eastmund of Gloucestershire approached me, he had served on the Council of England as Marshal while I had been appointed Steward, a role that suited him much more than Marshal. I not sure what King Gospatric and King Åle were thinking in switching our roles up. Whatever the reason, Eastmund offered to help me with my duties as Steward in exchange for a favor. I was wary, and rebuffed his offer, sensing an ulterior motive.

ovG59ry.jpg

In Kent, another heresy had appeared, Olaf Estrid, the son of the late King Henrik, had adopted the Adamite faith and their strange customs. They say he parades around his keep naked. So far, his wife and other members of his court had not joined him in his madness. His madness extended beyond Kent as he had founded a faction to place his naked arse on the throne of England. So far no one else has joined his campaign. But another faction is growing in strength. Countess Matilda of Wiltshire had started a faction to install her sister Mary on the throne of England. She had rallied three more to her cause, Duchess Martha of East Seaxe, Earl Eastmund of Gloucestershire, and Countess Ragnfrid of Derby. Was this why Eastmund had approached me? Hoping to recruit me to this faction either through reason, or if that failed, by using a favor I might have granted him.

uRoTeQE.jpg

In either case, I am now faced with a choice, I had 6 months to decide if I would join this faction and placed an English Godwin back on the throne, as my father had done 50 years earlier in restoring Harold to the throne, or sit back and watch how it plays out. Right now, if King Åle didn’t find some allies, the current faction had the strength to defeat him if they were well led. But if he used his two young sons to gain allies, he might be able to gather the strength to defeat them. I could tip the balance in either direction, if I played this right.

• 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well I think you have to try, given the premises of the AAR...

Reactions:
Better English than Norse.

Reactions:
another heresy had appeared,
Now that heresy is one step too far, this is no petty dispute over whether Roman or Irish calenders and haircuts are better. The followers of the Insular Rite maybe slightly astray but Adamitism is repugnant to all teaching of the Church and Scripture. I hope it is quashed before it spreads.

I could tip the balance in either direction, if I played this right
It would be uncharacteristic to not tip the balance and knock the Norseman off the throne in favour of an English Queen.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Frisia and Upper Lorraine is a significant prize for the Bamburghs though the succession does not look too stable.
Leofric is not the best heir one could wish for but he is still young and could yet make something of himself. Alfonsina could provide a positive influence but I'm not sure they're very compatible personality-wise.
Northumbria is truly the hegemon of England now. I think a crown is in order.
My goodness, these Kings keep getting worse and worse with each election! And isn't it too early for a Scotsman to inherit England?
Between raving Scandinavian heretic nudists and the English, I think English culture might just be the lesser evil.

Reactions: