• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the team split to make the hotfixes viable while developing the story pack. Wiz said in the stream he didn't even know any of the new anomalies when he started playing it. One could say the whole team should be tweaking the game and not just a part of it, but game developers have many different roles, so I think the designers and writers were focused on getting a fresh new story pack for us while the other developers focused on fixing 2.0. Whether this was successfull or not, at least it makes sense to me.
I'm not a fanboy myself, I'm very critic of paradox work (like I was with the lack of portrait customization in the humanoids DLC, and asked many times for more content to fix this), but I really don't feel anything wrong with this exploration DLC, even though the game is not perfect in it's core, I believe the people trying to fix it are still trying to fix it. 2.0.3 not having a beta was a terrible choice, but now we have it in 2.0.4. I hope they keep working in it before 2.1 comes.
And I hope they keep tweaking the AI, be it in 2.0.5 or 2.1, it's something that must never stop.

If you buy the pack is up to you and if I do it is up to me; I am not telling anyone to do anything at this point forthspartan. You did raise the idea that paying for stuff like this will help develop the game as a whole. Frankly if that is true I am not seeing the value for my money and simply turn your statement around for everyone to think about. Is the state of the game now worth the money we spent on it over two years.
I raised that idea as a response to the people who were suggesting that a story pack detracts from more substantial development, not as a universal sole reason to buy it.

Regarding my gripes, well I did post them earlier on. Stuff does not work very well - War, Borders, sectors, movement, khans, pirates, the space castles we lost warp and wormholes to add to the game. And stuff that works but is shallow politics (both factions and rebels) economy, diplomacy, federations.

In fairness I thought the other story packs were worth the money so I may well buy it. Just coming to the end of the line I think. Do I want to buy more and more dlc and in anotherr couple of years time it still isnt satisfactory state?
Ultimately that's a question we all have to ask ourselves, do we consider the pace of Stellaris development acceptable and are we willing to pay for this?

For me the former question is a resounding yes and the latter is a probable yes, obviously you can disagree.

If nothing else I would tell people to complain. Let them hear your thoughts as I do think they do things knowing they are pushing their luck with us. I think being a yes man and not seeing the mistakes of stellaris does not help either. I love paradox still and want stellaris to be great but calling it great now is simply not true. It should be better.
I disagree, they should only give criticism if it is constructive and adds to the forum discourse.

Furthermore I take issue with the idea that just because myself or others disagrees with you means that we're Yes-men, or that it's somehow objectively true that Stellaris is not great. That is an extremely unflattering view of people who simply hold a different opinions then yourself, one's view on overall quality or the severity of problems is subjective and it's extremely myopic (not to mention arrogant) to forget that simple fact.

Furthermore I take issue with the idea that just because myself or others disagrees with you means that we're Yes-men, or that it's somehow objectively true that Stellaris is not great. That is an extremely unflattering view of people who simply hold a different opinions then yourself, one's view on overall quality or the severity of problems is subjective and it's extremely myopic (not to mention arrogant) to forget that simple fact.

Well that prob sucks. From my side of things you get dumped on for talking out so idk what to tell you. I am sure there are lots of critical posts under your name right?

Well that prob sucks. From my side of things you get dumped on for talking out so idk what to tell you. I am sure there are lots of critical posts under your name right?

Looks more like discussion to me, bud. If you're going to stick your neck out and put forth an argument you've got to be willing to back it up because you're not going to be agreed with 100% of the time, especially when you talk down a game that a lot of the people here really enjoy.

I don't understand these "value for my money" arguments.

I've put ~500 hours into Stellaris.

If I have every DLC and bought them at full price, I've sunk $80 into the game.

80/500 = $0.16

I'v effectively paid 16 cents per hour to play this game.

I've spent more on a night at the bar than I have on Stellaris, and the only thing I got out of the former was a few hours of drunkenness and a bad hangover the next morning.

Looks more like discussion to me, bud. If you're going to stick your neck out and put forth an argument you've got to be willing to back it up because you're not going to be agreed with 100% of the time, especially when you talk down a game that a lot of the people here really enjoy.

Yeah I mean im ok with it really, Forthspartan is the one with the problem.

And yeah I really love stellaris, if I didnt I wouldnt care enough to post.

80/500 = $0.16

I've spent more on a night at the bar than I have on Stellaris, and the only thing I got out of the former was a few hours of drunkenness and a bad hangover the next morning.
Exactly. It's not like you aren't getting your money's worth.

A movie would be $16 for 2 hours.

Any game is probably going to be worth more than that.

That's also the main reasoning I use when buying some microtransaction in a mobile game. I've played so long, the developer deserves something out of it. Me getting some in-game stuff is just a bonus.

No he's not. At least, not the one you think he has.

I was waiting and wishing a story pack focused in primitives and pre-sapients or a focused in silicoid aliens.
But a story pack focused in exploration, unique systems and event chains is a very good choice too, I will buy in release.

Examining our interactions the only problem I seem to have in your mind is that I hold an opinion different from your own, which TBH isn't a good look. The entire point of interacting with others is that often we'll have different viewpoints and that will lead to interesting/productive exchanges, the fact that you find such differences problematic is extremely telling and not in a good way.

80/500 = $0.16

honestly, that's a bogus argument.

If I bought a car and major parts of it was simply missing but I bought it under the premise that "hey, things will work proper at some point", I would be considered stupid. Doesn't matter how long I drove around in the car or how manyyears I owned it. After 5 years of ownership where there were still missing several things and the manufactorer sometimes pulled out systems totally and replaced them with something different because they changed their mind about what how the car should function people would laugh at me for having invested in the car in the first place. Then they would show me other cars they bought cheaper that worked and ask me: "why the F... do you keep paying to a company that keeps pulling your around by the nose? They're never gonna give you the final product, and when you are somewhere close to a final product you will end up having paid so much more that you could have bought one of the fancy sportscars instead."

I like Stellaris. I like 4x games.

But let's not kid ourself about the 'virtues' of paradox in their behaviour with the product towards the consumers.

If I bought a car and major parts of it was simply missing but I bought it under the premise that "hey, things will work proper at some point", I would be considered stupid. Doesn't matter how long I drove around in the car or how manyyears I owned it. After 5 years of ownership where there were still missing several things and the manufactorer sometimes pulled out systems totally and replaced them with something different because they changed their mind about what how the car should function people would laugh at me for having invested in the car in the first place. Then they would show me other cars they bought cheaper that worked and ask me: "why the F... do you keep paying to a company that keeps pulling your around by the nose? They're never gonna give you the final product, and when you are somewhere close to a final product you will end up having paid so much more that you could have bought one of the fancy sportscars instead."

But let's not kid ourself about the 'virtues' of paradox in their behaviour with the product towards the consumers.

Honestly, that's a bogus argument. The game's been complete since it came out, or it wouldn't have people still playing it. No one (okay, almost no one, and none of the people you're talking about) is sitting around waiting for it to be 'finished' before playing it.

There are things people want them to add that are gradually getting added. That's not the same thing.

Do you think no one who plays Stellaris plays other 4x games? Despite the dozens of comparisons between them that people on the forums constantly give?

That comparison is so inaccurate. Please take it out, and shoot it. Come back once you have learned to think without letting your emotions get the better of you.

Have you been playing it?

Then you've been getting fun for your money, which was the whole point of buying the game.

How much have you spent? How much have you played?

If that ratio is around $8/1hr, then you have successfully gotten the same value as a movie ticket. If that ratio is lower, then you have gotten a better rate than a movie ticket.

As far as I can tell, you are complaining, for the sake of complaining. Please stop that. It is not productive, wanted, or even necessary. In fact, it is the opposite of all of those things.

So again, come back when you are able t have a constructive conversation about the pros and cons of this model. Then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation.

Let's break this down piece by piece:

If I bought a car and major parts of it was simply missing but I bought it under the premise that "hey, things will work proper at some point", I would be considered stupid.
What specifically is advertised on the Steam page that Paradox hasn't delivered on?

I don't know about you, but I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought this game. I did my research, decided this game was for me, and only after that, made my purchase.

Doesn't matter how long I drove around in the car or how manyyears I owned it.
How are you driving a car if it's missing parts?

After 5 years of ownership where there were still missing several things and the manufactorer sometimes pulled out systems totally and replaced them with something different because they changed their mind about what how the car should function people would laugh at me for having invested in the car in the first place.
This comparison doesn't work because you still have access to previous versions of the game.

To make this comparison work, it would be like if the manufacturer gave you a newer model of the car for free that you could drive alongside your current one. They no longer sell upgrades for your original car, but you're more than welcome to buy upgrades for the one they gave you.

They're never gonna give you the final product, and when you are somewhere close to a final product you will end up having paid so much more that you could have bought one of the fancy sportscars instead."
What specifically is advertised on the Steam page that Paradox hasn't delivered on?

Not trying to take anyone's side or anything, but would it be possible to reserve this thread for 2.1 teasers and speculation and not arguing about the ethical implications of the payment model?

Forthspartan. I really don't want you feeling I am picking on you. In fact the first reply was yours, you elected to bring this to me. But yes I do think you are wrong and I have thus far made a few points to try and persuade others to that effect.

If you can not be apart of a dialectic and I stead want to find insult iny words then I am sorry you want to, I don't think there is anything hurtful there. Gl and HF

Peace.

Last edited:
There’s Always a Bigger Fish
That is one of those lines that somehow escaped a otherwise not much liked Star Wars Movie*.
I think "Fascinating. Everything you just said was wrong." is another one of those*

*I have to point out, that I like all the Star Wars movies. Some are better or worse, but all are a important step in the story.

I can't say i'm very hyped about Distant stars.
Then be hyped about the FREE PATCH it is acompanied by.
The pathc that is free because the DLC paid for it.

L-Cluster gateway
Yo could you either stop this never-ending argument or continue in private messages? It's not that we don't care, but we don't care. That place is for Twitter teasers, and we need to keep it like that unless the topic will be locked.

Anyway:

DbiQFmGWkAAx-Ih.jpg:large

What could be on the other side?

Twitter

This brings me to another thing I absolutely would LOVE as a possibility... after you have more or less "won" the game, be able to develop some kind of intergalactic / dimension breaching technology and invade another Galaxy (for performance reasons, maybe the smallest possible ;), have that Galaxy completely computer generated (as in established empires etc... imo you don't even have to simulate their development up to the point where you join, just randomize the empires so a nice galaxy is created filled with empires)... and then you can become THEIR endgame crisis...

Yo could you either stop this never-ending argument or continue in private messages? It's not that we don't care, but we don't care. That place is for Twitter teasers, and we need to keep it like that unless the topic will be locked.

Anyway:

DbiQFmGWkAAx-Ih.jpg:large

What could be on the other side?

Twitter