• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When I conjure up fantastical scenarios, I always cram in a dragon, an immortal and a fiend in some fashion. I've very fond of hidden character motivations. :)

Arakhor: I love dragons! Sadly, none in this story. :p And me too. It makes them more interesting.
Dewirix: Thanks! Indeed, morningSIDEr is very shrewd. Thank you for your kind words.
Aliasing: Thanks, and welcome!
Range: :blush: Aww, thank you!
Sethanon: We will eventually, yes. I think you'll enjoy the reason.

Chapter 9a – The Last Years of Charles II

Summarised from Chapter 3 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

King Charles II had never had an especially forceful personality. Instead he had been a figure of stability and calm, using talented advisors and nobles to help him. Indeed he would soon be overshadowed by his own daughter Mary.
Princess Mary was in many ways a great contrast to her father, and her personality started to exercise control, even at the young age of sixteen, and despite the fact that she had been married at age fourteen.

The remainder of Charles’ reign can be broken down into three general areas. The first was the area of social and religious policy. Strongly influenced by the Byrons, the Cooks and the Gilberts the King followed a policy of religious orthodoxy, social conservatism and a reliance on the powers of the nobility. In the remaining years of his reign he called parliament only once, to fight a war against Burgundy which ended in victory.

801447BurgundyDefeated.jpg

771446BourgeoisieDenied.jpg

791446SliderMoveNar.jpg

861452SaintMiracles.jpg

881454CitiesOldRights.jpg

In the field of military and politics England expanded its influence. It was under the influence of his key nobles, many of which now owned lands in France, that the cavalry became an important arm for the first time. Traditionally the English cavalry and knights had tended to be subordinated to their infantry, but starting in the 1440s and 50s the crown started to employ forces of heavily trained French knights. Of course, this meant further expenditure, so these units were not kept raised during peace time, except for some small units who could train others.

Other than this more of France came indirectly under the English crown, with both Armagnac and Auvergne having to subordinate themselves to the English rather than the French. Thus, by 1450 over half of the modern British continental possessions were either owned directly or through vassals.

821449ArmagnacVassal.jpg

841451AuvergneVassal.jpg

871453Gendarmes.jpg

851451DipMap.jpg

As Princess Mary reached adulthood and started to take a firmer hand in her father’s government, a couple of important events occurred. Firstly, a number of new peerages were created for supporters of the Princess using lands in France. Among these was Lord Richard Grey, later Mendenhall, the first to bear that title, which passed later to his wife Constance.

The Princess meanwhile had her own rather definite views about matters. When Anthony Albermarle, a noble from an important Burgundian family now in Picardie, attempted to gainsay the Princess she engineered his removal. It could not be said ever after that point that Mary ever yielded to a point she was set against. This stubbornness would be an asset, but also a liability for her future reign.

811448StatesmanGainsPower.jpg

In the end she did not have to wait. In 1454 after a brief illness Charles II died. A man claiming to be a bastard son of Charles proclaimed himself king instead of:
“That wench who in Whitehall resides!”
But he received no support except in areas of Ireland already discontented with English rule. His campaign was therefore short-lived. Queen Mary showed him no mercy however, setting a pattern for the rest of her reign.

891454MaryIdeVere.jpg

What can one make of Charles II’s reign? On the one hand it was spectacularly successful, bringing the Kingdom to new levels of power. On the other the King himself was hardly a dynamic force, and that he achieved so much must be laid at the feet of his daughter and important ministers. However perhaps his greatest act was to ensure that his daughter would succeed to the throne, beginning a very different reign indeed.

Going to pop in again and say thanks Ashantai! Also love the pace of the updates, with the alternating storylines coming through just long enough to get me involved and frequent enough that I can keep track of both stories without having to reread just for plot elements (rereading for pleasure is another matter, though!) :)

Seems like Aragon has been the other major beneficiary of France's collapse. Any non-French cultured state taking French cores is good news in my book. However, if the de Vere's decide to push their claim to the French throne then surely they can't leave parts of the Kingdom to suffer foreign invasion. :)

Yeah, though a woman claiming France in the teeth of Salic law is... an interesting proposition. When I did it, she was already what I have to call Empress of the West, she had perfect Legitimacy as an heir, and even so my Legitimacy at the start of her reign was 40. I expect an outsider claiming to be ruler of France would be a very difficult sell indeed.

I'd say Charles II might not have been a great king, but still a very good one. It requires some wisedom to listen to the right people and to recognise that they know better. Especially the modesty to accept that as a fact can't be belittled.

Well, that said, now let's hail Queen Mary and death to all her enemies. :)

Oh and I just commented the strenght of the Ladys army and that it is a force that has to be considered, should it be used in some way. Obviously there is no reason for her to establish s new country.:happy:

Sather: Yes, I agree with you about Charles. I think though that the author has views about him, just as she did about the Queen of Brittany. I think especially she compares him with his much more talented father Richard. Yes, Mary is a force to be reckoned with, that is for sure.
C0d5579: Well let's face it, she might be a woman, but she's got a massive army with her too. France only changed to Salic law to prevent Edward III claiming the crown, but since England is now in control the law can be changed - by force if needed.
Dewirix: No indeed not! Aragon benefitted well from their invasions in the south, something later rulers of England could not allow!
Quicksabre: Thanks! :D I post once a day because I am quite a few posts ahead in the writing, making a regular schedule possible. I think this is good for both of us, but I hope it's not too fast!

Chapter 10 – Arrival in Kirkwall

20/1/1820

John Adams was roused from sleep by a knock at the door. Getting up, he dressed and headed out onto deck. The previous days had gone past in something of a blur. Sometimes the bad weather and fog would confine him to his cabin, but other days it was quite mild. With little to do during the days he had read, slept and eaten as the coast of England and Scotland slipped past them. Apart from a couple of brief stops along the way for fuel they had kept going at full speed almost the whole time.

When he emerged onto deck he could see that they were passing around an island. He could see small houses, a lighthouse, even the occasional fishing boat. It was clear that this was the Orkneys.
What surprised John most was the sight of heavy fortifications all up and down the coast. These were no ancient castle ruins, but modern masonry defences, comparable to anything on the mainland of Europe.
“The original defences were limited, built by the Norwegians,” Lady Mendenhall said, appearing beside him. “Later defences were deemed necessary to resist possible incursions from the north. They provide security, you might say,” she added.
“Security against what, Lady?”
She made no answer except for a small smile.

No more than half an hour later they came into the harbour of Kirkwall. The city had grown considerably over the years, and though much of the old Norwegian influence remained, many English style buildings had sprung up. John noticed yet more forts and defences, far more than in the south of England where possible invasions were much more likely.
As the ship pulled up to the dock John could see a detachment of soldiers marching down to greet them. Leading them was an officer on horseback, and a carriage followed in their wake.
Lady Mendenhall bade John follow her and Tempest, and they went forward to meet the officer.
“My Lady, I am pleased to see you back,” he said, bowing in the saddle.
“Thank you, Colonel. John Adams, this is Colonel Meadows, commander of my personal forces. It is in his hands that I place all our safety,” she said with a small nod at the Colonel.
“Charmed, my Lady,” he said, obviously taken with her. “Pleasure, Mr Adams,” he said, shaking hands.
John though detected the slightest inflection on her words that suggested that inside she was secretly amused.
“And you, Colonel.”
“I have your carriage ready, Lady.”
“Thank you. Come, John. My humble residence is not far away.”

There was something about the way she said this as well that made John curious. As he sat beside her in the carriage he noted again how poised, how in control she was. She acted much more mature than her age…even if he hadn’t been able to establish what that age actually was.
“You are deep in thought, John,” Lady Mendenhall said softly.
“Yes, my Lady. My apologies,” John said.
“Oh no, no, you misunderstand me. I was not reprimanding you, I was curious as to what you were thinking.”
John hesitated. His thoughts were not exactly the politest thing to say, but he couldn’t think of anything else. Meanwhile her gaze was boring into him, and her patient smile demanded an answer.
“Lady, it was idle curiosity, that is all, but I was wondering how you managed to be so poised, so confident all the time. You always seem…composed.”
“And the unspoken addition to that is ‘for my age’,” she added with a smile. “Well, I have been told I age well,” Lady Mendenhall said. “My answer to your question though is that much of ‘noble bearing’ is simply looking like you know what is going on. To maintain a good poise is more about hiding what you think than anything else. I am sorry if that answer is not especially…mystical, but most of being ‘noble’ is acting the part. After all, aristocrats learn how to do it, and some of them are not the sharpest knives in the kitchen.”
John smiled at that. “So mostly being a good actor is enough?”
“Indeed. I wouldn’t recommend becoming a noble though, it can be very dull unless you make it otherwise.”
“Since I am not expecting to become one, I don’t think I’ll have the chance to find out,” John replied.
“Perhaps, but who knows what the future will bring?”

A25Gate.jpg

They rode on until John could see a large wall topped with decorative, yet rather sharp, spikes. The road ran through to a hefty metal gate guarded by soldiers from her Ladyship’s private forces. They opened the gate and stood to attention as the carriage passed, just as they had done back in London.
John saw ahead that the road rose up a hill, lined with hedges and scattered trees. As they finally reached the top of the hill John could see their final destination, Lady Mendenhall’s ‘humble home’.

At first John was not sure his eyes weren’t deceived. It was no mere house, but a chateau, a palace looming above the landscape. A decorative moat surrounded a building with four massive square corner towers joined together in the middle. A great dome stood over the entrance hall, and beyond was a view of the sea. Gardens and statues of all kinds were displayed in pleasing geometric patterns.
When John recovered from his shock he realised how much such a palace had cost, and how it was that even the very wealthy family of Lady Mendenhall had managed to acquire permission for such an enterprise. It was, after all, little less ornate and rich than the royal residences in London and elsewhere.
Lady Mendenhall turned and smiled at him. “Perhaps humble was not the correct term?” she asked wryly.
“It’s astonishing,” John said. “However did your family afford it? When was it built?”
“The original building was constructed in the 1580s, but the one you see now was completed in 1745. As for how? Well…prudent investment, perhaps?” she said with a small laugh. “Come, John, let me show you inside.”
“Does it have a name?” John asked.
“Nothing grand, just ‘Grey Palace’.”
John disembarked from the carriage, still in a daze. He couldn’t stop staring at the palace which has somehow been built in the desolate northern isles. The entrance was before him, and he entered, not knowing what he’d find.

A23Palace.jpg

Ooh, nice! Where is Grey Palace in our timeline? I must say that Lady Mendenhall has brilliant gardeners to bring her trees out in autumnal colours in January! :)

Gosh these chapters are so entertaining. I would almost buy them as a book!
So, do the Orkneys really have these fortifications or are they here for lady Mendenhall?

I was going to remark on it being odd that a French-style chateau has been built on Orkney, but thinking about it's probably known as south-English style in this story. I did enjoy Lady Mendenhall's tips on composure. Looking like you know what's going on is a rare skill.

Well, Ashantai, you've done it again. Great update; the extensive fortifications and secrecy have me imagining many dire (or sinister) contingencies! Let's all keep our torches and pitchforks handy, just in case.

Ooh, nice! Where is Grey Palace in our timeline? I must say that Lady Mendenhall has brilliant gardeners to bring her trees out in autumnal colours in January! :)

That's the Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte, a little ways outside Paris. Its gardens are said to be the inspiration for the Palace of Versailles. Also (for you fellow dinosaurs) the home of a Bond villain in a movie we'd all just rather forget. :D

Queen Mary showed him no mercy however, setting a pattern for the rest of her reign.

Foreboding stuff. She come to power with England undisputed master of Europe though so I suppose she can act as she likes! You've strengthened your position on the continent considerably and asserting your dominance on the British Isles seems a good move.

“Perhaps, but who knows what the future will bring?”

I think she herself knows. Once again, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but all of these comments seem subtle hints pointing towards this. As ever, I'm eager to find out where this will all lead.

Don't blush...it's true your work is magnificent...entertaining and very precise. I'm drooling over the photos and the descriptions...together, the entire ARR is very colorful...alive...I only wish I read faster...

Range: Thanks! :)
morningSIDEr: You've certainly got a very strong feeling about this. They are certainly all leading up to something! ;)
Chris Taylor: Spot on. It's a lovely building. I was really taken by the layout of it.
Dewirix: Indeed. French styles would diffuse over 400 years. Besides, eccentric people build strange things all over the place. The Victorians IRL built neo-Gothic and neo-Classical structures designed to LOOK ancient, but weren't.
Edgewise: Yes, it's not heavily populated, and it's remote. Thus, perfect for defence! By the end of the game there was 13,000 population there, so I used that as my base.
Sethanon: Just there for her and the family's benefit. Thank you for your kind words also.
Arakhor: Yes...well. The reason why I include so few pictures in the narrative section is that it's very difficult to find what I want. Naturally there are going to be oddities. Just...give me the benefit of the doubt please. :p
SouthernKing: It does look lovely! The website for it has a 360 degree camera inside. It looks magnificent.

Thank you all for your words. :)

Chapter 10a – Mary I and the New World

Summarised from Chapter 4 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

When Princess Mary ascended the throne at the age of 24 none could have guessed that she would hold that position for over five decades and bring England to a position of unequalled power. It is fitting to ask therefore just who was this woman, first ruling queen of England.
The answer was that Mary was very much a paradox. On the one hand she was utterly convinced of her right to the throne and rarely changed her position once she had become fixed on it. On the other she conformed to many of the general cultural views of women. Personally she was chaste, modest and her marriage to Gaston, Count of Nantes was happy.
She had married early, and had produced a son at age fourteen. However, this young pregnancy caused her serious harm, and though her son Edward lived she was made almost permanently barren by it. This, among other reasons, partly accounts for her somewhat grim manner and relentless pursuit of her own goals.
As a ruler the relentless drive shown in other fields became almost all consuming. Queen Mary was in many ways a much more stereotypical ruler than her father, as though their personal attributes had been reversed. While Mary was neither especially brilliant academically or particularly charismatic she earned the respect, though not love, of her people by her relentless hard work.

901454HeirEdward.jpg

Of course, even after putting down pretenders the Queen found she had to deal with the otherwise entirely male court. Indeed, she was not allowed to even enter parliament until a law was passed admitting:
Those women of the blood royal
To speak.

911456DeVereShaken.jpg

In other areas the Queen undertook some vital reforms largely ignored by her father. The first was to cut reliance on continental points of trade and to establish London as the key city of all English possessions.

921456LondonCOT.jpg

941457DeathMerchant.jpg

961458SliderMoveMer.jpg

This naturally caused resentment, and many in parliament and outside demanded compensation from the Queen. Merchants and shipping agents based in Antwerp or elsewhere found themselves undercut. In typical style though the Queen utterly refused to change her stance.

971460NobleDemands.jpg

991462PoorPolicies.jpg

Finally, Mary’s reign saw the beginning of a series of tentative probes into the western seas. Spurred on by important nobles and even some privately funded explorers. One of these, Guy Clarence, petitioned the Queen to lead an expedition and found a colony in the western seas. It was known that Portugal had begun explorations of the African coast, and the promise of a short way to China on the western route offered considerable advantages. Thus in 1461 England begun its first tentative steps into the fog that was the western seas.

98NIChangeQFTNW.jpg

1001462FirstColony.jpg

Last edited:
So Queen Mary will rule for over 50 years and only have one son? I sense a change in dynasty (or at least a jump in generation) if Edward does not live to be over 60!

Good news, bad news regarding the EU3 engine there... it doesn't take into account the "Henry the Young King" syndrome, wherein an heir is left with squat to do, and eventually figures it out, but at the same time, there's nothing saying that, for instance, Edward couldn't wind up as her continental viceroy and develop in his own right.

And England beat Portugal to the Azores? How'd that happen???

I don't entirely get it - if Edward is the son of Mary I and some count, how come is he still a de Vere? Was the father from a different branch of the same dynasty? And about the event "de Vere is shaken": I guess that the grandson of Prince William will get a similar one when becomes a king :D

I don't normally reply between updates, but this is an important question that needs clarifying, as it comes up often in this story.

Arakhor: Indeed, but his children can become heirs in turn, which is indeed what will happen.
C0d5579: Yes. I invented my own family tree for this story, and often had to edit the save games to make it logical, or at least practical.
Momento Mori: She is the monarch, therefore HER name gets passed on. In the same way that Queen Victoria's children and QEII's children carry their titles. The Consorts are not the superior parties, thus their line is not passed on. Since descent can be passed through women in England and Great Britain the name continues. However, a daughter of a monarch who marries but are not reigning queen does change her name as usual - thus providing dynasty changes as you will eventually see. This is an important distinction when it comes to royalty.
Besides, Mary would NEVER accept it happening to her children.
And from a purely practical reason, the EU3 engine is...not sophisticated enough...to do royal families properly. Thus I'm left with this expedient. I think what I have here is historically sound.

Thanks for reading! :)