• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr. Capiatlist

Mademoiselle Gothique (she/her/hers)
88 Badges
Dec 4, 2003
nhkendall.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
Bastions
A story of a people drawing the line
an AAR by:
Mr. Capiatlist

|< << Book 2 >> >|

Table of Contents:
[anchorlink=anchor2]Skip to the awards and extras[/anchorlink]
Prologue Part 1: The Saxons
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

Prologue Part 2: The Prussians
15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Prologue Part 3: The Kings of Kings
24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39

Chapter Forty: A More Glorious Dawn
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Forty-One: Aeterna Rege Europa
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Forty-Two: Twilight in the East
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Forty-Three: Woes of an Empire
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Forty-Four: War and Peace
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Forty-Five: Quid Pro Quo
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Forty-Six: Loss and Inheritance
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Forty-Seven: Gathering an Army
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Epl.

Chapter Forty-Eight: The Queen of Cities
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Forty-Nine: Union
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 translations

Chapter Fifty: A King of Peasants
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifty-One: Toil and Woe
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifty-Two: Empire of Sand
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifty-Three: Shake-Down
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifty-Four: Pyrrhic Victories
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifty-Five: Jihad
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifty-Six: The Highlands
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifty-Seven: Germania
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifty-Eight: Darkness
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifty-Nine: Return to the Highlands
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty: Wall of Europe
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty-One: Crumble
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty-Two: Keystone
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty-Three: Worth and Wroth
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty-Four: Mercy
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty-Five: Incursion
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty-Six: Dusk
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty-Seven: Ebbing
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty-Eight: Persia Rises
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixty-Nine: The Cold Throne
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventy: The Army of the Willing
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventy-One: Flags of Battle
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventy-Two: The Cost of Victory
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventy-Three: Friendship
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventy-Four: Lesser Men
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventy-Five: Pettiness
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventy-Six: Fall from the Grace of Gods
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventy-Seven: The Cost of Defeat
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventy-Eight: The Brink
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Culture Updates:
The Prussians | The Azowians | The Britons | The French and Bretons | The Carthaginians | The Mords | The Cumani | The Sicilians | The Italians | The Germans | The Vasques
The Istimari | The Leonese | The Qurati | The Norse | The Romans and Bulgars | The Persians

[anchor=anchor2]Kings[/anchor]
House of Hwicce
Morcar the Exile Life: 1028-1073, Reign (as an exile): 1068-1073
Aethelweard the Conqueror Life: 1069-1122, Reign: (1073)1085-1122
Eadbert the Cruel Life: 1089-1160, Reign: 1122-1160
Gunvald the Handsome Life: 1127-1181, Reign: 1160-1181
Sviendorog the Lett Life: 1144-1204, Reign: 1181-1204
Meinekinus the Pious Life: 1167-1225, Reign: 1204-1225
Karnak the Gallant Life: 1206-1277, Reign: 1225-1269(1277)
Kiten the Green Gallant Life: 1235-1307, Reign: (1269)1277-1307
Vishly the Impaler Life: 1284-1356, Reign: 1307-1356
Gunvald II the Minter Life: 1310-1367, Reign 1356-1367
Doyvát I the Black Count Life: 1329-1389, Reign: 1367-1389
Doyvát II Sealegs Life: 1354- , Reign: 1389-

Extras
First glimpse of MMP map: Map 1
First glimpse of Religion: Map 2
First glimpse at the HRE: HRE Pic
First glimpse at the Prussian culture: Map 3
Prussian Lesson #1: Here
Prussian Lesson #2: Here
Leofricson Family Tree (as of 1180): Here
MEIOU France: Here
Prussian Lesson #3: Here
Video (watch mostly for the good music): Here
Sviendorog's story in English: Here
Prussian Lesson #4: Here
Prussian Lesson #5: Here
Prussian Lesson #6: Here
Prussian Lesson #7: Here
Grand Caliph Preview: Here
Preview of Asia: Here
Preview of the Isles: Here
PEIOU beta v.1: Here
PEIOU beta v.2: Here
Prussian Lesson #8: Here
Prussian Lesson #9: Here
Prussian Lesson #10: Here
The World in 1360: Here
Prussian Lesson #11: Here
Flags and Uniforms of Prussia 1826-2012: Here
Flags and Uniforms of Prussia End of Colonialism: Here
Prussian Lesson #12: Here
Immigration: Here
Bars and Mead: Here
Map of the Colonies: Here
Stability and Racial Make-Up of the Former Colonies: Here

Awards
Favorite Gameplay AAR, CK - 2009 Q1
Shared with:
The tale of CanAARias by kadvael56
He's the Prince of the Pronsk A YeAARly Chronicle by It's Amazing

Weekly Showcase - June 26th, 2009
Awarded by: General_BT of Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR

Best Character Writer of the Week - June 28th, 2009
Awarded by: Valhalla's Call of The Bagratunis - a GeorgiAAR

Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness - October 21st, 2009
Awarded by: Lord Strange

WritAAR of the Week - November 8th, 2009
Awarded by: KaiserMuffin of A light in the DAARkness, a KaisAARreich (Sovjet) RussiAAR

Best Character Writer of the Week - January 24th, 2010
Awarded by: Rebaltion of Unto Caesar: An Austrian AAR

Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - 2009 Q4

Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - 2010 Q2

Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - 2010 Q3
Shared with:
Britannia - A Saga of Albion by Vesimir
Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR by General_BT
The Machiavellian Adventures of Princess Eleanor by frogbeastegg

Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - 2010 Q4

WritAAR of the Week - May 1st, 2011
Awarded by: Issac Wolfe of I, Rodrigo: The Annals of the Orient

CrusadAAR's Chalice - 2010

Favorite Narrative AAR, EU - 2011 Q2
Shared with:
Novum Romanum Imperium by Avindian
The Sleeper by Iain Wilson

Best Character Writer of the Week - June 24th, 2012
Awarded by: Apelstav of The Curse of Brothers - The history of Alfonso the Wise and his descendants

Best Character Writer of the Week - September 16th, 2012

Third Place - 2012 EU AARland Choice Awards, Q3
Shared with:
Pine, Bamboo and Plum: A Song AAR by bananafishtoday

Last edited:
Hello everyone, if you don't already know me I am Mr.C and I am the author of Homelands, which is a long-arch mega campaign that is currently on its last King in the CK section. As expected, I am opening this thread so that interested readers can get to know the story, characters and history that has driven us this far before I start actual Bastion updates.

I will start tomorrow with one of 39 short up-dates in the prologue. The Prologue will be divided into 3 parts; The Saxons, The Prussians, and The Kings of Kings. Each update will sum up a chapter of Homelands, but I strongly urge you to read Homelands in its entirety for the full effect. At the top of the first post are for forward and back buttons, click either the previous "<<" or last "|<" symbols to be taken back to Homelands.

Bastion is planned to be about as long as Homelands, and will stretch from 1356 to 1545. It will be followed by a second EUIII AAR called Oceans which will be in a third thread. Lastly, after Bastions and Oceans is Ironworks which will be in the Vicky 2 section when the time comes.

tl;dr: Read Homelands, prologue updates to start tomorrow!

It has finally arrived.

Excellent. I am awaiting the first updates eagerly.

It has finally arrived.

Excellent. I am awaiting the first updates eagerly.

Thank you, I hope to impress. However, the 39 Prologue updates will not be normal updates. They will be shorter and more history-bookish. Chapter One, Part 1 will have the first real substance update.

Awesome. I'll be reading closely. First though, a question. Are you going to be releasing a mod for the EU3 portion of your AAR?

I did, sometime ago. It is for MEIOU-IN, it is called PEIOU. However, since I don't own HT I've never got around to updating it, sorry.

I'm drooling waiting for this. Can't wait to see the upcoming titanic fight that has to happen--Prussia versus the Caliphate!

I'm drooling waiting for this. Can't wait to see the upcoming titanic fight that has to happen--Prussia versus the Caliphate!
Welcome to the CK regulars. Wouldn't feel the same without you. :eek:o

Would the mod still work for HTTR, though? If it still works, then there might not be too much of a problem.
It might. I could have sworn there had been some changes in how certain things were formatted. It requires MEIOU, which I know the IN version is incompatible with HT.

39 prologues ?

Prologues to this part. 39 chapters of the CK campaign. ;)
Yes, as Vesimir said there is one update per chapter. If you look at Homelands, most chapters (after I hit my stride around chapter 15) are comprised of parts, usually 5 or 6. Each part is roughly 1200 words, each chapter usually no more than 7000 words. However, this fluctuates with how I am feeling as a writer. Chapter 34 in Homelands, the most recent, is rather long. No update is under 1400 words and the chapter came out over 7500 words long.

These prologue updates will be rather short, probably 500 to 1000 words long. They are meant to catch people up, not expand upon the already laid-down plot. For in depth catching up, there is always Homelands to read. ;)

Sounds Awesome!

looks absolutely amazing!

And of course welcome to new readers, I always enjoy getting people on board.

Bastions
Prologue One: The Saxons
Part 1

no se jurá kámáfán se ánglos wis próŝjá
From the sea came the Saxons to the shores of Prussia​

In 1066 a great disturbance began in England. Edward the Confessor lie dead and his heirs number more one could easily count or comprehend. Harold the Saxon, son of Godwin, was the choice for the natives of the Island. His bitter rival, William the Bastard, supported by the French and the Flemish, landed on peaceful England and began a war that would last for many ages. Morcar, Earl of Northumbria, saw that he had a very difficult choice to make. He could either remain in England and fight alongside his brother, or he could look for new lands to call his own. His advisors, many Danish natives to York, pushed Morcar to leave England and journey eastward into the Baltic Sea. The Earl's Marshal, Aethelstan, said that a land called "Prussia" lie at the base of a shallow sea and would make for a good home. In 1068 Morcar agreed to this plan and with some 100 ships and some 13,000 people (including 3,000 warriors) he left Northumbria depopulated. The Saxons spotted the lands they were seeking on October 11th, 1068. On the spot they landed, they built the first of the great Prussian cities: Marienscír, today Mariengrád

After a few years of peace, the Saxons were ready to expand, their numbers bolstered by the conquered natives. In 1070 they marched northward to fight against the league of the Sambians and the Samogitians. The war started when Saxon fishermen tried to start a small fishing community north of Mariengrád. This small settlement would eventually grow to be Samigrád, one of the three "sister cities" that line the Baltic Sea today. Once over, the Saxon's small nation had tripled in size and now controlled a major stretch of sea. In the northern reaches of their land they built a port fortress to help guard the newly gained lands. This would become Memelgrád, the future capital of one of the greatest Empires to ever exist.

While Morcar and his Saxons built their own realm, England fell into civil war. The Saxons of the north and west were unhappy with their new ruler and soon revolted. They hoped to put a Saxon back on the throne and asked Morcar to send help. Originally Morcar, who was sick and old, did not want to fight in what would have been a losing war. But urged by his brother, he commit to the war and sent as many soldiers as he could muster: some 8,000 men. These men left under the command of Aethelstan, who had gained much popularity in his defeat of the Sambians and Samogitians. In the first battle, the Saxons under Aethelstan attacked the Normans outside of Essex in the night, quickly gaining victory when others turned their back on it. But Phillip, King of France, sent 10,000 troops to help William, and this army combined with the remains of the Norman Essex army forces Aethelstan into a long series of retreats as he headed northward toward Northumbria.

Eventually Aethelstan and his Saxons managed to escape from the French army and found William's personal command on the border of Wales. These two armies played a game of cat and mouse until Aethelstan caught up with and defeated William outside of Nottingham. William's army was scattered, but the coward fled from battle and was not captured. In 1071 William rebuilt his army and brought an even bigger one now that he had joined with the French. This army gave chase to the Saxon armies, including Aethelstan's, all the way to York. There the Norwans laid siege to all the Saxons in a tiny city-state. At the end of 1071, Aethelstan surrendered and he and his Saxons left England. Later, in January of 1072, Morcar gave up all his claims to Northumbria, the Saxons of the East were truly free from their previous lives and were free to move on.

When Aethelstan returned to his liege he found him very ill. They were isolated here, lost between the Swedes and Danes to the north, Poland to the south, Russia to the east and Germany to the west. The Earl couldn't take the pressure any longer. So in April of 1073, after a long bout of illness and worsening conditions, Morcar the Exile died leaving his three year old son, Aethelweard, as Earl and Aethelstan as regent. Where the small nation would go from here was up to these two men as one of Prussia's most famous monarchs was groomed for combat and war.

1.png

Prussia in 1073.

I followed this in CK originally and did not realize it would be continued here and then beyond. Just as before, I'll be following it. Thank you for writing your part of it.

Looks very interesting. :)

This is going to be very unusual EU3 AAR, that's for sure! I hope you drive them Caliphs back to Africa and the Middle East!