• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As promised, here's your update!

~Part 11~
In which War is Pressed on
In late August a Genoese fleet was seen moving up the Dutch coast. 14 warships of varying size made their way to northwards to the Baltic Sea. Their goal was to eliminate Teutonic naval might in the region and to allow their army in Pommerania time to seize the forts.
They encountered a squadron of transport ships south of Denmark, and opened fire. The transports were routed and fled to port near Mecklenburg, where their passengers disembarked. 6000 infantry now marched to Hinterpommen, where the Genoese were amid a brutal assault on the south wall.
The garrison of Stettin was beset by foes, but valiantly managed to hold them off. For how long they did not know, but no word had come of assistance. The most recent attack on the walls had been repulsed, with few casualties on each side. The Pommeranian morale was at an all-time low, while many of the Italians laying siege longed to go home.
Suddenly, six thousand valiant Teutonic Knights charged the Genoese army, who immediately fell into a disorganised retreat. Cut off from any escape route, some men attempted to swim the Oder; while others gave up their arms in surrender. The massacre was brief, but decisive. Almost 5000 Italians were slain in the bloody relief of besieged Stettin, with minimal casualties.
Out at sea, eleven Teuton galleys engaged the larger Genovese armada. The battle raged for days, as cross-winds and poor weather prolonged any engagements. The transport fleet, repaired in dock, now sailed out to assist in the fight.
The 6000 men who had been victorious in Pommerania now started the long march north to Novgorod. The Knyaz himself, Graviil Kashin, was suffering defeat at the hands of the Teutons and their allies in Ingermanland. His 8000 men took casualties in the engagement, and were forced to retreat. Three thousand more troops of the Rus' 10th Army arrived to see a disorderly rout, as the Novgorodians fled the field. Believing the Pommeranian King, Barnim VI, to have a far larger army than they had been told, the 10th Army immediately turned about and led the retreat as fast as possible.
ingermanland.jpg

Victory at Lake Peipus
Meanwhile, as more and more good reports were received of the war, the Hochmeister allied himself with the Saxons, a Teutonic vassal. The Bishop, Freidrich Christian, gladly accepted the offer of a fellow theocratic state; exclaiming: "See how kind these Teutones are? They conquer us, yet wish for our friendship! A good ruler is this Albrecht."
Unfortunately, most of Europe disagreed - the Order had accrued a horrendous reputation, and many nations despised them for their unceasing wars.
The engagement in the Southern Baltic ended in defeat for the Teutons. Many warships were lost, with little to show for the months-long campaign. The Order's council agreed that the Teutonic army had successfully built up a force to "Fend off an attack from the pagan Liths and Livs", and that a new fleet was needed to replace the lost vessels. The Hochmeister sent a diplomat calling for a truce with Genoa. It was rejected.
The Teutons now poured all their effort into the complete extermination of the Russian armies. Neva was besieged, and the Knyaz immediately began barring their markets to Teuton merchants. More and more troops marched across the frontier into western Russia. Novgorod would rue the day they defeated the Teutonic knights at Peipus.

It seems that the Teutons will be better able to defeat those pesky Novgorodians if the Hochmeister would still allow for army expansion. But, I suppose replacing the losses in the naval fleet is still a good option. Having a good navy when you have enemies anywhere in Italy is normally a sound plan haha :D

It seems that the Teutons will be better able to defeat those pesky Novgorodians if the Hochmeister would still allow for army expansion. But, I suppose replacing the losses in the naval fleet is still a good option. Having a good navy when you have enemies anywhere in Italy is normally a sound plan haha :D
Finance is the real problem here, and you'd faint if you saw my war exhaustion and BB which has just hit the ceiling.
Wow.

So many updates! How will I be able to keep up? :p
Well, most dead people are keeping up just as fast. ;)

Yay, it's back! :D Crush those puny Russians!

Hooray...you didn't lose you touch. Well written.

Yay, it's back! :D Crush those puny Russians!
Rest assured, I intend to! :D
The ever-victorious Drang nach Osten continues.
I hope you find time and 'bock' to update this. :p
Funnily enough, I don't think I have yet kept to my aims for this AAR. :rolleyes:

A second update has been written (surprisingly), I'm just waiting a few days so that I don't run out of stuff to post again. :p
Hooray...you didn't lose you touch. Well written.
High praise from a writer such as yourself.:D Glad you're enjoying it Range. :)

Finance is the real problem here, and you'd faint if you saw my war exhaustion and BB which has just hit the ceiling.

Somehow, someway, I explicitly believe you 100% when you say this hahahaha :rofl:

Sometime soon I'll put up pictures and maps of my country and its stats. Make sure you've got a cushioned floor for when you fall out of your chair. ;)

~Part 12~
In which Combat is Closed
With the sieges on the Russian front won by the Pommeranians and Teutons, and the Novgorodian armies in retreat, the war looked to be soon over. The Knyaz led several assaults on the Teutonic positions, but all were beaten back with great ferocity on both sides.
As the Curia received more and more messages of Catholic victories in the east, the Pope became very interested in the frontiers of Christendom; it was said in courts across Europe that that the Pope was controlled by Albrecht I, so swayed was he by the Hochmeister's opinions.
The Genoese fleets had suppressed those of the Order, but their armies were annihilated. Engaged in war elsewhere, and knowing full well that they could not achieve victory through strength of arms, they sent demands to the Hochmeister, insisting on the surrender of thousands of ducats and Danish freedom. The Teutons could not afford the former and would never even consider the latter, so the war continued. Only in name, however, as neither side could spare troops to engage the other.
The Wendish peasants were struggling under the burden of unending war, and made their protests heard when eleven thousand men rose up and besieged the capital of the province. A messenger rode to the army on the Russian frontier (the only one near enough to assist) and urgently requested aid against the patriotic Slavs. When the commanders heard of the rising, they sent a force of four thousand Teutonic Knights. We know of the battle that ensued from the Chronicle of Henry of Livonia*. It tells how the army rode hard on the road, "and three days later they came after dinner, in the evening, with all their army. They rushed upon [the Wends] in five places and fought with them without warning." The outcome of this battle was clear - the entire peasant army was destroyed, and the horsemen rode back to Neva.
Believing the threat of an uprising to be gone, the armies now marched on the capital of Novgorod itself. Reports from the frontier told the Hochmeister that the smaller Teutonic force had defeated the Knyaz's 15000-strong garrison, though this figure was probably exaggerated and closer to 7000. Either way, the siege progressed slowly, and the Knights were caught off guard when an army of some 8000 men or more descended on the siege camp and all but crushed their army. The Teutons fled in disarray, retreating to Neva and Ingermanland. It can be said that the Hochmeister's wish, to 'carry the Declaration of War straight to Novgorod's gates, at the head of a victorious army', had not been fulfilled - but, in a way, it had.
The Genovese continued to demand the freedom of Denmark for peace, but the Order refused. Foreseeing an unending back-and-forth of ultimata, Albrecht offered to release the Saxon bishopric instead. The Italians, though dismayed, accepted.
Now without friends to assist them, the Rus offered a peace with the Teutons. Reportedly, the Hochmeister laughed when the message was read aloud to him. However, he knew that his armies were all but gone and that he could not press on into the Novgorodian heartlands, so he issued his own demands. Novgorod was to cede the frontier provinces of Neva and Ingermanland, a demand which they were practically forced to agree to. In addition, a hefty sum of 125 ducats were taken as reparations for the damages inflicted during the war.

victorynovgorod.jpg

The Peace treaty accepted by the Knyaz of Novgorod​

------------------------------

*This is an actual historical quote, from the book cited. The only difference between the text above and the actual book is that it speaks of Danes being attacked by Lithuanians; not Wends by Teutons. I love having real sources to coose from. :D

Wends are West-Slavs living near the Polish-German border... Wendish peasants would mean something else...
Letts?
Hang on, isn't that Wendland or something in my eastern provinces? Where are Wends from? :confused:

Oh, and I've added a Table of Contents to the 1st post; now I won't repeat my titles (as I'm sure I would have eventually. :p)

Hang on, isn't that Wendland or something in my eastern provinces? Where are Wends from? :confused:

Oh, and I've added a Table of Contents to the 1st post; now I won't repeat my titles (as I'm sure I would have eventually. :p)

The Wends were a group of tribes that extended from Holstein (which was mostly danish, but still) to Danzig, if I remember correctly. I believe Pomerania still has the Pomeranian culture, which is basically Wendish.

This AAR continues to get better...but, be weary of the men from the North. They could prove to be a great ally, or a foe that could bring your downfall.

This AAR continues to get better...but, be weary of the men from the North. They could prove to be a great ally, or a foe that could bring your downfall.
Well, I have become a bit infamous across Europe... gonna let it calm down, then I'll go for my Imperial ambitions.

Ay, you've returned to this AAR! Excellent! (Time to read again!) :cool: