• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
93. 1869-1880 - Closing the Session
Senators,

Given the contentiousness of the question, We shall not create a progressive tax system at this time. However, We will strive to at least create a flat tax instead of the current highly regressive tax system.

We will also continue to expand the industry so that all citizens of the Empire might find employment to provide for themselves and their families.

We are also appointing all Senators as governors of various regions for the next five year period, as such: ((note: this is for roleplaying purposes only ))
(North) Africa - Alexios Damaskinos
Armenia - Julian Leon
Asia - Constantine Panaretos
Britannia - Andronikos Palaiologos
Dalmatia - Mikael Moustakas
Egypt - Marcos Alexandros
Macedonia - Ioannes Angelos
Naples - Nestorius Septiadis
Raetia - Columba Comminus
Sicily - Alexander Smithereens
Syria - Alexios Doukas

Brittany - Στήβεν Γκρέυ
Italy - Leonardo Favero
Spain - Nicodemo Theodosio​
Once these five years have passed, We will reevaluate who should be governors where.

The following ministries have been filled:
Foreign minister - Senator Moustakas
Minister of security - Senator Doukas
Minister of intelligence - Senator Favero​
But there are several more that need filling:
Armament minister
Chief of Staff
Chief of the Army
Chief of the Navy

We are also creating a General Staff, headed by Prince Alvértos. All Senators are invited to participate in the military planning.

Finally, We will order for a census to be undertaken, and the results shared with the Senate as soon as it is complete.

Senators, thank you for your time.

(( Okay, here's how the general staff works (the rules are also on the second post):

1. The mod and the save from the latest update will be publicly provided (via gitHub), with the link on the forum thread for the AAR. Download here.
2. For those unable to load the mod + save, strategic information will be provided by me on request.
3. Anyone who has created a character is eligible to participate.
4. Characters may propose battle plans covering what to do with a war with any given nation.
a. The plans must include a text description of what to do.
b. The plans may also include an in-game battle-plan using the Victoria 2 tools.
c. The plan should have a name, and be attributed to the creator(s) (using their in-character names)
5. Plans may only be proposed between the opening of a Senate session and the session being closed (see the normal flow of a round of updates, as demonstrated on the table of contents).
6. The Empress (played by me) can accept proposed plans.
7. Plans that have not been accepted can be returned to the Senate (for instance, if I think they're lacking in some detail, or multiple people propose plans for the same nation and I want a merged plan, I can ask for the proposed plans to be updated).
8. If a plan has been accepted, I must make a best-faith effort to follow the plan in event of war with the specified nation.
9. Only one plan for war with a specified country can be accepted at a time.
10. Plans cannot specify the creation of new armies, troops, ships, etc. Those kinds of requests should be made via the Senate, and put no actual requirements on the Empress (played by me).
11. Plans can specify mobilization, but those kinds of plans are unlikely to be accepted.

As I'm announcing this at the end of a session, and there is a special out of order census post coming, you may submit your plans between now and then. If you have any questions, do not be afraid to ask. ))

Last edited:
I thank the Empress greatly for this appointment, I do hope that the governance of other regions can be transferred to their cultural kin reasonably soon however. I shall govern Hispania to the absolute best of my ability; I shall also seek to end the worrying faction that is seeking a return of a Castilian kingdom that we saw in the rebel census.

I would offer my services as Chief of Staff, if the Empress sees it fit. I would see the worrying trend of corruption amongst government officials ended. I offer myself because I am as of yet, uncorrupted by the various factions that seek to buy influence rather than earn it. Unlike most senators, who live lives of leisure in this wonderful city, I live in a modest townhome I share with my wife and son, and all income that is not needed to take care of them or myself I donate to the soup kitchens here in the City of Cities.

You have my solemn vow, that if I am granted the position, I will use it to forward your will. Regardless of my political beliefs, the corruption and excess shown by many bureaucrats needs to end, and I would seek to end it. I may prefer the working bureaucrat to the aristocrat who inherits their position, but corruption among either is unacceptable. The citizens of this Empire should work for the glory of the Empire and all its people, rather than their own personal greed.

As for military matters, while I served in the legion in my youth, it was not out of choice, rather it was to provide for my family. I am your loyal sword should you need it, and will advise to the best of my ability, but I do not know about the wisdom of any territorial expansion given the internal problems we face. Nevertheless, I am committed to serve you, and will provide any council you wish of me.

~Nicodemo Theodosio

Reactions:
I thank you, My Empress, for allowing me to continue to serve as Governor of Italy as my father did before me. I will ensure that the region remains quiet and prosperous.

- Senator Leonardo Favero

Reactions:
Thank You Empress for such glorious title that is Governor. You won't be disappointed, I'll make sure of that.

- Senator Alexios Damaskinos

(( Do we need to do something as Governors? Include some informations about our governorship in Senate sessions? Or is it just a title? ))

Reactions:
"You have my great thanks, Megali Basilissa. The Angeloi will not disappoint the Crown."

To Theodosio, he says, "perhaps you should retire to a monastery and sing the praises of God each day. It might suit your delicate temperament better than this place of worry and stress."

~ Ioannes Angelos

Reactions:
"You have my great thanks, Megali Basilissa. The Angeloi will not disappoint the Crown."

To Theodosio, he says, "perhaps you should retire to a monastery and sing the praises of God each day. It might suit your delicate temperament better than this place of worry and stress."

~ Ioannes Angelos

I assure the Senator that I am quite happy with my work here, I may not have accomplished everything I set out to do yet, but I am causing change.

I would remind the Senator of a certain quote of our Lord: "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

~Nicodemo Theodosio

Reactions:
"We are all the product of wealth, senator, and some of us of good breeding. Let's not pretend that you are truly representative of the working classes you profess to love so much."

Reactions:
Thank you, Your Imperial Highness, for appointing me as Governor of Syria. I have served there in my youth, and I shall maintain the peace there efficiently.

~Senator Alexios Doukas, Doux of Greece and Governor of Syria

Reactions:
to his excellency
I would like to become the chief of the navy as well as continue to be governor of Sicily my experience as governor of this province has given me the knowledge necessary to lead our navy to victory and rule the sea.

Alexander Smithereens

Reactions:
((Nicolo, your bio says that you are the son of a successful businessman from Spain. As such, the businessman presumably had the money to provide you with a decent upbringing and a proper Greek education, even if he was "only" a rural merchant from the colonies.))

Reactions:
((Nicolo, your bio says that you are the son of a successful businessman from Spain. As such, the businessman presumably had the money to provide you with a decent upbringing and a proper Greek education, even if he was "only" a rural merchant from the colonies.))

((Oh crap I mixed up characters again, sorry about that, deleted that post as it was incorrect and not in character))

Reactions:
Ioannes, Thedosio give it a rest you to you are beginning to make my brain hurt the way you to go at each other. There are times when I find myself wondering "Is it those two eminent senators at it again? Or have the Blues and Greens started yet another civil war? have you ever asked yourselves why half of us bring earmuffs to the senate even in July? Well now you know.

Augusta Magna.
I accept my appointment as the Governor of the province of Reatia it is my sincerest hope that I shall serve your Imperial Majesty and the Empire well.
Before I leave I would like to inquire on behalf of my fellow Governors precisely what territories we will be expected to govern as areas within our respective provinces. So as to avoid any confusion or unfortunate misunderstanding in the coming years.

-Columba Comminus

((so that you all know Thioridh an-drasta is Gealic (pronounced Gallic (Scottish)) for see you later.))

Reactions:
((I'm really enjoying reading this. I'd like to join as a senator. Also, if I can make a request, what are the political affiliations of all of the senators again? By the number in each party.))

Let it be known that despite any grievances some may have of my background and history, that I am fully and completely committed to the realm and Her Majesty, the Empress of Rome, Veronica Doukas. May she reign forever.

My goals have always been clear and though some have painted me in a foul light, I have no fear of them. I do my duty for the service of the Empire as I always have. To prove that my goals are just and that I am honest with you all, my peers, I lay them in the light before you.

1. That the Doukas Family rule for all time.
2. That the privilege of a voice be given in the form of a vote to all adult citizens of the Empire.
3. That citizenship rights be given to all.
4. That the dignities and the betterment of the citizens be continued to be put before all else.

((Introduction of character and some backstory))

((Name: Heraclius Komnenos
Birthdate: September 20th, 1841, in Constantinople
Party Affiliation: Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ (XKM)- Liberal Party
Biography: Born of the son of an influential noble in his townhouse in Constantinople. The Komnenos family traces it's lineage back over an 800 years in it's genealogical records and it's well known that the family traveled with Constantine when he founded Constantinople. Heraclius grew up much like many young nobles. He lived in the city with occasional trips to the countryside and ancestral lands. He was a restless young man, however, constantly traversing the city and engaging with it's lower classes. He consorted with merchants, blacksmiths, cooks, and others. His experience constantly left him impressed by the intellect that the people showed and the diligence they showed in a cruel life. He entered Constantinople's University and studied the humanities (One of the few Greeks in the department!) and philosophy. He was impressed by the political and ideological thoughts produced there and became adamant in his support for more liberal political policies. However, he maintained that the Roman Empire held a special place in human affairs. That the government should be reformed with universal suffrage for all people and a political body that reflected the population. However, he believed that the head of state and head of government should be the Doukas Imperial Family. They have restored the empire and have shown judgment and foresight, as well as the benefits of the stability, decisiveness, and swiftness of action that this gives to the government. After his graduation from University, Heraclius joined the military and remained in service progressing through the ranks till a year ago. In the last year, Heraclius has been influential in forming and directing political movements that are demanding a degree of democracy. When his father died, he left to him a position in the Senate which was greatly disputed amongst his siblings. (They didn't want to be connected to a person they thought of as a radical.) He joined the Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ (XKM) because of their similarities on core values, however, he supports a more interventionist foreign policy than is normal party line.

Basically, a Prussian Constitutionalist who advocates Free Trade, Interventionism, Pluralism, Full Citizenship, Anti-Military. On social reforms, he supports some safety regulations and high education. He may, if he feels the people strongly support it, support a low minimum wage or work hours. ))

Edit: changed party and added a bit about party connection

Last edited:
Reactions:
((I'll point you towards posts #2 & 3 in this thread.))

Reactions:
(( Ah thanks. How embarrassing to have missed that. Tough choice on the liberal parties. It would un-Roman to be a pacifist. I think I'll go with Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ (XKM) they're under-represented. ))

Reactions:
Thank you, Empress! Your benevolence and generosity has been shown with this gracious assignment. I will immediately take up my assignment as governor of Britannia!

((Shouldn't governors be called proconsuls or propraetors? Also, here are three useful maps: Old map https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_province#/media/File:Augusto_30aC_-_6dC_55%CS_jpg.JPG

Newer, more accurate map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_province#/media/File:Roman_Empire_125_political_map.png

And a nother map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_province#/media/File:RomanEmpire_117.svg

I understand we do not have enough senators to fill every province so you can combine provinces and make NPC characters to temporarily fill the posts.))

Reactions:
(( Ah thanks. How embarrassing to have missed that. Tough choice on the liberal parties. It would un-Roman to be a pacifist. I think I'll go with Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ (XKM) they're under-represented. ))
((You're the party president since you're the first senator in the party :p. Good luck with that.))

Reactions: