• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

zenphoenix

Field Marshal
61 Badges
Mar 4, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Beijing, 1926

A small group of soldiers advance through the early morning, carrying German rifles. They advance on the Forbidden City stealthily, the sleeping inhabitants unaware of their impending doom.
With ease they scale the walls of the former imperial palace using grappling hooks. One guard notices them, but it is too late, as another commando ambushes him from behind and strangles him.
Now nothing can stop the soldiers from reaching their main target--dictator and "president" Yuan Shi-Kai of the Chinese Republic.
Behind them, reinforcements arrive. The soldiers open the Tiananmen Gates and let in a small light tank. The noise from this machine is large enough to fully wake up the inhabitants, and chaos breaks out.
As the guards scramble to their senses, the commandos shoot them down with silenced rounds and run toward the living quarters, where they find the dictator still in his bed, guarded by four Mongol bodyguards. The soldiers immediately shoot down the Mongols and aim their weapons at Yuan, who puts up his hands in defeat. Surprisingly, the soldiers don't shoot him down on the spot. Instead, they make way for another man, a younger man with a moustache. Yuan recognizes him on the spot by his uniform.
"
General Chiang Kai-Shek," says Yuan, "I didn't expect you to show up at a time like this."
"
Give up, Yuan," Chiang replied, "It's all over. The facade of a republic no longer needs to be maintained."
"
What are you going to do, proclaim yourself president? As if you were as skilled a politician as I was!" Yuan laughed.
Chiang struck him with the butt of his rifle. "
Oh, I'm not going to install a true democracy, at least not me..."
He leaned towards Yuan, who was by now trembling in his bed.
"
The Celestial Emperor and the Kaiser would like to have a word with you."
2015-05-21_00005.jpg

(Pardon the bad description, it's a custom event.)

This is my first AAR, playing as the Republic of China, which I began a couple months ago. I used some console commands as I was not expecting to make this an AAR, so please bear with me. I'm using the Kaiserreich mod, which like the Darkest Hour mod has the Central Powers win the First World War.

----
Table of Contents:

In-game portion:
0. The Republic of China Today (1921-1926)
1. The Northern Expedition (January 1, 1926)
2. Restoration (1926-1933)
3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 The Second Weltkrieg (1933-1934)
4. Peace in Our Time (1934-1939)
5, 5.1. The First War of Revenge against Japan (1939-1940)
6. Anschluss and a Funeral (1940-1941)
7. The Second War of Revenge against Japan (1941-1945)
8. The Pacific War (1945-1949)
9, 9.1. The Third Weltkrieg (1949-1950)
10. The Third War of Revenge against Japan (1950-1954)
11. The Fourth and Final War of Revenge against Japan (1954-1958)
12. The Workers' Avalon (1958)
13 The Oriental Crisis, Part 1 (February 28, 1959)
14. The Oriental Crisis, Part 2 (February 28, 1959)
15. Chang'e, Part 1 (1961)
16. Chang'e, Part 2 (1961)
17. Chute de pluie (1962-1965)
18. Chang'e, Part 3 (1964)
19. The Wars against Italy (1965-1966)
20. The Occidental Crisis (1966)
21. Asgard (1967-1971)
21.5. The world in 1971 (1971)
22. There can only be one (1972-1973)
23. The Italy-Greece War of Conquest (1973-1974)
24. The Fifth Weltkrieg, Part 1 (1974)
25. The Fifth Weltkrieg, Part 2 (1975-1976)
26. Phoenix (1976)
27. The Cherokee Wars (1976)
28. Chang'e, Part 4 (1976)
29. End of the Third American Civil War (1976-1979)
30. The American Invasion of Canada (1979-1982)

"Epilogue" 1:
The Falklands War (1982-1983)
Cold War (1983-1989)
Tiananmen (1989)
Downfall (1991)
After the End (1991-1992)
Insurgency (1993)
Reconciliation and a Funeral (1994)
Sternentor (1994)
Millennium (1995-1999)
Putin (2000)
Darkest Hour (2001-2004)

The Sixth Weltkrieg:
The fall of Africa, the Middle East, and Southern Europe (2004-2005)
The fall of Germany (2005)
The fall of China (2005-2006)
The fall of Earth (2006)
Prelude to War, Part 1 (2006)
Prelude to War, Part 2 (2006)

Last edited:
Reactions:
subbed

Did that mod ever go back to being developed? Last I saw, it hadn't been touched for months.

Nope, sadly. I however added a couple custom events for China to make up for the single Chinese-specific event.

Reactions:
I'm curious to see where you will go with this! Subbed.

I've heard bits and pieces about the Kaiserreich mod, but I had no idea there was one for Victoria II.

Looks like the emperor is getting restored instead of deposed here. :D

I see you are in war with Soviet Russia
Almost a complete accident, for reasons I will explain once I get there. Also one of the times I used console commands in an attempt to prevent the story from derailing, as I had a lot planned out in my head while playing.

Prologue: The End of the World (1914-1921)

Kaiser Wilhelm II didn't particularly like trains. However, this was that of General von Hindenberg, so he couldn't complain (yet). The train was sitting in the middle of the Teutoburg Forest, where centuries ago his ancestors had defeated the Roman legions.
Sitting across from him was the French president, who was staring at the surrender terms lying on the table in front of him. And he obviously looked very, very mad.
He recalled what had happened in the last few years. In 1914 the heir to the Habsburg empire in Austria-Hungary was assassinated by a Serbian terrorist, and the crisis immediately escalated into a terrifying war, the likes of which nobody had seen before and nobody wanted to see again, especially himself. After four years of chaotic stalemate, during which millions on both sides were killed for almost no gain, the Prussian High Command, getting desperate, played its last card--the Hundred Days Offensive, so called because in a hundred days the renewed German push had broken through the trenches, and by the hundred and first day the German tricolor flew over the Eiffel Tower. The United States attempted to join the war in 1917 after a stint involving the Lusitania, a telegram, and Mexico, but even their armies could not stop the German onslaught.
By 1919, governments were being toppled everywhere. The Germans sent Vladimir Lenin to Moscow to successfully destabilize the Russian Empire, which disintegrated in 1917 and was in the grip of civil war two years later between a democratic White faction and the communist Red faction. The French army mutinied in 1918, the Italians agreed to an armistice on November 4, and the Ottomans held the Greek government hostage. The Americans and Japanese quietly withdrew from the war after Germany agreed to cede a few insignificant Pacific islands to Japan and America succumbed to isolationism. With revolution on all fronts, the French government agreed to a surrender.

"William--" said the French president, bringing the kaiser back to his senses.
"That's Kaiser Wilhelm the Second, damn it!" Wilhelm replied. "Now sign the armistice!"
The president looked up at Wilhelm, making eye contact. "You know very well that if I sign this document, the French people will not stay down for long. They will depose me, yes, but they will replace me with a new leader, one more capable than me, and they will have revanche--revenge."
With that, the president signed the armistice, and the First Great War was over.
Wilhelm later sighed, thinking that peace was finally here.

Armistice Terms:
France will renounce all claims on the Reich province of Elsaß-Lothringen. France will cede Madagascar to Germany. France will cede all of Vietnam to Germany but retain control of Cambodian territories.
Britain will cede all colonial territories between Sudan and South Africa to Germany, which will arrange a colonial government named "Mittlelafrika" to manage the place. Britain will cede Guyana to Germany.
The Allied Powers recognize the terms of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, in which Russia ceded Poland, Lithuania, Estonia and other Baltic states, and Ukraine to Germany, which will reorganize them into three puppet states.
All of the Allied Powers (except America and Japan) will pay harsh reparations to Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire. Their armies will be cut down by 50 percent, and no new armies can be constructed.
The Ottoman Empire will seize all lands in Anatolia, the Levant, and Arabia not belonging to Yemen, Oman, and Abu Dhabi. Greece will be reorganized into a semiautonomous puppet of the Ottomans.

With terms like these, Wilhelm thought to himself, how could another devastating war possibly break out?
By 1920, fascist governments had taken over France and Italy, and Austria-Hungary was forced to undergo drastic decentralization. Still, Germany was the most powerful nation in the world...for now.

Chapter 0: Childhood (1921-1926)

2015-05-15_00004.jpg
Victoria Wong was born in Beijing on January 1, 1921--at least that's what her parents wrote on the birth certificate. Her father, a soldier in one of the Republic's Green Standard Armies, wanted to brag in his advanced years how the birth of his daughter resulted in President Yuan Shi-Kai's declaration of war against the warlord in Manchuria.
2015-05-15_00003.jpg

The official story was that Yuan was out drinking and partying, as usual, when he decided on the moment that the Manchurians rightfully belonged under his rule.
2015-05-15_00005.jpg

The Manchurians were busy training with Republican forces when the declaration of war came. As such, they were completely unprepared for battle. The Republican forces immediately opened fire on them, and only a few managed to escape the bloodbath.
(OOC: The Manchurian units are in the same location as the Republican units.)

Meanwhile, in America, the economy soared higher than ever.
2015-05-15_00013.jpg

In the meantime, Victoria's father read a few interesting things in the newspaper:
2015-05-15_00014.jpg

2015-05-15_00015.jpg

In just months, Manchuria fell, as did the Guangxi Clique soon after; the Republic's armies weren't ranked sixth in the world for nothing. The Republic was well on the way to reunifying China. In the meantime, Italy and the Ottoman Empire contested the spot of eighth most powerful and prestigious nation in the world.

Using captured weaponry and infrastructure from the wars of reconquest as well as the prestige from the victories, President Yuan decided to enact sweeping reforms calling for more industrialization.
2015-05-15_00022.jpg

Once Guangxi and Manchuria were fully annexed into the Republic, Yuan turned his eyes west.
2015-05-15_00025.jpg

Yunnan was the next to feel the wrath of Yuan. In a year, the warlord was thoroughly defeated.
2015-05-15_00029.jpg

Again using the popularity gained from the war, Yuan called for another reform to further industrialize the nation. This was enough for the rest of the world to finally consider China as a "civilized nation."
2015-05-15_00030.jpg

Immediately following this was a scientific revolution which swept through the countryside, with scientists discovering the ideas of nationalism and how to build automobiles, better telephones, and mortars. No longer will China have to import all of these things from the Western barbarians!

Yunnan was allied to Qinghai, which fought against the Republic in vain. Yuan had miscalculated. Now he had a truce with the warlord state. He decided to honor it...for now. In the meantime, tensions rose in Mongolia, oil was found in Alberta, and the Russian Whites accepted an alliance agreement, as they were a fellow republic. The Republic decided to send subsidies so that they could last longer against the Soviets.
2015-05-15_00042.jpg
2015-05-15_00043.jpg
2015-05-19_00001.jpg
2015-05-19_00008.jpg

On August 7, 1924, Yuan changed his mind about Qinghai and immediately attacked.
2015-05-19_00016.jpg

A week later, newspapers in Europe have begun referring to China as a "Great Power," to which the prime minister of Japan laughs.

2015-05-19_00017.jpg

But all was not well in Asia. On October 3, the Whites finally surrendered to the Soviets, prompting an Anglo-Japanese invasion.

2015-05-19_00028.jpg

2015-05-19_00029.jpg

At some point, France underwent a communist revolution and became the French Commune. In early 1925, Yuan Shi-Kai dissolved the political party bearing his name, stating that he didn't like the idea of political parties. Two months later, the war against Qinghai was over, with the Republic victorious yet again. Almost immediately, Yuan gave the order to finish off the last independent warlord state, Xinjiang.
2015-05-19_00040.jpg

2015-05-19_00042.jpg

By the end of September, there was no Xinjiang.

Meanwhile, Japan decided to enact a "Peace Preservation Law," despite being at war with the Soviets and the French, who managed to invade and occupy Kobe for a time before the Soviets gave in and ceded Sakhalin.
In December, one day after the winter solstice, Yuan noticed that the Mongolians were no longer protected by the Soviets, and immediately declared war to "restore order." However, he had miscalculated yet again, and the Soviets joined the war against China the next day ((they were sphere leader for Mongolia)). Panicking, Yuan ordered the entire Republican army to march towards Ulaanbaatar and hold the Mongol government hostage before the Soviets arrive in large numbers, knowing very well that it would be a massacre to engage the Soviet forces directly.

Then, the day after Victoria's fifth birthday, Chiang Kai-Shek marched into the Forbidden City, at the head of the Northern Expedition. The Beiyang government was no more. The question was, what would replace it?

Attachments

• 2015-05-19_00024.jpg
    2015-05-19_00024.jpg
    367,7 KB · Views: 218
  • 2015-05-19_00027.jpg
    2015-05-19_00027.jpg
    422,1 KB · Views: 216
  • 2015-05-19_00026.jpg
    2015-05-19_00026.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 210
  • 2015-05-19_00030.jpg
    2015-05-19_00030.jpg
    397,2 KB · Views: 207
I've heard bits and pieces about the Kaiserreich mod, but I had no idea there was one for Victoria II.

Looks like the emperor is getting restored instead of deposed here.

Yeah, it's good as it is, but it's not completely fleshed out yet. There are a bunch of missing events that the author never got to (resulting in a Mao Zedong event chain which only has the starting event and being the only Chinese-exclusive event), and the author stated his intent to add Cold War bloc mechanics but never had time for that. I'd suggest the Darkest Hour version, although I never played it.

As for the emperor, I added in that event and a couple others for RP purposes. He was still deposed in 1911 as in real life, but Yuan didn't die in 1915, and Chiang has plans for him...

It was a good party while it lasted. Then the Guomingdang replaced him.

(Silence)
I'm currently on mobile so there won't be any pictures (for now). Anyways, here's the next part of the story...

Beijing, January 2, 1926 (after the coup)
Yuan was led into one of the old throne rooms which had been hastily converted into a conference room, complete with second-hand discussion table and some chairs imported from the British Raj.
Chiang took a seat next to the head of the table, where nobody sat yet. His soldiers motioned with their rifles to the dictator to sit down across from Chiang, on the other side of the chair.
"
Why don't you sit in that chair? After all, you're in control," said Yuan.
Chiang laughed. "
Me? In control? Hardly. I'm merely a general, carrying out my orders."
He leaned over the tabletop. "
You want to know who really is in control? The Kaiser. He's the most powerful man in the world. His word is law."
A soldier handed Chiang some papers with typewriting on them. "All I wanted to do was to get rid of that corrupt Beiyang regime. Do you even imagine how much the people have suffered to fulfill your desires? The invasion of Mongolia was the last straw. I want to get rid of that mad Baron as much as you do, but I would not have invaded if I knew I was going to bring the Soviets down on top of us!"
Yuan read the telegrams. One was in German, and the other was in English. The German one called for the restoration of the emperor Heinrich to his throne, whoever he was. The English one demanded an American-style democracy under Sun Yat-sen. "
If you replace me with a true democracy, you're only going to make the problem worse. The people can't handle self-rule. Only a strongman can hold China together and prevent civil war."
"
You're right, mister Yuan," replied Chiang, "But I never intended on listening to the Americans."
At that moment, a young man in a business suit walked into the room and sat down in the empty chair, and Yuan immediately recognized him. He realized who "Heinrich" was.
"
No! Not him! He and his family are the reason we're in this mess!" Yuan protested.
"
What choice do we have? He's the better option at this point," Chiang replied.
Puyi, the former Xuantong Emperor, looked at Yuan. "
General Chiang is right. As of this moment, I--no, We--are in control. And by the power that Heaven has graciously restored to Us, We hereby strip you of all titles and ranks. Leave the Imperial Palace within the hour, and never return."
"NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

Last edited:
Reactions:
I was wondering where Pu-Yi was given that you kept referring to Yuan. Also, this chapter contradicts the prologue.

Also, this chapter contradicts the prologue.
I meant for the discussion and the reveal of Puyi to take place after the coup and the scene where Chiang attacks the Forbidden City.

Reactions:
Chapter 1: Restoration, Part 1 (1926-1933)

With Yuan Shi-Kai stripped of his power, Puyi began a crackdown on anyone opposing his rule and powerful enough to challenge him. The corrupt were hit first and hardest. Imperial troops--the rebranded armies of the Republic, now supplied and trained by German advisors--marched into the villas of decadent politicians and generals, rounding them up and sending them off to Manchuria for "re-education." The assets seized went into the treasury and the military stockpiles.

The Chinese government underwent intense restructuring to better resemble the German imperial government in terms of organization and efficiency. For one, the nation was referred to as the "Chinese Empire," not the "Empire of China," both to mirror the German Empire and flip the middle finger at Japan. The head of state and government was Puyi, of course, but he was addressed in public as the Xuantong Emperor or simply "Your Majesty." The newly created position of Chancellor was effectively the Republic's old presidency and was a position appointed by Puyi from a talent pool of ostensibly the most talented candidates from the provinces. The Chancellor was supposed to advise the Emperor on matters of the state; if the Emperor is deemed incapable of carrying our the duties of the head of state and government, the Chancellor will assume emergency powers necessary to maintain order. The Chancellor also presided over the Imperial Diet, which had similar powers to the German Diet.

150px-Li_Yuan-hung.jpg

Li Yuanhong, first Chancellor of the Chinese Empire, in civilian attire.

The old Qing bureaucracy was reorganized into several ministries, with each minister appointed by the Emperor: War, Interior, Education, Economy, Foreign Affairs, etc. Chiang Kai-Shek was appointed as War Minister after the end of the purges.

Puyi immediately gave approval for a large offensive against the Mongolians, led by Chiang. Within a week, the capital had fallen, and the Baron surrendered before the Soviet armies could reach Chinese territory. In gratitude, Puyi appointed the Guomingdang Party as the ruling party in the Diet.

----

(Sometime later)
"
Daddy! Where are we going?" shouted little Vicky as her father, Ka Ge (or Bill), led her through thick crowds towards Tiananmen Square.
"
Don't you want to see the emperor?" replied Bill, "If you're a good girl and listen to his speech he will not take you away to Manchuria."
They emerged in the large square, facing the gate to the Forbidden City. Above the door, the portrait of Sun Yat-sen had been removed and replaced with one of the Emperor. Soldiers in gray uniforms lined the bridge to the palace.
All of a sudden, the Chinese national anthem (鞏金甌) began playing, and the crowds were silenced immediately.
Vicky had heard that the coronation had taken place a week earlier, and many foreign dignitaries were invited to attend, including the Kaiser and his family, the British royal family, the Italian royal family, the Habsburgs, and the Osmans. The American president had politely declined, and Tojo laughed in the herald's face, so none of the Japanese royal family was even considered for invitations. Rumors were already spreading that Puyi was already in a relationship with the Kaiser's daughter, Victoria Louise. The ceremony must have been nice.
The emperor then appeared on a balcony above the gate, and the soldiers fired a twenty-four gun salute. The crowd's roar of "Long live the emperor!" was almost deafening.
Vicky only remembered parts of the following speech:
"
People of the Chinese nation, We address you today in a time of great turmoil. In the north, the Soviet Union is standing in the way of the reconquest of Mongolia; they also hold Outer Manchuria. In the east, the upstart Japanese have stolen Taiwan and Port Arthur and are oppressing the people of Korea as We speak. In the south are the British, oppressors of a fifth of the world's population and Hong Kong...The Celestial Empire has been reborn. We must reclaim what is rightfully ours, and the barbarians must be put in their place--especially Japan. Today, China is no longer divided. We are one people*, under one ruler, for the Chinese nation is the center of the world!"
(cheering)

*All Chinese cultures and Korean become accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter 1: Restoriation, Part 2 (1926-1933)

With all of the warlords brought back into the fold under the Celestial Empire, Chiang's Guomingdang turned its attention to the Tibetans. Puyi's ancestors had reigned over the region in the past, but they had broken free in the chaos of revolution and Weltkrieg. It was time to remind them of their place in the Empire. Spies were sent into Tibet to fabricate a justification for conquest.

2015-05-21_00011.jpg

Puyi "convinced" Li Yuanhong to accept an offer to become chairman of the Guomingdang.

Twelve days after the first spy was sent, one of them defected to the Dalai Lama and told him everything.
2015-05-21_00014.jpg

This only served to put the Chinese people more in favor of war.
2015-05-21_00016.jpg

On June 25, the Banner armies descended upon Tibet. The Germans honored the alliance signed between Puyi and Wilhelm, but Chiang knew that despite an unusually large garrison in German-held Hanoi and the fact that the German army was mobilizing, not much help was going to come from Europe.
2015-05-21_00019.jpg

In Britain, strikes happened. Puyi hoped that what happened in Russia and France didn't spread there as well.
2015-05-21_00021.jpg

Imperial forces immediately wiped out all Tibetan resistance. In months the major cities were overrun.
On December 8, 1926, Lhasa fell, and the Germans enforced Puyi's demands five minutes later. The Dalai Lama was allowed to keep his position as spiritual head of Tibetan Buddhism, but all political power was to be handed over to the imperial government.

2015-05-21_00040.jpg

The new year rolled around, and with it came a man named Mao Zedong, preaching about revolution and syndicalist ideas. To prevent a violent coup as Chiang had done, Puyi immediately gave his party some seats in the Diet, but only the parties of Chiang and Feng Yuxiang could become ruling party.
2015-05-21_00042.jpg

On June 22, 1927, Sun Yat-sen retired from politics for good. Puyi sighed with relief.

The rest of the year passed without incident. During the summer of 1928, some fascist groups began setting up soup kitchens promoting their beliefs in a Chinese master race. These were quickly and quietly shut down.

On Christmas Eve, 1928, Wilhelm decided that Herman Goering's African regime was no longer necessary. Puyi questioned the Kaiser's judgment in his head.
2015-05-21_00062.jpg

Meanwhile, the Austro-Hungarians and the Italians went to war again.

In the summer of 1929, the Empire began work on reestablishing the ancient tributary system in the style of European spheres of influence. The first members were Bhutan, Nepal, and Siam.

On November 3, news came from America of a huge crisis. The stock market had crashed.
2015-05-21_00075.jpg

Exactly a month later, the crash hit China, but Puyi and Chiang were confident that the Empire could ride out the worst of the Depression, as the Americans were calling it.
2015-05-21_00076.jpg

The Italians managed to defeat the Austrians and seized their spot in the Great Powers. In the meantime, Puyi appointed Feng Yuxiang's party as the ruling party in the Diet so that they could better manage China's ever-growing economy.
2015-05-22_00001.jpg
2015-05-22_00002.jpg

In other news, Uruguay hosted the first World Cup, and advancements were made in aeronautics.

On March 4, 1932, Kaiser Wilhelm presided over the opening of the first Kraftfahrstraße, or autobahn.

Puyi appointed Hesehn Shangzhi as the admiral of the new Imperial Fleet, seeing that he had much potential.

After numerous negotiations with Britain and Portugal (which involved, among other things, the German navy appearing off Liverpool and Lisboa with hundreds of transports), the two nations agreed to cede Hong Kong and Macao to the Empire. Germany, in a sign of good will, gave back the city of Qingdao to Puyi as a birthday present.

Troubling news, however, came from Japan:
2015-05-22_00027.jpg

Tojo proclaimed that it was the destiny of Glorious Nippon to conquer the entirety of Asia, to which the entire world (except for Britain) condemned the nation. Puyi was furious that a former tributary state dared challenge the mighty Celestial Empire. Chiang and Li then reminded him that Port Arthur and Taiwan, which were Chinese territories, were still under Japanese administration. Puyi decided that it was time to put the Japanese in their rightful place by launching a preemptive strike.
On April 18, 1933, Puyi issued a declaration of war against the Japanese menace, stating that "Port Arthur and Taiwan will be reclaimed" and that "the Korean people will be liberated!"
2015-05-23_00001.jpg
The Germans and Siamese honored their alliances and began mobilizing immediately. With two Great Powers against Japan, Chiang was confident the Empire would win.
2015-05-23_00002.jpg

Then came shocking news: Britain had honored its "Gentleman's Alliance" with Japan, which meant one thing:
The Second Weltkrieg had begun.
2015-05-23_00003.jpg

----
A teaser for next time: Live, die, repeat.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm pretty sure that this is going to be a looong battle. Are yougoing to add any events for WK2?

I had a bunch of events written, including one involving Korea and an event chain for the case that I somehow get curb-stomped by the Japanese (complete with sack of Nanjing, a partitioning of China, and a Manchukuo puppet state). However, the game refused to load these events (a problem I traced to the Korean event and events where nations would be released as puppets while at war), so I had to disable all of them entirely. I think I made up for the absence of these events with save-reloading, console commands, and carefully done RP to justify said use of console commands, but it's been months since I played in the 1930s.
Update will probably not come until at least later today, although I have screenshots and a plot ready, as I'm kind of busy right now and don't have enough time to upload pictures.

Reactions: