• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nax24

Field Marshal
57 Badges
Apr 28, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
Welcome to Under the Rising Sun, a Victoria II Interactive After Action Report in a long line of IAARs including Federation of Equals, Shadows of the Andes, Edge of Europe, Power to the People, Sonderweg oder Anderweg?, Blood or Iron, and many more. For those of you who have never participated in an IAAR before, welcome! For those who have experience in IAARs, welcome to another one!

Under the Rising Sun (or UtRS for short) will follow Japan from 1836-1936, as it evolves from a state of uncivilized feudalism, through its own rapid industrialization, into the modern era. UtRS is different from many other IAARs before it, as it will be the first IAAR to start in an uncivilized nation. Uncivilized means new mechanics, new polices, and the absence of many policies in western nations. It also brings the challenge of westernization and dealing with rapid change to adept to the modern world. Will Japan remain under the Shogun forever, will the Emperor win, or will another force win out in the end?

A lot of chatter about this game will take place on coldfront, a chatroom network. To access coldfront, go to http://www.coldfront.net/tiramisu/, and joining the UtRS channel by typing "/join #UtRS_Main".

Rules and details of the IAAR shall be in the posts below, and must be strictly adhered to at all times. Other then that, enjoy your time here, it is your game.

It is never too late to join!

Nclg9Ft.jpg

Full Interactivity Approved by Mr. Capitalist on June 11, 2015

Last edited:
Reactions:
Table of Contents

Thread Information
Title
Rules of the IAAR
Uncivilized Japan Mechanices
Civilized Japan Mechanics
List of Bonuses
List of Active Players

Timeline
Uncivilized Updates:
Japan - 1836
Satake (1836-1838): A Dull Start
Satake (1838-1841): A New Wave?
Satake (1841-1843): Start of Something New
Satake (1843-1846): A Murder and a Death
Satake (1846-1849): It Ends in Blood Pt.1
Satake (1846-1849): It Ends in Blood Pt.2
Satake (1849-1851): Run on the Banks
Satake (1851-1853): Black Ships
Satake (1853-1856): One Last Hurrah
Oshiro (1856-1861): End of an Era

Boshin War, Convention, and Transition:
The Boshin War: Prologue (1860-1861)
The Boshin War (January 1861 - May 1861) Pt.1: Central and Northern Campaign
The Boshin War (January 1861 - May 1861) Pt.2: The Edo Assault
Date's Transitory Government (May 1861 - January 1864): Stability No Matter the Cost!
Convention of 1864

Civilized Updates:
Election of 1864

Oshiro (1864-1866): The Satsuma Rebellion
Oshiro (1866-1868): Rapid Advances
Election of 1868
Oshiro (1868-1870): Troubling Waters
Oshiro (1870-1873): Boom and More Boom
Election of 1873
Oshiro (1873-Mid 1874): The Bussan Incident
Oshiro (1874-1876): The Second Japanese Invasion of Korea Pt.1
Oshiro (1874-1876): The Second Japanese Invasion of Korea Pt.2
Oshiro (1876-1877): Rises and Falls
Election of 1877
Date (1877-1879): Defeats and Victories
Date (1879-1882): The Great Asian War
Election of 1882
Date (1882-1884): All is Quiet on the Western Front

Date (1884-1886) Pt.1: The Katashi Plot
Date (1884-1886) Pt.2: Conclusion of Warfare
Date's Military Government (1886-1887): Fires of Anger
Election of 1887
Date (1887-Summer of 1888): Peace at Last
Date (1888-1890): Is Boring a Good Thing?
Date (1890-1891): With a Vengance
Election of 1891
Date's Intermin Government (1891-1893) Pt.1: Advances and Wins
Date's Intermin Government (1891-1893) Pt.2: Judgement Day at Khaborvsk
Election of 1893
Yamagata (1893-1895): Chaos and the Red-Tide
Yamagata (1895-1896): Hot Coals of Nationalism
Yamagata (1896-1898): The Red Terror
Coup of 1898 Pt.1: Bloodless
Coup of 1898 Pt.2: Betrayal
Japanese Civil War Pt.1: The Crisis Begins
Japanese Civil War Pt.2: The Edge of Oblivion
Japanese Civil War Pt.3: The Turnaround
Japan's Future Pt.1: The New Order
Japan's Future Pt.2: Then and Now
My Closing Thoughts

Last edited:
Reactions:
Rules of the IAAR

(All rights to ThunderHawk3 for most of the rules for the game)
Before I go any further, I want to impress upon you the importance of the Golden Rule; keeping a friendly and civil tone OOC in this AAR. Please avoid arguing OOC, stay on topic, and stay civil even in character. Insulting another player out of character is never acceptable and will draw my displeasure. Total racism, Nazi-like actions for fascists (Not all fascists are Nazis) late in-game, anything that promotes courses of action similar to stuff committed by Japanese in their invasion of China (If we do invade China) due to the location of the IAAR, or anything that is deemed inappropriate will not be tolerated by me. This thread exists for people to have fun and build a story, nothing else.

You’ve seen it before, and you’ll see it again:
always keep in mind that you must always adhere to the forum rules.

There is probably going to be some hard realpolitik in this thread, possibly even backstabbing or personal betrayal. I am asking you all, as players, to rise above this. If you don't or can't, don't participate in this AAR, I won't tolerate the Golden Rule being broken.

Other Rules:

1. Dark Voting, voting outside the thread, is strictly forbidden.
  2. Godmodding, or doing events in the thread without my permission is strictly forbidden. I am allowing certain events to occur in the game that are created by you the players, but they have to be reasonable and not crazy. This is a game run by the players, the nation is yours to play with. PM me if you wish to have an event included into the game and wait for my approval. GAME EVENTS NOT APPROVED BY ME WILL NOT HAVE HAPPENED IC.
  3. Secondary Characters are not allowed, but I will allow you posting as people with connections to your main character. Just run it by me via PM or on IRC first before posting.
  4. Posts without “((private))” or “((secret))” will be assumed public.
  5. Appropriating, killing, or doing anything with another player’s character without their consent is strictly forbidden. I reserve the right to kill off any character for any reason.
  6. No campaigning outside the thread.
  7. I reserve the right to veto.
  8. Bold your votes.
  9. I will serve as Head of State as Shogun and Emperor, but will allow revolution governments to appoint a PC head of state, and will allow a PC head of state in a Democracy.
  10. Respect my authority. You can critique and question and draw up concerns which I will gladly answer, but do not go out of your way to constantly be a butt about things I do.
  11. Regardless of being uncivilized or civilized, you must wait ten in-game years to change your class/specialty.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Uncivilized Japan Mechanics

These are the Mechanics we will be using when Japan is uncivilized.
While Japan is uncivilized, the player base shall be divided into two classes, Daimyo and Samurai:

Daimyo: These are the lords of each province of Japan. They serve the Shogun by providing him with troops and taxes in return for greater autonomy in managing their regions. There were 250 provinces of Japan during the Tokugawa Shogunate. However, for the sake of the IAAR, I have decided to make it so each in-game province gets a Daimyo. Province Daimyo though can nominate to have seven of them be on the Rōjū, one per region of Japan, and become Regional Daimyo, but the Province Daimyo must select one Daimyo of their region to be their Regional Daimyo. There will be no Regional Daimyo for areas outside of the seven regions of Japan. Province Daimyo that are the only Daimyo in their region at a set time will automatically become the Regional Daimyo. These Regional Daimyos will be able to raise troops and build ships in their regions, and all regional events shall be directed at the respective Regional Daimyo rather than at the leader of the government. In the event that there are no Province Daimyo to put in as Regional Daimyo, then the leader of the Roju will be put in charge of making decisions for that region. Now, this does not make the Regional Daimyos the only characters in charge, nor does this protect them from the Shogun. The Shogun may imprison them, or have them execute/force them to commit suicide if they prove to be unruly. The Shogun can also remove their lands and titles from them and give them to a worthy Samurai or Province Daimyo who served that Regional Daimyo. The one requirement for being a Regional Daimyo is that you must be on IRC or have me added on Steam (naxhi24 on Steam) in order to make decisions about events regarding your region. I assume that the lot of you want to make your own clan, but for those who want historic clans, run it by me in a PM for my approval. If multiple people want the same historic clan, I will be the arbitrator in deciding who gets it.

Samurai: These are the retainers and knights of Japan. Samurai act as the warriors of Japan, and as such, are in charge of leading the armies of their respective Daimyo. They serve their Daimyo, and are responsible to them. They can only serve Regional Daimyo. Samurai players must tell me in their character information post what Regional Daimyo they serve. Regional Daimyo may appoint samurai loyal to them to act as the generals of their armies and admirals of their navies. Samurai shall receive personality and background traits from me. Samurai also have a grade, which tells how good they are at fighting. Each trait is assigned a grade ranking. At first, Samurai cannot have a background and personality with a combined grade above 1. For every battle they win, there is a 20% chance of increasing the grade. Samurai serve the Daimyo, but the Daimyo must also reward the Samurai for their services. For each Samurai in his service, the Regional Daimyo gets extra votes in the Daimyo Council based on the Samurai’s grade (If a grade 2 Samurai and a grade 1 Samurai are in one region, that Regional Daimyo gets +3 voting power). If the actions of the Daimyo are not honorable, Samurai can deny their support to the Daimyo and make him lose one vote, and if enough Samurai in the region deny, it could lead to serious problems in the region. This makes it imperative to please the Samurai, else you would lose voting power, or worse. Pleasing Samurai involve implementing their suggestions/demands when the Regional Daimyo votes in the Council of Elders.
Samurai can develop into five different types. The first four types can still lead armies:
  1. Warrior: The standard Samurai who leads armies into battle and fights. They get a 20% chance of a grade increase for every victory the army they are leading has. Warriors are able to also assign themselves to fight in an army they do not lead, and get a 10% chance of a grade increase for every victory that army has.
  2. Ninja: The stealthy version of the Samurai. Ninja are the assassins and spies of the Daimyo who employs them. They can leak private information and try to make it public (Chance of success = MIL * 10). They can try to assassinate other player characters (Chance of success = MIL * 5) and damage the armies of other Daimyo (Chance of success = MIL * 7). Capture would most certainly mean death. They cannot increase grade leading armies, but instead grade up for each successful action (AKA: Doing something and not getting arrested).
  3. Monk: The religious version of the Samurai. Monks are the Buddhist Monks and Shinto Priests that live in Japan. The Monks can travel to provinces to try and sway the general population to the cause of the monk’s master, leading to social instability and a chance of rebellion in the provinces (Chance of success = MIL * 6 (Rebel army size = MIL * 3)). Being caught would most likely lead to imprisonment or execution based on the Daimyo’s decision. Monks can also be tasked with bringing peace to the region, and can decrease MIL in the region (Chance of success = MIL*6 (MIL drop = MIL/5)). Monks cannot grade up leading armies, but grade up for each successful rebellion they caused/for disent eliminated.
  4. Karō: The political version of the Samurai. Karō serve as advisors and diplomats to the Daimyo that they serve. The Karō can sit on the Daimyo Council and provide 0.5 voting power in a vote. Karō cannot increase grade by leading armies, but have a 30% chance of increasing grade should their Daimyo be selected as Head Elder, and a 20% chance if their Daimyo is on the Advisory Council.
  5. Ronin: These are the Samurai who do not have a master or refuse to swear fealty to their current Daimyo. Samurai who do not swear fealty are automatically ronin. Ronin cannot lead armies or develop into the other four types. They can however, move to another region of Japan in hopes of finding a Daimyo they can agree with.
Other Mechanics for Uncivilized Japan:

Voting Power: Voting power is how many votes your vote counts for. In this case, Province Daimyo get one voting power, Regional Daimyo get two voting power. This is for use in passing legislative decisions, bills, budgets, etc. Samurai get no voting power.

Reforms:The uncivilized nation reform system shall have no effect on the game, but instead revolve around trying to westernize the nation. Once Japan is westernized, reforms shall become important to the game. However, with uncivilized reforms, you can only activate them when you get enough research points. Thus, you cannot activate reforms until I say you are able to, and even then you must vote on it amongst yourselves.

Daimyo Council: At the beginning of the game, all Daimyo shall have the power to pass legislation, pass reforms, and pass budgets for the Adviser of Finance to suggest to the Shogun. The Daimyo shall have the ability to request wars and shall serve on the Shogun’s advisory council, but spots will most likely go to Regional Daimyo. Regional Daimyo get two votes, Province Daimyo get one vote. Samurai do not have this power.

Rōjū: The seven Regional Daimyo shall be apart of this council of elders. These represent the seven strongest Daimyo in all of Japan. The leader of the Rōjū shall be the Head Elder, a man appointed from the other elders who shall advise the Shogun directly on how to manage the country (The person in this position shall tell me what national decisions I should make in-game). The Rōjū may advise the Shogun to replace the Head Elder or any of his advisors via voting. If the Daimyo Council fails to appoint members, then the Shogun shall appoint them. The Roju has the power of advising the Shogun to veto legislation from the Daimyo council should it come before the Shogun.

Factions: At the beginning of the game, there are no political parties. Instead we have factions, loosely organized bodies aimed at achieving certain goals. These factions can be created by a Daimyo and another player. The Head Elder's factional association will determine the policies of the government.

Regions: These are the Regions of Japan and how many claimable provinces each has:
Kyushu: 7 provinces
Chugoku: 4 provinces
Shikoku: 3 provinces
Kansai: 4 provinces (Kyoto cannot be claimed by anyone)
Chubu: 7 provinces
Kanto: 5 provinces (Edo cannot be claimed by anyone)
Tohuku: 6 provinces
Hokkaido: Controlled by the Shogun, so no Daimyo here.

Edo and Kyoto are off limits, but you can claim any other province on the map, as long as no one else gets to it first. Province claiming is a first-come-first-serve deal. I will tell you if a province has already been claimed or not. We should have enough for about 36 Daimyo, which is plenty enough to have for everyone to have the choice to become a Daimyo.

The Meji Restoration: At some point in the game, Japan shall be faced with the option to westernize. This chain of events shall occur when the ability to westernize is allowed. This will devolve into a civil war similar to that of the Boshin War. The first step to determining the outcome of the war is to find out what side each Samurai and Daimyo supports. They can either support the Shogun, the Emperor, or the creation of a Republic (This is based on the Republic of Ezo during the Boshin War, and is for those who do not want to support either the Emperor or the Shogun). Next comes foreign support. If France is allied to Japan, then the Shogunate faction gets +20 points of power. If the British or Americans are allied to Japan, then the Imperial faction gets +20 points of power. Foreign support won't become too big an issue since it would be unlikely to happen, it is mostly for historical accuracy. Next would be to determine a victor.

Points of power shall be determined by a regional warfare system. I will split each army to find the brigades from certain provinces. Here is where it gets complicated. Each brigade is one point of power to the side the Province Daimyo supports. So if I have an army of three brigades, two from Province A and one from Province B, and Province A is Imperial, and Province B is Shogun, then the Shogunate gets one point of power while the Emperor gets two. If all provinces in a region support one side, and the Regional Daimyo supports the same side, then the faction gets +3 points of power. If a Regional Daimyo has brigades that are not serving any PC Province Daimyo under him, then those brigades count towards the faction the Regional Daimyo is following. If a Regional Daimyo has no brigades that are serving under any PC Province Daimyo under him, he does not get the +3 and instead just gets his factions points based on how many brigades his army has. However, if a Samurai who supports the Emperor is leading an army, each Imperialist brigade gives an extra point of power, and the same with the Shogunate. The faction with the most points of power wins.

In all cases, Japan westernizes and we go to the rules regarding a civilized Japan. If the Shogun wins, the players will come together to determine a constitution for a military dictatorship. If the Emperor wins, the players will come together to determine a constitution for a monarchy. If the Republic wins, the players will come together to determine a constitution for a democracy.

Creating a Character when Japan is Uncivilized

Name:
Class:
Province of Control ((For Daimyo Only)):
Region ((For Samurai Only)):
Background:

Last edited:
Civilized Japan Mechanics

These are the mechanics we will be using when Japan Westernizes

Once Japan westernizes, Daimyos and Samurai will evolve into one of three Specialties:

Politics: These are the administrators and bureaucrats of Japan. They are the only specialty to form political parties, and get a bonus for being in government. They get a base voting power of one per PC, but can increase that if the government appoints them to a specific position. Political specialized players can also hold rallies which have a chance of raising or lowering MIL depending on their position in government.

Economy: The industrialists, bankers, and anyone who values money over anything else. Eventually, once (and if) Japan westernizes, these are the people who will be building the factories of Japan, and managing them. They earn money when their factories are doing well, and lose money when they are doing poorly. Their success comes from the ability to fund campaigns, increasing the power of their vote. Economist can spend money to buy VP for a maximum of 4 VP. The cost is the average per year income earned by all the economists. Rich economists may also spend money to recruit soldiers and build war ships. They are the only class though that are unable to cause a revolution. Economy specialized players may also invest in foreign factories should they be allowed to and invest the capital into it.

Military: The generals, admirals, and all those in the navy and army. These men are the leaders of the Japanese Imperial Army and the Japanese Imperial Navy. Military specialized people attain glory and respect serving in the armed forces, and thus their vote automatically counts as 2 voting power to what they are voting for.

Reforms and Their Implications:
Franchisement:
In reality based upon the concepts of the game, franchisement will only affect the game if the “No-Voting” Reform is emplaced. Other than that, who is voting has no other implications on the game, unless we have Jefferson Method elections, in which I will go through those who can vote.

Political Parties:
Underground: The government can break up other political parties at its leisure.

Harassed: Members of the government get +1.5 voting power each.

Gerrymandering: Members of the government get +1 voting power each.

Non-Secret Ballot: Members of the government get +0.5 voting power each.

Secret Ballot: No voting bonus for being a member of the government

Upper House:
Ruling Party: The fact that the leading party in the government gets all the upper house seats speaks enough for itself.

Appointed: The head of state can appoint members to the upper house with/without lower house approval (depends on PC IC). Appointed upper house members get +1 voting power.

Two Per State: Two upper house members per state, leaving us with a jolly good fourteen upper-house members. However, this reform also includes any amendment aimed at making a specific number of upper house members per state. Nothing really special here. Only affects electoral committee votes for head of state elections.

Based on Population: Historically correct Japanese upper-house calculations for each region. We will most likely have 240+ members of the upper-house in this case. Only affects electoral committee votes for head of state elections.

Press:
State-Controlled: Newspapers that are not approved by the state can be shut down leading to the journalist’s imprisonment. Due to the government propaganda pouring out of the press, members of the government get +1 voting power each.

Censored: Newspapers that the government considers guilty of “libel” and “slander” can be shut down leading to the journalist’s imprisonment. Since these charges are usually on things the government does not approve of, members of the government get +0.5 voting power each.

Free: Newspapers can write whatever they want. Members of the government get no bonus votes.

Assembly:
Illegal: Protests and marches are illegal, meaning that the government can stop all those opposing them in the streets. Government members get +0.5 voting power each.

Legal: Protests and marches are legal. Government members get no bonus voting power.

Trade Unions:
Illegal: There is a 0% chance that trade unions will randomly shut down a factory.

State-Controlled: There is a 10% chance that trade unions will randomly shut down a factory.

Non-Socialist: There is a 20% chance that trade unions will randomly shut down a factory.

All Allowed: There is a 30% chance that trade unions will randomly shut down a factory.

Election System:
See Election Mechanics.

Slavery:
I will be appalled to see this actually implemented. I pray to god you guys don't try to force this. Also nothing comes out of having legal slavery.

Social Reforms:
Social Reforms are bad for economy specialized characters, since most of the social reforms harm the revenue of the company. At first, it is generally accepted to avoid these reforms, but as the game progresses, the people may start demanding them.

(All bonuses for the government earned by reforms will be wiped before the election)

Other Civilized Japan Mechanics:

Economy Specialized PC Challenges: Trade unions, if allowed, have a chance of shutting down factories at the end of each update. This chance is increased for every level of trade union reform. Rich taxes and tariffs also hurt the income of the economy specialized players, and it would be wise for a politician to try and lower both to get on the side of the economy specialized players.

Military Hierarchy: Once Japan westernizes, the Shogun will not be in charge of the army, but instead it will be organized into a hierarchy. In charge shall be the Chief of General Staff, appointed by the Head of Government. The CoGS shall then appoint those below him, such as army commanders, admirals, etc. Only military specialized players can be CoGS.

Political Parties: Without factions, the government of Japan is open to the wonderful system of partisanship. Political specialized characters are the only ones that can form political parties, but they need the backing of at least one other player character in general to be allowed to form said party.

Demagogue Actions: Assassinations and bomb throwing can change the game drastically. If you wish to assassinate a player, you have to set up the plan to do the assassination. Circumstance + the best position means a better chance for a successful assassination. The player will then have to escape. Bomb throwing will result in a huge increase in MIL if successful. If you are caught or not, you have to wait ten years to attempt one of these actions again.

Government Positions: If a political specialized PC gets appointed to a certain government position, then they could get more voting power. The power though will be wiped before each election. The list for what each gives is below:

1. Head of Government = +3 voting power
  2. Big Three Ministries (Minister of Foreign Affairs/War/Finance) = +2 voting power
  3. Important Ministries (Minister of Education/Interior/Justice) = +1 voting power
  4. Anything else or created Ministries do not give any bonuses.
Revolutions: Much like that of Power to the People, military and political specialized players can cause a revolution to try and change the form of government to whatever they wish. In the event any of these happen, all events stop and we shall vote on whether or not to support the revolution. A revolution can change the government to whatever it wants it to be.

Political: Any amendment proposed by the players that alters the form of government in-game, any action that tries to remove the current party in power from power, and any constitution the political players wish to see forced as the new government system, will be considered a revolution. The Political revolution requires votes to be cast to see whether or not the revolution passes. The VP required shall be based on ther MIL of the population. If the MIL is 8, then only 20% of total VP is needed to pass the revolution. This type of revolution would see little risk to those who proposed the revolution should it fail, but expect opposition and the possibility of the people to strike back if it passes (See bottom for guide). A true roll shall be used to determine what is rolled. The true roll is what I roll - MIL, so if I roll a 10, and MIL is 5, then the true roll shall be 5, which I will use on the chart. I will determine what is considered revolutionary. If the vote fails, all those in favor of the revolution get -2 voting power for an electoral cycle.

Military: Military Coup; The military can basically launch an invasion against the government to see the current government removed and a new government installed. This is possibly the most violent form of revolution. People will die, and odds are the military will try to hunt down those who are in the government. For this to work, the person in charge of the coup must be leading an army. The coup will then, via tactical decisions, will have to take the capital and hold it for a month. Should the coup army be destroyed, all coup supporters shall be executed.

Rolls and Meanings:
Political Revolution (Only if Passed):
  1. Nothing Happens
  2. Newspapers write some stuff about it, yet not much happens
  3. Trade Unions get upset and go on strike, small MIL increase
  4. Workers in general get upset and go on strike, medium MIL increase
  5. People march in protest over the abuse of power, large MIL increase
  6. Radicals arm themselves in protest and start an insurgency, small group of rebels appear.
  7. Opposition arm themselves in protest and start an insurgency, medium group of rebels appear.
  8. People take to the street, armed and ready to fight for their freedoms, large group of rebels appear.
  9. People, backed by elements of the military storm the capital and arrest those who forced the government change, revolution fails, all in favor of the revolution imprisoned.
  10. People, backed by elements of the military, storm the capital and execute those who forced the government change, revolution fails, all in favor of the revolution are killed.
Not Enough Support/Failure in vote: -2 voting power for all supporters of the revolution till after the next election.

Election Mechanics:
The legislature is the elected body of Japan. The legislature is where most of the characters created will serve. The Japanese legislature is elected every four years. The way the legislature is chosen is based upon voting power and the actions of their party.

In First Past The Post, parties operate on a regional basis in this game. Parties can either choose to start nationally, or they can start off in one of the regions of Japan. This is heavily influenced by the regionalism employed in Power to the People. Parties that start nationally will have to divvy up their votes evenly among each region however. Since Japan starts off with 7 regions, a national party with 14 voting power will have to divide by 7, meaning that the party will have 2 voting power per region. Smaller parties though can start off in any number of regions and expand to others. A party that has 14 voting power but is only in 2 regions means they get 7 voting power per region. I am implementing a weighted threshold system, a system used in "The Westminster System" IAAR, to determine seat allocation. Basically, that means the party with the most Voting Power in a region gets a higher weighted percentage of the vote. The thresholds are as followed:

<5% - 0 (If a party fails to secure a minimum of 5% of the vote it shall gain no parliamentary representation.)

5-10% (Percentage of the vote the party receives) - 0.25 (How much the vote is multiplied by)

10-15% - 0.5

15-25% - 1

25-35% - 2

35-45% - 3

>45% - 4

Basically, this means that he who receives the most Voting Power in the region gets the highest threshold. So if there were two parties competing for 10 seats, one party gets 21 VP, the other gets 7 VP, then that means Party A has 75% of the vote, while Party B has only 25% of the vote. Weighted by this system, Party A will get a total of 84 Electoral Points, while Party B will get a total of 14 electoral points. The weighted system percentage divided would mean Party A will get about 86% of the seats, while Party B will get about 14% of the seats.

Jefferson method works via this formula; Votes for Party = Voting Power/Total votes. Votes for Party/Total Votes Cast*Number of Seats in Legislature = Number of seats obtained. I know, pretty complex stuff. I will divide the voting power of PCs by the voting population to determine the people who voted for them, meaning who is voting in terms of franchisement becomes important. So if Party A had 100,000 votes out of 230,000 votes over 8 seats, the number you get would be 3.48, rounding down to 3 seats. Parties with more votes are generally favored in this form of election, since the next largest PP party would have to get votes out of the remaining 130,000 and divide that by 230,000. I highly suggest not using this for my sake please..

The Proportional Method works via this formula; Party Votes/Total Votes. So if there are 10 seats, with Party A having 6 votes in the region, and with a total of 12 votes among three parties, Party A will have 50%, while the other 50% will be divvied up among the other two parties. If Party B had 5 votes, that party would get about 42% of the seats, with Party C getting about 8% of the seats. Then we would apply that to the number of seats, and determine the results (Math is fun everyone!).

Independents can also be a thing if the form of election is First Past the Post. Independents automatically get one seat and take that one seat from the party with the most seats at the end of the election. Independents do not work in the other forms of election. Reforms also play into favor in these election systems.

Head of State elections will be expanded upon by PC decisions in regards to how the government should be run. In the event the Head of State becomes an elected position, then the election shall basically (regardless of voting system) be determined by who has the most voting power.

Aristocracy and the Privy Council:
The Privy Council will act as a body used to advise the Emperor on important matters should the country become an imperial monarchy. Whoever sits on the Privy Council shall have the power to “advise” the emperor on certain ideals, most importantly whether or not to veto or pass legislation, deal with war declarations, and to appoint members to the Upper House (if applicable). How does one get on the PC? Well they have to be a rank of nobility. The player can be given a title by either the Emperor himself or on recommendation by the PC. The rank of nobility depends on your voting power in the PC. Here is a guide to the ranks of nobility:

Prince: 5 PC voting power
Marquis: 4 PC voting power
Count: 3 PC voting power
Viscount: 2 PC voting power
Baron: 1 PC voting power

The PC may only suggest two men per electoral cycle to be recommended for a seat on the PC. However, economists can buy a rank of nobility with the cash they have. Here is how much each title costs:

Prince: Only By Imperial Appointment
Marquis: 150,000 cash
Count: 100,000 cash
Viscount: 75,000 cash
Baron: 50,000 cash

Creating a Character when Japan is Civilized

Name:
Specialty:
Background:

Last edited:
Japan - 1836

Japan, an island out of time, and out of place. In an age of modernization and industrialization, Japan is what many would call "uncivilized". The reason for this is because for the past 200 years, Japan has been in a self-contained isolation, embracing a policy it has called Sakoku, banning all foreign contact with the outside world. The people of Japan have become a time capsule for many, often being seen as the last example of feudalism on the planet. Few foreigners could get in, with only the port city of Nagasaki allowing small foreign shipments into it. While Japan may seem out of place from the rest of the world, that does not mean it is totally behind. Western culture has managed to sneak in through the tiny doors Japan has left for foreign trade. With it comes the advancement of science, culture, technology, and philosophy, but yet, on a very small scale. Christianity was outlawed as well, with many Christians facing persecution from the Buddhist and Shinto majority.

l7KzxdJ.jpg

(A Dutch ship, the Dutch were the only "Nanban" allowed to trade with the Japanese)

The Japanese system of government is feudal. At the top of this hierarchy sits the Emperor, a divine being who ushers the respect of all those around him. Men are willing to die for their Emperor, and he inspires Japan to press on despite all difficulties. Yet, politically, the Emperor is but a puppet in the grand scheme of things. True power rested in the Tokugawa Shogunate, whose rulers (The Shoguns), have controlled every aspect of Japan sine the early 17th century. The current Shogun is Tokugawa Ienari, who is currently entering his 49th year as Shogun. Below the Shogun are his loyal noblemen, the Daimyo. The Daimyo are the feudal controllers of the regions and provinces of Japan. They give troops and taxes to the Shogun, and in return, the Shogun gives them autonomy in ruling their provinces and regions. Below the Daimyo are the knights of the realm, the Samurai. The Samurai are warriors who follow the Bushido code, and hold honor above everything else. Special Samurai even have risen up to hold prominent commands among their Daimyo. Below the Samurai are the peasants, the bulk of the population. This is a feudal society, a society that is based on land control and military servitude.

CopxX8q.jpg

(The current Shogun of Japan, Tokugawa Ienari)

The Shogun though is on rocky terms. His government is faulty, and his mandate unsecure. Japan is about to leave the Tenpo Famine, a huge famine that struck in 1833. The famine itself weakened the Shogun's reign, but it was the responce that weakened it further. The Shogun's Bakufu was corrupt, taking more pleasure then governorship. Many began to wonder if Tokugawa Ienari was the right man for the job, and many began to turn to his second son, Tokugawa Ieyoshi, to possibly lead the government.

1sxnI9f.jpg

(A scene from the Tenpo Famine)

This is the state of Japan as a new era dawned on Japan. Would Japan open up to the west? Would Japan ever abandoned their feudal government? How long before isolation cracks Japan apart? Many Daimyo and Samurai began to wonder this as Daimyo met in the Daimyo Council to discuss new members for the Council of Elders.

mAlr6Yq.png

sQSGrBI.png

5XZRccC.png

lq6PiLq.png

YNZ2lF7.png

AXQZtGq.png

qgFxzAQ.png

e6i7A8G.png

OTt6PGX.png

e6i7A8G.png

oCLgYRi.png

1xyVHgQ.png

WhXFtVb.png

WhXFtVb.png

V78ipcO.png

EkNLU6B.png

HsZEqvb.png

Last edited:
私の桜それで行きます
Translation: Go at it my Cherry Blossoms
Player Actions: I will give you all three days (Sundayat 9:00 PM EST or Monday at 1:00 AM GMT) to get your characters up. After three days, you will be voting upon who will serve your region in the Council of Elders as the Regional Daimyo. Then they will have a vote on the Head Elder.

Current Claimed Historic Daimyos:
I. Uesugi
II. Satake
III. Date

Firehound15 shall handle counting what provinces are taken for the Province Daimyo. If you need help in deciding what the provinces are, shoot me a PM or talk to me on IRC.

Last edited:
IMPORTANT RECORDS

REGIONS OF JAPAN
fxiUK5U.png

NOTABLE HOLDINGS IN JAPAN
st48Gb5.png

GREAT HEROES AND VILLAINS OF MODERN JAPANESE HISTORY

EMPEROR:
Emperor Ninkō of Japan (IMPERIAL FAMILY - KYOTO) - b. 1800 ((Naxhi24 - GM))
SHOGUN:
Shogun Tokugawa Ienari (SHOGUNATE - EDO) - b. 1773 ((Naxhi24 - GM))

DAIMYO:
((Sorry for any blinding that may occur.))
Tohuku (2/6):

Regional Daimyo Satake Yoshihiro (Akita) - b. 1812 ((Firehound15))
Daimyo Date Narikuni (Sendai) - b. ? ((Otto of england))

Chubu (3/7):
Regional Daimyo Uesugi Narinori (Niigata) - b. 1820 ((Dadarian))
Daimyo Obama Baraku (Fukui) - b. ? ((Glueth))
Daimyo Reizei Yukihiko (Nagoya) - b. 1810 ((Ahearne))

Kanto (2/5):

Regional Daimyo Motoro Kusanagi (Yokohama) - b. ? ((Terraferma))
Daimyo Hayashi Tadafusa (Chiba) - b. 1765 ((Towll))

Kansai (4/4):
Regional Daimyo Tanabe Shinzou (Wakayama) - b. 1806 ((TJDS))
Daimyo Kishiwada Aito (Osaka) - b. 1815 ((mrlifeless))
Daimyo Matsui Hideki (Kobe) - b. 1806 ((AndreMassena))
Ake Takahashi (Nara) - b. 1808 ((VibraniumTaco))

Chugoku (3/4):
Regional Daimyo Mori Takachika (Choshu) - b. 1810 ((Qwerty7))
Daimyo Asano Naritaka (Hiroshima) - b. 1813 ((Marschalk))
Daimyo Oshiro Kazuki (Okayama) - b. 1809 ((Somberg))

Shikoku (1/3):
Regional Daimyo Yamauchi Toyosuke (Tosa) - b. 1794 ((oxfordroyale))

Kyushu (5/5):
Regional Daimyo Hosokawa Mitsuhide (Kumamoto) - b. 1815 ((LordTempest))
Daimyo Yamamoto Hirakuni (Nagasaki) - b. 1808 ((Davout))
Daimyo Ito Katashi (Miyazaki) - b. 1810 ((Michaelangelo))
Daimyo Shimazu Narioki (Kagoshima) - b. 1791 ((Noco19))
Daimyo Nishimura Hiroshi (Fukuoka) - b. 1805 ((EmperorBasilius))

SAMURAI:
Tohuku (1):
Sasaki Kojirou - b. ? ((Korona))
Kanto (2):
Tarou Seita- b. 1807 ((Artistove))
Kondou Takamori - b. 1810? ((Jack118))
Kansai (1):
Watenabe Yoshitsuke - b. ? ((Clophiroth))
Shikoku (1):
Sakamoto Naotari - b. ? ((zenphoenix)
Kyushu (1):
Zusho Hirosato - b. ? ((sealy300))

Last edited:
220px-Uesugi_Narinori.jpg

Name: 上杉斉憲 | Uesugi Narinori, 12th Lord of Clan Uesugi
Born: 20 June, 1820 (May 10, Bunsei 3)
Clan: Uesugi
Specialty: Daimyo
Province: Niigata Domain

Bio: Born the eldest son of Uesugi Narisada, Narinori was groomed to inherit the authority of the clan upon the passing of his father. To which he was taught from an early age in the arts of court diplomacy, being personally tutored by the clan's chamberlain. This would come in handy as his elderly father would meet with his ancestors on October 23rd, 1836, leaving the 16 year old Narinori to lead the clan to success into the uncertain future.

Even at his young age, Narinori was politically active. He was one of the founders of the Unity and Honour, a traditionalist and pacifistic party. Narinori was appointed to the Roju Council of the region of Chubu in 1836, when he also served as the Financial Advisor to the Shogun. Disagreements with Lord Satake in 1841 would result in his removal as Financial Advisor even as he retained his seat on the Roju Council. This agreement would be settled in 1849 when he would return as the Domestic Advisor to the Shogun. Noted for his important role in the bureaucracy of the Shogunate, he was appointed head of the Omiwaban (Shogunate's secret police) in 1849, a position he would hold until he end of the Boshin War.

Narinori would lose the next two appointments to the Roju Council in favour of the more liberal Lord Ota in 1851 and 1856, even though he was retained as one of the Shogun's advisors for five years after the first loss of his seat. As Satake retired and the liberal faction grew more powerful, Narinori and Unity and Honour would take a backseat in Shogunate politics. When the Boshin War broke out, Narinori elected to stay neutral and let Imperial forces cross his land peacefully. Alongside Lord Mori, the Unity and Honour would stay to see another day. However with the beginning of the Meiji Restoration, it was the beginning of a new era for Uesugi Narinori.

Poetry:

Narinori 1 ~ 1836
Narinori 2 ~ 1838
Narinori 3 ~ 1860

Titles:

Roju of Chubu ~ 1836 - 1851
Financial Advisor ~ 1836 - 1841
Domestic Advisor ~ 1849 - 1856
Head of the Omiwaban ~ 1849 - 1861
Head of the Unity and Honour Court Faction ~ 1836 - 1861

Last edited:
OfdDtW9.jpg

Yamauchi Toyosuke

Daimyo of Tosa, 12th Head of the Yamauchi Clan
b. May 11th, 1794

Province: Tosa (Kōchi)
Toyosuke became the daiymo of Tosa at the age of fifteen following the untimely death of his older brother Toyoaki, only one year his elder, in the winter of 1809. Immediately, rumors abounded at court that Toyosuke had his brother poisoned in order to become daimyo, immediately creating an aura of suspicion and unease around the new, young daimyo. It did not help that Toyosuke’s relationship with his older brother had been known to be a bad one – an intelligent yet quiet, lonely child, Toyosuke was often cruelly bullied by Toyoaki, and it was hypothesized by many that Toyosuke, resentful of his brother’s succession of his father and bitter over years of taunts and derision, had murdered him as both an act of ambition and revenge. However, in the months following Toyosuke’s ascension to the position of daimyo, the outpouring of whispers coming from the Tosa Province suddenly ceased. For whatever reason, the rumors emanating from the daimyo’s all dried up.

Upon becoming daimyo, Toyosuke proved to be extremely capable. In particular, his improvements to the administration of the province, which had not been altered for generations, were very progressive and effective. He also possessed a great degree of cunning, managing to not only survive, but even thrive in the cut-throat, complex world of politics and intrigues. Challenges to his rule from within his own family were dealt with quickly and quietly, and as he aged Toyosuke managed to secure a powerful place for himself at court. However, he is also a rather cold and distant ruler, never being one to try to get to know his people or to express any particular interest in their lives.

In 1813, at age nineteen, Toyosuke married the daughter of a samurai clan within his domain, Akimoto Kumiko, to consolidate his powerbase in the province. Their eldest son, Toyoteru, was born in 1815, followed by Toyoatsu and Toyoshige in 1824 and 1827, respectively.

The Yamauchi clan has been loyal to the Tokugawa dynasty ever since the founder of the clan, Yamauchi Kazutoyo, was rewarded the Tosa province after leading troops under Tokugawa Ieyasu at the Battle of Sekigahara, a major victory for the Tokugawa. Toyosuke maintains this tradition of loyalty, although perhaps only ostensibly – after all, he is practical above everything else. The survival and continued prosperity of the Yamauchi clan is his first priority.

Xa0zxVF.png

The Yamauchi Clan

Last edited:
Kunisada_Benkei_Portrait.jpg

Name:
Obama Baraku

Class: Daimyo

Province of Control: Fukui

History: Baraku is the proud scion of the Obama clan, feudal lords of the Obama Domain. A staunch liberal, Baraku dreams of the day when Japan will open up to the west and embrace modernity, casting off feudalism in favour of a new age where the Emperor rules with a benevolent hand over a modern, functioning Japan.​

Last edited:
Name: Date Narikuni
Province of Control: Sendai
History: Um, not sure I cant find anything on this guy, safe to say he existed and did stuff and died.

SATAKE YOSHIHIRO
naganori-asano-daimyo.jpg

Daimyo of Kubota
b. February 3rd, 1812

Province:
Akita

Background:
Taking the reins of leadership from his father at the age of three, Yoshihiro was quickly cast into an adult's world of political maneuvering and having to fend for himself. The young daimyo very quickly had to ward off jealous relatives, and in the process became a great swordsman. Yoshihiro, as a tozama daimyo, is in secret opposition to the current institution of the Shogunate, as were his forebears in the very early days of the Tokugawa Shogunate.

Name: Motoro Kusanagi
Province of Control: Yokohama (Within Region of Kanto)
Born: October 7, 1805
History: TBD

Last edited:
440px-Narioki_shimadzu.jpg
Name: 島津 斉興 | Shimazu Narioki, 10th Lord of Satsuma
Born: December 1, 1791
Clan: Shimazu
Province: Kagoshima Domain

Bio: Narioki was born in Edo, and was raised in part by his adoptive mother, a younger sister of Satake Yoshikazu. Narioki succeeded his father Narinobu as lord of Satsuma in 1809, at age 19. Since then, Narioki has proven to be a voice of tradition and limited reforms, primarily fascinated with the usage of gunpowder and cannons, but very reluctant to embrace the vast majority of westernization for fear of Japan being weakened and made servile.

Last edited:
SamuraiWoodcut1869.jpg

西郷 南洲 | Sasaki Kojirō

Samurai in the Tohuku province.

Sasaki Kojirō is a skilled disciple of the Niten-ryū style of combat, which was first founded by the master swordsman Miyamoto Musashi. Sasaki Kojirō's weapon of choice is a naginata. He serves in the Tohuku province.

640px-Kondo_Isami02.jpg

l 近藤高森 l Kondō Takamori

Samurai in the Kanto Region

Background - Toady
-5% Organization +10% Morale +1 Attack -10% Reliability
Personality - Clever
+5% Organization +0.25 Speed

Kondō Takamori is somewhat of a quiet and mischievous man in his mid twenties, an avid reader and a master of the Tennen Rishin-ryū style of combat, and art popularized by his predecessor, Kondō Kuranosuke Nagahiro. Takamori is trained in the use of the sword and the staff as well as hand-to-hand fighting, however Takamori is not a proponent of fighting, and would much rather stick to his books than resort to violence. Takamori is, however, one of the most adept fighters in Japan and the sōke of the Rishin-ryū style.

Last edited:
140px-Alex_K_Hiroshima_Asano_%28color%29.svg.png

3nobuyoshi_oda_mcrop.jpg

Name:
Asano Naritaka, Lord of Clan Asano, 10th Daimyo of Hiroshima
Born: 20 September 1813
Clan: Asano
Province: Hiroshima Domain (広島藩Hiroshima-han)

The Asano are descendants of the Emperor Seiwa (850-880), of Minamoto no Yorimitsu (944-1021), and are a branch of the Toki family. Minamoto no Mitsunobu, descended from Yorimitsu in the 4th generation, settled at Toki (Mino) and took the name of that place. The Toki were hereditary shugo (Governors) of Mino province until the 16th century. Wealthy and influentual within the region, they control nearly half a million koku of land property, including the whole Aki province and parts of the neighbouring Bingo province.

Born in the Hiroshima Castle, Asano Naritaka was always a person of brave and independent spirit. His father was often away and serving within the governmental councils and holding the office of shisha bugyo (the minister of shrines and temples). The young heir was educated by loyal samurai retainers and advisors of the clan. From his earliest childhood he has understood the importance the values of Bushido Code, of the loyalty to the Emperor and honorable behavior in all circumstances. A great lover of history,he quickly learned of the the story of Fourty-Seven Ronin, in which one of his bloodline participated, and with a beating heart, read aloud the death poem this hapless ancestor, Asano Nagahiro, had written before comitting seppuku.

「風さそふ花よりも / なほ我はまた / 春の名残を / いかにやとせん」
"kaze sasofu hana yori mo / naho ware ha mata / haru no nagori wo / ika ni yatosen."

"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

Gradually he became a great lover of poetry and started writing haiku. However, he did not limit himself to bookish knowledge. Avidly practicing with the sword, he imagined the battles of the future he would win. Lurking away from the castle, he conversed with strange white-haired foreigners in his port city - and then went to sea on a boat, eagerly battling the weather and winds...

When his father died, Naritaka was serving in military offices. Now he is eager to do his best to serve Japan and bring new glory to his clan. By his views he is a supporter of Japanese traditional ways - but believes that certain Western technical approaches may be useful for the Empire.

photo1.jpg
Name: 田辺 新蔵 | Tanabe Shinzō, 13th Lord of Tanabe Domain
Born: December 12, 1806 (30)
Clan: Tanabe
Province: Wakayama

Tanabe Shinzō was born as heir apparent to the daimyo of the relatively young Tanabe-clan, which rose to power during the last parts of Sengoku Jidai. The Tanabe-clan, then lead by the first Tanabe Shinzō, fought as commanders and retainers under Oda Nobunaga in his campaigns, most notably the Battle of Okehazama in 1560 and the Siege of Inabayama Castle, after which Tanabe Shinzo was given the Tanabe Domain in southern Kansai. After the death of Oda Nobunaga in 1582, the now Daimyo Tanabe Shinzō chose to retreat to Tanabe Castle, to rule the lands that had been all but deserted during the last part of the Sengoku Jidai. The Tanabe Clan remained a small house in Japanese politics and intrigue, but their influence in Kansai was large, and their Daimyos were seen as honourable administators of their territory.

When Tanabe Shinzō became Daimyo of Tanabe, after Tanabe Shengen joined his ancestors in 1830, he inherited a strong and respected title, but not a well-spoken one, for the Tanabe clan had stayed clear of both political intrigue and war for more than 250 years, believing that it would only harm the land they ruled, however, Tanabe Shinzo was a different man than his ancestors. Tanabe Shinzō had, after he finished his private education with the highest elites in Edo, worked with the Dutch in Dejima as representative of the Shogunate. There he saw the power of Dutch technologies and the need for adaption of the divided Japanese defense and agriculture, this belief was furthur enforced by the dialogues he had with the leader of the Dutch in Dejima, Jan Curtius, a Dutch scholar interested in both the Japanese culture - he wrote the Dutch book "Proeve eener Japansche Spraakkunst" the pinnacle of study of Japanese Language and Literature in Europe at the time - and the modernizations he saw and read about in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe. Thus, when he inherited the lands of the Tanabe, he returned a different man, a more liberal man, shocking many of his family members, who sought to neutralize this possible threat to the clan, however, Tanabe Shinzō was an able administrator and schemer and he quickly gained the support of the majority of the notables of the Tanabe lands by his successful progressive land policies, after which he could easily and quietly neutralize the last threats to his succesion. Tanabe Shinzō would be the first Daimyo of the Tanabe-clan to look outside the borders of his land for power since his namesake more than 250 years ago, whether he would survive the political intrigue of Edo remains to be seen.

Doi%20Toshikatsu%20(Wikipedia).jpg

Name: 林忠英 | Hayashi Tadafusa, 1st Lord of Jozai Domain
Born: 7th of August 1765 (71)
Clan: Hayashi
Speciality: Daimyo
Province: Chiba

The Hayashi are an ancient clan, rising up through the hierarchy from their service to the great clan Tokugawa since the Sengoku Jidai, fighting alongside the Shougun's forces for centuries, steadily increasing the size and value of their land holdings.

Tadafusa was called into direct shogunal service in 1781, at age 16, when he became the wardrobe supervisor and close assistant of the shogunal heir, Tokugawa Ienari. Succeeding to his family's headship in 1796, at age 31, he continued to serve in the shogunate for the rest of his career. In 1825, he was promoted from shogunal liaison officer (soba-goyo-toritsugi) to wakadoshiyori (junior councilor), and granted a stipend increase. This pushed his income level above the 10,000 koku line, and he went from being a taishin-hatamoto to being a fudai daimyo; in charge of his own domain in Chiba, but still technically vassal to the shogun.

Last edited: