• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private @zenphoenix ))

To Sakamoto Naotari

While I am glad to see you are still interested in joining the Fujin League, I admit I am a little off-put by your confession of being a member of the Imperial Restoration Faction. That rebel faction was known to have received support from Nanban intent on overthrowing the Shogun. The extent of Nanban influence is uncertain, and frankly I fear that accepting the resources that once belonged to the Imperial Restoration Faction may thus tie the Fujin League to them and lead to condemnation if discovered. While we do favour an increased role for the Emperor as he rightly deserves, we do not openly oppose the Shogun. Such a move would be considered as treason and endanger the Fujin League. While the ultimate decision should be left to my Roju, I would be willing to accept you into our faction if you swear to cut all ties to any Nanban that the Imperial Restoration Faction held. If you possess any damning evidence against your former faction, I suggest you keep that as distant from the Fujin League as possible. We want nothing to do with any possible acts of treason.

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

((Private @Michaelangelo))

To the Honorable Daimyo Ito Katashi:

As I joined the faction the same day that it was investigated for suspicious activities, I did not know about the "secret" members and their motives, nor did I know about the gaijin they were in contact with until they were all revealed and killed. I can provide you with letters revealing their correspondence and cooperation with the gaijin known as the United Kingdom, but other than that I have no other important pieces of information regarding the IRF, which I shall destroy henceforth when I dissolve the faction. I was not involved in their machinations or rebel activities, merely considering the faction a platform from which we could discuss and develop new ideas. (Now that I think about it, I was heavily drinking sake the night before sending in a letter to join the IRF, so I may not have been the most sane when I joined it.)
After the last war with the gaijin, I should probably make my position on the ruler of Nihon more clear. I do not wish to overthrow the Shogun and completely replace him with the Emperor. Instead, I wish to seek a balance between those who support the Shogun and those who support the Emperor, with the goal of limiting bloodshed between ourselves as much as possible. I feel that a violent overthrow of the Shogun would not be beneficial for all of us, as that would mean revolution and civil war.
I shall immediately sever all ties with the Igirisu, as I do not wish to associate with them for their role in the last war; I have no reason to continue associating with them anyways. Would you prefer that I hand over all weapons they shipped to the IRF to your faction or for them to be destroyed/shipped back?
If your faction cannot accept me into its ranks, please at least take my son. He is talented and would benefit you greatly, and he has no affliations with the IRF.

Regards,
Sakamoto Naotari

Japanese Industrialization Act: Aye
Nippon School Reform: Nay - While I support the reform our of school system, I do believe that we should wait for such reform and focus on establishing Nanban style factories first.

[Provincial]
[Chugoku]

~ Daimyo Ōshiro Kazuki of Okayama

Japanese Industrialization Act: Yes
Nippon School Reform: Yes

[Provoncial Daimyo]
[Kansai]

Daimyo Nishimura Hiroshi publishes this haiku:

日本の道 /
大新世界の波 /
一緒にマージ

Nihon no michi /
Daishin sekai no nami /
Issho ni māji

The Japanese way /
Waves of the modern new world /
Do not clash but merge

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese Industialization Act: Yes
Nippon School Reform: Yes

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

~ 大名西村浩、福岡藩の主 Daimyo Nishimura Hiroshi, Lord of the Fukuoka Domain

((Private @Michaelangelo))

To the Honorable Daimyo Ito Katashi:

As I joined the faction the same day that it was investigated for suspicious activities, I did not know about the "secret" members and their motives, nor did I know about the gaijin they were in contact with until they were all revealed and killed. I can provide you with letters revealing their correspondence and cooperation with the gaijin known as the United Kingdom, but other than that I have no other important pieces of information regarding the IRF, which I shall destroy henceforth when I dissolve the faction. I was not involved in their machinations or rebel activities, merely considering the faction a platform from which we could discuss and develop new ideas. (Now that I think about it, I was heavily drinking sake the night before sending in a letter to join the IRF, so I may not have been the most sane when I joined it.)
After the last war with the gaijin, I should probably make my position on the ruler of Nihon more clear. I do not wish to overthrow the Shogun and completely replace him with the Emperor. Instead, I wish to seek a balance between those who support the Shogun and those who support the Emperor, with the goal of limiting bloodshed between ourselves as much as possible. I feel that a violent overthrow of the Shogun would not be beneficial for all of us, as that would mean revolution and civil war.
I shall immediately sever all ties with the Igirisu, as I do not wish to associate with them for their role in the last war; I have no reason to continue associating with them anyways. Would you prefer that I hand over all weapons they shipped to the IRF to your faction or for them to be destroyed/shipped back?
If your faction cannot accept me into its ranks, please at least take my son. He is talented and would benefit you greatly, and he has no affliations with the IRF.

Regards,
Sakamoto Naotari

((Private @zenphoenix ))

To Sakamoto Naotari

It is indeed best that all that remains of the IRF be allowed to fade away. It was a failed movement that was treasonous at best. While its goal, elevating the Emperor to a higher position, was noble, its methods were not. If you truly intend to limit bloodshed, then I have no qualms with you joining the Fujin League. As I've said before, the ultimate decision lies with my Roju, Hosokawa Mitsuhide. You must speak to him on such matters.

Regarding the weapons, it would be foolish to give such things back to our enemy, yet keeping them might implicate us as conspirators. I'd recommend destroying them. They are tainted, no matter their usefulness.

((Private @zenphoenix ))

To Sakamoto Naotari

It is indeed best that all that remains of the IRF be allowed to fade away. It was a failed movement that was treasonous at best. While its goal, elevating the Emperor to a higher position, was noble, its methods were not. If you truly intend to limit bloodshed, then I have no qualms with you joining the Fujin League. As I've said before, the ultimate decision lies with my Roju, Hosokawa Mitsuhide. You must speak to him on such matters.

Regarding the weapons, it would be foolish to give such things back to our enemy, yet keeping them might implicate us as conspirators. I'd recommend destroying them. They are tainted, no matter their usefulness.

((private @Michaelangelo))

To the Honorable Lord Ito Katashi,

I shall do as you ask and destroy the weapons. The IRF and its failures have tainted them, and to hand them over to your faction would destroy the Fujin League the same way the IRF was destroyed.
At the earliest possible instant, I shall fully dissolve the IRF, which is both vestigial and dishonorable. I do not wish to affiliate myself with such a faction anymore.

I have already contacted Lord Hosokawa, and I hope he understands my predicament.

Regards,
Sakamoto Naotari

Final Tally (With all Samurai Bonuses and Regular Bonuses):

Guide: Yes/No/Abstain

Japanese Industrialization Act: 13.5/3/1

Passed
Nippon School Reform: 10.5/5/2
Passed

Satake (1853-1856): One Last Hurrah

It was a turbulent time to be living in Japan. The recent pact between the United States and the Japanese allowed Japan to tap into the resources of a nation whose power surpassed that of any nation on the planet. The USA was very willing to supply the latest in technology to the Japanese. The Japanese people though were beginning to feel thought that the United States was only looking at Japan as an economic opportunity rather then a diplomatic advancement. This was shown by the passing of the Japanese Industrialization Act, an act proposed by Lord Hosokawa, the master of reforms in Japan. The act passed with flying colors, and to help them out, the Americans sent an industrialist by the name of Jason Johnson, a cement-factory manager from Pittsburgh. Johnson immediately set out with the resources he had to build a cement factory in the capital region of Edo. With permission from the Shogun, work would begin on this new factory. By 1854, the factory had been completed, and a new breed of Japanese craftsmen would be employed in the factory. For the first time in its history, Japan had an operational industrial sector in the country, fit with managers, workers, and a factory system. This would prove to be Japan's greatest step to modernization. After all, if a country has an industry, is that not technically being industrialized? In the mist of all this though, the Nippon Education Act was vetoed, for being overly complex and being completely overshadowed by the JLA's achievements.

dY6bUY4.jpg

(The Johnson Company's first Japanese Factory)

America though had a very strong effect on the relations Japan had with its people. America, compared to the rest of the world, had the most liberal government ever conceived. That is what separated it from Europe. Universal suffrage, free press, right to assemble, all of which was established almost sixty years prior. Japanese people became very influenced by the American system of government. It gave power to the people, and not a divine entity. Thus, the birth of Japanese republicanism would begin with the rise of American influence on Japan. It would be very small, but some warriors decided to join this system, out of no-love for either the Emperor nor the Shogun. They did however view one policy of the US government with much disgust, slavery. America's slave system was tearing the country apart. Across the seas, many events relating to slavery began ripping through American society. First, a crazed gunman by the name of John Brown would take over an armory in Virginia to try and start a rebellion. He failed and was executed. Second, a man by the name of Dredd Scott would be sentenced by the Supreme Court into slavery, even though he was being held in a free state. These events threatened to tear the Americans apart, and it would ripple into Japan. Without America, Japan would be powerless to stop another invasion.

Yet, Japan's nobles decided to raise the armies anyway. Thousands of troops would be commissioned in every region of Japan. In Kansai, 36,000 troops would be raised, making the total army of Kansai over 66,000 strong. In Chubu, the ambitious Lord Sukekatsu would raise over 21,000 troops. In Kanto, Lord Motoro would raise over 18,000 troops. Many foreign observers would comment that "Japan looked as if it was going to war, with itself." Indeed, tensions were very high among Daimyo at this time. The tensions soon split into regional boundaries, with the North supporting tradition under the banner of the Thunder Alliance and the Unity and Honor Faction, while the south and center of Japan would be united by the Self Strengthening Faction and the Fujin League. It seemed the south and center were pro-westernization, while the north was pro-tradition. The people of Japan did not mind. For a brief time, the people experienced wealth. A massive surplus in place of new tariffs would drop taxes to 40%. However, this was short lived, for the tariffs failed, and the taxes were raised again to 75%.

kD708rF.jpg

(Lord Tanabe inspecting his troops)

At the start of 1856, a new Roju would have to be selected. Lord Satake vowed he would never try to take the mantle of Tairo again, and his twenty year reign would come to an end. Lord Satake has been through a lot over these years, a war, an invasion, two master nations, and the divide between westernizers and traditionalists. He had appointed saviors and butchers to his council, and reigned in those who dared question the Shogun's authority. The leaving of Satake was the end of an era almost. Now the only question was, who would replace the great Lord Satake?

----------------------------------

Player Actions Needed: Roju Selection Time! Declare your intent to sit on the Roju now! Remember, if you are a defending Roju member, make sure you declare against a challenger, otherwise you will not be reappointed. Declarations end tomorrow at 11:00 PM EST or Tuesday at 3:00 AM GMT.

Reform Tab:

9Xqwa2M.png

Military Tab:

gibWQPd.png

Last edited:
I will run for Rōju. If appointed I will continue my moderate practice and rule as you, my Daimyo, wish.

~ Ota Sukekatsu; 3rd Lord Fureno-Shizuoka & Rōju Rep for Chubu

((I'm using my title until the elections end, do not question me!))

I put myself forward as a candidate to serve on the Roju for the Tohuku Region. I do this for a simple reason: If we wish peace we must temporarily halt reforms. I have seen what modernism can do to a society steeped in tradition. In Spain, their emperor had absolute power and foolishly allowed radical modernizers to run things. So while the people were expected to fulfill all of their ancient duties, the nobles in the capital attempted to take control of work away from the lords of the countryside, with something called "state-controlled unions". They altered traditions without giving the people any of the "freedom" the Yankees talk about, and what did it bring them? Half of their factories were closed by the time I got there, and they were greatly indebted to other nations. And while their homeland burned, they wasted blood and treasure on occupying the neighboring Portuguese people, rather than being wise liege lords and keeping properly aloof from their vassal, as is the Eastern way. This is the madness of Western barbarism and I fear the Spanish daimyo will not last many more generations.

If we wish to retain our privileges we must not forget our duties, and the primary duty of a warrior is to keep the peace. We cannot be like the Spanish and introduce radical reforms from the capital on an unwilling populace. Our authority comes with an ancient trust that we will maintain the old ways and protect the nation. We are protecting the nation with our military build-up, which does honor to our mighty Shogun, but we cannot keep meddling otherwise so. There needs to be a rest from these rapid changes, especially now that the steady hand of Tairo Satake is no longer guiding us.

If we want Nippon to be stronger, instead of Westernizing our education we should promote literary. We should not be like Spain, a "modern" country with a mere 14% literacy. That is because they are descended from dirt-dwelling barbarians, but we are from the civilized East and have no excuse for not being learned.

That is why I wish to be the Tohuku Roju and serve on the Advisory Council, doing my best to aid whoever might become Tairo, no matter where they are from or what faction they might belong to.

Reactions:
I will for Roju of Kansai, I sense the clouds of war brewing, and Kansai must be strong!

- Kishiwada Yukio , Daimyo of Osaka

((Naxhi, why don't you enact the reformed Education system?))

((Since both the JLA and the Education Reform passed, I had to roll to determine where the research points would go. The dice picked the JLA. Also, we would have been at 100% westernization if both passed, which means Boshin War.))

I will run for Roju of Kansai

Diamyo Tanabe Shinzou

I wish to be considered to be appointed to the Roju Council for Chubu.