• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chosokame Murder Attempt!

Ito Chosokame was fired upon by a random thug today in a tavern while enjoying a drink. The thug however was given poor armaments and given blanks instead of real bullets. The situation was very odd, but many speculate why someone wanted Ito dead. Ito had been an oddball in the Freedom Party hierarchy, and it would be no surprise that an FP member would want him dead before his plans of creating a separate party tore the opposition up any further. The assassin managed to get away and avoid local police. The odd situation would be seen as just another attempted murder, a regular crime.

((Someone tried to kill Luft but failed))

Whoever is trying to kill off members of the FP is clearly as mad as the gaijin and the corrupt leaders in the last election. This madness and killing will get us nowhere. I demand an investigation into all political parties in order to find out what is going on here once we win the war!

((Private))

I hope they don't come after me next...

Ryoma hires some loyal bodyguards for his family and begins practicing with a gun and a katana.

Hiroshima, 1891

"Are you kidding me?"

Nagane Hidetoshi stared at the telegram he had received from Kyoto.

SCANDAL LOOKS BAD STOP
DATE APPOINTED PM AGAIN STOP
BEST TO HOLD OFF ON TRAIN TICKETS STOP

"Is this a joke?" he asked the messenger in a state of belief.

"Sah, it ain't my job to read the telegrams, capice? I just bring 'em here. Now you gonna pay me or not?" the messenger said in almost incomprehensibly think Kansai-ben.

"Yeah, right," mumbled Hidetoshi, almost throwing a 1-yen coin at the page. He pocketed it before leaving the office.

It was almost incomprehensible. In a span of weeks he had gone from being ready to become Deputy Prime Minister - then possibly Prime Minister, even, after Mori's assassination - to having absolutely nothing once again. He had virtually bankrupted himself on funding the Constitutional Democrats, and - somehow - it had worked. If not for the Constitutional Democrats, the entire opposition would have been in shambles.

And this was the thanks he got?

"Hide-kun, what's-" said Ai, opening the door and stopping short when she noticed her husband staring with his mouth agape at the telegram.

"Just...read it..." he said, passing her the slip of paper.

Ai read the short message, staring down at it. "Oh, Hide..."

"Did I piss off a youkai or something?" said Hide. "I must be cursed..."

"So...you're not..."

"Not at this rate, I'm not," said Hidetoshi. "I spent almost everything I had on that damn election, and now they're having another one? Damn Freedom Party... Even when I leave, they continue to haunt me... Ah well, maybe it's just as well. Half of our cabinet's dead now, anyway... What is it with this country?"

"You shouldn't say such things," said Ai, moving to comfort him. "We'll be all right."

"What the hell am I even supposed to do now, anyway?" said Hidetoshi, instinctively clenching his fist. "It's like the Freedom Party is an army of idiots..."

As he was saying it, he heard a small knock on the door. A small boy poked his head through the door.

"Dad? Are you and Mom fighting?" asked Jun, walking into the room.

"Hm? No, no, dear, Daddy just had a bad day at work," said Ai. Hidetoshi forced a smile.

"Oh, OK. Can I go play at Sho-chan's house today?"

"All right," said Ai, "but ask Uehara-san to take you. Don't go running off by yourself."

"Thank you! And Daddy, please feel better soon!" Jun ran off down the hallway.

Ai chuckled. "He reminds me of you as a kid..."

"I wasn't anywhere near that nice," said Hidetoshi, adding a heavy sigh.

"Did I detect a hint of a smile?"

Hidetoshi sighed again. "Yeah, maybe you did."

Ai laughed again. "Hey, you can deal with this later. Come spar with me! Oyama-sensei gave me an extra naginata to practice with. It'll be fun!"

"But I've never even picked up one of those things..."

"Oh, is my little rich boy afraid he's going to lose? Typical." She winked.

It was Hidetoshi's turn to laugh. "You're so damn energetic all the time... I married a typhoon in human form." She was right, though. Angry letters could wait until tomorrow. Besides, Akiko was asleep and Jun would be out for at least a few hours. Time like this was hard to come by.

Who needed Kyoto, anyway?

((You know what I am scrapping the idea of rigging elections. I will probably still use them to make interesting RP and situations, but in normal circumstances I feel that they will cause too much controversy OOC.))

Reactions:
Player Actions Needed: Privy Council please vote on making Kusaribe Kinzo and Yamagata Michitsura counts, Unryu Raizo a baron, adding Tanabe Shinzo and Nishimura Masaru to the Privy Council, and making Shimazu Narioki as Justice on the Supreme Court.

Sample Ballot:

((Privy Council (Riccardo, Zen, Marschalk) Only))

Kusaribe Kinzo be made a Count: Yes/No/Abstain
Yamagata Michitsura be made a Count: Yes/No/Abstain
Unryu Raizo be made a Baron: Yes/No/Abstain
Count Tanabe Shinzo be put on the PC: Yes/No/Abstain
Count Nishimura Masaru be put on the PC: Yes/No/Abstain
Shimazu Narioki be made a Justice: Yes/No/Abstain

[Rank of Nobility]

Voting ends Saturday at 9:00 PM EST or Sunday at 1:00 AM GMT

Kusaribe Kinzo be made a Count: Yes
Yamagata Michitsura be made a Count: Yes
Unryu Raizo be made a Baron: Yes
Count Tanabe Shinzo be put on the PC: Yes
Count Nishimura Masaru be put on the PC: Yes
Shimazu Narioki be made a Justice: Yes

[Prince]

((Two more bonuses for you guys

For mrlifeless:

Industrial Legacy
Definition: As the lead industrialists for Japan, the Kishiwada dynasty has come a long way from being traitors in Edo Japan. Kishiwada Yukio, living up to the beliefs of his dead brother, joined the Emperor in the Boshin War and has made a hefty profit in the process. The Kishiwada family's yen is more valuable then any other yen. This makes it easier for them to fund and lobby for campaigns and bills.
Ability: Takes 33% off of the Yen-per-VP purchase price (100K for every other industrialist, 66K for mrlifeless).
Duration: Indefinite until revoked by the GM
Owner: Kishiwada Dynasty members played by mrlifeless.

For EmperorBasilius:

Financier Legacy
Definition: Money rules the governments of the world. Without it, the government would not be able to function. It is very important for a government to have money, and trust must be put into the Minister of Finance to make a budget and get the money needed to run the government. The Nishimura family has been Financial Ministers for over 35 years, faithfully serving the government and passing budget after budget. Whether it be war budgets, peace budgets, emergency budgets, it doesnt matter. The Nishimura family knows what it is doing, and thus, they have some sway over the budget and the population for controlling their taxes.
Ability: +2 VP
Duration: Indefinite until revoked by the GM
Owner: Nishimura Dynasty members player by EmperorBasilius

))

Ministry of the Interior

After careful consideration, the Ministry of the Interior has decided to maintain the current focus on our industries. We possess a considerable capacity to recruit new brigades if the Ministry of War should so wish. At some stage, it may be necessary to move the focus back to another recruitment drive to bolster our ranks after the present War of the Liberation of Hokkaido but this is not the time. The Ministry believes that it is in the best interest of the Nation to keep our factories running which produce the necessaries of war for our soldiers and sailors and the wellbeing of our citizens. The profits and income produce taxes which we need to feed and arm our men. The continuity of life produces peace of mind that the NLP and the great Prince Date are able to protect the Empire in these troubled times of attacks from within and without.

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Count of Nagasaki
Minister for the Interior

*************************************************************************************

((Private letter to the Prime Minister))

To my great Prince Date

Whilst I welcome your appointment as Prime Minister again to guide our great nation, I lament the circumstances that meant the NLP was deprived of the satisfaction of popular acclamation at the election due to the perfidy of the Mori. I gained some solace that the man who denied me a seat on the Privy Council for being too unworthy has been brought down in such infamy and dishonour to his family's name.

In this regard, I must express a fear that has grown in my breast that the fraud of the Jiyudo party may be part of a wider plot by foreign powers. It was well know that the "Freedom" party aggressively pushed a "Peace at all costs" policy in differentiation to the noble policies of national defence promoted by the NLP. One would not be stretching credulity to say that the chief beneficiaries of that policy would be the British and Russian. In particular, the British are notorious for using their wealth to purchase traitors from within their colonial targets, and certain industrialist supporters of the Jiyudo party were rumoured to have taken out large loans to help fund their campaign. Once the War is over, I would strongly suggest that the Ministry of Justice investigate the party as a whole to consider whether it may have been a collaborative front for the Gaijin.

On more immediate concerns, I humbly request that you consider my proposal for the expansion of our army and navy, and if you are in agreement, pass the suggestions on to the Ministry of War. I am concerned that Japan can win the war against the British and Russians but that we are presently doing so with only one hand whilst the other lies idle.

As a consequence of a recruitment drive by the Ministry of the Interior after the Great Asian War, we have a large reserve of men who are ready, willing and able to serve in our army. Our treasury also holds the funds to pay for their recruitment and outfitting. I have considered carefully the options, and I would strongly recommending that we engage in a course of recruiting 40 brigades of professional troops now, rather than raise 110 brigades by mobilisation. The professional troops will greater durability in the hard fight ahead. Furthermore mobilisation would adversely disrupt our industry at a time when we need the taxes which flow from a strong economy.

In particular, I would suggest creating 2 forces, to be called Special Naval Landing Forces (SNLF) no. 1 and 2 to be comprised of 20 brigades each. They will be operating on the Pacific Islands rather than Asia, in amphibious operations and defending isolated holdings for extended periods of time until relief forces could arrive. As such, I would propose no cavalry as there would be no flanks to protect, and horses take up too much space in the transports, compared to the machine gun companies. I would suggest each SNLF be comprised of 15 Infantry Brigades for firepower, 2 Engineer Brigades to clear or build fortifications, and 3 Artillery Brigades for support. I also suggest that we maintain a dedicated SNLF transport fleet of 20 steamships and protecting vessels.

The SNLF No. 1 could be used to help liberate Hokkaido whilst the SNLF No. 2 is raised. Once Hokkaido is freed, and a garrison army is installed, the 2 SNLF Corps could be consecutively landed in Luzon to free and then defend the Phillipines possessions from any counter attack.

As a final note on this point, we also hold capacity to build more warships. In addition to the SNLF transport fleet, I humbly suggest that we build to new warships to our capacity. Furthermore, I strongly suggest that we study the new German cruisers. As an island Empire, our navy is our shield, and we clearly need to improve given the surprise assaults by the British in our most northern and southern islands. The ironclads and monitors are suitable for coastal defence but we need to develop a true Blue Water doctrine and the all purpose ocean going vessels which go with such principles or we will remain at the mercy of technologically superior Europeans who will seek to snipe off our lands across the sea.

Finally, I again humbly request that you grant me a command in the field, my great Prince. Whilst I am happy to serve my Emperor in the Ministries of the Interior or Commerce at his wish, I truly desire to earn honour for my family's name, and to honour my father, the late Count Hirakuni, by fighting for Japan against its enemies. Should you see fit, I would willingly serve in one of the SNLF. I promise a most thorough campaign in reducing the Gaijin threat in our Pacific perimeter.

I remain your obedient servant,

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe

Interim Government Order #274: War Taxes
This order gives the interim goverment more control over taxation during war, allowing levieing additional taxes.
((Economic policy changed to interventionism))

Interim Budget of the Empire of Japan

ALL Taxes 80%
Tariffs 25%
Land and Naval Stockpile 100 %
Construction 30%
Education 25%
Administration 5%
Military 50%

((I have done some thinking, and I am deciding to change some things.

I. Originally assassinations only had a ten year cool-down if you got caught. I am expanding that to 10 years regardless if you get caught or not. Basically you can now only try to assassinate someone once every ten years, and only one person at a time (*glares at Michaelangelo*).

II. Military Coups no longer will require the 10 MIL+CON requirement, and can be initiated at any time. The militarist in question has to be in charge of an army to begin, and will work similarly like the Boshin War, a tactical aspect to planning the Coup. The Coup's army's goal will be to take the capital and secure it for a month while the government's job is to stop them. If the coup army is destroyed or beaten enough times then the Coup will fail and its supporters will be killed. The Coup can get stronger if the army has mutinous soldiers, or if the MIL is high for militias to join the Coup. It can also get weaker if MIL is low and the army joins the government's side.

III. Political revolutions:

First, political revolutions will be officially defined as pieces of legislation that either change the structure of the government to something different in-game terms, or something aimed to remove a party from power. This no longer applies to mass reform or multiple reforms at once.

Second, political revolution success will be based on MIL. The angrier the population, the more applauded a revolution will be. The higher the MIL, the less percentage of VP needed to get a successful revolution. If MIL is at say 8, then only 20% of the thread's VP will be needed to get a successful revolution. If MIL is at say 1, then 90% of the thread's VP will be needed to get a successful revolution. Thread VP is defined as the VP (bonuses included) of everyone who votes in that vote.

Third, in order to prevent popular political revolutions from getting destroyed by the people's response roll, I will be using a "True Roll" system. The True Roll is the roll-MIL. So if I roll a 10, and MIL is 9, then the True Roll shall be 1. If MIL is 1, and I roll a 2, the True Roll shall be 1. The True roll is what the people's response is.

These are just ideas. If you wish to discuss them in detail or have your opinions on them, feel free to PM me. I am up for edits, and I will put this to a vote if need be. ))

Reactions:
Kusaribe Zaibatsu Activity '91

Kansai, Expand:
Machine Parts 2 -¥12.74k

Kanto, Expand:
Liquor 6 -¥7.42

Invest ¥40,000 in Nippon Rail with priority on home isles.

Leaving: ¥1003995

jg1c0nk.png

We have decided to decree the following:

The Kusaribe and Yamagata families be made Counts in the nobility of Japan.

That the Raizo family be made Barons in the nobility of Japan.

That Count Tanabe Shinzou and Count Nishimura Masaru be put on the Privy Council

That Shimazu Narioki be made a Justice in Japan's court system.

-Emperor Meiji

((Private))
Chosokame thought to himself:
Lord Mori may have been a weak willed pacifist and is seen by many as being Dishonourable, but he took Power into his own hands when it was needed most.
He was a hero, martyred for his beliefs, and for that Nippon should be eternally thankful.

((Public))
Announcing the creation of the:
統一と強 党
Tōitsu to -kyō party

The parties policies are:

• Trade Policy: Protectionism, the average Japanese man needs protection economically from the West, who would take advantage of him and exploit him.
    • Economic Policy: State Capitalism, The state must be able to control some of the means of production, especially heavy industry and the arms manufacturing, so that in times of war, Japan may be self sufficient.
    • Religious Policy: Secularism, why should the state pry into the average man's heart? As long as they commit Tia. Better Japan, they can believe whatever they want to.
    • Citizenship Policy: Residency, Japan is a fantastic nation, we can't allow it to be swamped with masses of foreigners, who gain citizenship and vote without Japan's best interests at heart, they should be discouraged and if nessecary repulsed.
    • War Policy: Jingoism, Japan is being held down by the western nations, the same ones that seek to destroy our very way of life. The only language these barbarians understand is the clange of steel and the pulsing of a gun. To secure Japan's safety we will have to use force.
But what does this new party stand for?
Simply it stands for Japan and its people. Japan has been wracked with destruction from political instability. The party believes that in Japan there should be one nation, one people and one leader.
For the average person, life will be better, they will be protected from foreign attacks, both figuratively and economically. Unemployment will also crash through the floor, with government projects benefiting the nation and the person.

Every person in Japan must play their part in creating a better future.

Shinjite, obei, faito

Last edited:
From the Office of the Chief and the Army and Navy General Staffs

Hokkaido Campaign Battle Plans

There are three potential plans for the upcoming campaign:

The first shall be commenced should the crossing from Honshu to Hokkaido be found unprotected; Prince Date shall lead the forces over and then attack the British, if possible from multiple directions.

Should this prove unfeasible (the British maintaining the defence of Hokkaido), the Imperial Army shall withdraw the majority of the corps away from Tohuku in a bid to lure out the British army from its entrenched position upon the island of Hokkaido – upon their landing in Honshu, move the corps back into the front with swiftness to encircle and crush the British. The fleet shall initially move out of Hokkaido to allow for the safe passage of the British, and then return to position to constrict them and deny them the potential to flee.

Should this prove unworkable, due to any number of circumstances – though most likely attributable to caution on the part of the British commander, consider the possibility of utilising the plans suggested by Count Yamamoto, that is a marine landing into an unoccupied region of the island, to serve as a distraction for the British and to allow for Prince Date to lead the liberation force.

Should this too prove unfeasible, once again unite the forces of the Imperial Army and cross en masse into Hokkaido to use overwhelming numbers to crush the British.

Following victory in Hokkaido, move immediately several corps to reinforce Chosen and set up a stable front along the Russian border; follow that up with again Count Yamamoto’s suggestion, and launch several naval attacks into the Kamchatka peninsula, behind the main Russian line; reinforce those positions as needed. Whilst keeping a substantial force on Honshu (roughly 100,000), the remaining forces not committed will move to reinforce Chosen and begin a full offensive there, with the intention of meeting and supporting the marine forces.

In the event of another attack upon the Home Islands, mobilise the citizenry and prepare for a counter-attack; the navy shall be used in this capacity to protect the Home Islands when possible.

((Private - Riccardo))

Dear Marshal Prince Date,

I have read your battle plans for retaking Hokkaido, my home land. I have noticed that there has been no mention of my involvement in Hokkaido nor anywhere else. I find that this is a misjudgment. I was born and raised on Hokkaido and so I know it better than anyone. I think that this knowledge would prove invaluable. It is also the homeland of my people, and I am more than willing to die for my people.

I request that I join the campaign to retake Hokkaido because I wish to fight for my people.

- General Atakshir Toyokama

Atakshir Toyokama

You are correct in noticing my orders did not specify a role for you and your men; however, I trust that your forces will act as auxiliaries and guides for the main army, as well as irregulars fighting against the British when it comes to that. Furthermore, I have faith in your knowledge of the terrain and lay of the land to assist in our campaign to free Hokkaido from the invaders.

~ Marshal Prince Date Munenari

Justice Shimazu Narioki extends his supreme humility before the Emperor, and gratitude towards the Imperial Government. In his words, "I shall serve to bulwark against the criminal and dishonorable elements of the Empire from within."

Date's Intermin Government (1891-1893) Pt.1: Advances and Wins

The election of 1891 was the most corrupt election in the history of Japan. With the fraud of Mori being revealed, the NLP grind its teeth to not only tear the hearts out of the British for occupying Hokkaido, but to tear the throats of the Freedom Party members engaged in the activity that denied the National Liberal Party another victory. Yet Date Munenari had other plans in mind then to fight the Freedom Party. The Freedom Party was all but dead at this point, with little chance of survival at this point. Date Munenari did not care for the opposition, he had a war to win.

Date Munenari's first and primary goal was to take back Hokkaido. The British had 63,000 troops stationed on Hokkaido ready to assault mainland Japan at a moment's notice. Date had twice that many in Tohuku waiting for the British to attack. Date decided to use a feign tactic to get the British to attack first, and then have the Japanese army swarm the British once the British reached Honshu. The British would be effectively crushed, and Hokkaido would be easily liberated. Date's plan worked brilliantly. The British general Hubert Odoni fell for the trap, and was effectively crushed by the waves of Japanese forces at Aomori. A British journalist wrote "The Japanese kept coming in wave after wave, seemingly endless. Our band of men held out as best as they could, but the typhoon of Japanese soldiers kept on pouring down on us". The British limped back across Hokkaido, but were pursued rapidly by the Japanese. The Japanese fell on them, and the entire force of 63,000 British men were either killed, wounded, or captured. Hokkaido was easily liberated by Date Munenari. One such individual who came to Munenari following his liberation was Ainu native Toyokawa Itakshir, the leader of a group of Ainu rebels fighting the British. While Date was mostly against having minorities lead forces, Toyokawa had shown his brilliance in battle, and so Date put him with one of his Corps.

T9sQ3nT.png

However the victory in Hokkaido was short lived. Reports soon started flooding in that 66,000 British troops led by General Leopold Smith had landed on Kyushu, and were besieging Nagasaki. General Yamamoto Gonnohyoe did not want to see his home attacked again, and so rushed ahead to defend Kyushu from the British. Date Munenari and Toyokawa Itakshir were right behind him. The British though attacked first, and Leopold Smith engaged Yamamoto at Chogoku. The British were easily defeating Yamamoto and his men, until the bulk of the Imperial Army arrived to assist Yamamoto. Leopold Smith was caught off guard by the incoming Japanese troops. During the battle, it was said that Leopold Smith was making base in the Mori estate. Date Munenari ordered the estate shelled to bits. The Mori estate was destroyed in minutes by the barrage of artillery. Some say that Date did this as a political move to show he did not tolerate what Mori did. The Freedom Party was too weak to condemn Date Munenari however, and they applauded the move as much as the NLP did. Leopold Smith would be chased out of Chugoku, and back into Kyushu. The Imperial Army chased them down and eradicated the British. Leopold Smith himself would be captured in battle. Date Munenari decided now was the best time to do a prisoner exchange. He offered to exchange Leopold and the British soldiers captured in Kyushu and Hokkaido for the Japanese troops lost in the Philippines and Governor-General Iroh Hirotaka. The British agreed, and Iroh was freed. Leopold Smith would get his vengeance though for his humiliation.

4J6Cwu3.png

ldOd3FA.jpg

(British POWs)

After Kyushu was freed, Date had a dilemma. 120,000 Russian, Persian, Serbian, and British troops were on the Korean border. They were dug in and well entrenched, but so was the Korean Garrison. Date needed a way to draw out the Russians from Vladivostok enough for a full out assault. Kusenagi Miroka and Yamagata Michitsura had an idea. The two generals would attack the penninsular of Kamchatka, and have the Russians pull back to defend their flank. After this, Vladivostok would be attacked in full force. As the Corps gathered in Korea, Yamagata and Kusenagi were landed with over 54,000 troops to attack Kamchatka. Their invasion was a success, and they quickly swept the region, occupying the area. However the problem was the population of Kamchatka was less then the Imperial Army sent to take it! Food was limited, and only transports from the sea kept the Japanese going. The Russian winter also took its toll on the forces. Soon, they encountered thick fortifications guarding the flank of the Russians, and decided to fault short of it and wait till the Summer.

BYJi52b.jpg

(Steamers near Kamchatka)

With the invasion of Kamchatka not going as planned, Date Munenari ordered the 220,000 troops in Korea to attack the Russians at Vladivostok. The Imperial Army charged headfirst into Russian territory, and were met by a combined Anglo-Persian-Russo-Serbian army. The alliance army held its ground as the Imperials attacked in wave after wave. Asano Hisanori, Nobunage Tadakaka, Toyokawa Itakshir, and Date Munenari plowed through the alliance line. The Imperial Army soon forced the alliance army into a full retreat. Casualties were enormous on both sides, with both suffering over 25,000 casualties. Date Munenari ordered the Imperial Army to give chase into the region of Khabarovsk, to eliminate the Russian forces once and for all, and to win this war. This was his greatest moment, he was sure this would be his greatest victory. If he could beat the British, nothing could stop him! He would live forever as a legend!

The assault on Khabarovsk would end up being the greatest military disaster in the history of Japan...

------------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: Wait...

Last edited:
Date's Intermin Government (1891-1893) Pt.2: Judgement Day at Khabarovsk

Khabarovsk, a former Qing outpost converted into a Russian town. Khabarovsk was a small town of a few thousand people, mostly of Han Chinese origin. Russian settlers are common in the region, and the town is administered by Russians. Khabarovsk is a place of isolation for many who came here to escape the realities of life in western Russia, away from the eye of the Tsar, and hopefully from war. However war would come to Khabarovsk, and the greatest battle ever fought in modern Asia would take place right in the town.

foFMq4v.jpg

(The town of Khabarovsk, circa 1880s)

175,000 Japanese troops were in hot pursuit of about 75,000 Anglo-Russo-Serbian-Persian forces after loosing Vladivostok to the encroaching Imperial Army. Leading the Japanese were Marshall Date Munenari, General Nobunage Tadekaka, General Asano Hisanori, and General Toyokawa Itakshir. Leading the alliance forces was British General Leopold Smith, Russian Marshall Roman Yegrov, and Persian General Moin ed-Din Davallu. The Russians had backup units in the event that the Japanese would try to push deeper into Russia. about 50,000 Russian reinforcements backed up the 75,000 Alliance soldiers moving into Khabarovsk, boosting Russian numbers to about 125,000. The alliance forces did not even have time to prepare for defenses as Imperial Forces rushed into an assault. However, the Russian defenses established by the 50,000 Russians already there proved efficient in stopping the onslaught of Japanese forces. The battle of Khabarovsk would be divided up into four different fronts, each one named after the army the Japanese were attacking. The first was the Serbian Front, led by the Serbian expeditionary force. The second was the Persian front, led by General Davallu. The third was the British front, led by Leopold Smith. The last was the Russian front, led by Marshall Yegrov. Asano Hisanori would attack the Russian front, Toyokawa Itakshir would attack the Serbian front, Nobunage Tadekaka would attack the Persian front, and Date Munenari would attack the center British front.

UXijr8c.jpg

The Serbian front was the easiest to overtake. The Serbians had few troops, and were easily overran by Toyokawa Itakshir. Itakshir would then move to put his troops on the flanks of the other alliance forces, and proceed to try and flank them. Roman Yegrov would move his troops in an "L" shape pattern and try to disengage the Ainu general from attacking the Russian line. Roman Yegrov would also have to deal with General Hisanori attacking his front. Yegrov's line was the biggest though, and easily held back the advancing Imperials on both his sides. The Japanese would suffer massive casualties trying to break the Russian lines. The battle between the lines dragged on for months as the Russians and Japanese pounded each other and continually assaulted and counter-assaulted.

3WyaNy1.jpg

Realizing that his forces were spread thin, Date Munenari would have to make a decision. Nobunage Tadekaka would advise to hold and shell the enemy position to dwindle their numbers. Toyokawa Itakshir though suggested an all ought assault, which Nobunage argued was suicide. Date Munenari made up his mind, and agreed to Itakshir's plan. On September 1st, 1893, Date set his plan into motion, and launched an a lot assault on the enemy position. The Japanese attacked in one massive wave, and were making advances into the alliance line. However, the alliance line would hold. The line was not sturdy, and seemed ready to collapse. Leopold Smith needed a way to keep his troop's morale up. His opportunity came later in the battle.

Date Munenari was watching the battle from the back of line, giving orders, and overseeing the attack. However, as his plan of ultimate glory came into fruition, his greatest achievement, the victory that would make him a LEGEND, he was hit in chest by an object. He fell off his horse, and felt immense pain. His uniform became soaked red in blood. A Russian sniper had hit Date right in the chest, and the wound was very serious. The third corp, led by Kusanagi Miroki (who had recently come in to reinforce the battle) fought forward in a heroic effort to secure Date's body before the Russians overpowered them. This showed how committed some officers in the Imperial Army were to their commander. Kusanagi was a Freedom Party supporter, yet he risked his life and limb to get Date's body out of the fighting. This showed that perhaps partisanship should not matter as much as people believe it should. Kusanagi had his soldiers rush the Marshall back to the base camp, and Date was taken out of the battle.

This was the chance Leopold Smith and the other alliance generals needed. General Davallu of the Persian force would see this before, and order a massive counter attack on Nobunage Tadakaka's force. The Persians caught the Japanese completly off-guard, and chased them off the battlefield. Nobunage himself would be captured in the ensuing counter-attack, and Davallu himself would make sure Nobunage would be in the best of care during the battle. Nobunage was Minister of War to the Japanese government, so the price for his ransom would be huge. Persia was in a state of financial crisis as it declared bankruptcy following its declaration of war with Japan. Davallu had little funds to keep his troops supplied, and since Persia was a newly western nation, its troops lacked experience with modern equipment. Davallu would make sure the money obtained by Nobunage's ransom could help Persia out of its financial crisis.

khDfeKh.jpg

Davallu would take the Persian army and move up from the right flank. The Japanese would soon find themselves encircled in a half-circle made by Persian and Russian forces. The Persians would press on the Japanese flank, and would inflict massive casualties. The British soon joined in the flanking, and were pressing hard on the Japanese flank. Asano Hisanori tried to rally his troops to stay and fight, but would be unable to. A cannonball from a British cannon would take Hisanori's whole left arm off. Asano would bleed out and die before he managed to get to a field hospital. The great Asano Hisanori, whom Koreans served for years, and whose foreign relations kept Japan afloat in a sea of hatred by its neighbors, was dead. ((Marschalk has died in battle)).

Seeing himself as the only commander left for the Imperial Army, Toyokama Itakshir would begin to call a retreat. The attack on the town of Khabarovsk was inflicting too heavy of loses on the Japanese army. In a strange twist of fate, Itakshir, the man who suggested the full assault, would be the only general to leave the battle. However, not before the unthinkable happened. Date Munenari was in terrible condition as the Japanese retreated from battle. They said that while he was being moved, Date fought to stay alive. However, upon word of the death of Asano Hisanori, and the capture of Nobunage Tadekaka, he lost the will to fight. He picked up his sword, and handed it off to his grandchild. It was the tradition of Japanese Daimyo to pass their swords down to the eldest son upon their death. The grandchild knew what it meant. Date Munenari then looked up at the sky, and died. The greatest man who Japan had ever seen, a man who went from being a simple Daimyo in Shikoku, to being the hammer of the Imperial army during the Boshin War, to being the longest reigning Prime Minister in its history. He was a legend, and deserved to be remembered as such. ((Riccardo has died in battle))

wcZHtKO.jpg

DIvPcMv.png

150,000 Japanese soldiers were killed, wounded, or captured at Khabarovsk, with only 77,000 alliance soldiers killed. 29,000 Japanese soldiers would limp out of the area, surrounded by Russian forces, and enemy troops. Toyokama Itakshir would lead a shattered army out of Russia. Khabarovsk would be the greatest military failure of the Imperial Japanese army in its entire history. The battle left Korea open to the Russian attack, and if that would be the case, Korea would have easily fallen to the Russians. Japan would also have to deal with the transfer of power from Date Munenari to Deputy Intermin Prime Minister Nishimura, and had to deal with the destruction of its army. However, it did not. Japan had to thank the massive casualties of the Russian army and European affairs to get in the way of a possible defeat. A Great War emerged over the region of Eastern Macedonia, a region on the tables for years in European affairs. Russia had to fight the largest European war ever seen up to this point. It couldn't afford a war on two fronts. Russia and the British concluded the "Ketsuo-Romanov-Wesley" treaty officially ending the Second Anglo-Japanese war in a white peace. Russia gave up its claims in Sakhalin. Japan would emerge a shattered nation, the worse condition it was in, worse then after the last war with the British. Japan may not have lost anything, but its spirit, resolve, trust in government, and idea of strength was lost. Some say this could have possibly led to the end of Japanese expansionism in Asia, and many believed that this humbled the Japanese people.

Regardless of what happened, the Emperor's deal was set into motion. With the declaration of peace the intermin government was dissolved, and new elections would proceed. With Date Munenari's death however, many wondered who would step up to take his spot in Japan's political spectrum. Who would replace the greatest hero Japan had ever seen?

jWlcA5H.jpg

(Funeral Procession of Date Munenari)

--------------------------
Player Actions Needed: We have entered the pre-election period for 1893. Get your party leadership set, where you want to run, and get platforms in. Election starts Tuesday at 9:00 PM EST, or Wednesday at 1:00 AM GMT.

Last edited: