• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[post=15332462]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 8

25tuh5j.jpg

Portugal needed help in navigating the Cape of Good Hope. So, a colony was started at Table...

nzyva.jpg

Almedia moved down the coast from Manhattan with his small army, taking boat rides as often as he could. The strangeness of these natives, unless you entirely wipe them out they rise back up to their original number.

530pqo.jpg

With the Infrastructure research growth, we were soon allowed to promote a bailiff to every province that's a town or city (for a price). It will increase taxes for each province that promotion is paid for (1% increase - but, stability suffers). Portugal needs money. And, there's only so much minting you can do before inflation stagnates your research and your nation dies.

2u7u92x.jpg

Right now, temporarily I’m minting a lot…to get things going. I’ll drop it shortly, to incur about .1 to .2 each year, so I can get some serious research going. But, first I want to discover the next level in Infrastructure...another promotion that will increase both taxes and stability.

34gu77s.jpg

Colonel Cameons and his army journeyed into Arizona and Chihuahua, Northern Mexico. Tomas went with him. “It’s pronounced Chi WAH wah,” Tomas explained.

Last edited:
Wow. I started playing paradox games with eu2, and i always wondered how eu1 was, but looking at the pics i don't see much difference between them. What new features had eu2?

I can't really say...I've never played EU2 (and, just started playing EU1). The only other games I've played are EU3. Maybe one day I'll play EU2.

All I can say about EU1 is that it's a lot of fun. Besides that EU1's time span is 1492 to 1792 (three-hundred years). The grand campaign has only eight countries to choose from...Spain, Turkey, England, France, Portugal, Poland, Austria, and one other. And, not everyone gets colonists/traders.

Thank you for checking in.

I'll try to post again later tonight.

Last edited:
[post=15338314]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

Entry 9

2mer4b9.jpg

2vwy43p.jpg

Almeida moved his forces south into Trivandrum to wait for traders to arrive. But, the traders were slaughtered by the natives. Almeida against orders then attacked and wiped out the 8000 native warriors in that land.

2yun9yf.jpg

Colonel Cameons journeyed down to Jalisco. “There be gold in them dar’hills”. It’ll two attempts before a settlement is started.

xeipea.jpg

We have visitors. We should have placed traders in both the Everglades and Seminole. Now, it is too late. “It’s never too late,” said Tomas when hearing of the Spanish intrusion. “Who says we can’t take them from the Spanish?”

“And, that’s coming from a man of peace.”

Is this the cause of what Tomas’ book foretold? Dispute between Spain and Portugal in the Americas will be caused by a right of passage, and the need to join Spanish land in the Americas.

2lm1jk7.jpg

Within a few months Jalisco became a full fledge town of over 700 people.

Last edited:
Lots of colonising, it would seem - which is always a good thing.

Would it be possible to get some sort of political map? From what I can make out, you're playing on what appears to be a rudimentary terrain-type map, and I'd like to get a definate idea of what the empire looks like, if possible.

I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Lots of colonising, it would seem - which is always a good thing.

Would it be possible to get some sort of political map? From what I can make out, you're playing on what appears to be a rudimentary terrain-type map, and I'd like to get a definate idea of what the empire looks like, if possible.

I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Lots and lots of colonization for a while...as for maps I'll see what I can do, my friend.

[post=15354512]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

Entry 10

2mer4b9.jpg

11uvomx.jpg

2igk3vb.jpg

2u8v0v6.jpg

When Range learned that Tomas had disappeared, he didn’t know what to think. “He couldn’t have gone home…if he had…where did he call home?”

vf9mx1.jpg

India was beginning to shape up quite nicely.

fvinvl.jpg

Saltillo was Portugal’s new colony. Range had reason to fear Spain, but for some reason he didn’t let that feeling hinder Portugal’s expansion.

England asked Portugal to become an ally. They were turned down.

2h6fu2p.jpg

Now, France was a different matter. Of course France hadn’t come knocking on the door.

Last edited:
That's certainy a nice colonial empire you've got going on. Can you make the most of Spain being at war and add Florida?

I'm looking forward to seeing where that last sentence leads us.

That's certainy a nice colonial empire you've got going on. Can you make the most of Spain being at war and add Florida?

I'm looking forward to seeing where that last sentence leads us.

It was written in Tomas' book:

The man who leads Portugal shall be slow to anger...In time a great hook shall grab hold of him to draw him into war.

[post=15368582]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 11

It’s the 6th of May, 1553.

Tomas is still missing. Range believes his good friend has met with foul play...and, he thinks the natives had something to do with his disappearance. He’s given the army orders to begin wiping out the native tribes up and down the seaboard of the Americas...that is once our war with the Iroquois is over.

Since the last entry a lot has taken place. To start...back in 45'...

w8oxuc.jpg

Back in 1545, due to Market fluctuations, Portugal got a blessing from right out of the blue when Cochin became a trading center. And, there was another market not too far away at Isfahan. As for Cochin...there are over 6000 people residing there...6,000 of which are natives.

azgju0.jpg

Of course some weren’t so happy with our being there. First Range thought of an alliance. But, they wanted no part of an alliance with Portugal...or, any other European country.

345df9j.jpg

Tomorrow, we march to war against the Iroquois.

whznn7.jpg

Victory didn't come cheaply as Range thought, or hoped…as it was touch and go for the first year, or so. Luckily, we could depend on a steady stream of reinforcements from Manhattan town...or, we would have lost the war. Right up to the end of the war, victory hung in the balance…the town of Catskill was under siege by a rather large native force...and, we had nothing to throw against them. Our men were weakened...and, the country was nearly broke.

Thankfully, on the 17th of November, 1554, the Iroquois ceded two provinces to us…Shenandoah and Tuscarora, and just like that the war was over.

Last edited:
Nice gains against the Iroquois. Expansion is always nice. Any idea what's going on with that blue circle in Mohawk?

I'm looking forward to seeing if Tomas turns up.

Nice gains against the Iroquois. Expansion is always nice. Any idea what's going on with that blue circle in Mohawk?

I'm looking forward to seeing if Tomas turns up.

The blue circle for the Iroquois is its capital. Every country has a circle for its capital.

As for Tomas, he's coming back soon. I like his character. I just need a certain event to happen.
Thanks again for commenting.

Nice empire so far. I always like colonizing south Africa, easy to get to without competition, and a good way station to India. Australia's another good place to colonize without much competition.

You're right...on all accounts. I've never colonized Australia.

Thank you for commenting.

[post=15391339]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 12

1554 – 1621

A lot took place during this time, but it was also a very quiet time…even though it was an exciting time as expansion was the name of the time.

It was also time to begin to combat Portugal’s inflation of 28%.

And, a time that expansion took a great hit, when Portugal lost Dynamic colonization, thus limiting its settlers to one a year.

It was also a time that Portugal came to the realization, that even with all the lands they had claimed, Portugal sadly trailed in overall growth and exploration to the Spanish. Castile knew 288 zones that Portugal had no idea existed. Thus, even though Portugal knew 88 zones that their counterpart did not know, Portugal’s attempt to trade maps with Castile failed.

22gny0.jpg

Things started to heat up with a second war against the Iroqouis.

6j1yjc.jpg

A second and final war against the Iroqouis.

j5w4nk.jpg

Inflation continued to drop…now, 20%.

2iotp1.jpg

The Eastern seaboard is pretty much in Portuguese’s hands

17u8gy.jpg

India too…

On a sadder note…Tomas never returned…although there are strange reports that someone answers by the same name, with the same description is said to be living in what he called Chi WAH wah.

Last edited:
You've certainly got a good empire now. Are you aiming to reach the American west coast before the Castilians take it all? Will you be colonising any of South America - Brazil, for example? It would certainly make a nice addition to the growing empire. And good to see there is some hope of Tomas returning. A rather intriguing note in which to leave the update.

Looking forward to the next one.

You've certainly got a good empire now. Are you aiming to reach the American west coast before the Castilians take it all? Will you be colonising any of South America - Brazil, for example? It would certainly make a nice addition to the growing empire. And good to see there is some hope of Tomas returning. A rather intriguing note in which to leave the update.

No...there's a big drop off in available colonists...so, no...but, like it says in Tomas' book...the land of the raising sun is going to go dark.

[post=15405175]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 13

28th of DECEMBER 1621

a1mweu.jpg

King Phillip (Felipe) III of Spain

5mzosl.jpg

An alliance had been formed.

The two nations joined hands in peace…Portugal and Spain...but, only one will greatly benefit from this troubled union.

258tddz.jpg

Prince Cesar de la Cueva…a lady’s man to highest degree…men are mindful of their ladies when he’s around. He’s also a warrior…who knows no fear.

De la Cueva was called before the king to give a report of what he knows of Range of Portugal. “With the understanding of what this Range is capable of, it is in my strongest opinion that an alliance with Portugal will only benefit Portugal. Right now, Portugal is still a poor country, and they need protection which we can provide. This Range is not someone to take lightly...by allowing him time to build his nation...our very existence is threatened.”

“And, of Portugal militarily?” The king asked.

“Although it is true that they have a small army…that is spread out, they have the capability in the not too far future to become one of the strongest military force in the world.”

There were murmurs from the others in the room.

The king as if to quiet the room went on to say, “Let us see how helpful they will be in our war against France.”

4hs7c9.jpg

“Older brother maybe your army needs a little seasoning,” laughed Cesar (at Range's expense).

“Don’t worry about it,” replied Range. “We’ll get it back. And, who are calling older?”

Portugal would soon regain Senegal.

262465w.jpg

Portugal took Gerona and Languedoc, with Bern about to fall to the sword as well.

10hj021.jpg

And, just as Range was leading a force toward the French capital, the war was over. Spain had won the war…taking the sum of 250 ducats from the French. France wouldn’t even entertain the thought of giving Portugal anything. Thus, Portugal went home empty handed for all their trouble.

Shortly after the war, Cesar returned to speak to the king of Spain. “They are good fighters," he told the king, soon adding, "they are fearless...even til death...why, when they are about to die there is not as much as a whimper from them.”

“Maybe it is time to show which is the greater country,” said the king.

Last edited:
Ominous. Very ominous indeed. I'm imagining now is the time for Spain to stab their newfound ally in the back. A colonial war, perhaps?

A Portuguese Australia would be interesting - can your navy reach that far in terms of supply? Perhaps Range made it that far after all...

Ominous. Very ominous indeed. I'm imagining now is the time for Spain to stab their newfound ally in the back. A colonial war, perhaps?

A Portuguese Australia would be interesting - can your navy reach that far in terms of supply? Perhaps Range made it that far after all...

Right now...I'm wondering how far Range can go toward America's west coast. Thanks for the idea. Do I feel a prophecy coming on? Also, thanks for the Australia idea...and, the attachment. M-m-m-m. As for Portugal's navy it's poor at best...most research is going into land.

I'm a little ahead so I'll able to post again tonight.

Last edited: