HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Most Hearts of Iron expansions that are not cosmetic fixes come with AI and balance fixes.
They do, but nowhere near enough to offset the myriad of new problems introduced.

03.09.19 A gun behind every blade of grass
Link

upload_2019-9-3_17-21-11.png

Because its Tunisia I guess its related to non core occupation, fire bar maybe is progress towards revolt and the 42 is battalions needed to stop resistance

Its time for the fellaga to show up
220px-Lazhar_Chraiti.jpg
th

And that's great because they have style
Tunisian_fellaga_with_gun.jpg

Partisan and insurrection are coming
Maybe partisan leader like Tito or Hoxha
220px-Hoxha_at_Odrican_1944.jpg

A great DLC in sight.

It would be great if we got some new infantry models to represent the broad range of nationalities that partisan units have if they rise up depending on where in the world their from, especially given that France (and Italy if their getting reworked as well) already have unique models for their infantry, tanks and planes.

This, people often forget that the Berlin-Moscow Axis is already a thing in game.
It is quite OP indeed, but that didn't stop them from putting it in from day one, so it does feel like a cop out to play that card.
And plausibility was never an issue for PDX, I don't think anything can top communist Japan as far as outlandishness goes.

I originally thought so as well. After reading The Rising Sun, by John Toland, you realize that the social unrest in Japan was so crazy leading up to 1936, that if the Emperor made a few different choices, it could have happened.

Resistance/occupation and peace conference are, imo, by far the most lacking mechanics in the game right now, so I'm happy to see this.

I'd argue the lack of a real supply system is the gravest offender in that category. Units living off the land for free, EU4 style, overlooks so many decisive aspects of WW2 that it's a joke to have it work that way in a "WW2 grand strategy game". Weather being basically meaningless and attrition only affecting equipment is also huge. But no resistance post-annexation is definitely up there in the top five to ten problems with this game, IMO.

Let's hope countries like Yugoslavia get to use such a system too!
This. I hoped that they would introduce something about the Yugoslav Partisans when they released Death or Dishonor.

Anyway, this might mean that there could be a Polish tree rework, as the Polish Home Army was also a strong resistance movement in Europe. But I think a Spanish tree is more likely.

Hopefully Vietnam and Algeria will get some post-war insurgency to compensate for the lack of a French peaceful decolonization tree
As a Vietnamese, this would be very nice to play with. But the First Indochina War would be a little hard to simulate with current game mechanics. The new resistance system might improve this, however. Still, I think that this is unlikely to be included in the next expansion, probably a future one which focuses on the post-WWII era.

Last edited:
I'd argue the lack of a real supply system is the gravest offender in that category. Units living off the land for free, EU4 style, overlooks so many decisive aspects of WW2 that it's a joke to have it work that way in a "WW2 grand strategy game". Weather being basically meaningless and attrition only affecting equipment is also huge. But no resistance post-annexation is definitely up there in the top five to ten problems with this game, IMO.

Thing with weather, I agree it should have more of an effect buuuuuuut given how the game can be hard to track certain aspects, it seems like it might punish players who aren't microing everything at 1-2 speed.

Ideally, I'd love some 'Operations Setting' feature where you give stances/configurations that go like: "Do not attack when: EXTREME WEATHER", "Only automatically attack/execute battleplan when enemy strength/org is less than 40%" "Continue Offensive for: 25 Days", "Only launch operations at: Night" (i.e. for Japan)

Thing with weather, I agree it should have more of an effect buuuuuuut given how the game can be hard to track certain aspects, it seems like it might punish players who aren't microing everything at 1-2 speed.

Ideally, I'd love some 'Operations Setting' feature where you give stances/configurations that go like: "Do not attack when: EXTREME WEATHER", "Only automatically attack/execute battleplan when enemy strength/org is less than 40%" "Continue Offensive for: 25 Days", "Only launch operations at: Night" (i.e. for Japan)

Seasonal weather is relatively constant, particularly back then, before global warming really started messing with things like proper winters, and should have a far greater impact. As it stands, in vanilla you might as well keep pushing through the mud and snow since the negative effects are negligible, even to armies without proper preparation to such elements (another thing largely omitted from the game beyond acclimatisation).

I originally thought so as well. After reading The Rising Sun, by John Toland, you realize that the social unrest in Japan was so crazy leading up to 1936, that if the Emperor made a few different choices, it could have happened.
Haven't read that, so I can't comment on it, but 1936 should be far too late for anything of the sort to happen.

I agree, especially regarding the supply system, it would definitely be the third item on my top 3 problems with HoI4.
The reason why I put the other two above it (and would go even as far as to say "by far") is that, while pretty bad, the supply mechanic is at least functional.
On the other hand, occupation is a footnote at best, and completely irrelevant at worst, while peace conferences are just a mess all around.
The weather and attrition issues, while important, are quite minor adjustments, so I can't say it's exactly game breaking for me.

Haven't read that, so I can't comment on it, but 1936 should be far too late for anything of the sort to happen.
I must respectfully disagree. In 1936, Japan was still dealing with the effects of the great depression. Add radical elements from all sides, including influence from their Soviet neighbors, and you get mayhem.

In 1936 they had the February 26th incident and the May 15th incident. In the 2/26 incident members of the armed forces attempted to kill the prime minister of Japan, but failed, leading to his resignation, with the perpetrators put to death. In the 5/15 Incident they succeeded in killing the new prime minister, causing the military to effectively gain control of the civilian government, with the perpetrators basically receiving a slap on the wrist for their actions.

Given the external factors and the radicalization of military elements, the government could have gone any direction but Democratic.

Seasonal weather is relatively constant, particularly back then, before global warming really started messing with things like proper winters, and should have a far greater impact. As it stands, in vanilla you might as well keep pushing through the mud and snow since the negative effects are negligible, even to armies without proper preparation to such elements (another thing largely omitted from the game beyond acclimatisation).

Units in HoI4 don't live of the land for free. The only supplysource that don't require a connection to capital is VPs and they are normally at most 10-15% of the total supply unless it's a major city ( where it's plausible large military stockpiles would also exist IRL ). And even if the supply is covered cut of unit's still will get severe penalties like -80% reduction to movement speed and combat penalty if forced into a single province without retreat path.