• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
AltEngland - Wessex mod v1.0

Pied-Noir

Future Battle Bishop
On Probation
54 Badges
Sep 6, 2011
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Prison Architect
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
42EB9092CC4F485E81DA0920C88AB2437AB2051D

Not too long ago I started this thread, asking if people would be interested in an alt. history scenario for England in which Edgar was king, and another in which William was king (in lieu of a post-Hastings scenario).

The first of these scenarios is now available to play, should you so wish. The main objective of this mod is to make playing as England in 1066 a bit less of a hassle, as although your enemies still have claims on your throne they do not start at war with you and do not have event troops spawned.

The premise is fairly simple: when Edward the Confessor died, the Witan (narrowly) elected Edgar - the last of the West Saxon royal line - over Harold Godwinson, who nonetheless has a strong claim on the throne and will likely cause trouble. You can of course still play as any of the other pretenders as well.

I don't intend to do a great deal of additional work on this mod as it was always designed as a fairly self-contained idea, but if it needs updating for upcoming patches then of course I will.

Sometime later this week I'll upload a companion mod based around William becoming king and having some Norman vassals in the south of England.

The full changelog for v1.0 is below - enjoy!

Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216980134
Paradox Mods: https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/11442/Any

Code:
AltEngland mod - Wessex

v1.0

- replaced Harold Godwinson with Eadgar the Aetheling in the Fate of England bookmark
- made Eadgar succeed Edward the Confessor as king of England
- changed a few vassals in southern England so that Eadgar now begins with a royal demesne
- fixed the de Conteville coat of arms
- changed the Robertine coat of arms to the ship of Paris
- changed the La Marche coat of arms
- removed the Norman and Norwegian invasions
- removed the English, Norman and Norwegian raised levies
- added the missing eldest son of Robert the Old and corrected the mother of a couple of his kids
- removed the pre-848 title history of Scotland
- fixed Anund Jacob of Sweden not having his titles
- fixed Carloman I being missing from France's title history
- renamed Alencon to Mortain
- renamed Bouillon to Chiny and changed its coat of arms
- added Odo de Conteville as count of Bayeux
- added Richard d'Avranches as count of Avranches
- moved Robert de Conteville from Avranches to Mortain
- corrected Richard de Vassy to Norman culture

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I've updated this with a Paradox Mods version as well, so hopefully that works for people. I've never used this before (only Steam Workshop) so please let me know if there's an issue.

I've updated this for the 1.03 patch (no gameplay changes).

Touch wood, I'll try and have a Norman version out later tonight.

Always loved the Ætheling. Definitely will have to give this mod a try :)

Always loved the Ætheling. Definitely will have to give this mod a try :)
Thanks, I'm glad a few people are trying it. I don't expect it to replace the historical start but I do think it's an interesting alternative.

Sadly the Norman version will have to wait a day or two as it now looks like I'll have to wait for some interface graphics to be made.

Here's a sneak-peak at the Norman version (WIP):

680069FEFD7022136E19B7AA96A82206334BDDB5

8E8D888AC05AB4134876F804DCD144B44B97A330

• 1Love
Reactions:
Ooh, all the more reason to download this mod! I was surprised Paradox didn't include a "William the Conqueror" scenario. The many possible divergences that one can have from the conflict for England is nice, but having a stable England is sometimes ideal too. Let me know if you want any help with placing the Normans with their new English titles. Been a bit, but I did some research on it a while ago :)

Ooh, all the more reason to download this mod! I was surprised Paradox didn't include a "William the Conqueror" scenario. The many possible divergences that one can have from the conflict for England is nice, but having a stable England is sometimes ideal too. Let me know if you want any help with placing the Normans with their new English titles. Been a bit, but I did some research on it a while ago :)
Hey, thanks.

This isn't going to be an exact copy of the December 1066 bookmark from CK II as it's rooted in alt. history, but it does give you a peaceful start with William as king as well as duke of Normandy. Don't expect the historical setup from CK II because that wasn't my aim. Remember that in these scenarios Edward was succeeded by Edgar, or in this case William, and so there hasn't been an invasion or battle of Hastings.

I'm nearly finished with the Norman scenario and will upload it shortly - hopefully you find it fun to play, and it is rooted in a plausible 'what if?' version of events, but please don't expect a copy of the old William the Conqueror bookmark. (Although, I could also do that one...)

In this scenario, various of William's Norman vassals are still playable in England, but with a twist.

AltEngland - Norman mod v1.0
B0510C1305724E85B0AA4CB548A8E920496080DA

And without further ado, here is the second version of my AltEngland series: Norman!

The full changelog for v1.0 is below - enjoy!

Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2220504687
Paradox Mods: https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/11761/Any

Code:
AltEngland mod - Norman

many thanks to my friend Veag for making the map GFX - you're a star <3

v1.0

- England now starts with the later (Norman/English) coat of arms; corrected the Saxon version to use a wyvern
- replaced Harold Godwinson with Konan of Brittany in the Fate of England bookmark
- made William succeed Edward the Confessor as king of England
- changed the starting situation in England; various Norman vassals now exist amongst the larger Saxon earldoms
- Leofwine and Gyrth Godwinson have been murdered by Tostig, who remains duke of Northumbria
- Odo of Bayeux has married Edith Godwinson, King Edward's widow
- Malcolm III has married Margaret of Wessex, and Eadgar is now his marshal
- Ælfwine Haroldson has married Gytha Godwinson, Raoul the Timid's widow
- moved a few interesting unlanded claimants to Konan's court
- moved various interdimensional unlanded Normans to William's court
- Morcar is now unlanded (he never received Northumbria) and marshal for his brother Eadwine
- Konan is now William's nemesis (killed his father, later killed him)
- Eudon is now Konan's rival (tried to overthrow/kill him; was eventually imprisoned in an iron cage)
- Eadgar is now Harold's nemesis (blood feud) and Malcolm's friend (married his sister, backed his family's claim)
- Tostig is now Harold's rival (killed two of their brothers) and William's friend (supported William over Harold)
- fixed the de Conteville coat of arms
- changed the Robertine coat of arms to the ship of Paris
- changed the La Marche coat of arms
- removed the Norman and Norwegian invasions
- removed the English, Norman and Norwegian raised levies
- added the missing eldest son of Robert the Old and corrected the mother of a couple of his kids
- added the missing brother of Eadwine and Morcar
- added the missing nephew of Svend Estridsen and made him duke of East Anglia (his father had been an Earl)
- added the missing son-in-law of Harald Hårdråde and made him Harald's marshal (Tostig is no longer in Norway)
- added nicknames for Hereward the Wake and Eadgar the Ætheling
- added scripted traits for Konan and Eudon (Brittany)
- added scripted traits for Odo and Robert (Normandy)
- added scripted traits for Robert the Old (Burgundy)
- added the 'callous' trait to William the Bastard and the 'legitimized_bastard' trait to his sister Adelaide
- removed the pre-848 title history of Scotland
- fixed Anund Jacob of Sweden not having his titles
- fixed Carloman I being missing from France's title history
- fixed an unconnected member of the de Rennes dynasty
- fixed Konan's uncle Eudon (Odo) having the wrong name
- renamed Alencon to Mortain
- renamed Bouillon to Chiny and changed its coat of arms
- added Odo de Conteville as count of Bayeux and duke of Kent
- added Richard d'Avranches as count of Avranches
- moved Robert de Conteville from Avranches to Mortain and made him duke of Cornwall
- corrected Richard de Vassy to Norman culture
- fixed Rethel being ruled by the wrong dynasty

• 3Like
Reactions:
Ahh! I suppose I misunderstood and maybe misread - so the William scenario is that he's acknowledged as Edward's successor. Interesting! I'm curious what happens with Harold Godwinson in this scenario? I read in the changelog that Tostig kills Gyrth and Leofwine, but where does Harold go? Also...
- Odo of Bayeux has married Edith Godwinson, King Edward's widow
CK has had this in a rather awkward state, but Odo was ordained as the bishop of Bayeux and earl of Kent. Not sure he could get away with marrying Edith. I suppose clerical celibacy was only strictly enforced (despite being discouraged for centuries) starting around the eleventh century, but still. Iffy.

Last edited:
@Andrzej I

Yes, the theme of both scenarios is that Edward is succeeded peacefully (if begrudgingly) and so there are no invasions, and no Hastings. The whole point of doing these was so that England starts at peace and is a bit more fun to play in.

Harold is earl of Essex in both scenarios, and retains his claim on England. You can still try to become king as him but it should be pretty difficult.

And yes I know Odo was a bishop, but I don't think it's much fun having him not playable, and he was also earl of Kent (one man, two hats).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Harold is earl of Essex in both scenarios, and retains his claim on England. You can still try to become king as him but it should be pretty difficult.
Just to clarify: Essex or Wessex? :)
And yes I know Odo was a bishop, but I don't think it's much fun having him not playable, and he was also earl of Kent (one man, two hats).
Valid! And supposedly Odo may have had some worldly ambitions, so I can see him trying to weasel his way out of his vows if it meant more power.

Just to clarify: Essex or Wessex? :)
Essex - he's based around Bedford.

Remember that earldoms were rotated between family members and weren't especially static in terms of their borders.

The last earl of Wessex was William de Crepon - he doesn't gain the earldom (duchy in game) but is ruler of Hampshire as a vassal of William.

Give it a try!

AltEngland - Wessex/Norman mod v1.1
I have updated both mods for v1.1.2 of CK III on Steam and on Paradox Mods.

Wessex:

Code:
v1.1

Note: some of these are standardization changes brought over from the Norman version of the mod.

- updated for patch 1.1.2
- removed Chiny changes (outside the scope of this mod)
- corrected the Saxon England coat of arms to use a wyvern instead of a dragon
- fixed an unconnected member of the de Rennes dynasty
- fixed Konan of Brittany's uncle Eudon (Odo) having the wrong name
- added scripted traits for Konan and Eudon (Brittany)
- added scripted traits for Odo and Robert (Normandy)
- added scripted traits for Robert the Old (Burgundy)
- added scripted traits for Guttorm Hjort (Guthrum of East Anglia) and made him a courtier of Halfdan Whiteshirt
- added the 'callous' trait to William the Bastard and the 'legitimized_bastard' trait to his sister Adelaide
- added Hereward the Wake's nickname
- added the missing brother of Eadwine and Morcar
- added the missing nephew of Svend Estridsen
- added the missing son-in-law of Harald Hårdråde
- added the missing brother of Alfred the Great
- fixed the Franconian culture name set (replaced with the generic German set as a temporary fix)
- fixed the counts of Clermont having no dynasty assigned and added the missing heir in 1066
- added the counts of Beaumont
- split the Eu dynasty from the senior Norman line and corrected the title history of Eu
- added coats of arms for the Eu, Clermont and Beaumont dynasties

Norman:

Code:
v1.1

- updated for patch 1.1.2
- removed Chiny changes (outside the scope of this mod)
- added scripted traits for Guttorm Hjort (Guthrum of East Anglia) and made him a courtier of Halfdan Whiteshirt
- added the missing brother of Alfred the Great
- fixed the Franconian culture name set (replaced with the generic German set as a temporary fix)
- fixed the counts of Clermont having no dynasty assigned and added the missing heir in 1066
- added the counts of Beaumont
- split the Eu dynasty from the senior Norman line and corrected the title history of Eu
- added coats of arms for the Eu, Clermont and Beaumont dynasties

AltEngland - Wessex/Norman mod v1.2
I have updated both mods for v1.2.1 of CK III on Steam.

Same changelog for both:

Code:
v1.2

- compatibility update for the v1.2.1 patch
- corrected the name of a new Danish character
- corrected Saga the Truthspeaker being lowborn