• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Preface: The Lost Saga

Chac1

Colonel
16 Badges
Oct 22, 2022
thetarnck2.blog
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
The Lost Saga

BabySkjold.png

(“Skjöld is made King of Denmark,” a lithograph by Danish artist Lorens Frølich; this image is in the public domain.)

Preface
These tales began in the primordial mists. Long before bark paper, or vellum, or some variant of papyrus reached the Northern lands, these tales were told by the skalds. They were repeated back and forth from skald to royal court and handed down verbally to skaldic apprentices for centuries. Some parts of these tales may even be older, stretching back millennia. And now they are presented to you, in the tradition of the Norse skalds, and in the form of a true Konungasögur, or a Saga of Kings.

This is our version of the Lost Skjöldunga Saga, magically restored for your pleasure. Through some unknown casting of a seiðr spell, those once destroyed pieces have been restored and joined to what extant portions remained in some written form to give new insights and perspectives into these ancient tales of House Skjöldung. For as some know, the true Skjöldunga Saga was lost to many calamities over the years after the 14th Century and only bits remained, until now. Your musings and remarks are welcome as this Saga, told in the traditional form of both prose and poetry will unfurl only occasionally so it can be savored. Thank you for reading.

Some who are readers of Lost Seasons of the Danes know that AAR began as an attempt to write a new Skjöldunga Saga. However, your humble author did not know enough about either AARs or Sagas when that project began. So that AAR has evolved into its current structure which is much less a Saga and more of a narrative, based upon key fictional characters in and around House Skjöldung in the 8th Century and delivered in a style that borrows from graphic novels.

This AAR aims to go in a very different direction. Instead of stylizing this AAR so it finds a popular audience, what if instead it attempted to echo the Sagas of Snorri Sturluson and other early Norse writers who committed these tales to paper? What if it attempted to tell these tales in their original form albeit in English?

To accomplish that challenge, many of the early chapters will adapt actual sections of Sagas to establish the proper context for what will come later. All of the work that actually exists will be credited and footnoted. The challenge here is to blend, edit, and change this content so the missing parts can be filled in by the AAR, and so this material is still enjoyable for the reader who might wish to pick up a Saga. If history has provided the canvas, the tattered parts of what is left of the Skjöldunga Saga put outlines on that canvas. Then, the picture is filled in using this AAR. Like Snorri’s work, this AAR will blend history, drama, magic, and myth together to provide a different perspective on the past.

And now the technical parts….

Like Lost Seasons of the Danes, this AAR is based upon a play-through of Crusader Kings II that began on May 1, 2023. This uses the 3.3.5.1 version of the game, the final version, with all major DLC activated except Sunset Invasion. So you might say this experiment is a spin-off of that work, but only because it has some of the same characters and uses the same historic template.

There is hope you will enjoy this experiment of blending Sagas, new prose and poetry into an AAR. Thank you for reading.

Contents
Part I: Odin Sends Gefjon Forth to Create Sjælland
Part II: Odin Divides the Lands
Part IV: Froði or Frodo, The Third King

Soundtrack

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 5.42.50 PM.png

"Yggdrasil Trembles" by NEMUER
"Gefjon" by Norse Gael
"Óðinn" by Danheim & Gealdýr
"Grótti" by SKÁLD

Full Soundtrack now available as a Playlist.

The image of the musician above is from Playground and an account where @Chac1 holds the copyright.
The image below of is a colorized version of a woodcut engraving by Wilhelm Engelhard showing a skald entertaining Northmen, published as a book illustration in 1881. This image is in the public domain. The final image is the back of a gold pendant from the 5th Century honoring Odin, the oldest reference showing Odin on any Norse artifact. The pendant is part of the Vindelev Hoard discovered in Denmark.

Skald1.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 10.37.42 PM.png

The Lost Saga
ᛏᚺᛖ ᛚᛟᛋᛏ ᛋᚨᚷᚨ

Last edited:
  • 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Part I: Odin Sends Gefjon Forth to Create Sjælland

Part I: Odin Sends Gefjon Forth to Create Sjælland​

GefjonStatue.png
(This is a photograph of the Gefjon Fountain in Copenhagen. Through Wikimedia Commons, the photographer has released the copyright of this photo into the public domain. The fountain was created by Anders Bundgaard in 1908.)

The full soundtrack for The Lost Saga can be heard here.

Odin having foreknowledge, and magic-sight, knew that his posterity would come to settle and dwell in the northern half of the world. He therefore set his brothers Ve and Vilje over Asgard; and he himself, with many other gods, wandered out, first westward to Garðaríki (Russia), and then south to Saxony. He had many sons; and after having subdued an extensive kingdom in Saxony, he set his sons to rule that country. He himself went northwards to the sea, and took up his abode in an island which is called Odin’s in Fyn. Then he sent Gefjon across the sound to the north to discover new countries; and she came to King Gylfi, who gave her a ploughgate of land. Then she went to Jötunheim, and bore four sons to a giant, and transformed them into a yoke of oxen. She yoked them to a plow, and broke out the land into the ocean right opposite to Odin’s. This land was called Sjælland, and there she afterwards settled and dwelt. Skjöld, a son of Odin, married her, and they dwelt at Lejre. Where the plowed land is now a lake called Lake Vänern. In the Swedish land, the fjords of Vänern correspond to the nesses in Sjælland.

Bragi the Old sings thus of it:

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 6.16.11 PM.png

SwedishLakeAncientMap.png
SjaellandAncientMap.png

(These 17th Century maps show Lake Vänern on the left and Sjælland on the right. The maps are in the public domain.)

This material is almost all from the Ynglinga Saga by Snorri Sturluson, with some minor edits so it will integrate later into the wider story. In this regard, the author of this AAR, at this stage is merely a curator and editor of this material. Original material will be added later. However, please do not expect this AAR to be updated quickly or regularly. Any image credits not found here can be found on the Preface/Content page.

Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 10.37.42 PM.png

The Lost Saga
ᛏᚺᛖ ᛚᛟᛋᛏ ᛋᚨᚷᚨ

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Subbed :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks so much @Nikolai ! You are very quick! You were here within 15 minutes of the title/contents page going up. However, I think I have added quite a bit since then and my placeholder for the first post is now replaced with content. It's short at the moment but the plan is for slow growth over time. (And so far, technically, this is not in the Crusader Kings II era. Yet. That will come in Part II.

Reactions:
Great to see you taking the plunge. I'll grab a seat, nurse a scotch, and enjoy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice, this should be great fun!

Reactions:
Thanks so much @Nikolai ! You are very quick! You were here within 15 minutes of the title/contents page going up. However, I think I have added quite a bit since then and my placeholder for the first post is now replaced with content. It's short at the moment but the plan is for slow growth over time. (And so far, technically, this is not in the Crusader Kings II era. Yet. That will come in Part II.
I see. Thanks for telling me! :D Reading it now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh, good luck with this my friend - it sounds quite the challenge you've set yourself. I will get to the first chapter maybe in a day or two, as I have a bit of sport to play (two cricket matches) for the next couple of days.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is excellent! I've always had a soft spot for sagas, even if I still need to finish Heimskringla. I even once considered during a Jorvik megacampaign with sources that reflected the time period (so sagas for CK2)...

I can see the references to Snorri's... secularization of Norse mythology.

I look forward to seeing how you combine prose and poetry to make this work!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for all the readers and interest this has already gathered. Quite an assemblage of AARland legends and award-winners, so I am both honored and challenged to live up to the standards of the folks who are here. Thank you all for investing yourselves early.

Great to see you taking the plunge. I'll grab a seat, nurse a scotch, and enjoy.
Great to have one of the Founders here. Thank you. Your encouragement helped push this forward but a few caveats: 1) this will only be an occasional AAR but I am having some thoughts about how it can resonate with Lost Seasons of the Danes; and 2) these are designed as short entries, just like the Saga writers made their various parts of some Sagas, so you may only get a sip or two of that scotch before you are through with each entry.
Nice, this should be great fun!
Great! So good to have the Keeper of the Converters here.
I see. Thanks for telling me! :D Reading it now.
Thanks again, @Nikolai . I had to do it that way, so early readers weren't penalized but the Preface and Part I were connected. You proved there are still a lot of folks who will speedily respond to new postings.
Oh, good luck with this my friend - it sounds quite the challenge you've set yourself. I will get to the first chapter maybe in a day or two, as I have a bit of sport to play (two cricket matches) for the next couple of days.
Hey, @Bullfilter please do go out and enjoy what is left of your summer! This will wait and there is a lot to build here. But as stated these are very short chapters when compared to my other work. However, I do think what we will see will be complex and heavy in its own right if we are to make the end result credible.
I’m onboard! Great stuff so far. I’m excited to see where your saga takes us.
Great to see you here @The Kingmaker ! For those who know the actual history or have read Lost Seasons of the Danes, there may be few plot surprises, however, the way we get there will be quite different.

This is excellent! I've always had a soft spot for sagas, even if I still need to finish Heimskringla. I even once considered during a Jorvik megacampaign with sources that reflected the time period (so sagas for CK2)...
Thanks @HistoryDude for all of your encouragement ever since my arrival in the Forum. I was hoping something that had some poetry might attract you. The Heimskringla is very inspirational although dense and thick at times. I'm still working my way through it too. The reading of that work inspired this idea too.
I can see the references to Snorri's... secularization of Norse mythology.

I look forward to seeing how you combine prose and poetry to make this work!

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 4.37.03 PM.png

For the moment, Snorri Sturluson is the real star of this AAR. My role at this point is editor/curator/presenter. That's all Snorri in Part I, with some minor edits to make everything line up with later parts and the history we will be covering here. Writing for his times, Snorri certainly wrote a secularized Norse mythology. As we move away from Snorri's source work, you may see this dive a bit more deeply into mythology and the Germanic religion.

Adapting a Saga writing style and writing the poetry is difficult! You'll have to judge the results in later chapters.

Thanks to all for commenting and reading!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great to have one of the Founders here. Thank you. Your encouragement helped push this forward but a few caveats: 1) this will only be an occasional AAR but I am having some thoughts about how it can resonate with Lost Seasons of the Danes; and 2) these are designed as short entries, just like the Saga writers made their various parts of some Sagas, so you may only get a sip or two of that scotch before you are through with each entry.

I'm prepared to have a sip or two. Chugging a good scotch would be barbaric.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I can sip stuff like that slowly for ages. It's a slow thing.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I can sip stuff like that slowly for ages. It's a slow thing.
Let's hope then that this experiment is like a good scotch: something that you sip slowly. So far only a sip or two here but more coming if you are patient.
Indeed. One wonders what some of those Norse raiders would have done if casks of good scotch fell into their hands. That last comment, @Lord Durham leads me to believe they'd have to learn to sip such luxurious drinks.

(But as we know, the Norse weren't always as barbaric as some of the early historians would like us to believe.)

Reactions:
Looks like a very interesting challenge. Hope it goes well!

• 1Love
Reactions:
Looks like a very interesting challenge. Hope it goes well!
Thanks for checking in on this @jak7139 . Good to have your reading support. Something very different I hope, but I know it will not be everyone's kettle of fish. More coming for those who are patient.

Reactions:

Skald1.png
(This is a colorized version of a woodcut engraving by Wilhelm Engelhard showing a skald entertaining Northmen, published as a book illustration in 1881. This image is in the public domain.)
Author’s Note: Some news to relate that raises an issue. New posts will be coming to this experimental AAR in the next month. The good news is that after the help of a family member, we found a friendly librarian who was able to secure a copy of Arngrímur Jónsson’s Rerum Danicarum Fragmenta. And now I have a copy. Jónsson’s work is an outline and a retelling of part of the Skjöldunga Saga. Having already secured Sögubrot af nokkrum fornkonungum, which contains the other parts of the Skjöldunga Saga, I now have all the parts that exist. (Part of this work will also include fragments of the Skjöldung story found in other Sagas.) Before undertaking this work, I had found and studied the Sögubrot pieces which inspired me to begin working on this idea of merging the tattered existing pieces with new parts connected to an AAR. But finding a free copy of Jónsson’s work was difficult as it is not available online except behind paywalls; at least that is my experience trying to find it off and on for many months.

However, finding Jónsson’s writing raises the issue that his work has 15 additional parts, all that fall before the game-play timeline I had originally sketched out for this AAR, that begins in 769, C.E. At the moment, I have decided to add just two of Jónsson’s parts to this reworked version of the Saga, although I may decide to add others later if they prove to be compelling. So this still will not be a version of the Saga that contains all the existing parts. (In addition, the plan is to add new fiction to these existing parts or sometimes to mix new and old.) If many folks feel I should include all of Jónsson’s writing, I will backtrack on this decision. Sharing this information now so those who object can steer me to the course they prefer. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Reactions:
Sharing this information now so those who object can steer me to the course they prefer. Thanks for your understanding and patience.
I trust entirely to your authorial judgement on this and whatever you think works best for the story and your ability to relate it. But in a general sense, adding new elements can be fun and entertaining, so long as it does not turn into “mission creep“ that makes things unworkable for you. In Chac we trust! ;)

• 1Love
Reactions:
I think it comes down to what works best and what feels most comfortable. No sense trying to shoehorn something that may or may not produce a satisfying result. Frankly, I'm just impressed you managed to gather the material you did. Either way, it's a bit of a daunting task, eh? No pressure :).

• 1Love
Reactions:
@Chac1 I am a casual follower of the time period, so I do not have a dog in that fight. I agree -- go with what is workable and fun for you!

Rensslaer

• 1Love
Reactions: