• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
It really is incorrect to make a contest out of what is arguably the most important aspect of our forum. Newbies!! Without new folks coming along every day and deciding to write or just to read, this forum would not exist. I was one once and so were all of you. To be embraced is what we always strive for and hope to achieve. And our first place finish here is a fine example of what we love to see! Your 2023 Newcomer of the Year is...

An amazing debut and we hope to see so much more. Congrats @Chac1! Of course 2nd place is just as celebrated...

A strong start with an exceptional AAR. Third place then goes to...

Just a whisper separated these two places and we are lucky to have them all. As well as these fine nominees:

It is always important to make sure that new blood enters our ranks. You've seen several of these names in the previous nominated works. AARland only thrives when we have excited writAARs and readAARs. Thank you all so much. And thank you to the voters that gave them a nod!

The floor is now open for your own thanks, congrats and general discussion. Look for WritAAR of the Year tomorrow.

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulations to all three winners, especially @Chac1! I've read Lost Seasons of the Danes in its entirety thus far and can happily recommend it to anyone who is a fan of graphic novels, murder mysteries, political intrigue, or the Viking Age in general. Very well deserved!

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulatuons to all winnAARs, especially top dog @Chac1 !

Special shoutout to @WPCSolver for being nominated despite not being a writAAR!

• 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
For someone who has only been contributing to the Forum since May, I must say I very much appreciate how the community has supported and greeted my input. Thanks to all for this awAARd. Thanks to everyone who voted and congratulations to all of the others on the nomination list. I will need to check out the AARs of the other winners on the podium too, @ageofadelina & @Basileus2 . (But there's only so much time in the day!)

A hearty thanks to @coz1 for his work on these awards. He is truly an impresario who keeps AARland running. Thanks too, @Nikolai , another essential leader in AARland whose work with the ACAs is important and notable.

Special shoutout to @WPCSolver for being nominated despite not being a writAAR!
I was actually one of the folks who voted for @WPCSolver . As some folks mentioned to me, this category is open to all, and is not necessarily awarded for having an AAR. The comments of @WPCSolver are always pithy and interesting.

I truly appreciate everyone who extended a vote my way. But as I have done before I should mention the trio of folks who encouraged me when I started to contribute here: @Bullfilter , @Midnite Duke and @HistoryDude .

Congratulations to all three winners, especially @Chac1! I've read Lost Seasons of the Danes in its entirety thus far and can happily recommend it to anyone who is a fan of graphic novels, murder mysteries, political intrigue, or the Viking Age in general. Very well deserved!
Thanks very much to @The Kingmaker for endorsing my work and congratulations to you on your success this week here in the YAYAs, with two top wins already. In recent months, @The Kingmaker , @Koweth and @Macavity116 have all provided additional guidance and inspiration to me. I hope my work continues to improve with their advice and the advice and camaraderie of others in the community too.

What a wonderful week in AARland for me and for other winners. Blessed, really, to have this and also Best Character Writer of the Week, all within a few days. So it might be fitting for some of the characters from Lost Seasons of the Danes to have the last word.

Alfr-Drink.png ThoroflrBlessing.png
(Jarl Alfr suggests we all toast this victory, while King Þorolfr gives his standard closing. Mead for all, of course!)​

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I was actually one of the folks who voted for @WPCSolver . As some folks mentioned to me, this category is open to all, and is not necessarily awarded for having an AAR. The comments of @WPCSolver are always pithy and interesting.
I just thought it funny, as I always have thought of it as a writAAR award. :) Solver is a dear friend and target of friendly banter too. :D

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I just thought it funny, as I always have thought of it as a writAAR award. :) Solver is a dear friend and target of friendly banter too. :D
Ditto. You’re both dear friends, supportive readers, and witty commenters. So is @Emissary of the Prophets, to give an honorable mention to another brilliant newcomer and good friend. Thrilled to interact with you all here in AARland!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Congratulations @Chac1! And many welcomes to everyone new!

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulations @Chac1! And many welcomes to everyone new!
Thank you, @Idhrendur ! Appreciate it. Definitely hope that others who were nominated and those from the winning podium will take the opportunity to take a bow and engage.

Thanks again.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Congratulations, @Chac1! We only briefly met during the last meet up, but I look forward to seeing and reading all of your current and future endeavors!

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulations, @Chac1! We only briefly met during the last meet up, but I look forward to seeing and reading all of your current and future endeavors!
Thank you @Wraith11B ! I hope all went well for you on the weekend. Yes, so good to meet you and others at the virtual session. I would encourage any of the newer folks to volunteer to take part (and really anyone on the forums too). Amazing how good writers sound just like the voice they bring to their AARs.

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Congratulations to all our justly recognised new blood, even if they are no longer "new" at this point. May it inspire lurkers and all those who linger without commenting to make the leap and start posting.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Congratulations to all the winners. I am just happy to have been nominated, to be honest. XD

As a longtime lurker/first-time writer it is nice getting some recognition. The amount of talent on display here is staggering, honestly, and just being associated can make one feel quite good. :)

• 5Like
Reactions:
Congratulations to all our justly recognised new blood, even if they are no longer "new" at this point. May it inspire lurkers and all those who linger without commenting to make the leap and start posting.
Definitely agree with your final point @El Pip . Hoping more folks join the conversation. This is an encouraging group. But with so many excellent writers about, it is easy to be intimidated.

I do wonder what constitutes "new." After eight months here, I'm sure some folks find me "old." (And I am definitely that.) The rules say anyone who has made new major contributions from December of 2022 until the end of 2023 is eligible in this category. So some folks are definitely newer than others.
Congratulations to all the winners. I am just happy to have been nominated, to be honest. XD

As a longtime lurker/first-time writer it is nice getting some recognition. The amount of talent on display here is staggering, honestly, and just being associated can make one feel quite good. :)
Great to see @Uriel Blackwing here. If you have not checked out their AAR The Fourth Age, you really should. Definitely worthy of your time.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Congrats to all the new comers!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Congratulations @Chac1 on a very well deserved golden cup! It’s been great to see you joining in with various community endeavours with such enthusiasm and originality. Long may your stay in AARland continue!

Congratulations also to @Basileus2 and @ageofadelina for bronze and silver, as well as to all those nominated. AARland is far richer for having you on board!

Now if you’ll all excuse me, it now having been an entire decade since I won this thing in 2013, I’m off to sit silently in the bAAR and enjoy a mild existential crisis.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Congratulations @Chac1 on a very well deserved golden cup! It’s been great to see you joining in with various community endeavours with such enthusiasm and originality. Long may your stay in AARland continue!

Congratulations also to @Basileus2 and @ageofadelina for bronze and silver, as well as to all those nominated. AARland is far richer for having you on board!

Now if you’ll all excuse me, it now having been an entire decade since I won this thing in 2013, I’m off to sit silently in the bAAR and enjoy a mild existential crisis.
Thank you @DensleyBlair for your kind words. So good to meet you (and others) at the recent virtual meeting. Hoping we have more time to chat the next time.

Looking forward to your next posting in the bAAR, even if it comes with an existential crisis. I'll buy.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thank you @DensleyBlair for your kind words. So good to meet you (and others) at the recent virtual meeting. Hoping we have more time to chat the next time.

Looking forward to your next posting in the bAAR, even if it comes with an existential crisis. I'll buy.
Yes hopefully next time my schedule will be a bit clearer and I can hop on earlier in the evening. Was good to meet you briefly!

I will update the honourable members of the bAAR with the results of my navel gazing in due course. Which on my schedule should mean around November 2026.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: