• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Too bad about backing England...but, I hope you can get back into the good graces of the French. As they are a land powerhouse. Still, you are right about France (in the case of Alsace), they can't be trusted.

Your doing a great job in detailing the history. There's a lot of insight.

And, Thank you for picking me as the "Fan of the Week!"

Last edited:
A mixed bag of results it seems. The war of reconquest began by England shows why I am reluctant to ever get too closely involved with allies. They can prove far too incompetent at times. However, allies have aided you in others wars which have given you some good gains, so I guess its a gamble you have to take when making and honouring an alliance.

Ah perfidious Albion
Allies are always a gamble (excepting loyal vassals) but I find that if its a nation that they dislike or rival they're much
more likely to join you...note i said likely not certainly. I played Austria once that had spread to the Middle East and was allied to a gigantic Ethiopia(all Swahili, Yemen, Oman, most of North Africa and Egypt minus the OPM Mamluks in Cairo), we had super relations and then the Mamluks dowed me and the Ethiopians bolted...eventhough they surrounded Cairo! Fools

Dewirix : yeah i will be in trouble, but i won't DoW them without a good reason , and not just a gameplay " they are where they shouldn't "

Range : your hopes will come true :D

morningSIDEr : i chose to help them , but i didn't thought they'd win :D
however England is more a burden than anything else with their stupid wars without CB

blsteen : i think i'm done with albion after this update :D

chapter IX : return to old buddies​

In august 1464 , the Pope claims Ancona , but as we are recovering from the great war , and don't want to fight the pope either , we will not answer to his provocations ... i'm just hoping not getting excommunicated for this!

eu3594.jpg

One year after , an occasion arose to get rid of two problems at once , the small northern bishoprics of Mainz and Trier , and war is declared. The rotten swine in England dishonors the alliance , but this does not stop usin vassalizing our two northern neighbors , for two infamy , making the Palatinate renounce its claims , wurzburg is freed for a concession of defeat , but the pope seized the recently claimed Ancona while i was concentrated on the northern front , and sank my 3 cogs that were docked there
Milan would not grand me military access , and to get peace , we had to pay 50 ducats to the papal states to be at peace again , as we can't get to our italian possessions anymore... we will remember that , papal states! next mission is to befriend Baden ... baden? the Burgundian vassal? it would took quite a lot of time , diplomats and money for that!

since our archbishop passed away , Friedrich III came to power , and he's not a total disaster , except on administrative field (6 dip /3 adm /7mil )

eu3595.jpg

contacts were renewed and alliance was signed again with our old friends Netherlands and France , we see here a map of our territory/influence/allies

eu3598.jpg

thanks guys , i really like allies... with a well-timed corruption event my stab drops all the way to -3 , and we were again at war ... but this time the dogpile was on Burgundy and not me! the tactic was to only kill the one or two regiment armies that wome my way , and occupy Baden once again . our mission changes to ... naval race against Milan? they are crazy? i have no navy left! and only 3 ships limit!

eu3601.jpg

Burgundy facing both the Netherlands (that includes England and Milan) coalition and the French coalition is pretty much losing half its territory in two years only.
they surrender four provinces to the Netherlands , and will cede as much to the French... instead of a pig purple state , i'll have a blue one and an orange one ... maybe not much better

A breakthrough in 1468 allows us to improve our trading by adopting shrewd commerce practices

in 1470 , the emperor dies , and the king of the Netherlands is chosen to replace him

In 1472 , the Pisans ask us to integrate them into the realm , but only half of them agreed with that and we now face a rebellion in the still ungarnisonned southern Alsace , they accepted it the first time we formally asked them an entiere annexation! now the swiss are asking us to fully integrate them as a province and not a vassal! but the milanese refusal of military access is still worriying us , having a very complicated route through Netherlands , ferry the troops to Calais , march to Marseille , then embark again and drop in Italy to avoid milanese blocus

included 1472 map

eu3mapals147210141.jpg

In southern german area , Bavaria and Austria are facing and hating each other , we will try to keep them that way.
Poland disappeared to a Mazovia , and Lithuania is somewhat strong
Baden has been annexed b Burgundy , i guess it's time to test their patriotism
in the West , Castille , France and England are strong , as are the Netherlands
the Hansa sominated orthern Germany and pwned Denmark , and fought Netherlands to a draw thanks to AI naval skill :D
Quite surprisingly , north Africa hasn't been conquered :D

Potential threats on all sides with Castille is blobbing up quite quickly, which could prove troublesome in the future for yourself. And an uncooperative Milan to your south, and a large Netherlands, newly crowned Emperor, to the north. Thus things look a bit precarious at present, which makes for a great read, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Bravo...mighty Alsace.

Thank you again for Fan of the week.
I've selected King_Richard_XI as the next Fan of the Week.

Boris ze Spider : thx

Dewirix : we will do it next time

morningSIDEr : thanks ^^. trying to get the europeans roughly equally powerful is a bit hard :D

Range : thx

chapter X : perfect reputation

This is time for some update! i was busy , planned to do this thursday but i got some work :D

Shortly after these events , the blob defeated a castillan invasion by himself , great!

eu3612.jpg

those rebels in Siena took their sime sieging the fort and this is good as they were forgotten for some time , and about one year after they were crushed when the army finally get there , walking north to Antwerp , ferried from Antwerp to Calais , walking to Marseille , then ferried again to Pisa! Those milanese are really annoying but i have no justification to provide to go against them!

A spy was sent to Beden , and the burgundian administration saw nothing , and the province fell to alsatian funded patriot rebels without opposition.
This same year , we gained some influence over the papacy , but ultimately had nothing to ask them , but you know how this is : they send you a mesage when they listen to you , and when you need them , you discover nobody took care to inform you that you are no longer papal sponsor!

In 1476 , the province of Baden defected to us , but we granted them autonomy (release vassal). they should appreciate this , having been a burgundian vassal forsome decades , integrating them for only a few years before seceding in a bloodless revolution!

this same year , we had to make a choice , as France was asking our help against England in a defensive war , but the dutch were allied to the english , and we followed our french allies!
we took advantage of this situation to declare war on burgundy , who was also at war against France with the alliance casus belli , being anyway at war against the dutch emperors.

Burgundy was at war against France because they honoured their guarantee on Foix , and we joined the war to ensure the blue would not shatter
Burgundy having its hands full with France , quickly agreed to cede the strategic province of Barrois , who would be guaranteed some autonomy as soon as the wars ended , but we would prevent the french to annex it as it was too close from our capital!

eu3618.jpg

Imperial restrictionsare decreasing our prestige pretty quickly , so we hire a great philosopher in 1480 to counter those effects.
The imperial sanctions were more and more loathed in our country , and the recently won war against them was not improving the situation

eu3627.jpg

Situation in the empire ...
some tensions arose against Bavaria and Austria following the openingof their new centers of trade , because they were disturbing our trading efforts and their CoT's were more prosperous than ours!
Milan is still occupying two of three venetian provinces for quite a while now :D
Most of our small neighbors are under our protection ^^

not shown here , Castille managed to lose half their fleet to England , despite having 36 big ships against England's 34 , and had to release Bearn , last french minor in the Pyrénéean area
France will prove a great ally and/or rival in the future! good!

Nice update! I really like how your balancing act is going and the map is certainly looking more interesting than usual.

Do you plan on reannexing your vassals once you've cored the other HRE territory you're holding? I haven't played an HRE state in 4.1b, but I imagine it must be a pain.

oh man you are playing a dangerous game helping france grow bigger! Well it will make for an interesting game. Good read so far!
one question : will you be changing your government from theocracy if you can?

Excellent...Great read...And, Alsace is making great strides.

I hope you can Keep a high relationship with France...at least, for as long as you want.

Last edited:
I really like how this game is turning out, attempting to balance the powers of numerous rivals on all sides, whilst also building up your own nation. I do rather hope you are able to put some of your rivals to the sword at some point however!

Dewirix : i will annex them when i get the mission to , which give a core on one of their provinces , so one and two province vassals are great :D

Gottskalk : i think i will ... there are three chances to get out of there , maybe more if i collapse but this isn't gonna happen :D

sad king billy : they are cool , and did most of that themselves :D

blsteen : i'll keep them around for some time

Range : they are a powerful diversion for my ennemies :D as long as they follow me , maybe things will change when religious chaos will occur ^^

morningSIDEr : oh yeah i will .. the first one will be the southern one ^^

Kipsnif : I think they'll disappear , but they fell only 20-25 years ago and had many provinces/vassals :D

chapter XI : where our neighbors should be in our sphere of influence

eu3628.jpg

in April 1482 , we notice Burgundy is in trouble , despite her list of allies as none of them will provide a worthwile opposition to french troops. For the moment , we do nothing as we have no interest in this.

In October , switzerland agrees to annexation and we gain a core on Breisgau. Our next target is our small eastern neighbor , Wurttemberg! preparations are made to subjugate them , and we look carefully at alliances to get the most of our declaration. Quite surprisingly , the archbishop declares war on Savoy , with the alliance casus belli
that draws all of their allies , and all of ours , well only Munster as France is already at war with them :D so we declared war on Savoy and are now at war against Burgundy*, Savoy , Papal states , Cologne , Wurttemberg and Hesse.

that may seem a coalition , but they hardly are as none have military access to the others , except Savoy and Burgundy , but these two are getting mauled by the french army and are a non-factor.

Wurttemberg is subjugated , so are the papal states , creating an interesting situation , as they are still recognized as spiritual leader by most western states , excet by our country and dependencies! The pope should be in Strasbourg , and that annoying bishop of Rome is put on leash , he had the specialty to create nasty or annoying alliances and opposing us a little too much :rolleyes: .

Burgundy was eager to sign peace , as our demands were moderate , we only asked them to renounce thir claims on Barrois , as that province was on our sphere of influence.

To maintain the status quo in the south we send a diplomat to Munich , and they agreed to form an alliance with us against Austria which seemed intimidating , expanding slowly in what once was Hungary.

to finish our divine missions to subjugate all of our neighbors , we had some major annoyance as the Netherlands are guaranteeing them , and we do not want to go to war against them for now ... well there is a way , suggested by some knight , is to kill two birds with one stone , as they are allied to Venice , another anoying trader , who recently lost Trieste to Austria ... we send one army there and declare war on them , without a casus belli ... is the Archbishop mad? what is his plan to invade Venice?

In the world of EU3...there are no finer two words than Subjugate and annexation...Keep up the fine work.

Last edited: