You can abuse "guarantee independence" to force open all borders

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GuardianGI

Captain
1 Badges
Jul 18, 2015
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Just revoke guarantee and you get 10 years of truce (only from you) and open borders. Repeat ad infinitum. Really useful for getting all that juicy influence from contacting empires.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Oh man, this'll be great for the "pick up random alien specimens from the territory of all these empires that hate you" quest line

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Wasn't this a thing since like... 1.5 (or whichever patch introduced forcibly open borders during truce?)
Does the AI use it for this purpose also?
Not intentionally. But it sure takes the chance to fill any gaps in territory you failed to :p

Reactions:
Don't you need a certain relative power compared to someone to guarantee independence? I thought that was what determined whether it gave you guarantee independence or defensive pact as options.

However the down side is getting pulled into a war with attackers you don't have a problem with

You don't keep the guarantee. You just give it and immediately revoke it, which creates a truce.

Reactions:
They really need to remove a lot of the hard lock outs and replace them with soft punishments

Close borders shouldn't prevent you from going into territory, but you should take a growing opinion penalty with both the target empire AND all other empires for each ship for violating another empire's soverignty.

As for Truces - you should be able to break a truce anytime (at an decaying influence cost), but doing so increases the opinion malus (again) against all other empires.

Reactions:
Just revoke guarantee and you get 10 years of truce (only from you) and open borders. Repeat ad infinitum. Really useful for getting all that juicy influence from contacting empires.
a way to balance this is whenever you guarantee another empire depending on the amount of current existing guarantees you have on other empires then they will be mad. An example is if you already have 10 guarantees then the new empire would get a "hollow promise" modifier for their opinion to you and if you get this modifier then they won't "accept" it so whenever you break the guarantee there is no truce but the opinion modifier is removed

They really need to remove a lot of the hard lock outs and replace them with soft punishments

Close borders shouldn't prevent you from going into territory, but you should take a growing opinion penalty with both the target empire AND all other empires for each ship for violating another empire's soverignty.

As for Truces - you should be able to break a truce anytime (at an decaying influence cost), but doing so increases the opinion malus (again) against all other empires.

This is similar to how Total War does it. Breaking a truce "early" or example, or declaring war while having a truce, you take a HUGE negative impact to your trustworthiness.

This can be reflected in Stellaris through massive opinion hits.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In all honesty, the whole "End war borders forced open" or "we have a truce open the borders" mechanic is completely broken to begin with.

If you end an agreement and enter a truce, I think borders should be forced closed for 10 years.

If I fight a war and win, then my enemy's borders are open to me (I won after all), but mine are closed to them. If they win and I lose, then exactly the opposite.

If a war ends in a white peace truce (a draw) then both sides borders should remain closed.

In other words, the only way it should be possible to force open an empires closed borders is by winning a war against them. The current system is a completely broken mechanic that just begs abuse.

• 2Like
Reactions: