• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WeeBigTerd101

Captain
2 Badges
Nov 16, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Battle for Bosporus
This empire often employs it's army in engineering and public works projects to help balance out the military expenditure.

Effects:
+1% construction speed from every army on the planet.
+1 engineering research from armies (defense and assault).

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
This would synergize really well with Citizen Service, both mechanically (since you're incentivised to build at least one stronghold per planet, stacking these bonuses), and roleplay wise (servicemembers either work in civilian economic development or tours of duty to earn their citizenship). You could almost just roll the effects into the existing civic, which I wouldn't mind as well, and it frees up a civic slot.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just love it. He was precisely suggesting that more civics be added that would take more advantage of the use of soldier jobs and armies, since land combat is totally boring and insurmountable.

Although I think 1% build speed per army would be too much. I think it's better 1% for soldier work.

Although I think 1% build speed per army would be too much. I think it's better 1% for soldier work.
I don't think so. With the default enforcer job given by the capital building, and two soldier jobs from one stronghold, they'll create 10 defense armies (and the effects of this civic could be restricted to them, to prevent exploits with assault armies). With 1% build speed each, you can get 10% in the early game, and 20% or more early on with your capital/fortress upgrade. That isn't too bad. If it was just soldier work, you'd be looking at only 2/4%, which feels way too underpowered.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I don't think so. With the default enforcer job given by the capital building, and two soldier jobs from one stronghold, they'll create 10 defense armies (and the effects of this civic could be restricted to them, to prevent exploits with assault armies). With 1% build speed each, you can get 10% in the early game, and 20% or more early on with your capital/fortress upgrade. That isn't too bad. If it was just soldier work, you'd be looking at only 2/4%, which feels way too underpowered.
Put like that, then it doesn't seem bad to me. What didn't seem right to me was filling a planet with assault armies to increase the construction bonus hehe.

Another idea, I think that the military academy could instead of adding soldier jobs, it could include a new type of job called "Officers". The building would continue to add experience to the exercises recruited and in addition, it would add +1 officer work and +1 for every 2 or 4 defensive armies.
The officer and soldier jobs could function in a similar way to the knights and squires of the "Knights of the Toxic God" origin.

• 3Like
Reactions:
+1 engineering research from defense armies, right? That seems totally reasonable, and roughly on par with the .5 unity from Unyielding. Handy, especially for knights or necromancers.

The construction speed, if it's limited to defense, is currently just a ribbon, though. It needs to either be significantly stronger, like +3.3% per defense army, or else it will be totally unnoticeable. At +10% per soldier and +6.6% per enforcer, it would actually do something for your empire. Maybe +20% on large worlds, plus a bit extra with necromancers. You'll build fortress worlds blazing fast, but that will be only fortress worlds. And that's kinda the whole point, as I understand it.

1% for all armies, including defense armies, would be great, though. You'd have a roving Army Corps of Engineers that goes from planet to planet to speed along development, which is very thematic.

Build speed is not an exceedingly powerful mechanic. At best, its like having minerals a few months in advance (so you cut your mineral budget by roughly half of what you have currently invested in ongoing construction). But most of the time, it's just a quality of life thing, and you have to have it in large amounts for it to even be noticeable.

Reactions:
+1 investigación de ingeniería de los ejércitos de defensa , ¿verdad? Eso parece totalmente razonable, y más o menos a la par con la unidad .5 de Unyielding. Práctico, especialmente para caballeros o nigromantes.

Sin embargo, la velocidad de construcción, si se limita a la defensa, actualmente es solo una cinta. Necesita ser significativamente más fuerte, como +3.3% por ejército de defensa, o de lo contrario será totalmente imperceptible. Con un +10 % por soldado y un +6,6 % por ejecutor, en realidad haría algo por tu imperio. Tal vez +20% en mundos grandes, más un poco más con nigromantes. Construirás mundos fortaleza ultrarrápidamente, pero serán solo mundos fortaleza. Y ese es un poco el punto, según lo entiendo.

Sin embargo, el 1% para todos los ejércitos, incluidos los ejércitos de defensa, sería genial. Tendrías un Cuerpo de Ingenieros del Ejército itinerante que va de planeta en planeta para acelerar el desarrollo, que es muy temático.

La velocidad de construcción no es una mecánica extremadamente poderosa. En el mejor de los casos, es como tener minerales con algunos meses de anticipación (por lo que reduce su presupuesto de minerales en aproximadamente la mitad de lo que ha invertido actualmente en la construcción en curso). Pero la mayoría de las veces, es solo una cuestión de calidad de vida, y tienes que tenerlo en grandes cantidades para que se note.
I think I would prefer the first suggestion, although I cannot deny that the second option would at least motivate me not to demobilize my armies in peacetime or when there is no planet to invade.

PS: I think we just need to find a practical objective for the general, especially those who are on planets. Do you want a bit of stability for army or soldier work on the planet? That would definitely motivate me to have a stronghold or two on my major worlds and a general stationed on them.