Pirate Enclaves (using the Situation system to address Piracy)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zetesofos

Captain
37 Badges
Aug 17, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Magicka
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
With overlord coming out, we're almost ready for the next edition. Along with that, the patch will introduce the 'situations' system to allow more options for a bevy of internal (and hopefully future external) events.

One idea that I had recently is how it could maybe be used to deal with pirates. Right now, piracy is...annoying - not really much to worry about except the occasional group of angry fleets that destroy a few stations before you destroy them -- most of the time.

Now, piracy as a concept is cool, but the execution is lacking. Leaving the trade system aside (which has a couple other issues), I do think the piracy suppression system is great.
So, what think the biggest change is needed is to move piracy from something that happens infrequently and ultimately does little to instead turn it into a situation with a potentially much larger consequence (also, one that isn't inherently bad either).

The idea is this: As your piracy rate goes up, each system adds points to a new situation called something like "Empire Piracy" - and having ships stationed on trade routes and or patrolling helps to mitigate that situation going up.

Once the situation reaches several critical junctures though, important events start to happen:

Stage I is simply "Raiders" - and instead of having random convoys show up to attack that you have to micromanage, instead there is simply a degradation of trade routes and empire trade value production.

Stage II is "Arms Trafficking" - innocuous enough, but at this stage, your empire takes a penalty to its naval capacity and perhaps ship building speed, or other things like that.
Stage III "Pirate Enclave" - the last stage is the most fun. Rather than just a few random fleets, an entire system, or even MORE are formed out of your empire, and come loaded with a MAJOR fleet.
This new enclave would be similar to the newly announced military enclaves, with the exception that they have a starting NEGATIVE opinion against your empire, and probably a couple minor traits that increase piracy around their area of space.

At the same time, one can 'buy' them off, and not have to fight them, enlist them against their enemies, or... defeat them and reclaim the system.
The main point is that the 1st to penalties be obviously harmful, but no so bad that you are always wanting to dedicate time to fixing them. In fact, maybe there are some upsides to having a little low level of piracy in the empire (maybe piracy costs you money, but gives you access to new technology, or other random benefits) - something that might make the risk worth taking. Add a little bit of random chance and now you have a simple event that can really shake up the status quo in an empire.

ALSO - this make's arm privateers much more interesting - rather than just causing a random fleet to show up, make the operation increase the piracy across the empire, and watch that situation level tick up a whole bunch - and suddenly and empire finds itself with a new front on its borders.

Edit: Maybe some upsides of low piracy levels are that it impacts commercial pacts with your allies (either harming theirs, or increasing your ratio) as the pirates are raiding their ships.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
I think if PDX put this idea through their process, they could make something really interesting for the game. Maybe find a way to tie it into the Mercenary mechanic.

• 4Like
Reactions:
This also means short-lived spikes in piracy (such as between cycles of patrol fleets) could have a lesser impact on the growth of a piracy situation.

I think if PDX put this idea through their process, they could make something really interesting for the game. Maybe find a way to tie it into the Mercenary mechanic.

Yep, some ideas could have the eventual spawning pirates either be a maurader, a mercenary enclave, or a criminal syndicate empire. I could see each of those making sense.

How about rather than setting up camp in a preexisting system, they actually generate a hidden system to raid from. You have to track them back to their point of origin to find it before it is revealed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Pre-surveyed systems, like Marauders, with no resource deposits. Useless space fillers. Maybe even despawn the system after clearing it because the lanes to it are too unstable to use.

How about rather than setting up camp in a preexisting system, they actually generate a hidden system to raid from. You have to track them back to their point of origin to find it before it is revealed.

Not necessarily bad, but problem is piracy is something that should be happening in every empire, so there is a chance that you'd have -- therefore -- it might be too many systems.

Also, pirates adding a NEW system doesn't really seem as much of a penalty as you losing a system you already had.

No “new star systems” please. Just take what is there, starting next to the empire borders, and If there arent empty systems, then with highest current piracy. (Max piracy in system - piracy suppresion)

yes to adding it to situations for empirewide efects and events
- it also has effects on crime on planets

add espinonage option to help piracy in other empires

• 2Like
Reactions:
I believe these old threads of mine can add something extra to your idea which I think is fantastic:

Last edited:
The new situation system seems like it would be perfect for this and you could make some cool random events. Boosting crime rates on random worlds. Have artifact get stollen.

Ending it in making an enclave is a great idea.

Maybe in the future they could make a pirat enclave that works like the maradur clans, so it is less about hiring them as muscles and more about hiring them to raid your opponents.

Alright, the new system was a step too far. As a counter-offer, how about their bases only spawn in unoccupied/undefended systems and are hidden until either anti-piracy fleet or station power rises high enough to reveal them? Once enough hidden bases like this are active in a given region of the galaxy, an Enclave can spawn.

Alright, the new system was a step too far. As a counter-offer, how about their bases only spawn in unoccupied/undefended systems and are hidden until either anti-piracy fleet or station power rises high enough to reveal them? Once enough hidden bases like this are active in a given region of the galaxy, an Enclave can spawn.

I guess the question is - is your primary concern losing a colony?

I had somehow a similar idea with some different ideas of implementation : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/pirates.1522355/post-28237692

I just think it shouldn't be "out of your empire", I think it should be enclaves INSIDE your empire but with negative effects (but potentially neutral or slightly positive effects once you have agreements them)

Well, I think the issue is that what is the functional difference between a hostile enclave 'in' your empire vs a separate territory? Hypothetically - shouldn't it be possible for a pirate enclave to become completely hostile, and attack you. At that point, what's the point of controlling the system?

And to add to that - shouldn't they be able to expand?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think it could be done both, in which there could be a cultist-style piracy where there are external pirates as for stocks of various loads outside the empire and others in internal territory who do robberies etc ...

My main drive with the hidden bases and such is that, unless the empire is very dysfunctional or the pirates are being funded, their best defense against the law is stealth. The instant they appear on the map, they're an easy target.

That would be cool if pirates made their own enclaves that you could interact with. Maybe you could even pay them to disappear or hire them to go somewhere else. It could also make the establish privateers espianage option more worthwhile as a small tithe of loot could come your way if the privateers are successful.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think it could be done both, in which there could be a cultist-style piracy where there are external pirates as for stocks of various loads outside the empire and others in internal territory who do robberies etc ...

Well, we already have maurders to serve as outside pirates.

• 1Like
Reactions: