Slave Market - Auction = how to fix everything

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mastikator

Technocrat
16 Badges
Jul 2, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
There are two big problems with the slave market, and I'm not counting "morality" as one of them.

1) The slaves are never sold early game and late game sold immediately
This means that early game it's hard to sell slaves for those precious energy credits, it's also impossible to buy slaves late game because they're always gone.

2) The price of slaves is often too low, it's almost always worth buying (even if you're paying double) and never worth selling

The market works against you, when you want to sell it's impossible to sell, when you want to buy it's impossible to buy.

The solution?

A little thing called AUCTION, you don't buy slaves you bid for slaves.

How could such a system work? When you push the button to buy a slave instead you bid for it. If there already exists a bid you just add +10%. Each time a bid is placed a timer starts, the timer could be... 30 days, and each time a bid is placed the bidding time adds 2 days (up to a maximum of 30).

The AI and player will each compete with energy credits for the slave, and pay as much as they're willing to pay. The HUGE benefit for the seller is that they might get way more than a mere 1000 energy credits.

How would non-slaver empires interact with this? Easy, whenever they bid they must increase it to either +10% of the current price or double the original, whichever is highest.

This would make slave trade viable throughout the entire game, from beginning to end. Both to the player, the AI, both to the buyer and the seller. Everyone is happy.

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Yeah and while we're at it I'd like to add something that always bothered me:

It should be known which empire offered which one - So I can nuke the sh*t out of that bastard who dared to enslave my kin!

• 4Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Yeah and while we're at it I'd like to add something that always bothered me:

It should be known which empire offered which one - So I can nuke the sh*t out of that bastard who dared to enslave my kin!
TBH I agree. I'd like a ledger of the galactic market and slave market so I can go Lincoln on their heiney

How could such a system work? When you push the button to buy a slave instead you bid for it. If there already exists a bid you just add +10%. Each time a bid is placed a timer starts, the timer could be... 30 days, and each time a bid is placed the bidding time adds 2 days (up to a maximum of 30).

The AI and player will each compete with energy credits for the slave, and pay as much as they're willing to pay. The HUGE benefit for the seller is that they might get way more than a mere 1000 energy credits.
This is good.

Further suggestion which would slow down the market: you can only put a small number of pops per species up for auction at a time.

Maybe even just one? Or maybe up to three at once? I dunno.

This way slavers would be incentivized to go out and catch new species to sell, and farming slaves (e.g. Thrall Worlds) might remain viable into the late-game since demand will just increase even as supply is constrained.

Just make that a CB -- even if they never sell one of your founder species, just owning one such pop should be a legit war justification.

Even if the Galactic Market never forms, you could still nuke the evildoers.

• 2Like
Reactions: