• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Summer of 1918

The cathedral built on the burned down remnants of the late King Lombardi's palace outside Venice was finally complete. When the gunpowder reserves under the palace had mysteriously gone up in flames and taken the king with them, people had avoided the site as cursed. The Pope thought differently. Perhaps to appease the Italians, the Pope ordered a grand cathedral built on the estate, right where Lombardi had met his end. The grand building towered over the flat landscape covered with vineyards, now worked by priests and laymen. Now all those men were gathered in the cathedral, admiring the finished product. Not a single soul there even remembered what the site had been before Lombardi had taken it for his own.

The priests and honoured guests sat in the freshly polished pews, admiring the stained glass windows and exquisite art depicting various religious scenes important to the Catholic Church. The pulpit remained empty, for His Holiness himself was said to be arriving soon to bless the cathedral with his presence. A shadowy figure lurking just out of sight had no intention of allowing the Pope to ever set foot in the cathedral. As the guests all gathered in the cathedral, the figure sneaked away to begin the first part of his scheme.

As the guests took their seats, a loud ruckus erupted. The sound of clanging metal filled the air and the doors slammed shut with a loud thud. The windows rattled as though the wind had picked up suddenly. People muttered to each other, unsure of what was happening. Some brave soul went to open the door, only to find that it was barred from the outside. As word spread that they were trapped, panic started to set in. Time for the second phase.

A burst of flame erupted from behind the pulpit. People screamed in shock, and then screamed again as a figure emerged from the smoke to stand before them. He wore the finest vestments and a golden crown. His skin was ghostly pale and covered in soot. He glared down at the people in attendance and shouted, "Fear me, mortals, for your king has returned and he finds you wanting. You built this site of God upon my grave, but know this, people of Italy, that there is only one man worth your veneration and that is me, your glorious king, the Great Lombardi!"

A woman fainted and people scurried to the door, trying to ram it open. They hurried even more when another burst of flame erupted from behind Lombardi's ghost. The ghost cackled wickedly, his voice echoing through the cathedral. Time for phase three.

"You dare flee from your king!" Lombardi screeched. "Witness my power and know that you have made a grave mistake." The ghost raised his hand to the ceiling, pointing the the chandelier suspended above. It immediately started to sway and dropped ever so slightly. Lombardi swept his other hand up in a grand gesture. The chandelier suddenly broke free and plummeted to the floor. It crashed amongst the pews, now unoccupied as people gathered around the blocked doorway, the bang reverberating throughout the room.

Lombardi was not quite done yet. He waved his hand towards a painting hanging on the wall. It showed Christ at the Last Supper, but the Pope had been put in the place of Jesus. What was with these rulers of Italy and their vanity? As Lombardi waved his hand that way, flames burst from the floor, engulfing the painting. The frame cracked and the painted parchment crinkled up into blackened ash. Lombardi laughed and pointed to another painting. More flames burst forth to burn the painting away. The crowd was screaming in fear and beating against the door to get out. Now for the finale.

"Know that your king is gracious and willing to release you from this prison in exchange for your undying loyalty. But let it be known that there will be no false rulers. There is but one king, and that is me. The Pope shall never reign over my kingdom." Raising his hands to the heavens, Lombardi let out a long cackle. A piercing sound filled the air, forcing everyone to cover their ears. Then the grandest of the stained glass windows, one depicting the Pope in all his self-obsessed glory, shattered in a million pieces. The people screamed as glass fell down upon them.

The people seemed on verge of entering a frenzy, nearly trampling each other to get at the door. As they rushed it again, it suddenly swung open and the crowd rushed into the open. They fled one by one into the countryside, getting as far from the haunted cathedral as possible. As the last of them left, Lombardi grinned and stepped down from the pulpit.

"Well, men, I believe you more than earned your pay with that display." Lombardi grabbed his sleeve and wiped the face paint and fake soot from his face, revealing the features of Donatello Favero. Some hidden staircases opened on the walls as men in overalls stepped into the cathedral, grins on their faces. They gathered around Donatello, slapping each other on the back. Donatello eyed them all in turn. "The pyro effects were fantastic. I had no idea you could control fire like that."

"Well with the proper amount of explosives in a contained environment," one worker said, "you can pull off some amazing things."

"I nearly lost my composure when that chandelier fell," Donatello said with a smirk.

"I doubt you'd be laughing if it fell on your head though when I cut that rope," another worker said.

Donatello turned to a worker wearing glasses. "Good job with the stained glass. I almost feared it wouldn't shatter."

"Well with the right frequency of noise adjusted for the consistency of the glass, you can manage such a thing with ease."

Donatello shook hands with all of them one by one. These men had all been part of the crew that built the cathedral, and he'd paid them quite handsomely for their part in his scheme, much more than the cheapskate Pope was willing to pay them for their honest labour. They had been the ones to set up the traps, building hidden staircases and a secret room under the cathedral from where they could erupt the flames and control the other fake haunting phenomena. They certainly had more fun under his employ. But there was still one last thing to do.

"Well, men, it's been a pleasure," Donatello said as a couple more workers entered the cathedral with barrels of gunpowder. They placed them strategically around the room and laid a trail of powder right to the door. The workers followed the Senator to the door, where he pulled out a match and lit the trail. He closed the door behind him. "Shall we?"

They immediately scattered to the vineyards, not stopping their run until they heard the first explosion. Fortunately, they were far enough away when the barrels exploded. The remaining windows shattered as flames erupted from every opening. Smoke billowed from inside the cathedral. The freshly lacquered pews surely provided more than enough fuel to keep the flames going. As Donatello fled to the countryside, he was pleased to see the smoke spiralling higher and higher as the cathedral burned to the ground.

Donatello was well on his way to Venice and from then on to Constantinople when the Pope finally arrived at the cathedral. He had seen the smoke from afar and quickened the pace of his caravan. When he arrived, he found his new cathedral up in flames. A terrified priest rushed towards him and screamed, "It was the ghost of Lombardi! He's returned to seek vengeance!"

The Pope rolled his eyes and ordered his caravan to turn back around. There was nothing for him here now. It was better that he leave this accursed estate alone. Nothing good ever happened there anyway.

Reactions:
((But no more wars mean Italy remains in the hands of traitorous rebels! Better not tell Donatello that or he might return home for another assassination attempt. Speaking of that, who would be the ruler of Italy at the moment? I need to know whose name I should curse every post. :p))

((Well, if we're in need of a new Italian tyrant, how about Giovanni di Lampedusa, Count of Livorno?))

By 1918, the reconstruction of Constantinople was nearly complete. Not just the reconstruction from the sack of 1911, but a reconstruction that had been under way since the 1858 industrial reforms. The flood of job seekers into Constantinople from the countryside had led to a city unable to meet the needs of its residents. Their dwellings were little more than hovels, the streets often only a few meters wide. Sunlight rarely reached them, and air barely circulated. There was insufficient water to meet the needs of the growing city, and the less said of the Golden Horn where the city’s waste was dumped, the better.
108-43.jpg

It was clear that something must be done. Empress Veronica had recognized the need and appointed Georges-Eugène Haussmann to fix the city. He began a program of reconstruction, demolishing many of the worst neighborhoods, building wide boulevards, sidewalks, train stations, parks, and fountains.

He also had immediately begun construction of new waterworks, bringing plenty of fresh water into the city. And as the streets were expanded, so were the sewers beneath them. These sewers were large enough for men to work in while standing upright, and had the capacity to carry away human waste, industrial waste, storm water, and the water used to wash the streets.
108-44.jpg

The demolished neighborhoods were replaced with the now-iconic Haussmann apartments. The workers of the city (at least, those that could afford to live in them) found they loved the increased light, airflow, and space they provided. Sanitation increased, and so did health.

Outlying areas of the city were brought into the city proper. The Chorigía Bridge and Galata bridge were reconstructed across the Golden Horn, making Galata more connected to the city center. Villages outside the Theodisian walls were legally incorporated into The City (much to the dismay of their residents).

The sack of Constantinople seemed as if it might be the end of these construction efforts. But the fire in the sack’s wake cleared the upper-class neighborhoods that had stood in the way of modernization. The Hagia Sophia was repaired and made more robust against the earthquakes in the region. The Great Palace was rebuilt, the Hippodrome modernized, the parks and gardens even more magnificent. With the later economic reforms, even the lowliest of workers could now afford one of the apartments.

Constantinople of 1918 was a modern, healthy, busy city, again living to its title: The City of Man’s Desire.

(( photo credits: wikipedia. In public domain due to age, etc, etc. ))

Last edited:
Reactions:
(( Sorry for the lack of updates lately. The new job is good, but the drive is long, and life is crazy in a great many ways. Hopefully the update frequency will pick up a little in the future. ))

Truly the City of the World's Desire! We can again boast that Constantinople is the greatest city in the world and that its citizens are among the best cared for in the world!

((Don't worry, take your time with the updates. We can wait.))

Reactions:
Donatello Favero rents one of the new apartments in Constantinople, knowing that he will likely not be returning to the remains of his estates in Italy any time soon.

Reactions:
(( Also, sorry for the lack of pictures of the apartments. All I could find were modern pictures (and thus under copyright), or ones with obvious French writing everywhere. They're the Haussmann apartments that make Paris so iconic, if you weren't catching the actual history I was inspired by ripped off. ))

((MY NOTIFICATIONS DIDNT TELL ME THIS UPDATED! FUUUUUCCKKKKKK!))

Reactions:
((You posted just three hours after Idrendhur did. Calm down.

Still, we can always rely on the nobility to excessively gentrify certain parts of the City, even if their urban estates have been lost.))

Julius was reading the local newspaper when he noticed an odd column.
Cathedral set on fire by vengeful spirit!

*sighs Senator Donatello, I am sorry for your loss of your estates, but isn't this a bit much?

Reactions:
Julius was reading the local newspaper when he noticed an odd column.
Cathedral set on fire by vengeful spirit!

*sighs Senator Donatello, I am sorry for your loss of your estates, but isn't this a bit much?

What is a bit much? I have no control over the vengeful spirits of dead imposter kings. Perhaps His Unholiness should have performed an exorcism before creating a cathedral on a site that has seen such death. I certainly intend to make use of several skilled priests to cleanse my estates once they are back in my possession. You would think a leader of such a large Church would know better, but I suppose that is a bit much to expect from a heretic.

- Senator Donatello Favero

Reactions:
Eh, Nevermind. I do know a guy though that can clean your estates of heresy in half the time.

Reactions:
Eh, Nevermind. I do know a guy though that can clean your estates of heresy in half the time.
Do tell us. He would make a great addition to the Ministry of Religious Affairs.

Reactions:
((Going out on a limb here))
Markos Angelos is from Berlin but came to the reach in the pursuit of the true faith. He is extremely pious and is a respected religious community member.

Reactions:
((Going out on a limb here))
Markos Angelos is from Berlin but came to the reach in the pursuit of the true faith. He is extremely pious and is a respected religious community member.
Unfortunately, I believe you are mistaken. Markos Angelos was neither extremely pious nor respected. Plus he died during the attempted communist coup a few years ago. The man you are talking about is most likely a fraud.

((I understand your reference, and thanks, but it really wouldn't fit here.))

Reactions:
((Sorry mate, couldn't help it. Hopefully Idhrendur doesn't kick me out for that:oops:))
Unfortunately, I believe you are mistaken. Markos Angelos was neither extremely pious nor respected. Plus he died during the attempted communist coup a few years ago. The man you are talking about is most likely a fraud.
It didn't say that on his card...

Reactions:

((Sorry mate, couldn't help it. Hopefully Idhrendur doesn't kick me out for that:oops:))

It didn't say that on his card...

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Markos Angelos the Plumber? I had him fix a leaky pipe last week in my new apartment. He definitely overcharged me though, so I don't recommend making use of his services.

- Senator Donatello Favero

Reactions:
(( I'm just over here trying to figure out what the Ministry of Religious Affairs would be, as I always envisioned the Orthodox Church as in control of their own affairs (under the patriarch). Though they were the ones who had all the Sunday Schools that got expanded to be the K-12 equivalents in this world. So perhaps that'd be equivalent to Minister of Education? ))