• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Harbor))

The group reached the harbor without further incident. They found a submarine moored at the dock, waiting for them.

"Wait," said a senator, "Who gave you guys a freaking U-boat?"

"Germany, of course," said the squad commander, "Don't worry, it only has enough fuel to get us to Athens. You'll be safe there."

He motioned to the sub. "Well, what are you waiting for? Get in and we can get out of here sooner!"

Without another word, the group filed into the sub. A soldier shut the hatch, and the vessel pulled away from the dock, towards the Golden Horn.

((Rebel HQ, Blachernae))

"General Secretary," said a rebel, "Our scouts have detected a U-Boat attempting to flee the city. It does not fly the German colors, and the Germans claim it was stolen from one of their shipyards a month ago."

Tsoukalos realized what that meant. "The senators!" he exclaimed. "Angelos might be evacuating them from the city on that submarine! Raise the Great Chain and destroy that sub before it escapes!"

The rebel relayed the General Secretary's orders to other rebels, who scampered away.

At the Golden Horn, dozens of rebels heaved with all of their might, and slowly a large chain emerged from the waters, putting up a screen below it...

((Somewhere near Julius's neighborhood))

"So, uh, Markos," began Ioannes, "What have you been up to since you were last here?"

"Not much," replied Markos, "Raised my family--yes, I do have a family--in our simple house in Germany, studying theology and military tactics, hoping that I don't have to come back here at some point. Pretty boring stuff, I'd say. I just wanted to get away from all of the court politics and military hierarchy. Can you imagine what it is like being Konstantinos's second-in-command? Always having someone to overshadow you, boss you around, claim all of the credit, and I get blamed for everything because with his death I am suddenly the leader of his movement. Even when I never claimed the throne for myself! Yes, you guys invented that. I don't blame you. I mean, I did sit on the throne and call myself a saint."

"Heads up," said John-Loukas, "We've got company. Rebels up ahead. They appear to be fighting another group of what appear to be armed civilians. One such civilian seems to be wearing senatorial robes."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Ioannes responded. "Let's kill some rebel scum!"

The three men charged towards the rebel group, guns ready.

((The sub))

"Sir," said one of Markos's soldiers, peering through the periscope, "They're trying to raise the Great Chain!"

Suddenly, the sub shook as artillery shells struck the water nearby.

"Load the torpedoes," said the commander, "And prepare to dive."

"Dive, dive! Battle stations!" Alarms blared throughout the sub as men scrambled to their positions, loading torpedoes into launchers, pushing buttons, and pulling levers.

Nestorius almost lost his balance when the sub lurched downward and accelerated forward.

The artillery bombardment continued, and the fear in the crew was almost palpable. The next shot could be a direct hit...

There was a gurgling sound from above, and the soldier retracted the periscope. "Fully submerged, sir."

"Lock all weapons on the Chain and fire at will," ordered the commander.

"Firing away." Several soldiers pressed glowing buttons.

There was a roar as the torpedoes shot out of their launchers, sailing silently towards their target. A few seconds later, they heard a few muted booms as the torpedoes hit their targets. A few seconds after that, they heard metal groaning and tearing as the Chain broke apart, taking its screen with it.

"Direct hit," said a soldier, "The Chain has been neutralized."

"Full speed ahead," ordered the commander.

The sub slid through the wreckage of the formerly Great Chain and left the burning city behind. The sounds of artillery vanished behind them, leaving only the steady hum of the engines.

"Well, we've made it," said the commander, "Athens, here we come!"

The crew and senators clapped in relief. Except for Hairini, who felt like something or someone was missing...

Nestorius was a little nervous about getting into an U-boat. With so many people, it could get claustrophobic. The others reassured him that it would be fine..... until news of the Great Chain being raised came to light.

Everything happened so quickly that Nestorius couldn't get himself ready for the dive. He almost lost his balance when the sub lurched downward and accelerated forward, but fortunately, Hairini was there to help.

The group grew nervous, as the tension rose. The sounds of booms in the water didn't really help. But then, news arrived that the Chain was neutralized. With the sub sliding through, the commander revealed that they had made it. Everyone clapped in relief, but Hairini couldn't shake the feeling she felt earlier. Looking at the senators once more, she finally realized who was missing.

"Where is Senator Marco!?" she yelled, as everyone looked around themselves to see that he wasn't here.

"Where is Senator Marco!?" she yelled, as everyone looked around themselves to see that he wasn't here.
((Wait, who? I don't seem to remember him, or did you just make him up now?))

Reactions:
((*facepalm* just realized that by looking at his signature! Oh well, now I know. He won't be forgotten for long...:D ))

(( Oh, and I realized it seems a little strange for the Scholai Palatinae to not be rushing in already. I'm assuming that anymore, the bulk of their force is occupying the lands to the west of the city, with more on the walls, and but a token garrison in the city itself. It may take time for them to gather against such a strong force hitting by surprise. Of course, this is the one and only time such a thing would work. :) ))

(( Oh, and I realized it seems a little strange for the Scholai Palatinae to not be rushing in already. I'm assuming that anymore, the bulk of their force is occupying the lands to the west of the city, with more on the walls, and but a token garrison in the city itself. It may take time for them to gather against such a strong force hitting by surprise. Of course, this is the one and only time such a thing would work. :) ))
((Also, I plan to send in some loyalist biplanes at some point at the end of this, so Constantinople is not entirely undefended.))

((I regret killing off my character now:p))

(( But you do have potential for some wild updates in the future as the different cadet branches compete for the legacy of the family. In the meanwhile, you could totally create a new character for the rest of these events. ))

((Wait, who? I don't seem to remember him, or did you just make him up now?))
((Normally, I'd be extremely offended. But I can't really blame you since exams in school have prevented me from chillin' on the forums, so you get a pass.))
((I regret killing off my character now:p))
((Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming))

Julius shot another rebel as the wounded were carried away. Then he saw what it seemed to be two men in senatorial robes and an army sergeant shooting the rebels with them. Upon closer inspection, the two men were... Senator Doukas and Angelos! "HALT FIRE!" Julius shouted he ran down and greeted the two men. "I'm so glad to see you guys! What has happened since i'm gone and what's the current situation."

((Normally, I'd be extremely offended. But I can't really blame you since exams in school have prevented me from chillin' on the forums, so you get a pass.))

((Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming))

Julius shot another rebel as the wounded were carried away. Then he saw what it seemed to be two men in senatorial robes and an army sergeant shooting the rebels with them. Upon closer inspection, the two men were... Senator Doukas and Angelos! "HALT FIRE!" Julius shouted he ran down and greeted the two men. "I'm so glad to see you guys! What has happened since i'm gone and what's the current situation."
((fyi none of my characters are Theodora Doukas. They're Ioannes Dalassenos and John-Loukas Picardie. Neither are senators.))

((To be totally honest, I have no idea what's going on either. I'm still wondering how the Great Chain worked, if one needs to raise it to block a submarine.))

((To be totally honest, I have no idea what's going on either. I'm still wondering how the Great Chain worked, if one needs to raise it to block a submarine.))
((It's just a giant chain strung across the harbor, intended to block ships, but lately it was modified to carry a net that would also block submarines.))

Ioannes recognized Senator Marco and shook his hands. "The rebel scum have attacked Constantinople, sent the Emperor into hiding and possibly killed him, and set up a communist regime. The Scholai Palatinae is nowhere to be found, and Blachernae and much of the city is under rebel control. Senator Doukas is off fighting her brother, who has been brainwashed by the rebels and forced to serve them. The man in the Legion Air Corps uniform is Commander John-Loukas Picardie, who commanded the Empress Veronica when it went down over rebel-occupied territory several weeks ago. The man in the German-style uniform with the Angeloi crest on it is Markos Angelos. You probably know him, but he's not here to take over the Empire. He's going to help us retake Blachernae and destroy the rebel headquarters there. You guys might be helpful. Would you care to join us?"

((Thessaloniki))

"TIE 1, you are clear for takeoff," said the base commander.

Colonel Alexios Komnenos saluted. "God save the Emperor," he said, "Now let's go kill some rebel scum!"

He turned his key, and his biplane sputtered to life, followed by the other eleven planes behind him. The squadron taxied down the runway before accelerating and soaring into the skies, heading towards the smoke trails rising up from Constantinople.

((The waters off the coast of Thessaloniki))

The sub had surfaced briefly to give the crew a break. Hairini, Nestorius, and a few other senators were lounging on the deck, relaxing after what they had gone through in the capital.

Just when she was about to doze off, Hairini heard a humming noise in the distance. That was weird, because the crew had not sighted any ships in the immediate vicinity.

She glanced up at the sky and saw twelve small dots flying across the sea in the distance, heading in the opposite direction. Little did she know that the imperial legions were beginning to retake Constantinople...

(( Have you put thought to what TIE stands for in this story, or should the rest of us toss out backronyms? ))

(( Have you put thought to what TIE stands for in this story, or should the rest of us toss out backronyms? ))
((Nah, feel free to make some up))

((fyi none of my characters are Theodora Doukas. They're Ioannes Dalassenos and John-Loukas Picardie. Neither are senators.))
((Bloody hell I've missed a loto_O Btw HOI4 IS OUT! AWWWWW YEAH!))

Ioannes recognized Senator Marco and shook his hands. "The rebel scum have attacked Constantinople, sent the Emperor into hiding and possibly killed him, and set up a communist regime. The Scholai Palatinae is nowhere to be found, and Blachernae and much of the city is under rebel control. Senator Doukas is off fighting her brother, who has been brainwashed by the rebels and forced to serve them. The man in the Legion Air Corps uniform is Commander John-Loukas Picardie, who commanded the Empress Veronica when it went down over rebel-occupied territory several weeks ago. The man in the German-style uniform with the Angeloi crest on it is Markos Angelos. You probably know him, but he's not here to take over the Empire. He's going to help us retake Blachernae and destroy the rebel headquarters there. You guys might be helpful. Would you care to join us?"
"It would be my utmost pleasure," Marco grinned. "MEN! Pack your bags and equipment we're going with the senators here!"
Julius wrote a little note and stuck on his house's front door.
Sarah, I've met up with General Ioannes and John- Loukas. I've let two of my men guard you and a radio. Call me if there's trouble.
Love, Marco :)

"Alright gentlemen," Julius said. "were to?"

((BTW won't be able to comment tomorrow and tonight. I'm going to GERMANY OH JA JA JA))

Last edited: