• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In that case, give us meritocracy!

There is a lot going on ... the situation in Britain, Greece, and North Ameica is all very interesting indeed.

State Capitalism, the best way for an Emperor to enrich both himself and his people.

:)
Io Saturnalia everyone! (Or is it Dia del Sol Invictus?)
I actually just watched a video about Saturnalia!:p This video in particular.

But yeah I don’t think the Khitan would be bringing back any Ancient Roman holidays. Through I’m wondering how much of a cultural mark does the old Eastern Roman Empire have on the Hellenic Republic?

Also how are the cites of Anthens and Constantinople doing since those are very prestigious cites for them? I’m also kind of wondering what would be the most opulent cites in Europe in TTL culturally? Also would this timeline have a Morzart, Bethoven, or other musical geniuses in the late 18th Century?

Sooooo..... Reactionary party to modernize the country? :eek:

Chapter 5: 'Som I Serem'
Chapter 5: 'Som I Serem'
BFJK68-f6d2345.jpg

With the upper levels of Khitan government in Turmoil, War between Greece and Persia once again approaching quickly and Bohemian and to a lesser extent Italian and British Industry establishing themselves as economic bedrock in europe the remaining corner of Europe, Iberia had been somewhat overlooked.

In Granada and Portugal unrest had continued to simmer for years since the continental wars. Like Britain the Region was both culturally isolated and diverse within itself. The Pyrenee Mountains served as an effective divider between Iberian Peoples and the French descended peoples to the North while the Atlantic and Mediterranean had kept Italian, British and North African influences at bay for centuries.

In Portugal proper the divide was mainly religious, as Portuguese people overwhelmingly christian and Leonese and Castilian Peoples were overwhelmingly Zunist. In Granada however there was a steep ethnic divide between the Dominant Castilian Core population and the various other minorities of the country. The Basques in Northern Iberia were older, isolated and poorly integrated into a sense of Iberian identity, The Catalonians along the Eastern coast of Hispania had a different issue, having cultural ties to the Romance speaking peoples to the North. The Remaining Andalusian population in Southern Spain was the closest integrated of the three minorities but held a deep set resentment over the failure of the Kingdom of Andalusia and its recreation as the Castilian-Andalusian Kingdom of Granada.

Economic Hard Times, Competition with Italy and Portugal and the failure of her colonial Empire looming Granada had looked increasingly weaker to many of these peoples who had previously claimed states of thier own in the recent past, Primarily Catalonia and Navarre whos peoples still considered themselves unfairly subjugated and abandoned by the Powers that be.

OUNhdIQ.png

In 1848 these Tensions came to a head with Riots and Later armed revolts taking place across Barcelona and Valencia. After several failures to quell such uprisings by the Granadan Military the rebels had organized and spread influence across the region, inspiring copycat revolutions in catalonia and Andalucia. In little over a Year the Country that was Granada was breaking apart dramatically and an intervention was sorely needed.

eb1T2OS.png

Unfortunately for the Spanish, intervention from the Italians and Greeks soon became an impossibility as War had once again broken out in the Adriatic and Middle East this time over Bagdad and Mosul, two important cities within the Fertile Crescent. The Khitan Empire which was under restructuring under Emperor Arthur at the time did not involve itself in the war directly, sending economic aid and volunteers to Scandinavia to fight on the Northern Front until the Government could properly be organized.

With little help expected to come from the Great Powers, Granada needed to ask the Kingdom of Portugal to Intervene and crush a potentially dangerous Basque and Andalucian Uprising, the Kingdom of Portugal obliged but ultimately would do nothing to stop the Catalan Revolt as the rebels had become well entrenched and were now gaining legitimacy in the form of backing from the Kingdom of Occitania to the North.

XlHYw3C.png

Back in the North, Emperor Arthur's restructuring of Government had ultimately resulted in the collapse of the Liberal Ideal at least on an organizational level within the country. With Many of its leadership in Jail, exiled or discredited the bulk of the Liberal Front had been surgically removed leaving only the Economic Wing of the party, backed primarily by wealthy capitalists and aristocrats while the more radical elements ultimately would reform as a new, underground movement.

Qp6tF6m.png

The Failure of Liberal Ideology across Europe had ultimately split the Revolutionary Ideal in two along similar lines that had happened in Greece. On the Moderate Side were the so called 'Coffee House' Liberals who believed in the virtues of recognized and legally protected rights, suffrage and economic freedoms.

On the more Radical end were the Anarchists who believed a total collapse the Established Order in Europe was ultimately necessary for true freedom to be established for the people. Only from a violent revolution could a true government for and by the people be established, molded by the ash of the old systems consumed in the flame.

For the moderates that had ultimately been a good thing in terms of seeing their interests considered as they were now divorced from radical concepts such as the abolition of monarchy and the liquidation of church land. Though it would mean that without the radical wing of the party the ideology and its ultimately representatives would be rich proto-oligarchs who were mainly interested in the potential profits greater economic freedom bestowed, and less interested in the social freedoms that came with such a line of thought.

973tNu7.png

In terms of Actual economic progress, Emperor Arthur's first steps would be the Establishment of the RRICC, Or Royal Rail, Investment and Construction Company. A Government body dedicated to the subsidizing, advancement and construction of the new breathtaking railway technology that was linking American and Bohemian cities together and significantly shortening travel times. The Expense was utterly massive though Arthur justified, citing the Historical use of Roads in the Khitan and Roman Empires of old as an economic and military force multiplier.

What was unpopular was that the RRICC would have full authority to seize lands needed for construction without consent of the property owner or compensation. Similarly, the RRICC and its heads would abuse such powers to ensure all possible viable railway lines would be claimed by the Company giving itself a monopoly on railway construction throughout much of Khitan Europe, potentially stifling private railroad growth within the country. Private interests would ultimately need to try and tap foreign markets or colonial endeavors.

fmiR11Y.png

The Next step in pulling the Economy into the Modern Era would be the solution to what was being called the Labor bottleneck. Much of the Khitan Population ultimately was still restricted to rural locations while even in more urban areas artisan and merchant work was still very profitable in contrast to factory labor which was considered tedious, poorly rewarding and ultimately pointless when better options existed. For the well to do merchant and intellectual classes in the cities factories did exist but there was very little reason to ultimately downgrade and so labour primarily came from excess population growth across the Empire and immigration, of which the Khitan empire received very little.

In hopes of attracting Further factory positions, Arthur announces government incentives for key Military and economic industries mainly in the form of subsidies so that existing factories could afford to hire and employ workers at a loss and still profit due to government incentives. Again the issue had been seen my many as open for corruption and incentivized favoritism based on government opinion rather than that of the market.

1ydV5A0.png

In the Realm of Technology the Danzig Precision Milling Device, famous for enabling the construction of more advanced factories in Bohemia had been reverse engineered by several Khitan and French companies at long last, enabling modern factory machines to be built in country rather than from Bohemian manufacturers, A Massive improvement over the current status quo.

qskSH7j.png

Amidst this growth of course the Scandinavian Empire remained at war with the Empire of Persia ultimately overcommitted on its campaigns into Siberia and Russia. As a Result the Government made preparations to declare bankruptcy at war's end due to the expected interest of Loans predominantly from her allies to fight the Persians. As a Result the Scandinavian Republic tried to first claim the default would ultimately result in no further payments from the government, Emperor Arthur simply found this unacceptable and demanded the Scandinavian shares in the Holstein Canal as well as granting access to Khitan investment in the Scandinavian economy giving access to the vast Iron and Tungsten reserves within the country to Khitan capitalists.

YFvfq7n.png

Meanwhile in Spain the Catalan revolution had finally won their independence with the Treaty of Sevilla. Recognized by both Portugal and Granada the new State of Catalonia had become the third free state on the peninsula since the dissolution of the principality of Navarra. With the Basque and Andalucian rebels put down by the Joint Granadan-Portuguese forces things had once again returned to a semblance of peace. The Khitan Empire however was unwilling to allow another Great power a foothold into Iberia and so was the first to recognize the new Republic of Catalonia as a state and send military and economic backing to the new Minor power in order to keep Nations such as the Hellenic Republic and the Kingdom of Italy from gaining an ally on a crucial geographic region of europe.
6IJiIHS.png

While Emperor Arthur focused on reforming the Economy along his guidelines and modernizing the country the military had been freed to rebuild with greater funding and backing. As the Enforcement arm of the Khitan Empire the military was more essential than ever to ensure the Colonies and various partners of the Empire were well protected as well as the Home Country against other great powers. The Widespread adoption of new muzzle loading rifles over muskets were the first major reforms since the continental war to ultimately stick and would set the course that much of Khitan military advancement would be done through technology first and on a doctrine level second.

With a new Focus on the Military and economic reforms sweeping the country the hemorrhaging of international prestige suddenly stopped. While still Behind the Bohemians in Industrial Might the reformed Khitan military ultimately allowed for many nations the world over the recognize the Khitan Empire as the premier world power yet again.​
ifVdVhj.png

The Emperor Intervention had Saved the Khitan Empire but still relied heavily upon her military and international Prestige. In the Coming decades ultimately the Fate of Europe would be decided not through the size of ones military or international recognition but through sheer economic power.​

main-qimg-82692819aa2340b63242ca91c87e8e23

The Realization had occurred to many across Europe. A War was about to be fought not on the fields of battle but in the Mills, Assembly Yards and manufactories across the world.

A bit Late, Mostly becuase the Update was late coming, but Belated Happy Holidays to Everyone, and A Happy New Year.

Greece may have finally lost a war, but it's still a powerhouse to be reckoned with. I think they'll survive very long, unless Dragoon has something up his sleeve.

Greece is Fine, they have the territory to survive several setbacks without thier actual core being threatened. Its a fairly resilient Region in Mega Campaigns for some reason, Which you wouldn't think so considering how the real life Empire that spanned greece and Anatolia ended up by the end of this century...

Poor Ireland being eaten by Britain yet again. They can´t escape this fate no matter what timeline it is.:(

Also those American Pan Nationalists might lead to some interesting events and a freedom loving empire in the future.:D

And of course Bohemia is going very strong, through it will have some problems with its many ethnic and cultural groups in the future like Austria-Hungary.

All I want for Christmas is a Pan-American Empire that will be the arsenal of Monarchy come HOI4

Well California and America are certainly going to Try, Only time will tell if they decide to co-exist once Louisiana gives out its final death throes or decide that there can only be one left standing.

That last line has me excited. The Emperor is going to modernize hie empire, even if he has to drag Cathay kicking and screaming behind him.

State Capitalism, the best way for an Emperor to enrich both himself and his people.

Sooooo..... Reactionary party to modernize the country? :eek:

While the Game tells me reactionary it also gives me better tools than modernize the country than the Capitalists do for no real downside. Victoria II is a great game, but ultimately absolute monarchies are treated as sort of a transition to the actual governments your sort of expected to play after a while. As a Result you get weirdness like Reactionaries being better able to modernize a country than a Liberal of Conservative party. I'm choosing to Play it off as the Reactionary council properly gives Control of the State back to the Emperor and the Emperor can do what he likes.

What the Emperor Likes is to not see his Legacy ripped apart by ineffectual leadership and economic stagnation in the Face of a resurgent Bohemia and Italy. If he profits from his policies in the meantime and people who werent really loyal to him in the end are upset, well thats just icing on the cake.

In spirit of the holidays today, what would the major Khitan and Zunist Hoildays that replace the Christian hoilydays (Christmas, Valentines, etc) be and what traditions would go with them @dragoon9105 ?

Io Saturnalia everyone! (Or is it Dia del Sol Invictus?)

:)
I actually just watched a video about Saturnalia!:p This video in particular.

But yeah I don’t think the Khitan would be bringing back any Ancient Roman holidays. Through I’m wondering how much of a cultural mark does the old Eastern Roman Empire have on the Hellenic Republic?

Also how are the cites of Anthens and Constantinople doing since those are very prestigious cites for them? I’m also kind of wondering what would be the most opulent cites in Europe in TTL culturally? Also would this timeline have a Morzart, Bethoven, or other musical geniuses in the late 18th Century?

Not Saturnalia, but not Christmas Either. The Focus on the Sun in Zunist Religion would be like how Christmas sort of absorbed all the various winter festivals across much of europe over time a similar thing is happening in TTL with the Winter Solstice on the 21st. The Syncretic Nature of the Religious however would mean it would vary wildly across Europe and America and even regions of the Empire. Though the Recognized version of the Holiday would involve gift giving during the day while the sun is still out and involve a feast after the Sun Goes down honoring Zun and his many aspects.

I imagine traditions such as Christmas Trees are just now leaving Germany what with increased social mobility and immigration and will likely occupy a similar place in the Winter Solstice Festival on the 21st. When Corporate culture arrives in full force in the 1900's The Holidays across the entire zunist world will likely become far more hegemonized and to some extent even arrive in places like Japan or India.

As for Athens and Constantinople, They are thriving metropolises and the most populous cities in Eastern Europe south of the Carpathians pretty much. In terms of Famous composers, Yes of course they are doing their work, but likely not in Vienna which is a backwater in TTL. Its likely Venice is the location where much of the Romantic and Classics cultural revolutions are happening, All the right elements are there and the Italians would happily welcome anything to increase their prestige across the world and encourage it. Bohemia is too militarized and the other Great Powers of the world are more busy building Colonial Empires or fighting conflicts abroad to truly serve as a home for the movement.

And as the competition shifts somewhat from the battlfield to the factory floor and budget book, it becomes yet more vicious.

Cathay has over double the military score to their closest competitor, but their industrialization leaves something to be desired.

I wonder what German nationalism will be like here since the Germans used to have a unified kingdom back in EU4 and are currently split amongst the great powers of Italy, Bohemia and Cathay, kind of like OTL’s Poland ironically.

Same question goes for how Chinnese nationalism could develop since they are broken up into either Japanese/Khitan control, or are divided amongst many states?

What is the culture of California like with its Japanese/Chinnese culture mixed together? Probably something very distinct from their Asian origins of Japan and China.

Also how is Australia doing with it spilt between Persian and Khitan colonies?

The Republic of Catalonia probably won't amount to much, but they're an interesting feature on the map. It's amusing how varied your allies are in order to keep your rivals from gaining an advantage over you.

While the Game tells me reactionary it also gives me better tools than modernize the country than the Capitalists do for no real downside. Victoria II is a great game, but ultimately absolute monarchies are treated as sort of a transition to the actual governments your sort of expected to play after a while. As a Result you get weirdness like Reactionaries being better able to modernize a country than a Liberal of Conservative party. I'm choosing to Play it off as the Reactionary council properly gives Control of the State back to the Emperor and the Emperor can do what he likes.
That's part of why I enjoy playing the U.S. so much in Victoria II. Without the economic control you get as a Reactionary Monarchy, you feel so much more like you are riding a tiger that you can only give vague suggestions too. I imagine that it's a lot less fun when you are a smaller Republic without the resources to let the AI be dumb, but I really like that feeling of being only a little in control of your nation.

I suppose that the way Victoria 2 represents reactionaries is actually Monarchists; there's a difference. Reactionaries believe in rolling back reforms while Monarchists support the agenda of the monarch. While true reactionaries would balk at the reforms of Arthur Monarchists would support them.