• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll take a crack at these:

1) Cathal is the best heir. As a mere seven-year-old, he still has nine "stat pluses" left before he reaches maturity, and he is already more fit than his uncles. Constantine has the best Intrigue but is worthless as an administrator and diplomat (and is old and unlikely to beget much in the way of children), Aed will be a terrible leader of the army and rotten at finances, and Toirrdelbach's Diplomacy score might as well not even be there. Aedh and Diarmaitt don't even bear mentioning.

2) Conchobar has a son in his minority, so he can send him to Venice as a fosterling. With a little luck, Cathal will be elected Doge of Venice, and with the proper inheritance laws in Connacht, he will also inherit that land upon Conchobar's unfortunate passing. Domnall's sons are all adults and do not qualify for fostering.

3) Because Venice smells funny.

4) As an Elective land, the succession is Aedh, Tiorrdelbach, Constantin, Cathal, Aed, Diarmait.

5) Because prestige can be grossly manipulated and you can wind up with some backwaters count who got lucky having 10,000 prestige and winning the election over a clearly-more-powerful vassal. Maybe?

Cheers.

My turn:

1) I agree with others that Cathal is better than all the others. Obviously, the two primogeniture laws would secure his role as heir appearant.

2) Conchobar has several advantages over Domnall. First, he could send Cathal as a fosterling to Venice, then secure his election as Doge, although this could more accurately be called Venice inheriting Connacht (see below). If Conchobar's interests are more martial in nature, then he could wage war against Venice without worrying that his nonexistant liege lord will make peace for a pitance.

3) Genoa and Bologna are equal to Duchies or Counties. Venice is technically a kingdom and would subsume Connacht even if it was conquered through force.

4) Connacht is elective. First is the King of Sligo, then the King's Marshall, the Master of Intrigue, the Youngling, the Chancellor, and the Steward.

5) Because prestige could be easily abused by those undeserving of it.

1. Who is the best heir for Conchobar to select? How can he most easily ensure that heir's inheritance?
Diarmait. Deus lo vult. By killing the others.

2. Why is it easier for Conchobar to annex Venice than it is for Domnall Mor? How would he go about it?
The patricians like him more. And furthermore, he is ugly.

3. Why is it a better idea for Connacht to annex Genoa or Bologna instead?
They are closer on the map.

4. What is the current order of succession in Connacht?
It is as it is destined to be. Always expect the unexpected.

5. Unless a single lord controls more than half a realm, why doesn't election use simply use prestige?
For the heart of a man matters more than the glory of his deeds.

@Mr. Lenin: Certainly, enrollment remains open throughout the length of the course. Just copy someone's notes (not Mr. Wald's) and leave some thoughts on the questions under discussion so far.

Also... I'm loath to mention it, but the bursar informs me that the church is quite adamant that, give the likelihood that you will use the lessons provided here to foment godless revolution, you are ineligible for their financial aid and will have to pay your own way. You can leave your first cow in the faculty lot sometime this week, or talk to the Student Union about some sort of work-study programme.

Thank you for your diligence and quick response. I shall study my comrades notes with the most thorough vigor. As to the matter of tuition and fees, I feel i must lodge a formal complaint against the bursar and the administration in general. Clearly their policies are but a front designed to impede to intellectual growth of the proletariat and thereby monopolize their unjust grip on power. Accordingly, it would be inappropriate to make contributions of material or labor that would serve the ends of the oppression of the working classes. Thus I hope that payment in the form of promissory note will be acceptable.

As a side note, you might find it interesting to learn that the Student Union is currently entering a period of reorganiztion following several 'recommendations' of mine as to matters concerning procedure and ideological correctness. On behalf of the Majority group, I apologize to all affected at this time but guarantee that normal functions shall resume shortly. Now to the assignment at hand.

1. Aed is the best heir. His gross inadequacies as both a leader and human being mean that his regime will be weak and ineffective, thus accelerating the historic inevitability of the collapse of the imperialist system in Connacht. Plus his tendencies towards mercy will mean that the people's revolutionaries may act with little fear of reprisal.

2. It would be inappropriate to assist in the brutal take over of Venice, decadent capitalists though they be, by a foreign aggressor.

3. Connacht shouldn't engage in any acts of imperialist aggression. That being said, Genoa and Bologna are much more vulnerable than Venice. And since they are unfortunate enough to share names with deli meat, it is doubtful that anyone in the international community should notice or care that Connacht had "conquered the Bolognese."

4. Following Conchobar there is approximately eight more centuries of monarchist rule, gradually giving way to an capitialist oligarchy which operates under the trappings of democratic institutions. That shall inevitably give way to revolution and the rule of the proletariat certainly no later than the end of the XXth Century. I'm positive on this.

5. Because in Feudalism it's your Counts that vote.

I'm not really sure what this is, but it needs to win a price.

UniBologna.png

[size=+2]Departmental Memo[/size]

[size=+1]Date[/size]: 1188, Kingsday

[size=+1]Ad[/size]: Assistante Abduliso Avenvalid
[size=+1]De[/size]: Professore Leolino da Galles
[size=+1]Re[/size]: CRUS101, first week​

I'm not sure if you've met Jorge, the scribe responsible for creating the annual ledgers. He's a ... well, a bit of a character. He's the one to thank for our archives being in the form of a labyrinth and the generally poor quality of our illuminatory work. Beat one of the novices half to death last year for including a gryllus in the Protevangelion of James. All our best artists scattered to the winds and Paris.

(I'm fairly sure he's the one who squirreled away your copy of the Philosopher's thoughts on poetics. Come over tonight at vespers — we can see if it's in his cell during the lection; but if it's not still there, we're probably never going to see it again. Try to think of any main points you remember and write them out for me, if you can.)

Anyway, I also bring it up because you will find that the prefatory material in the ledgers omits a number of types of states — sc, sovereign bishoprics and military orders, republics and also lands held by the pagans. They (the ledgers) are supposed to be a guide to "all the realms of the world:" Jorge objects to inclusion of the first two as being not of this world, and the second pair as illegitimate authorities unrecognized by God or man.

He's no slouch — all the important people, tax receipts, etc, are noted in full in the body of the ledger, — but if you want to be able to find them easily and use the material on those realms yourself, you'll need to include some margin notes.

First, again, consult your list of ISO-designated realm codes. For the sake of example, let us use C352: Bologna.

You don't need to worry about order. Just include it right near the top of the list for easy consultation.

Now, there's some filler that you need to include (ruler's gender; realm type; PIN; territory), but it is only filler — it doesn't much matter what you put into it. Gender should be easy enough (male or female), likewise realm type (kingdom, for easier searching; or duchy or county for proper placement ia.) The PIN just needs to be 14 digits long, so 12345678912345 works fine and ensures you won't forget a number somewhere. The territories held doesn't need to be accurate or complete: just copy the original tag.

Republicans.png

Like so.

Remember. Vespers. lly.​

Last edited:
@Master Cowles: Welcome!
@Mr. Lenin: Your promissory note will be quite unnecessary. In fact, if you are able to avoid expulsion for the entire length of the course, you may even have the privilege of being able to lodge in the new dormitory your father has very graciously endowed to the school. He also says to write your mother. She's worried sick about you.
@Mr. Wald: Yes, although it's quite easy to remember and barely matters if you flip the pages fast enough.

@1a: Master Cowles, Mr. Walker, Mr. Berry, quite right, although it is important to note that exceptional children have quite a tendency to slack off as they reach their late teens.
@1b: Mr. Berry, altering the law to hereditary succession would work, but especially in large kingdoms, it is a quite unwieldy and heavy-handed way to go about things. Further, if Cathal were to go through a rebellious phase like Mr. Lenin here, hereditary succession makes it far more difficult to have one of the uncles inherit. Why is Cathal sure to inherit in preference to Count Aed through being granted a single province, even an impoverished one?
@2: Mr. Walker, Mr. Berry, very good! Mr. Lenin, your response makes me uncertain whether you quite understand the point of this class...
@3: I can see Mr. Berry will go far (although, yes, Venician women do tend towards reeking.)
@4: Any thoughts on why the correct order is Aed the Count, Diarmait, Constantin, Toirdelbach, Cathal, and Aed the Inept Chancellor?
@5: Mr. Wald, you have the heart of a poet. Please return it to the anatomy professor by None.

UniBologna.png

[size=+2]Departmental Memo[/size]

[size=+1]Date[/size]: 1188, Kingsday

[size=+1]Ad[/size]: Professore Leolino da Galles
[size=+1]De[/size]: Wilelm Scearramann
[size=+1]Re[/size]: CRUS101, first week​

My most sincere apologies for my late arrival. I was originally directed by a confused young secretary to the room in which GROF 301 was being taught. Rest assured that the misunderstanding will not occur again in the future.

As I have missed three separate sets of review questions, I feel compelled to ask how my final pass/fail grade might be affected. Are we to expect many more such opportunities to influence our scores in the future? If not, I may need to drop this course.

One further question: a number of my professors have betrayed an intense distrust in certain references on the basis of suspect reliability, despite scholarly works suggesting the contrary. Will user-edited sources be considered acceptable for our work in this course, provided we cite valid primary sources as well?

dub.

@Mr. Ladislav: Welcome.
@Mr. Blish: I'm not sure where you got that school letterhead from, son, but you had better return any other copies to the dean's office immediately. Forgery is still a capital crime here.

@All: Apologies for my absence on Fastday. One of my colleagues is publishing a new text De tertiis cordibus ferri and I was called away unavoidably. Class should meet tomorrow as scheduled.

@4: Any thoughts on why the correct order is Aed the Count, Diarmait, Constantin, Toirdelbach, Cathal, and Aed the Inept Chancellor?

None whatsoever. :confused: Diarmait has no titles, no prestige, no ability. He is full of lose and fail. Why would he be second in line?

Cheers.

None whatsoever. :confused: Diarmait has no titles, no prestige, no ability. He is full of lose and fail. Why would he be second in line?

Cheers.
His base martial has to be decent. It's probably good. He's inbred (-5 to everything IIRC), and Clubfooted (-2 IIRC). Which makes his base Martial 9. Constantin and Toirdelbach have decent combined scores, but they've also got Martial Education traits and no bad traits. Their base is more like 7-8.

Nick

@Mr. B: Correct.

Technically, it is because of the Christians-with-Disabilities handicapping implemented under Dei ioculi, but what is important for royal, ducal and countal electors is God's view of the candidates' martial ability, before it is impaired by deformity or improved by education.

Diarmait, Constantin, Toirdelbach all possess a raw martial ability of 8 before any bonuses or maluses. As to why they should end in precisely that order (or why the order changes to Toirdelbach, Constantin, Diarmait if Diarmait's raw martial ability is reduced by editing or event,) that is currently a mystery and a research project subject.

Last edited:
[size=+4]Lesson Four[/size][size=+2]:
Legalities[/size]

[size=+1]"The King raised up two sons of Adam
over the vast peoples:
Abel and Cain
with their strong children.

The King bestowed the world
with its good things upon mankind;
he was favorable to Abel for a long time
and unfavorable to Cain."
The Psalter of Quatrains.[/size]

[size=+1]Genetics[/size]:
The beginning of this lecture will serve to establish the reasoning behind the more practical second half. As it will be concerned with sex, however, those of you who are adolescent or exceptionally chaste or lustful are welcome to wait in the student lounge with Alys and the other women. Those participating via correspondence are likewise welcome to skip ahead to the next section.

Genetics is the study of the origins of life, and while it is customarily most concerned with animal husbandry, it has applications in government and law as well, particularly those laws governing probate and succession.

The Authorities tell us (and investigation at the Salernitan Medical School confirms) women have all the same parts as men, only inside rather than outside. Thus, scientists have long followed Hippocrates and Galen in their supposition that children are formed by the mixing of male and female semen during coitus. Women's hidden testes are drier, colder, and less developed than men's, and so they taught the female seed forms undigested and incomplete. While insisting upon the existence and contribution of female semen to conception, the Hippocratic school was thus forced to concede that — even if such sperm exists — it serves principally as food for the male, except in the cases of the weakest and most effeminate children.

The Philosopher's De generatione animalium has long been known to oppose this view, but it was not until this decade that cutting-edge research at SMS finally secured a Latin translation of the original. (This is a must-have for any modern library, and available from the University scriptorium with or without our school's famed illuminations.)

In this text, the Philosopher explains how his close and careful examinations of the natural world have established a number of flaws in the Hippocratic model. In the first place, female sexual excretions are not produced from their cryptorchid testicles. They flow instead from hidden sweat glands, seeking to remain cool and dry in the presence of close masculine force. Second, he proves that children are formed not out of a tissue of a residual coital slime, but from a slow coägulation of the stomach's menstrual blood in the uterus. Galen's report that the fetus consumes the menstruum as its nourishment is rejected as untenable, given the separate presence and source of the umbilical cord. Last and most damning, he clearly shows how a model allowing women as fully complete men capable of the emission of generative seed inevitably allows virgin birth not as a singular miracle but (horribile dictu) as a natural and common occurrence in exceptionally sanguine women. For if the only distinction to be made between men and women or between their respective seed is the heat of the refining fire, then natural variation of the species must allow that some most excellent women — particularly in the act of coitus — approach or surpass the most infirm and choleric men. The ability of the latter to breed then tends to support the ability in the former. Such a doctrine allows that virgin births should have occurred innumerable times in the past, should occur even now, should continue to occur innumerable times again until the Day of Judgment. Inter alia, the consequences of this pernicious mistake touching the Holy Mother are too terrific to contemplate.

Victory in this rivalry must finally be granted to the Philosopher, whose conception — that the male seed imparts the vitality and form but not the material of the child to come — comports not only with observable facts but also with Holy Writ and the Incarnation.

[size=+1]The Lex Salica[/size]:
The effect of such learning upon the laws of inheritance should be obvious.

All men living derive their form from one of the sons of Noah Hen, but agnates share one another's form much more closely. Regardless of their name or station, they are one's true dynasty. Therefore, the wise king should always favor succession exclusively through his male relatives, however distant. The earliest Romans, being closest to true philosophy, followed just this practice, which they described as agnatic. It is now (less felicitously) known as Salic succession, after Pope St. Damian's imperfect understanding of Frankish law (and also political considerations, v.i.)

As codified in Title LIX of King Clovis's Lex Salica, it was customary for the Salians to exclude women from their inheritance of ancestral land and to exclude daughters from any inheritance whatsoever. However, this happy state of affairs lasted less than fifty years before the first King Chilperic — more concerned with his royal dignity than with the blood royal — annulled it, providing that in the absence of surviving male heirs of the body daughters and their heirs should have full rights to a patrimony. This mirrored the corruption and decadence of the Roman Republic and Empire, which saw the Galenic error grow more popular and common until it found expression in the Justinian Code's cognatic inheritance, reckoned from and to male and female alike.

Cognatic inheritance is distinct from St. Damian's Semi-Salic succession, though, since the latter bars the female from direct inheritance in her own right (or her husband's inheritance on her behalf.) Instead, St. Damian allowed inheritance only to pass through the mother to her male children, ia. Although this course of succession is defective for the reasons explained above, it remains widespread for many reasons. Under no circumstance should you ever disabuse other lords from its practice. As we will see later in this course, Semi-Salic inheritance is the surest and commonest cause of the elevation of new dynasties to high rank.

[size=+1]Gavelkind[/size]:
Partible inheritance is the division of an estate among all eligible heirs. It was the general practice of the ancient Hebrews. It remains the common practice of all mankind from the Pillars of Hercules to Alexander's Gate, utmost Thule to highest Ethiopia, and is typically the justest manner by which a man might deal with his children. Its application to the state, however, is productive of such innumerable evils that Pope St. Damian took great pains to eliminate its practice.

The first was to rechristen it. Previously, from its widespread Frankish use, it had been often designated "Salic inheritance" or "Salic patrimony" and carried a great deal of prestige. St. Damian helped end this with Ad alienos. There, he used "Salic inheritance" to mean agnatic succession, and Salic inheritance he instead calls "Gavelkind." This strange English term (whose original meaning and etymology both have no relation at all to its current use) helped render it more unfashionable on the Continent and among the British.

It was also made more unworkable by appeal to divine guidance. Whereas previously, all sons inherited together directly or by representation, Ad alienos provided that deceased heirs were to be considered condemned of God. Their descendants were barred from any share of inheritance prior to the extinction of all preceding classes of heirs. At each tier (in order: sons and each generation of their descendants, fathers and each generation of their descendants, grandfathers and each generation of their descendants, &c,) a single survivor meant a completely unitary succession. Likewise, although previously heirs might divide up the land in council together or the youngest heir might divide the land while his elders chose among the parcels, Ad alienos provided that the eldest surviving heir should always receive the primary title. After that, the titles are granted in turn. The actual lands are divided into parcels by the appropriate bishop or archbishops and lots drawn for each. This division and distribution is made without regard to any ducal or royal titles, adjoining property, or contiguity.

Finally, the papacy has worked actively against practitioners of gavelkind. On the death of Henry III, Pope St. Damian refused outright to recognize further kingdoms within France and Germany. He assisted the Capetian kings in erecting their appanage system. France's conquest of Saxon England was supported, as was the later Anglo-French conquest of Ireland, until at the present day it remains in force only in regions lost to the Eastern Heresy: Bosnia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Ruthenia. Similarly, gavelkind inheritance was previously the sole method of succession among the Mahometans, whose heresiarch specially provided for it among his writings. Their taste for fratricide and civil discord waning, it is now continued only by the Ayyubid Caliphate in Egypt.

[size=+1]Example[/size]:
This is the current demesne of the Ayyubid state:

Ayyubia.png

And its ruler, Saladin:

Saladin.png

(Not pictured above: Saladin's Christian relatives in Pontieu (barred from inheritance in any case.) His three deceased brothers Shahanshah, Turan Shah, and Buri. His other living brother Togtecin. His other fifteen living sons, including Zahir, Masood, Jacob, Gazi, David, and Isaac.)

[size=+1]Review Questions[/size]:
1. What approach to the coming Crusade does the information above suggest? Is it a realistic course for King Domnall to undertake?
2. What problems arise in the Aristotlean model provided above? Should they concern rulers?
3. What are some of the reasons for the continued popularity of Semi-Salic succession? Are they convincing?
4. Is there ever at any time a situation where gavelkind inheritance is in any way advisable?
5. Given the constraints imposed upon traditional custom by Ad alienos, what is the best course of action for rulers desiring to practice gavelkind effectively?

[size=+1]Extra Credit Research Projects[/size]:
1. The clergy claim to divide lands randomly and at first blush appear to do so. However, repeated divisions seem to follow similar patterns. Is there perhaps a method to the higgledy-piggledy? If so, what?
2. Inexplicably, salic (but not semisalic) gavelkind works in the manner described above for sons, but not for grandsons or any other descendants. Instead, the children, grandchildren, &c, of the oldest son stand to inherit everything until their extinction, in which case the children of the other sons inherit under normal gavelkind. Why on earth does this happen?​

Last edited:
3. What are some of the reasons for the continued popularity of Semi-Salic succession? Are they convincing?

Minor nobles want to rise in the hierarchy through those means.

4. Is there ever at any time a situation where gavelkind inheritance is in any way advisable?

When there is only one son, or if the Empire is so huge that for the good of everyone it should be partitioned.

5. Given the constraints imposed upon traditional custom by Ad alienos, what is the best course of action for rulers desiring to practice gavelkind effectively?

If you kill those who complain, then there shall be also no complainants.

Semi-salic succession can be useful if you want your inheritence to go through a woman for some reason. For example, say you have no sons. Your oldest brother, who would inherit under salic law, is completely incompetent. Your oldest daughter, who married a man bearing your dynastic name (say, a son of one of your younger brothers*), has a son who is exceedingly talented. You would prefer semi-salic law in this case, because you would be inherited by a competent grandson rather than a useless brother.

Additionally, you could then grant lands to your daughter and be relatively sure they would be inherited by your grandson in turn. This would improve your reputation while keeping the lands in the family. You could do the same thing with your brother, of course, but it's much more likely that your daughter is in your court than your brother is. You probably had more control over who your daughter married than your brother.

*With a special dispensation from Holy Mother Church of course

1. The backwardness of the Ayyubids and their insistence at clinging to Gavelkind inheritance offers opportunity for an easier expedition to the Holy Land. Once Salah ad-Din dies his realm will be divided into smaller and weaker parts. King Domnall could then declare war on the part that includes the Holy Land. A Crusade is still not a very practicable option at present, however, as the costs involved, primarily those of troop transport and maintenance, would be prohibitive. Of course, since usury is a sin, perhaps the Church might look the other way if the King were to cancel some debts that were weighing down his soul.

2. The pondering of dead thinkers should always concern rulers.

3. Semi-salic inheritance plays on romantic notions of family as, in the event that a ruler has only female children, his land and title will be passed to a direct descendant, ie one of his seed. This might seem preferable to some annoyingly bumptious country cousin, or half-brother you always resented, taking what's yours.

Given the potential it opens for possible successions it seems good to encourage others to use this system.

4. Yes, for pagans and the like who rule lands outside of Christendom. This idiotic practice makes them easier to conquer and bring to the guiding light of civilization.

Extra Credit:

2. Life is truly full of mysteries, though it is possible that the canonist inscribing the rules of Salic Gavelkind was simply careless.

1. What approach to the coming Crusade does the information above suggest? Is it a realistic course for King Domnall to undertake?

Clearly to go on Crusade would be a boon for Domnall and secure his entrance into heaven, but he should attach himself to a larger host (in other words, let John pay for everything).

2. What problems arise in the Aristotlean model provided above? Should they concern rulers?

Aristotle is wrong. Virgin Birth is a miracle provided by God and God alone. Plato is clearly the superior philosopher.

Saladin, oddly enough, provides the key to make gavelkind work. See how he has only one kingly title (Ayyubid Sultan)? That title will go to his eldest son upon his death, and all lands bound to it will go along, including the lands the other son inherits. This is key - maintain only a single ducal or kingly title, and the realm will stay united (if having somewhat bizarrely shaped vassalages).

See above.

Also, I must protest you're use of the term "French" to describe the Conquest. We are not French. The French did not gain England until that devil woman Matilda and her fairy-spawned consort invited them in and drove out Good King Stephen.

More seriously, I've come across a problem. I've tried to change a character's appearance using the 1066 characters list, but the game still uses her old appearance. What should I do?