• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Martial skill is not a ranking of personal prowess in arms but of your abilities as a general of men and an administrator of armies. It includes equal measures strategic thought, tactical thought, mastery of logistics, and personal charisma. Excellence here connotes larger than standard levies and victory on the field.
/wanders in 15 minutes late, takes a seat in the front row, mentions during the break that Martial determines the replenishment of forces while Stewardship (modifying the province income) determines the army size. Then mutters something about the oppression inherent in the system and trundles back to the Student Union to see about arming more peasants and proletariat against the parasitic schismatics, incestuous aristocracy, imperialists burghers, etc.

More seriously, I've come across a problem. I've tried to change a character's appearance using the 1066 characters list, but the game still uses her old appearance. What should I do?
What file did you modify?

If you modified the scenario file she'll look different in any new game you start, but not in any existing game. If you modified a save-game she'll look different when you load that save game, and in any subsequent saves of that game, but look the same as she always did everywhere else.

Nick

/wanders in 15 minutes late, takes a seat in the front row, mentions during the break that Martial determines the replenishment of forces while Stewardship (modifying the province income) determines the army size. Then mutters something about the oppression inherent in the system and trundles back to the Student Union to see about arming more peasants and proletariat against the parasitic schismatics, incestuous aristocracy, imperialists burghers, etc.

*nods with approval* Welcome to the Student Union!:D

What file did you modify?

If you modified the scenario file she'll look different in any new game you start, but not in any existing game. If you modified a save-game she'll look different when you load that save game, and in any subsequent saves of that game, but look the same as she always did everywhere else.

Nick

The scenario file. Nothing happened in either new games or saved games. Maybe that will be next week's lesson (I don't have Deus Vult, if that matters).

EDIT: Nevermind, it worked out in the end. Thanks.

Last edited:
It appears I must audit the first part of the course, but that's is what Donations to the University are for.

While we're waiting, you mentioned something about having to do some unusual methods to get CK to work on Vista. I have both an XP computer and a Vista computer, but only the Vista one has online access, so by necessity if I ever wanted to buy Deus Vult, I'd have to use that one. Could you clear up the exact methods to get CK (and DV) to work on Vista, since I'm a little confused by what you said?

EDIT: I should say that what I've learned here has been most useful to improving my own experiance with the game.

"How'd I get here? Where am I? ... Why is everyone wearing chainmail? Does anyone else feel cold?" *Icekommander sits down in an empty spot with a slightly daxed expression* "Does this mean god demands I go crusading? Could there be another reason, for my arrival? No clearly it was god. Time to start copying notes.

While we're waiting, you mentioned something about having to do some unusual methods to get CK to work on Vista. I have both an XP computer and a Vista computer, but only the Vista one has online access, so by necessity if I ever wanted to buy Deus Vult, I'd have to use that one. Could you clear up the exact methods to get CK (and DV) to work on Vista, since I'm a little confused by what you said?

I just installed it directly in eg. D:\Crusader Kings\, instead of the \program files\ or whatever Vista suggests by default. I tend to this with most games, i've never really liked post-3.11 Windows' ways of managing my files and documents, really.

It's worked fine so far, and only after the installation did I end up reading about problems with running it in Vista.

I just installed it directly in eg. D:\Crusader Kings\, instead of the \program files\ or whatever Vista suggests by default. I tend to this with most games, i've never really liked post-3.11 Windows' ways of managing my files and documents, really.

It's worked fine so far, and only after the installation did I end up reading about problems with running it in Vista.

Okay, interesting. What about Windows 7?