Can we get some fanatic egalitarian federation flavour stuff?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TrotBot

Banned
48 Badges
Feb 2, 2018
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
Like, setting a federation wide minimum standard of living like in the universal prosperity mandate resolution? Banning slavery too. Regardless of federation type. And maybe even a new federation type that allows resource pooling of some sort? The better off federation members contributing economically to subsidizing the less well off in some way?

• 3Like
Reactions:
I like the idea of a specifically Egalitarian federation type dedicated to spreading democracy and emancipating the pops (maybe also with special CBs against slaver empires). It would be a natural choice for the Democratic Crusader personality, for example.

A shared investment fund for federation members is something that could be part of federation law generally. I don't think it has to be Egalitarian, because it has nothing to do with the status of individual pops.

If you're going to copy individual GC resolutions over to the federation level, though (or laws that have similar effect), I think you would have to do it systematically, otherwise it would be a lot of work for not much gain (given that if your ideology dominates an entire federation, you're usually well on your way to being able to push it through at the GC level). Also, if you have three levels of law (empire, federation, GC), the mechanics of what happens when they conflict could get very messy.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I like the idea of a specifically Egalitarian federation type dedicated to spreading democracy and emancipating the pops (maybe also with special CBs against slaver empires). It would be a natural choice for the Democratic Crusader personality, for example.
And special types of CB against all sorts of such federations, too.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I wish there were a couple more federation types in general. Xenophile works thematically with Galactic Union, Materialist have Research, Authortarian has Hegemony, Militarist has whatever it’s called. This leave Pacifist, Egalitarian, Spiritualist, and Xenophobe without a fed type. (Pacifist can probably overlap with Galactic Union, so it’s a lower priority IMO—though I’d still like to see it. I don’t think Xenophobes need one.)

So I would really like to see your suggestion, as well as more fed types in general.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Egalitarian and spiritual are in most need of a federation type. Pacifist is a general ethics that works with all federations.

Egalitarians getting a CB on authoritarians and getting some sort of bonus for guaranteeing the independence of other egalitarian Empires would be great.

Spiritual federations would probably centre around preventing the spread of robots and shifting pop ethics to spiritual. Maybe a special federation interaction with the shroud.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Egalitarian and spiritual are in most need of a federation type. Pacifist is a general ethics that works with all federations.

Egalitarians getting a CB on authoritarians and getting some sort of bonus for guaranteeing the independence of other egalitarian Empires would be great.

Spiritual federations would probably centre around preventing the spread of robots and shifting pop ethics to spiritual. Maybe a special federation interaction with the shroud.
Spiritualists would produce a lot of unity fast for sure, and yeah some more federation events with the shroud would be awesome! And then you can depending on the authority types even end up with a god emperor of a federation haha.

But yeah I just want more ethics stuff. And more liberation wars.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wish there were a couple more federation types in general. Xenophile works thematically with Galactic Union, Materialist have Research, Authortarian has Hegemony, Militarist has whatever it’s called. This leave Pacifist, Egalitarian, Spiritualist, and Xenophobe without a fed type. (Pacifist can probably overlap with Galactic Union, so it’s a lower priority IMO—though I’d still like to see it. I don’t think Xenophobes need one.)

So I would really like to see your suggestion, as well as more fed types in general.

TBH, Galactic Union is a joke. Most of the perks you unlock are useless placeholders ( + flat unity...) and is just a generic crappy fed existing for ethics the devs seems to "dislike" for they always cripple them, nerf them, while they massively boost materialism.

So, Spiritualists and Hiveminds have to play with the GU crappy fed. This is even worse for Hives, because they don't have secondary ethic to unlock others Feds type.

Xenophobic ethics is converted by Hegemony Federation, I think.

IMHO, Federation is a really disappointing DLC, in a sense that it seems just unfinished, with too few fed types, crappy placeholders bonus for GU. As for the Galactic Council, the fédérations don't create that much narrative and engaging mechanic. Lots of modifiers on top of modifiers, you just wait for a XP slider to fill up to grab new modifiers...

And once in a while you get 5 lines pop up about some naval joint exercice (which don't exist IG, just text) or monument building project. Quite boring

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Spiritual federations would probably centre around preventing the spread of robots and shifting pop ethics to spiritual.
I like the idea of a fanatic spiritualist "Luddic League" that's vehemently opposed to robots. They could get
  1. A "Sanctification" Total war CB against MIs(FEs+regulars) & synth ascended empires.
  2. A "Silicon Jihad" CB to free bio pops Vs DAs & Stage 1 synth ascended empires (cyborgs), that will forcibly strip the pops of their cybernetic trait & liberate any Biopops in DA territory (scattering them amongst the federation members that took part in the war).
  3. A CB that bans robots & military Ai usage in regular/other empires that haven't outlawed it.
It'd be something only a fanatic spiritualist could form and only fan. spiritualist / spi+mil empires would want to join it, MIs could preemptively seek to destroy Luddic Leagues by having big diplo maluses vs them.

There could be a spiritual/pacifist second type of league, but it just promoting unity + spiritualism/pacifism isn't too interesting imo, we'd need some real religion mechanics for that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Also, if you have three levels of law (empire, federation, GC), the mechanics of what happens when they conflict could get very messy.
This at least wouldn't be a problem. In the first place, you are not forced to obey galactic laws. You merely get some penalties if you chose to break them, so galactic laws already work quite differently from empire or federation laws (which you are forced to follow).
And for federation laws regulating the policies of members it could work similar to how some ethics lock certain policy options. So if your federation has a "no slavery" law, you are simply locked out from using "slavery allowed" policy.

Reactions:
There could be a spiritual/pacifist second type of league, but it just promoting unity + spiritualism/pacifism isn't too interesting imo, we'd need some real religion mechanics for that.
There are already some mechanics around being psychic while federated, maybe build on that for the (currently sub-optimal but flavor-wise default) spiritualist psionic ascended.

Reactions:
  • 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I mean ideally they'd reintroduce the ability for multiple players to play one civ and then we could even have federations that centralize into one empire under multiple player control but that's a pipe dream.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I mean ideally they'd reintroduce the ability for multiple players to play one civ and then we could even have federations that centralize into one empire under multiple player control but that's a pipe dream.
or go the other way and bring back the old sector automation, which was essentially 1 person playing multiple civs

They don't need a new federation necessarily. Federation in itself are a prolongement of diplomatic aggrement such as reseach or trade for exemple. Spiritualist and egalitariant ethic even have some synergy with some federation. The problem are they need to have a political's and then after that a diplomatical's expansion to improve the federation system. But right now expanding the federation's underwhelming laws should suffice.

• 1Like
Reactions:
TBH, Galactic Union is a joke. Most of the perks you unlock are useless placeholders ( + flat unity...) and is just a generic crappy fed existing for ethics the devs seems to "dislike" for they always cripple them, nerf them, while they massively boost materialism.

So, Spiritualists and Hiveminds have to play with the GU crappy fed. This is even worse for Hives, because they don't have secondary ethic to unlock others Feds type.

Xenophobic ethics is converted by Hegemony Federation, I think.

IMHO, Federation is a really disappointing DLC, in a sense that it seems just unfinished, with too few fed types, crappy placeholders bonus for GU. As for the Galactic Council, the fédérations don't create that much narrative and engaging mechanic. Lots of modifiers on top of modifiers, you just wait for a XP slider to fill up to grab new modifiers...

And once in a while you get 5 lines pop up about some naval joint exercice (which don't exist IG, just text) or monument building project. Quite boring
Honestly its stuff like that, that makes me laugh when people suggest the dev's focus too much on balance for multiplayer.

MP balance is a total joke. If they were balancing for MP they'd have a sense of the current meta and wouldn't just continously buff/nerf certain factions for years. Nor would there be all the desync issues that have plagued the game for so long.

Reactions: