• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sectors optional. Core system limit gone. New number which shows empire bloat or something (dependent on districts, systems), which reduces tech speed and such.
Where EXATLY do they say that?

Because just looking at the Stream: Top bar in the limits part, there is a Limit with a Planet Icon and 1/3. Wich is exactly how the core System limit looks right now.

Edit: And it changed to 2/3, after they cheated that extra colony.

Because just looking at the Stream: Top bar in the limits part, there is a Limit with a Planet Icon and 1/3. Wich is exactly how the core System limit looks right now.

I think some people might be mixing up the tech spread systems impact from pops with the core worlds limit effect on your empires economy.

We don't know anything about the numbers.
The point of being able to buy a small amount of strategic resources is not to be blocked by the game because you weren't lucky whan you spawned. But if the amount you can get a very small for a very expensive price, then it makes conquering the area with the resources and holding on them very lucrative, since you have a direct access to the resource which you can use or sell for a high price
Exactly. Also one should keep in mind that strategic resources are not only needed for one time costs (buying a high level building or a special component on a ship etc.) but they are also required as upkeep for high level buildings:

Fig.1.jpg

So even if you are lucky at the start of the game and get a few planets that produce a few volatile motes for example you will sooner or later require that whole production for upkeep. So it makes sense to introduce some extra sources of strategic resources, that can be build later on.

Fig.3.jpg

Otherwise strategic resources will become more and more scarce as the game runs on and you may have to constantly buy them from the market no matter what you do.

The question is of course how much volatile motes each chemist produces and when that building becomes available during the game. Also you will not be able to build it everywhere as building slots are limited and you may also need to produce the other special resources and basic resources somewhere. So given that we don't know the numbers and the numbers are non-final anyways my feeling is that the basic concept is all right.

Of course an alternative would be to have higher and higher tiers of buildings that produce the strategic resources at planets that have a deposit of the given resource. However, it may be that the latter would be too punishing for smaller empires. We will have to see and assume that, naturally after such an overhaul, the balacing will be far from perfect at release but will get better over time.

I think some people might be mixing up the tech spread systems impact from pops with the core worlds limit effect on your empires economy.
That is what I said on the previous page. Right here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...witter-teasers.1086729/page-135#post-24633055

It was just being rebuffed and my request for a reference have gone unanswered for this entire page. And then I found proof of the opposite, within the first 3 minutes of the Dev Corner Stream.

Research/tradition penalties (WIP)

They haven't yet added it to the build in the stream, which is why it still uses the old core system thing. They mention it somewhere in the later part of the stream.

About the sector-issue ...

At 25.34 begins the related part + At 25.55, "we don't have the limited core-systems anymore" + At 27.13, the sector-system will be reworked.

Exactly. Also one should keep in mind that strategic resources are not only needed for one time costs (buying a high level building or a special component on a ship etc.) but they are also required as upkeep for high level buildings:

View attachment 402206

So even if you are lucky at the start of the game and get a few planets that produce a few volatile motes for example you will sooner or later require that whole production for upkeep. So it makes sense to introduce some extra sources of strategic resources, that can be build later on.

View attachment 402208

Otherwise strategic resources will become more and more scarce as the game runs on and you may have to constantly buy them from the market no matter what you do.

The question is of course how much volatile motes each chemist produces and when that building becomes available during the game. Also you will not be able to build it everywhere as building slots are limited and you may also need to produce the other special resources and basic resources somewhere. So given that we don't know the numbers and the numbers are non-final anyways my feeling is that the basic concept is all right.

Of course an alternative would be to have higher and higher tiers of buildings that produce the strategic resources at planets that have a deposit of the given resource. However, it may be that the latter would be too punishing for smaller empires. We will have to see and assume that, naturally after such an overhaul, the balacing will be far from perfect at release but will get better over time.

The Chemical Plant is an interesting choice. What most upgrades we've seen do, is simply giving more jobs per building.. (and possibly a bit more efficiency, but mostly more jobs) like if you had build two hologram theatres instead of a single upgraded one. Effectively 'volatile motes' give you more building slots per planet with the upgrade.

Now if you choose to build chemical plants, you lose building slots on one planet, so you can build 'more' buildings somewhere else. Even if chemists wouldn't have expensive inputs to create motes, it's still a trade-off, with a cost in pops employed/housing needed/empire size/amenities needed for additional pops&infra (and 'free' volatile mote deposits could still be worth a lot).

At 25.34 begins the related part + At 25.55, "we don't have the limited core-systems anymore" + At 27.13, the sector-system will be reworked.

I took this to mean that because they were consolidating all the size scaling into one 'Empire Size'-based modifier, sectors/core systems would get the same treatment. Perhaps you could only directly control so many 'Empire Size' points-worth of systems, instead of a set number of colonised ones? Would definitely stop me making thin snaking sectors that leave 90% of un-colonisable systems under my control.

"A look at how research/tradition penalties from empire size will work in the 2.2 'Le Guin' update. Please note that the topbar is highly WIP!
DmfwgBXXgAMs1lu.jpg:large

"https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1038062784469196801

Finally some data and it even corellates with the Latest teaser:
The Planet and System Symbols are now only counters.

However notice the tooltip on Empire Size. There is a "Base Threshold" of 20. That sounds like that might be replacing the Core Sector Limit. Empire Size might become mostly a more granular Core Sector Limit. It still would have the same function: getting you to use Sectors. There are several reason to make it more granular:
- if part of the cap is based on Population, then it would scale better to galaxy size and habitable planets
- If sectors only reduced the Empire Size cost for those Planets and Systems by a little (rather then to 0), it would limit your size even with sectors. Forcing you to maybe release some vassal even as non-Authoritarian?
- it can help with some abuseable mechanics. Like how you get the same +% Unity and the same fullfillment of the "Be Overlord" Faction issues from a 1 Planet and 20 Planet Vassal. If it was based on soemthing like "Empire Size of all Vassals"/"Overlord Empire Size", that would be way lower abuse potential. And it would not even be the first time 1 Planet Vassal Abuse was fixed

Finally some data and it even corellates with the Latest teaser:
The Planet and System Symbols are now only counters.

However notice the tooltip on Empire Size. There is a "Base Threshold" of 20. That sounds like that might be replacing the Core Sector Limit. Empire Size might become mostly a more granular Core Sector Limit. It still would have the same function: getting you to use Sectors. There are several reason to make it more granular:
- if part of the cap is based on Population, then it would scale better to galaxy size and habitable planets
- If sectors only reduced the Empire Size cost for those Planets and Systems by a little (rather then to 0), it would limit your size even with sectors. Forcing you to maybe release some vassal even as non-Authoritarian?
- it can help with some abuseable mechanics. Like how you get the same +% Unity and the same fullfillment of the "Be Overlord" Faction issues from a 1 Planet and 20 Planet Vassal. If it was based on soemthing like "Empire Size of all Vassals"/"Overlord Empire Size", that would be way lower abuse potential. And it would not even be the first time 1 Planet Vassal Abuse was fixed

For tech/unity in this version there are also thresholds for amounts of pops and such before you actually get penalties. This 'base threshold' for empire size penalties looks the same.

If they want to make sectors optional, I see no reason to give a reduction on empire size if you place things in sectors, since that would make the 'optional' part counterproductive.

I just had an idea:
What if the "hostile takeover" casus belli's effect is to claim galactic market ownership? There was a pop up in the stream showing that apparently an empire can found the market, so there's gotta be ways to steal the ownership for yourself.

Yeah I said something like this on the last pages, too. Sectors are still gonna be there, but are probably gonna be a trade off between getting less tech/unity penalties and something else, maybe unrest maybe resource production maybe autonomy. I didn't say that sectors were getting removed in that other post only that the "core world limit" stuff in the top bar was getting replaced with a different system to handle the penalties.

For tech/unity in this version there are also thresholds for amounts of pops and such before you actually get penalties.
You already had a unity penalty. A increased cost is just a penalty by another name. Both Tech and Unity penalites were using Pop count and System counts as part of their Formula. Only the way they went about it was differently.

Yeah I said something like this on the last pages, too. Sectors are still gonna be there, but are probably gonna be a trade off between getting less tech/unity penalties and something else, maybe unrest maybe resource production maybe autonomy.
I hope they finally get Autonomy. The whole Core Planet/Core Sector limit just screamed "I am the CK2 Demnesse Limit in Space" since 1.0 to me. it is to bad the other half (them actually acting on their own) never quite materialized.

However notice the tooltip on Empire Size
There is a "Base Threshold" of 20.
It still would have the same function: getting you to use Sectors.
But I don't get, why we just get penalties ...

If I would get some discounts in regards to the costs of technologies, traditions and campaigns by being under this treshold then I would actually have an incentive to create a sector, to create multiple sectors aka to reach my sector-limit aka to don't use just 1 gigantic sector and, (in the case, that I still haven't reached it so far, even with (multiple) sectors), to concentrate on a technology, tradition or what-ever, which increases it even more.

Last edited:
You already had a unity penalty. A increased cost is just a penalty by another name. Both Tech and Unity penalites were using Pop count and System counts as part of their Formula. Only the way they went about it was differently.

I hope they finally get Autonomy. The whole Core Planet/Core Sector limit just screamed "I am the CK2 Demnesse Limit in Space" since 1.0 to me. it is to bad the other half (them actually acting on their own) never quite materialized.

What are you talking about?

What I was talking about is that in current/previous versions there are also thresholds before you get actual penalties for tech and culture. For instance the first planet and first system you have don't counting (and in previous ones you'd only get penalties for having more than 10 pops for instance).

And it seems to me that this new system works the same, and is not related to the mechanic of absolutely having to be below a certain amount of core systems, forcing you to dump systems into sectors. So my argument is that

" It still would have the same function: getting you to use Sectors. There are several reason to make it more granular:"

is not necessarily a function of this new system. Especially if you listen to the stream..

I've got to say that even though I think sectors as they are don't really work so well (better than before however ) I'd be really disappointed if they were removed or made non mandatory (not a hard limit though) for larger empires.

They seem to me to have great possibilities for internal politics and are even a way to make characters more interesting. By that I mean that if you had governors that were more or less loyal to you they might rebel taking their sector with them.

Okay, seriously, STOP THIS. You don't have the right to demand people do your homework for you, in exactly the way you delineate, and get huffy when they aren't taking valuable time out of their day to answer your unimportant question that'll be answered in time. To be frank, as a skeptic, I have to call out such behaviour as being dickish and mean.

I heard Wiz say he was doing away with core worlds, a lot of us did, and just because we don't have a time stamp does NOT MEAN IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. We don't have time to hunt down the references, and again, we are under no obligation to do your homework for you.

We got the answer you were looking for, but NOT thanks to you. You didn't have to be a dick about it, and this idea pervading the skeptic community that it's okay to walk up to laypeople and demand evidence for every little thing bothers me extensively.

I expect an avalanche of respectful disagreement, but I don't care. I call incivility as I see it. Seriously, STOP IT.