Kinetics - the numbers just get stupid

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cordane

GW/SC/PD/Flak Wonk
18 Badges
Sep 25, 2013
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Yeah, I probably obsess too much about actual physics when looking at a video game - I get that. But I was trying to get a better sense of just how difficult it would be to use kinetic weapons in space, considering the likely distances and timeframes involved. And the numbers I came up with kind of floored me:

Let's start with range - I've already given a dissertation here on what distances I think are somewhat realistic for a space battle and why. Basically, if you multiply the basic Range stat by 1,000 km or 1 megameter (1 Mm), it's pretty close to what I think works.

From that we can determine time to impact - an S-slot Mass Driver has a Range of 50, or 50 Mm. At the speed of light (c), a laser would only take about a sixth of a second to impact; at 10% of c, it's 1.67 seconds; and 16.67 seconds at 1%. The time to impact is also the amount of time given to the target to deviate from its course enough to avoid getting hit - the target doesn't need to know when a shot is fired, just that it needs to every so often have an off-vector burn to throw off targeting.

So the goal for the ship firing the kinetic shot is to get that time to impact down low enough to limit the target's ability to evade - this requires getting to a given slug velocity. But it has to get it to that velocity using an accelerator barrel of a given length. For a more realistic space warship, you would use the whole ship's length for a spinal mount - if a ship were, for example, 800 meters in length, you might be able to use 700m of that for a spinal cannon. Given a longer barrel, acceleration can be applied for a greater length of time.

Let's do some math:

Your barrel length is 700m, and you're trying to accelerate a 1 gram pellet to 1% c, so it will require an acceleration of around 655,000,000x the force of gravity at Earth's surface (~9.81 m/s^2), applied for about 0.467 milliseconds. If my math is right, that's about 6.43M Newtons of force, or about 9.64 terawatts of power applied to the pellet (i.e., equal to half of the total consumption of power on Earth in 2005). That power number doesn't count any inefficiencies in the cannon, especially waste heat.

But wait, you don't have 700 meters to work with - you're trying to fire the pellet from a turret. Perhaps the turret has a 60 meter-long barrel (you might be able to go longer if your turret had the barrel balanced over the pivot point like some kind of teeter-totter, but we'll stick with 60m for now). Again, 1 gram, 1% c, and now it's 0.040ms to get to speed, so you need an acceleration of 7.65B times gravity - that's 75M Newtons / 113 terawatts, not counting inefficiencies.

Another "but wait" - we've only been accelerating up to 1% c, when we should be shooting for 10% at least, to actually minimize the chance of evasion. To get twice the velocity, you need 4x the force/power; for 10x velocity, it's 100x force/power. That's 7.5B Newtons, 11.3 petawatts (i.e., total for low end Type-I Kardashev-scale civilization), and now you don't have just mechanical inefficiencies to worry about, but relativistic ones as well.

Oh and you're applying all of these forces in a ship's turret. For a single Tier 1 weapon.

I ran those numbers based on a 1 gram pellet because you don't really need to send anything bigger at that kind of velocity. You may actually be able / be forced to use a (MUCH) smaller pellet - maybe that saves on power and stresses on the system - but all this assumes that you only need to accelerate the pellet and not also some sort of cradle or similar to carry the pellet down the barrel.

In the end, for those of you who are not in any way concerned with anything to do with realism, physics, etc., none of this matters in the least - you want your "pew pew", you get your "pew pew", no questions asked, no answers sought. I just thought it was ridiculous how monstrous the numbers were coming out of this, and thought I would share it with you.

One other thing to keep in mind: the speeds that Stellaris has ships travelling at with even low Tier thrusters (e.g., crossing a 60 AU-wide system in a couple of months) are already close to the 1% c mark (e.g., 1 AU/day is approximately 1,700 km/s or 0.57% c), so maybe that "slow" of a pellet would be harmless to even a civilian vessel, never mind a warship, if they would commonly run into such things just flying along. And those speeds are not actually ludicrous, as you can reach it in about 2 days of 1 gravity acceleration.

Yeah, the numbers are silly. Remember, we start in 2200. With an empire already so advanced it uses antigravity technology to build luxury housing. (While still having Fission Reactors and Fission Missiles as their best tech? And no synths? Or Gene Engineering?). Space Battles take place over the scale of months, with weapons firing every few days - even the super fast fire speed ones take hours between shots.

In short order - relatively - you begin building Dyson Spheres and Ringworlds, and shooting Tachyon Lances. The numbers in Stellaris are all ridiculous, because you're all so powerful.

And planets are too big, the distance between planet is too short...

The system view is a representation were everything is not on scale. Obviously every extrapolation from it is doomed to be ridiculous.

And planets are too big, the distance between planet is too short...

The system view is a representation were everything is not on scale. Obviously every extrapolation from it is doomed to be ridiculous.

Imagine if the asteroid event would turn your colony into a cracked world if you fail to destroy the asteroid. (The asteroid model seems big enough.)

If you make assumptions about what the game values represent, and then find that these assumptions lead to absurd conclusions, it's your assumptions that are wrong, not the game values.

If you make assumptions about what the game values represent, and then find that these assumptions lead to absurd conclusions, it's your assumptions that are wrong, not the game values.
The fundamental flaw is the assumption that anything in Stellaris translates into real-world values.
See also: "How many individuals does a single pop represent?"

I don't understand why you are restricting yourself to a measly 800 meters ship. My corvets start at 15 km in width. Packing a km of turreted gun or two isn't really a problem.

btw we in the first world don't use megametre as a unit. it's 1000km.

I'm fine with it.

AND... It's even worse.

Look at the distance on the solar map when combat starts. It's like several AU. Your numbers about for thousands of km. An AU is 83 million km, right? So these projectIles are flying at multiples of c.

But I'm fine with it.

Wow, you're absolutely right - there is ZERO chance that the game's arbitrary values are in the least bit absurd...

Very little of what I have above actually talks about the game itself. Instead, it looks at what a space warship, dealing with a more realistic setting, might have to deal with. I pointed out some elements of Stellaris to put the discussion in perspective for those who might read it.

A starship that is capable of traveling at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, and having to deal with frequent impacts of even up to very small asteroids that were just in the starship's path, is going to have almost no issue with defending against kinetic slugs that aren't (1) massive and/or (2) traveling at speeds MANY multiples of what the starship is capable of. Getting a kinetic slug up to any relativistic fraction is incredibly hard to do, especially if the slug has any significant mass, unless you have VERY long barrels and VERY powerful power plants. Please note that the force and power requirements I indicated for the 60m barrel and 10% c talk about the entire output of a CIVILIZATION, for one weapon on one warship - feel free to scale down the requirements by making the barrel length extreme, but you're still dealing with ludicrous values.

Did that last paragraph say anything that specifically talked about Stellaris? All of the work I did on this looks at basic physics and real-world values. Show me that I'm wrong about this - not about how Stellaris doesn't care because psionics, space dragons, etc. Stellaris has its own absurdities above and beyond anything I wrote either here or in the OP, and only some of them are legitimate compromises for the sake of making a playable game. That's not pertinent to this discussion. The point of all of this was to point out how crazy stupid the numbers are when you actually run them. Virtually every technology ever talked about in any space warship-using science-fiction universe (book, movie, game) has similar craziness - I'm just pointing out this one.

Wow, you're absolutely right - there is ZERO chance that the game's arbitrary values are in the least bit absurd...

Very little of what I have above actually talks about the game itself. Instead, it looks at what a space warship, dealing with a more realistic setting, might have to deal with. I pointed out some elements of Stellaris to put the discussion in perspective for those who might read it.

A starship that is capable of traveling at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, and having to deal with frequent impacts of even up to very small asteroids that were just in the starship's path, is going to have almost no issue with defending against kinetic slugs that aren't (1) massive and/or (2) traveling at speeds MANY multiples of what the starship is capable of. Getting a kinetic slug up to any relativistic fraction is incredibly hard to do, especially if the slug has any significant mass, unless you have VERY long barrels and VERY powerful power plants. Please note that the force and power requirements I indicated for the 60m barrel and 10% c talk about the entire output of a CIVILIZATION, for one weapon on one warship - feel free to scale down the requirements by making the barrel length extreme, but you're still dealing with ludicrous values.

Did that last paragraph say anything that specifically talked about Stellaris? All of the work I did on this looks at basic physics and real-world values. Show me that I'm wrong about this - not about how Stellaris doesn't care because psionics, space dragons, etc. Stellaris has its own absurdities above and beyond anything I wrote either here or in the OP, and only some of them are legitimate compromises for the sake of making a playable game. That's not pertinent to this discussion. The point of all of this was to point out how crazy stupid the numbers are when you actually run them. Virtually every technology ever talked about in any space warship-using science-fiction universe (book, movie, game) has similar craziness - I'm just pointing out this one.

but it's not craziness. it's fiction. there's a difference.

Some other objections.

Why not a shorter range?

Why would total speed give an idea of a ship evasion ability ? Hitting something that goes in a straight line at a constant speed is not hard. But if it can change its speed quickly, it becomes harder. Acceleration (and how much can the ship change it) seems to give a better idea of a ship evasion ability.

Lasers of Tier 1 and Tier 2 would be absolutly worthless: I just Need to coat my ships with materials having Mirrorqualities and im done.
with a good multilayer Mirror I'd even be able to deflect Tier 3 lasers

therefore it's quite obvious that the game is wrong (cause apparently no civilisation came up with the idea)

it also Shows however that real live Physics dont apply to the game

but it's not craziness. it's fiction. there's a difference.

I can still remember the sense of betrayal I felt when someone told me that the soldiers in EU4 are not, in fact, 100 miles tall.

I was all, like, why do they need ships to cross oceans when they could literally just walk across and only get their giant boots wet? Why don't the 100 mile long ships cause mega-tsunami and devastate coast lines when they move? How could something that large even sail in oceans only a few miles deep? But *apparently* the map in grand strategy and 4x games isn't meant to be taken literally.

Last edited:
Yeah, I probably obsess too much about actual physics when looking at a video game - I get that. But I was trying to get a better sense of just how difficult it would be to use kinetic weapons in space, considering the likely distances and timeframes involved.

Not only kinetic weapons, any kind of weapons. Even lasers would not work (since the intensity of light decreases by r^2), you would have a hard time, tracking any other space ship (you need not only the positions, but also the direction and speed of an enemy ship).

I think your initial assertion as to the engagement distances of spacecraft is in error.

In sci-fi, nearly all spacecraft engage at distances that are between a few meters and a few kilometres. Just watch Star Trek/Star Wars or battlestar galáctica ;)

Even lasers would not work (since the intensity of light decreases by r^2),
Um, why would it? It's a laser. Presumably there's little to no bleed-off.