• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cordane

GW/SC/PD/Flak Wonk
18 Badges
Sep 25, 2013
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Within Stellaris, kinetic weapons are fairly straightforward: for the most part, they do bonus damage versus an opponent’s shields and hull, and have a harder time getting through an opponent’s armor. Energy weapons are very much less so: some weapons are anti-armor, some are anti-hull, and some are even anti-shield, while another group ignores shields AND armor. But each type of weapon follows a basic set of rules: if it fires a shot, the shot hits or doesn’t based on accuracy (including tracking and evasion) alone. The opponent can’t eliminate the shot before it has a chance to resolve, whether that is by the targeted ship or one of its fleet mates.

Not so with missiles and torpedoes in Stellaris. In a realistic setting, these guided weapons (GW) would be able to make corrections all the way to their targets, accounting for limitations from their initial launch and defensive maneuvers by the target. In a realistic setting, GW would be very accurate, especially at any significant range, when compared to kinetic and energy weapons, and could do enormous damage on a hit. In a realistic setting, kinetic and energy weapons would likely hit with a (perhaps much) smaller percentage of shots and would also inflict less damage per hit. In this realistic setting, a warship would likely gear a large percentage of their defenses against the attacks with the greatest chance to do the most harm, that being GW.

In a relatively fair game setting, the defensive systems used against GW would knock down their effectiveness to a similar level to the other types of attacks, preferably leaving some way for them to remain unique (e.g., burst damage and/or long range for smaller ships). But Stellaris doesn’t have that right now: a limited number of filled PD slots can completely neuter the output of at least an equal number of filled GW slots (which are also each effectively twice the size of the slot defeating them). Only when a massed salvo arrives all during the same few combat days (rather than a thinner but continuous stream) does any significant chance exist. That assumes that the opponent isn’t an AI player that has decided that every one of its Corvettes and Destroyers have to be designed with Picket ship sections.

Currently in Stellaris, GW aren’t completely without merit. As an attempt to give them some level of balance, GW have significantly better range than other M-slot-equivalent weapons, and their favorable damage ratios (missiles IGNORE shields, full vs. armor, +25% vs. hull) allows them much faster destructiveness than their basic kinetic and energy cousins (which are +42% and +52% slower at destroying a ship than missiles with +25% shields and +25% armor over a given hull value, e.g., 200 shield, 200 armor, 800 hull, and +60% and 71% when shields/armor are at +50%, e.g., 400/400/800) – assuming of course that the target has no PD. GW do still have to deal with a slightly smaller Tracking value, and flight times will always result in some overkill on shots (even with retargeting) and some extra incoming damage before the shots get to a target. But they would need to be balanced much tighter if there would be no PD at all going forward.

What would be the plan moving forward? First, Point Defense as a weapon type goes away. We’ll be reducing Accuracy on GW to account for assumed point defense and jamming efforts by the targeted ships (not by screening ships, though), but those won’t be simulated on the screen. There may still be a place for GW Accuracy debuff items for ships, whether as a core component, auxiliary module, or computer effect – it would probably make sense to allow for this while increasing Tracking significantly relative to slot size.

Second, there won’t be a need for a standard Swarmer-style missile mount, as there won’t be PD mounts to overwhelm. There probably should be a wider variety of GW types, including re-introducing S- and L-slot variants (and doing away with G-slots), but a large part of the variants should be focused on allowing GW to synergize better with other weapon mixes. The current shield-penetration configuration only synergizes with Strike Craft (and creates an unbalanced damage model), while adding shield-buster (anti-shield), bomb-pumped laser (anti-armor), or exotic radiation (armor penetration) warheads would give more options for ship designers.

Third, the basic attack model for GW would need to change. Reducing Accuracy (base or after applying target debuff modules) for GW would do two things: bring the “no PD” damage rate closer to kinetics and energy, and allow for technology improvements to base Accuracy (something that only kinetics and energy got before). Increasing the cooldown (i.e., reducing the rate of fire) would also get the damage rate more in line, although it might also lock in GW as too good of a “burst damage” choice (i.e., smaller number of larger damage attacks, to limit withdraw checks and allow for complete kills). Speaking of “burst damage”: Torpedoes would need to come (way?) down on damage per hit and (again: way?) down on cooldown, to still be a good “burst” weapon (along with reduced Tracking and better ACC-debuff resistance, keeping them a good choice vs. capital ships), but no longer a mortal lock for Corvettes.

The biggest issue I see with this is exacerbating the problem with mono-fleets. If Destroyers (or other PD/Flak-mounting ships) can’t offer defensive capabilities to Battleships (which might still be the end-all, be-all), why bring them along at all? There are plenty of other changes that could be made to diversify fleets that might mitigate this, but it’s an extra concern to add to the pile.

I wanted to finish with a few words on Strike Craft and Flak mounts: I was reading another thread where someone commented that SC could be looked at as a limited-duration attack rather than a continuous-until-defeated attack. That might work, and would seem to dovetail pretty well with what I’m doing here, but I think it’s a hairier problem than with GW/PD. I would look at the same kind of change for Flak as PD, with Flak switching to a similar component/module setup or integrating directly into the PD system. But I would look for Hangars to do three things differently: produce static wings of Strike Craft that fight as a unit rather than as 4-8 individual little ships, replace wings every so often throughout the fight, and set up Hangars with SC wings with different tasks (e.g., interdictor, bomber, defender, patroller).

Modeling SC as a whole wing rather than individual craft makes for an easier-to-program “ship” in the battle environment. Fewer objects to track on the SC side, along with less need to track GW at all by removing distinct attacks against them, would make for smoother battles, even with a greater number of GW objects added as more slots get used for GW.

SC wings could be launched out with a timer on them, giving them time to get to a target, make some attacks, and then either move on to another target once the first is defeated or “retreat and rearm” once the timer runs out. Flak modules on targeted ships would cause the timers on orbiting SC wings to run out quicker, simulating SC wings being shot up, or they could focus on Accuracy reductions, like the PD modules above. Hangars would have a cooldown to try to keep SC wings out and on-target on a fairly continual basis, adversely affected by standoff range and enemy Flak activity.

To allow for different tasks, either Hangars could be set for a task (and whatever SC unit that’s applied does the task) or different tasks are set by the type of SC loaded into the Hangar (and each SC type has tiers of advancement). SC wings set to interdictor roles go after smaller full-size ships first and move up; bombers go for bigger ships and on down; defenders stay close to the launching carrier (and knock down SC wing timers like Flak); and patrollers latch on to nearby undefended ships and act as their “defenders”. I don’t know if defender/patroller Hangars would be the same size as interdictor/bomber Hangars – perhaps an M-slot equivalent H-slot Hangar with 4-SC squadrons, versus an L-slot equivalent F-slot Flight Deck with 8-SC wings – that might allow, for example, a Destroyer to have defensive Hangars and allow them to still fill a screening role for Battleships. Defensive squadrons might also offer some level of GW Accuracy debuff, similar to PD modules, but it would likely be a small effect alongside their primary anti-SC role.

Upvote 0
About the Interceptor / Bomber differentiation: That's how it was in earlier versions of Stellaris. And since it was removed, I don't think it's coming back unless we get a serious rework of combat mechanics.

For your suggestion: you might want to clear up a few key points:
1. What is the (perceived) problem. You seem to think PD is too strong?
1b. Include some numbers to back your opinion.
2. What is your suggestion. I understand you want to remove PD, but you forgot
3. Why is your solution better / what does your suggestion improve.

also 4. for a text of this length please include some structure... no one likes a wall of text.

To TLDR the main point as I understood it.

Problem is that missiles/fighters and PD are a binary system where PD wins but without PD missiles win over most other weapons. It's not about damage it's about how it works. If you know that enemy has missiles you build PD and win. If you know that your enemy has no PD and build missiles you have a very good chance to win.

In a relatively fair game setting, the defensive systems used against GW would knock down their effectiveness to a similar level to the other types of attacks, preferably leaving some way for them to remain unique (e.g., burst damage and/or long range for smaller ships). But Stellaris doesn’t have that right now: a limited number of filled PD slots can completely neuter the output of at least an equal number of filled GW slots (which are also each effectively twice the size of the slot defeating them). Only when a massed salvo arrives all during the same few combat days (rather than a thinner but continuous stream) does any significant chance exist. That assumes that the opponent isn’t an AI player that has decided that every one of its Corvettes and Destroyers have to be designed with Picket ship sections.
There are many threads that talk about Point Defense and Strike Craft - feel free to pick one. I don't have a specific thread to point to that generated numbers for you to determine whether they are worthy.
What would be the plan moving forward? First, Point Defense as a weapon type goes away. We’ll be reducing Accuracy on GW to account for assumed point defense and jamming efforts by the targeted ships (not by screening ships, though), but those won’t be simulated on the screen. There may still be a place for GW Accuracy debuff items for ships, whether as a core component, auxiliary module, or computer effect – it would probably make sense to allow for this while increasing Tracking significantly relative to slot size.

Second, there won’t be a need for a standard Swarmer-style missile mount, as there won’t be PD mounts to overwhelm. There probably should be a wider variety of GW types, including re-introducing S- and L-slot variants (and doing away with G-slots), but a large part of the variants should be focused on allowing GW to synergize better with other weapon mixes. The current shield-penetration configuration only synergizes with Strike Craft (and creates an unbalanced damage model), while adding shield-buster (anti-shield), bomb-pumped laser (anti-armor), or exotic radiation (armor penetration) warheads would give more options for ship designers.

Third, the basic attack model for GW would need to change. Reducing Accuracy (base or after applying target debuff modules) for GW would do two things: bring the “no PD” damage rate closer to kinetics and energy, and allow for technology improvements to base Accuracy (something that only kinetics and energy got before). Increasing the cooldown (i.e., reducing the rate of fire) would also get the damage rate more in line, although it might also lock in GW as too good of a “burst damage” choice (i.e., smaller number of larger damage attacks, to limit withdraw checks and allow for complete kills). Speaking of “burst damage”: Torpedoes would need to come (way?) down on damage per hit and (again: way?) down on cooldown, to still be a good “burst” weapon (along with reduced Tracking and better ACC-debuff resistance, keeping them a good choice vs. capital ships), but no longer a mortal lock for Corvettes.
I've come up with many suggestions on my own (search for my posts if you want), and I would say the biggest thing this does is take out a system with an almost unreachable balance point to be fair to attackers and defenders - the solution itself requires people to look it over and see if it has merit. I'm probably not the best person to be THE judge of whether this is better than everything that has come before, but I think it's at least different from my others that weren't as accepted.
also 4. for a text of this length please include some structure... no one likes a wall of text.
Not sure what your complaint is here - what I've written here is no different from a 2-page article in a magazine or internet equivalent. Basic paragraph format, 2-5 sentences per, establish baseline, identify problem, propose solution, bring up concerns, and followed up with a related topic. If your view of it in your browser causes the post to come through as an unbroken wall of text, look elsewhere for a solution to it.

Last edited:
I honestly do appreciate that people have marked that they "respectfully" disagree with my post - it lets me know that there is something wrong with what I've written, hopefully something I can fix. But it's not terribly useful for understanding where we disagree with where Stellaris should go on this or any other topic. A comment indicating what in particular is the source of disagreement would make it easier to come up with an adjusted suggestion, assuming it's not that the commenter simply doesn't see the current situation as needing adjustment.

So I'll ask what the concerns are:
  1. Is the entire premise (PD can't be effectively balanced, so get rid of it and adjust from there) at odds with your thoughts on the game?
  2. Do the remaining advantages for GW (range, Accuracy/Tracking, "burst" damage) make you think that they would simply take over as the only real weapon option?
  3. Would the warhead options make GW too same-y versus energy or kinetic weapons?
  4. Do you think the component/module mechanic won't work?
  5. Do you have a strong concern about the exacerbation of the mono-fleet issue?
  6. Is the entire premise of the SC change (SC as vulnerable but persistent individual ships get replaced by damage-over-time objects over targets) at odds with your thoughts on the game?
  7. Do you think the Flak-side component/module mechanic won't work?
  8. Are the different options for SC craft and/or Hangar types a bad mechanic?
Again, I appreciate feedback on this and any other post I make, all the more if I get something constructive to work with. Thanks!

I think you are trying to put a bandaid in a place which is kind of not very important in the grand scheme of things and won't in any meaningful way make combat better. To actually improve on combat you'll need to tackle not only all the weapon and defence systems but very likely also how they are acquired through tech.

About the Interceptor / Bomber differentiation: That's how it was in earlier versions of Stellaris. And since it was removed, I don't think it's coming back unless we get a serious rework of combat mechanics.

According to the Stellaris Twitter, Apocalypse was our serious rework of combat mechanics. Which is very disappointing to me. The combat mechanics have so much room to grow, and they're just being ignored for now. Granted there are other systems that need fleshing out first, but yeah

Why not simply turn PD into defensive module like shield/armour and balance things around that? Both keeps the system and streamlines ship design.

I think you are trying to put a bandaid in a place which is kind of not very important in the grand scheme of things and won't in any meaningful way make combat better. To actually improve on combat you'll need to tackle not only all the weapon and defence systems but very likely also how they are acquired through tech.
I'm trying to understand your thoughts here:

On the one side, it looks like your thought on my suggestion is that it's meaningless, because the subject of the changes - GW, PD, SC, Flak - is not very important. Why is that? When Stellaris was first released, missiles were supposed to be the third co-equal starting choice alongside kinetics and energy weapons. The goal with these changes was to try to get (back) to that equality or at least close, rather than the status quo of getting slapped down hard for trying to use GW and implicitly (if not explicitly) being told to go back to kinetics and energy.

On the other side, it looks like you're looking at ship combat as being significantly flawed and in need of a major rework, and that this suggestion isn't actually big enough to cover what you think is needed overall. What are your major concerns with the current combat system, what do you see as being preferred end-state, and where do you see GW, etc., as part of that?

Why not simply turn PD into defensive module like shield/armour and balance things around that? Both keeps the system and streamlines ship design.
I've actually had at least two major suggestions for changes that focused on making the defenses against GW be more of a utility slot system. Both suggestions (links "No Range-Based Penalties?" and "Missiles, Countermeasures, & More") focused on switching from Point Defense (shooting down incoming GW) to Countermeasures (applying penalties to effective Accuracy of attacks), mostly because I was trying to come up with a system that wasn't only anti-GW - both had an effect on kinetic and energy attacks but we're only more effective versus GW.

The first (but posted later) of those two suggestions mainly looked at changing how Range should impact effective Accuracy, by having flight time influence Evasion, and then had Countermeasures which either increased the penalty per unit of time or added effectively more units of time to any given shot. The second (earlier) suggestion focused on jamming and decoys, which used expected damage to determine how much of the value was used against each attack. Both systems were almost certainly overly complex, but they were both looking for a different way to knock down effectiveness for GW to a reasonable level without completely neutering them.

On the one side, it looks like your thought on my suggestion is that it's meaningless, because the subject of the changes - GW, PD, SC, Flak - is not very important. Why is that?
Currently Stellaris combat works similar to real life - you find the advantage and hammer at it until enemy crumbles. There is no real balance between weapons - instead there are points where certain weapons are better than others and sometimes that changes depending on what tech you and your enemies get. Proposed changes would do nothing to alleviate that besides moving that place in which missiles and torpedoes are good to hammering on your enemy that forgot about PD or was tricked out of it. (They are also pretty good vs stations throughout the game).

On the other side, it looks like you're looking at ship combat as being significantly flawed and in need of a major rework, and that this suggestion isn't actually big enough to cover what you think is needed overall. What are your major concerns with the current combat system, what do you see as being preferred end-state, and where do you see GW, etc., as part of that?
The existence of monofleets is the symptom of how the combat system is setup - the clear advantage of certain modules over others with counter being more or less themselves. I wo-uld have like for there to be clear need for different ship classes at all stages of play. And all of them actually being useful and preferred in different situations. The only way to achieve that is to have actual counters to each ship build so that say if artillery loaded battleships tried to attack without support they could be taken out by a fleet that would cost around 1/4 of their own price and preferably it should be not battleships.

Right now you more or less have corvettes and battleships. You can use corvettes throughout the game until you get battleships and then relegate them to the role of harassers. You could use destroyers and cruisers but there is no actual tangible advantage to that. Spending tech on strengthening corvettes would lead to better results in most cases.

Right now the only real counter is scouting your opponents components and building a counter to it. Against AI it is too easy, an against people it is kind of frustrating as in the end it still ends with two blobs smashing into each other.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I see complaining that PDs are too strong against missles, while missles are too strong against no-PD fleets. That's the point, the whole ship design is supposed to allow for countering things. Is the enemy using anti-shield weapons? Redesign ships to have armour. GWs are beating you? Equip point defense. As it is now, I don't personally see much issue with current combat and weapons. Changing PDs and GWs would in the end be a waste of time, the change itself and following inevitable rebalancing issues would take away resources that could be put into changes that actually make sense (new features, fixing stuff that actually does need fixing)

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I see complaining that PDs are too strong against missles, while missles are too strong against no-PD fleets. That's the point, the whole ship design is supposed to allow for countering things. Is the enemy using anti-shield weapons? Redesign ships to have armour. GWs are beating you? Equip point defense. As it is now, I don't personally see much issue with current combat and weapons. Changing PDs and GWs would in the end be a waste of time, the change itself and following inevitable rebalancing issues would take away resources that could be put into changes that actually make sense (new features, fixing stuff that actually does need fixing)
OK, a couple of things here:

When you have a defensive setup that is completely keyed on defending against anti-shield weaponry, i.e., full armor, no shields, doesn't that now make you vulnerable to anti-armor weapons? Is that something you have to be worried about with using PD against GW? No?

I indicated in my OP that, when looking at just the weapon itself, a mass driver-type kinetic takes about 60% longer to take down a ship than a missile-type GW, assuming a defensive setup that is approximately 1:1:2 shields to armor to hull. That would mean that missiles do 160% of the damage of mass drivers. With most weapon types, when they go against their preferred defensive setup, they do 150% or 200% damage, but only 50% or 25% damage respectively against their least favorable target defense. Can you point to another weapon that only does 150% or so damage when preferred but 0% damage when not? However, I can point to certain weapons, e.g., Kinetic Launchers, Mega Cannons, that have bonus damage in multiple areas and very little relative penalties, e.g., 200/50/125 and 150/75/125, respectively.

GW would need to be rebalanced around a defensive environment that doesn't include PD, but that balancing would work right alongside the existing ablative defenses, and certainly not on top of them.

That is the entire point, GWs are stronger than normal weapons, and so are also easier to defend against. Its a choice, either use GWs and risk tchem being blocked, but get a Chance to deal more damage than kinetic or lasers. Once again, I personally don't see anything as under or overpowered.

That is the entire point, GWs are stronger than normal weapons, and so are also easier to defend against. Its a choice, either use GWs and risk tchem being blocked, but get a Chance to deal more damage than kinetic or lasers. Once again, I personally don't see anything as under or overpowered.
What's the other part of that choice? If you're going against AI fleets, they are bringing more than enough PD to completely neuter any GW you might have, and you'll likely deal with the same thing versus an observant and intelligent human player. Only an oblivious or overmatched AI or human is going to fail to counter GW. The choice is between using GW and pretty much always having it fail, or never getting to use it in a legitimate fight - that's a great set of options. With the suggestions above, GW become another viable tool in the toolkit, not an afterthought.

I get the sense from your first sentence that you're thinking about the more realistic scenario that GW would be the greater threat over kinetics or energy weapons, because they would be far more accurate, and that the focus would have to be PD cutting the number of hits by GW to a manageable level. But Stellaris doesn't have kinetic or energy attacks only hitting like 20% of the time or PD only taking out 90% of GW. Average unmodified damage per day has missiles trailing mass drivers and lasers, and the only reasons why missiles outpace the others in theory is due to base Accuracy of 100% (which can't improve) and the overly favorable shield penetration. But if they aren't able to get past withering PD fire, it doesn't matter what their damage might have been.

If GW get shot down half the time by PD, the scenario I outlined in the previous comment ends up with GW only doing 80% of the damage vs. a no-PD target. If you could somehow maintain a maximum of 75% shot down, net damage is down to 40% - maybe that's fair. But you can't keep it there, and 100% counter almost always happens, so it's never going to be a fair comparison.

Currently Stellaris combat works similar to real life - you find the advantage and hammer at it until enemy crumbles. There is no real balance between weapons - instead there are points where certain weapons are better than others and sometimes that changes depending on what tech you and your enemies get. Proposed changes would do nothing to alleviate that besides moving that place in which missiles and torpedoes are good to hammering on your enemy that forgot about PD or was tricked out of it. (They are also pretty good vs stations throughout the game).
The point of the OP changes isn’t to continue having GW hammer away with current no-PD damage rates once the PD weapons are removed, but to change the balance for GW to something closer to mass driver/laser or autocannon/plasma. If GW don’t hit a no-PD target as often as they do now (because of both a base Accuracy reduction and a component/module debuff), that’ll go a long way to balancing them out.

I just don't see the point of it. Balancing them against what? Other weapons/defenses already have similarly skewed relationships. They are just not that apparent due to them still dealing some damage. But, for example, when I built a fleet with all shields against an enemy who had no good anti-shield weapons on his fleet the battle was incredibly one sided - 3k vs 3k and I lost only 500 fleet power compared to opponent being able to salvage less than 1k. As long as you can scout ahead and have a dedicated shipyard base on hand you can skew most fights like this.

What will be the point of corvettes in the late game? I usually use them either to compensate for lack of PD on some of my bigger ships, where I traded PD potential for raw firepower, or to carry GWs. Why do I use GWs? Because in sufficient numbers, either some of them, or some strike craft will slip through and deal damage. PD does not neuter GW completely, I still see it dealing meaningful damage. And as Zoolimar said, I don't see the point in removing PD. You are trying to fix the problem that does not exist.

I honestly do appreciate that people have marked that they "respectfully" disagree with my post - it lets me know that there is something wrong with what I've written, hopefully something I can fix. But it's not terribly useful for understanding where we disagree with where Stellaris should go on this or any other topic. A comment indicating what in particular is the source of disagreement would make it easier to come up with an adjusted suggestion, assuming it's not that the commenter simply doesn't see the current situation as needing adjustment.

So I'll ask what the concerns are:
  1. Is the entire premise (PD can't be effectively balanced, so get rid of it and adjust from there) at odds with your thoughts on the game?
  2. Do the remaining advantages for GW (range, Accuracy/Tracking, "burst" damage) make you think that they would simply take over as the only real weapon option?
  3. Would the warhead options make GW too same-y versus energy or kinetic weapons?
  4. Do you think the component/module mechanic won't work?
  5. Do you have a strong concern about the exacerbation of the mono-fleet issue?
  6. Is the entire premise of the SC change (SC as vulnerable but persistent individual ships get replaced by damage-over-time objects over targets) at odds with your thoughts on the game?
  7. Do you think the Flak-side component/module mechanic won't work?
  8. Are the different options for SC craft and/or Hangar types a bad mechanic?
Again, I appreciate feedback on this and any other post I make, all the more if I get something constructive to work with. Thanks!

The reason I personally disagree is that It would be replacing a more unique weapon setup with a less unique one. While I do think balance should be made, I think it's primarily in the role and power of guided weapons/strike craft. You clearly have put some thought into this, but your main premise of "remove PD" makes me hit that x, no matter how good correlated ideas are, or the sentiment behind it. So, 1, 3, 5, 6.

In my opinion, Buff the tracking of guided weapons (accuracy is already at 100). Missiles should practically never miss corvettes, and torpedos should never miss Battleships. Make Torpedos Devastating if they hit, maybe a percentage of max hull instead of a fixed amount (so not OP vs smaller ships). A fleet of 80 Torp Vettes should absolutely demolish 10 Artillery Battleships. Re-separate Strike Craft into Fighters and Bombers. Fighters should be PD and anti-Corvette, Bombers anti-Capital ships. Make strike craft persist even after their carrier dies. Give them a longer range or pre-launch option so Carriers can alpha-strike artillery battleships.