• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XXVIII. Etienne
nHY8asy.png

Jerusalem, sighed Etienne. What joy Hugues the Great and the Crusaders must have felt when they saw it for the first time! The dream of their lives, so close, ready to fall into their hands.

Of course, the Crusade had taken place over two centuries ago. In the meantime, the small Fatimid town had become the capital of a powerful empire and its suburbs now extended far beyond its walls.

As for Etienne's army, it was not preparing to liberate the tomb of Christ from the Mohammedans, but to fight good Christians.
vsVcvIN.png

Duke Jean of Shammar, Prince Etienne, Mayor Bérenger the One-Eyed and Duke André the Giant of Oultrejordain

"Ten thousand, maybe twelve," said Jean of Shammar, pointing to the enemy army lined up in front of the southern suburbs.

“We have more men," said André the Giant.

“Not much more," said Etienne. “I still think we should wait for the Syrians or at least for His Majesty. My messenger left over a fortnight ago. If the king has heeded my advice, he should have abandoned the siege of Jaffa and should not be far from us.”

“No need," said Mayor Berenger the One-Eyed. The old man had that stern look typical of clerics and military men, which was quite fitting for a former Templar. The man seemed inflexible, and Etienne sometimes wondered why he had been excluded from the Order of the Temple. "Saint Etienne spoke to me in a dream and assured me of our victory. Do not doubt me, Your Highness.”

“I do not doubt you, Berenger," said Etienne, "nor your worth. Had I doubted you, I would not have insisted so much that His Majesty entrust you with the command of the army."

The One-Eyed's thin lips formed what must have been a smile. He may have presented himself as a paragon of virtue, but he was a proud man who was not difficult to flatter. In reality, Etienne was a poor commander and he knew it. He had no desire to lead his troops to defeat. The prince had nevertheless wanted to keep control of the situation, hence the appointment of Berenger, his vassal, to lead Onfroy's armies. But perhaps it is not necessary to tell the One-Eyed, the prince thought.

"And far be it from me to question the wisdom of our patron saint," continued Etienne. “I am not, however, in the habit of betting my head on a vision." And even less so on that of a one-eyed, bigoted commoner, he added to himself.

"This vision was however formal, our charge will break the Greek's army," replied Berenger who neither understood nor appreciated humour.

“Charge," said André the Giant, adjusting his helmet. That's a simple plan that works for me."

How surprising, thought Etienne.

"And if we can't break through the enemy line?”

“Then we will pray for Saint Etienne's help," said the One-Eyed.

“You mean Onfroy?”

-Same thing. If His Majesty arrives in time, we will owe it to God.

“Or to my messenger.”

“Whose sending was inspired by Providence.”

“You have an answer for everything.”

“Only God has the answer to everything," replied the old man.

“Enough theology for today," growled Duke André. “I take the centre, the honour of breaking the enemy army is mine.”

“I will command the right wing," said Jean of Shammar. Etienne had little desire to entrust him with this task. Ever since the king had tried to take Aqaba from him, the duke had never lost an opportunity to show his worth. Too much temerity could be dangerous on the battlefield. The prince could not say anything, however, as the noble's party was based on equality among the barons, and only the king had authority over the dukes.

“Well Mylords," said Berenger. "I will therefore take command of the left wing.”

“I will go with Duke André," Etienne announced as his squire handed him his weapons.

“You?" laughed the colossus. “You are not known for your valour with a sword.”

“I fought in the Greek campaign and was a marshal of the Empire for over a year," Etienne retorted. In reality, the prince had a lump in his stomach. In his youth, he had of course dreamed of great exploits, of becoming the equal of Roland or Duke Gerard III, he had even considered joining the Order of the Temple. Since then, he had grown up and understood that he would never accomplish any feats on the battlefield. He did his part, however, because the Frankish aristocracy remained a nobility of arms, and fighting was the surest way to keep the respect of his peers.

Everyone took their positions. The army that faced them did not seem to want to move. Etienne thought he saw a man holding a large banner move in front of the front ranks, but he gave no marching orders and soon moved back behind the lines.

The hostilities began with a volley of arrows fired at the imperials. Etienne hoped that some peasants would fall for it, but they did not react.

The prince remained at the head of the reserve while André launched the charge against the enemy army. For a while Etienne believed that the Imperials would give in, but the assault lost its momentum and the lines stabilised.
L5qd6pU.png

We do not have enough men to win. At best we will lose a lot of soldiers, and at worst... Saint-Etienne, if you want to intervene, it is now or never.

Had Berenger really had a vision? Was the patron saint protecting them? Had he listened to Etienne's prayer? In any case, it was at this very moment that a miracle took place.

From the west, hundreds of knights appeared. Bearing Onfroy’s banner, they charged the rear of the enemy right wing which was quickly swept away. The centre had no choice but to retreat and reposition itself to counter this threat. This created a gap with the left wing which, according to the banners Etienne saw, must have been commanded by King Jacques of Arabia. The Red soon gave up all hope of victory or even of taking refuge behind the city walls and retreated eastwards, pursued by the men of Jean of Shammar.
yiO9CbD.png

The imperial ost is in full rout.

It was so surreal that Etienne almost wanted to pinch himself. But it was no dream. The Greek's army was breaking up and only the centre was holding together, but was retreating towards the suburbs.

Oh, Father! What did you feel in Constantinople? Pride? Relief?

The prince ordered his men to charge. They came upon the few survivors who had been unable to retreat. Etienne's steed collided violently with an infantryman holding a Jerusalem banner.

Sadness?

The soldiers were promptly massacred and the nobles captured. Etienne then headed for the suburbs where the fighting continued to rage. Whoever was in command had made a good decision. There were plenty of alleys that could be easily defended by a handful of men, and even the main street leading to the Gate of Sion could be blocked with a few well-motivated pikemen.

When he entered the main street, Etienne discovered a real hell. The ground was littered with corpses and blood. Several houses had caught fire and he had great difficulty in calming his horse, which was frightened by the flames and smoke.

In the middle of the street, he finally reached André the Giant and his knights.

"Not too afraid to expose yourself, prince?" asked the colossus.

“You look like you could use some help," said Etienne, pointing to a hundred loyalist soldiers stationed in front of the Gate of Sion.

The Giant spat on the ground before lifting his war spear as if it were a mere twig.

"They are defending the gate so that the bulk of their troops can take refuge behind the walls. Several of our peasants have broken their teeth against these dogs.”

“Brave men," replied Etienne. “They are ready to give their lives to save their companions.”

“Fools," André retorted. “They should have closed the gate by now. When I have broken their line, I will enter the city and end this war.”

He lowered his spear and charged the defenders. Etienne lowered his visor and the world was soon reduced to this small opening. He launched his steed at full speed. The spear was heavy, but he concentrated all his strength to keep it in front of him.

The impact was extremely violent. His spear smashed through the skull of a churl but the impact made him drop it. He struggled to keep his seat. In front of him, the steed of André the Giant had just knocked down three men and was heading for the gate. Etienne got back on his saddle and followed him. They were so close... Archers were firing from the ramparts. So close... A knight on his right fell to the ground, pierced by several arrows. Close...

The portcullis closed abruptly Etienne heard the joy of the defenders, then the whinnying of a horse with its reins violently pulled and finally the crash of a knight hitting the portculliss. The prince managed to control his horse and turn back, as did André the Giant, who cursed the defenders, extending his huge fist towards them.

As Etienne moved away from the gate and the danger of the archers, he could only scream in rage. That portcullis had delayed the end of the war. They would have to lay siege to the city.

It was at this point that he heard cries of fright coming from the walls. A terror that contrasted with the joy that had seized his own men who were cheering and running through the streets.

“What's going on?" asked Etienne to one of the soldiers.

The man turned and smiled at him, revealing several snags. "Got him, m’lord! Captured him!"

Who? Etienne was about to ask, before realising that the question was unnecessary.

He knew who they had captured.
DkFEpjD.png

The defeat of Jerusalem and the capture of Emperor Jean I the Greek

Last edited:
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Quite a turnabout there! If the war score mechanics in CK3 are anything like in CK2, then capturing the leader of the opposing side means the rebels have just won the war.

Prince Etienne is quite the contrast to Emperor Jean -- a shrewd judge of character who knows how to play to his lords' egos, but also a man who is aware of his own limits.

Definitely going to keep my eye on André -- looking forward to seeing what kind of craziness his combination of brute strength and reckless bravado will cause :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
Quite a turnabout there! If the war score mechanics in CK3 are anything like in CK2, then capturing the leader of the opposing side means the rebels have just won the war.

Yes, I hesitated to add the warscore, but like in CK2, capturing the leader give you 100%.

Prince Etienne is quite the contrast to Emperor Jean -- a shrewd judge of character who knows how to play to his lords' egos, but also a man who is aware of his own limits.

That is indeed how I see it. His next PoV chapter will delve into the motivations of Etienne.... which, like his siblings, have their roots in his relationship with Hugh III.

Definitely going to keep my eye on André -- looking forward to seeing what kind of craziness his combination of brute strength and reckless bravado will cause :D

:D This is not the last time we will see André.

Reactions:
Chapter XXIX. Jean I the Greek
oZQTIyy.png

"Where are you taking me?" shouted Jean as he struggled. “Answer, traitor!" The guard ignored him and pulled on his irons to lead him down the stairs. They emerged into a small, dark corridor with an uneven floor.

"Let go of me! I am your emperor and you must obey me!” In response, the man opened a heavy wooden door and pushed him ruthlessly into a room.

"How dare you?" But the guard did not listen to him and closed the door violently. Jean rushed against it and hammered it with both fists shackled by the irons.

"By Saint Theodore! Open this door!"

He heard the sound of a key being turned in the lock. He only banged the door with more force, nearly breaking his wrists.

"Open up and I'll show you mercy," he pleaded, but there was no sound from behind the door. There was no one there.

Jean turned around and found a small, low-ceilinged room. The only source of light came from a narrow opening that let in the rays of the setting sun. The walls were made of rough white stone blocks and the earthen floor was uneven. There was a shabby bed, a rickety table and chair and a chamber pot in the corner of the room.

Jean would have been in one of the communal buildings found in every village in the Jerusalem area. They were under the responsibility of the raïs, the village chiefs whose title dated from before the Crusade. These buildings served as storage for the crops, as a meeting place for the council of elders or as accommodation for the agents of the crown who came to collect taxes. This room in particular seems to have been used as a cellar.

"Traitors!" shouted the emperor, kicking the chair as it flew across the room. “When I get out of here I will have you hanged!"

He continued to curse his jailers until the sun set. Exhausted, he finally sat down in silence on the bed covered with bedbugs.
CgUCAeo.png

Emperor Jean I the Greek

With a blank stare, he inspected his breastplate, still stained with the blood of battle. He wondered how he, the great emperor of Jerusalem who was still facing the enemy on the battlefield this morning, had come to this point.

How long did he wait in the dark, with only his failures for company? He had no idea.

Eventually he heard a key turn in the lock. He stood up abruptly and tried to strike a proud pose.

The door opened to reveal two maids.

"I demand to be let out!" ordered the emperor. The two women were obviously frightened, but they ignored him and entered the room in silence. They placed a tray overflowing with food on the table, lit candles and laid clothes on the bed.

“Do you think an emperor would stoop to putting on peasant's clothes?" asked Jean to one of the girls, who took fright.

“You are wasting your time”, said a man standing in the doorway. Like many peasant women, this young lady doesn't speak a word of French. And you should put on those clean clothes. Sometimes it is better to look like a manant than a defeated emperor.”

The man entered the room and, with a gesture, led the two young maids out.

“Jean of Shammar!" cried Jean. “Traitor! What are you doing here?”
b5quw6D.png

Duke Jean of Shammar

“It is my men who are in charge of your... protection," replied the former Imperial Chancellor. “Were you expecting someone else?”

“My uncle or the usurper.”

-Prince Etienne and King Onfroy plan to see you tomorrow," Shammar replied as he stepped into the centre of the room. “First they want to make sure that Jerusalem surrenders, which should happen soon.”
uxskIGt.png

“The Hierosolymitans will never accept the usurper! Unlike you, they have too much respect for the Empire!”

“The Empire means nothing to them," replied the Duke. “They follow the emperor, a man, not some abstract concept from the imagination of one of your Greek authors. And that man is a captive. They will not die for a prisoner.”

“Then they are traitors! As you are!”

“I have betrayed no one," replied the Duke. “It is I who have been betrayed, twice. The first of these betrayals is your work. Your despotic behaviour, your disdain for the barons, your fascination with the Greeks, even your ridiculous accent. You insult Jerusalem, its customs and its princes! You despise our laws, reject the Spirit of the Crusade, trample on the heritage of your forefathers! My mother's family has defended this kingdom since Hugues the Great, and my father's since Henri II. My ancestors sacrificed themselves for your family! And I should let you subdue their descendants? Despise their rights? Destroy their traditions? You are a traitor!"

The duke straightened the chair and planted it in front of the table. "Eat, you need your strength.”

“For my execution?" asked Jean.

“What execution?" sneered Shammar. “I told you, we are not in Constantinople. We don't execute our rulers. We don't blind them, we don't castrate them... we don't overthrow them. We even take care to preserve their honour.”

“By locking them in a cellar?”

“Your capture was a surprise to everyone, including us. And we have run out of beautiful residences to lock you up in. Don't worry, if you accept Etienne and Onfroy's conditions, you will soon be back in your beautiful palaces, your silks and your exquisite food. You are still the emperor, Your Majesty. You will soon be a puppet in Etienne's hands, but an imperial puppet."

The duke moved towards the door with a quiet step. "I must leave you, Your Majesty. I must inspect my men guarding the Tanners' gate. They tend to doze off or get drunk.”

“Shammar!” Jean pointed to his irons. “Am I supposed to eat and dress with my fists tied?"

The Duke turned and smiled at him. "Drink some wine, Your Majesty. A great vintage from Aqaba. You will love it." He turned on his heels and left.

Confused, Jean stared at the door for some time. Eventually, however, he sat down and grabbed a loaf of bread. At first he feared that it was poisoned, but his stomach tortured him and he took a bite. No sooner had he swallowed it than a bestial hunger seized him. Despite his chains, he threw himself on the bread and cheese and devoured them in an instant. When he was full, he grabbed the cup of wine and drank it down .... before he was seized by a violent coughing fit.

Poison, he thought, before realising that he had swallowed something cold and metallic. His coughing increased and he found it harder and harder to breathe. He put two fingers in his mouth and regurgitated his entire meal. Finally he was able to take a deep breath of air and thanked God for it. It took him a while to come to his senses, but when he felt better he discovered a key in his vomit.

He rushed at it and clumsily tried to open his handcuffs. In panic, he had to try several times, but finally freed himself.

No sooner had the chains fallen to the ground than he rushed to the door with the key. He tried feverishly to insert it in the lock... without success. It was too small.

He was about to collapse in despair when he remembered that he hadn't heard the lock click when Shammar had left. Holding his breath, he turned the handle... and the door opened.

Traitor, thought Jean. The emperor peeked through the doorway. He expected to find a guard posted in front of it... but the dark corridor was deserted.

He was about to run out the door when he remembered the Duke's words. Sometimes it is better to look like a manant than a defeated emperor.

Jean returned to the bed and got rid of his armour. It was not an easy task, but when it was done, he hastily put on the tunic. He now looked like any other villain.
hzSkQQx.png

The escape attempt

With his heart pounding, the emperor ventured down the corridor. He moved slowly, taking care not to make any noise. He soon reached the stairs and climbed them without making a sound. When he reached the ground floor, he expected to come face to face with a room full of guards. In reality, there was not a soul in sight. He could hear singing and laughter, but it was coming from the upper floor. The guards must have been having a good time with the wine of Aqaba.

Jean hurried outside. He pulled his hood down tightly, but the village was almost deserted and the few guards he passed paid him no attention. He hurried into the shadows of the narrow streets and, stepping over some fences and palisades, soon found himself outside the village.

He ran breathlessly across the fields. When he thought he had gone far enough, he turned to look at the hamlet. He burst out laughing madly. He had succeeded, he had played with fate!

When he had finally calmed down, he turned towards Jerusalem. A huge army surrounded the city. For a moment he hesitated to turn back. Perhaps he could go west, to Jaffa or Ascalon? Or to the east, to find Jacques and the remnants of his army?

But he remembered what Shammar had said, if he was thought to be a prisoner, Jerusalem would surrender. And without the Holy City, he would definitely lose. He had to get in... but how? All the gates were probably well guarded by the rebels and...

Tanners’ Gate! The revelation made him burst out laughing.

Traitor, he thought as he set off.
hB1Y1J3.png

"I am Free!"

• 2Love
Reactions:
OK, that turn of events genuinely surprised me! Here I thought that the war was all over but the shouting, and suddenly the Greek manages to worm his way out of captivity with the help of friends in unlikely places. That's still a far cry from winning the war outright, but as long as Jerusalem itself stands and the Emperor remains within its walls, he still has a fighting chance of winning this.

And I see I'll have to start keeping a closer eye on Jean of Shammar as well. He's clearly trying to play both sides of the conflict here, and I'm not entirely convinced his motives for helping the Greek escape are purely benevolent...

• 1Like
Reactions:
OK, that turn of events genuinely surprised me! Here I thought that the war was all over but the shouting, and suddenly the Greek manages to worm his way out of captivity with the help of friends in unlikely places. That's still a far cry from winning the war outright, but as long as Jerusalem itself stands and the Emperor remains within its walls, he still has a fighting chance of winning this.

And I see I'll have to start keeping a closer eye on Jean of Shammar as well. He's clearly trying to play both sides of the conflict here, and I'm not entirely convinced his motives for helping the Greek escape are purely benevolent...

I was surprised too when I played :D

As for Jean of Shammar, he was really pissed by Onfroy's desire to seize his counties in the kingdom of Jerusalem.

I'll post the next chapter tomorrow. It will be the last one of the 3rd book. I will then take a short break (1 or 2 weeks maximum) before posting the 4th and final book.

Reactions:
Chapter XXX. Etienne
qSR0QG0.png

When the sun set, the streets were covered with blood. As a young man, Etienne had been marked by the description of the three days of slaughter that followed the capture of Jerusalem. The chroniclers described, with a mixture of horror and fascination, the rivers of blood that were shed. 212 years later, the scene was repeated.

“Was this really necessary?" the prince asked King Onfroy, who was walking ahead of him.
uFevZT8.png

Onfroy

“You know it was," said his cousin in a tone that showed no emotion. “My men have suffered for months, they must be rewarded. As for the inhabitants, they dared to resist and they must be punished. Rest assured, the soldiers mainly attacked the Jewish and Greek quarters. I have forbidden ransacking the churches and the looting will stop long before the notables suffer too much."

A small consolation, Etienne thought, as he looked away from a pile of bodies lying in front of a wealthy house.

They finally arrived at the imperial palace. The fighting had been particularly fierce at the entrance to the austere building, but Onfroy's soldiers, recognisable by the Safarga coat of arms sewn onto their surcoat, had moved the dead bodies and formed a guard of honour to welcome the king.

As he passed the door, Etienne remembered that it was here that his destiny had been decided.

His first eight years had been the best of his life. Father was so happy to have legitimate children that he had pampered Etienne and his sisters, granting them all the honours denied to their half-brothers and sisters. There were even whispers that the Glorious intended to disinherit the children of Maria Komnenos and designate the prince as his heir.

Then came that fateful day when, on the steps of the imperial palace, his mother hugged him tightly. He had not understood why she was sobbing so hard. He did not know about her affair with the Duke of Cairo, nor about her disgrace. And that day he hadn't realised that he was seeing her for the last time.
C0LuUUh.png

Empress Athanasia run away (1281)

After the empress's flight, the prince's world fell apart. Suspicion had crept into the mind of the Glorious and Etienne was never nicknamed the Heir. The emperor turned his attention back to his two eldest children, Jean and Agathe, while Etienne, marked by the suspicion of bastardy and despised by his father, shared the fate of his half-brothers Hugues and Henri.

Look at me, Father. Look at me. See how the "bastard" has triumphed over your heir.

Despite his inner bravado, Etienne was not at ease as he walked through the Kings' Gallery. The rulers depicted on the tapestries seemed to be judging him. He brushed aside this thought as they pushed open the door to the great hall.

It was in a gloomy atmosphere that Onfroy and Etienne crossed the room to the imperial throne where Jean I the Greek was seated surrounded by the empress Theodora, the crown prince Jean and the patriarch Gilbert of Puy du Fou.
ywQx7F1.png

Empress Theodora, Corwn prince Jean, Emperor Jean I the Greek and Patriarch Gilbert

The emperor wore all the imperial symbols, including the crown. He still exuded a certain presence, but his features were drawn and his shoulders hunched. It was an angry but broken man they had before them.

"Your Majesty," said Onfroy as he reached the foot of the throne. “It is an honour to see you at last after the tragedies that have befallen the Holy Land.”

“Tragedies of which you are the cause, Duke Onfroy," replied the Greek. “And you forget yourself by not bowing to your emperor.”

“I am a duke, Your Majesty," replied Onfroy, "but it is only fitting that you address me by my principal title, that of King of Jerusalem. Your respect for me will be paid in return by my submission, as well as that of my faithful followers.”

“Faithful?" Jean repeated mockingly. “Where is Jean of Shammar? He is the only one of your lords who could claim that quality.”

“I'm afraid we don't agree on that," said Onfroy. “Shammar has returned to his land... in Surrah, in Arabia. His... initiative caused him to lose Aqaba and Tamuk."

Idiot, thought Etienne, thinking of Shammar. He had always been quite close to the duke, and he had done everything possible to convince Onfroy to give up trying to seize his titles. And Etienne would have succeeded if Shammar had not betrayed the king.

“I owe this man and I cannot let you treat him like this," said Jean.

“And yet that's what you'll do," said Etienne. “You are no longer in a position to negotiate, nephew. And what has he done but prolong this war by a few months? This adventure was useless and without it, many brave men would be alive today.”

“Etienne, come on," said Onfroy with a smile. “You insult the exploits of our emperor. Such an adventure deserves its place among the deeds of our family. I am sure that His Holiness Gilbert will be pleased to write about it in his book."

Onfroy's smile faded as he slowly ascended the steps to the throne. "But the Prince is quite right in one respect, Your Majesty. You are no longer in a position to negotiate."

He stopped in front of the emperor, whom he towered over. "You have lost."

Hatred was not a foreign feeling to Etienne. He had seen men consumed by anger before, and more than once he had felt intense rage against those who had opposed him. But never in his life had he seen a look so full of hatred as the one the Greek was giving Onfroy. His nephew seemed to be making a heroic effort not to throw himself on the king and strangle him.

Instead, the emperor slowly opened his hands to welcome Onfroy's, who knelt down.

"Onfroy of House Montoire," said Jean in a trembling voice. “Do you wish to become my man without reserve?”

“I do," replied Onfroy.

The two men embraced, and then Onfroy declared, "I promise in my faith to be faithful from this moment on to the Emperor Jean and to keep my homage to him against all and entirely, in good faith and without deceit."

At last, Etienne thought. After so many years and so many sacrifices.

Emperor Jean released his vassal's hands and then, in a defeated voice, spoke the long-awaited words.

"Rise, King Onfroy."​

r3GrT9z.png

Defeat

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
"In good faith and without deceit..." Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts. I get the feeling that this is less of a final peace than an armistice while both factions retrench and prepare their next move. Defeated as he is, Emperor Jean still has his own loyal followers, after all...

There's a certain dark irony in the most brutal sack of Jerusalem in living memory being inflicted not by foreign infidel invaders but by their own lords. A tragedy all round, that the arrogance and intransigence of their own rulers should cause the empire's people to suffer like this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would be very unhappy if I were the emperor... or player character.

:D I was, I was.

"In good faith and without deceit..." Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts. I get the feeling that this is less of a final peace than an armistice while both factions retrench and prepare their next move. Defeated as he is, Emperor Jean still has his own loyal followers, after all...

There's a certain dark irony in the most brutal sack of Jerusalem in living memory being inflicted not by foreign infidel invaders but by their own lords. A tragedy all round, that the arrogance and intransigence of their own rulers should cause the empire's people to suffer like this.

Yes, without spoiling too much, book 4 will show that the hatreds are too deep and the nobles of Jerusalem too restless, for peace to last.

The sack of Jerusalem is indeed ironic. It is the first time the city has been taken since 1099, and it is the work of nobles who claim to be the true defenders of the city.

This is great stuff @Werther, so great I've nominated you for WritAAR of the Week, I'm looking forward to the next chapter

Thank you so much! It was unexpected as I was taking a break between books 3 and 4.

---

By the way, the break is almost over. I'm working on the last 10 chapters which are particularly... eventful. It's not easy to finish each character's arc. Anyway, the first chapter of book 4 will be published in the first week of October.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you for this wonderful work. You are able to write better in at least two languages than I can any. Congratulations on Mount Fuji. What was accomplished by this war if Jean is still Emperor, even if Onfroy is King?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you for this wonderful work. You are able to write better in at least two languages than I can any.

Thank you, that's so kind, I'm blushing. Writing is hard enough, but in another language it can be hell :D. I'm impressed by how fast you have read everything.

Congratulations on Mount Fuji.

Haha, I was aching for a fortnight, but now I'm happy. Not twice though, as the saying goes "A wise man will climb Fuji once, only a fool climbs it twice".

Thank you for this wonderful work. You are able to write better in at least two languages than I can any. Congratulations on Mount Fuji. What was accomplished by this war if Jean is still Emperor, even if Onfroy is King?

Jean is still emperor, but he lost the oldest and most prestigious title of the Montoire dynasty (if you want to read more about the family history, I wrote a short prequel). He has also lost all his counties except Jerusalem (and thus their revenues and levies) and all the lords of the kingdom of Jerusalem are no longer his direct vassals, so he is considerably weakened. And the lords will take advantage of this situation...

Reactions:
Just a quick message to let you know that the writing is going well but that I'm a little behind schedule. Book IV is coming soon!

Reactions:
BOOK IV - Chapter XXXI. Jean I the Greek
NGczubT.png

WM3AJwG.png

"Your Majesty?"

The servant's voice was soft and calm. To the emperor's ears, however, it sounded aggressive and boisterous. It broke the graceful melody of the waves crashing at the foot of the Palace of the Broken.

"Your Majesty?"

Since the capture of Jerusalem, Jean had not been able to sleep so easily, and only the sound of the backwash soothed him. So he spent most nights on the terrace facing the sea. The rolling of the waves lulled him, and sometimes he managed to fall asleep.

"Your Majesty?"

Why wasn't he left alone? Wasn't that the reason he had chosen to come and live here? His great-grandfather Hugues II the Broken had built this palace in the time of the Black Years to withdraw from the world. He too wanted to be alone, far from wars, plots and traitors...

"Your Majesty?”

“What?" asked the irritated emperor.

“The... the King of Arabia," stammered the servant. “King Jacques is here... he requests an audience."

Jean gave a long sigh in reply. With one hand, he beckoned the servant to let Jacques the Red in.

Jean heard the king of Arabia, but, with his eyes still fixed on the Moon whose rays made the waves glitter, he neither rose nor turned.

"Thank you for receiving me, Your Majesty," said Jacques in his deep voice. Jean did not answer. By ignoring his marshal, he still hoped that the latter would leave him in peace.

This was to misunderstand the king of Arabia who, far from admitting defeat, came to stand before the emperor. In his large hands he held a coffer decorated with the Montoires arms.
jE7LrQf.png

King Jacques the Red of Arabia

“You are blocking my view, Jacques," Jean said simply.

“It is no longer time to lose yourself in your dreams, Your Majesty," replied Jacques the Red.

Unlike Jean, defeat had not shaken the King of Arabia. He still exuded an unshakeable strength. The emperor could not help but notice the look in his eyes. He could discern a hint of pity, disappointment and even disgust.

“What do you want, Jacques?" he asked in a weary voice.

“I wish to take my leave, Sire. Duty calls me to Arabia.”

“You don't need my permission to abandon me.”

“I am not abandoning you," Jacques retorted. “On the contrary, I intend to restore order among my vassals and prepare my troops for the day when you will need me.”

“Useless..." Jean gasped.

“Not useless," Jacques retorted. “We must react. You must react. Your place is not here, but in Jerusalem, in the Imperial Palace.”

“What would I do there?" asked Jean . “The traitors have left me the city... officially. In fact, 'King' Onfroy occupies the Imperial Palace and the imperial council is now an empty shell. Etienne and the royal council make all the decisions. I am only a puppet emperor in the hands of these traitors... barely good enough to put his seal on their decisions." Jean rubbed his eyes. He was so tired. "No, I do well to stay in the Palace of the Broken, to finish my life peacefully, like my great-grandfather.”

“Like Hugues II? Mocked? Scorned?" asked Jacques with a touch of disdain. “You must react!”

“How?" asked Jean in a breath. Gaza, Tripoli, Beirut, I lost all my counties. Even Jaffa! I practically had to humiliate myself to keep this palace. My income is barely enough to finance the court.”
Z1jFInb.png

The five counties lost by the emperor. The imperial domain is limited to the capital, Jerusalem

“You still have your vassals.”

“All the lords of the Crown of Jerusalem, even those who had remained loyal to me, are now Onfroy's liegemen.”
BBu5OrE.png

King Onfroy of Jerusalem

“You have allies. Your aunt is the head of the Greek Empire!”

“I no longer have any connection with Constantinople," sighed Jean. Etienne dismissed my ambassador and appointed Catherine in his place. She hates Agathe, conciliation with the Greeks is no longer on the agenda. And even if I did manage to contact Agathe, what could she possibly do? I am told that she has managed to make peace with one of her enemies, a certain Akab who proclaims himself king .... but this has cost her a third of her empire. My aunt has only a handful of soldiers left to put down my cousin and my mother who want to take her crown...“
YyBIjmV.png

The Byzantine Empire

“At least she is fighting.”

“A futile resistance. She will learn it, as I did…”

“She shows courage and strength of character. She is the worthy heir of the Montoires, and it is you who should learn from her.”

Jean raised his head to look into Jacques' eyes.

“I don't like your tone or your insinuations," he said coldly. “You forget who I am.”

“What about you? Don't you forget who you are?”

“I will not allow you to speak to me like that. I am the emperor of Jerusalem!"

For the first time, Jacques smiled.

"So you still have an ounce of pride left," said the King of Arabia, clearly pleased. He handed him the coffer.

"What is this?”

“Open up," Jacques told him.

Inside it, the emperor discovered a crown full of decorations.
aZA5kYm.png

The High Crown of Jerusalem

“My grandfather's crown," says Jean. “I thought it was in Jerusalem.”

“I asked a servant to take it when we left the capital.”

“Why? I already have a crown.”

"A vulgar Greek jewel," Jacques grinned. “It can in no way be compared with the High Crown."

Jean turned it over and over in his hands.

“Too busy, badly balanced," he said. “It looks like several crowns attached to each other.”

“Its value does not come from its beauty," sighed the Red, "but from what it represents for the Franks... “

“... the Empire?”

“Not only that," replied Jacques. “You are right in one respect. When he had it forged, more than 35 years ago, your grandfather Hugues III the Glorious asked that it combine elements of the Three Crowns of Jerusalem.”

“The Three Crowns?”

“Your ignorance of your own history never ceases to amaze me," Jacques said with a sigh. “The kingdom of Jerusalem has known three crowns. The first was worn by Hugues the Great himself when he was elected King of Jerusalem by the Crusaders. It was a gift, it is said, from his brother Philip, King of France. Is this true? I cannot say, but it is indeed adorned with the fleur-de-lis of the Capetian house.”

Jean admired the lilies that had been forged on the High Crown.

"Out of respect for the founder of your house, no other ruler of Jerusalem wore the Crown of the Great which was displayed in the Holy Sepulchre... until your grandfather crowned your aunt Agathe with it.”
Hv1zXB8.png

The Crown of the Great

“She still wears it," Jean remembered. “He must really love his daughter…”

“Or consider that a crown of a conqueror could only go to a conqueress." Jacques pointed to one of the rubies in the High Crown. "These jewels are supposed to represent the Crown of the Wise. Since Henri I did not want to wear his father's crown, he made a new one. Three other kings wore it.”

“Where is it?“

“This is the Crown of the Wise that your uncle stole to put on Onfroy's head."
HbPMa8H.png

The Crown of the Wise

Jean felt a surge of anger. "And the last one?”

“The crown of the Glorious," replied the Red. “Your grandfather sought in every way to distinguish himself from his father Hugues II the Broken, so he had his own crown forged. The golden circle that adorns the High Crown represents it. He only wore it for about twenty years and gave it up when he was elevated to the rank of emperor. It was given to your uncle Hugues II the Dark. It now belongs to Hugues III the White, King of Mesopotamia. It is nevertheless represented on the High Crown by this golden circle.”
luR7yl2.png

The Crown of the Glorious

“Why are you telling me all this? What does it matter? It's just an object, a symbol.”

“A symbol of power. And symbols of power are power”

“So? It's an imperial crown, not the royal crown that Onfroy stole from me.”

“Have you been listening to what I've been telling you? This crown represents much more than the Empire. Hugues III asked for a crown representing his heritage, each of his predecessors, those rulers who came to the Levant to carve out a kingdom for themselves by force. The High Crown represents Jerusalem, Kingdom or Empire.”

“I am an emperor, not a king," Jean retorted.

“You are mistaken, Your Majesty. You are not merely Emperor of Jerusalem. Give up this imperial mirage that the Greeks have stuffed into your head. You are supposed to be King of Jerusalem. Onfroy did not usurp this title from you, you gave it up. Assume what you are, Sire! A Frankish prince!"

Jean answered nothing. He admired the crown, feeling an irresistible urge to wear it. He felt the desire to kill them all, the Frankish lords, Etienne, Onfroy... all of them!

But eventually he closed the coffer and pitifully lowered his head.

"Go, my lord," he breathed as he sat back down. “You already have my blessing to return to your lands."

Jacques did not move. Still standing before the emperor, he insisted.

"I had hoped to convince you to embrace your heritage and take back what is rightfully yours. I have not succeeded, but I will not allow your lineage to falter. If you refuse to listen to reason, then your son and heir is our only hope. I wish to take him with me. He is almost 9, and old enough to be my squire. I will make him a true Frankish ruler. If you wish to give up, so be it, but do not deprive your son of an education worthy of his ancestors."
TKIjIcQ.png

Crown Prince Jean

An icy silence fell over the terrace.

“The Empress will probably be opposed to it..." sighed Jean . “But so be it. I'll grant you this request. Now get out of here, I want to be at peace."

Jacques bowed and left the emperor alone on the terrace.

He tried to regain his composure by admiring the moon and letting himself be lulled by the waves... but his mind was irrevocably drawn to the coffer and its contents. The High Crown....

The most prestigious of the four Crowns of the Levant.​

Last edited:
  • 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Jean may need a bit more than hope to overcome his ennemies ;), but yes, Jacques managed to rekindle the flame.

Reactions:
Looking forward to seeing the emperor strike back.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter XXXII. Agathe
hr3MlVZ.png

Built on a hill only a few leagues from Philippopolis, one of the largest cities in the Empire, the monastery of Saint Erasmus was, in times of peace, a popular place for pilgrims. They came to adore its many relics and admire its architecture, which blends Greek and Bulgarian influences.

Today, however, the building looked gloomy and ominous, a feeling reinforced by the threatening sky and the thunderstorm that was rumbling in the distance. Agathe and her escort were alone on the road leading to it.

"I don't trust this place," said Pulcheria Doukas as they approached. She kept giving worried glances around, as if expecting an ambush. "You should have at least brought a bigger escort.”
pLwGtks.png

Duchess Pulchreria Doukas, Head of the Imperial House

“The conditions were clear," replied Agathe. “We cannot take more than two guards with us.”

“The place is too isolated, and we are so close to Philippopolis, the capital of Dorothea's supporters... it could be an ambush.”

“The monastery is more than two leagues from the city," corrected Agathe. “And this meeting is under the protection of the Jerusalem Empire, my niece will not dare to try anything against us.”

“You are quite confident, Your Majesty," replied Pulcheria in a reproachful tone. “I fear for your safety."

Agathe smiled. She was reassured to see Pulcheria so worried about her. Since the treaty with Akbar and the loss of her Anatolian lands, the head of the Imperial Household had been holding some grudges against the empress. Philippos kept warning her against Doukas and asking her to dismiss her from the council. Agathe, however, did not wish to alienate one of the most powerful ladies of the Empire and she had never had any complaints about her services.

"You should be more concerned about your cousin…”

“Hippolytos?" asked Pulchérie. “I told you, he is ready to take your side.”

“For good this time," she said, thinking back to the day when Chancellor Hippolytos Doukas betrayed her to join Dorothea.
6uixK2k.png

The War of the Three Empresses

They soon arrived in front of the monastery where the abbot and a handful of monks were waiting. They dismounted and Agathe ordered her two men-at-arms to wait for them outside. The empress and Pulcheria followed the abbot who led them to the chapter house where the meeting was to take place.

As she entered the vast, dark room, the empress was greeted by the announcement of a herald: "Princess Agathe of Montoire."

Agathe saw Pulchérie tense up, but she ordered her not to make a fuss. The empress did not want to spoil the talks over a title. She crossed the empty room and came to sit on one of the four chairs arranged around a large round table. Pulcheria stood behind her.

“Dear sister," said the man sitting on her left in a honeyed voice. “I am so happy to see you.”

“An unrequited pleasure, Hugues," replied the empress.

“Ougos," corrected his bastard brother, his eternal smile on his lips.
cB3zFeX.png

Ougos Antaolikos (Hugues the Bastard)

“I am surprised that Helena sent you. I would have expected to see her, or at least Dorotheos Ouranos or another of her despots.

“The Empress and the Domestic of the Schools are far too busy to attend a princess meeting," Ougos cackled.

Agathe was about to retort when the herald announced the arrival of her niece.

"Princess Raymonde, daughter of the late Empress Dorothea, and the Logothete of the Drome Hippolytos Doukas."
OAng3sT.png

Princesse Raymonde of Montoire and Duke Hippolytos Doukas

Dressed entirely in black, Raymonde's features were marked by mourning, her complexion was livid, cadaverous. Agathe was no less struck by her resemblance to her brother the emperor Jean. The empress's niece came and sat down on the chair opposite her. Logothete Doukas remained standing, one step behind the princess.

Raymonde's arrival had only increased the unease and tension. Even Ougos did not dare to say a word, and the silence seemed to last forever.

They were saved by the herald who announced the arrival of the ambassador from Jerusalem: "Her Majesty the Queen Mother Catherine of Bartanay".
2FYXF4Q.png

La reine-mère Catherine de Bartanay

While Agathe had dressed in knitwear, her sister-in-law had not skimped on the silks. Her appearance was nothing short of regal, and her arrogant bearing spoke of how pleased she was with her new role. The look she gave Agathe was unmistakable in the hatred she still felt for her. The empress knew that Jean's defeat meant a weakening of her cause in Jerusalem, but she had still been surprised by the appointment of Catherine, one of her greatest rivals. The latter did not go to Constantinople immediately, but to Philippopolis. The political message sent by Onfroy and Etienne had at least had the merit of being clear.

Much more pleasant - and unexpected - was the discovery of the man of the cloth who accompanied Catherine. They had not seen each other for fourteen years and he was now a tonsured man, but she immediately recognised her nephew Hugues the By-Blow whom she liked so much. This feeling was shared by the big smile that lit up his face when he saw her.
LmnY5lA.png

Hugues the By-Blow

Catherine sat down on the last of the chairs, while Hugues the By-Blow took his place behind a desk. He took a sheet of parchment and a quill, ready to take notes of the meeting.

“Dear friends," began Catherine. “I would like to begin by expressing the gratitude of King Onfroy and Emperor Jean to you. Their Majesties are grateful to you for agreeing to this meeting. An event that Dorothea Komnenos would surely have wanted. I would like to begin this day with a tribute to the mother of Emperor Jean. Her death was a tragedy, but her soul has now joined Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.”
VZ6sn0J.png

The Late Dorothea Komnenos

These few words seemed to touch Raymonde who, with her eyes closed and her hands clasped, said a prayer. Much less convincing was the mourning of Ougos.

"The death of this illustrious woman saddens us today”, Catherine continued. “But perhaps it will have a meaning tomorrow, by allowing us to obtain peace. This is in any case the dearest wish of Their Majesties Onfroy and Jean, who offer themselves as impartial intermediaries to resolve your differences…”

“Impartial?" laughed Ougos. “Your emperor is the brother of Princess Raymonde and the nephew of Princess Agathe…”

“And your nephew," added Catherine. “He is also cousin to the Princess Helena whom you serve. The Council of Jerusalem is neutral in this conflict for the Greek crown.”

“Raymonde," intervened Agathe, addressing her niece directly. “Despite our differences, the death of your mother, my own sister-in-law, has touched me. I know how much the Princess Do…”

“The Empress Dorothea," Raymonde cut her off curtly. “My mother, God rest her soul, was crowned by a bishop recognised by Germanos II, the only legitimate patriarch of Constantinople. And she did not recognise you, her crown must go to someone of her blood.”

“You, I presume?" asked Ugos with a smile.

Raymonde gave him a cold look.

"I respect the rules of succession of the Empire. I am its first born, but a woman.”

“If you wish to respect his will and the name of the Komnenoi, says Ougos, you should support Her Majesty Helena I, a true Komnenos, the offspring of your mother's brother and the legitimate granddaughter of Basileus Pantaleon. A woman who shares your faith and whose numerous troops are massed on your border.”
I33T2Sv.png

Helena I Komnenos

“Is that a threat?" Raymonde asked coldly. “My mother's rightful heir is my elder brother, Jean."

A cold chill fell over the room, even Hippolytos Doukas did not seem comfortable.

“The masks are falling off!" said Ougos indignantly. “So the court of Jerusalem, supposedly neutral in this matter, wishes to turn our empire into a mere province of the Holy Land.”

“Sir," Catherine intervened, "the Jerusalem Council is firmly opposed to such a solution."

Raymonde frowned, clearly displeased with this refusal from Jerusalem.

“The rules of succession are clear," she said.

“Perhaps we can find a compromise," said Catherine. “The emperor cannot accept the crown of Constantinople... he can, however, accept the lands that Dorothea held in her own right, as well as all those who swore loyalty to her.”

“Ignominy," said Pulcheria indignantly. “The empire of the Romans does not follow the rules of the Latins! This is not a cake that you can cut up and distribute as you please!”

“Wasn't it your empress who offered a piece of it to that Arab wren?" asked Catherine with a cruel smile. The wound in which the Queen Mother was turning the knife was still painful, and Agathe sensed Pulcheria's anger.

"I refuse!" Everyone turned to Hippolytos Doukas. "With all due respect to you and your mother, Princess Raymonde, I cannot agree to recognize the suzerainty of Jerusalem." He walked around the table and dropped to one knee before Agathe. "If you are willing to grant me your forgiveness, I will recognise you as the true empress, and all the lords who have followed me."

Ougos laughed loudly. "Once a turncoat, always a turncoat. I refuse to take part in this charade for another second.” He stood up abruptly and walked away.

Catherine ignored the incident and turned to Agathe.

"Sister-in-law, do you accept the cession of Philippopolis to Emperor Jean?”

“What will I gain?”

“Support from Jerusalem.”

“Armed support?”

“You know well that this is impossible... understand that your cause is not viewed favourably in Jerusalem. Make this sacrifice and King Onfroy will not stand in your way."

Agathe pouted in disgust. She looked into Catherine's eyes.

"I see that your hatred for me has not been extinguished. Has the death of your husband, my brother, under the walls of Constantinople made this matter personal to you?"

For a second, Agathe saw a glint of hatred in Catherine's eyes. But she kept her composure.

“Childishness," she swept aside. There's nothing personal here, and even if there was, my husband's death for you and your crown should make me support your cause.”

“During the events in Jerusalem, you pledged allegiance to those who conspired against my cause. To the rebels…”

“To the authorities," cut in Catherine. “And you misjudge me, Agathe. The only thing that matters to me is my son. And King Hugues III the White is not your enemy... accept our help."

Hugues the By-Blow went around the table and handed a parchment to Raymonde who, without hesitation, affixed her seal to it. He then took it to Agathe who took it. She read the terms of the treaty with a heavy heart.

"I have no choice," she murmured, taking out her seal.

Pulcheria turned on her heels and stormed out of the room, while Agathe set her seal, ceding Philippopolis to the Jerusalem Empire.

A terrible decision. But she was willing to do anything to save her crown... even make peace with Catherine.
3nQ4VRu.png

Emperor Jean inherits Philippopolis

• 2Love
Reactions:
A very Byzantine mess in more ways than one. The dénouement though is that Jean suddenly has more crown lands and troops to call on when round two with his rebellious barons begins.

• 2Like
Reactions: