EU4 Dev Clash #11 - Baltic Elephants - Tuesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well this may partly be due to players spawning institutions in Asia
Even AI can do that. Spawning institutions and spreading them are too easy.

Catching up on printing press would require us Burgundians to read books.
Something we can't do in peace because our italians and Spanish neighbours keep asking us to arbitrate their disputes.
If you didn’t betray your good old friend in Northern-North Africa at first war, then second war didn’t happen.

Also, most of Burgundian provinces believe Protestant and Protestant spreads printing press fast whether you are in peace or not. Well, this is only 1554, so that printing press doesn’t affect technology much.

these Hormuz/Gujarat borders.... i missed that. (good job on getting that card from timmy!)
Norway getting revenge in Scotland... why are they not on player map? is the AI better?
Dai viet is keeping a low profile, but i'm sure they can pull something off and get some points this age.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but the Burdgundutch may have a hard time next session. With the Italians keeping Burgundy occupied, and Bratyn having to exert pressure on Kaiser Johan, Pomerania and cohorts won't find it very difficult to siege down Amsterdam or even Themerdam with some proper timing. There's amazing (non-HRE) land to be had in the low countries, and just taking Ostfriesland will make a dent in Bratyn's control of the English Channel. Just line up the pieces, and make it happen. Burgundy and the Netherlands are straight coasting to victory - time for them to have their first setback this Clash!

Also rooting for Ethiopia and Hormuz (soon to be Persia) to kick the Gujaratis back to India! Should be an interesting war...

Last edited:
I'm definitely wondering how Sidestep managed that much AE (even eating non-cobeligerants, that's /a lot/) - did he trucebreak or no-cb somebody? Or just no -AE ideas/nothing to help it cool down? And also why he didn't just keep cycling them, as it looked like only 4 nations. Either way, maybe a little more caution was in order. . .

Blondie looks like the flip side of that, with an excess of caution. Why is there still so much Mamluk land sitting uneaten? Seems a shame to waste resources fighting Otto for Cairo when it looked like it would have been perfectly viable to take it (or at least block Ottos off from it) earlier on. And the same with not locking down former Mogadishu lands - unless that was a deal with Gujarat, hardly seems like they should have been able to get in there? AE/rebel issues/splitting peacedeals with Hormuz could always be limiting, but I'm still surprised the two of them haven't marked off + claimed more land. Not that they aren't doing well, but that Ottoblob just seems to get scarier.

Italy is in something of a tough place, not a lot of room to expand, especially with Burgundy seemingly interested in keeping Castile alive. With better coordination, they might have beaten Ottos, but they seem to be fighting tough wars for minimal gain. Seems like they really need to make a deal with some of the others who have an interest in Otto's land - or seeing Ottos weakened - like Ethiopia, Hormuz, or Theodoro. Without that, it seems like they're doomed to be out-expanded by those around them.

Marketing is another team that seems like they have a lot of potential, but seem to be held back by something - either a lack of coordination or lack of aggression. Both PLC and Muscovy should be free land if they're working together well, unless they have a lot fewer total troops than I'm estimating.

At the moment, it looks like Burgundy, Netherbritannia, Malwa, and Gujurat are the real power-players here. Will be interesting to see if the Malwa-Gujurat alliance holds, or if Trin is looking to form a proper Hindustan and unite the subcontinent.

KaiserJohan still has a chance to come back, depending on what he can manage to do during truces, but if Portugal and Netherlands keep double-teaming him like that, it'll be tough. He needs at least one of them to need to watch their backs in Europe, and I don't see that happening - marketing doesn't seem in any position to go after Bratyn, and Portugal's safe behind Spain so long as Spain keeps him as an ally. Unless, of course, Burgundy is merely "protecting" Spain until he's in a position to eat them himself. . .

That is the other way around. Nations around 300 developement become disloyal instead, stop paying tribute and THEN Ming intervenes.

Ming randomly breaking tributary, even when you've been paying your tribute, is definitely a thing. It may have been tweaked with the other tweaks to Ming + tributaries they've made in the upcoming patch, but last time I played in India, it was still going strong.

I think it's this
22.jpg

Norway getting revenge in Scotland... why are they not on player map? is the AI better?

Apparently -some- people (*cough*Norway and Portugal *coughcough*) don't even wait the 10 seconds it took for me to take the player mapmode picture before leaving the game after we pause...

That is the other way around. Nations around 300 developement become disloyal instead, stop paying tribute and THEN Ming intervenes.
I'm aware of that mechanism, but a few patches ago, the Ming also started to break tributary status if (or rather when) the player is growing too large, even if the player was diligently paying their dues. It's presumably to prevent one tributary from eating all the others, but as far as I know, only God and (maybe) the AI programmers know the exact threshold. I do know that it can happen without any warning (been there myself), though.

From my (limited) experience, Dai Viet should be safe for now, but sidestep will really need to find some strong friends long-term. I'm sure Trin would be thrilled to have another opportunity to invite a couple hundred Chinese regiments into his home in India. :D

Jeanne I of Burgundy turned out to have the most prosperous reign to date.
Becoming the Duchess in stead of her brother at 13, she lived long enough to celebrate her 60 birthday and died a Queen.
Her son now leads the Kingdom of Burgundy and has very big shoes to fill.
Will he continue his mother's policy of trying to reunite French lands or will he try to restore the late Kingdom of Arles?
Or maybe yet another route? Some are saying that trouble is brewing in the Empire and that soon the followers of Luther and Calvin will be looking for someone to oppose the drastic laws set by the Catholics.
Whatever he decides, he will first need to do the impossible: make Italians and Spaniards come to peaceful terms...

So...
Does @sidestep know that Ming has the tendency to just break tributary status without warning when one becomes too large? :D

I'm impressed with how the Burgundian troops have been performing today, by the way. That was some quality asskicking. :)

And finally: Notice how Dithmarschen lost two wars right after they fully commited to their monarchist ways. Coincidence? I think not. At this point, it's a race - can Dithmarschen re-re-form the glorious Peasant Republic in time to fend off the Dutch? And the Norwegians, and the Portuguese?

I did NOT know this, scary, have never played as a Ming tributary before. Also the whole massive amounts of AE thing, well, I'm just not very good at keeping track of that stuff ( I get greedy ). I also feel a lot of stress to catch up since the new scoring system is age-based, I feel like I don't really have time to sit around doing nothing. But yeah, I took it a bit too far, haha

Blondie looks like the flip side of that, with an excess of caution

Ottomans and Mamluks are both Sunni while I'm Coptic. I generate a lot of AE opinion with the Ottomans while taking Mamlukean land and they generate almost nothing with me.

Oh, and I needed to take the cash price for the last war to pay for colonialism quickly.

When it came to the Ajuurani land, that was completely outside of my predictions. When I declared war or Ajuurani, Malindi did the same, sieging stuff before I could, and I didn't have the admin points to nocb Malindi, so I let them be, with the plan to clean them up after I was done with something else. I didn't even consider that Gujarat would expand into Africa.

Not to mention that we had much higher expectations of the Ottoman War. The Italians were supposed to attack from Europe when we were attacking from Africa, but then they started messing around in Iberia instead, which also messed with another of my assumptions: Genoa getting colonialism early in the session so it could be shared and I could cheaperly catch up on tech. Then they came in when we on the verge of breaking and take all the glory.

Things are very different when playing with this many players instead of AI. I can't even practice now because Hormuz in the hands of AI gets coalitioned by the Ottomans, while it doesn't happen in human hands :p