• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, in fact, we have a narrative gameplay AAR (I missed a few updates due to vacation). An interesting mix. :)

Kanem Bornu gets to flex its muscles and wins a glorious victory. Hopefully Lisan gets some opportunity for the peaceful development she's seeking at the moment, because this corner of the world appears quite messy and chaotic.

Learning to work with a physical body seems much more important to Stharin’Ble than to Lisan. I wonder why. A quirk of Stharin’Ble's? Or is Lisan missing something important to his goals beyond the game?

Having played little EU4 myself, I'm pretty unfamiliar with this region. But Lisan seems to be making headway, even if her observer sees room for improvement.

Victory is yours, the sea may be far ahead but it's coming ever closer with every war.

Thank you both! My idle hope when starting the game was to be in a position to possibly snipe Colonialism when it launched. Realistically now I think that is less likely to happen. That delay on taking on Kano is hurting in that regard, and I very much have one eye looking backward on Air. In retrospect my alliance with Nupe might be a bad idea too.

So, in fact, we have a narrative gameplay AAR (I missed a few updates due to vacation). An interesting mix. :)
I hope it is a mix that works! :D

Kanem Bornu gets to flex its muscles and wins a glorious victory. Hopefully Lisan gets some opportunity for the peaceful development she's seeking at the moment, because this corner of the world appears quite messy and chaotic.
It will take a little while to settle down. I am quite conscious that I need to expand somewhat rapidly otherwise the other major powers of the area are likely to put themselves ahead of me. Air, at least, has limited options. So long as Mali and Songhai remain allied, and I remain allied with Songhai, they should be contained. Mossi right now is my main concern - that they will gobble up Oyo and Benin before I get there.

Learning to work with a physical body seems much more important to Stharin’Ble than to Lisan. I wonder why. A quirk of Stharin’Ble's? Or is Lisan missing something important to his goals beyond the game?
Well, Stharin'Ble certainly knows more than Lisan does.

All
Next few years played. Hopefully will get something written up in the next day or two.

8: 1460-1466
Form-bound, attend.

Sometimes one must cultivate patience. This is the same locale as I had previously met with my mentor, but now I am here before him, through the simple expedient of arriving quite some time before our arranged meeting. Subjectively several hours have passed for this form of matter, and I must concede the pleasantness of the place. The wafting of the air, the smell of the water, and the sometime sound of birdsong. But this body is hungry, I should have brought some food.

I employ distraction to put that unpleasant sensation from gnawing over-much at my mind, and try to concentrate on my task. Which is to wait, and watch.

Stharin’Ble surprises me. “Here already Lisan?” it asks from behind me. I try to turn, but the body startles, and I end up falling into a heap on the ground. My mentor’s voice laughs. It puts down its wicker hamper, and directs its hand to reach towards mine. “More practice Lisan,” it chides, as it uses its matter-body to lift my form up. “More practice,” it says again, with less joy, now studying me. “Why did you decide to wait for me?”

Fortunately I had prepared an answer for this, taking at least one of his lessons to heart. “To see how you appeared and walked up the hill,” I answer, truthfully.

The head nods. “That is a good reason,” my mentor says, and then makes a gesture for us to sit. “So tell me, how was your session?”

I find myself shrugging - and then stop when I realise I hadn’t told my body to do that. It is an awkward moment. “Well, I have found more success, but it is frustrating. I do not think I will reach the sea anytime soon now.”

“Explain.”

“I began the session needing to rebuild my manpower. I also was close to forcing feudalism to develop in my lands through development. My truce with Yao lasted another five years, and they were at war with Air and Katsina. Well, that war lasted a few more months before Air forced Yao to capitulate, ceded Kanem.”

FC2DLCD.jpg

“Kanem is one of your cores,” Stharin’Ble comments.

“It is, as are the other two provinces which border me.Their army is smaller than mine, but they had a nearly full manpower reserve. With Songhai and myself both still rebuilding war would not be successful.” Stharin’Ble signals me to proceed by nodding its body’s head.

“Nothing much happened for another year, when both Kano and Biram became cores, and I made Kano into a State, which made my finances better. I had a grant a province - Kotoko - to the Ulema to keep them happy. In October 1461 I decided to drop my mission to vassalise Katsina.”

“Why?” The question is immediate.

This time I shrug on purpose, though from the look on my mentor’s face I think I overdo the action. “I knew I would not be able to action it for some time, and I was hoping perhaps to draw the restoring manpower reserves again. Instead I get an event about family ties with Katsina.”

OWTBfSE.jpg

“The next year, in the summer, I finally can embrace feudalism, and I immediately improve my military technology. I dare not fall behind on morale. The other technologies I decide to let lag - I want to force Renaissance now, and catch-up from there. Hopefully, with my neighbours still largely suffering the mali to research…”

“Maluses,” Stharin’Ble interrupts. I must appear confused, for it explains. “The word malus is a loan-word, spelled exactly the same, but with different grammatical rules in this language we are speaking than in the language from which it came. You have admixed the two.”

“I … do not understand.”

Stharin’Ble is silent for a moment. “Accept my word for it then. It is maluses, not mali. One day, perhaps, we will talk about why we use the languages we do when we take matter-forms. But not today. You were saying?”

uiYA2pI.jpg

ACt3ZUf.jpg

It takes me a moment to clear my head. “Anyway, the end-result of this is Yao no longer qualified as a rival. My only other option is Katsina, whom I choose to select. Allied as they are to Air I can’t see how to avoid a conflict. Meanwhile my Amirs desire more money, which I choose to grant. I can afford it, and I need their continued help to speed my manpower recovery.

rRx7Shj.jpg

“It is slightly at odds with my new mission, perhaps, which is accumulate wealth. The only other option was to wipe Kano from the map, which I might yet do, but that is some years away yet.

kObfL2R.jpg

“My sole former advisor passes, and I choose to recruit another of exactly the same abilities, though I have to wait until March 1463 to be able to afford the hiring fee. I also have now achieved two of the Age objectives, hopefully it will not be long before I can develop my first bonus.”

bypjqaD.jpg

“What will it be?”

“I do not know,” I respond, and I realise my body has shrugged again. It is annoying - and I feel my forehead start to furrow. These matter-forms! I struggle to re-focus my thoughts. “Later in that year my previous general also dies, and I immediately request the Amirs send me a new one. He proves to me reasonably adept.”

QQAVVPo.jpg

“The entire next year passes quietly. My manpower reserves have started to recover, but remain constrained. I deny the merchants some requested privileges - they currently hold no power in my realm, and I believe it still makes sense to pamper my Amirs. My Sultan - poor excuse for a ruler that he is, becomes worse as we enter 1465. I begin to seriously consider forcing him to abdicate. If only I had a better heir.”

QP9dqWS.jpg

“That year, however, sees my truce run out with Yao and I decide to try to annex them. They remain friendless, and I think it might be the only way to prevent them falling to Air. I don’t ask my two allies to join - not that they would. The plan is simple enough - take Bagirmi and then advance on Yao itself. Their army fled into the wilderness where it was attacked by the local tribes and worsted. The remnants limped back home, where my force ambushed and destroyed them.

0Ojl9We.jpg

“Then it was just a matter of besieging the city itself. Whilst we did that I heard that Mali attacked Kong, bringing most of the western half of this region of the world into war. In particular Songhai honoured Mali’s alliance, which saw them fighting their former allies of Macina and Jenné who backed Kong’s cause. Clearly, however, I would not be able to rely on Songhai for some time. Seven months into the siege I received news that a rebellion has broken out in Kano.”

wHnLuua.jpg

“That should have been anticipated,” Stharin’Ble comments.

“I had hoped to finish the war before it triggered - it was a gamble that did not pay off.”

“There are other ways to manage a revolt, did you consider them?”

“No,” I say in a small voice. “Should I have?”

“I will not say whether or not you should have employed those methods,” my mentor instructs in very precise tones, “but you most certainly should have considered them. You disappoint me, Lisan.”

I swallow and take a deep breath. “I understand,” I say. What else can I do?

“Continue,” it says.

I swallow again, “With no fort Kano falls swiftly, but the rebels don’t move. In August I finally take Yao, and I choose to fully annex the nation and empty their treasury. I did think on only taking the one provinces and having Yao as a vassal, but as it was reasonably well developed and in Kanem - which I had already stated - I decided to take it for my own. The peace also sees me complete my mission.”

yPMYxh4.jpg

gdvo32I.jpg

“You might have split your army to reduce the attrition,” my mentor observes.

“I realised that … later,” I acknowledge. “I accept and cancel a mission to improve prestige, hoping for a better draw, and move my army to Bedde. With Yao’s fall Katsina ceases to be a valid rival. In October Zazzau attacks Oyo, both bringing in allies. Meanwhile my army and that of the rebels fight in Biram. It is a bloody affair leaving my army very under-strength but at least I retake Kano quickly thereafter.

bCgjd3Y.jpg

“Before the session ends the last thing that happen is my Sultan’s recent invidious ways actually prove a little useful. I re-take Kano, of course, and I let the session end with the turning of the year.”

Suddenly I cough, and I realise my throat is now very dry. Stharin’Ble looks at me. “Lisan … your body requires looking after, especially if you inhabit it for more than a few minutes. You neglect its maintenance at your peril.” It pauses a moment. “You may be disappointed at your performances thus far - and you have made mistakes, but I have two comments. There are always mistakes, and you are are a significant local power. Now, no more on the game - your body has needs to which we will attend.”

I do not think you need to be here for this. After all, as beings of matter you already know it. Form-bound, depart.

So you grow, slowly. And there are still weaker nations around. :D

Could a secret goal be adaptation to the matter-bodies? And what ultimate purpose might that serve?
I think it is reasonable to say that Lisan doesn't know :)

So you grow, slowly. And there are still weaker nations around. :D
That's true. Whilst I remain friendly with Songhai (and Songhai remains in a reasonable state) I am not worried per se - I should be able to dominate the eastern end of West Africa still - but I did want to have a chance of sniping Colonialism when I started.

Of course, having a 1/0/1 monarch isn't helping anything.

Interesting to see that Lisan is still adjusting to the fact that a physical body has its own autonomic functions that go on functioning whether she wants them to or not. Those little touches of surprise and irritation at seeing something she usually takes for granted being now outside her control felt very "human," if you will.

I also glean from that the fact that, while a number of decades have passed in the "game world," Lisan is still unused to manipulating a physical form for more than a few minutes at a time -- which leads me to wonder exactly how she habitually interacts with the people she's ruling or guiding.

I have a feeling the central plot is either 1) being human is awful or 2) all our leaders are actually alien and trying to take over the world :p. Nice chapter, these struggles with a physical body are intriguing and well-made.

Interesting to see that Lisan is still adjusting to the fact that a physical body has its own autonomic functions that go on functioning whether she wants them to or not. Those little touches of surprise and irritation at seeing something she usually takes for granted being now outside her control felt very "human," if you will.

I also glean from that the fact that, while a number of decades have passed in the "game world," Lisan is still unused to manipulating a physical form for more than a few minutes at a time -- which leads me to wonder exactly how she habitually interacts with the people she's ruling or guiding.

I have a feeling the central plot is either 1) being human is awful or 2) all our leaders are actually alien and trying to take over the world :p. Nice chapter, these struggles with a physical body are intriguing and well-made.
Thank you both. Trying to write from the perspective of someone so un-used to the physical has been a rather fun challenge. One image I had in my head was from the show Westworld - where one of the characters is "teaching" a host to pour liquid into a glass and the host is just a little off spilling the fluid. Whilst obviously I don't have that situation, that sense of not being quite co-ordinated is something of a guide here.

All
I have the next several years played, but have been a bit delayed writing an update because my old cat has gotten very ill and having to arrange for him to go out quietly. That happens tomorrow. Hopefully I will be writing again by the end of the week.

So I have literally just sat here for an hour and read through this AAR and I have to say I am astounded ha, your writing is exceptional and has provided me with a couple of feint ideas I might need to look at myself :p

So I have literally just sat here for an hour and read through this AAR and I have to say I am astounded ha, your writing is exceptional and has provided me with a couple of feint ideas I might need to look at myself :p
Glad you have enjoyed it, and thank you. The best compliment ever, I think, is that I have given someone else an idea. :)

9: 1467-1481
Form-bound, attend.

I consider the thought-message I have just received. It is from Arfin, inviting my class-companions and I to a gathering, now. I can feel Arfin’s excitement radiate out from his thought, almost seeking to infect me, but my own weariness battles it back. I have only recently disconnected from the interface … from the glorious heady sensation of being godly … and I wish deeply to rest.

Yet … something in Arfin’s urgency speaks to me, and so I find myself quelling my bitter exhaustion. A price might have to be paid for that later, but now I accept Arfin’s enthusiasm. I begin to form into my family oval image … and then stop. The sound of both Stharin’Ble and the Master of Aspirants echoes - Practice!

Well, I will show them that I do listen. I will myself to the chosen locale, and build the matter-form.

“Lisan?” a voice echoes incredulous. All is dark, and I realise I have arrived with my eyes closed. I open them to see Arfin striding up to me, still in its habitual form of a black male, this time wearing long robes. “Is that really you?”

“Just about,” I reply, as I make sure everything works as it should.

“I never thought to see you take human form unless absolutely required,” Arfin says, now standing in front of me. It looks me form over - with a critical eye. “It is a very fine form, my friend. Very well crafted.”

“So is yours,” I say.

Arfin shrugs. “Perhaps, but I’ve been doing this for a lot longer than you.” Its features pull into an expression I cannot name. “Anyway, come and join us.”

I look ahead and see Vosele and Keriam are already there. Vosele once more is a methane-cloud. Keriam has forsaken its willowy humanoid, instead favouring a series of three circles each rotating in a different axis. “Ghrim?” I ask.

<<Of course not>> replies Vosele, eschewing sound for thought.

<<Now that Lisan is here>> interjects Keriam, again with thought, <<perhaps Arfin will tell us why we are here.>>

“Of course!” exclaimed Arfin. “It is simple, really. I want to tell you what I have been doing.”

The sense of condescension from Vosele and Keriam is palpable, immediate, in keeping with their image-forms. Constricted to this matter-form my own thoughts are mostly safe in this prison of flesh and bone. Face, I remember too late - fortunately Arfin is looking towards the other two.

“I’ve been matched to an Advisor in an actual Contest.”

I blink. Vosele radiates astonishment. From Keriam comes … something different, surprise, but also … fear?

<<How?>> Keriam asks.

Arfin shrugs, so naturally I feel a flutter of envy. “I truly do not know. My Mentor told me there was the opportunity, and I accepted. After the first session I was involved in I was instructed to keep quiet, but I just emerged from a second session and I was told the embargo was lifted. I just had share this with my class-companions!”

The others seem to be adjusting to the news … but I focus on the last of what Arfin said. Just finished a session? Surely …

“Can you tell us more?” I query.

Arfin turns to me. “Yes. Yes I can. I’ve been playing the role of Ibrahim Terap, mostly in charge of payments in the Kingdom of Bornu. Providing much needed support to the government given the quality of their rulers.”

auO8ZSZ.jpg

I cannot believe it. Arfin has been manifesting as my advisor? Were I not a matter-form I would be radiating astonished thought so loudly my class-companions would know.

<<What do you mean?>> Keriam asks.

Arfin smiles. “Well the old ruler - the one we had the start of the session - had especially modest talents. He was forced to step down. His heir - who I think was an older brother - wasn’t much better but at least was a reasonable diplomat, and he had an heir who showed promise. Well, not that any of the humans could tell that, but I still had access to the interface.”

KIh9HFM.jpg

inkBYQJ.jpg

“You had access to the interface?” I repeat, surprised.

“Limited access,” Arfin explained. “There are several levels of manifestation. The most basic isn’t really true manifestation - one doesn’t even inhabit the body. The most complete is that you are utterly limited by the matter-form, unable to think or perceive beyond its confines. I … am not brave enough for that. I went for one of the middle options, fully being within the body, all its actions my own. Able to see the interface, but unable to act through it. My actions had to be fully within the world of matter, and as an Advisor I needed to ensure I did certain things to cause the effects required for my position.”

“That’s very interesting,” I say, and it is. Also, as Arfin has been speaking I find a way to try and cover any suspicion. “I have started my own Contest, but only see the world from the interface. I didn’t know you could manifest as an actual advisor.”

Arfin chuckled. “I might ask you later what it is like from the position of a player too, but it is the little things really. As a so-called Master of the Mint I have an effect on currency, limiting inflation. We all know that. How that works for others I am not sure, but in this game it actually means maintaining as universal a system of weights and measures as possible - given Bornu is a nation in West Africa in the fourteen hundreds. Mind you,” he goes on, delight in his eyes, “I am fairly certain my nation is being managed by a Player. Certain things .. well, they just don’t quite seem human.”

I work hard to keep my face bland. Vosele asks <<Such as?>>

Arfin turns towards the could. “Well, Bornu has been massively developed. Even before this session, to the point of forcing the adoption of something analogous to Feudalism before this most recent session started. And through the session it developed further - so much that when the session ended - in 1481 - the capital was on the verge of experiencing a full-blown Renaissance.

FuZew6z.jpg

<<Any war stories?>> Keriam asks, its wheels spinning faster as if with excitement.

“Not directly,” Arfin answers, “though I would love to be a soldier sometime. But no - my mentor strongly - very strongly - advised me to stay away from affairs military, and I am not courageous enough to defy him yet. But there was a war - shall I explain it?”

“Please do,” I say. My weariness is forgotten. To hear this perspective of my Contest from Arfin is fascinating.

“Very well. I’ll start at the beginning - when Bornu was peaceful but there were wars everywhere else. Our new King dissolved our alliance with Nupe, not wishing to make them unnecessarily strong. He also sought to drill our armies a lot on the land around Bornu, expecting a war with Air. But it never came.”

ips3CbN.jpg

“Whilst we waited for our armies to rebuild from the last war, Zazzau and Mossi gained territory at the expense of Oyo and Bonoman.

Aip2TpI.jpg

“Meanwhile Mali made a series of separate peaces that saw them expand quite considerably.

b0fBVPz.jpg

“Nupe had also sought to snack on the defeated armies of Benin and Oyo, winning more territory.

w79jIgI.jpg

“In response to all of this, as soon as our treasury could pay for it, we began to build a castle in Kano. The King also declares his life’s mission to be the eradication of Kano, to complete his predecessor’s work.

NEI2n7H.jpg

“The simple truth is not much happened in Bornu that was very exciting during these years, though we did get claims to Katsina, Daura, and most importantly, Rano - the last holdout of Kano. There was concern that Macina appeared to copy our pseudo-feudalism. All the effort expended on developing Bornu meant almost no technological progress, and the Kingdom was starting to fall behind.”

5qX5h92.jpg

The other two were wrapped up in Arfin’s words. I was too, for entirely different reasons. “That all changed in 1473,” Arfin continued. “Our army was expended a little more, to a total of eighteen thousand men, and then we declared war on Kano. They were still allied with Zazzau and Mossi and we were able to bring Songhai in on our side.

ibyVGJR.jpg

“Our army had been split into two to prevent them over-burdening the resources of any province, but they converged to smash the small Kano force before one retreated back to Biram, protected by our fort at Kano. Songhai’s army had been defeated and fled to deep within our territory as their own was invaded.

CBqnFtJ.jpg

“Meanwhile our King had arrested a number of notables in Yao, disrupting preparations there for a revolt.

emCA92C.jpg

“As the summer progressed the Songhai army returned to the fray and sought to take Zazzau. They repulsed an attempt to relieve that siege, and emboldened marched back towards their own lands. Our own siege in Rano was progressing, if slowly.

zZUSdGp.jpg

“We took the opportunity to move our second army to commence our own siege on Zazzau. Rano finally fell in October, after nearly a full year. That army was moved to Kano to recover as best it could, as our manpower reserves were again exhausted. In Songhai the Mossi besieged their capital as their army started to retake some of their land.

aFTmUxK.jpg

“My job became a little easier after this with a modest - but still useful - gift to our Treasury from a leading Amir. The Songhai army, after retaking Zarmaganda, sought to ambush a small Zazzau force in Mossi land. The Mossi abandoned their siege of Gao and inflicted a substantial defeat, causing them to retreat again towards the relative safety of our lands.

kpUgQ1j.jpg

“It wasn’t long though before we took Zazzau, and this allowed us to rapidly occupy most of the remaining Zazzau land.

I3pgzn2.jpg

“We began to advance into Mossi and occupied Songhai when news reached us that Mali was attacking Mossi as well.”

“Was that good?” I asked, again to try and emphasise this was new to me. I hope my expression is suitably curious.

Arfin makes a wavy gesture with his hand. “Yes - though it would prevent us getting quite the peace deal we might otherwise have managed. It certainly made the war simpler however - our enemies now essentially had no chance. Though the long-term ramifications ... we’ll come to that.

fyle4Ww.jpg

“The summer saw us continue to occupy Mossi land whilst the armies of Mali relieved the second siege of Gao.

UCQbVjM.jpg

“That was essentially it for the war, bar a few remaining skirmishes as we mopped up the remnants of the Mossi and Zazzau armies.

IoWVqCb.jpg

“Unfortunately Mali was set to take the Mossi capital, but the peace was substantial even so. We took Rano of course, and Zazzau, and forced Zazzau to acknowledge our suzerainty.

2ibyfGn.jpg

QXMWBfv.jpg

“Air renounced their rivalry with us, though they continued to view us with hostility, but now Katsina formally declared us a rival. Perhaps their recent advances in pseudo-Feudalism made them over-proud. Or perhaps they saw us technologically backward, which was true. Meanwhile we again focused on trying to restore our shattered manpower. Mali also took a number of provinces from Mossi - now the most powerful state in West Africa.

hcCTn7P.jpg

tv1dXyz.jpg

“I think Mali might become a serious threat to Bornu soon. I do hope the Player - if I am right - is aware of that. Indeed, given just before the end of the session Mali broke their alliance with Songhai I think Bornu will have to make a choice very soon indeed.

4sIAFkH.jpg

I am, I think, but decide to say nothing. Too many interjections might be counter-productive. Arfin kept on going. “The session ended in 1481, and we spent the remaining years consolidating, though amusingly as our heir came of age he began to be called The Conqueror, perhaps because he accompanied one of the armies.

rIVdttc.jpg

“I was involved a little in the last major event of the session - the promulgation of something much more akin to European feudalism, mostly as a way to dissipate some of the unrest in our conquered territories.

WSkonQf.jpg

“I suspect that will be the last significant act of Dumana V however, as he is over sixty and his heir can now inherit.”

<<Another abdication?>> asked Vosele.

“If there is a Player, I am sure of it.” Arfin answers.

cx6m5Na.jpg

<<Will you go in for the next session?>> Keriam inquires.

“Oh yes,” Arfin nods, “if I can. It depends when the call comes - but I suspect my time in this game is soon to be up. My host body is now 49 - no little age given the time. And I must admit the last few years have not been the most comfortable as it ages. It aches all the time.” Arfin makes a face.

A thought occurs to me. “Arfin,” I ask, “could you help me?”

“How?” Arfin replies.

“My mentor wishes me to get more practice in physical bodies. You - you’ve just had fifteen years experience, if I am right?”

Arfin laughs. “Yes, that is true. Though practicing here very different from inhabiting a body in a game, but still. Of course I’ll help. What else are class-companions for?”

I have much to think about, and I need to rest. I need to make an excuse to leave. Form-bound, depart.

General note - I have expanded the information on the first post as follows:
If there are any significant additions there I will post them in thread as well. I hope it helps keeps things straight.

Dramatis Personae

Yourself A Witness

Lisan la Metemes Your Host
Forms: An Oval of light with a decorated edge for personal expression
A northern slavic female in early 21st-century clothes, below average height

Stharin’Ble la Metemes fra Den Mørke Hav per Ultima Lisan's Mentor
Forms: A perfect sapphire sphere
An older man with a heavily-lined face. A large nose protrudes from the face, and
grey-bushy eyebrows project overshadowed orbs. The simulacrum wears checkered blue and red shirt, unbuttoned at the collar, and crisp, clean cream trousers.

Arfin Class-companion of Lisan
Forms: A black human male, with a variety of garbs

Vosele Class-companion of Lisan
Forms: A methane-cloud

Keriam Class-companion of Lisan
Forms: A tall willowly humanoid - indeterminate gender
Three circles, each rotating on a different axis

Ghrim Class-companion of Lisan

Rosthi’Cvar la Saraoni fra Tordenvejret ab Hoste Maligno Master of Aspirants of the First Court
Forms: A large Polynesian male in a “top hat and tails” black suite.

Glossary

Contest - A formal game where one or more Players is being tested.

Family - Name given to groups of the Unbound. Each newly formed Unbound is assigned to a Family, and given a mentor. The mentor may change through the youth’s development, or not. More rarely, a youth may change Families.

House - Groupings of Unbound who all hold a similar set of ethics.

Interface - The matrix through which the Unbound Players interact with the game universes. It is something of a simplified overview. Actions decided by the player are thus translated into actions by the beings under the control of the interface.

Manifest - Taking a direct part on the world of matter, though there are different levels of manifestation.

Movement - Groupings of Unbound who are all aiming for a broadly similar declared goal - though this allows a very great deal of variation in approach. Very broadly analogous to your political parties or interest groups.

Well, that certainly explains my questions about how the players interact with the "game world." I wonder if, on some level, the manner in which the players in a Contest choose to manifest their will is itself a factor in their evaluation -- though I'm sure that will be revealed in time. It certainly sounds like, at the very least, Lisan is going to be experimenting with her first manifestation in the game world soon; perhaps that will draw comment from her Mentor in the next chapter.

It appears as though Mali and Kanem Bornu will be the two main factions vying for dominance in West Africa in this world.

All is dark, and I realise I have arrived with my eyes closed.
Haha, I laughed so hard with this :D!

“Was that good?” I asked, again to try and emphasise this was new to me.
But I wonder how she doesn't know of this when she is the one leading the nation in the game? Thanks for the glossary, I didn't know Lisan was a female :p. Definitely an interesting situation in Western Africa now with a big Mali.