• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that certainly explains my questions about how the players interact with the "game world." I wonder if, on some level, the manner in which the players in a Contest choose to manifest their will is itself a factor in their evaluation -- though I'm sure that will be revealed in time. It certainly sounds like, at the very least, Lisan is going to be experimenting with her first manifestation in the game world soon; perhaps that will draw comment from her Mentor in the next chapter.

It appears as though Mali and Kanem Bornu will be the two main factions vying for dominance in West Africa in this world.
Yes, I wanted to give some indication of how things might work.

As for the in-game situation, definitely, especially as I have effectively bled Songhai's manpower dry along with my own and generally prevented their expansion otherwise. Not mentioned but I am currently allied to both Mali and Songhai. If Mali were to declare on Songhai I probably ought to come to Songhai's aid just to try and cut Mali down to size a little bit.

Haha, I laughed so hard with this :D!

But I wonder how she doesn't know of this when she is the one leading the nation in the game? Thanks for the glossary, I didn't know Lisan was a female :p. Definitely an interesting situation in Western Africa now with a big Mali.
Lisan asked the question to try to create the impression among its class-companions that she does not know anything of the game. After all, Lisan is not meant to reveal any details except to the Master of Aspirants and to Stharin'Ble (or other authorised persons, but there haven't been any of those yet).

Well, remember the human form we have seen Lisan take so far is female. I am not so sure gender means very much to the sort of beings they are :)

Anything else you would like me to include in the opening post btw?

A thought occurs to me. “Arfin,” I ask, “could you help me?”

“How?” Arfin replies.

“My mentor wishes me to get more practice in physical bodies. You - you’ve just had fifteen years experience, if I am right?”

Arfin laughs. “Yes, that is true. Though practicing here very different from inhabiting a body in a game, but still. Of course I’ll help. What else are class-companions for?”
So I am probably reading too much into that, but...sex? :D

I aim to please.:D So not sex then.:p
I was thinking something far more prosaic :)

I loved the touch about Lisan arriving with her eyes closed.

So there are numerous ways to interact with the game.
Well, the little things matter. And yes, more than one way to impact the game-worlds.

10: 1481-1496
Form-bound, attend

Stharin’Ble watches me pick up the jug and pour water into two glasses. I replace the jug and gently push one glass towards my mentor. After a moment Stharin’Ble smiles and takes it, bringing the glass to its lips and sipping. I do the same, managing to truly sip. When Stharin’Ble puts down its glass, I do the same.

“Your coordination is improving,” my mentor says.

“I have spent some time with my class-companion, Arfin, who has always been fond of material forms,” I say.

“The La Essali one?” I nod, and am almost brave enough to ask. My mentor, of course, notices. “What is it Lisan?”

“It is not important,” I say. “An unworthy thought.”

“Let me be the judge of that,” Stharin’Ble answers, curtly cutting through my shallow attempt at deflection.

I take a deep, somewhat involuntary, breath. “Arfin … did you know he had manifested as one of my advisors in my Contest?”

There is no trace of reaction in my mentor. “How did you learn this?”

“Arfin told me itself - with permission.”

My mentor smiles, “As it happens, Lisan, I did not know. But I am not surprised.”

“Will you enlighten me?” I ask, as Stharin’Ble takes another sip of its water.

“No I will not, not yet anyway,” it replies, glancing downward as it places the glass on the table. Then my mentor looks right at me. “You are an intelligent being, Lisan. You should be able to work it out.” It pauses a moment, hold me in its gaze. “Now, tell me of your latest session?”

I try to pull myself back into focus. “To start with I made my ruler - Dumana V - abdicate, making way for his more capable heir, ‘Ali I. We have another heir as well.”

txEXD71.jpg

“Shortly thereafter my advisor Ibrahim Terap - who was manifested by Arfin - dies. I wondered if maybe Arfin chose to continue for another session. Knowing I would soon my fighting another war I hire a military man to boost the morale of my armies.

K0BE2gj.jpg

“I also boost Bornu just enough to kick-start my very own Renaissance. I don’t quite have the money yet to export that thinking to the rest of my nation, but it is only a matter of time.

Aptt5B6.jpg

“The following year I decide it is time for war. Both Nupe and Katsina are allied with each other, and no one else. I choose not to involve Songhai.

zUu0zHH.jpg

“Their position is quite poor - divided by my lands I am able to defeat the Katsina army quite easily. I began to siege their capital, and also their major fort in Daura.

j3xFWIf.jpg

“There had been another war between Bonoman and Oyo on one hand, and Mossi on the other. The Mossi, who had once looked to be a substantial threat, were reduced to almost nothing

gtR5Rp1.jpg

“Then Songhai attacked Katsina, and started to siege their remaining province. My mistake - I should have already snagged it but I hadn’t. It took a full year for Katsina itself to fall - their other fort surrendered months earlier. Shortly thereafter Mali broke their alliance with us and declared us as their rivals.

P0dhADQ.jpg

“Next Oyo - backed by Bonoman - attacked Nupe, which I had now moved against. A large group of Katsina peasants had broken out in rebellion in Daura - and the army I sent against them was defeated.

skPW6CE.jpg

“Fortunately I was now in a position to get a peace - if not quite as I wanted, then at least one I was happy with - but it did leave me into an immediate war with Oyo and Bonoman.

BH1GuIU.jpg

“Given my defeat against the Katsinan peasants I had to call in Songhai to this new war. The money from the peace, however, was sufficient to allow me to force through Renaissance reforms throughout my nation. Having spoken to Arfin, I wonder if it wasn’t through commissioning a great deal of memorabilia to commemorate our victory in that war.”

tMY8F3e.jpg

“What do you mean,” Stharin’Ble asks quickly, but quietly.

I stop a moment, my thoughts disarranged. I begin slowly. “It is from something Arfin mentioned to me, about how my decisions via the interface actually translate into actions in the game world itself.” I end more confident. “I found it curious.”

Stharin’Ble looks at me a moment. “Such curiosity has its uses, Lisan. We might speak of it again, but for the moment I would restrict such idle thoughts to me, and I suppose to your class-companions.” I nod. “Very well, continue.”

“Songhai quickly annexes what is left of Katsina. Nupe had already taken the Bonoman capital, but they were now seeking to retake it. One of my armies marched to shatter their siege, but was ambushed en-route, and had to make a hasty retreat.

CDWHsch.jpg

“Songhai’s army took care of the Bonoman capital, however. Instead I sought to retake Nupe territory already lost, and won vengeance for my loss in doing so.

R09xUqT.jpg

“Bonoman now sought to get out of the war, proffering reparations. I chose to accept their offer, as I was conscious just how stretched my armies had become. I began the fight against Katsina with twenty thousand men and several thousand manpower reserves. Now my force was down to under eight thousand, my manpower long since spent.

bUsRJlB.jpg

“The siege against Ife was long - but last in June 1486 it fell. It was a relatively simple matter to take the remaining Oyo land. Along the way I adopted the next military level, and then in September annexed Oyo in its entirety.

yTjOjQ6.jpg

“It was a peace I was very glad for - I desperately needed to rebuild my armies. I began doing so - but then the Oyo revolted and my army only barely held on for victory. I also tried to manage my two vassals - Benin at one point supported Zazzau independence. Fortunately nothing came of that - by the time the session ended both had become loyal. I also slowly converted all the Fetishist provinces to the Sunni faith. My military advisor had died, so I now recruited someone to enhance my tax take.

WOFn1r0.jpg

“I also managed to finally get to Military 5 - Air had beaten me to it some years before. If they had attacked me…”

“You would have been soundly defeated,” Stharin’Ble comments. “Your approach of developing Feudalism and the Renaissance is not without merit, but it has its risks. You were very fortunate.”

“I know,” I answer quietly. “The poor quality of my rulers … even ‘Ali is only average on investment front. At least he is proving an adept military man.

YkDdqQA.jpg

“I don’t know how much I will benefit from it, but I also laid the groundwork for my first few colonies - if I get to make them in time - to be somewhat better developed. I still have some way to go.

allJesm.jpg

“The session came to a close in 1496.”

“And how do you think you have done,” my mentor asks.

I shrug. Probably my best shrug yet. “I have failed at my first private aspiration - to have a chance of forming Colonialism. I hope yet to be able to take control of the Cape however. I must take Benin - but they are allied with Kongo, so I must pick my time. I must watch Mali too as well. I have had nearly ten years of peace - my armies are finally looking better, but my manpower remains limited. Despite prioritising administrative reforms I have such a great outlay incorporating these new territories I am behind where I wish to be.”

Stharin’Ble looks at me. “Good,” my mentor says. “I want you to reflect on why that is the case,” it says, and then without warning it is gone, leaving me alone. If only …

Form-bound, depart.

Sorry for the delay on this ... the start of school this month has always meant the regular autumnal biological warfare assault, which has finally managed to get a strike in against me.

Looking back I've made quite a few mis-judgements so far on this playthrough - no doubt a consequence of not having played EU4 for a while before this game. I am sure a more adept player would have managed to be in a position to get Colonialism, but mis-timing that war against Kano right at the start probably put be back 5-10 years, and not accounting for my very low monarch power from a 1/0/1 and then a 1/3/0 has had its consequences.

After the next session is ended I intend to do something of a round-up post. If there is any particular information folks would like to know please ask so I can try to pay attention.

Wow, that's a LOT of development and that early in the game... I can still not understand how this is better than waiting for it to spread, or to develop it later - of course due to me not having any experience with mass developing (yet). Don't worry about the speed of updates, as you know, real life first :).

Wow, that's a LOT of development and that early in the game... I can still not understand how this is better than waiting for it to spread, or to develop it later - of course due to me not having any experience with mass developing (yet). Don't worry about the speed of updates, as you know, real life first :).
Well I am not sure it is better - necessarily. Only I note that Feudalism develops very slowly in West Africa - iirc only a handful (Mali, Songhai, Kanem Bornu) will develop it at game start due to governments, the other nations won't. Renaissance takes forever to spread from the Med as well.

However, given my low monarch power it took far too long. I should have been far more aggressive trying to sort that out ... oh well, lessons learned for next time. OTOH due to low monarch points developing tech would also have taken forever as well, and this way I have solidified my economic base.

So this mentor is kind, kinda.:p But also somewhat strict, yet unclear on their own conclusions. I know I would have been frustrated.:p

So this mentor is kind, kinda.:p But also somewhat strict, yet unclear on their own conclusions. I know I would have been frustrated.:p
Stharin'Ble is what it is, the best Lisan can do is try to keep up I think.

11: 1497-1507
Form-bound, attend.

I bask in the afterglow of a supernova. My form is my familiar oval mirror. Stharin’Ble, who is beside me as its perfect sapphire sphere, had suggested we view this stellar event and arranged for a private viewing place, a protected pocket of space impervious to the event itself. But it is not the first such conflagration I have seen.

Stharin’Ble shares me with me an almost innocent sense of wonder at the cataclysm, which I do not understand. As we watch I also perceive a growing amusement, until Stharin’Ble signals “You are bored, Lisan.”

“I do not understand why here,” I return. I allow my bafflement to scent the air.

“You are young, Lisan.” My mentor pauses. “Very young. If you exist long enough, you may yet come to appreciate innocent pleasures.”

Another silence, as the last orbiting body of the inner system is torn about by the star’s terminal exhalation. “Your last session, how did it go?” Stharin’Ble asks.

I turn my frame towards him, and by way of answer displays the image of how things stood at session end. “I’ve made progress - quite considerable progress. The sea at least!”

iNhQDwc.jpg

“But too late to do what you hoped,” Stharin’Ble comments.

“That is true. Mali grows, and the Europeans arrive … I have my challenges.”

“Tell me.”

“Well, almost immediately this session began Songhai declared war on Air, a war that drew in most of the powers in Africa. Since I had an heir with a top military score I decided to give him the command of my armies, and was very happy with the result.

PSC0GDm.jpg

W9G5ISQ.jpg

“Air began an invasion of the former Yao lands, which we sought to counter and they attempted to avoid us and were ambushed by the folks of lands beyond. We caught and destroyed the remnants, and then immediately turned back to face a large Malian army that had also sought to invade our lands. We met them outside Manga - a true coalition of ourselves, Songhai, Macina, and Nupe. We surrounded them … and they died.

ODSkjJ9.jpg

“We split our army - one to attack Bonoman and one to destroy Air. By the start of 1498 the army of Timbuktu was besieging Gao whilst Mali rebuilt her armies, and Air and Bonoman were being reduced.

eUQGWnE.jpg

“In the spring Songhai made an attempt to relieve Gao, and were defeated, as my armies concentrated on taking the last holdings of Air and Bonoman. I hoped to knock those two powers effectively out of the war before moving further. By this time my manpower had again been depleted - but I knew the enemy still had plentiful reserves on which to draw. Gao fell in the summer, and Songhai had chosen to begin an invasion of Malian territory - we helped them defeat a small army in Wagadugu.

xcbb90L.jpg

“The autumn of 1498 saw both Air and Dagbon fall to us - but Timbuktu had liberated the province of Ader. Despite their losses - especially from Manga - our opponents had nearly rebuilt their forces.

ueCGXzu.jpg

“The Timbuktu army, now joined by the remnants of Air’s forces, tried to re-take Azbin - but we fought them there and worsted them - but our losses were heavy. I also re-took Ader. Mali, meanwhile, was trying to take Macina out of the war. For our part, as spring turned into summer Bonoman finally conceded.

c5KSYQ3.jpg

pTg8UEc.jpg

“We had been trying to re-take Gao when the army of Timbuktu appeared isolated to the south. We took the opportunity, but they resisted long enough for a Malian force to join them - but it did them no good and our combined forces won a great victory all thanks to our heir and his masterful ways.

njxeARF.jpg

NB: The battle lies result lies slightly, there was a Malian army present, but it already retreated before the battle ended.

“By the end of 1499 the war had very much turned in our favour - but I confess I am not entirely sure I trust the information I had recorded from the interface. The troop numbers seem … wrong. I wished I had noticed that at the time, I might have investigated.”

mYrK2db.jpg

“There is a lesson there,” Stharin’Ble observes. “The interface is useful, but it is far from perfect. Remember that well.”

I nod. “At the start of 1500 I finally acquired Administration Level 4. Macina was also forced out of the war for a paltry sum, making it effectively Songhai, myself and my vassals against Mali and Timbuktu, Air being totally occupied. Timbuktu tried to prevent us from retaking Gao, but we beat them back. Our losses were heavy.

o5319uy.jpg

“We took Gao shortly thereafter and liberated what Songhai land had fallen. Despite the precarious state of our armies, this was enough. Air did not wish to continue the fight. Songhai had gone to war for the province of Ader, as it was they were unable to enforce this. We were granted our border provinces in the peace. It was a hard-fought war - and if we had not annihilated that Malian army at the start … I think it might have gone rather differently.”

uM2HRe4.jpg

NGntNOG.jpg

“Flush with cash I started to invest in some new Mosques in Bornu and Kano. The war had its consequences though … due to a lack of able-bodied men our tax revenue started to suffer. We did manage to research Military Level 6, however - our difficulties against Timbuktu in part being because they had already done that.

h335P3p.jpg

“Yatatenga sought to take advantage by attacking Bonoman. Meanwhile in 1502 I realised that Benin was no longer allied to Kongo. My army was still severely understrength, but this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

yBHqNVc.jpg

“Yatenga brought their war to a conclusion, forcing Bonoman to pass over or free nearly all their territory. The ‘Abbasids also gave us the title of Calipha - for the first time in a years our prestige and legitimacy were not utterly terrible.

DVv0K80.jpg

vYVQAr1.jpg

“As the year came to a close - we were simply waiting for Benin’s capital to fall - news reached us that Songhai had sold one of her provinces to Macina. Oh, and at some point in all of this the Ashanti had risen to statehood in two previously lawless provinces. I had not realised that could happen. Colonialism began at the start of 1503.

BvSP5Mm.jpg

NHOnFJO.jpg

“The end of that year saw Benin finally fall - we gave one province to our vassal Nupe and took the rest ourselves. The war had cost us somewhat in men - it would take us even longer to rebuilt.

OxUtfaF.jpg

“As if to celebrate I finally took Administrative Level 5, and choose to focus on exploration and colonisation. Immediately, indeed, I began to colonise Whydah - unable to get to Gold Coast straight away.

OC0ZhMa.jpg

“I decided I could not risk any revolts from the indigenous peoples, so chose Native Co-existence. The next year brought news from Kongo of some internal conflicts - which made me happy. Kongo had expanded rapidly and could become a significant foe. Perhaps, I thought, this would inhibit them somewhat. Further west, Fulo annexed Jolof, and Mali annexed Ashanti, and almost immediately attacked Dagbon. We started to build a fort in Abomey, and our Sultan ‘Ali became known as The Navigator - appropriate given it was he that brought us to the see I suppose.

NltkYkp.jpg

“Mali swiftly annexed Dagbon, I was hit by another set of lowered taxes due to low manpower, and had a civil war disaster tick up slightly. This is because I delayed coring the Beninese provinces to research Admin 5 - but I thought it was reasonably done. The Age of Exploration is about to end however - about seven years hence. Portugal is known to me, and France and Castille will be I assume as soon as their initial colonies complete. I suspect Mali and I are due a war almost as soon as the truce is out. Although I want to explore and colonise … and I will, a bit … most of my efforts will have to be focused on that coming war.”

YUUHo9T.jpg

“Mmm, you are now just over sixty years into this Contest,” my mentor begins, and pauses. “A gain of twenty-one provinces, one hundred and eighty development, forts … all in all, I am not displeased with your progress.” Stharin’Ble pauses again. “The Master of Aspirants wishes you to know that he will debrief you in person in a few sessions.”

I give no reply to that. At least I can prepare.

“I am going to finish observing the effects of this supernova on its solar system. If you wish, you may remain, or you may leave.”

I choose to leave. The truth is I need to think about Mali, and what to do - and most likely about what I should already have done.

Form-bound, depart.

The sea at last! :D And "Ali the Navigator" has quite the ring to it. It's a shame the window on the Age of Exploration seems to be closing so quickly, but all told Kanem Bornu is not in a bad state at all, relatively speaking.

The Master of Aspirants, eh? Sounds like Lisan is catching the eye of those in high places -- unless, of course, this is merely a routine matter for everyone who is enrolled in the Contest. Either way, it will be interesting to see a fresh take on Lisan's efforts.

Good progress, I wonder which provinces will be colonised: will it be the African coast, or is Lisan going to go further and colonise South America? Interesting thing to look forward to.

It does seem like a lengthy race against time for Kanem Boru, even with Lisan at the helm.

But progress! Maybe her overseers may dole out more than the usual tidbits of information about what is actually going on and why.
Since when do oversees dole out anything more than tidbits? :D

Of course the truth of the matter is that I'm not actually that good an EU4 player ;)

The sea at last! :D And "Ali the Navigator" has quite the ring to it. It's a shame the window on the Age of Exploration seems to be closing so quickly, but all told Kanem Bornu is not in a bad state at all, relatively speaking.

The Master of Aspirants, eh? Sounds like Lisan is catching the eye of those in high places -- unless, of course, this is merely a routine matter for everyone who is enrolled in the Contest. Either way, it will be interesting to see a fresh take on Lisan's efforts.
Yes Kanem Bornu will start exploring in the next Age. My main "issue" is manpower, I have been quite profligate with it. Mali and I are almost at the same development, but at least now I can colonise (and in due course diploannex Nupe and Zazzau). Mali's expansion opportunities are more limited.

Hey stnylan, just wanted to say that this aar looks sweet! I'll read it fully when I wake up, but so far it seems pretty good, good luck.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy the tale

Very interesting concept! On board.
Thank you very much! Definitely trying to stretch myself here. I don't think it entirely works in its current guise, but after all that is why one tries new things.

Good progress, I wonder which provinces will be colonised: will it be the African coast, or is Lisan going to go further and colonise South America? Interesting thing to look forward to.
I definitely want to get Gold Coast for the CoT (for obvious reasons). Beyond that ... both have possibilities. It would obviously be nice to snag the Cape - and expansion in Africa generally is a definite possibility - especially if I can secure the coastal link between my part of Africa and Kongo area. Though I suppose I could go eastward from Yao and end up in Ethiopia-area. Or north to Morocco/Tunis. And then yes, the idea of South America ... certainly lots of possibilities. I get the feeling the choices now are going to have the greatest impact on the feel of the entire campaign.

All
No post yet ... I have played a few years but not enough yet for a post. Got a big decision to make, and I really don't know what to do.