• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My problem currently is technology. To generate Feudalism, Renaissance, and now Printing Press I have invested something in the order of 6500 monarch points. My tech suffers as a consequence. Now certainly I should be able to close that gap ... but the Western Units will eventually overhaul me too.

Gulp :( That's a lot of monarch points. On the other hand, congratulations that you only need a couple of loans to buy Printing Press !

The west Africans might defeat the budding colonial powers and clear their own surroundings, but the Ottomans being a big power still means that even with that best outcome happening, North Africa is strong and united against you, either as spanish or Turkish.
Maybe south and east will be your only options, unless you want to colonise elsewhere yourself?

I definitely forgive him for that if he's that good! Surely your disinheritance was a good decision.
Yes I am quite fortunate with him really. Hopefully I will get a few events to boost legitimacy as well - and who knows, I may use a few MIL points to boost it yet as well.

The Ottomans are part of the Catholic League... Intriguing.
I know.

Gulp :( That's a lot of monarch points. On the other hand, congratulations that you only need a couple of loans to buy Printing Press !
Yes. To make it "worse" I forgot to the use the Edicts to give me that -10% development for the first two as well. Ah well.

Will historians dwell on the influence of the Ottomans on the Catholic League?

At this rate, said historians may well be conversing in Turkish!

That said, Kanem Boru grows!
Kanem Bornu grows, but actually watching the Ottomans is almost as fun as watching the world wars in my Uruguay AAR. I have never seen an Ottoman get drawn so far into Central Asia before.

The west Africans might defeat the budding colonial powers and clear their own surroundings, but the Ottomans being a big power still means that even with that best outcome happening, North Africa is strong and united against you, either as spanish or Turkish.
Maybe south and east will be your only options, unless you want to colonise elsewhere yourself?
Certainly I regard sub-Saharan Africa as my backyard. And as will be seen, I am looking East.

1584-1593
Form-bound, attend. I think it is time for another session of my Contest, but perhaps a shorter one. Now you are here let me make the transfer …

Done. So, we had just gotten a new monarch from a new dynasty. Our legitimacy is poor, but things could be very much worse, very much worse indeed.

0FNt04P.jpg

OuJBoRT.jpg

Time to spend some money, on some buildings and some caravels.

Fz8lgI6.jpg

I think Expansion ideas as well.

Db4o9Aw.jpg

Now it is 1585 and we are faced by a choice. I regretfully decide to annoy the Spanish, but rather this than face the potentialities of what else might happen.

LL0GTpN.jpg

Meanwhile our explorer busies himself in far-off lands, and our buildings and ships are completed. The Caravels we should set to trading on the Ivory Coast. Speaking of which, it is probably past time I move my Trade City to the coast. Benin seems good I think.

q8Kn6Hv.jpg

An extra 1½ gold per month - definitely should have done that some time ago form-bound.

Oh no form-bound, it appears that Spain is more annoyed with me than I expected.

UMfdiPc.jpg

I must confess form-bound, I feel somewhat alarmed. They have Military 15 - 15! That means more effective artillery, units - just generally means they can stomp on me. But here is a small squadron outnumbered - can I…

MT8NbTV.jpg

… no, not quite. But I am given hope. Also it is only Spain and her dependents involved in this war - Portugal and her other allies are staying out of it. Oh, Songhai has dishonoured our alliance, craven fools. I have not renewed our marriage with them - hopefully if we survive Spain we can use their foolishness against them.

The war enters a phase of nothing happening, but in the world there are continued developments, including - haha - look at this.

F2ECWnl.jpg

We seek a white peace, but this war will have to persist for much longer before that becomes feasible. Meanwhile we use War Taxes to boost our income.

L7LIZVP.jpg

Whilst the war goes on, more peaceful pursuits continue to develop.

UI7y3Vt.jpg

We sent the extra merchant to Timbuktu, to direct further trade to the Coast - boosting our income by another gold.

1588 and the Spanish have finally made a move - a large army lands in their colonies. Staidly I line my forces up to fight a cauldron-battle if I need to. I think, form-bound, I will need to. That army will likely pummel us - but perhaps we can wear them down with numbers.

oX8ARR4.jpg

On a bright spot our colony in Mauritius completes - and I realise Manila is in range. Form-bound, if we can just hold the Spanish off a little longer. In preparation we improve our navy somewhat - including having built a number of Carracks. And our cannons too.

dqiINYE.jpg

The Spanish army, having taken Karou, does nothing. It is time though - we send all our fleet to attack their squadron that patrols off the coast.

zdovmCw.jpg

Victory is sweet form-bound, do you not agree? Oh, I know it is not a great victory, but I shall not complain. Still their army does nothing, and I begin to get a mad idea. Can you sense it?

But not before we get a new heir - it could be worse, I suppose. We have also ordered some further artillery regiments to boost our armies.

B5TTunA.jpg

Meanwhile the Ottomans conclude another war with the Timurids and continue their march into Central Asia.

Y2WDZZl.jpg

Still nothing happens with the Spanish army. Our fleet blockades them and their squadron, and our armies stand in our territory, all just waiting. Administration 11 is reached, and I begin to get giddy with hope. Into 1592 and still nothing, and we secure Administration 12. The ability add extra states - and I intend to use that to the full, but only once I have peace. Diplomacy 12 follows as well.

1593, and here it is form-bound. Peace, for the moment.

lEg620O.jpg

Our casualties were caused by fighting some of Loango’s rebels early on. I like to think the money and reparations were our price to allow them to evacuate their army - who knows how this peace actually manifests itself in the actual world. I wonder if Arfin has manifested in yet again. I might have to ask. I am not one to complain, however, at the result.

If is, however, the end of this session. We are disengaged from the interface already. Form-bound, depart.

As a query to those who have played this game more than I (which is likely plenty) is the AI always so lazy with these overseas wars? This is the second time I have fought Spain, and on both occasions they seemed quite lackadaisical in their approach.

It appears not to be just me, as the following also happened in this game, though I mentioned it not above:
RYODMwn.jpg

And the great green glob keeps getting bigger and bigger. I think I know something about that! :p

What an anti-climactic war with Spain! I guess they have bigger issues to concern themselves with. So you should take that as an insult! ;)

Kanem Bornu won't be selling any prisoners of war so I wonder where they will be going.
The Ottoturks still cannot be stopped.

When you got DoWed by Spain, I though it over. Good to see you not only survived, but thrived.:)

I think AI has always been dumb with overseas wars, like AI France shipping all of its armies to South America or in your instance AI Spain declaring war on you but actually doesn't send any armies or just too few meaning losing the war. There's a lot to improve, Paradox asking Chaingun to come back not a month after he left is evidence enough I think.

And the great green glob keeps getting bigger and bigger. I think I know something about that! :p

What an anti-climactic war with Spain! I guess they have bigger issues to concern themselves with. So you should take that as an insult! ;)
Despite my best efforts Spain and I will have further tussles I think.

Kanem Bornu won't be selling any prisoners of war so I wonder where they will be going.
The Ottoturks still cannot be stopped.
Our own gold mines need the manpower.

When you got DoWed by Spain, I though it over. Good to see you not only survived, but thrived.:)
Yes I was rather scared. Fortunately saved by AI stupidity.

I think AI has always been dumb with overseas wars, like AI France shipping all of its armies to South America or in your instance AI Spain declaring war on you but actually doesn't send any armies or just too few meaning losing the war. There's a lot to improve, Paradox asking Chaingun to come back not a month after he left is evidence enough I think.
Yes. I actually restarted the game part-way through, following which the AI built a group of regiments and transported that army into Karou, before it went to sleep again.

I hadn't heard about Chaingun leaving, let alone being asked to come back (I confess I don't really keep track of most of the devs as I generally don't follow the main forums).

I hadn't heard about Chaingun leaving, let alone being asked to come back (I confess I don't really keep track of most of the devs as I generally don't follow the main forums).
Neither do I but I picked it up while lurking on the main EU4 forum :).

1593-1600
So good of you to join me form-bound - not, I suppose, that you had much choice. Let us go in again.

So the first thing is to decide which territories to turn into States. We could do three, but we shall do two - I want to keep one state spot free for … future possibilities.

IvYXZ4E.jpg

Our colony is Luanda is finished - now time to colonise those three provinces just east of old Nupe - provinces that already belong to my states. Lesser Namaqland completes too, so let us start something in the Moluccas - how about Sula.

Oh I should have mentioned we began our first manufactory with the Spanish gold - and a mosque and a shipyard. These last two are now finished, and a little later it appears that our Sultan has become something of a zealot.

LMTb6tR.jpg

I also decide to Enforce Religion on Loango. I may rue that - but I have two heathen vassals currently in both Loango and Yatenga. I aim to annex Yatenga first, but I will be most happy if Loango has converted all their territory by the time I am ready to incorporate them. In the short term however it loses me nearly a monthly gold, and Kilwa soon supports their independence. Let them.

As 1594 we take the Mercenary Discipline ability - it looks like we will unlock all eligible abilities before the Age ends. Meanwhile I am getting ready for a war with Macina-Songhai. The idea is to attack Songhai, and then separate peace Macina so that Macina breaks their alliance with France. I have a mission to take on Macinan province, and I also wish to take Massina. As for Songhai - their borderlands shall be mine. I also recruit some extra regiments to help us take the provinces.

HbmQa6H.jpg

Our fleet defeats the Macinan fleet off the Grain Coast, and meanwhile I see Pacajes have done to France a little what I did to Spain.

5Vk8OxE.jpg

We acquire Diplomacy 15. The combined forces of our enemies annihilate a two-regiment force of ours in Azawagh, but then split. We are able to catch the Macinan army, and also the Macinan fleet. Our Kaabu allies are making short work of Macina’s western holdings. It is a good summer.

nlMPlae.jpg

OPClo6x.jpg

The Songhai army meanwhile has done a deep raid into our territory, but we at last catch up with them at Bedde, before destroying them at Marghi.

7oereCG.jpg

With that the war is effectively all over. A few scattered enemy regiments all that is left, and taking the last forts. I think, form-bound, you will agree with Songhai dishonouring me was an ill-thought move. Some of the provinces we take from Songhai we give to Yatenga.

KnhoP6X.jpg

In the wake of our peace Morocco - itself ravaged earlier by Spain - attacks Songhai hoping for an early win. The Ottomans grow. France appears to be in a war with the British-Spanish alliance and doing well. Russia sneaks a couple of provinces off Hungary. We incorporate the provinces we took. The years are passing swiftly. Songhai ends out ahead of Morocco.

mEwYYiY.jpg

We have acquired Military 14 and Administrative 13. Then Spain signs a separate peace with France, and are forced to cede Bearn.

vEgh9Qq.jpg

Right on cue Global Trade spawns in 1600 - in Lubeck.

DgAs2hZ.jpg

Britain is also forced to concede.

vg9EBFa.jpg

Do you know form-bound, I am very tempted to swap my rivalry with France to Spain. A quick pause now though, before continuing on until the end of this current Age. Oh, here are the Ottomans by the way, at the conclusion of their war a few years ago. Looks like they have tidied things up internally, doesn’t it form-bound. Any guesses where they will go to next?

vRJr2xS.jpg

If Africa proves this successful at defending itself for another few years I expect the Europeans may give up and go somewhere else. No one has yet managed to make any money from the continent save for the kingdoms already there.

Still that might mean the Ottomans have free reign to invade if they manage to get past Egypt.

Has England still got land in France or did they lose it all with normandie? Spain still has a big chunk that might keep their gaze fixed firmly eastwards, and certainly garuntees more wars with France in the future. England though, if kicked from the continent, can take advantage of its two rivals fighting each other to go explore the new world.

If Africa proves this successful at defending itself for another few years I expect the Europeans may give up and go somewhere else. No one has yet managed to make any money from the continent save for the kingdoms already there.

Still that might mean the Ottomans have free reign to invade if they manage to get past Egypt.

Has England still got land in France or did they lose it all with normandie? Spain still has a big chunk that might keep their gaze fixed firmly eastwards, and certainly garuntees more wars with France in the future. England though, if kicked from the continent, can take advantage of its two rivals fighting each other to go explore the new world.
Now that Spain has a land route to West Africa though the Moroccon-Songhai corridor I think some further pushes are possible. I have some thoughts on how best to manage that... time will see if my thoughts are any good.

England has no further land on the Contient. They did in fact retain Calais, which formed the Netherlands - and got annexed (iirc) by Burgundy. France has definitely had a slow start, but has won the last 4 continental wars it has been involved in - it just keeps flailing and failing against the Pacajes.

We formbound got to pray that doesn't happen.
Indeed :)

1600-1610
Well form-bound, that didn’t take long.

WV5UrEP.jpg

Diplomacy and Military 15 are both unlocked - which finally put me on par with Spain. I do believe this gives me a slight advantage - which alas will not last. I suppose I might have to make it count. If I can.

As for Global Trade - it is developing apace in Bornu due to its high development, and also in Jenné and Katsina. Once they are done I should be able to embrace - but it will be at a high cost. I suppose form-bound, that means it is time to save money.

Or time to plunder the Estates, as all their twenty-year timers have ticked over.

Into 1601 and I decide to change my Rival from France to Spain.

0FMRs6p.jpg

We also get Administration 14 - and access to a fourth idea group. I am honest form-bound, I am not immediately sure what that should be. We must think about that … oh, it looks like Baluchistan did not last long.

zU1cpST.jpg

Whilst we wait I have transferred one army down to Loango and declare war on Kasanje - who I have noticed is without allies. They are Military 9 - it is an easy fight.

6KX77V4.jpg

MZbTpeI.jpg

Into 1603 and I choose to change my government to an Administrative Monarchy. The extra taxation will be nice, of course, but it is more the production efficiency and autonomy reduction - I have been at neutral stability for decades, or so it feels, so my autonomy has stalled.

F3PxhAs.jpg

Spain attacks Songhai - this bears watching form-bound.

zDzGNEx.jpg

We also have continued to develop our ideas - Faster Colonists being the latest.

8361hvi.jpg

Time passes form-bound. I watch the Spanish-Songhai war. Since their Moroccan gains Songhai borders Spain through the western Saharan corridor - the Spanish armies are advancing south but the attrition must be pretty bad. Macina manages to ambush a small Portuguese expeditionary force on its coastline. We get Military 17 and unlock the final ability of the Age. See it is 1607 and our Court has become increasingly dynamic, but the corridor has fallen and Macina has been forced to sign a peace with reparations. It will not be long for Songhai.

VquUQxF.jpg

Indeed, the peace follows swiftly. Spain seizes the corridor … this will require careful thought.

3DJ8y2J.jpg

Form-bound, I have made my decision regarding our fourth idea group: Trade. We are moving into the Spice Islands, and hope yet to run amok through Kilwa and capture the Zanzibar node.

K8DdoGE.jpg

Our Sultan starts to be indiscreet in his old age, but more importantly we have managed to gather enough gold to embrace Global Trade.

ymynSSU.jpg

Which has the consequence of allowing us to found an Indian Trade Company, now that we have formed our first Trade Company in the Philippines.

XSxlbSJ.jpg

By the way form-bound I realise I made an error earlier - when I attacked Macina previously I should have forced them to break the Songhai alliance too. I didn’t. So whilst I could now attack Macina, I am going to wait until my truce with Songhai finishes as well. I wish to impose the maximum possible peace.

Now that we are up to date in technology I use some of my excess Military ability to strengthen my government. Oh, and the Ottomans have plundered most of what remains of the Timurids.

n2g4Gcj.jpg

And into the Age of Absolutism. Of course course now I remember I should have waited a year or two before I boosted by legitimacy form-bound. I would say you should have warned me but this link is, as yet, only real-time one-way.

NIC7uyR.jpg

A good place for the session to end. Form-bound, depart.

Last edited: