• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
89. 1846-1849 - Responses and Replies
As we can see on the map, both Livonia and Poland consider Lithuania as their core provinces. It would be better to let Russia keep it in future, if we let one of them take it, then we might face war between countries in our Sphere. Poland and Livonia are too weak to declare their own war for Lithuania against Russia, so it is up to us, to not make mistake in future by forgetting this issue.

- Alexios Damaskinos

(( One more question, Poland and Livonia have claims on eachother, can they form some sort of united country? The same goes for Ukraine (propably with Russia). ))

Why does it look like Ukraine has cores on all of Russia?

-Senator Doukas

We can't let Russians have such a gate to the west :
The best option would be to free an independent Lithuania if such thing is possible. Otherwise I would advise to give the remaining territories to the Livonian Order ; we can't help Poland anymore

-Basileios Rellis

Independent Lithuania would mean that Poland or Livonia will invade it, so it is useless. But one thing must be said: We needed Poland to defend Europe from Russian barbarians, now we should concentrate on Ukraine-Russia border, in fact, Poland is of no use to us anymore and it can cause trouble in future (disputed territory with Livonia).

- Alexios Damaskinos

I hope that Roman might would prove sufficient to repel barbarians Senator Damaskinos, should they decide to go against our will
-Basileios Rellis

If we were to go to war with Russia some time in the future to take their Baltic territory, I would favour handing it over to Livonia over Poland. They consider the entire region theirs, while Poland does not. It would also put them on more equal footing. I also agree with Senator Damaskinos on that Poland's importance as a buffer against Russia is no longer an issue, so it would serve better to aid Livonia first. However, Poland is not completely useless to us. Their mere existence keeps the German states from growing too strong. If anything, we can use them to weaken states like Bavaria, who even holds land Poland claims.

- Michelangelo Favero

Senator Favero, you are correct that there is a truce with Persia. We would not be able to move against them immediately.

Senators Angelos, Galilo, Doukas, and Γκρέυ, We thank you for the encouragement for expansion in the far East. Senator Γκρέυ, We shall strongly consider your son as a governor of any new territories.

Senator Panaretos, We fear that splitting the current legions into more legions would not be helpful. A single of these smaller legions would be unable to stand against enemy armies by itself, so two would have to fight together at any given time, which is no different than matters as they are. However, We realize the We did not specify the composition of the Legions before. They currently consist of eight infantry cohorts, four artillery cohorts, two engineer cohorts, and two hussar cohorts. If We can improve the Empire's capability to support troops in one location, We will increase the Legions to eight cohorts of artillery. And the legions are using Hussars instead of Dragoons for their superior maneuverability and reconnaissance. But nevertheless, We thank you for your interest in the legions.

Senator Damaskinos, the suggestion to take Taiwan is an interesting one. We shall take it under consideration.

Senator Doukas, the idea of a trade treaty with Ming is curious. We shall see if such a matter is possible with the famously insular Ming.

Senator Septiadis, thank you for the reminder that there is still work to be done against Russia. Sadly, though, Germany has grown bombastic about the Burgundian peoples, insisting that they should be united into a Greater Germany, and thus refuses alliance with us. Pan-nationalist rebels in the north have greatly expanded them at the cost of minor nations and Denmark. Who knows, maybe they will eventually be able to stand against Bavaria on their own? Certainly they are no threat to the Empire, though.

In regards to Poland and Livonia, We will keep all of your suggestions in mind. But it seems unlikely that that land will be free from Russian control without intervention from the Empire.

(( I will play at some point when I have time. I also need to finish adding the unequal treaty items to Ming, mostly localization now. ))

Last edited:
(( My plan has been to work towards 'groups' of 8 Inf, 8 Art, 2 Dragoon/Hussar/something, 2 Eng, and then to put multiple of those groups together to form each legion. Right now I'm aiming for two of those groups, but low support means I'm having to go short on artillery. And eventually the maximum combat width will be 20, so more that two groups wouldn't be helpful.

Of course, I'm not too good with the military side of things (or really, much of anything past 1890), so I'll gladly continue to take advice! ))

90. 1849-1854 - Summoning the Senate
Senators, your presence is requested for a State of the Empire Address on the Ninth of May, 1854.

The following newspapers are considered significant by the archivists.
90-1.png

90-2.png

90-3.png

90-4.png

90-5.png

90-6.png

90-7.png

90-8.png

90-9.png

90-10.png

90-11.png

90-12.png

90-13.png

90-14.png

90-15.png

90-16.png

90-17.png

And the Senate's world map is being updated.
90-18.png

Last edited:
I don't particularly like the idea of Germany being on good terms with Russia. At least Poland has expanded at their expense.

The papers are overflowing with news of Imperial expansion. Truly these are the golden days of the Empire!

- Michelangelo Favero

Reactions:
We shouldn't bother with German-Hungarian war, as, in my opinion, it was inspired by opressed majority of German people in Austria, and not any kind of imperialism. I insist again on claiming Taiwan, as it may help us in future interventions considering last expansion of Ming dynasty. I suggest to consider invasion of Ceylon to support future interventions in India. We should also look closer to growing importance of Deccan in that region. Also, I again insist on breaking any relations with Poland, as this might lead us to war within our Sphere, and I must say that in my opinion, in case of Livonia-Poland war, we should give what we can to support Livonia, armies or subsidies (if we will be in another war at the same time).

- Alexios Damaskinos

Reactions:
Germany's relations with Russia are unsettling. We should be careful in dealing with them. Remember, the First Empire was destroyed by the Germans when they were uncivilized brutes-Alemanii, they called themselves at the time. They can do it again. Perhaps we can enlist the help of the Poles? If they were willing to fight Russia over Lithuanian territory, they can surely help us against any German treachery.
I fully agree with an invasion of Taiwan. We must deprive Russia of any colonies and truly take our place in the sun! Ming is growing quite strong, and is on good terms with the Koreans. They could be a useful ally against Russia in a future war.
I do not recommend an invasion of India. There are so many people there, and their cultures and traditions are so foreign from our own that integrating them into Roman society would have more costs than benefits. We should instead increase our sphere of influence in the region and build up friendly relations and trade agreements with native rulers, especially the Deccans. We can have the benefits of trade goods from India and an ally in the region, as well as an effective foothold in the subcontinent without the costs of maintenance and providing for millions of new Imperial subjects.

Also, with all due respect, if Your Highness would consider a diplomatic mission to China itself, I recommend myself as ambassador. I am close friends with the Celestial Empire's foreign minister, Lin Zexu, and am fluent in the local languages and traditions.

~Doukas

Reactions:
Whilst I agree with my fellow senators with the Germany and Hungarian war, I am concerned with the Polish invasion of Russia. What is the likelihood of Poland managing to at least white peace with the Bear?

With the Indians perhaps they would better serve us as loyal puppets than us taking their land directly, at least this way we control their destiny.

- Senator Γκρέυ

Reactions:
Whilst I agree with my fellow senators with the Germany and Hungarian war, I am concerned with the Polish invasion of Russia. What is the likelihood of Poland managing to at least white peace with the Bear?

With the Indians perhaps they would better serve us as loyal puppets than us taking their land directly, at least this way we control their destiny.

- Senator Γκρέυ

(( According to the world map, war has already ended with Poland being victorious ))

Reactions:
(( Okay, I'm going to give 3 more days for replies, everything after that (it there anything more after that) won't be considered for the update. However, it is unlikely I'll have a chance to get the update ready. More likely, this AAR will go into hiatus until I'm back from honeymoon. ))

((congrats on the nupitals, hope you are going somewhere nice))

Reactions:
The Third Rome needs to punish the Second Rome! :p

Reactions:
Reactions:
((True, but they only assumed that title when Byzantium fell in 1453. I would think that the Empire in this AAR is the Third Rome, as the Second was Byzantium and the Third is the restored Rome.))
This discussion about a hypothetical "Third" Empire (which ought to never exist, as doing so would mean that our current Empire be destroyed; it is treason to suggest a rebellion against the Empire!) has got me thinking...if the Empire is Roman, why is the capital in Constantinople? We can't have a Roman Empire without a capital in Rome.
Also, how did that guy get into the Senate room? He's not a senator! Somebody call in the Varangian Guard! The Empress is under attack! (Also, somebody improve security here)
Senator Rellis, why do you refer to the Russian menace as a "Third Rome," implying that the Slavic peoples can be as cultured and civilized as the Romans on the level that they are the successors of the Empire? By explicitly saying that Russia is the Third Rome, instead of our Empire, I get the feeling you wish to overthrow the Empress and install the Slavic Tsar as the Imperator. Such talk is treasonous, at best.

((I assumed you were talking in character as you didn't use the double parenthesis.))

~Doukas

Last edited:
Reactions:
if the Empire is Roman, why is the capital in Constantinople?
((Because the original name of Constantinople was Nova Roma thus the Empire is still in Rome.))

Reactions:
If so, then, should we refer to ourselves as the New Roman Empire?

Reactions:
If so, then, should we refer to ourselves as the New Roman Empire?
((No because the name isn't taken from the capital. The unique Roman culture that has evolved over centuries was named after the city. You don't call Germany the Republic of Berlin or France the Republic of Paris do you?))

Reactions:
((I understand now. Thanks for clarifying!))

Reactions: