• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Players often help with that too.

I read the last ‘light’ werewolf game, and the first 15 pages of “Werewolf CCLIX: The City of Wine and Song,” and I can imagine that hosting a “big” game would require a lot of work!

I also noticed that y’all know each other’s playstyles, as both villagers and wolves, quite well. That’d make it more challenging for beginners to join.

Despite the disadvantaged position I’d be in, I’d join a game if there were one. Looks fun! Doubt I’d last long, though. ;)
A Big isn't that much worse than a Lite. Honestly, hosting any game (Big or Lite) should be a fair bit of work if the GM commits to doing it right, but if you have a theme idea that interests you then writing about it is pretty straightforward - and I say this as someone who hates to write. Vote counting is easy and the players often do it for you anyway.

Back when new games were a thing, we had people joining semi-regularly, and I don't think there was too steep a learning curve for the newcomers. Any rookie who makes a halfway decent effort tends to survive for a while. Also, if the veterans all really knew each other's wolf/villager playstyles that well, the games would have gotten boring really fast, rather than being a thing we did for months and even years on end.

But yeah, WW definitely seems to be a thing of the past on this forum anyway. Couldn't quite get enough new blood to keep things running when a bunch of us stopped playing due to other commitments. And while some of the old guard still lingers here and occasionally checks things out, I doubt most of us would have time if a game were to appear. I certainly don't.

Reactions:
It's been years since I played and I don't remember enough to host. I wonder if a "House of the Dragon"-themed game might be a starter, given the series is about to come out.

It's been years since I played and I don't remember enough to host. I wonder if a "House of the Dragon"-themed game might be a starter, given the series is about to come out.
I rather doubt there's enough people left to start a game, but I'd be up for one if there is one.

Reactions:
Count me in as a player if you host it. Wagonlitz is right, getting players can be difficult.

I’ve been curious about these games, so I would also join, and let the virtual wolves gnaw my old bones while I dreamed fruitlessly of revenge. :p

Where wolves?

Proposal:

House of the Dragon - The Masqued Ball

Scenario: The Seven Kingdoms rejoice at the marriage of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen and Laenor Velaryon. In the Red Keep of King's Landing, King Viserys holds a great masqued ball to mark the occassion. Lasting an entire week, it is the King's hope the celebration will help allay the growing ill-feeling of his Lord Hand and the latter's partisans - the would-be "Greens", so named for Queen Alicent's green dress and the green flames of the Hightower when Oldtown goes to war. Unfortunately for the cheery King, his Lord Hand is scheming, scheming away, and hopes to use the ball to dispose of obstacles and inconveniences standing in his way.

Game make up would be:​

11 Courtiers (Villagers)
3 Greens (Wolves)
1 Criston Cole (Green Van Helsing*)
1 Daemon Targaryen (Black Van Helsing*)
1 Mistress of Whispers (Seer)

Van Helsing: Player has three special boons
(1) A single scan to reveal the identity of anyone they chose,
(2) A single at-will murder to take out anyone they chose, at any time in the game,
(3) A chance to take out an enemy if they go down. This chance goes down by 33% if one of the previous powers is used, and 66% if two have been used.

With a possibility of secret powers (for regular villagers/wolves) thrown in for good measure.

What do you guys think?

Reactions:
Proposal:

House of the Dragon - The Masqued Ball

Scenario: The Seven Kingdoms rejoice at the marriage of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen and Laenor Velaryon. In the Red Keep of King's Landing, King Viserys holds a great masqued ball to mark the occassion. Lasting an entire week, it is the King's hope the celebration will help allay the growing ill-feeling of his Lord Hand and the latter's partisans - the would-be "Greens", so named for Queen Alicent's green dress and the green flames of the Hightower when Oldtown goes to war. Unfortunately for the cheery King, his Lord Hand is scheming, scheming away, and hopes to use the ball to dispose of obstacles and inconveniences standing in his way.

Game make up would be:​

11 Courtiers (Villagers)
3 Greens (Wolves)
1 Criston Cole (Green Van Helsing*)
1 Daemon Targaryen (Black Van Helsing*)
1 Mistress of Whispers (Seer)

Van Helsing: Player has three special boons
(1) A single scan to reveal the identity of anyone they chose,
(2) A single at-will murder to take out anyone they chose, at any time in the game,
(3) A chance to take out an enemy if they go down. This chance goes down by 33% if one of the previous powers is used, and 66% if two have been used.

With a possibility of secret powers (for regular villagers/wolves) thrown in for good measure.

What do you guys think?
Utterly unbalanced. Two vHs in what essentially is a lite and with only three wolves.
That's an instant three cleared on night 0 and then it just snowballs from there.
Unless there's curses, and in such a small game there can't be more than one at best, then each seer scan is as reliable as a vH scan. Unless the wolves are lucky and get teh scanners early they stand no chance, and even then likely not.

Reactions:
Utterly unbalanced. Two vHs in what essentially is a lite and with only three wolves.
That's an instant three cleared on night 0 and then it just snowballs from there.
Unless there's curses, and in such a small game there can't be more than one at best, then each seer scan is as reliable as a vH scan. Unless the wolves are lucky and get teh scanners early they stand no chance, and even then likely not.

To balance things out you'd need a cursed villager?

and maybe only one baddie Vh?

To balance things out you'd need a cursed villager?

and maybe only one baddie Vh?
Oh, the vHs were baddies?
Honestly not sure what point they really serve in what essentially is a lite.

But yeah, I was commenting on the belief that the vHs were goodies. And if so then just a curse wouldnt' be enough, imho.

Generally in lites you want to keep things simple. Two baddie vHs could easily utterly gimp the game, and in that case the village doesn't really have much strength. Plus, it's game over day 2 unless a baddie is found... I.e. the village at most has one, single mislynch unless the vHs are hung.
And why give vHs OEO if they're baddies.

I don't completely hate the idea of 2 (goodie) van Helsings in a Lite, provided you have the usual 4 wolves, no seer, and the vH's do NOT have the OEO effect. The JL wouldn't be quite as ridiculous as it often is, and the goodies have some serious strengths to them. It's probably a bit too weighted towards the goodies, but I could see it working.

But really, I think if you want a bunch of fancy roles in a game, you just run a Big and hope you get the players to make it work.

Hello forum mafia/werewolf player checking in! I hear yall need players!
We do.
Quite a bit.

But not sure there really are enough people anymore.
Part of the problem is that once you lose steam people slowly drift away. It's much harder to restart something like this than it is to have it continue by inertia.

:p Don’t you be scaring off our prey, Wagon! You’re supposed to help lure them in! Bad dog! :p

Yes, yessss, @Chumley1 —we need players!

Even more, we need someone who can host a game.

We do.
Quite a bit.

But not sure there really are enough people anymore.
Part of the problem is that once you lose steam people slowly drift away. It's much harder to restart something like this than it is to have it continue by inertia.
I feel this quite a bit, however nothing's truly gone unless you let it! And even just a small game is like blood in the water, the activity will both bring back old faces and attract new ones as well.

On that note, howdy! I really should poke my head in here more often considering how much I'm in other areas of the site, but I'd be someone interested in helping with any rebuilding efforts!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'll try and put up a big in the coming days.
We'll see then if there's interest.
Bigs always had more interest than lites, so if something is gonna work it's gonna be a big.

Part of the problem is that this sub forum is essentially hidden.
You can't even see the online rpgs under fun forums from the main page anymore. And ot forum games is fully hidden under that and never has been visible.

And with people seemingly more and more using Discord to discuss PDX games then it only gets harder.
There used to be a thriving community in ot forum games that played all kinds of games, but people more or less moves those games to other sites. Which then also harmed WW, as that made less people look here regularly. Which again meant fewer players.

Reactions: