Why the outliner is always going to be cluttered

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If anyone isn't using tinyoutliner by this point then I agree, the game is unplayable. How the default outliner still exists bewilders me. Do the devs only test games that go to 2250 on tiny size galaxies?
At least a few QAs use the Tiny Outliner as well, they’ve said so in those Discord Q&As (in response to a question I asked about too much scrolling). I wish they’d work together with that creator and build this UI upgrade into the game itself, so more people use it and there is less risk of breaking things with every update.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure I entirely agree on that - I played a lot of Endless Space and ES2, and I had realism-viability issues with the way that certain "buildings" and such automatically applied effects across an entire system. Plus I'm not in favor of the way that Stellaris currently locks out multiple owners within a single system (i.e., some assets in a system owned by one nation or power group, while one or more of the others are owned by another group, like a rebellion or primitives or whatever). I could see having a system-level screen for managing all of the assets owned by an empire within that system, and "an idea" of what else is owned by others (e.g., defensive support bases, espionage/pirate bases).
Why’d you have issues with buildings having system-level effects? It just represents an infrastructure project, why not? I mean, a single “buidling” in stellaris has planet-wide effects, it’s not a huge leap of the imagination to go on a system level?

look, I can do it with one word:
- planetary stock exchange
- system stock exchange

Why’d you have issues with buildings having system-level effects? It just represents an infrastructure project, why not? I mean, a single “buidling” in stellaris has planet-wide effects, it’s not a huge leap of the imagination to go on a system level?

look, I can do it with one word:
- planetary stock exchange
- system stock exchange
I wasn't as clear as I should have been - a "building" fully constructed on one planet, often with a fluff description that it would apply to that one planet, then having a full effect on another planet in the system once it's colonized, doesn't make sense to me. Having "buildings" that from the outset affect the entire system isn't that much of an issue, just that it needs to be clear that you're paying for a system-wide "building". There should probably be a higher cost for system-wide "buildings" when the system is bigger, even after the initial construction is completed, requiring upgrades to be purchased/built to affect more. But most "buildings" on planets should affect that planet only, even in a multi-planet system - this is the opposite of Endless Space and ES2, which only had a handful of "buildings" at purely the planetary level.

I wasn't as clear as I should have been - a "building" fully constructed on one planet, often with a fluff description that it would apply to that one planet, then having a full effect on another planet in the system once it's colonized, doesn't make sense to me. Having "buildings" that from the outset affect the entire system isn't that much of an issue, just that it needs to be clear that you're paying for a system-wide "building". There should probably be a higher cost for system-wide "buildings" when the system is bigger, even after the initial construction is completed, requiring upgrades to be purchased/built to affect more. But most "buildings" on planets should affect that planet only, even in a multi-planet system - this is the opposite of Endless Space and ES2, which only had a handful of "buildings" at purely the planetary level.
Yeah sure, all your suggestions are fine. I mean obviously if Stellaris decided to go to a higher level than “planetary” as its basic building block then the fluff and balance of system infrastructure would change accordingly. Goes without saying.