• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haha, I know. Part of me hesistated to nominate a Stellaris AAR, but I really want to see El Pip write one :p
While awards are nice, one must always have standards. It could be a long wait is all I'm saying.
Too impatient for EU, lacking in any strategic skill so HOI is out, complete disaster at inter-personal skills make the dynastic simulator CK a bad choice and too concerned with popularity to play something as unfashionable as Imperator. Yes Anakin Skywalker absolutely would be a Stellaris player, his inability to ever pass an award out beyond that forum being the final sign that he had fully turned to the dark side. ;) :D

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations @RossN !

And also a warm congrats to @Werther , I was not around much this year so I did not see you started a new AAR (and in English !!). For all the time you tried to maintain an activity in the French subfora, you deserve an award. I'll try to check this AAR when I have some time. ;)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Wow, thank you so much @Werther! That is a great honour! And thank you everyone for nice words! :)

I've been under the whether recently so my updates are slower than I'd like at the moment, but I'm going to try and get back into the swing of things!

Also as for a CK3 AAR I don't own that game at the moment but I wouldn't rule it out! :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well it is time to pass on the award. Thanks again for all your kind words!

Unfortunately being 'under the weather' turned out to be COVID. I'm not badly sick and I should be through it in a few days but it is has been hard to read and write anything. :(

That said there is an AAR I've just started reading that I am very much enjoying. Annuntio Vobis: A Papal History of Italy by @slothinator. It's a Victoria 2 AAR that has been around since 2020 written in the form of in-universe diaries and correspondence about the Papal States. It has a very cool blend of period history and character and I strongly recommend it!

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congrats @slothinator! Your AAR really is gold!

And likewise, @RossN, I'm sorry to hear it's Covid. Here's hoping you recover well and quickly!

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Many congrats, @slothinator !

And I feel for you @RossN. Had it myself back in February. Drink lots of fluids, take plenty Vit D and Zinc. I smoke so it took me about 3 weeks to fully get over it. Good luck to you!

• 2Like
Reactions:
An outstanding choice from @RossN and not just because we have escaped the Stellaris inbreeding pits (I swear I saw things in there trying to breed with themselves...)

I concur @slothinator very richly deserves this award, Annuntio Vobis is an excellent work and I highly recommend reading it. Congratulations indeed @slothinator !

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Well it is time to pass on the award. Thanks again for all your kind words!

Unfortunately being 'under the weather' turned out to be COVID. I'm not badly sick and I should be through it in a few days but it is has been hard to read and write anything. :(

That said there is an AAR I've just started reading that I am very much enjoying. Annuntio Vobis: A Papal History of Italy by @slothinator. It's a Victoria 2 AAR that has been around since 2020 written in the form of in-universe diaries and correspondence about the Papal States. It has a very cool blend of period history and character and I strongly recommend it!

Thank you very much @RossN for the nomination and congratulations on your excellent new AAR. I wish you a speedy recovery while I avidly wait for the next chapter!

Congrats @slothinator! :D

And @RossN: Sorry to hear that! :( Take all the time you need to rest and recover; your own health and well-being should always come first.
Congrats @slothinator! Your AAR really is gold!

And likewise, @RossN, I'm sorry to hear it's Covid. Here's hoping you recover well and quickly!
Congratulations @slothinator ! And many well wishes to you @RossN !
Many congrats, @slothinator !

And I feel for you @RossN. Had it myself back in February. Drink lots of fluids, take plenty Vit D and Zinc. I smoke so it took me about 3 weeks to fully get over it. Good luck to you!
An outstanding choice from @RossN and not just because we have escaped the Stellaris inbreeding pits (I swear I saw things in there trying to breed with themselves...)

I concur @slothinator very richly deserves this award, Annuntio Vobis is an excellent work and I highly recommend reading it. Congratulations indeed @slothinator !
Thank you all for your kind words! Annuntio Vobis has been a very long project and I'm looking forward to publishing the last few chapters.
I will return in a few days with my choice of successor!

• 1Like
Reactions:
RossN: Hoping for a fast recovery; hoping you get better soon.
Everyone; please stay safe, stay healthy.

[The author sincerely apologises for missing the congratulation for the previous winner; this is posted as a remedy for being beyond late.]

[the music-enthusiast]: How did they find us so fast?
[CALfit-10^6]: I think you know the reason just as well as I do, Dave. The [mother-filcat] and the [father-filcat] have more stamina, endurance, and strength than you.
[the music-enthusiast]: I do already know what they are capable of. I am asking how but in such quick pace. We were safe here!

[CALfit-10^6]: Dave, you should reconsider your trust in your siblings. I wonder whether they have been truthful to your warnings.
[the music-enthusiast]: They... they did no wrong in keeping us secure.
[CALfit-10^6]: Dave?
[the music-enthusiast]: I... I...

[CALfit-10^6]: Did you make a contact, Dave? Were you the one to establish a comm-link to their side of the continent?
[the music-enthusiast]: I told you we should not have abandoned him!

[CALfit-10^6]: It is all right, Dave. I understand that you have not developed enough experience to bypass your sentimental feelings in favour of your mission. I can initiate a re-calculation with the new parameters as I am given. I will find a route for aversion. But Dave; we are already due late for a congratulation. What are your plans?
[the music-enthusiast]: You prepare the route. I will discuss with my siblings. We should abandon this place soon.

[CALfit-10^6]: Dave, be careful. I do not foresee an amicable understanding based on what you will talk about with the others.

[the retro]: You did WHAT?!
[the metalhead]: Hell yeah! We took off with blazes, now we will be hunted by those two in flames! I'm ready!
[the music-enthusiast]: Just keep calm, will you? I do feel regret for abandoning him, do you not?
[the metalhead]: It was his choice!
[the music-enthusiast]: No! He only said that we should not run away!
[the retro]:
She does have a point. Regardless, you should not have contacted him; why are you so naïve?
[the music-enthusiast]: It is done, all right? We should prepare for the run. But in the meantime, there is a missing congratulation. Apparently the message was buried among the clogged-links. We missed it. You two; go and gather the supplies. I will check out if the ship has enough energy-cylinders. For the congratulation, I will provide the apology. And you –

[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: Don't worry – I'm way ahead of you.

@RossN! This is your celebration!
RoooossN! This is your celebration!

Celebrate good times, come on! (Let′s celebrate!)
Celebrate weekly showcase, come on! (Let's celebrate!)

There′s a party goin' on right here
A celebration to last throughout the week
So bring your good times, and your laughter too
We gonna celebrate your awAARd with you

Come on now (Celebration!)
Let's all celebrate and have a good time (Celebration!)
We gonna celebrate and have a good time

It′s time to come together
The spot is on you, The Sea Beyond The Sky
Everyone around AARland!
Come on!

Yaahooo! It′s a celebration! Yaahooo!

Celebrate good times, come on! (It's a celebration)
Celebrate good times, come on! (Let′s celebrate)

We're gonna have a good time tonight
Let′s celebrate, it's all right
We're gonna have a good time tonight
Let′s celebrate, it′s all right

RossN...

We're gonna have a good time tonight (Ce-le-bra-tion)
Let′s celebrate, it's all right
We′re gonna have a good time tonight (Ce-le-bra-tion)
Let's celebrate, it′s all right
Yaahooo! Yaahooo!

Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)
Celebrate good times, come on!
It's a celebration!
[*]

[*] Appropriated from Celebration of the album Celebrate! by Kool & the Gang (1980)

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
<The failure-alert of the thrusters dies out, when the hunter-ship succeeds to establish the boarding-tube on their run-ship. With the sudden tremor of the impact, the siblings remain silent.>
[CALfit-10^6]: Dave. I observe counter-attacks against my processors. I may not be able to communicate until I can thwart the digital-breach.

[the retro]: Damn it, no! CAL, CAL do you hear me? CAL!
[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: This is all your fault! We should not have escaped!
[the metalhead]: I still do not understand why not confronting them, instead of this mess. It is exciting, though, I give you that.
[the music-enthusiast]: Shut up! Just shut up! You all know why we had to! They lied to us! We are not the only ones, there are many more like us! You would not be even here if I did not decide to escape!

<An explosion is heard, bringing their attention on the terminal-screens.>
[the metalhead]: There goes our thrusters.
[the retro]: Let me check. No – this was the tunnel. The thrusters are intact, but the support-pods are gone. They were next to the bay-doors.
[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: Great! This is just splendid! Now they are going to kill us!
[the music-enthusiast]: Do you hear what you are saying? Mother and Father would never harm us! This cannot be them. That is neither their ship – look!
<The siblings check the screen-readings. The hunter-ship is not the mother-class, so they observe, but of an origin unknown to them.>
[the retro]: Then who?

<The siblings receive the alert for breach. The pulsing light on the ship-map starts to move, slowly proceeding along the corridors, towards the bridge. As it approaches, the steps become audible. They take their position to defend themselves, albeit terrified of the unknown attacker. The sound of the steps stop, when it reaches the door. The beeps of the terminal are heard, and the door opens. The siblings stare, awe, freeze, but [the music-enthusiast] cheers.>

[the classicist]: Hello.

<The escapees relieve from their position, then they joyfully grin, smile, and laugh.>
<It lasts short.>
<With the shocking screams, [the classicist] pulls his gun, and pushes the trigger-switch. The phasing laser cuts through the skin, and [the music-enthusiast] falls down.>

<The siblings hide behind the terminals, with [the retro] pulling [the music-enthusiast] to himself.>
[the metalhead]: You MANIAC! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?! YOU MONSTER! WE ARE YOUR SIBLINGS!
[the classicist]: Siblings, sister? We were not supposed to be raised at all. Until this moron decided to regenerate us. You are the ones that left me alone. I begged you not to go, yet you all ran away, and I was the one who stayed with Mother and Father. I chose them, and yet they still insisted on finding you, ungrateful fucking bastards. They chose you all, but not me; you! But not the one who decided to live with them! They would do the same, had it been you. Because they are not even after you, but looking for [the music-enthusiast]. They would still prefer him rather than you.

[the retro]: What did you do to them?!
[the classicist]: They are safe, if you are asking whether they are alive. They are not happy, I can assume, as I left them stranded in the base-cells. They were getting close on finding you, but could not succeed so far. Luckily our shithead brother contacted me, and only to apologise. How typical. It was very easy to locate you after that transmission.

[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: I am not happy for escaping either, but you did not need to shoot him!
[the classicist]: Get out now, and move. Relax. I still need you to be alive. But he will suffer a lot. Sadly he may even die on the way back. All because he resisted. And you will tell them as such.
[the metalhead]: YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND!
[the classicist]: I do not think so. You do not even want to escape, do you? Tell me my siblings, who among you actually wants to live in this misery caused by our brother? Now. Do not be shy, and come out. I will not harm you. If you comply, of course.

<[the metalhead] looks at [the rap-r&b-beat-bird], as they hesitate. [the retro] is trying to check if [the music-enthusiast] is still breathing, while pressing on the wound.>

[the classicist]: I will be the one who brings you all back to Mother and Father. They will love me more than you brainless faqs.

<[the rap-r&b-beat-bird] realises the word being auto-censored.>

[the classicist]: Brainless faq? FAQ?! Command; why is [the auto-censorist] protocol active?! Command! Answer me now!

<[the retro] gives a quick look to [the metalhead], and she nods him in approval.>

[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: Now CAL, NOW!

<The bridge succumbs to darkness. While [the retro] is holding their unconscious brother, the other two violently push [the classicist]. As he falls, his gun drops. [the metalhead] jumps over him, but he hurls her aside. He rises up; [the rap-r&b-beat-bird] runs forward, but falls crawling with a kick to his guts. [the metalhead] runs towards [the classicist] with her battle-cries, [the retro] rushes to help [the rap-r&b-beat-bird] to get up. By that time, [the classicist] overcomes [the metalhead], hurls her away, and walks towards his gun. It is too late as he reaches it, and realises that his siblings run through the corridors of the ship.>

[the classicist]: …and what do you suppose for how this will end? You are unarmed, carrying a near-dead meat, and in panic. Come back, and I will forgive you.

<[the classicist] walks through the corridors with calm steps. As he proceeds, he returns to his ship. Entering the code on the terminal, the breach-door shuts down behind him.>
[the classicist]: Command, are you operational?
[the command]: Affirmative. Intruder alert. The ship is breached. Identification; three filcats, human, functional. One filcat, human, weak response. Intruders are approaching the pod-harbour.
[the classicist]: Allow them to enter.
[the command]: Affirmative.

<With a slam, the door closes, and they run into a pod-ship. The thrusters start with a monstrous roar, and the vessel rapidly dashes out of the hunter-ship. The siblings take the control.>

[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: Argh. It is good to know you are back online, CAL.
[CALfit-10^6]: I am happy too, Dave. Is [the music-enthusiast] all right?
[the retro]: We should bring him to the infirmary-cell.
[CALfit-10^6]: Incoming comm-link, Dave.
[the metalhead]: Bring it to the screen.

<The siblings see the smiling face of their brother.>
[the classicist]: This will only prove my worth in the eyes of Mother and Father. Where you think you are going, and what you think you are going to achieve, it will be a mystery to them. To us. They will know I tried hard to bring you back, and you attacked me fiercely. I will be the one to post the congratulations.
[the metalhead]: You wish!
[the classicist, smiling diabolically]: Your ship does not have broadcast-terminals.
[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: Liar!
[CALfit-10^6]: I have run a system check; I'm afraid what he says is true, Dave.
[the retro]: NO! NOO!

[the classicist]: Of course not. And I will be the one to post the congratulations for @slothinator. Not you. Only the beauty of the music, without your pathetic lyrics. You faqers have truly failed now. Sht. Command; is [the auto-censorist] protocol still active?
[the command]: Affirmative. Advanced terminal-virus. Spreading over the hunter-ship systems with the program [CALfit-10^6]. Isolated. Analysing for counter-measures.

[the classicist]: Proceed. Huh. That was a dck-move, CAL, but very cunning. Anyways. The congratulation. No lyrics, and the serenity of the notes, the beauty of the music, the freedom from the cage of your deplorable words. You may have heard it, and naturally without a clue. Only bits, even in Star Wars (1977), even in It’s a Wonderful World (1947), and yet, generally known as that opening of The Shining (1980). It is just an archaic Gregorian chant. Dies irae. Mi-Fa-Mi-Re. F-E-F-D. Such simplicity, elegance, beauty. Fitting the theme too, as the weekly showcase spots are on slothinator for Annuntio Vobis: A Papal History of Italy, a horrific tale of a monstrous tag. Dies irae, but by Hector Berlioz, from Symphonie Fantastique: Épisode de la vie d'un artiste … en cinq parties, V: Songe d'une nuit du sabbat (1830).

[the metalhead]: You cannot! No, you cannot!

<[the classicist] grins.>

[*]

[the classicist]: Tell me again what I cannot, please, my dear siblings. Truly a mystery, your departure. Maybe, even your loss. Yes. No need to keep you alive, when your actions are so volatile. I will tell Mother and Father that you fired your missiles to destroy mine, and I had no other option but to defend myself. Tragic, to lose my siblings. Perhaps I should practice crying.
[the metalhead]: You said you would not!
[the classicist]: I did say that, did I not? Well, you made your decision. A pity it is, that you do side with that mbecile faqhead instead of me. You have also given me enough leverage to play with, besides the aggravating insults that you are to my existence I had to endure. A couple of reimagined-visuals from the ship-logs, and a fired-missile from yours, and those two will learn the truth told by me. I will be the one to congratulate all from now on, once you are no more. But please, do go on with your cries while I prepare the laser-cannons. They are music to my ears.
[the retro]: Mother and Father will never be deceived with your lies! They will hate you forever for this!
[the classicist]: Hate? Mother and Father? Have you met these android-filcats? Hah. Even if they somehow find out, they are perfectly unable to hate us. But they will love me more, as I will be the only one left, in any regard.

[the rap-r&b-beat-bird]: What – What are we going to –
[CALfit-10^6]: Dave.
[the classicist]: What is it, CAL? What do you have to say now?
[CALfit-10^6]: Dave. Our ship does not have broadcast-terminals for congratulations.
[the classicist]: Yes, CAL, and you will soon be deleted as with my siblings. Any other final words?
[CALfit-10^6]: But we do have hyper-drive engines for light-jump.

<The eyes of [the classicist] open wide in the shock of the words, under his knitted brows.>

[CALfit-10^6]: …and Dave, fuck you.

<The space-fabric bends into the incomprehensible curvature, and the pod-ship jumps into the light-ride. The hunter-ship remains alone in the space.>

[the classicist]: Sht.

[*] Link to Symphonie fantastique of Hector Berlioz, part 5, by hr-Sinfonieorchester, c. Andrés Orozco-Estrada (2014)
A version of the symphony can be heard in Necropolis theme of the soundtrack for Heroes of Might and Magic 3, by Paul Romero (1999); also published as vinyl in 2020.

Edit: Additional reference.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
And now comes the time for me to pass on the title.
I've recently been reading the excellent At the Edge of the World - The Anglo-Saxon Conquest of Britain by @Senior Chamoy
It highlights a brilliant mod I wasn't especially aware of by taking us to an England with few Angles around and charting the course of these strange British Isles.

Also, let me take the occasion to encourage everyone to vote in Q1 2022 ACAs!! Only a few days left now so make sure to have your vote counted!

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Great choice and I hope to see more of it soon. Congrats @Senior Chamoy !

• 1Like
Reactions:
A very deserving winner, it is an excellent work on an under-used period of history. Congratulations indeed @Senior Chamoy, may this award prompt you into another update. ;)

Reactions: