[Megathread] Leviathan Release Problems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
but why are you looking for that post?
You are missing the point. The question is not why I'm looking for a post, what I will use for etc. The point is that this mega thread by design is a messy pit where no proper discussion can take place. It's an excellent way to censor any would-be criticism and still argue that you don't outright remove any discussion. You just bunch it all together in a mess that nobody can use for anything and where threads are simply plastered all over each other.

Reactions:
You are missing the point. The question is not why I'm looking for a post, what I will use for etc. The point is that this mega thread by design is a messy pit where no proper discussion can take place. It's an excellent way to censor any would-be criticism and still argue that you don't outright remove any discussion. You just bunch it all together in a mess that nobody can use for anything and where threads are simply plastered all over each other.
this is not the place for proper discussion. the regular forums are for that.

Reactions:
It is - besides that old saves are not working, the NA balancing is still a mess and the vassal cb is not there (bug)
One more question I have. Can I play the game after 1500s? I've had read several posts suggesting that game becomes broken in that time.

Blaming your customers for not enjoying your broken, nonfunctional product that does not work as advertised is not acceptable in any industry other than video games.
Yeah, just one day I wish I'd have people defend my work after a major screw up like video game consumers do. Not sure why we're giving these companies so much slack all the time.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This thread became derailed to hell and should be closed or at least reorganized with wipe of all recent pages.

Reactions:
I gave a try on North America tribes, and while it was a fun game to play, there are a few problems to adress, IMO (I hope this hasn't been said before) (I don't have the new DLC, for reference) :

- (Feature?) The federation reform "federation constitution" (which unite the federation under your control) is quite underwhelming. There is of course the decrease in military strenght it brings, similar to other decision, but since AI rarely settle their provinces, their 18-25 dev provinces turn into 6-8 dev ones.

- (Bug) This same reform also has a bug with the tribal land : uniting the federation does give you the settle land of the federate members, but not their tribal land, which they still own, despite them not being on the map anymore. Moreover, since they are not on the map, you cannot add their land to your empire by declaring war on them, and the button "add land" is greyed out, turning these provinces into no man's land until you can colonize it via regular means. (you can still migrate to them if you have the right government reform)

- (Feature?) Federation member who switch to Republic/Monarchy/Theocracy/Horde seem to leave automatically the federation. I find it very weird to have to vassalize your former "allies" (which is quite easy, since their military or economic power doesn't change) in order to get back their provinces.

- (Bug) You can change your government reform from "settled" to "nomad", but all your settled land except your capital will became colonies, with the colonization bar completely filled. These "colonies" won't have any maintenace cost, but will not ever became regular territories, even if your government reform change back to "settled"
1620235850074.png

- (Feature?) When you settle a province, it gains the original culture of it, not yours. I find this very strange, since it you use your tribal development, your people to do so.

Edit : Thanks for the free patch, anyway, Paradox, and I hope the other remaining problems will be fixed soon!

Edit 2 : Maybe a technology-locked native building to decrease the governing capacity cost of your provinces could be cool. I was kinda forced to settle only on my capital area in my last run.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Well if it is an apology you want, Johan wrote one on behalf of Tinto and then apparently unwrote it, because now it's gone. Can still find screenshots of it on Reddit, though, if you want to look for it.

Honi soit qui mal y pense​

It was a half-assed apology, at best. Came off more as "we're sorry you feel entitled to an apology" than anything else.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It is also acceptable in gastronomy in certain parts of the world. But that's pretty much it.
Actually, it's acceptable in any kind of activity that is considered art.

Yeah, just one day I wish I'd have people defend my work after a major screw up like video game consumers do. Not sure why we're giving these companies so much slack all the time.
Last time I checked, no one is forcing anything to do anything, just as it should be.

Certain companies I'd never do business with again because of previous experiences. Paradox isn't in that camp. They tend to fix their products even if the releases are sometimes messy. They are actually better and good quality releases than Creative Assembly.. another company that I continue to buy products from.

NOW.. the important thing here is not that I buy their products, but WHEN I buy them. I wait until it is very clear that all the major bugs have been fixed. I let everyone else do the testing, and am rewarded by my patience with either 1) buying a product that is stable; or 2) completely avoiding a dumpster fire. I didn't buy Rome 2 until Emperor Edition came out.. and didn't by Imperator until after 2.0 was released. I'm older, and busy.. so I like to spend my free time playing games, not beta testing unstable software. This level of patience tends to be non-existent for many people.... and frankly it mystifies me since the games are in the single player space. Multiplayer? Sure.. you need to get it when it is fairly new to play with all the other folks playing. But single player games don't age that way (they did back in the day.. but we are quite a distance from the early days of Windows and releases that broke products hard.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Well if we go by pure numbers then something Fortnite is the best game in the universe but we all know that is not exactly true. There are plenty of terrible games out there with massive numbers of players. Take every single Call of Duty game for the past 10 years for example. Not saying CK3 is 100% bad since I haven't played it yet but if I did I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I have CK2. Imperator was starting to be one of my favourite games but they stopped development becasue not enough people were playing it. I feel like I got March of the Eagles'ed with this so hard.

Good/Bad are subjective terms and only refer to YOUR reaction to it. Fortnite/Call of Duty aren't good for YOU. Fortnite/Call of Duty are undeniably successful and popular, this means others consider the games to be Good. People don't part with their money for 'bad' unless forced.

Stated directly: I disagree with your thesis on Fortnite (and I don't play it.. just not interesting to me).

• 1Like
Reactions:
In PDX, making quality releases gets you the animosity of big bosses?

Not sure why... but I feel compelled to write something. My first and probably last opinion here as it will most likely backslash.

I would assume that like any software company, someone is looking at the numbers (Profit vs lost) on a weekly or even daily basis and decided to go ahead with the release of the product no matter the state. I'm sure the entire PDX unit knew the state of the product and what was going to happen. It's highly unlikely nobody raised the alarm internally and that they didn't know it was going to blow up. But it ended up be a purely business decision to respect the deadline.

In my experience, QA and the development team don't make any decision for release in the industry. They give the best accurate picture and someone makes a business decision out of it. Funny thing, it usually costs more time to fix after, but usually, dev teams are fixing the mess with unpaid overtime in many companies and the gaming industry is not known to be the most lucrative for their developer if you calculate the number of hours they work vs yearly compensation.

So in a few months managers and shareholders will be happy when they see the quarterly review (QBR). It's a calculated risk for them that they may lose a few customers, but the past has proven that people will calm down and continue buying eventually. The community is addicted to this kind of games and there's not so many alternatives out there for grand strategy. It's not like you bought an appliance or a car that failed and you can turn to the dozens of competitors out there that do something similar.

After three decades leading teams in the software industry, that's the pattern I observed anyway... But yeah I don'T work at PBX, so will never know what happened in those meeting rooms when the dev team argued with Management if they should release or not. That could be entertaining I'm sure...

Cheers,

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: