[Megathread] Leviathan Release Problems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good/Bad are subjective terms and only refer to YOUR reaction to it. Fortnite/Call of Duty aren't good for YOU. Fortnite/Call of Duty are undeniably successful and popular, this means others consider the games to be Good. People don't part with their money for 'bad' unless forced.

Stated directly: I disagree with your thesis on Fortnite (and I don't play it.. just not interesting to me).
Well I actually played fortnite and can agrue on how it's badly designed and has no value other than scamming kids for their mom's credit card. And don't get me started on Call of Duty, I started playing Call of Duty with the 1st game and untill MW3 it was one of my favourite games in the entire universe. I don't think we should argue on why theese games are bad in a forum about EU4 but you are wrong, they are terrible and there are many reasons why that is true.

Reactions:
I love Paradox games. Heck, I game every day and don't play a single thing that isn't a paradox title. I've got 10,000+ hours in my three favorite grand strategy games (Eu4, Stellaris, and CK2). Would love to get into Imperator Rome and CK3 but my computer isn't powerful enough to run them at a playable speed. I've never posted to complain about the dev process, and, in fact, have only ever posted to defend design changes that I liked that I thought got unfairly piled on (I LIKED the territorial corruption mechanic, and I LOVE the pop changes to Stellaris - finally makes it playable to victory year IMO). I also don't come on here to bellyache about the DLC model - I have every DLC for my top games and I've honestly never felt like it was money poorly spent.

I also really like the changes made in Leviathan, bugs aside. That's why I posted to defend Leviathan last week, despite knowing I would get derided for it by some of the more entitled members of the community. I'm really excited for this update to work and can't wait to dive in, but I can't right now due to all the bugs and I am starting to get genuinely frustrated with Paradox (a first for me). Your company has a LOT of goodwill from me, and, unlike many, given the solid history of putting the time into fixes and improvements constantly, I don't at all feel ripped off or like I want to demand a refund or attack the staff or anything like that.

However, it would really mean a lot to me to get some more consistent communication on the progress of fixing the game. I realize that time spent responding to forum posts is time not spent on fixes, and I also get that the more people pile on with nasty, unproductive bile, the less one feels like engaging (I work in free legal aid to the poor so I'm VERY familiar with getting abusive messages about not working fast enough on things I can't possibly speed up). But it would do a lot to make me and other members of the community feel like this is being taken seriously to just have some more transparency on ongoing problems. The, honestly gamebreaking, lack of vassalization options bug is a big case in point. It's been two days and it destroys a core mechanic. It would mean a lot just to have a post or a news update saying "we know there's a problem and are trying to get you a fix ASAP." I'm not even asking that you give a date certain it will be fixed, whether that's possible depends on factors I don't expect you to control - please just tell me it's a top priority. It would also mean a lot to get feedback on the performance slowdown and whether a change is in the works. Again, I don't need specific promises that you might not be able to honestly give - just to know it's acknowledged and being looked at. As it is, I've gone from being unable to play Stellaris past mid-game (now it runs beautifully, thank the Blorg), to being unable to get through a century of Eu4 with all the hanging on first of the month ticks and other mysterious calculations. Given the scale of problems with this update (a function, I think, of how ambitious it was, which I applaud and don't begrudge), I think a daily or at least weekly update on bug squashing progress from someone on the public engagement team would really be appropriate.

tl:dr - I am a huge fan of what you guys do, and I have faith you will fix the current problems. But please, please, communicate more frequently about the process and what is being looked at for the next hotfix. I really want to know when I can play my favorite game again.

Thanks.
Sean

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Ah, the sound of innocence ending. Beautiful, really.
He liked territory corruption. He was not innocent at all, he was guilty of a mortal sin all this time.

He liked territory corruption. He was not innocent at all, he was guilty of a mortal sin all this time.
The buggy Leviathan release was sent us for our sins. :(

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I didn't think they could mess this up, but they have somehow.
1620364704141.png

You can clearly see that the two new tech group icons have the background gear placed higher than in every other sprite. Seriously?

They are also lazy with the units because the Polynesian unit types are just a neutered version of Aboriginal, having their unit pips ripped straight out of the Aboriginal group and the only difference being the lack of choices and different localization. At this point you might as well pull an African tech groups and make them all share the same unit types.

Also, if you have not already heard, the new tech groups also have extreme bias.
Polynesians and Australians get 22 infantry pips at tech 26 (the same as Western at tech 30, and higher than all other tech groups until the end of the game).

Another thing: the Ming patch is super lazy. Celestial Empire gives +470 government cap. Why such an awkward number? Because it was blatantly hard coded in to avoid the issue, despite the balance issue this causes because now Ming states all their land and doesn't have 50k at game start (well, at least AI Ming is not as awful now).

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Since the release of the Hotfix and before of the DLC, I screwed around a bit in my free time by starting random games to use the new "features"...
Whilst playing istumbled about some oddities such as NA tribes Full annexing mainland Portugal in 1567 (which was hilarious and a damn pog moment in my opinion)
and others which were detailed before. But what really buckled my knuckle was that i somehow broke my game by literally using estates Gov. buttons, and my damn pu subjects keep spitting out vassels (which is stupid, why the hell should prussia keep spitting out the damn Livonian Order SIX times and yes after i went into normal mode and did it with console commands and its done by every nation even when denmark integrates norway they get instantly spit out again ^^).
I came to realization that if i use the call the estates button without unpausing the day i get permanently locked out of the button, hence the game believes I have a running agenda, whilst i have none.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
« To this war of every man against every man, this also is consequent; that nothing can be unjust. The notions of right and wrong, justice and injustice, have there no place. Where there is no common power, there is no law; where no law, no injustice. »
Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan, Chap XIII.

When Thomas Hobbes released its Leviathan, it made a heavy mess. It kinda half nailed down something Adam Smith would hammer a century later : that self interest is driving the world, that man in the state of nature is inherently violent, that individuals are fundamentally equal and that, by fear of a violent death, they will willingly abdicate their right of nature in favor of an absolute sovereign who will guarantee the public peace thanks to the power of repression at his disposal. Reason should therefore overcome passion in every important matter. Well, in 1650 english society (and abroad), it got received with... a lot of passion.

When Paradox released its Leviathan, it made heavy mess. Hammers got fastly put out, ready to nail down heads. Is self interest driving madly the world to oblivion ? Is man in state of matured frustration irrevocably violent ? Are individuals still able to see each other as equals ? Would people abdicate unfortunately their ability to discuss on favor of a baffled company who got everything on a bigger scale thanks to the close and long living discussions with their community ? It seems people found lots of reasons to get passioned. Well, in 2021 paradox community (and around), I hope we'll find some passion for respectfully reasoning... in a common sense (no matter what Hobbes thinks).

Honestly, I didn't read everything here, but I wanna contribute a Bug: I started as the Teutonic Order and gave the priviledge that changes tag to Danzig w/o the whole Poland thingy. Changing to Danzig also majes you a republic, my ruler, who should have ruled for 4 years, is now 77 in 1505 or so and has ruled for about 45 years without an election. Don't know, maybe it is connwcted to the estate bug where the agenda popup doesn't show up.

Reactions:
A lot of events with minimum monarch skills are broken. Instead of the minimum skill "X" they give exactly "X" skill. For example, Talented and Ambitious Daughter event creates the heir with 3/3/3 every time. It is not look like something intended.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Honestly, I didn't read everything here, but I wanna contribute a Bug: I started as the Teutonic Order and gave the priviledge that changes tag to Danzig w/o the whole Poland thingy. Changing to Danzig also majes you a republic, my ruler, who should have ruled for 4 years, is now 77 in 1505 or so and has ruled for about 45 years without an election. Don't know, maybe it is connwcted to the estate bug where the agenda popup doesn't show up.
Sounds like the event bug many have reported (events simply don't fire until you save and reload, for you the event "new election")

Reactions: