[Megathread] Leviathan Release Problems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

neheri

Sergeant
24 Badges
Feb 24, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
I own all DLCs, 73% achievements and 2696 hours put into that game. I would normally buy the upcoming DLC as well. However because of the events related to Emperor release (game being unplayable for 2 months+) and because of the way the new studio works I am really worried about Leviathan. I hope many other people will be cautious and it will make PDX consider changing the way the currently treat their customers (the players).

I am going to watch some twitch/youtube video and if I see:

- countries disbanding their troops on the first day (OPMs reducing the amount of troops by 2/3)
- debt spiral nightmare to continue to be the case.

I am 100% sure I won't buy this one ever. Not even saying anything about bugs that've been around for ages, I bet there are some new coming as well.

The devs didn't even have time to write dev diary last week (few hours of work at worst) and there's no achievements, no changelog yet. Sometimes tells me that this expansion is just yet another cashgrab.

If I see people liking the DLC and most important bugs fixed then I will change my mind and buy the game.

• 32Like
Reactions:
I own all DLCs, 73% achievements and 2696 hours put into that game. I would normally buy the upcoming DLC as well. However because of the events related to Emperor release (game being unplayable for 2 months+) and because of the way the new studio works I am really worried about Leviathan. I hope many other people will be cautious and it will make PDX consider changing the way the currently treat their customers (the players).

I am going to watch some twitch/youtube video and if I see:

- countries disbanding their troops on the first day (OPMs reducing the amount of troops by 2/3)
- debt spiral nightmare to continue to be the case.

I am 100% sure I won't buy this one ever. Not even saying anything about bugs that've been around for ages, I bet there are some new coming as well.

The devs didn't even have time to write dev diary last week (few hours of work at worst) and there's no achievements, no changelog yet. Sometimes tells me that this expansion is just yet another cashgrab.

If I see people liking the DLC and most important bugs fixed then I will change my mind and buy the game.
I completely agree and am in same situation. Usually I can’t resist and this dlc upgrades two of my fav religions (Zoro and Sikhism) but unless we vote with our wallet paradox will continue in its piss poor game design. If there is any game design at all.

Seems like the leading strategy at the moment is “right, so what can we justifiably waste time on and still sell, without having to put in any real effort”. RN there are modders that are doing a much much better job at developing the game than it’s own developers. Modders who put in more care and attention, and personal interest without any financial rewards. If the reason for a complete lack of vision for what EU4 is supposed to be, is because you (devs) know that it’s not long (relatively) till EU5; then stop churning out money grubs and make actual effort in balancing the game, giving alternate play styles and integrating currently existing mechanics in a new EU5. Rather than milking the last drops of brand loyalty from us. Brand loyalty can evaporate in one bad release. For me, the first damage was done with Golden Century and since then I’ve seen nothing that even remotely convinces me that the devs care about the game whatsoever.
If being car salesmen appeals to you that much go right ahead and follow EA down the path of ‘make as much money as we can selling whatever crap we can’ and see how long you keep your currently loyal customers. If EU5 is as poor in quality and vision as the recent work on EU4, I’m done.

Last edited:
  • 33Like
Reactions:
I can tolerate a lot of suboptimal things and even minor bugs, but alliances not working due to debt and the council of Trent for a full year is shameful. Shameful.

• 28Like
Reactions:
After the Emperor DLC it is a prudent approach to wait a week to see if the game is working. I like to play in Europe so the DLC doesn't offer too much for me but I wait for the reviews and discussions. If it is very positive and changes my current feeling on the DLC I could grab it. Otherwise since I don't see it as essential I would wait for a steam sale.

• 11Like
Reactions:
Frustrated too. I notice a lot of Paradox bugs that are cosmetic or able to worked around but frustrating that they get reported repeatedly in bug reports and don’t get fixed for months or years. I also agree that the mod community makes a lot of the games way better for free which is sad considering that it seems like we’re pay top dollar for Paradox to lend out their source code so misdeed can make a real game

• 5Like
Reactions:
ever think that Paradox is being Hit by Corona Virus Woes like so many other industries....
this last year has been crap for every DLC or movie or tv series for every company world wide. Heck i've seen bad food products... because of it.

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
ever think that Paradox is being Hit by Corona Virus Woes like so many other industries....
this last year has been crap for every DLC or movie or tv series for every company world wide. Heck i've seen bad food products... because of it.
Their programmers... they don't have to be in an office for this working at home is still optimal. Heck modders have been working under basically covid standards since the games release with way less cohesion and no monetary incentive and still mangage to create high quality mods with better improvements to the game than the official DLC.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This DLC is almost entirely pointless. Its just..... Fluff. Polynesia had almost no impact on the world during this time. I get adding flavor to the region but flooding it with pointless tags just for some joke achievements or whatever seems like a complete waste when there are regions in the game that had much more of an impact during the time and havent been touched at all. Does this dlc rework ottomans? Which at this point is just broken op and the devs refuse to do jack about it. NO. Does it add flavor and focuses to Africa and the middle east? NOPE. It does add hundreds of worthless tags i will never play and makes colonizing a bit more tedious. Yay. The only thing that caught my eye was monuments, which lets face it are broken af and would only interest the player if there was a monument that appealed to their preferred region. Which in my case there isnt. Why would i buy this. Why would i ever drop 20 dollars just to make colonizing a headache. It doesnt even balance AI colonizing. Where the new world is fully colonized in like 10 years after its discovery. I really hope there is a reason for the drop in quality with eu4. Because this DLC is a complete joke that paradox is actually charging money for.

• 8Like
Reactions:
If you are on the fence, then take alook at youtube videos or read comments at various place.

Sadly, bugfixing for EU4 has been lacking for 2020, due to a lot of circumstances, but for this expansion and for the next we are prioritising fixing bugs over major reworks.

• 41Like
  • 5Love
  • 4Haha
Reactions:

How does not having a DD relate to cashgrabs and whatnot? It was clear for weeks that they exhausted all things they could talk about the DLC so other than some pointless filler DD (like achievement DD, which is utterly pointless) that wastes both ours and developer's time, there's nothing to write. Changelogs themselves usually come a day before release.

PDS didn't report any Corona woes other than that their programmers miss working in the office.
The bigger issue is the change of developers as EUJ4 is being transferred to PDS Tinto in Spain. You aren't going to develop an ambitious DLC in this period.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If you are on the fence, then take alook at youtube videos or read comments at various place.

Sadly, bugfixing for EU4 has been lacking for 2020, due to a lot of circumstances, but for this expansion and for the next we are prioritising fixing bugs over major reworks.
Sorry, but things were said in relation to Emperor having lots of bug fixes, and most of the work on Emperor had to have been done way before 2020.

Reactions:
The only point I won't agree with is the one about dev diaries. If there is nothing more to show (the release date is not fixed by the dev team I guess) I'd rather have an announcement "nothing to show this week" rather than an almost empty dev diary

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wont buy on release. Gonna see how it goes.
Golden Century and Emperor burned me already, Portugal continues to be a meme Nation, and then I see Palacio da Pena with 20% local manpower modifier... it was finished in 1854...

Mosteiro dos Jeronimos would have been a better choice, fits the theme and timeline.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
PDS didn't report any Corona woes other than that their programmers miss working in the office.
The bigger issue is the change of developers as EUJ4 is being transferred to PDS Tinto in Spain. You aren't going to develop an ambitious DLC in this period.
Take in accountthat they planned the creation of Tinto and trasfer of EU series prior to the corona issues. And that transferring EUIV during a pandemic makes things more complicated, especially with onboarding people without face-to-face meetings. Not impossible, but makes things harder.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I will still buy it I am really interested in bug fixes and how game balance will play out

Reactions:
player since day 1. 3718h. i stopped playing after Rule Britinnia. if you want eu5, dont purchase more DLCs for EU4. easy.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Take in accountthat they planned the creation of Tinto and trasfer of EU series prior to the corona issues. And that transferring EUIV during a pandemic makes things more complicated, especially with onboarding people without face-to-face meetings. Not impossible, but makes things harder.

yeah, interacting with people and sharing knowledge is much harder without face-to-face meetings

• 2Like
Reactions: