• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zenopath

Colonel
30 Badges
Oct 30, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Impire
  • Magicka
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
I want to talk about a concept a lot of people seem to struggle with, how range would work in real space combat. I want to talk about this, because I feel there are a lot of misconceptions and maybe having a conversation would clear some of these up.

Lets break it down by catagory

1) What is the range of a kinetic round in space?

If you are aiming at something in a on the surface of an object with a fixed orbit, like a planet, its infinite. The limit here is how long are you willing to wait for your round to hit it's target, and secondly how accurate you are, but for planetary bombardments, close enough is probably within a few kilometers. Just calculate where your target will be given flight time, shoot, and forget about it, target will probably die.

But what about a moving target? It then matters how fast your round is and how fast your target is. Lets say you shoot something at 0.1c, or 10% the speed at light. It would hit with immense force, if you manage to hit. But say your target is about as far as the moon, which is 1.25 light seconds from earth. That means your target has 12.5 seconds to dodge your incoming shot. If your ship can accelerate at 1gee, 10m/s, it will be moving at 125m/s after 12.5 seconds, or average speed of 61.25m/s. that means if it accelerates in a strait line, it can dodge 765 meters from where it was originally.

So at the distance from the earth to the moon, a moving target that can pull a leisurely 1 gee of thrust, can still dodge your shots by 765 meters, making hitting a target with kinetic rounds moving at a blistering 30,000 km/s very inaccurate even at the relatively short distance from here to the moon. You could fire a spread of shots, but whatever the cross section of your target is, against a possible target area that is a circle of 765 meters radius, (1.84 square kilometers) only a tiny number of shots would hit.

If your target can move 10 times faster, (10 gees like a good jet) or your shots are 10x slower, a "mere" 3000km/s muzzle velocity, ("only" 50,000x faster than a 50 caliber round), then your effective range will be 10x less. If you tried to shoot the target near the moon, you would expect your target to be able to move 7.65 km away from your shot. Trying to hit something somewhere in an circle with a radius of 7.65 km is nearly impossible (184 sq. kilometers or about 1/4 the size of New York City).

What about orbital defenses, they don't move right? Well, the ISS does. In fact all our satellites move. They have small thrusters that push them out of the way of all the junk in space. Those guys orbiting our planet already have the tech to dodge incoming shots, called space debris, and also need to occasionally adjust their orbit so drag doesn't pull them down (in orbit there is a tiny amount of air slowing your satelite down). So assume that in the future, this will continue to be true and orbital defenses will have at least enough maneuverability to force their attacker to get reasonably close before shooting. If the satellite has even a measly 0.1 gees of thrust, it can avoid 0.1c shots from a distance of 10 light-seconds away reasonably well, since 100 seconds at 1m/s gives it an average speed of 50m/s over 100 seconds or a target circle with a radius of 5km, which is a pretty big area (78.5 square kilometers, or about 1/10 the size of New York City).

2) What about light speed weapons, like lasers?

Ok, lasers are going to be able to hit from further away. But they face an interesting problem: they get wider the further away you shoot them.

Our tech is only able to make fairly crude lasers, if you shoot a modern decent laser at the moon, they will end up kilometers wide when they hit the surface. The degree to which it can maintain its original size over distance is a measure of how focused the laser is, and we simply can't make lasers that stay focused in strait lines forever.

Even with amazing super tech, you still run into this problem, (edit) because of reasons I dont think I can properly explain, but you are free to research yourself, having to do with decoherence, divergence, and the effect of interstellar gas/dust.

In other words, physics itself makes it impossible for us to maintain a laser properly focused across interstellar distances. It in't just about how crude our tech is. You can't shoot a laser at mars and expect it to actually do anything, no matter how good your tech is, all the energy would be scattered across too wide of an area.

So what is the real range of a laser? It depends on your sci-fi tech, but in general, assume that you can't use lasers for long range bombardment like you can kinetic rounds. Kinetic rounds stay the same shape, they dont spread out and lose effectiveness over long distances. Lets go ahead and assume that future tech will allow us to shoot the moon though, since that doesn't violate the laws of physics. There would be some expansion, but at say, 1 light minute, you could still expect your laser to be able to do damage, maybe just over a wider area.

But what happens when you shoot someone who is 1 light minute away? (18 million kilometers, or 1/8th distance from earth to sun), well at that range you face two problems, you are actually shooting at where that target was 1 minute ago, and your laser will take 1 minute to reach target. Against a stationary target (orbiting on a fixed path) thats not a problem, you should be able to blast ground targets from a light minute away with very high tech focusing devices. But a moving target now has 2 minutes to dodge. If you remember from our talk about kinetic rounds, 2 minutes is a very long time. So how far could fast ship (10 gees) move in 120 seconds? 600 kilometers, which means that you could be shooting at something that will be 600 kilometers away from where you were aiming for at a distance of 1 light minute. That's a huge target circle, 600 kilometers radius is an area of 1.13 million sq. kilometers (more than 1/3rd the size of Rhode island), good luck hitting anything at that range. Although, if they didn't start moving till you shoot, they would only get 60 seconds to dodge-

So, to narrow it down to about 100 meters target radius, you are going to need to be a lot closer or be shooting at something a lot slower. Keep in mind though, these are ships that can cross entire solar systems in days that means they have to be blistering fast. To get from outer solar system to inner would take monthss at a leasurely 1g, so dont expect ships in stellaris to be that slow. So realistically, against a ship that can pull 10g's of thrust, you would want to be within 2.5 light seconds or so they "only" have 5 seconds to move away from where you were aiming, giving them a 250 meter target radius (196,250 square meters target area), which against very large ships, might score a reasonable chance to hit.

(edit) Of course, these target circles all assume that the target is able to accelerate randomly at any direction and might do so. I imagine many ships would not be able to thrust in any direction to juke any shots, so the actual target area might be smaller, and more cone shaped.

3) What is the range of a guided missile in space?

In theory, a missile could effectively have infinite range in space combat. In reality, it sort of matters how long you want to wait before your missile ever gets to its target. If you are launching your missile at a target that is just orbiting a star, then you could very well launch your missile from anywhere, and expect it to hit, eventually. We already do that when launching stuff at mars, it takes years for our rockets to reach mars, and we still have pretty good accuracy, landing our stuff where we want them to go within a few hundred meters. This means that we throw our missile at a target and it saves some fuel to slow down when it gets near Mars, and then carefully drops a package. If our missiles were more advanced than crude chemical rockets, then we could launch them at any orbiting object in our solar system, not bother to tell them to slow down, and still expect them to hit. This would be long range bombardment with missiles. Could take a while, but no range limit.

What if we are shooting at something that can move and try to shoot the missile? Well, then its more complicated, because you need to save some fuel for final maneuvers, so a missile would accelerate to get to its target quickly, then as its about to reach, it would do some evasive maneuvers to try to avoid point defenses, and importantly, it needs to be able to adjust its aim if the target does evasive maneuvers of its own. So in a situation like that, a missile's effective range is determined by how fast it is relative to its target. Being able to get there quickly means the target has less time to try to avoid the missile. Shoot from too far away, and the target can adjust its own path to such a degree that the incoming missile can't turn fast enough to compensate. You have seen this sort of thing in the movies with jets. In space it would be similar, if the missile has much faster acceleration (not final speed) than its target then its target can not evade the missile, but if the range is too great, then even a slower ship has enough time to evade the missile because the missile has to fight its own inertia to change directions if the target moves a lot.

Trade off between speed and range is complicated by the fact that the missile might not have infinite fuel, so it needs to spend some fuel to move towards target fast, then spend more fuel to course correct if the target moves. This means, that the range of a missile against a moving target is determined by the engines of both its target and the missile, and how good one is compared to the other. Once a missile has missed, there is no realistic way for it to turn around and try again, given the distances and speeds involved. So range and accuracy are a trade off, the further away you shoot a missile, the less likely it is to hit, because it gives the target more time to outmaneuver the missile.

But general, the range of a missile could well be a many times larger than even laser, because they can track their targets, and correct for any attempt to dodge, the problem of the target circle doesn't apply. If the missile tech is good, you could well still expect to hit a moving target several light minutes away, though you could be waiting hours or even days before your missiles reach.

This is why, most likely, for any foreseeable future, space combat will probably revolve around missile duels, with lasers for point defense, and no kinetic weapons except for orbital bombardment.

Thank you if you actually read this far, feel free to comment or disagree

(edit: actually I screwed up, confused acceleration with speed, someone else could check my math, but I went back and fixed the numbers as best i could...)
(edit 2: checked my numbers again, fixed some, most egregious error was confusing the speed of a 50 cal bullet, its meters/second to kilometers/second, so 1% light speed is about 50,000x faster, not 50, lol)

Last edited:
Some additional confusion exists in the use of the term "kinetic"; in reality it generally doesn't refer to the launcher but to the effect on the target being caused by impact rather than an explosive or other payload. So you could have kinetic or explosive rounds fired by a gun of some sort or launched as missiles, either of which might be guided or unguided. I agree though, guided weapons with kinetic or explosive (or microbot/nanomachine cloud) payload are probably the most realistic space weapons. A related option could be guided missiles/drones with a payload that fires a ballistic or energy weapon when it gets close enough to the target.

Although, if they didn't start moving till they saw you shoot, they would only get 60 seconds to dodge.

By the time the target sees that you shot your laser the laser beam will have already reached it. The dodging in laser duels can't be reactive, it has to be predictive. That is, in order to dodge you have to try to guess when the enemy will shoot and where it will aim. That's very hard to do, but as you demonstrated the enemy will have a hard time hitting in the first place, so it might not even be necessary to dodge per se. More likely spaceships engaged in combat would constantly be making random shifts in direction. They'd still follow a general trajectory, they would just randomly shift their position around it.

Other than that (and the nitpick about nomenclature) your analysis seems to be good and it is an interesting subject. Do you have any thoughts on non-laser energy weapons? To me they don't seem like they would be much use. Plasma would only be useful at extremely short ranges as it has an even greater problem with staying focused than lasers. And lightning weapons wouldn't work at all because 1. you need to provide a gas to conduct the electricity and 2. a spaceship is really a big Faraday cage and any delivered electric charge will just stay on the outside surface. Disruptors I can't say much about as they seem to be more of a magical fantasy weapon than anything based on known physics.

Some additional confusion exists in the use of the term "kinetic";

I suppose that's true enough. It is more proper to talk about guided and non-guided projectiles. Whether the weapon damage is delivered by sheer kinetic impact or an explosive device is less relevant to the subject of range and accuracy. But Zenopath simply adopted the terminology used by the game, which is what most will be familiar with.

Last edited:
By the time the target sees that you shot your laser the laser beam will have already reached it. The dodging in laser duels can't be reactive, it has to be predictive. That is, in order to dodge you have to try to guess when the enemy will shoot and where it will aim. That's very hard to do, but as you demonstrated the enemy will have a hard time hitting in the first place, so it might not even be necessary to dodge per se. More likely spaceships engaged in combat would constantly be making random shifts in direction. They'd still follow a general trajectory, they would just randomly shift their position around it.

The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell takes this approach to space combat. Aside from the FTL and a couple of weapons it takes a very hard sci-fi approach to warfare, with time distortion and lag from fights taking place over light-seconds of distance and at significant fractions of c having big effects on how battles play out. I'd recommend it if you have an interest in this kind of thing.

OK, someone else working on this same issue - good...

As someone pointed out, "kinetic" is somewhat inaccurate when referring to the type of movement of the attack - "ballistic" would be more appropriate probably, or "non-guided" vs. "guided". All of the Stellaris "kinetic" weapons deliver their damage through kinetic impact, but realistically so would the guided weapons (GW, missiles and torpedoes) as I've shown before. I'd probably stick to "kinetic" simply because "ballistic" and "non-guided" both also apply to beam and other energy weapons (i.e., they all follow classical mechanics to determine where they'll hit, with no corrections possible in-flight), and "kinetic" just further separates from the other unguided attacks after already being separated from GW.

There are three kinds of acceleration that a ship can apply to change their actual flight path from their previously predicted. First is with their main thrusters, and that breaks down further into in-line and directional. In-line acceleration is basically when the ship either accelerates more than it was previously or less, without changing which direction it is pointing. This is relatively simple, not very predictive, and can result in pretty significant deviations point-to-point, but it's also along the long axis of the ship and may not move the ship enough to turn a center-mass shot into a miss, depending on range/"projectile" speed, ship size, and acceleration applied.

Directional acceleration is when the ship turns from the direction of its primary vector and applies an acceleration to apply a new directional aspect to the vector. This is a little more complicated, but it creates the largest deviations from the previous flight path; it's also far more predictive to the attacker, as the observed maneuvering to bring the main thrusters around can help narrow down the possible new flight path.

Last is lateral acceleration, which is done with maneuvering thrusters, which is far subtler, less powerful (perhaps 10% of the main thrusters' force), and effective enough at moving a narrow cylindrical hull off of the targeted flight path. Gimballed main thrusters would probably be most effective, but not as likely to be designed into a ship as the superstructure would have to be dealing with main thruster force from many different directions instead of one, forcing it to be beefed up considerably and taking away operational mass capacity.

Take a look at these two links for some other similar discussions - the first is for a thread where I went over the issues with kinetic weapons when viewed from a realistic standpoint (it got crazy detailed), the second starts off with a response I gave about missile speed/acceleration.

The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell takes this approach to space combat. Aside from the FTL and a couple of weapons it takes a very hard sci-fi approach to warfare, with time distortion and lag from fights taking place over light-seconds of distance and at significant fractions of c having big effects on how battles play out. I'd recommend it if you have an interest in this kind of thing.

In Jack Campbell's series, ships get really close to each other such that they start throwing kinetic (or balistic) "grape shot" rounds at each other to try to overwhelm each other's shields. Even he makes the argument that both sides have to want to get that close though, since if one side wants to avoid that, they can, at which point they can just throw missiles at each other. I suppose if both sides want to get close to each other, then yes, they can fight with kinetic or energy weapons. They do use kinetic/balistic weapons to do planetary bombardment a lot though.

David Weber's series is more focused on missiles in a way that I think is more realistic (though i did like both series), but David Weber's ships have an interesting ability where their shields are very powerful on the undersides and top, but weak on the sides, which makes them rely on broadsides. Also David Weber's missiles use nuclear explosions to power short range high power lasers, which I think is interesting and at least theoretically possible.

All in all, it depends on how exactly your sci fi tech works. If point defense is just too good, then people wouldn't be using missiles and would instead be forced to get really close to each other, its just that, I think that with advances in stealh, ECM and multiple warheads, etc, I doubt missiles will ever be totally overwelmed by point defences to the point of uselessness like they are in Stellaris, lol

For those of you that are nitpicking the difference between kinetic and balistic, bear in mind that balistic refers to weapons that can not course correct, I.E non guided. So if a missile is balistic, it means that it burns out all its fuel and then just heads to where its going. ICBM's have no fuel on final approach, so they are called balistic. Guided missiles in space combat could go balistic if doing planetary bombardment, but against ships, they would save fuel for final approach and would not be balistic. ICBM's also rely on nuclear explosions, not kinetic explosion to do damage, and missiles in stellaris upgrade by virtue of their warheads as well, with nuclear, fusion, antimatter, etc providing greater and greater yeilds.

The problem with reling purely on kinetic impact to do damage with your missile is that if your opponent is trying to dodge, and your missile is course correcting to hit them, the final speed it hits at could actually be rather low. A kinetic impact missile is easier to dodge because it is moving so fast that it has a very hard time altering its inertia in any way, so acts more like a standard kinetic impact round like a rail gun, than a guided missile. Super fast speed at moment of impact means less accuracy for missiles.

Last edited:

I accept your critique here, what I meant perhaps was that once you start shooting at someone, they will start dodging, so while, maybe yes, that first shot might catch them with no time to dodge, continuing attacks would follow. So with a laser, which could be continuous, you would note where the laser hit or flew by (given difraction off interstellar gas would tell you where it passed) and you could start trying to dodge follow up shots, which would give you 1xlightspeed distance to avoid incoming fire.

If you were already dodging before they started shooting, then you have 2xlightspeed distance to avoid incoming fire, because your opponent is seeing where you where 1xlightspeed time ago, and then the shot reaches you 1xlightspeed time later. This could be offset by some predictive shooting, but you could be randomly throwing off their predictive shots by changing direction constantly... its hard to say exactly how effective it would be.

I work with lasers so something I have found is it is possible to focus a beam at an arbitrary point with certain lense combinations. Theoretically, it would be possible to focus a laser from earth to mars to a pinpoint. As OP said, however, the presence of particles in the near vacuum of space do present a problem. Another issue would be the size of beam needed to be able to focus at a point as far away as mars. It would need to be a massive diameter.

One very big problem with all the laser weapons is energy consumption and cooling. The power per area transferred by a laser (for long distances) is proportional to the inverse of distance squared (for "long" distances). Therefore, if a laser can transfer 1 J over 1 m to a given area, the laser must be 1 million times stronger to transfer the same energy to the same area which is 1 km away. If you want to transfer the same amount of energy which is 1 light minute again, the laser must be additionally 324 trillion times stronger. Because of that, you would need more than the yearly energy consumption of earth just for a single shot.

One very big problem with all the laser weapons is energy consumption and cooling. The power per area transferred by a laser (for long distances) is proportional to the inverse of distance squared (for "long" distances). Therefore, if a laser can transfer 1 J over 1 m to a given area, the laser must be 1 million times stronger to transfer the same energy to the same area which is 1 km away. If you want to transfer the same amount of energy which is 1 light minute again, the laser must be additionally 324 trillion times stronger. Because of that, you would need more than the yearly energy consumption of earth just for a single shot.
That is why you would only use them for pinpoint hits. Like fuel tanks or other explosive things. That would drastically decrease the energy needed to be effective. Using a laser to blow a 1m hole in something is just unrealistic. If you want to do that, use a solid object like a bullet or missile.

This isn't how lasers work. Lasers don't lose energy over a distance, they scatter. If you move the target further away, the total energy in the shot isn't decreased, but it will be spread over a larger area. How much larger depends on your equipment and how tightly you're able to fire.

This isn't how lasers work. Lasers don't lose energy over a distance, they scatter. If you move the target further away, the total energy in the shot isn't decreased, but it will be spread over a larger area. How much larger depends on your equipment and how tightly you're able to fire.
Hence, focusing lenses.

This is why I wrote "power per area" and "transfer 1 J over 1 m to a given area".

Not sure, if it is even physically possible to build lenses that could focus light over extremly large distances (e.g. 1 light minute) without being extremly large.

You are correct. That is why I mentioned the diameter of the beam being so large. You could also focus in series and keep the diameter a little smaller but you would still need a larger beam than most would think.

This is why I wrote "power per area" and "transfer 1 J over 1 m to a given area".
Sure, but there's different ways of mitigating that, like using better lenses or smaller wavelengths. Further, I should mention that diffraction increases linearly with distance, not with the square of the distance.

Sure, but there's different ways of mitigating that, like using better lenses or smaller wavelengths. Further, I should mention that diffraction increases linearly with distance, not with the square of the distance.

You are correct, but you have to consider that the diffraction happens in 2 dimensions. So if the beam radius increases linearly with the distance the cross area of the beam increases with the square of the distance. A smaller wavelength would help a bit (since the beam radius increases linearly with distance after the Rayleigh range which is indirect proportional to the wavelength), however, this would be fairly insignificant for extremly large distances.

Also, another point: even if you can get a beam or round to a far off target in a reasonable timeframe, I'd imagine targeting and firing errors would be the more significant hurdle.

One idea I came up with is to maybe deliver some smaller lasers/kinetics as a payload riding piggyback on a missile in the general area of the target, almost like a mine field the enemy ship will likely pass through. I do not know if those devices would be powerful enough to more than just scratch the enemies armor...
Still, maybe a mine field with homing and PD-evading mines may be of use.

Mine fields of any variety are unlikely to be seen in space combat because, well, space is just too big for it. The likelihood of your enemy wandering into your mine field is incredibly low, even if it does have some form of homing (in which case it's likely to be spotted by the heat it produces in moving).