• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I just realized how confusing it is if I randomly add in proposed laws to vote for right when they're proposed. Keep voting for the five votes already presented, but from now on all laws must be proposed between when the king addresses his court after an update and the deadline for council plans, upon which then they will officially be put up for a vote. Sorry for the confusion. As I've said, this is my first iAAR and I'm still trying to get things right.

Also, to help make the votes clear, I'll provide a template for you. Aristove has the right idea already.

Navarra: Diplovassalization/War/Neither/Abstain

Allies: Portugal/France/Austria/Papal State/None/Abstain (Note that you need to vote for two unless you abstain or only want one or no allies.)

War: Provence/Tunis/Castile/None/Abstain

((OOC Vote: Raise the leader limit and add in player generals using the console/Stick with the system of pretending player generals are leading the army/Abstain))

Forts Law: Yes/No/Abstain
((Edit: Amended Forts Law can be found here.))

Hopefully that helps clarify things even further. :)))

Last edited:
Navarra: Diplovassalization

We should offer the Kingdom of Navarra a chance to join our realm peacefully. It would be a shame to war a kingdom ruled by a fellow Trastamara.

Perhaps Juan II could be compensated with a duchy.

Allies: Papal State and France

It goes without saying that we should support the Holy See. We should also try to foster friendly relations with our powerful neighbor to the north.

War: Tunis

The gospel of Christ must be spread to the Mohammedans of Africa.

((OOC Vote: Raise the leader limit and add in player generals using the console))

Forts Law: Nay

-Bishop de Vascona

((If someone becomes the pope we can ignore the papal state actions for our purposes and just focus on stuff in Aragon. The player-pope could be in control of excommunicating nations and calling crusdes IG and could IC excommunicate players in the thread which could give severe maluses or maybe speak out/for a law, which could give bonuses/maluses. They could also do rp-stuff like write papal bulls or whatever.))

@Artistove

My Lord Count Cristòfor,

As resident of neighbouring Girona, I would like to offer my hearty congratulations on your recent appointment as Count of Barcelona! Very much well deserved, and I can think of no one better suited to further improve the Province, the Catalan Region, and of course Aragon as a whole.

If I can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to send word to me in Girona.

Yours truly and congratulations again,
John Kendall

Kendall Trading

Last edited:
Your Grace,

My eternal thanks to you for considering my opinion worthy of your consideration. I am truly humbled.

• Navarra: War - They are weak. We must be swift, and seize the opportunity to gain a port on the northern coast of Iberia.
  • Allies: Portugal & France - They share the same disdain for Castile as we do.
  • War: Abstain - Here though, I must reiterate the opportunity that is present for seizing the Navarran lands.
  • Forts Law: Yes - A sensible suggestion by Count Cristòfor. I agree wholeheartedly.
Forgive my forwardness, but I would like to take this opportunity to assure you I am at your disposal in terms of matters of the court. If there is any role that you see fit for me to take on, summon me whenever you wish.

Finally, I hope I do not come across as at all presumptuous in my correspondence. I am of the utmost certainty that your decisions regarding these matters will be the correct course of action.

Yours always dutifully,
John Kendall
Kendall Trading

((OOC Vote: Abstain))

Last edited:
@01smito01

My Lord Count De Pamiers,

I am hopeful that someone of your influential capacity has already heard of me, but allow me to introduce myself and offer my heartfelt congratulations on your recent appointment as Count of Roussillon.

As a resident of Girona and neighbour of yours, I hope that we can form a mutually beneficial relationship, second to our goal of serving our King and the Kingdom of Aragon of course.

If I can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to send word to me in Girona.

Yours truly,
John Kendall
Kendall Trading

Your Majesty,

I assure You that Your trust in me to govern Palermo is well-placed. I shall put this fief to the best interests of the crown. Speaking of which, I might give my opinion on the matters at hand again:
For Navarra, I cannot overstress the importance of a diplomatic vassalization. King Juan II is a Trastamara as is Your Highness, it would be against all honour to attack him without giving him a chance to give up his title peacefully. But at the same time, he is a capable ruler and very well knows the stance of the three powerful kingdoms surrounding his land. As such, attacking would be very unwise indeed, as Juan would certainly call another power, France or Castile, to help, meaning we would face a strong enemy, without much preparation. Those rattling their sabers in sight of an 'easy target' should consider this again.

As for the choice of allies, we might think about those who may provide the greatest help against our foes. France is the obvious choice, despising the Castillians as well, and close enough to be a useful ally. An alliance may also leave a better light on our involvement in Navarra and Provence with king Charles. I would also advise an alliance with the holy roman emperor, Austria. Castile is likely to seek an alliance with Burgundy against the French, and we might need a strong ally in the East to counter this. The emperor may also be of use in Provence in Italy, as well as further deter any aggression from Castillian side. Though we might need to seal both alliances at the same time, so that Austria does not disfavour us for treating with their rival.

War shall be waged upon Provence in due time. We might need time to convince Navarra, and Castile will not sit by idly. With the additional income from Provence, we will have the strength to face them and Portugal, should they side with the wrong Trastamara, but we should wait to see how that dumb king Juan will fare on the field of diplomacy.

((OOC Vote: Having player generals would certainly lead to more immersion. Though I propose you let the game roll, then refund the 50 mil power before creating the general. One can roll 4 shock generals with 0 tradition who are immensely valuable early game ;). So I am for the raising of leader limits and adding player generals through the console.)

Considering the proposal of the Marshal for a Forts Law, I have to disagree. While some forts, like the ones on the French border, can and should be mothballed if we seal an alliance, forts in vicinity of the enemy, as in Valencia, should never be undermanned, as they only show an opportunity for the enemy to quickly march in and seize it. As a military ruse to provoke an attack, that might be useful, but generalizing it for all peace times is too much.

Your humble servant,
Felice Castelozzi, Count of Palermo

To His Majesty King Alfons V de Trastámara, King of Aragon, Naples and Navarra ((not long untill they will be part of our mighty country))
From Arturo de Valencia, count of Zaragoza, and steward of kingdom of Aragon, Naples and Navarra

My lord,
On the very beginning I wish to thank You for granting me the county of Zaragoza, I promise to make the best use of it as I can. I would also like to thank you for trusting me with appointing me as Your steward, I will not disappoint you My lord!
From what I heard you require from us our opinions on several matters, and so my opinion I deliver:
Navarra: Diplovassalization unless Castille gets too close to the same thing, if they are than we must do it by War. I do know that Navarra is not a big piece of land, but every piece we prevent them from getting the weaker they are.
As for Allies: the wisest choice would be Portugal even if they also ally with Castille, they will be very useful if Juan II of Castille decides to attack us. Other ally should be the powerful kingdom of France. Their mighty armies will prove useful against our enemies, and their matters with English will soon be finished in their favour.
In the matter of war we should declare on Provence, their control of strategical province is hurting our economy and French should not worry much about one province taken from their reach. We should not anger Charles VII by taking more, since we would not be able to hold the French armies.
And finally I come to the Fort Law: to which I say Yes while our forts are our shield they are costing big part of our treasury, for that reason we should use them only when we need them ((and in-game fort with 100 man works the same as 2000 crew one, it only means that when walls are breached it's easier to take it while assaulting.)).

((OOC vote: Raise the leader limit and add in player generals using the console)

I would also propose a new law:
Artisan support act
We should support our artisans the produce valuable goods (trade goods worth at least 3) by developing their workshops. ((Increasing production development of provinces producing those trade goods to at least 5 points of dev)).

Your grace, I would also advice to increase the stability of our nation.

Your humble subject-
Arturo de Valencia

Last edited:
{{ About the forts in Rousillon and Girona they are quite a nightmare playing as the French since you have to siege both for an extensive time or suffer attrition by crossing the Pyrenees into Aragon }}

Your Majesty you have honored me with the county of Urgell and I will make everything in the short amount of time I have left to serve you !

The Kingdom of Navarra must be brought closer to our own through peace with a diplomatic vassalisation. The Basque understand fully the importance of their situation between France, English Aquitaine, Castile and our kingdom and if we were to war them then we would lose countless soldiers in their mountains and surely face the wrath of many neighbours. Let us send some gifts to enhance our relations and I'm sure the king of Navarra will accept our offer.

About alliances, we must think of protecting from our greatest threat. Italy is divided and none of its states can defeat us alone. It is not the same thing with Castile which stands on our Western border, the least defended and can outnumber our armies easily. Thus we need strong allies that can help us should the king of Toledo decide to face us for the control of the Peninsula ! Thus I recommend to ally Portugal and France. The first will divert the Castillians in the West and France will allow us to redirect ressources from our northern borders to other parts of the kingdom.

You ask about our advice for war then I answer that we need to fight the Mohamedans as often as we can. Let us reclaim Tunis from the heathen hands and rebuild a new Carthage, a Christian city that will constitute a hub for our traders on their trips throughout the Mediterranean !

The forts while costing us money can't be abandoned easily, especially not the fortifications of Valencia my King. I vote no to the Forts Act although depending on the alliance with France we could divert some ressources from Rosello and Girona.

((OOC vote: Raise the leader limit and add in player generals using the console)

Your grace,
I am honored by your faith in me to administrating the county of Sassari.

Regarding the votes,

Navarra: War
Navarra is weak and easily subjugated, and the agressive expansion will fade by the time we resume operations on the peninsula.
Allies: France and Portugal
When we declare war on Castille, even if Portugal will not join our just war, they will not interfere with our plans. As for France, allying them will secure our northern border for generations, since France completely dominates western Europe and will block any army that wish to cross from land.
War: Provence
Although the heathens in Africa are a scourge on christianity, they will still be there after we have taken Provence.
Forts Law: Yes
Keeping forts fully manned and supported is an unnecessary drain on our funds, we can man and support them when war is on the horizon instead.

((Regarding the forts, not only do they create a sphere of influence, they also prohibit an army moving through the province that the fort is on))

((OOC: Yes, it would be a fun edition, if this passes I volunteer to lead an army. So I am for raising the leader limit and add in player generals using the console))
((A question though, if a player leads an army and that army gets stackwiped, do the playergeneral die, or do the player miraculously escape somehow?))

I would also like to propose a new law:
La Guàrdia Real
Creating a Royal Guard will keep the king and his family safe, and could also be used as an elite force during times of war.
((This is although not a thing that can be implemented in game, I just thought it was a fun edition :)))

Your loyal servant,
Felipé de Alvaro

Last edited:
@Attalus

My Lord Count De Borja,

Allow me to congratulate on your recent appointment as Count of Urgell.

As a resident of Girona and neighbour of yours, I hope we can form a beneficial relationship together. I can only see such a relationship serving to support the Kingdom of Aragon, our glorious King, and only after those, each other.

Yours truly,
John Kendall
Kendall Trading

@Attalus

My Lord Count De Borja,

Allow me to congratulate on your recent appointment as Count of Urgell.

As a resident of Girona and neighbour of yours, I hope we can form a beneficial relationship together. I can only see such a relationship serving to support the Kingdom of Aragon, our glorious King, and only after those, each other.

Yours truly,
John Kendall
Kendall Trading

I am grateful for your proposal and I hope both our houses will prosper in service of our king !
-Jofré de Borja, count of Urgell

Last edited:
Your grace,
I am honored by your faith in me to administrating the county of Sassari.

Regarding the votes,

Navarra: War
Navarra is weak and easily subjugated, and the agressive expansion will fade by the time we resume operations on the peninsula.
Allies: France and Portugal
When we declare war on Castille, even if Portugal will not join our just war, they will not interfere with our plans. As for France, allying them will secure our northern border for generations, since France completely dominates western Europe and will block any army that wish to cross from land.
War: Provence
Although the heathens in Africa are a scourge on christianity, they will still be there after we have taken Provence.
Keeping forts fully manned and supported is an unnecessary drain on our funds, we can man and support them when war is on the horizon instead.

((Regarding the forts, not only do they create a sphere of influence, they also prohibit an army moving through the province that the fort is on))

((OOC: Yes, it would be a fun edition, if this passes I volunteer to lead an army. So I am for raising the leader limit and add in player generals using the console))
((A question though, if a player leads an army and that army gets stackwiped, do the playergeneral die, or do the player miraculously escape somehow?))

I would also like to propose a new law:
((This is although not a thing that can be implemented in game, I just thought it was a fun edition :)))

Your loyal servant,
Felipé de Alvaro

With all due respect the creation of a Royal Guard should in my opinion be the matter that the marshal of the real should take. But I'm not the one to decide that, and I want to say that I mean no offence by pointing that detail out.
- Arturo de Valencia, count of Zaragoza and Steward of kingdom of Aragon, Naples and Navarra

Name:
Lino Adrià María de Agramunt, Conde de Alicante
OgyAt3D.jpg

Date of birth:
June 12, 1413

Class:
Noble

Religion:
Catholic

Bio:
The House of Agramunt is not without it's own legends, but among these legends of valiant conquerors, heroic deeds, and overall military prowess stands tall the story oh how the family came to rule over Alicante, so far detached from their original homeland of Urgell.

Originally barons in the town of Agramunt (for which they are named,) they were brought south to Alicante during the Reconquista, where a junior branch of the family- Agramunt-Alicante, as history would remember them- were installed as military governors of the recently conquered city. Naturally, as the Reconquista eased down, they were never stripped of their "governor" title, and as such became a case of a Sui generis right to rule, with the Agramunt family deriving their right to rule from an installation as governors of the County of Alicante which was never rescinded or transferred.

As an individual, Lino received his training in the martial tradition, serving among the Aragonese army for much of his life. His military background and noble status place him as a firm loyalist, yet still a valiant protector of the peasantry. His family's castle is in the core of the city of Alicante, and he frequently makes visits to the Valencian coast.

187px-Escudo_de_la_Provincia_de_Alicante.svg.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
With all due respect the creation of a Royal Guard should in my opinion be the matter that the marshal of the real should take. But I'm not the one to decide that, and I want to say that I mean no offence by pointing that detail out.
- Arturo de Valencia, count of Zaragoza and Steward of kingdom of Aragon, Naples and Navarra

Of course, I merely pointed out the need for a Royal Guard, to keep the king and the royal family safe and give us an edge in war. This of course needs the support of the nobles to be effective. I thank you for your response in this matter.

Count of Sassari,
Felipé de Alvaro

My Dear Grandmaster Krik Inge,

If you ever need an extra merchant, I will be at your service.
And on the terms of the realm.
I vote Diploannexation of Navarra on the basis that if we try to attack, they may get the help of Castile, England, and France.
I vote France and Austria for allies on the basis that they are the strongest and Portugal might ally with the dirty Castilians
I vote Castile for war, because they are at there weakest right now. ((And don't have those pesky colonies.:p))
((I vote Raise the Leader Cap. and put in Player Generals, because role-playing is awesome. ))
I vote Yes for the Fort Law, on the basis that our Glourious Country will need the money to kill the dirty Castilians

Allies: Abstain

War: Abstain

((OOC Vote: Raise the leader limit and add in player generals using the console))

Ioannes places his vote privately, opting to move forward with his bold option for war against the Castilians.

The Navarran Question
1. Diplovassalization
2. War
3. Neither

While I do believe there are advantages to a quick war against the Navarra's, I do not believe it to be wise to wage more than one war and waste valuable manpower on such a campaign. Vassalization would be the best step forward for the Kingdom in regards to Navarra.

Alliances
1. Portugal
2. France

3. Austria
4. Papal State

The Portuguese are in a solid position to counter the strength of the Castilians on the western half of the Peninsula and could be a valuable ally in our goals to eventually crush the Kingdom of Castile. The French are a natural choice because of their great strength on land and moderate strength on the sea. The alliance would also hopefully ensure that they would not press their claims on the province of Roussillon.

War
1. Provence
2. Tunis
3. Castile

(elaboration below OOC)

Fort Law
YES

The forts are a drain on our income which he need in order to improve our provinces. I believe that if we are preparing to declare or anticipate a war, our Forts should be fully maintained 6 months prior to any conflict. Otherwise there is no point to having them maintained, especially if we ensure our security on the Peninsula by invading Castile.

OOC:
Raise the leader limit and add in player generals using the console.

Stick with the system of pretending player generals are leading the army.

---------

Ioannes presses forward his opinion to his fellow councilmen, asking them to consider his proposal.
"While I understand the safety in attacking the weak state heathens in Tunis, I do not believe that doing so at the moment would be the most advantageous. Our missionaries are not yet capable of converting such a large population on such a scale and the penalties from attacking across the Mediterranean would be a drain on our resources (does Tunis count as distant overseas where it is? Then it really wouldn't be worth it). I believe that Tunis would be a better option in 10 or 15 years rather than now, while the issues in Provence and Castile need to be addressed immediately.

The Duke of Provence is weak, and if we ally the French it will put him in a position of great vulnerability. Such vulnerability could be utilized whenever we wish and the province of Provence can be ours. I do not see the French attempting to conduct an invasion of the province if we pull them into a war against Castile. I do see the safety in such an invasion, as well as the benefits to our trade, but I will once again press for a slightly more bold option.

The Castilians are isolated for the moment and if we strike now, we can take advantage of such isolation. However, this invasion will hinge mostly on the support of our allies. If we can secure their support, I believe that the time is right to strike against the Castilians. The combined strength of our allied navy would crush the Castilians, allowing us to blockade their coast and crush their income from trade and other sea-based income. They also possess a gold mine that would greatly strengthen our own coffers and do better in the hands of our Kingdom, rather than theirs.

((OOCly, I think the war with Castile is the riskiest, but High Risk = High Reward. I'd like to beat down the Castilians ASAP before they can build a big group of colonial holdings and be too strong for us, really.))

Ioannes addresses the King directly

"Your Grace,

My youth in Athens consisted mostly of military training and the absorption of knowledge in regards to military tactics. It was a necessity due to the rise of the Ottomans, after all. I would like to volunteer to lead one of our armies, regardless of where we invade, in order to put these teachings into practice. I am especially familiar with offensive tactics and the mountainous terrain that makes up much of the area where I was raised has familiarized me with fighting in such areas, similar to the terrain presented in the Pyrenees.

Thank you."

It would be dishonorable for the king to strike at Navarra when diplomacy might win the day. Not only dishonorable, but distracting.

Allies: Portugal and France
Castille is our greatest threat at this time. Therefore alliances with Portugal and France would be most helpful.

War: Castile
And a bold strike against Castille would be the thing, for that matter

((OOC Vote: Stick with the system of pretending player generals are leading the army))

Forts Law: Abstain
I have not the knowledge to know if this is wise or not.

- Esteban Iglesia y Maig

(( regarding tech, I've always envisioned it in the EU games as the application of ideas, not the development of ideas. Thus spending hundreds on admin points on temples is not trying to figure out architecture, but rather convincing cities, villages, aristocrats, and others that the local temples/churches should be involved in the machinery of state. That perspective might be useful for roleplaying technology. ))

((If someone becomes the pope we can ignore the papal state actions for our purposes and just focus on stuff in Aragon. The player-pope could be in control of excommunicating nations and calling crusdes IG and could IC excommunicate players in the thread which could give severe maluses or maybe speak out/for a law, which could give bonuses/maluses. They could also do rp-stuff like write papal bulls or whatever.))

((That seems feasible. We could always roleplay it as the Papal State has delegated the tasks of government to other officials while the Pope now only deals with spiritual affairs. He can't sully himself with wordly tasks, unless they take place in Aragon. :D))

Your Grace,

My eternal thanks to you for considering my opinion worthy of your consideration. I am truly humbled.

• Navarra: War - They are weak. We must be swift, and seize the opportunity to gain a port on the northern coast of Iberia.
  • Allies: Portugal & France - They share the same disdain for Castile as we do.
  • War: Abstain - Here though, I must reiterate the opportunity that is present for seizing the Navarran lands.
  • Forts Law: Yes - A sensible suggestion by Count Cristòfor. I agree wholeheartedly.
Forgive my forwardness, but I would like to take this opportunity to assure you I am at your disposal in terms of matters of the court. If there is any role that you see fit for me to take on, summon me whenever you wish.

Finally, I hope I do not come across as at all presumptuous in my correspondence. I am of the utmost certainty that your decisions regarding these matters will be the correct course of action.

Yours always dutifully,
John Kendall
Kendall Trading

((OOC Vote: Abstain))
((OOC Vote: Having player generals would certainly lead to more immersion. Though I propose you let the game roll, then refund the 50 mil power before creating the general. One can roll 4 shock generals with 0 tradition who are immensely valuable early game ;). So I am for the raising of leader limits and adding player generals through the console.)

((I actually thought about the general thing last night and realized that using the console means that our army tradition wouldn't deplete when we recruit generals. I think I'd do what you suggested and just refund the military points. I don't think it's too gamey to do that. It does mean that if I appoint 3 generals at once, the first will have a greater advantage than the others. If there's a way to change army tradition, I may buff it so we have the same army tradition for when I appoint each general, and then drop it back down.))

I would also propose a new law:

Artisan support law
We should support our artisans the produce valuable goods (trade goods worth at least 3) by developing their workshops. ((Increasing production development of provinces producing those trade goods to at least 5 points of dev)).

Your grace, I would also advice to increase the stability of our nation.

Your humble subject-
Arturo de Valencia

We shall seek advisement on this proposal at a later time, once the Council has devised their plans. ((This will be put up for a vote later.))

- His Majesty, Alfons V de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples

{{ About the forts in Rousillon and Girona they are quite a nightmare playing as the French since you have to siege both for an extensive time or suffer attrition by crossing the Pyrenees into Aragon }}

((Ah, so there is a reason to have two next to each other. Probably should have tested out a game with Common Sense beforehand, but I don't exactly have time. :p))

Ioannes addresses the King directly

"Your Grace,

My youth in Athens consisted mostly of military training and the absorption of knowledge in regards to military tactics. It was a necessity due to the rise of the Ottomans, after all. I would like to volunteer to lead one of our armies, regardless of where we invade, in order to put these teachings into practice. I am especially familiar with offensive tactics and the mountainous terrain that makes up much of the area where I was raised has familiarized me with fighting in such areas, similar to the terrain presented in the Pyrenees.

Thank you."

We shall take this into consideration as we contemplate war. If any others wish to lead the armed forces, we will gladly hear them out as this time. ((Anyone is free to offer their service as a general now, since I probably won't be stopping the game right before the war to consult everyone again.))

- His Majesty, Alfons V de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples

(( regarding tech, I've always envisioned it in the EU games as the application of ideas, not the development of ideas. Thus spending hundreds on admin points on temples is not trying to figure out architecture, but rather convincing cities, villages, aristocrats, and others that the local temples/churches should be involved in the machinery of state. That perspective might be useful for roleplaying technology. ))

((Hmmm, an interesting perspective. It certainly makes sense when thinking about the military techs, since it would represent the implementation of new strategies, tactics, and weaponry. I could roleplay that into my updates then. :)))

((Also, is everyone here European or something because that's twice now I've been bombarded with replies while I'm sleeping. Pesky time zones. :p))

Last edited:
Reactions: